13 Pages V « < 11 12 13  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cardonaccum, The beauty of a thistle.
SubRosa
post Sep 15 2014, 02:55 PM
Post #241

Ancient
Group Icon

Now that Lady Cora has both feet planted solidly upon Mother Nirn, and that nasty Ayleid Ruin is fading from view, things are looking up. At least they have the nice California Gold Coast weather. I would suggest they try some surfing on the way, but after the boat trip, that would probably not be a good idea for Cora.

Isn't Crowhaven the abode of The Grey Prince's dear old dad? I wonder if the Lord has any female Orc servants?

Not exactly a warm welcome! The way the captain of the guard said they needed to barricade themselves before the sun went down does not bode well. I wonder if they are having vampire problems?

nits:
“The further south you go,”
I am thinking you want farther here. Further is for metaphorical distances, like sinking further in despair, where farther is for actual, physical distances, like farther down the street.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Oct 3 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #242

Mouth
Group Icon

Wow. Just, wow. I mean it, hautee, this is absolutely fantastic! All those NaNo’s have given you some serious chops, girl! Knowing that I had a (very) small role inspiring what this became is about as much validation as I will ever need as a writer. Thank you so much! I’m not fully caught up yet. My process is to read a chapter, read it again, and then read it a third time while taking notes. This is what I have so far:

- Chapters One & Two -

It was brilliant of you to delve deeply into just a few of the infinite thoughts that must be applied to the preparations for war. Cora’s decision to house the crofter’s livestock within the bailey is not only compassionate, it is tactically sound as well. This bent to her mind is further reinforced by the excellent flashback sequence you give us to end chapter one (btw, do I sense a bit of Rebecca seeping into the whole dead first wife, timid new wife scenario?). As the lady of Cardonaccum, Cora doesn’t need to extend to her full height to cast a long shadow. That is how first chapters are supposed to look! salute.gif

One nit. This...
“Does milord require anything else?” He shook my head at my question.

...was slightly confusing to me.

- Chapter Three -

Must confess to a bit of a wordgasm at:
Silence enfolded us in mutual worry as we gazed along the road that led south from Cardonaccum.

That just reads like butter, but that pretty much applies to this whole chapter. Here is where those aforementioned chops really started to kick in! The repetition of the rain and nightmare motif was masterfully handled, as was the simpler detail of Robert taking his lady’s hand to help her down the slippery steps right before formally professing his loyalty. Details like that work on many levels and convey so much while still remaining precisely what they are. Sheer virtuosity! The moment that Cora spends knealt at the cot (‘now my husband’s bier’... loved that!) with Wallace honestly made me cry.

I don’t know anyone who can introduce me to a specific animal as well as you do. Nightshade had me at the first spark. And Cora has seen the man under the hood in her nightmare? I find it interesting that she seems to know and understand the lineage that she possesses as the daughter of a Witchman, but she is so distant from it that she is still able to mistake prophecy for nightmare. That says something about the relationship she shares with her father. I will be interested to see how that is born out in the chapters to come.

- Chapter Four -

Let me take a moment to ponder: *Destri takes a moment* Rutger Hauer as Talos... Roy Batty as Talos. I can actually see it. Interesting how you see him. When I think of Talos at this stage of his life I always see Michael Fassbender... there are definite similarities!

Even in your story Talos combines ruthless calculation with singular courage. To venture into the very courtyard of your slain enemy requires a certain amount of cheek.

Speaking of which, I do have to share one thing that I found a little jarring. There was one moment in the chapter when I distictly heard hautee the writer instead of Cora the character. That was the moment when Cora ‘murmurs’ into the servant’s ear. She could have just said that she murmured her instructions (what she did say is that she murmured, then the servant went off to carry out those instructions). I know it was just a matter of style and not something done intentionally because you would have paid that off later in the scene. But drawing attention to the ‘murmur’ itself as a singular act in a first person story reads a little bit like ‘look, folks, nothing up my sleeve’ and it seemed a little cheeky for Cora IMHO. Not a nit per say, but I was a little disappointed when I reached the end of the chapter without any new knowledge about Cora's instructions.

- Chapters Five & Six -

Funny how Talos’ words were perceived as a veiled threat. I saw them as a reminder to the wife of the formidable Lord Wallace not to allow herself to be carried forth on emotion when there are matters of state left unattended. I admit that my own affection for Talos might be coloring my perspective here, especially given the fact that I know that it is an affection that you share (though I doubt either of us comes close to the good Cap’n). In those moments between them I saw Talos as affording Lady Cora the utmost respect... even as her reactions toward him are perfectly colored by the dread at having seen Talos in her recurring prophecy nightmare.

The confrontation at Sir Rodric’s cot produced exactly the tension you were going for. Cora handled herself with admirable restraint, underscoring Sir Rodric’s description of her from earlier in the chapter. One thing that I have always admired in your writing is your ability to show the moments that mark the subtle genesis of a hero (Or, in this case, a leader). Cora is a natural and she doesn’t even realize it. You did the same thing with Julian, and it is something that I unashamed to say that I plan to steal.

I must disagree with you on something you said to Cap’n Hammer (BamBam is just priceless, btw). You said that, outside of Martin, none of the other Septims had measured up. I humbly submit that Potema, Wolf Queen of Solitude, was every bit Talos’ heir. Evil is in the eye of the beholder. Remember the lengths to which Talos eventually went to secure his goals. Had Talos been an elf it would be very interesting to see how the ‘human’ races of Tamriel would have viewed him.

- Chapters Seven, Eight, & Nine -

Or, as I like to call them, the initial turning of the wheels! Cora has certainly not wasted her ten years at Cardonaccum. One must be either extraordinary, or etraordinarily delicate, to ilicit such loyalty from the smallfolk. Cora is not delicate (though she is short). BamBam nailed it again when he said that she was growing more impressive with each succeeding chapter. It is becoming increasingly apparent that she suffers from SUMS (severe, unwarranted modesty syndrom) or, as it is better known, Julian-itis. Funny how your protagonists all carry the same affliction!

Talos comes across the way you wanted. The audience with Lady Cora laid things out along the lines that I expected, and his willingness to leave without an answer when he just as easily could have coerced one makes me believe that he has seen enough of Cora to trust her to best gauge what is in her best interest.

I'll leave off for now with the barbarians legions at the gate. But don't worry, I couldn't quit reading it now if I wanted to. You have no idea how much I've missed this!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 5 2014, 10:49 AM
Post #243

Master
Group Icon

I'm all caught up! I really enjoyed these last few chapters on the boat to be especially enjoyable, and as always your penchant for using details to make the world seem authentic; this time with the way you talked about what the cogs and the Arpenmalatu were capable and not capable of; made the story all the more interesting.

I was quite interested in the fact that Cora experienced the usual symptoms on Nirn-deprivation while on the sea, considering that both land and sea are large spaces that are very hospitable towards organic life (namely, rich in carbon, with large amounts living/decomposed organic matter always present [humus on the land, phytoplankton on the sea] to draw/vent arcane power from) and they're both sufficiently 'mystical' to serve as a magical lightning conductor, which seems to be the sort of thing Cora needs.

So, this lead me on to thinking one of three things; 1: With Cora being insulated from the sea's power by the deck of the Arpenmalatu, and thus unable to let it serve the same role that solid ground serves for her. I suppose there's the chance that she might discover that she can use the ocean in the same way she uses solid ground when she goes for a paddle. Either that, or she just needs to learn how to manage her magicka differently while on the water, seeing as they are different in a lot of ways as well as very similar.
2: This power is greatly dependent on chemical composition of the soil around her, and is something that can be altered depending on the geology of where she is; she may be 'adapted' to the fertile ground around Cardonaccum and so may draw power from Hummus-rich, carbonated and fertiliser-rich soil with the right pH, but may find herself in trouble if she goes to an area which is sandy, rocky or just chemically different from Cardonaccum to some notable degree (such as highly alkaline soil). I have no idea whether or not she could adjust her magicka in some way to learn to conduct power through that ground as she might be able to do so with the sea.
3: I'm just really, really overthinking things.

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: Oct 5 2014, 10:50 AM
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 14 2014, 01:16 AM
Post #244

Master
Group Icon

Grits: It's good to be back! The summer was kind of hectic, and things got away from me for a bit. TES V didn't help. At. All. mellow.gif

McB: Don't worry, mate! You'll catch up -- eventually. wink.gif Glad you liked the next three chapters!

ghastley: All right, all right! Here's the next one, just for you! tongue.gif

Acadian: I'm glad you're curious about Ft. Crowhaven. I have more detail about the place coming up. You may find it unrecognizable compared to the musty, forgotten dungeon Buffy's used to. Just keep in mind this story takes about 400 years before Buffy's Oblivion adventures!

Sage Rose: You are right in detecting a shade of problems in the captain's comment about barricading the castle before sundown. We are about to see what happens next! As for the further/farther thing, I gave it serious consideration. You are absolutely right that farther would be the better choice here. Yet, this is dialog, and at least around here, people interchange further/farther rather freely. Annoying, I know, but I'm guilty of that myself. I'm still undecided whether or not to change it as you suggest.

Destri: OMG! You are BAAAACK! I can't tell you how thrilled I am to know that you are reading this story. Of course your talent as a world-building and writer has been a huge inspiration for this little tale. Okay, it's not so little by now. But I hope you continue reading and enjoying it as we go along. Thanks very much for your feedback, it's good to have fresh eyes on the early parts, especially as I'm picking up after a prolonged absence.

Colonel Mustard: Umm, I rather suspect you're overthinking things a bit here. Instead of Nirn being the source of all carbon-based life, I rather see Lady Cora's Nirn Goddess as being at the center of things, i.e. at the core of this little planet. As volcanic activity is muted on the ocean, so is Nirn's strength muted for Lady Cora. The heat at the Earth's core drives everything on its surface, but nowhere is it so evident as it is in the volcanoes. For Lady Cora, the ocean muffles the strength she draws from Nirn to a greater degree than does riding a horse. In any case, I'm delighted that you are busy thinking through implications of the story, simply because it makes me see it from a different perspective and can often be inspirational!

The story so far: Our intrepid trio has made landfall on the Gold Coast and, with First Mate Karim, hiked south to Crowhaven for the night. Their reception was somewhat less than warm, but Lady Cora and her maid Morna are too tired to care overmuch.

Chapter Forty-three

Fulbenus avoided our eyes as we passed him and stumbled toward the gates. My muscles cried for relief and a warm, soft bed. My skin felt hot, and I realized that I must be as sunburned as Morna. I focused instead on keeping my feet moving, aware of the frequent glances from Titus as he matched my stride, ready to catch me should I falter.

We must have been quite the bedraggled sight, sunburned and sand-crusted, to the folk of the fort as we entered the courtyard. Unlike Cardonaccum, Crowhaven lacked the typical keep within walls. Rather, its walls were the keep, wide and squat, open to the stars above with steps leading up to two ring galleries that lined the walls. Torches flared in the growing gloom, vainly keeping the shadows at bay. On the ground level horses stamped in picket lines, and a farrier worked his forge with barely a glance at us.

Unlike the entrance at Cardonaccum, which opened into the great hall, the broad squat wooden door we entered let us into a stone passageway that led downward. Torches cast warm pools of light onto a bare stone floor. Morna hesitated with a whimper, but I followed the captain and Titus without hesitation, for Nirn’s influence embraced me, from the floor, the walls and the ceiling.

A short distance within, the passageway became a staircase dropping down into a chamber with a high ceiling. Braziers chased away the chill present in the stones. Two open hearths, one on each side, provided warmth and cooking pots. The ring mail of the militia clinked softly as they moved between the hearths and the benches set along the walls.

On the far side, another passageway led further into the fort. The captain led us through a twisting maze, past weapons racks and armories, past sleeping areas where several guards burrowed beneath woolen blankets, past a small room where men and women gathered around a game of tumblebones.

Finally we passed through a small wooden door into a hallway which opened into an immense chamber. A raised dais filled much of the space, leaving a narrow walkway around its bulk. The captain led us up a flight of stairs onto the top of the platform.

“Lord Vant,” he slammed fist to cuirass and bowed slightly in the Legion salute. “I bring to you Lieutenant Alorius and companions.”

“Lieutenant!” A lean, dark man turned from a wide table. “What brings you here? Is General Talos with you?”

“No, Lord Vant,” Titus answered. “He is encamped outside Cyrodiil City. We are on our way to rejoin him.”

“You were in High Rock, weren’t you?” Vant drew near, and his dark eyes passed over Morna and Karim before settling on me. “And who are your companions?”

“Yes, we come from High Rock,” Titus turned to me. “This is Lady Cora, Lord Cardonaccum. She has been invited to attend the Emperor’s Day in Cyrodiil City.”

Vant’s brows rose. “Emperor’s Day?” he repeated. “We have not had an Emperor in — oh, I see.” Comprehension swept over his face as his eyes sought the stone ceiling above. "So King Cuhlecain's ambition mounts ever higher?" He lowered his gaze back to Titus. "Wouldn't that be considered hubris?"

"Or audacity," Titus responded.

"Now that," Vant tipped his index finger toward Titus, "is a more apt description of your General Talos." His gaze moved over us. "But your journey has been eventful?"

"We had to make landfall near Beldaburo," Titus straightened his shoulders. "We seek shelter for the night, for we must meet my Legion in Anvil tomorrow."

"You had no trouble on the way here, I hope?" Vant eyed Morna and I speculatively. I shook my head in response.

"If you may be p- pleased, Lord Vant," I put on my best Lady tone, "we are weary and wish only a safe place to lay our heads."

"This is a fighting fort," Vant spread his hands expressively. "As such, our quarters are rather spare."

"Lord Vant," I lifted my chin and met his gaze squarely, "As long as it is c- clean and vermin-free, any accommodations you can provide within these walls will be much more than adequate."

The Colovian regarded me dubiously. "Then I hope you will not have cause to complain, Lord Cardonaccum." His eyes connected with those of a soldier beyond us, and a silent communication passed between them.

The soldier stepped forward. "If Lord Vant's guests will follow me, I will show them to where they may spend the night." Again he exchanged glances with the nobleman. "I think they will find the most suitable accommodations in the Lady's old quarters."

"Thank you, Madsen," Vant turned back to the table and shuffled some papers. "I will stop by in a little while to ensure your comfort, Lady. But now I must ready the fort for the night."

As I turned to follow the man named Madsen, I caught the sharp glance Titus sent in the direction of Lord Vant. Then the lieutenant moved to my side and we moved out of the hall.

"Is th- there something wrong?" I whispered for Titus's ears only.

"I'm sure Lord Vant has things under control," he responded. "But things are different from the last time I stopped here . . ."

"Can he be t- trusted?" I stifled the sudden twinge of alarm at the undercurrent in his tone.

"More than Baron Schiavalli of Anvil," Titus shrugged, his face impassive in the flickering torchlight. "At least we will be under shelter tonight."

But will we be treated as honored guests? I wondered silently to myself. Or as hostages?

Madsen led us through a short and wide passageway to another stout wooden door. "Wait here," he instructed as he swung the door back. "Let me light the tapers first." He set the torch in a bracket just inside the entrance and touched a wick to the flame. His form disappeared into the deep shadows within, only his hand visible in the dim glow of the wick.

Suddenly the tiny flame separated into six, and the glow brightened to shed light onto a table top in the center of the space. Beyond I could just make out the edge of a wooden furnishing. Titus led me into the room, and I paused beside the round table. Behind me Morna sighed in weariness that echoed my own. Karim stepped past us and plucked a taper from the candelabra and moved after Madsen.

Moments later the silent Ra'Gada knelt silhouetted against the roaring fire he had built in the hearth. The flickering light illuminated more of the room, showing simple stools and cots around the walls. Madsen, still carrying the wick, moved around the chamber lighting braziers set against the four sides. He returned to the table and extinguished his flame.

"We will bring refreshments along shortly," he addressed Titus. "They will be simple, but I trust everyone will find them satisfactory." Madsen caught my gaze and directed my attention to a pair of leather screens set against the wall. "When the Lady stayed here, she would use them for privacy. Feel free to set them however you wish."

"Thank you, M- Madsen," I responded and moved to the hearth. "I'm sure we will be quite comfortable tonight." Already I felt stronger, thanks to the presence of Nirn in the stones all around us.

His ring mail clinked softly as the soldier inclined his head to me and saluted Titus with fist to chest. As he left the room, Titus set his pack down on the table and looked around the room. Morna moved to one of the cots and patted it warily. She coughed at the dust that wafted up from the furs and drew back.

"Nothing that a good shake won't solve," she murmured stoutly, and proceeded to gather armfuls of the pelts from two of the cots. Titus and Karim watched in some bemusement as she bustled out of the room into the wide passageway beyond and began flapping each fur vigorously. Briefly I wondered at her sudden burst of energy, but realized that as tired as she was, Morna retained her pragmatic outlook. She must be glad of the excuse to be useful in some way.

"Here, madam," Karim made a show of sweeping dust from a stool he set beside the hearth. I set my bag beside Titus's larger pack on the table and moved to take my seat. A sigh escaped my lips as my weight eased from my sore feet. I pulled the hem of my skirt back and stretched my toes toward the fire.

"Don't worry, Lady," Titus said to me as Morna returned with the bedding and spread them on the cots. "The hardest part of the journey is over. There is a clear path from here to the Gold Road, then a walk of just a few hours down to Anvil and the port. Downhill all the way!"

I smiled at his words. "Th- thank you for the encouragement, Lieutenant," I stretched my lower back. I met his gaze as Titus drew a second stool and settled beside me. "But is it my imagination, or was our welcome here less th- than you expected?"

Titus fell silent, his gaze on his outstretched boots.

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: May 16 2015, 05:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 14 2014, 04:54 PM
Post #245

Paladin
Group Icon

So nice to see you continuing this!

You are building a wonderful air of foreboding mystery within the dark walls of Crowhaven. Happily, Lady Nirn’s essence carries through the stones to Lady Cora’s feet. happy.gif That makes the fort better than the ship at this point, I’d imagine.

Lord Vant's brief discussion with Titus about Cuhlecain and Talos served as an effective and gentle reminder of ‘where we are in the story’.

I wonder what takes place outside the fort at night causing those within to be so concerned about its nocturnal security? Oh well, despite Titus’ brooding – and I wouldn't bet against his judgment there – they are warm and dry, with good prospects for bedding and food.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 14 2014, 10:54 PM
Post #246

Ancient
Group Icon

At least the subterranean style keep is welcome relief for Cora's Nirn-needy body.

So Lord Vant is in charge? I was half expecting it to be the Grey Prince's father.

And of course it is Cyrodiil City, with the lack of current Empire. Though as Lord Vant noted, King Cuce certainly has ideas otherwise. So too of course does his general Talos... I could not help but smile at Vant's characterization of Talos being the audacious one. It reminds me of R.E. Lee, who was once described as being audacity personified.

I wonder if Madsen's first name is Michael? Or Virginia?

"The hardest part of the journey is over.
Oh Titus had to go and ruin it all by saying that! Now disaster is certain to strike our travellers.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 14 2014, 10:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 15 2014, 10:55 AM
Post #247

Master
Group Icon

Yeah, I thought I was overthinking things. You're welcome to any of those ideas if you find use for them, though biggrin.gif

If there's one thing I like about this chapter, though it's that you introduced a character called Madsen, simply because I also had a character called Madsen in one of my old fics. It was nice.

I liked Cora's observations on the fort being mostly underground as being slightly strange (or at least, different from the more traditionally fort-like architecture of Cardonaccum*); they mirrored my own when I first went poking around in Crowhaven. This was a nicely atmospheric chapter, and I like the sense of foreboding that came from both Lord Vant and whatever it is he's barricading the castle against. It certainly leaves me wondering exactly what it is they're worried about.

*you could say that building normal castles in not Lord Vant's forte! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHpleasehelpmeI'mdeadinside
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 15 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #248

Councilor
Group Icon

"Is there something wrong?" I whispered for Titus's ears only.

"I'm sure Lord Vant has things under control," he responded. "But things are different from the last time I stopped here . . ."

This hints that Titus isn't sure, and makes me wonder what "things" will turn out to be.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 18 2014, 05:07 PM
Post #249

Councilor
Group Icon

"Don't worry, Lady," Titus said to me as Morna returned with the bedding and spread them on the cots. "The hardest part of the journey is over. There is a clear path from here to the Gold Road, then a walk of just a few hours down to Anvil and the port. Downhill all the way!"

Uh oh! tongue.gif

I felt like I was right there with Lady Cora throughout her journey to the depths of the fort. Morna was wonderful, perking back up when she discovered dirt to conquer. I too am wondering what the nocturnal threat could be. How I have missed Lady Cora!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 19 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #250

Master
Group Icon

First an interesting observation:

I realized, in reviewing my recent chapters, that I had dropped Lady Cora's stutter in the last post. nono.gif What's even more interesting is that no one here has commented on that! blink.gif Have we become so accustomed to her disability that it is now invisible to us? I see that all the time in my own family - my mother will be speaking to me, but her face is turned away so I can't lipread her. You would think after forty-nine years she'd know better -- blink.gif laugh.gif

@Acadian: Yes, our intrepid folk are warm and dry, and looking forward to food and bed! Yet that sense of foreboding you remark on is pretty strong to both Lady Cora and Titus, and I don't doubt Karim senses it as well, though he remains unsmilingly taciturn. If Morna feels anything, it's the others' own doubts more than anything else.

@SubRosa: Welcome relief indeed! From famine to feast! Lady Cora is glad of the embrace of the cold stones. While she enjoys fresh air and sunshine like anyone else who is not a vampire, she is so Nirn-starved that she just wants to sleep deep in the dungeons of Fort Crowhaven. I figure the Grey Prince's father Loviducus comes about 200 years later. As for Madsen, I'd go with Michael. He's the weatherbeaten one. Virginia's the glam doll. Both are darn sexy, IMHO. hubbahubba.gif

@Colonel Mustard: I'm glad you enjoyed Lady Cora's foray into the bowels of Crowhaven. I wanted to show it in its heyday as an outpost of County Anvil, back when its lords were semi-independent and had their own militias due to the political climate of those days. Thanks for the ideas, we'll see how things go.

@ghastley: I loved how Titus contradicts himself here. He tries to be reassuring, but at the same time he knows Lady Cora is not one to be lightly brushed off with inane platitudes.

@Grits: Isn't Morna a cute one? I find her delightful to write. She's so out of her depth here, that she finds comfort in the oddest things.

The story so far: Our intrepid adventurers have reached Fort Crowhaven and are now sheltering within its depths. Just in time for nighttime activities, it seems!

Chapter Forty-four

"I trust you find the accommodations suitable, Lady?" Lord Vant's question reached us from the open doorway. I tried to suppress my guilty start as I turned my head toward his sturdy frame. "No, don't get up on my account," he held his hand out to stop me when I gathered my skirts. "You've walked a long way to get here, and the climb up the western bluffs isn't easy."

"No, it wasn't, s- sir," I managed to reply. "But I am not unaccustomed to such hard t- travel.” I sensed Karim's glance at me. "By land, at least."

"Then we must ensure you have the refreshments you need," Lord Vant stepped aside as Madsen returned with two other soldiers, one male and one female. All bore wide trays, and I could see fresh linens, covered dishes and flagons on them. Morna immediately claimed the clean bedding from the bemused woman, and began preparing the beds for sleep.

Lord Vant waited while the three soldiers served us with bowls of warm mutton stew, hard crusty bread, and a choice of beverages. I chose water, while Titus took wine. The cots finished, Morna joined Karim in sampling the ale. After Madsen and his comrades left, Lord Vant joined us at the round table and helped himself to some of the wine.

Being men, Titus and Karim finished their meals first. Titus leaned back with his goblet and met Lord Vant's gaze. "Tell me, sir," he rolled the wine between his fingers. "What concerns you tonight?"

"Many things," Lord Vant replied. "Who will win this war -- will the side I have chosen be victorious? Will Baron Schiavalli allow me to continue as Talos's ally? Or will he remove me from my post here at Fort Crowhaven? What of old Cynebald over in Sutch?" He regarded the wine in the depths of his cup. "Is the fort ready for siege, should it come to it?"

"Those are the same concerns you had the last time we met, Lord Vant," Titus murmured. "But there is something different this time. Your captain mentioned barricading this castle before sundown. Against what?"

Lord Vant slid a sidelong glance at me. "It is not something I wish to discuss in front of present company, Lieutenant."

Titus made a soft noise. "Lady Cora is Lord of her holding in every way that matters, sir. She has led fighting men in siege and in peace. She is no stranger to war."

Lord Vant's brows rose at me. I lowered my eyes and sipped demurely from my pewter cup. "Which r- ruler has the Way?" I quoted softly. "Which general has greater ability? Who has g- gained the advantages of Aetherius and Nirn? Whose laws are more thoroughly implemented? Whose f- forces are stronger? Whose officers and troops are better trained? Whose rewards and p- punishments are clearer? From these I will know victory and defeat!"

Lord Vant regarded me for several breaths, his goblet halfway to open mouth. In the corner of my gaze I watched Titus hide his smile in a sip of wine.

"Well," Lord Vant said finally. He lowered the cup and turned his gaze to the ceiling above. "As for strategic power, it is controlling the tactical imbalance of power in accord with the gains to be realized."

I smiled at the familiar quotation. "Warfare is the Tao of d- deception,” I countered. "Please, Lord Vant, answer Lieutenant Alorius's question. I await your answer with much c- curiosity.”

Lord Vant cleared his throat and took another sip. "We are not certain just what is going on," he muttered. "Guards have gone missing at night. First it was just one, or two, and we thought they had taken off to Anvil for a night of carousing. But they never came back. Then one of our women noticed the horses growing anxious after sundown. By morning they would be soaked in sweat and exhausted." He sighed. "Last week several of our night watch reported that comrades would disappear from beside them. Last night our battlemage went up on the ramparts. She hasn't yet returned."

"She disappeared, too?" Titus asked, his brows lifted incredulously. Lord Vant nodded grimly.

"And now we are defenseless against magical attack," his tone held a fatalistic grimness.

I considered his words. "Would it be p- possible for me to see the horses tonight?" I asked softly. "Perhaps I can keep them calm."

Lord Vant began to shake his head, but stopped at Titus's steady regard of me. "I do not wish evil to befall our guests tonight," he set the goblet down and rose to his feet. "Forgive me, Lady Cora, for not accepting your assistance tonight." He bowed to me, then nodded at Karim and Morna before turning to Titus. "I advise all of you to remain here until sunrise. You will be protected from whatever it is that besieges us." He glanced at me once more. "Sleep well, my friends."

We stared after his departing form silently. When the door closed behind him, Titus set his goblet down and turned to the fire. I studied him for a moment, then drew breath.

"Lieutenant, what will you d- do?”

He shook himself. "Nothing, it seems." He leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees, still avoiding my gaze. "My first responsibility is to keep you safe, Lady."

I rose to my feet and moved toward the door. Morna exclaimed and shoved her stool back. "Milady!" she called to me. "Surely you are not thinking of --!"

I turned back to see Karim and Titus on their feet as well. "I am th- thinking of the horses," I said quietly. "Something is frightening them badly. I d- do not wish to sit idle here while they suffer in terror the entire night."

"Madam," Karim stepped forward. "It can be dangerous tonight. If the castle is breached, " he stopped, his eyes narrowed in the shadows beneath his brows.

"If the c- castle is breached, Karim," I countered, "would we be safe down here? This is a d- dead end, as far as I can tell, with only one way out -- the way we came in." I shook my head. "I'm like the h- horses. I like knowing I can get away if I must."

"Lady," Titus's voice was deceptively calm. "Are you immune to magical attacks?"

I considered his question. Am I? Maybe that is why I survived my father's "test" all those years ago, the test I supposedly failed. "It's t- true, magic has no effect on me," I said finally. "But I am not immune to normal weapons."

"All the more reason to stay here," Titus said finally. "Remember, you are not immune to horses' hooves, either."

I winced at his reminder of my adventures last spring. In spite of myself, I breathed deeply against the healed fractures in my ribs. "And you, Lieutenant, are not immune to either magic or m- mundane weapons. Does that s- stop you from heading out into battle?"

He lifted his brows at me. "But I am trained to use and defend against weapons," he countered softly. "And I am sworn to protect you, Lady." He tilted his head and spread his hands expressively. "Would Robert Whitearm permit you to go out on a night like this?"

I sighed and returned to the table. "I do not like sitting here with my head in the g- gorse bushes while men and women out there may be dying," I said finally. "But you are right, Lieutenant. I am not t- trained to defend myself against either weapons nor magic."

"We are weary," Titus nodded toward the cots. "Let us get as much rest as possible, and we shall leave at first light."

"Sensible advice for a change!" Morna exclaimed, and bustled to the cots. She began struggling with one of the screens. With an inscrutable glance at me, Karim moved to assist her, and before long two cots were shielded from the room. I noted that Morna was careful to include one of the braziers in the enclosed corner, and smiled to myself at her practicality.

"Thank you, Morna," I moved to one of the cots. "And you as well, Karim. I am g- grateful always for your presence and assistance."

The Ra'Gada shot me a startled glance, then inclined his head. "You are always welcome, Madam," his voice was soft and bland. He drew back to the fire. As I settled within the furs of my cot, I listened to their soft murmurs. Then my body reminded me of the exhausting day, and the debilitating storm of the previous day. Please, Goddess, no nightmares tonight. I have had enough to last me the rest of my life! I barely had time for that last thought before sleep overwhelmed me.

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Sep 14 2015, 02:29 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 20 2014, 12:15 AM
Post #251

Paladin
Group Icon

Heh, Lady Cora’s stutter is back. biggrin.gif And finally, we get fed! Hot stew and crusty bread’ll do nicely.

And finally, Vant opens up some, but reveals more questions than answers. kvleft.gif

"I'm like the h- horses. I like knowing I can get away if I must." - - Good thinking! In addition to her concern for the animals’ welfare and the sentiment she expressed in the quote, I suspect she’s also interested in trying to let the horses communicate to her what is frightening them.

Titus continues to shine. Long ago, you said I’d like him. And you’re right. goodjob.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 20 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #252

Councilor
Group Icon

An interesting dilemma. Staying deep inside the fort appears to keep them safe from randomly disappearing, but it's a dead end if anyone invades.

I think they made the right choice, as breaching the fort hasn't happened, and the other threat has, several times already.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 21 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #253

Master
Group Icon

Well, this is a little concerning. Not entirely sure what's causing this, but I'm guessing communists. Or vampires. Communist vampires.

Cora's conundrum (Corandrum?) is an interesting one; on one hand, they have much more easily defended spot down in the fort, but on the other they're reduced to being purely reactionary, and are kind of stuck if the defecation really hits the oscillation.

I'm also interested to see what Cora can do if her back's really up against the wall. With the bandits she just ran (a perfectly legit strategy, mind) but considering the discussion that she had with Titus about his capabilities compared to her own I'm getting the feeling that something is going to come up. Even if nothing happens tonight, I get the impression Cora isn't going to be content to just go on her way while people are disappearing in the night.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 23 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #254

Ancient
Group Icon

Morna is all over the fresh linen! I am the same way at my job really. When see something that fall under my domain, I am immediately all over it.

A nice translation of The Art of War, by Talos Stormcrown! biggrin.gif

Titus seems to have won the argument about the horses. Seems to. I would not be surprised if Cora finds her way out to the stables nontheless!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 25 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #255

Councilor
Group Icon

Morna is ready for some rest! She has the right idea. Make the beds first, so it’s already done when you fall over from exhaustion.

The nighttime disappearances are certainly alarming. Staying indoors seems the safe choice, especially since Lady Cora would endanger her entire entourage if they all trailed after her into the night. She doesn’t have a history of peaceful sleep, though. There may be more to this night!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 14 2015, 04:53 AM
Post #256

Master
Group Icon

@Acadian: The worst part about writing like this is that I lose practice writing Lady Cora's voice! I have to pay attention and make sure her stutter surfaces at the appropriate times! biggrin.gif

@ghastley: Yes, I suppose you're right, ghastley. It's better to stick with what has worked in the past. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

@Mustard: Interesting that you should bring up communist vampires. We'll see just how right you are! As for what Lady Cora will do when her back is up against a wall, you're about to find out!

@Sage Rose: You are right, Lady Cora is the master of passive-aggressive disobedience. In that sense she is much like dear Cinnie.

@Grits: More to this night indeed!

It's been a while, and this story yet continues to resurface. Lady Cora has been growing ever more impatient while I've been off exploring Skyrim first with Alise then with Hallkatla. Finally she sat me down and made me finish this next installment. Hopefully we can continue with more soon . . .

When we last visited Lady Cora, she had just survived an arduous sea journey and made her way to Fort Crowhaven. Now recall this is not the abandoned Fort known from the Grey Prince's story, and Lord Lovidicus does not yet exist. In any case, we have a mysterious nighttime danger that is assaulting the garrison of the fort, and both Lord Vant and Lieutenant Alorius have advised our Lady Cora that she is to stay safe within the depths of the fort.

Chapter Forty-five

This time it was not the old nightmares that disturbed me, but rather an oppressive feeling of impending danger. I started awake, and strained to make out the whispers from the other side of the privacy screens. I glanced over at Morna, but she slumbered on obliviously.

The silence drove me out from beneath the warm furs into the cool dampness of the subterranean room. I moved past the screens to the main part of the chamber. The dim glow of the banked fire revealed little other than the absence of the two men. My eyes drifted over the empty space toward the doorway. What time is it? While I felt relatively safe within Nirn's embrace, I hated losing track of time underground.

My cloak hung beside the fire, where Morna had left it to air out. I wrapped it around my shoulders, then moved to the portal that led into the rest of the structure. Silence persisted in the corridor beyond as I retraced our earlier steps. Darkness separated pools of torchlight and barely hid the emptiness of the fort. I paused in the common hall and gazed upward toward the shadowed ceiling. My ears strained for any sound, and heard nothing.

Have everyone been taken tonight? Or are they all out there, on the walls? The old stones held their breaths as my toes sought the strength of Nirn. The familiar comfort strengthened my knees as I gathered my skirts and moved up the stairs toward the entry passage.

As I neared the wooden door that kept out the unknown danger, my flesh began to tingle. I stopped, puzzled by the sensation. Magic? But it is not like any I’ve felt before. It felt not like normal magicka, not even like that surge of healing light General Talos had poured into my wounded self. No, it feels - rotten? Stale? A sudden image of the abattoir at Cardonaccum surfaced in my memory, its walls stained with dried blood after the fall slaughter. The horses!

I pushed the door open onto a scene of confusion. Darkness swirled with red and gold torchlight throughout the keep’s sheltered courtyard, and flickered along its galleries. Shadowed forms shouted at each other, weapons swung at vague shapes that faded from sight.

An equine scream drew my attention to the picket lines. Horses scrambled against their restraints, swinging their hindquarters toward some unseen enemy. Sparks flew from shod feet as heads tossed restlessly. Their fear drew me toward them, and I darted in their direction.

“Lady!” A shout distracted me just as I reached the nearest steed. My hand on its lathered shoulder, I glanced over my shoulder as the guard ran toward me, his shield stretched toward me. The tingling sensation grew stronger, until I could almost smell old iron.

The horse screamed and reared as I watched an impossibly tall shadow rise beyond the guard. The man’s attention on me, he grasped for my shoulder just as the other pounced. Before I could shout a warning, the guard crumpled beneath the attack, the black crow of his shield clattering at my feet. Blood splattered across the hem of my robe, and I heard a slurping sound.

Then the angular shape shifted, and I stared in horror at the gaunt visage, pale in the flickering torchlight, black fluid dripping from long fangs. Then I understood the source of the tingling. Vampire! As its pale red gaze met mine, I stepped back against the quivering horse behind me.

“CORA!” Lieutenant Alorius’s voice shattered the air, but I could not take my eyes from the hissing creature before me. As it rose to its fullest height, taller than any scarecrow, awkward-limbed and yet oddly graceful in its movements, our gazes remained locked. The vampire licked its fangs as long fingers reached toward me. Behind it, another unnatural form darted toward the fallen guardsman. A groan told me the man still lived. Anger surged in my throat, the anger I had inherited from my father.

Goddess, I whispered voicelessly. Cold, comforting darkness surged into my body, through my arms into my hands as I lifted them to the vampire. The creature hesitated, and its eyes flashed wide when I caught its fingers. “Foulness,” I breathed, “begone into the Void where you belong.”

The vampire’s shriek, almost too high-pitched to hear, crackled across the courtyard. The horse behind me tore the line from its moorings and led a scrambling retreat as smoke wreathed the unholy one. It attempted vainly to free itself from my grasp, but Nirn gave me a strength that surpassed the Divines.

The cold, dark energy turned red hot as it enveloped the vampire in furious heat and absorbed its very form. As the last of its flesh dissolved from my hands, that power surged toward the one that crouched over the guardsman. Weaker than the first, the underling disappeared with a whimper, leaving the man untouched.

That anger did not subside as I turned my gaze away from the injured man and saw more of the ephemeral bloodsuckers. My hands rose toward the sky, and my left foot stamped the stones of the courtyard hard enough to shatter my bones. Yet I did not shatter, though the pavement cracked beneath my feet. Orange heat surged away in a widening circle that swept all of the unholy creatures into nonexistence. My anger, fueled by Nirn’s power, washed over the entire fort. Torches winked out amid shouts of bemused wonder.

Above me, stars whirled in a clearing night sky as my fury winked out. Suddenly weak, I dropped to my knees beside the fallen guardsman. I barely touched his face before Titus caught my shoulders. Once again I felt the cold darkness, and realized that the metallic tingling that had disturbed me was now undetectable.

“Lady!” Lieutenant Alorius’s exclamation followed me into darkness.

Child, you now know your power, my mother’s voice reached me from the depths of emptiness. You are the conduit through which the Goddess restores balance. As long as your feet remain connected to Nirn, her very core will protect you. And her power is great. Very, very great. Use it sparingly. And never use it for selfish purposes.

“Lady?” Titus’s anxious tone greeted my return to myself. My gaze moved past his worried visage to the stars beyond his head. “Lady Cora, can you hear me?”

“Y- yes,” I managed to whisper. My fingers touched his on my shoulder reassuringly before I struggled to sit up. His arm across my back supported me as I glanced toward the guardsman. Momentary alarm surged through me at the absence of his still form. “Did he —?”

“He lives,” Titus assured me. “They brought him inside to heal him.”

“Have the priest b- bless him,” I murmured, trying to swallow moisture back into my throat.

“Bless him?” Lieutenant Alorius repeated. “Do you know something of this attack?”

I cast my gaze around. The horses stood huddled several feet away, the picket lines still trailing after them. Several of them watched me warily, but they seemed calm. I saw no awkwardly-limbed vaporous shapes stalking the guardsmen as they bustled around in search of any remaining enemies.

“You d- don’t know what it was?” I blinked in confusion Titus shook his head somberly.

“No, Lord Cardonaccum,” Vant’s dark tone reached us as he knelt beside the Colovian captain. “Tonight was the worst one yet, and it was clear we were being attacked, but none of us saw what our enemies were.”

I swallowed again. “Vampires,” I told the men. “It was v- vampires. A very ancient and powerful clan, I would guess. I’ve never s- seen them, only heard of them.”

Vant’s breath drew in sharply between clenched teeth. “Vampires!” he exclaimed softly. “You saw them?”

Silently I nodded. Could I have been the only one to see them? No, the horses saw them too. But apparently these Colovians never did.

“That makes sense,” another voice joined us, this time that of a careworn woman with the air of a veteran soldier. I noted a flicker of magicka in her fingers as she leaned down over Vant’s shoulder. “Vampires make themselves difficult to recognize through illusion. Though how you managed to see them —?”

“They were h- hard to see,” I admitted. “More vapor than flesh. But I c- could see their faces, their eyes,” I shuddered again at the memory of the ancient undead.

“You are immune to illusion spells, it seems,” the woman nodded to herself. Golden-white light flickered from her fingers, and I flinched away involuntarily. “Healing magicka, too?”

“Magicka makes Lady Cora ill,” Lieutenant Alorius met my gaze. “Feel well enough to stand up?”

I took a deep breath, and nodded silently. Titus shifted his hands to grasp mine, and drew me to my feet easily. Lord Vant and the woman stepped back as I wavered slightly. Grateful for the Lieutenant’s steadying support, I turned to face the woman. “You are a mage?”

“Not really,” the woman answered. “I am Deryth,” she inclined her head to me. “I am both soldier and healer.” Her brown gaze sharpened on me. “You said something about blessing Ifor?”

The guardsman who tried to protect me. “Hemophilia,” I searched my memory for Reach lore. “It’s the vampire d- disease. The infection takes hold if the victim is not b- blessed within three days.”

“Right,” Deryth nodded curtly. “Unfortunately, our priestess of Dibella was among the first taken. We will have to take Ifor, and any other injured, down to the Chapel in Anvil.”

“Then we will get them ready to go at first light,” Lord Vant spoke decisively. He turned to me. “What ever you did, Lord Cardonaccum, we are grateful. Now that we know that our attackers are vampires, we will be prepared for them!”

Are there any left? I wondered to myself.

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Sep 14 2015, 06:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 14 2015, 04:29 PM
Post #257

Ancient
Group Icon

Yay, Cardionaccum is back. I can always use more exercise. wink.gif

Lady Cora's sense of magic that was stale and rotten immediately made me think of the undead. That was a good touch. Granted, this being Crowhaven thoughts naturally wander in that direction anyhow.

W00T! Cora is throwing down with the Power of Nirn! biggrin.gif I bet the Living World does not much care for the walking dead.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 14 2015, 04:30 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 14 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #258

Paladin
Group Icon

Wonderful to see this story continuing! After a bit of a break in its telling, your small opening synopsis of ‘Where were we?’ was most welcome. smile.gif

Cora the Vampire Slayer! A spooky beginning as this episode quickly turns into a nailbiting fight in the darkness.

What a wonderfully intriguing source / set of limitations there are on her powers. Under the right circumstances, she is potent indeed. Fascinating too that the vampires used illusions to conceal themselves, yet Cora was immune to their magicks.

Nit?
The two passages below come from your first and second paragraphs respectively; they seem to repeat but change what is going on with Cora’s cloak?
Pulling my cloak about me, I moved past . . . ‘
My cloak hung beside the fire, where Morna had left it to air out. I wrapped it around my shoulders, then moved to . . . ‘

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 11 12 13
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:52 PM