Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Deus Ex discussion thread, Original and sequels
mirocu
post Apr 15 2014, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Spam Meister
Group Icon

After talking to Callidus about this game we decided to go ahead and fire up its own thread. Now I only cover the original game but if anyone wanna talk about the sequels thatīs ok smile.gif

WARNING: Rosy glasses are fully activated!!

So Deus Ex... What can I say? It defined my years between 2000-2006 and it definitely withstands the tests of time as it is still one of the best games I have ever played. Itīs so full of details and the whole game breathes quality throughout, it never feels rushed in any way. Bugs are almost non-existant, the only one I experienced was with the GotY edition I think where the music on one map is gone, but I can live with that, itīs no big deal.

What I love so much about this game is... Everything basically laugh.gif Itīs linear but at the same time youīre free to roam around the maps and thereīs often multiple routes to take to reach your current objective and one of the best things are you can actually fail a mission completely or ignore parts of it and you still progress through the story. And you canīt just fail a mission and move on like nothingīs happened, you will face consequences like different dialogue and less pay etc.

I also love that you can level up skills through XP. This gives the game an RPG element which I really like because it means you can have very different J.C Dentons from playthrough to playthrough. While this means it only differs in if youīre a master with a pistol or rifle, or if youīre a hacking god or a computer expert, it does make a big difference in the game. At least I feel that way.

The music... All I can say is the music is a masterpiece! Or I should say masterpieces. I donīt know how many nights Iīve sat down and just listened to tracks on youtube. They fit the game and its atmosphere perfectly and since itīs dynamic you hear a different tune when enemies are aware of you. Speaking of enemies, they do something in Deus Ex that enemies donīt do in so many other more modern games; they flee when heavily wounded. I really like that they do that, it adds so much to the gaming experience that no one is suicidal.

Gee, this got way longer than I thought and I still have things to say! wacko.gif But Iīll wrap it up by saying everything Deus Ex goes here. From general discussions to specific details and gaming updates.

So have fun! smile.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 22 2014, 05:20 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Apr 15 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

HR is awesome too and everyone should try it!

The Fall...oh lord...The Fall is sickening and no one should try it.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 15 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Apr 15 2014, 12:47 PM) *

HR is awesome too and everyone should try it!

The Fall...oh lord...The Fall is sickening and no one should try it.

I found Human Revolution to be very much a one-hit-wonder.

Just couldn't get back into it for another run, even months later.

And those bosses...

*shakes head*

Anyway, finished up the tutorial, only got mildly wounded failing to sneak past that walking turret at the end laugh.gif

The game lags everytime there's water on screen, but apart from that, it's all good.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 15 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #4

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I always thought the sneaking part to be the most difficult. Surprisingly so, since I love to sneak and do that in the entire game.. tongue.gif

-Now get to that statue, soldier! cool.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 15 2014, 08:30 PM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

The bit where you're taught to sneak was weird. I accidentally wasted the goggles, so I had no idea of the guards movement patterns or even how many there were.

Still got through first time. biggrin.gif

Somehow I doubt stealth is going to be my strength in this game laugh.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 15 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #6

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Apr 15 2014, 09:30 PM) *

Somehow I doubt stealth is going to be my strength in this game laugh.gif

Then I suggest you stop playing immediately.. tongue.gif

Youīll need stealth more than ever in this game. If you try to go all Halo you will not get far laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Apr 15 2014, 08:40 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Apr 16 2014, 09:38 AM
Post #7

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I liked the second and most recent Deus Ex games. I never played the first one though.

I will say that while I definitely enjoyed the most recent sequel but didn't like being forced into "boss fights" because if you don 't focus anything on combat skills, it can be difficult.

The last game did have some excellent dialoge and conversation progressions however, which really made the game for me.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 29 2014, 08:10 AM
Post #8

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I really recommend the first game, Kiln! Though as always when going backwards, let the other games go away from your mind and treat it as its own. The game has so many qualities and it would be such a shame if you didnīt give it a try smile.gif

And remember this one thing; stealth is your best friend and ally.. wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post May 2 2014, 05:30 AM
Post #9

Finder
Group Icon

I had to log in so I could reply to this topic.

Deus Ex is one of my all-time favorite games. I liked it so much the first time I played it that I began a second game the same day I finished the first. I've only done that with one other game in my life (Neverwinter Nights 1). I've played that thing more times than I can count over the years. I haven't played it in quite a while though.

I love the quality of the writing. If I had to pick one thing I liked about the game most, this would be it. I didn't feel "talked down to" by the writers at any point during the game. They assumed I was reasonably intelligent and fairly educated, which is something you rarely find in a video game.

As mirocu mentioned, there are so many ways to solve problems in almost every situation. My second playthrough was very different from my first. And the playthrough after that...and the playthrough after that. In this, it reminded me of an even older game: System Shock 2 (another game I like).

Interestingly, in an interview given shortly before the game came out, Warren Spector revealed that they had planned to have even more skills available and more ways of getting through difficult situations. In the end they decided to streamline: "We figured we'd save everybody the trouble of figuring out which skills were useful and which were wastes of time by just cutting the useless ones." Sound familiar? wink.gif

I grabbed Invisible War off Good Old Games last year but I can't get interested in it. I bought Human Revolutions off The Web Site Whose Name Begins With S (out of respect for mirocu's feelings about the subject I refrain from naming it) last year but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

I love the look of the game, the sound of the game, the gameplay of the game and, of course, the writing. I think it is one of the best games ever made.

Here is the Warren Spector interview, if anybody's interested: http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/10/29/deus-ex-interview
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 2 2014, 09:04 AM
Post #10

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Iīm glad I started a topic that made you to log in here.. tongue.gif And Iīm ok with whatever service you use, I just donīt use it myself laugh.gif

I would have liked more skills in Deus Ex and yes, I do recognize their thought process about that whole thing... But whatever the case, the original Deus Ex will forever stand out as one of my all-time favourite games! happy.gif

Now to figure out more topics that forces Wyrd to log in... evillol.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: May 2 2014, 09:04 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jun 6 2014, 10:14 AM
Post #11

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

Well, currently playing through Human Revolution for the first time, and really enjoying it.

Except....

QUOTE(Kiln @ Apr 16 2014, 09:38 AM) *

I will say that while I definitely enjoyed the most recent sequel but didn't like being forced into "boss fights" because if you don 't focus anything on combat skills, it can be difficult.

Just got past the first boss. After about 15 attempts. dry.gif Stopped trying to be clever and tactical, and ran and screamed like a little girl whilst throwing grenades. Which annoyingly worked.

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 10 2014, 10:05 AM
Post #12

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Iīd really like to have another go at this game, but as of now I have no inspiration and I need that if I am to fully enjoy it. I almost need to stop playing other games completely in order for me to get back into it.

Should I start another playthrough though, Iīm not entirely sure Iīd write about it here. Maybe I would but some things are better appreciated if not shared if ya know what I mean...

Weīll see smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:59 AM