Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Total War Series, Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Empire, Napoleon, etc...
hazmick
post May 20 2017, 01:06 AM
Post #41

Mouth
Group Icon

Update: Had a pretty eventful evening tonight.

I began by sending a force to capture Flevum, the Frankish port settlement, which went pretty smoothly. The bulk of the Frankish force was over in Britannia, capturing Londinium (which is now their capital). Owning a port allowed me to get some trade deals going with the Jutes and Geats to the North.

Not long after gaining this new settlement, the Alamans declared war on me. I thought it was just a courtesy declaration, and that nothing would come of it. A couple of turns later, and 2000 Alamans attacked Flevum. My own garrison of 900 (mostly sailors) managed to kill over 1000 Alamans before the battle was lost - fortunately the Alamans just looted the settlement rather than capturing it. Screens below:

The Alamans attacked from the north and the east.

My defenders prepare to hold the line. After a short, bloody battle the victorious Alamans survey their handiwork.

After this battle, the majority of the Alaman forces moved to attack my capital at Tulifurdum. My king, Gewis, rode out to intercept them and managed to all but destroy them. The other Alaman force, led by their king Hariobaud, remained behind to continue raiding Flevum. It was here, on a rainy day in autumn, that he was killed:

Once again, the outnumbered Saxons await their enemy.

King Hariobaud takes to the field.

Thus ends the reign of Hariobaud, king of the Alamans.

Once their king died, the remaining Alaman forces retreated from my lands. Hopefully Hariobaud's successor will be willing to accept a peace treaty.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 20 2017, 01:21 AM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

I say exterminate the Alamanni with fire and sword! viking.gif

So is Atilla like Shogun 2, in that when your settlements are attacked, a garrison will automatically spawn within it based upon the size of the palace/castle/government building? Do you have to spend a few turns building siege engines like rams and towers, or can you attack enemy settlements right away?

Now I am tempted to give Atilla a try. But I am not in a huge hurry, I think that I will watch for it to go on sale.

In the meantime I might fire up Barbarian Invasion, or give Shogun 2 another go.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 20 2017, 01:26 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 20 2017, 02:03 AM
Post #43

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ May 19 2017, 07:06 PM) *

Update: Had a pretty eventful evening tonight.

I began by sending a force to capture Flevum, the Frankish port settlement, which went pretty smoothly. The bulk of the Frankish force was over in Britannia, capturing Londinium (which is now their capital). Owning a port allowed me to get some trade deals going with the Jutes and Geats to the North.

Not long after gaining this new settlement, the Alamans declared war on me. I thought it was just a courtesy declaration, and that nothing would come of it. A couple of turns later, and 2000 Alamans attacked Flevum. My own garrison of 900 (mostly sailors) managed to kill over 1000 Alamans before the battle was lost - fortunately the Alamans just looted the settlement rather than capturing it. Screens below:

The Alamans attacked from the north and the east.

My defenders prepare to hold the line. After a short, bloody battle the victorious Alamans survey their handiwork.

After this battle, the majority of the Alaman forces moved to attack my capital at Tulifurdum. My king, Gewis, rode out to intercept them and managed to all but destroy them. The other Alaman force, led by their king Hariobaud, remained behind to continue raiding Flevum. It was here, on a rainy day in autumn, that he was killed:

Once again, the outnumbered Saxons await their enemy.

King Hariobaud takes to the field.

Thus ends the reign of Hariobaud, king of the Alamans.

Once their king died, the remaining Alaman forces retreated from my lands. Hopefully Hariobaud's successor will be willing to accept a peace treaty.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 19 2017, 07:21 PM) *

So is Atilla like Shogun 2, in that when your settlements are attacked, a garrison will automatically spawn within it based upon the size of the palace/castle/government building? Do you have to spend a few turns building siege engines like rams and towers, or can you attack enemy settlements right away?

Now I am tempted to give Atilla a try. But I am not in a huge hurry, I think that I will watch for it to go on sale.

In the meantime I might fire up Barbarian Invasion, or give Shogun 2 another go.

Khajiit concurs with Subbie, Haz. Fire. And. Sword!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 20 2017, 03:24 AM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

On a side note, this game makes Khajiit want to watch Gladiator or Spartacus(1960), lol

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post May 20 2017, 03:41 AM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

Funny thing about R:TW1. It's out in *Android, priced at ¥1200, and whaddya know, I have this recent craze about being a consul and striking out north of the Eternal City...

EDIT: *Oops, I meant in iOS. LOL

This post has been edited by Uleni Athram: May 20 2017, 03:44 AM

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 20 2017, 03:46 AM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ May 19 2017, 09:41 PM) *

Funny thing about R:TW1. It's out in *Android, priced at ¥1200, and whaddya know, I have this recent craze about being a consul and striking out north of the Eternal City...

EDIT: *Oops, I meant in iOS. LOL

Ja there's one for iPad too. Khajiit just finds it difficult to control games on his phone, though a tablet would be better.

*edit* and now Khajiit saw the edit, lol

*edit2* Derp, its only available on iPad

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: May 20 2017, 03:56 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 20 2017, 06:04 AM
Post #47

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 20 2017, 01:21 AM) *

The Alamans will get what's coming to them, I assure you.

Yep, every settlement has a garrison that reflects the main building. Other buildings sometimes add a unit or two to the garrison as well (WRE has specific garrison buildings that add even more).

You need to build siege equipment if they have a wall. You can also encircle a settlement to wait them out, causing them attrition and eventually leading to their surrender.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 20 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #48

Mouth
Group Icon

Update. Year 401AD:

Started off the day with a declaration of war by the Burgundians and their allies, the Lugians. Kind of expected it since the Burgundian king had the 'opportunistic' and 'untrustworthy' traits.

Then, disaster struck. The Alamans weren't quite as weak as I thought, and returned to Flevum with another 2000 troops. My king's son-in-law had an army stationed there, and died in the defense. Once again we were defeated and the Alamans went on their merry way.

Almost immediately, a force of Lugians appeared from the Burgundian land to the north, and swooped down to claim Flevum for their own. Honestly I was a little relieved to have Flevum taken off my hands, since it was getting too expensive to keep trying to rebuild it. The Lugians later offered me peace, and I accepted.

I also made friends with the Langobards to the south, and began trading with them, as well as forging non-aggression pacts with the Geats and Jutes to the north (losing the port also cancelled my trade deals with them both). The accursed Alamans also offered us peace, and I accepted (for now).

I spent the next while upgrading my army and the city of Tulifurdum. I also recruited a priestess (one of the types of agents) who provides bonuses to religion, public order, and friendly troop's stats. She can also disrupt enemy armies and settlements, and assassinate enemy agents (like the Burgundian champion that came to spy on my garrison).

At the same time, the Burgundians were losing land to the east, and before long only had 1 settlement left - Angulus. Yep, the Angulus that lies in the north of my province. My king led his army north and blockaded Angulus, eventually forcing the Burgundians to surrender the town. Since they're a barbarian faction, they weren't destroyed when they lost their last settlement. Instead they are now a migratory horde which can set up camp and travel freely. We signed a peace agreement and I let them leave. Capturing Angulus also means that I can reopen trade with the Jutes.

As of now, I'm only at war with one faction - the Western Roman Empire. The fog of war conceals most of the map, but from what I can gather it would seem that they lost Rome, and a great deal of their eastern provinces, to rebels and barbarians. WRE are now concentrated around Africa and Spain, presumably operating out of Carthago (it's where I would choose if I was them.)

Here's a screenie of the world map as it is now. As you can see, the Lugians are sitting on my east and west. I think an alliance would be of great benefit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 20 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ May 20 2017, 03:44 PM) *

Update. Year 401AD:

Started off the day with a declaration of war by the Burgundians and their allies, the Lugians. Kind of expected it since the Burgundian king had the 'opportunistic' and 'untrustworthy' traits.

Then, disaster struck. The Alamans weren't quite as weak as I thought, and returned to Flevum with another 2000 troops. My king's son-in-law had an army stationed there, and died in the defense. Once again we were defeated and the Alamans went on their merry way.

Almost immediately, a force of Lugians appeared from the Burgundian land to the north, and swooped down to claim Flevum for their own. Honestly I was a little relieved to have Flevum taken off my hands, since it was getting too expensive to keep trying to rebuild it. The Lugians later offered me peace, and I accepted.

I also made friends with the Langobards to the south, and began trading with them, as well as forging non-aggression pacts with the Geats and Jutes to the north (losing the port also cancelled my trade deals with them both). The accursed Alamans also offered us peace, and I accepted (for now).

I spent the next while upgrading my army and the city of Tulifurdum. I also recruited a priestess (one of the types of agents) who provides bonuses to religion, public order, and friendly troop's stats. She can also disrupt enemy armies and settlements, and assassinate enemy agents (like the Burgundian champion that came to spy on my garrison).

At the same time, the Burgundians were losing land to the east, and before long only had 1 settlement left - Angulus. Yep, the Angulus that lies in the north of my province. My king led his army north and blockaded Angulus, eventually forcing the Burgundians to surrender the town. Since they're a barbarian faction, they weren't destroyed when they lost their last settlement. Instead they are now a migratory horde which can set up camp and travel freely. We signed a peace agreement and I let them leave. Capturing Angulus also means that I can reopen trade with the Jutes.

As of now, I'm only at war with one faction - the Western Roman Empire. The fog of war conceals most of the map, but from what I can gather it would seem that they lost Rome, and a great deal of their eastern provinces, to rebels and barbarians. WRE are now concentrated around Africa and Spain, presumably operating out of Carthago (it's where I would choose if I was them.)

Here's a screenie of the world map as it is now. As you can see, the Lugians are sitting on my east and west. I think an alliance would be of great benefit.

Lol, sounds like Subbie and Khajiit underestimated your enemy! tongue.gif
Do you you know where the Alamans are based out of, or are they one of the nomadic barbariane groups?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 20 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #50

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm pretty sure that the Alaman capital is the city of Uburzis in Germania. It's as large as Tulifurdum, and produces gemstones - a pretty good base of power.

The Alamans have the ability to be nomads, I think, so I'll have to make sure not to leave any lurking around when I finally have my revenge.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 20 2017, 10:48 PM
Post #51

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ May 20 2017, 04:33 PM) *

I'm pretty sure that the Alaman capital is the city of Uburzis in Germania. It's as large as Tulifurdum, and produces gemstones - a pretty good base of power.

The Alamans have the ability to be nomads, I think, so I'll have to make sure not to leave any lurking around when I finally have my revenge.

As much trouble as they've caused you, Khajiit would be surprised if anybody blamed you for a little extermination! We are in a similar place with Gaul right now in our Julii Campaign. They just refuse to die!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 21 2017, 01:28 AM
Post #52

Ancient
Group Icon

That is a tight fix you are in! I recall playing the Saxons was no easier in Barbarian Invasion.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 21 2017, 02:39 AM
Post #53

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 20 2017, 07:28 PM) *

That is a tight fix you are in! I recall playing the Saxons was no easier in Barbarian Invasion.

Between a rock and a hard place, aye. Khajiit is sure Haz will find his way out of it though.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 21 2017, 03:04 AM
Post #54

Mouth
Group Icon

It's definitely not going to be easy. I'm hoping that the Danes will help me fight the Lugians - Danes seem to enjoy raiding the Germanic coast, and might be able to distract the Lugians long enough for me to take back Flevum.

I've just upgraded my Germanic Levy (basic spear unit) to Nordic Spearmen, who can form shield walls and are generally better warriors. I also have some cavalry now, which will obviously be of huge help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 21 2017, 03:37 AM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ May 20 2017, 09:04 PM) *

It's definitely not going to be easy. I'm hoping that the Danes will help me fight the Lugians - Danes seem to enjoy raiding the Germanic coast, and might be able to distract the Lugians long enough for me to take back Flevum.

I've just upgraded my Germanic Levy (basic spear unit) to Nordic Spearmen, who can form shield walls and are generally better warriors. I also have some cavalry now, which will obviously be of huge help.

Love the cavalry. One of Khajiit's favorite things is running the cavalry off away from the battle and then being able to bring them up into the enemy's rear. All those little fleeing men getting run down is ever so much fun!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 21 2017, 04:54 AM
Post #56

Ancient
Group Icon

I did fire up Barbarian Invasion. I decided to give my old favorites another try - The Sarmatians. But this time instead of hording and moving west and then south into Greece, this time I tried doing something different. After spending the first few turns building up a few armored horse archers, I horded and went east. I narrowly avoided the Roxoloni horde that was coming straight west, and the Vandal horde that was coming from the north west. That left only the Hun horde, which I was also able to skirt around.

That left the steppe open to me. After sacking Campus Alani I headed south to the Caucasus. I went through them in the far eastern pass, on the shore of the Caspian sea. Then I set to sacking Sassanian cities. I went all the way south to Ctesphion, then hooked west to Hatra, and now am making my way back north into Armenia again. Kotias has revolted from the Sassanids since I went through there originally. They have a full stack in Artaxarta, and it looks like only one unit in Phraaspa.

I plan to tackle Artaxarta next, and settle there. Maybe I can lure the garrison out into a field battle. Otherwise I will just wait them out. I did that for Ctesphion, since it also had a strong garrison. I can probably send a second force over to Phraaspa at the same time to take it.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 21 2017, 04:58 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 21 2017, 05:00 AM
Post #57

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 20 2017, 10:54 PM) *

I did fire up Barbarian Invasion. I decided to give my old favorites another try - The Sarmatians. But this time instead of hording and moving west and then south into Greece, this time I tried doing something different. After spending the first few turns building up a few armored horse archers, I horded and went east. I narrowly avoided the Roxoloni horde that was coming straight west, and the Vandal horde that was coming from the north west. That left only the Hun horde, which I was also able to skirt around.

That left the steppe open to me. After sacking Campus Alani I headed south to the Caucasus. I went through them in the far eastern pass, on the shore of the Caspian sea. Then I set to sacking Sassanian cities. I went all the way south to Ctesphion, then hooked west to Hatra, and now am making my way back north into Armenia again. Kotias has revolted from the Sassanids since I went through there originally. They have a full stack in Artaxarta, and it looks like only one unit in Phraaspa.

I plan to tackle Artaxarta next, and settle there. Maybe I can lure the garrison out into a field battle. Otherwise I will just wait them out. I did that for Ctesphion, since it also had a strong garrison. I can probably send a second force over to Phraaspa at the same time to take it.

When you say "sacking cities", do you mean taking the towns then leaving or actually using the towns?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 21 2017, 05:27 AM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

It is something they added with Barbarian Invasion to go with the horde mechanics. When you are a horde you only have two options when you take a city. You can sack it, or settle. Sacking does lots of damage to the buildings, kills most of the population, and gives you a lot of loot. But afterward your troops are immediately moved out of the city and it reverts to rebel control.

Settling means beginning the process of going back from a horde to a regular faction. You occupy the city instead, and lose a third of your horde units. After that you can no longer sack cities. Instead you can do the normal occupy, enslave, and exterminate. But you lose a third of your horde units every time. After the third city you have no horde units left.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 21 2017, 05:36 AM
Post #59

Mouth
Group Icon

Quite a stroll you took your horde on, but definitely worth it. Once the Huns are out of the way, the east is a really great place to be - lots of land, fewer factions, no Romans (if you go far enough).

This post has been edited by hazmick: May 21 2017, 05:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 21 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 20 2017, 11:27 PM) *

It is something they added with Barbarian Invasion to go with the horde mechanics. When you are a horde you only have two options when you take a city. You can sack it, or settle. Sacking does lots of damage to the buildings, kills most of the population, and gives you a lot of loot. But afterward your troops are immediately moved out of the city and it reverts to rebel control.

Settling means beginning the process of going back from a horde to a regular faction. You occupy the city instead, and lose a third of your horde units. After that you can no longer sack cities. Instead you can do the normal occupy, enslave, and exterminate. But you lose a third of your horde units every time. After the third city you have no horde units left.

Ohh ok. Sounds neat!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

19 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:42 AM