Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 2, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
Destri Melarg
post Sep 30 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #61

Mouth
Group Icon

I was indeed a Child of Dawn – embracing the light, yet requiring the cloak of darkness and stealth to survive.

I’m gonna quote this again because, in this simple line, we now understand why the ‘Child of Dawn’ and ‘Dancing with Darkness’ storylines were set back to back. They were all about Buffy discovering the dual sides of her nature. The doctrine that emerges from all of this is clear, simple, and in perfect harmony with both of her ‘selves’. I love the symbolism of Buffy’s realization being set against the backdrop of the rising sun heralding morning in Bravil.

Like Remko said, even those of us who knew City-Swimmer’s fate could not help being affected by it again. And SageRosa’s assessment of the dynamic between Buffy and City-Swimmer is perfectly expressed.

Since Buffy has decided to close the door on the Dark Brotherhood, I personally would love to see her open it to the Thieves Guild. But I am also content to follow her wherever she may lead.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 1 2010, 04:17 AM
Post #62

Ancient
Group Icon

This has always been one of my fave chapters in the original, and you have expanded on it and improved on what was Awesome on the first version. - Just beautiful Acadian !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Oct 1 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #63

Mouth
Group Icon

sad.gif sad.gif *Sniffle* That was beautiful.

*Clears throat* A brilliant chapter, Buffy reflecting on the Brotherhood and the Blade of Woe was great. The incident with City-Swimmer was handled perfectly, so sad...

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Grizzly20
post Oct 3 2010, 03:22 AM
Post #64

Retainer

I apologize for being absent for so long, as my computer crashed. :/ Anyway, excellent writing Acadian. I am happy that Buffy did not go the "dark" path, but instead brought Rufio to justice in her own way. It's a tragedy what happened to her friend City-Swimmer, a true tragedy. I'm happy Buffy understands why it happened it though, it shows her Wisdom. Many-a-folk would've have raised their blade to the guard, and fell in the same way. Can't wait for more!
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 3 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #65

Paladin
Group Icon

Chapter 33 concluded 'Dancing with Darkness' and found the bowgirl in Bravil. She seemed to have a deeper understanding of herself, and revealed the Buffy Doctrine. The peaceful morning was then marred by the tragic and senseless death of her friend, City Swimmer.

Remko- Thank you for the kind words. Bravil is a lonelier place now, but even in death, City Swimmer had a lesson for Buffy.

treydog- Thank you for endorsing how many things I tried to tie together here. Your comments show exactly why I named the episode 'Her True Colors'. Thanks for the nit - fixed.

Rider- It was an emotional episode to write, and I'm so glad you were able to share some of that emotion with me. Thank you.

SubRosa- As ever, your insights are so very welcome, and they let me know, in this case, we were close to target. Thank you. I took your recommendation, priestess - thanks!

Destri- Thank you for recognizing the connection between Child of Dawn and Dancing with Darkness. Buffy will probably always have one foot in darkness (or at least shadows), but I believe dawn is indeed more reflective of her path than dusk would be.

I can imagine a time when Buffy would become a friend to Countess Milona Umbranox. If she were ever to learn of the connection between Milona and the Gray Fox, I have no doubt, Buffy would move half of Cyrodiil to help bring Corvus home to his lonely countess. Then, I fully expect Buffy would turn the cowl and mantle of Thieves Guildmaster over to the lovely and talented Methredhel. . . . Alas, I fear Buffy's dance card is way too full for the guild of thieves in the reasonable future. It is on the list for a potential Book 3.

mALX- Thank you so much! I remember that we both liked this episode in the original version as well.

hazmick- I thank you for allowing this episode to tug at your heart strings. There was so much wrapped into it that the writing of it was very emotional as well.

Grizzly- I'm delighted to see you rejoin us! Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you agree with Buffy on Rufio. She will still exhibit a streak of vengeance and even cruelty, but it seems she has limits, grounded in the more noble aspects of her character.

34 By the Detritus of the Profane, Part 1

"Thank you for getting to the University so quickly, Buffy." Raminus Polus filled a silver cup with tea and carefully presented it to me. "I hope your trip from Bravil was uneventful." He then stepped around the desk and settled into his high-backed chair.

"Kud-Ei got the dispatch yesterday, Master Wizard," I said, lowering the tea cup to my lap. "Superian and I left before dawn this morning."

From behind steepled fingers, the slightly graying Breton continued, "I'll come right to the point. A mage has been killed and I would like you to look into the matter."

"Me?" Both my eyes opened wide.

"Hear me out, please." Raminus leaned forward slightly.

I nodded obediently, then lifted the tea to my lips.

"The victim's name was Phane Thierry, and he was seeking a recommendation to enter the University from the magister of the Skingrad chapter. According to Adrienne Berene, Thierry was a fine young Breton of humble means who hoped to one day serve the Legion as an Imperial Battlemage. She assigned him the task of clearing bears from nearby-" Raminus glanced down at a report, "Shardrock farm, for some beleaguered sheep herder. An appropriate task I suppose. No doubt, Adrienne considered it good for the guild's community relations as well."

"Bears can be dangerous." I shook my head sadly. "So you want me to go finish the job?" Surely Raminus didn't summon me here to go bear hunting. Yet if the mage had been killed by these powerful animals, what was there to investigate?

He frowned. "No. The young Associate did a fine job with the bears. He was attacked while returning to Skingrad."

"Killed by bandits?"

"No. It seems shortly after he left Shardrock, he was ambushed by necromancers - no less than three of them. He managed to run and fight his way to the nearby shrine of Meridia, where her followers came to his defense." Raminus shook his head as his eyes flashed in quiet rage. "The fight that ensued, left our Associate and a follower of Meridia dead. All three of the necromancers escaped."

"Master Wizard, why would necromancers attack one of our guild?"

He rubbed his chin, anger still in his eyes. "I don't know Buffy. While it's true that we prohibit the practice of necromancy by our members, we've never taken steps to persecute those outside our guild who choose to follow alternate teachings. We simply don't want our mages resurrecting corpses into worm thralls and desecrating the dead. We've never taken arms against necromancers to stop them from forming their own guild." The Breton's fingers slowly curled into a clenched fist. "Never before have they openly attacked us."

"I'm honored that you think me worthy of investigating this tragic matter, but I'm merely a-"

Raminus silenced me with a raised hand. "Merely a fine mystic archer who comes highly-recommended for the task by both Tar-Meena and Boderi Farano. I understand you were attacked by a necromancer?"

"Well, yes. One of the black robes tried to kill me in the bowels of Vilverin before I was admitted to the University. I admit that I was in his lair, but I declared myself and my peaceful intentions. As soon as he heard who I was, he attacked."

Raminus raised an eyebrow. "When you say you declared yourself, did you indicate you were a mage?"

"I did." A thought hit me. "Do you think that's why he attacked me? Because I was in the guild?"

"Well," his fingers returned to the steepled pose that made him look so 'head masterish', "that's what I'm beginning to wonder. What happened?"

"I managed to immobilize him with a spell, then shot him dead." I shuddered as I recalled the incident, then narrowed my eyes. "After I memorized the skull and bones symbol on his robes, I told his corpse I would offer neither warning nor quarter should I encounter his kind in the future."

"So Boderi tells me." Raminus nodded grimly. "That's one reason I think you're the right mage for this matter."

"There's more?" I asked.

"Both Tar-Meena and Boderi mentioned that you've had some dealings with a Daedra Lord?"

"Yes," I replied. "Azura chose me to perform a task for her. I have earned her favor."

"As I mentioned," Raminus continued, "the killing took place near the shrine of Meridia. As you may recall from your studies, she has little tolerance for the undead and perhaps may prove helpful in this matter. After all, one of her followers was killed in the attack as well. I'm hoping that your experience from fighting a necromancer and dealing with a Daedra Lord will help here." He then placed both palms upon his desk, leaned forward and locked his eyes onto mine. "May I count on your help in this matter, Buffy?"

The dog turned his head at my approach. His tail began to slowly thump against the leg of the Bosmer standing next to him. Alerted to my presence, Thernd briefly acknowledged me. He then returned his gaze to the east. "Look a' that, Lass."

Within a few moments, the first rays of the sun flooded the entire Valley of Horses in a spectacular display. Dew sparkled across the grass-covered meadow. Long flickering shadows were cast by leathery wings of the imps on patrol. I heard the thunder of approaching hooves. Three horses, including Superian, were racing our way. They swept a broad arc in front of us across the floor of the valley, coats glistening in the new sun, then sped away to the west towards Lake Rumare.

"Do ye see now why I have the best job there be?"

"You surely do," I said breathlessly. Rubbing my hand along the silver-gray fur of Bandit's back, he swung his head firmly into my stomach, demanding to have his ears scratched.

"Well, I see from yon bow on yer wee back that ye must be ready for travel." He glanced at Bandit. "Shall I have 'im fetch our black beauty?" He grinned and added, "If he can catch 'er o' course. Can't see 'er, but I'm sure she be down by the western water's edge by now."

"No, Thernd. Thank you." I closed my eyes. My mind quickly traveled to Superian and our spirits touched. I could feel the cool refreshing drink she was enjoying from the lake and held my request for a moment so she could finish. "She'll be here in a minute."

"Where be ye off to this fine morning, Lass?"

"Skingrad. If the roads be - oh listen to me!" I giggled. "I'm starting to talk like you. I mean, if the roads are quiet, I think we can make it by nightfall."

"Aye. Well I see yon mare now, headed straight for 'er elven mistress. Let's get 'er tack together and get the pair of ye on yer way."

I raised my torch against the dark night, revealing the awe-inspiring form of Meridia. The fine features of her visage were tilted upwards, as if addressing - or perhaps commanding - the sky. Graceful hands were clasped in front of her face, and stone fabric sleeves draped from her elbows. Her gown was tied loosely at the waist and from it, long bare legs descended to the top of a large, round pedestal.

"Our Lady is lovely, isn't she?"

Turning, I found myself looking into the kind eyes of an elderly Breton. He wore the simple brown robes of a monk, and his head was ringed by a tonsure style hair of the same color. "Breathtaking," I whispered. Raising my voice, I added, "Oh, sorry, I'm Buffy. I was sent by the Mages Guild to investigate the death of one of our Associates here."

"You are welcome in this place, young elf. My name is Basil Ernarde, healer and follower of Meridia. Your mage died bravely. I regret that his wounds were too severe for me to heal."

"Well met, Basil. I understand Meridia lost a follower as well. Please accept the condolences of my guild."

"Yes. We will help any way we can to avenge our shared losses."

"Can you fill me in on what happened?" I asked.

Basil quickly relayed what he knew, which was little more than what Raminus had told me. He suggested I attempt to summon Meridia herself. Perhaps she would know the whereabouts of the necromancers. "To summon our Lady, you'll need some evidence of your disdain for the undead."

"I have some ectoplasm," I said hopefully. "Will that do?"

Basil nodded, but seemed a little taken aback. "Do you normally carry such things with you?"

"Well, sure," I said a little sheepishly. "For my hair. I combine it with rosemary oil and aloe vera for conditioning, glow dust for shine and some finely ground bergamot for a nice citrus scent."

The Breton ran a hand over the bald head that capped his tonsure. "I wouldn't know anything about that." His eyes then clouded, and he frowned. "Do you expect to summon a Daedra Lord by pouring some sort of hair glop at her feet?"

"Oh, no. I have some fresh samples I haven't mixed up yet." I planted the torch into the soft ground. Rummaging through my pack, I produced a portion of ectoplasm. After placing the offering on Meridia's pedestal, I stepped back. The peculiar accent of her echoing voice broke the dark silence.

"By the detritus of the profane, I am brought forth. And by your offering, you have made the profane your interest, mortal. The undead are foul, unnatural things. Some of my rivals take pleasure in these abominations. Not Meridia. I wish these creatures destroyed. Hidden behind a door, deep in Howling Cave, are the necromancers you seek. They slay the living, and rob graves of the dead for the materials to raise their undead armies. Find these necromancers. Destroy them and their abominations. Do this, and earn the gratitude of Meridia."

I knelt close to the torch and spread my map on the ground. Howling Cave was back to the east, on the other side of Skingrad. Superian and I would return to the city tonight, and set out for the cave in the morning.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Oct 3 2010, 10:39 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Oct 3 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #66

Mouth
Group Icon

Another Daedra lord! Buffy facing off against Necromancers? wowzer! biggrin.gif I enjoy the visits to Thern and Bandit, such a funny Bosmer wacko.gif Nice hair-care tips for Meridia's followers--who knows, perhaps Meridia herself will try it. tongue.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
treydog
post Oct 3 2010, 03:07 PM
Post #67

Master
Group Icon

Wonderful descriptions and characterizations throughout this chapter. It is always good to see Thernd. I think my favorite bit was the following:

"I have some ectoplasm," I said hopefully. "Will that do?"

Basil nodded, but seemed a little taken aback. "Do you normally carry such things with you?"

"Well, sure," I said a little sheepishly. "For my hair. I combine it with rosemary oil and aloe vera for conditioning, glow dust for shine and some finely ground bergamot for a nice citrus scent."

Especially followed by Basil's skepticism about how well a Daedra lord will respond to "hair glop."

A deeper current though, is Raminus' trust in Buffy's ability to handle this task- bolstered by her mentors in the Guild.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 3 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #68

Ancient
Group Icon

Woo Hoo !!! You've added your own Buffy flavor to several quests in one chapter !!!! Did I tell you I love this new version?

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 3 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #69

Master
Group Icon

What a wonderful chapter! I see you are getting better at capturing the transient moments that make this world (irl or Nirn) so worth living in. I loved your description of dawn at the Valley of Horses.

Then this made me laugh:
The Breton ran a hand over the bald head that capped his tonsure. "I wouldn't know anything about that." His eyes then clouded, and he frowned. "Do you expect to summon a Daedra Lord by pouring some sort of hair glop at her feet?"
That was after I smiled at Buffy's words just before it.

One nit:
Clasped together before her face were graceful hands rising from elbows that draped the stone fabric of her sleeves.
It just feels backwards to me. I think it might read better like this: Clasped together before her face were graceful hands that rose from draped stone sleeves covering her elbows.

Overall, a great chapter and it leaves me wanting more!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 3 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #70

Ancient
Group Icon

Now this was a brilliant way of bringing Buffy into the Meridia quest, by tying it to the Necromancer storyline. On top of that by having Raminus send Buffy, the upcoming arc has more depth than just "adventurer wanders in and thinks 'oh I'll just summon a daedra lord and see if she has something for me to do'" as it works in the game.

his fingers returned to the steepled pose that made him look so 'head masterish'
And this observation is so Buffyish! smile.gif

If the roads be
This is just delightful, how Buffy starts picking up the Scots brogue.

"For my hair. I combine it with rosemary oil and aloe vera for conditioning, glow dust for shine and some finely ground bergamot for a nice citrus scent."
Now that is definitely our Buffy!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grizzly20
post Oct 3 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #71

Retainer

Brilliant! Another Daedra lord, can't wait to see what events unfold in the cave lair of the Necromancers. I also love how Buffy thinks of such concoctions, such as the shampoo/conditioner that she made out of Alchemical ingredients. Thank Monk seemed a bit jealous of Buffy's hair as well. He he......can't wait for more!
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Oct 4 2010, 08:30 AM
Post #72

Mouth
Group Icon

Wow! Just wow! What a way to introduce Meridia’s quest! The set-up for this chapter felt like the beginning of a particularly good supernatural mystery. I felt as if Buffy was Clarice Starling summoned into Jack Crawford’s office and asked: “Do you spook easily, Starling?”

I agree with SageRosa’s comment about Raminus sending Buffy on this quest. This is a great way to get Buffy’s feet wet with the main thrust of the Mages Guild questline without making her get an annoying staff! I can't wait to see how she deals with the necromancers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Oct 5 2010, 02:19 AM
Post #73

Knower
Group Icon

A glass of...er...water
A loaf of bread
And Buffy

...what more can a man want?
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 6 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #74

Paladin
Group Icon

In Chapter 34, Buffy accepted a request from the University to look into the death of a mage killed by necromancers near the shrine to Meridia. She proceeded to the shrine and learned that the murderous black robes were holed up in nearby Howling Cave.

Tiny announcement: I went back and changed the episode that revealed Slayer's enchantments (Chapter 20). I changed the fire damage component to shock damage. I didn't want to deal with the bow burning off the clothes of its victims. tongue.gif Some arcing and sparking seemed more appropriate.

hazmick- Thank you! How Buffy's interest in Daedra Lords evolves over time will be an undercurrent for quite some time.

treydog- Realizing that Merida wanted an undead offering, I couldn't resist dredging up Buffy's hair conditioner recipe. It is the same one she shared with Alawen in BF 1.0. Thank you for picking up on the trust placed in her by several within her guild. It is not lost on her, and she willingly returns their loyalty. Despite the fact that she doesn't 'look' like a mage, the guild is indeed much like a family to her. Thank you.

mALX- Thank you! Buffy does indeed seem to somehow sidestep her way into quests sometimes.

Rider- Thank you for your inspiration that helped me spark the Valley of Horses to life. Aye, 'tis a magical place. Thanks for the nit; I agree and smoothed it out.

SubRosa- Thank you. Buffy makes me work very hard on the 'why' she would do something (like take on a quest). Hair glop - It was actually you and Teresa that caused me, long ago, to think in terms of creative uses for the alchemy ingredients in game. Imp chips and ectogoo - they're not just for potions and poisons anymore! biggrin.gif

Grizzly- Thanks for the kind words. As Buffy deals with the necrodudes in the next episode, I hope you will see her 'cuddly like a rattlesnake' dichotomy on display.

Destri- Thank you. As I alluded above, I hope you will enjoy how Buffy's involvement with Daedra Lords evolves through several stages.

Foxy- One of the most precious compliments you have ever given me was likening Buffy to 'comfort food' a long time ago. I am quite honored to receive another such comment. Thank you!

35 By the Detritus of the Profane, Part 2

An iron bowl hosted a flickering blue flame just outside the entrance to Howling Cave. Bright midday sun filtered through overhead branches, casting dappled light upon the otherwise shaded floor of the small grassy meadow. The same breeze that animated the gently swaying treetops, carried the smell of death. Birds cheerfully sang above the tranquil setting that was decorated with gravestones, open coffins and the remains of men or mer in various states of decay. A statue depicting an ominous robed figure seemed to be guarding the heavy wooden door.

Slipping to the ground, I patted the shoulder of my nervous mare as her nostrils fluttered at the smells. My hand reached for the comfort of Slayer, and I quietly entered the cave.

The odor was stronger in the musty darkness. I could detect several well-dispersed life signs in what seemed to be more abandoned mine than cave. Stalking with methodical care, I killed several rats, a couple zombies and one skeleton. No necromancers - only a door that appeared to lead deeper into this foul-smelling place.

As soon as I entered the next section of this cave, I pressed my back against the door and involuntarily sucked in my breath. There was a forest of large pink glows nearby. With a panicky flick of my wrist I disappeared. I now had a moment for my pounding heart to slow and sort this out.

I was at the end of a short tunnel. The candlelit chamber ahead was full of life signs. I could see a mixture of zombies and necromancers moving about, still unaware of my presence - perhaps half a dozen figures, and all quite close.

Now what, Buffy? Maybe I could convince them to reduce their own numbers. I would need some help though.

One of the necromancers stopped, giving me a clear shot. Forming an emerald globe of energy in my right hand, I sent it swirling towards the black-clad figure.

The black robe I had tricked into becoming my ally, quickly summoned a zombie and attacked his comrades.

I immediately released a lavender glow in front of me, from which a ghost materialized. He floated towards the chamber and began casting magic waves of cold into the fray. Perhaps we could cut this crowd down to something more manageable.

Between the taunts, screams, groans and summoning auras, it was difficult to judge what was happening in the swirling sea of pink ahead. Eventually however, the combat stopped. The survivors began searching for my ghost, but he had expired during the fight. I disappeared again as a mist of magicka settled over me.

It seemed the black robes were smart enough to suspect the source of their problem was near the entrance door. There were now two of them within arm's length, glaring at the space occupied by my invisible form. Turning sideways, I threaded a path between them. Continuing past the hanging spiked ball trap that someone or something had triggered, I entered the chamber ahead.

The cavern contained two dead necromancers and one zombie that was alive - or undead, or whatever zombies were. I cast a spell to command him (it?), then another to resummon my ghost. I backed deeper into the shadows as both my allies attacked the two black robes still posted by the entrance door.

Oh for Meridia's sake! I rolled my eyes in frustrated irritation as each of the necromancers summoned their own zombie. This was getting ridiculous. Undead fists and steel daggers passed harmlessly through my ghost as he struck our foes with icy fingers. Finally the fighting ceased, leaving once again, two necromancers blocking the exit.

I snuck into a corner to rest a moment and sip a potion to help recover magical energy faster.

Fortunately, these two necromancers made no attempt to detect my life sign in the dark. Rather, they seemed intent on waiting for intruders to emerge through the door they continued to guard. Were they apprentices, who simply didn't know how to search for pink glows? Or, since they hadn't actually seen me yet, perhaps they believed my ghost was the only threat they faced. Either way, I felt more comfortable with the odds now. I could feel my grip on Slayer changing from that of the prey to that of the hunter.

With my appetite for magicka sated, I crept back to where I could see the door. I cast a command spell at one of the necromancers. Each summoned a zombie (of course), and a balanced fight began. I selected and applied a poison that would both kill and prevent spell casting.

Finally, I nocked the first arrow of this fight. Over its tip, I watched the Buffy team battling the black team. Presently one of the necromancers was killed, his zombie evaporating. The other summon quickly expired.

A moment later, the lone survivor was jerked violently by the impact of my arrow. He staggered against the door and collapsed. One of Slayer's enchantments caused arcing sparks to dance around and through his body for a moment. He managed to struggle to his feet. Dazed and unsteady, he leaned his back against the door behind him. I could now see an emerald tinge, that I found quite beautiful under the circumstances, had blossomed into his face and hands.

I nocked a second arrow that could impale the necromancer to the heavy wooden door, then paused to watch him. He raised a fist. I smiled to see that no orange aura formed. No zombie materialized to his aid. He was unable to cast spells, and his life was slowly yielding to my poison. I chose to let his torment linger, staying the arrow that could have delivered instant death.

He stared into the shadows that hid me. In pain and confusion he tried over and over to cast a spell until he succumbed. I returned the arrow to my quiver and relaxed a bit. Amazingly, I was unscathed.

Shouldering my bow, I slipped on a ring of light to see better, and reached for my hunting knife. I checked the necromancer's corpse and completed the bloody task of recovering my arrow.

A search of his robe, and those of his companions revealed some gold coins, potions, spell scrolls and a black soul gem. Recalling that part of my task here was to gather evidence, I collected up the items. I then removed one of the robes that was undamaged by arrow or dagger, rolled it up and placed it in my pack.

After removing the ring of light, I slid Slayer from my back. There remained one distant life sign within the considerable range of the two rings I wore. I cast a spell to temporarily boost that distance even further. Still, just the one glow. By its shape and movement, I assessed this to be a fifth, and final necromancer.

I explored the cave in vain, for clues that could explain the brazen daylight assault that had killed one of our mages and a follower of Meridia. Finally, only the last necromancer's cavern remained. It was dimly lit by candles.

Silently blending into shadow, I approached until I could see that this black robe was wearing a hood; I guessed that meant he was probably the leader. On one of the walls, hung a filthy red and black banner bearing the skull and bones symbol of my enemies.

A corpse was hanging by its feet in the cavern. I knew it wasn't Phane Thierry, who had been killed near Meridia's shrine. The young mage's body had been recovered by the Skingrad chapter, and was buried next to the Great Chapel of Julianos. The cemetery there was well-patrolled by guards, especially after Phane's death.

No, the body suspended from the ceiling of this foul cave was that of some other poor nameless victim. Entrails protruded from an incision running from his breast bone to his crotch. As a hunter, I knew this man or mer was being field dressed like a deer or boar.

Because of the chamber's layout, this would be a fairly short range fight. After applying another combination poison, I fit the tail of my broadhead arrow to Slayer's silk bowstring. Tracking the target with the tip of my arrow as he moved about the cavern, I waited patiently.

He stopped in front of the corpse. Working with a knife and tongs, he started removing organs.

I was glad for my anger, as it prevented nausea.

The impact of my arrow from this range propelled the necromancer into a nearby wall, and forced the air from his lungs. Thanks to the bow's enchantments and some quiet sidestepping, my exact location remained uncompromised. The black robe was unable to cast spells and too badly injured to stand. His life was quickly draining from his body as he stared with confusion at the poisoned arrow imbedded deeply in his chest.

I stepped from the shadows, with another arrow nocked just in case. "You'll be dead in a moment," I purred to the necromancer. "Perhaps I should reanimate you and we could do this a few more times? Would you. . . enjoy that?" I dropped the seductive tone before continuing, "As I told one of your dead comrades in Vilverin: No warning, no quarter."

His eyes registered my words, then rolled back in his head and closed. As the pink glow faded from his body, I added, "Oh, I forgot. I don't know how to reanimate things anyway. Sorry."

I knew clearing this cave had been a necessary task, but I made no pretense of being noble or righteous about my motivation. I had enjoyed killing these necromancers. If I felt hatred for them, I couldn't help that it bubbled forth in the tactics I used. I made no apology for my cruelty when it came to two-legged varmints who would harm those I held dear.

I quickly searched the chamber, anxious to leave the dark stench of Howling Cave.

On my way out of the cave, I thought about Phane Thierry. He would never attend the University, nor fulfill his dream to become an Imperial Battlemage. These black robes had snuffed out his young life. "Rest in peace, guild mate," I whispered. "You are avenged."

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 6 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #75

Ancient
Group Icon

Whew! What a battle! Here is my fave line, "I was glad for my anger, as it prevented nausea." - EW, the description of the body before that merited that statement !!!! Awesome Write !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 6 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #76

Ancient
Group Icon

Bright midday sun filtered through overhead branches, casting dappled light upon the otherwise shaded floor of the small grassy meadow. The same breeze that animated the gently swaying treetops, carried the smell of death.
An excellent description. Contrasting the natural beauty of the scene with the very unnatural horror of the necromancer's leavings.

and one zombie that was alive - or undead, or whatever zombies were.
Indeed, whatever they are!

Amazingly, I was unscathed.
Amazing indeed! That was one tour de force of illusion magic. Buffy really struts her stuff in that battle, showing all of her chops as both an archer, and especially a mage.

Cuddly as a rattlesnake, and well she should be given the circumstances. Suddenly Buffy is looking a lot like Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction:
"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers! And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!"

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 6 2010, 11:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 6 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #77

Master
Group Icon

Buffy makes a heck of a battlemage herself - great use of Illusion, as SubRosa pointed out.

This is my favorite line:
I could feel my grip on Slayer changing from that of the prey to that of the hunter.
What a way to capture the growing confidence in her own skillz!

Loved this chapter, Acadian!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Linara
post Oct 6 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #78

Agent

Ooo! Buffy the Necromancer Slayer returns smile.gif I liked her speech, it was the sort my mage would make, short and to the point. I look forward to the next Chapter!
Nell

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Oct 7 2010, 01:48 AM
Post #79

Master
Group Icon

The first paragraph grabs you by the throat (or nose) with its brilliant description of the contrasts between the natural and unnatural worlds outside the cave.

This entire installment is am absolute gem- so much so that I would basically have to quote the whole thing to indicate the "good parts." Marvelous writing, my friend.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Oct 7 2010, 02:29 AM
Post #80

Knower
Group Icon

As usual, well written, Buffy.

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post

15 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2024 - 06:44 AM