Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

706 Pages V « < 652 653 654 655 656 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coffee Shop Forever, It's time to kick bottom and drink coffee!
Dark Reaper
post Aug 31 2017, 03:04 PM
Post #13061

Master
Group Icon

Now I had my coffee I'm ready to watch radar. Where is it?

--------------------
Live and let live.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Aug 31 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #13062

Mouth
Group Icon

The machine is now as clean as I could get it. Apple cider vinegar honestly doesn't smell that bad but I'm glad to be done. Probably should have used white vinegar. My coffee goblin of a sister already bought a bag of "doughnut shop style" coffee so tomorrow I'll break it in.

I'll be honest I REALLY need coffee right now but it's mostly because I'm irritated. But it's 4pm so there's no helping it.

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Aug 31 2017, 10:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Sep 20 2017, 02:16 PM
Post #13063

Master
Group Icon

Nothing says a good breakfast then a cup of coffee and a bowl of ranch flavored potato chips.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 23 2017, 03:40 PM
Post #13064

Ancient
Group Icon

Happy Thanksgiving Chorrol !!!! My thanks are for Starge for creating this site for us; and for all the wonderful friends I've met here!

This Thanksgiving feast is for all of us to share; from me to you:

IPB Image

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 23 2017, 03:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 23 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #13065

Ancient
Group Icon

That turkey looks good!

Did you know that pumpkin pie and pumpkin flavoring is not really pumpkin? It is squash. Real pumpkin tastes horrible, so everyone in the food industry uses squash instead.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 23 2017, 04:19 PM
Post #13066

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 23 2017, 10:09 AM) *

That turkey looks good!

Did you know that pumpkin pie and pumpkin flavoring is not really pumpkin? It is squash. Real pumpkin tastes horrible, so everyone in the food industry uses squash instead.

I actually hand made every bit of that meal using Gimp! laugh.gif

Wow, I never knew that about the canned pumpkin for pie making!

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 23 2017, 04:20 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 23 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #13067

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 23 2017, 09:09 AM) *

That turkey looks good!

Most interesting. I wonder how long this (about Pumpkin Pie) has been true? My mom made pumpkin pie for T-day, and possibly a few other times during the year, when I was a lad. My first thought is that she used real pumpkin back then (1950s/60s). But I might well be wrong. Also, what happened back before canned food was a thing? Did they use real fresh squash even then, and for some reason call it pumpkin?

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 23 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #13068

Ancient
Group Icon

Khajiit doesn’t consume anything with the word “pumpkin” in it. Pumpkins are for carving jack o’lanterns at Halloween, not for making pies or spicing and putting in your late. Subbie’s fun fact about squash standing in for pumpkin proves this!

biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 23 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #13069

Ancient
Group Icon

It's probably been that way to some extent for some time. But with the way pumpkin spice has taken off in the last few years as the latest fad, I am sure they are using more squash than ever right now.

The big pumpkins that you carve up for Halloween are pretty much useless for cooking. The ones people actually cook (when they cook real pumpkin) with are small pumpkins. I had real pumpkin pie from one of those when I was young, and wanted to spit it out it was so awful. Of course that was just me, everyone else seemed to like it. I am a picky eater. I don't like onions either.

Of course technically pumpkins are squash. They are part of the same family. I think that is why they can get away with substituting butternut squash or whatever type they actually use for pumpkin flavor these days.

Another flavor horror: Vanilla flavoring is not made from vanilla beans anymore. It is beaver anal gland extract. Just remember that they next time you are eating vanilla ice cream. It is really beaver butt juice ice cream.

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 23 2017, 11:08 AM) *

Khajiit doesn’t consume anything with the word “pumpkin” in it. Pumpkins are for carving jack o’lanterns at Halloween, not for making pies or spicing and putting in your late. Subbie’s fun fact about squash standing in for pumpkin proves this!

biggrin.gif

I love squash! It is great sliced thin and fried up in pan. I would totally be down for a squash pie, or a squash spice flavored drink. laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 23 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #13070

Paladin
Group Icon

Well, I'm enjoying a wonderful slice of pumpkin squash pie with coffee this morning. Just thankful I don't have any beaver butt ice cream in the freezer. wink.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Like mALX, I'm very thankful for the wonderful friends that grace Chorrol. happy.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 23 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #13071

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Nov 23 2017, 10:18 AM) *

Well, I'm enjoying a wonderful slice of pumpkin squash pie with coffee this morning. Just thankful I don't have any beaver butt ice cream in the freezer. wink.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Like mALX, I'm very thankful for the wonderful friends that grace Chorrol. happy.gif

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all of Khajiit’s American friends at Chorrol. For those not celebrating T-giving today, this one hopes you have a great day too!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 23 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #13072

Paladin
Group Icon

So, speaking of squash and such... Americans tend to call those round orange jack o lantern things pumpkin and most everything else in the same family squash of one sort or another. Mrs Acadian, being an Australian, informs me that down under, there is a particular small vegetable they call pumpkin. Everything else in the same family there is generically called pumpkin. So when she buys acorn, butternut or various types of squash here, they are all pumpkin to her. Who knew pumpkinology was so vexing? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Nov 23 2017, 05:36 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 23 2017, 05:37 PM
Post #13073

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Nov 23 2017, 10:34 AM) *

So, speaking of squash and such... Americans tend to call those round orange jack o lantern things pumpkin and most everything else in the same family squash of one sort or another. Mrs Acadian, being an Australian, informs me that down under, there is a particular small vegetable they call pumpkin. Everything else in the same family there is generically called pumpkin. So when she buys acorn, butternut or various types of squash here, they are all pumpkin to her. Who knew the pumpkinology was so vexing? laugh.gif

Pumpkin: the vegetable with an identity crisis. laugh.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 23 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #13074

Ancient
Group Icon

It's all a conspiracy by Big Pumpkin. They don't want us to know The Truth...

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 23 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #13075

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 23 2017, 10:46 AM) *

Take back our desserts and overpriced coffee drinks!!

Viva la revolución!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 23 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #13076

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 23 2017, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 23 2017, 09:09 AM) *

That turkey looks good!

Most interesting. I wonder how long this (about Pumpkin Pie) has been true? My mom made pumpkin pie for T-day, and possibly a few other times during the year, when I was a lad. My first thought is that she used real pumpkin back then (1950s/60s). But I might well be wrong. Also, what happened back before canned food was a thing? Did they use real fresh squash even then, and for some reason call it pumpkin?

No, they have a very small pumpkin known as a pie pumpkin (though I don't know its legitimate name) = you pull the seeds out, wash them/salt and garlic them/bake them in the oven. This makes a nice snack for hungry children waiting for the turkey to come out of the oven.

Scrape out the yuk from inside the pumpkin and throw it or feed it to the pigs. Then cut the pumpkin into pieces. Boil them till soft, (I use a touch of salt in the water). Mash them; season for pumpkin pie (add eggs and either Sweetened Condensed Milk (my choice) or milk and sugar. Fill crusts and bake. It makes an awesome pie; but is a lot of trouble. The canned Libby's is SO much easier, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 23 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #13077

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 23 2017, 11:14 AM) *

*snip*
I had real pumpkin pie from one of those when I was young, and wanted to spit it out it was so awful. Of course that was just me, everyone else seemed to like it. I am a picky eater. I don't like onions either.

Of course technically pumpkins are squash. They are part of the same family. I think that is why they can get away with substituting butternut squash or whatever type they actually use for pumpkin flavor these days.

Another flavor horror: Vanilla flavoring is not made from vanilla beans anymore. It is beaver anal gland extract. Just remember that they next time you are eating vanilla ice cream. It is really beaver butt juice ice cream.
*snip*

I have tasted pumpkin pies that were so bad I wanted to spit them out too. I think is is all in the recipe and care in properly prepping the pie to make it into pie filling. My personal homemade pumpkin pie is delicious; my sons and neighbors demanded several of them every year and scarfed them up like wolverines as quickly as they were made.

I agree with you on the vanilla extract. The fake stuff sucks; I won't use it either.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 23 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #13078

Councilor
Group Icon

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! happy.gif

mALX, what a beautiful feast you created!

I use Libby’s solid pack squash-pumpkin for my pies because the results are nearly identical to the one year I used local small “pie” pumpkins and it’s far less hassle. I roasted them cut in half like acorn squash, then scraped out the squishy part and mashed it, then squeezed out the extra juice so it wouldn’t be runny. I tried the steam/boil method one year with my mother-in-law using her family recipe, and the pies were disgusting. Probably because we started off with a non-pie pumpkin variety, then added a bunch of water to an already stringy and wet product, then boiled them which didn’t help the flavor. Also we used store-bought crust, which in my family is a hanging offense.

The Grits family has feasted, and in a moment of inspiration I directed everyone who was so inclined to make themselves an extra plate for dinner round 2, which usually occurs the minute I get the fridge closed on the last leftover container so I have to drag the whole lot out again. Now when they come sniffing around I can just raise my glass and shout. “Go get your plates, bitches!!” biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 23 2017, 10:36 PM
Post #13079

Spam Meister
Group Icon

In accordance with the American tradition I wanna say thanks to Starge and Alex for bringing this site to us and keeping it alive and screaming kicking! biggrin.gif

Also; proper thanks to mALX for the dinner table! happy.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 23 2017, 10:36 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 23 2017, 11:49 PM
Post #13080

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 23 2017, 10:46 AM) *

Big Pumpkin...don't you mean the Great Pumpkin wink.gif .

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post

706 Pages V « < 652 653 654 655 656 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:10 PM