> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
Kane
post Nov 22 2017, 02:46 PM
Post #3221

Master
Group Icon

Thor: Ragnarok was incredible.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 23 2017, 11:47 PM
Post #3222

Master
Group Icon

I'm watching a Legend of Zelda walkthrough on the laptop and Christmas Music on the TV.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 24 2017, 04:06 AM
Post #3223

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 19 2017, 03:41 PM) *

A Lucy Worseley documentary new to me (!!!!) has appeared on YouTube: Elizabeth I's Battle for God's Music. Interesting subject and, as I've likely admitted more than once, I have an absolute crush on Ms. Worseley, who's in her element here. I hope this doesn't soon disappear, as Lucy's airings all too often do.

Aw heck, the vid was removed by user!

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 28 2017, 05:18 PM) *

Look at what I found at Target

I almost did not buy it, because I thought it really was a VHS tape. But in reality it is blu-ray and dvd.

laugh.gif

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Nov 23 2017, 05:47 PM) *

I'm watching a Legend of Zelda walkthrough on the laptop and Christmas Music on the TV.

panic.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 24 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #3224

Ancient
Group Icon

I saw Justice League. It was pretty good, but not spectacular. It is definitely better than the previous DCEU movies, save for Wonder Woman of course. That is still the best of the lot by far. The characters are good, there is plenty of slam, bam super action, and while simple, the plot works.

Justice League is not as dark and grim as the other DCEU movies (with Wonder Woman being the exception again). It has some good moments of humor. Not a lot, but they definitely help. Aquaman making an honest heartfelt soliloquy was great (no spoilers). There was a lot of talk about reshoots, and I think most, if not all of the humor came from them.

TBH, I think Zack Snyder bowing out of directing part-way through helped as well. I think he is one of the two big issues the DCEU has. His version of Watchmen was awesome. His desire to present a dark, brooding, brutal vision was exactly what that story needed. But that is not the case with your average superhero flick. Marvel has proven that keeping it somewhat light and blending humor as well as characterization and action is the key to these films. It is no surprise that the best DCEU movie - Wonder Woman - followed that formula to a tee. It had serious subject matter, and it had humor, and it had fun, and that works.

They other big issue DC has it trying to rush too fast to catch up to Marvel. It was too soon for a team movie. They should have followed Marvel's example by having solo movies for most, if not all the characters. Then put them all in the big team-up, like with the first Avengers movie. A team movie does not give a lot of screen time to any one character. And introducing 3 main heroes at once, with little time for each to shine on their own, does not allow us to really get to know them.

That said, what we did see of Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg was good. All three of the new characters had development, and were in a different, better place as people by the end. The same is true of Bats, Wondie, and Supes (really the core of the League, and the DC universe overall). Batman and Diana had some really good scenes together. A Bats/WW movie team up would have worked I think, and still could be quite good. The way Affleck and Gadot play them, they go very well together.

So my final word is that if you like Super Movies, go see Justice League. You will have a good time with it.

p.s. one thing I recall now, is that the score was really muted. Every time Wonder Woman went into action, I was expecting to hear this. But sadly no. The music was hardly there at all, or was so subtle I never really paid attention to it.

p.p.s. Keeping in the tradition of Wonder Woman the name Justice League is never used. Likewise the heroes are almost always called Barry, Arthur, Clark/Kal-El, Diana, and so on. I think there was one point where Bats said "the Aquaman" when referring to Aquaman, and there were several mentions of dressing up like a bat in reverse. But that is it. Not a complaint. Just an interesting bit if trivia.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 24 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #3225

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 23 2017, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 19 2017, 03:41 PM) *

A Lucy Worseley documentary new to me (!!!!) has appeared on YouTube: Elizabeth I's Battle for God's Music. Interesting subject and, as I've likely admitted more than once, I have an absolute crush on Ms. Worseley, who's in her element here. I hope this doesn't soon disappear, as Lucy's airings all too often do.

Aw heck, the vid was removed by user!

Bah, I knew it! About the only of her videos that stay posted any length of time are the few I'm not overly fond of. Such a shame. I should have downloaded the darn thing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 25 2017, 12:37 AM
Post #3226

Ancient
Group Icon

Just watched Angry Joe's review of Battlefront II. I am sure it was much more fun than the actual game. laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 27 2017, 07:52 AM
Post #3227

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 24 2017, 06:37 PM) *

Just watched Angry Joe's review of Battlefront II. I am sure it was much more fun than the actual game. laugh.gif

I LOVE Angry Joe's reviews! Lol on the loot you get from them with the deluxe edition vs standard, laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Nov 27 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #3228

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 27 2017, 07:52 AM) *

I LOVE Angry Joe's reviews! Lol on the loot you get from them with the deluxe edition vs standard, laugh.gif

The gaming world we live in

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 27 2017, 11:18 AM
Post #3229

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 27 2017, 03:01 AM) *

Thanks Winter Wolf. Very interesting and informative video.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 27 2017, 03:20 PM
Post #3230

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 27 2017, 04:01 AM) *

Nice! Kind of glad that ESO refuses to do the "Pay to Win" Loot crates, (and even though they end up being mostly junk; they make plenty of sales off them just on people trying to get certain mounts or pets; etc).

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 27 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #3231

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 27 2017, 08:20 AM) *

Nice! Kind of glad that ESO refuses to do the "Pay to Win" Loot crates, (and even though they end up being mostly junk; they make plenty of sales off them just on people trying to get certain mounts or pets; etc).

Khajiit’s biggest beef with the way ZOS does things is with the gems from the crown crates. The exchange rates are awful! 1 gem for 25 Crown Lethal Poisons? Come on! This on isn’t saying we should get 1 gem for every Crown Lethal poison (or other similar, maddeningly common item), but Khajiit does think 5 gems for a stack of 25 is fair. As for the other items, they can stand to go up a bit also. “Already get that costume? Well we are only going to give you like 12 gems for it, even though it would take you 100 to get that same item.”

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Nov 27 2017, 04:46 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 27 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #3232

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 27 2017, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 27 2017, 08:20 AM) *

Khajiit’s biggest beef with the way ZOS does things is with the gems from the crown crates. The exchange rates are awful! 1 gem for 25 Crown Lethal Poisons? Come on! This on isn’t saying we should get 1 gem for every Crown Lethal poison (or other similar, maddeningly common item), but Khajiit does think 5 gems for a stack of 25 is fair. As for the other items, they can stand to go up a bit also. “Already get that costume? Well we are only going to give you like 12 gems for it, even though it would take you 100 to get that same item.”

Agreed, that kind of shocked me that I could only get one gem per 25 poisons. But I finally got enough to get my sweet pet badger, that I absolutely love! (even if it does look like a skunk, lol)

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 30 2017, 12:38 AM
Post #3233

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 28 2017, 01:34 PM) *

Sleeping Betty, an animated short.

SPEW! I finally got the chance to see this, rollinglaugh.gif Loved the artwork, and some really funny sound effects!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Nov 30 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #3234

Master
Group Icon

Dat Inifinity War trailer doe....

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Dec 1 2017, 10:36 PM
Post #3235

Councilor
Group Icon

I just watched Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Yeah, I know, I'm late to the party laugh.gif

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much. But damn, that was a great film. I mean sure, there are a few niggling little things that are slightly annoying, but there's just so much about the film that's brilliant, even if it gets a little carried away towards the end.

Ultimately, there is only one thing I don't like about the film: Chirrut Imwe. They gave him some great lines, and I know that The Force is just mystic mumbo-jumbo, but it's not that kind of mystic mumbo-jumbo. I figure he's somewhere between rule-of-cool and "we need some Force-based action in this movie, but without a Jedi".

But annoying as his nonsensical action sequences are, they're nowhere near enough to take the edge off that film biggrin.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 2 2017, 12:15 AM
Post #3236

Ancient
Group Icon

Chirrut was my favorite character in the movie. I understand what you mean about him being sort of a stand-in for a Jedi. But I looked at him a little different. To me he was just a classic Asian Monk, who happened to be in Star Wars instead of Kung Fu. I have always liked that character, so it was The Rule of Cool FTW for me.

I admit that it is far from an original character. But familiar archetypes are not always bad. They help bring characters into a sharp focus when you only have a limited amount of screen time to give them. I was glad that they didn't make him uber-powerful. He is badass in his own little way, but does not overshadow everyone else. He and Baze are the main characters in the Guardians of the Whills novel, and they were both very well done there, with a lot of depth for each.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 2 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #3237

Ancient
Group Icon

I watched a new Lifetime series, all about people coming to grips with their feelings and life-choices, and having sex. Occasionally there is a gunfight. It's called The Punisher. Check it out.

Seriously, I finished watching season one today on Netflix. It was ok, but nothing great. Way too much talking and feelings and exploring relationships. I understand that they obviously wanted to portray real people with real issues resulting from some real f'ed up stuff. But when I watch The Punisher I expect more killing, less emotional reflection.

The casting did not help for me. I have never been a fan of the guy playing Frank Castle. His nose is just all wrong. I don't trust anyone with a nose like that. The same with the guy playing Micro. Not because of his nose though. He's too young, too fuzzy, and has a family. Microchip ought to be an older guy, and definitely more of a loner. Like Gene Hackman's character in Enemy Of The State.

I was a little lost at first. The story picks up from the end of Daredevil Season 2. Which I had forgotten most of. It took a bit to jog my memory. Basically it adds a new layer on top of that, starting with Castle's time in Afghanistan. But it is basically more revenge, which is perfect for a character like Punny.

The villains are good. I liked how one becomes Jigsaw in the end. There are some good points with lots of great shootouts. The mad bomber part was great. That was exactly the kind of thing I want from a Punisher show. But sadly there is a lot of barren space between those great shootouts.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 10 2017, 02:14 AM
Post #3238

Ancient
Group Icon

I finished season 4 of Turn, and with it the end of the series. It was excellent. It was much better than the 3rd season, which I think got a little ridiculously convoluted in places. Though Major Andre's fate was a powerful event in it. Season 4 is tight, personal, and brings us closure for all the characters. Unlike many shows that absolutely bungle their endings (yes, I am looking at you Penny Dreadful and Lost), Turn does it right. All in all, it is an outstanding show, and I highly recommend folks to Netflix and chill with it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 10 2017, 02:27 AM
Post #3239

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 9 2017, 07:14 PM) *

I finished season 4 of Turn, and with it the end of the series. It was excellent. It was much better than the 3rd season, which I think got a little ridiculously convoluted in places. Though Major Andre's fate was a powerful event in it. Season 4 is tight, personal, and brings us closure for all the characters. Unlike many shows that absolutely bungle their endings (yes, I am looking at you Penny Dreadful and Lost), Turn does it right. All in all, it is an outstanding show, and I highly recommend folks to Netflix and chill with it.

Khajiit lost track of Turn in season 2. May pick it up later.

This one was very disappointed in the ending of Penny Dreadful. Here’s a show that Khajiit loves so much, and they just rush the second half of season 3. Oh, and then we learn this is the end of the series like 2 episodes before the season 3 finale! After the incredible episode A Blade of Grass, this came as a complete shock to this one. Sad. Khajiit is still a little bitter about it.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 16 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #3240

Ancient
Group Icon

I am back from watching The Last Jedi. It was good, but not great. It had more humor than The Force Awakens. Sometimes too much, because it felt forced in places. It is also long, about 2.5 hours, which seemed a bit too much. It stats to drag in places, especially when you have to pee!

It picks up right where TFA left off. Starkiller Base may have been destroyed, but the First Order still has their fleet, and they know where the Resistance Base is. So they are closing in to take out the Resistance before they can evacuate. In the meantime Rey is standing in front of Luke Skywalker, holding his lightsaber out to him.

I am not going to give away any spoilers. There are some surprises.

Kylo Ren was a vastly improved as a villain in this one. In TFA he was just a whiny brat. In this one he comes more into his own as a real person. Part of that is from when we finally learn what happened when Luke's Jedi Academy was destroyed.

There are a few new characters. Rose was nice, and I loved seeing Amilyn Holdo again. She appears in the novel Leia: Princess of Alderaan. Yoda even makes an appearance as a Force Ghost. I also think the kids from Canto Bight were those from the Legends of Luke Skywalker novel. But I am not positive.

Notably missing (at least to me) was Snap Wexley and Jessika Pava. They were my two favorites among the "little people". sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 160 161 162 163 164 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:47 AM