Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 3, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
Acadian
post Dec 23 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #41

Paladin
Group Icon

I thought on this quite a bit. I thank you, mALX for drawing out the possibility of confusion. As the writer, any such possibility is squarely my fault. Our story needs to stand up to scrutiny on its merit without the need for amplifying explanation from this humble scribe. As such, I have taken the liberty of changing the paragraph in question.

The original, that seemed to draw the question was this:

I had no qualm with bears or other natural forest predators as long as they didn't threaten Superian or I. Slipping on my ring that could cut through shadows with a blue clarity, I entered the creature's cavern only with my eyes. After determining that it was yet a third dead end, I quietly withdrew.

The revision, that I hope adds clarity is this:

I had no qualm with bears or other natural forest predators as long as they didn't threaten Superian or I. By giving them a wide berth or remaining hidden, I was often able to avoid their attacks. Still undetected, I slipped on my ring that could cut through shadows with a blue clarity. I then entered the creature's cavern only with my eyes. After determining that it was yet a third dead end, I quietly withdrew.

smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 23 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Dec 23 2010, 09:45 AM) *

I thought on this quite a bit. I thank you, mALX for drawing out the possibility of confusion. As the writer, any such possibility is squarely my fault. Our story needs to stand up to scrutiny on its merit without the need for amplifying explanation from this humble scribe. As such, I have taken the liberty of changing the paragraph in question.

The original, that seemed to draw the question was this:

I had no qualm with bears or other natural forest predators as long as they didn't threaten Superian or I. Slipping on my ring that could cut through shadows with a blue clarity, I entered the creature's cavern only with my eyes. After determining that it was yet a third dead end, I quietly withdrew.

The revision, that I hope adds clarity is this:

I had no qualm with bears or other natural forest predators as long as they didn't threaten Superian or I. By giving them a wide berth or remaining hidden, I was often able to avoid their attacks. Still undetected, I slipped on my ring that could cut through shadows with a blue clarity. I then entered the creature's cavern only with my eyes. After determining that it was yet a third dead end, I quietly withdrew.

smile.gif

GAAAAH!!! I didn't mean to cause a problem, I'm sorry Acadian! sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Dec 24 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #43

Knower
Group Icon

That was a lovely chapter- so much going on. I had to take a breath at the end.

It is a shame Buffy does not use the old Drain health 100 points x 1 sec and Soul Trap 1 sec. It is the ultimate Troll killer. I guess with low endurance it does make you think about combat a bit more and not just spam the one spell, lol.

mALX- that is one crazy game that you have got there. I thought the bugs of last year were a thing of the past..... still, it does make for some interesting plot lines. smile.gif

SubRosa- wow, what a kitty!! Lucky that Buffy does not kill wildlife..... well, sometimes!!

Merry Xmas to all at Chorrol from Australia- I hope that rain east of LA is not causing any problems to Buffy's mentor. Fingers crossed.

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Dec 24 2010, 10:29 AM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 25 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #44

Paladin
Group Icon

During Episode 59, Buffy cleared Tidewater Cave and returned the Eye of Nocturnal to its owner. She wondered if the Argonian thieves - Weebam-Na and Bejeen would learn not to steal from Daedra Lords. As she returned to Lewawiin, she noted a large campsite called Fisherman's Rock, but did not stop to investigate.

MyCat- Thank you! Buffy getting up before Superian could wander over dribbling a mouthful of water was inspired by a morning habit of my late great dane. Oh yes, for lockpick users, that skellie key is wonderful!

Zalphon- Thank you for those kind words regarding Buffy the illusionist and her charms!

SubRosa- Oh my, if it was possible to top your previous shot of Freya threatening the printer, you surely did with this most recent one. She's adorable! wub.gif

Buffy can be lethally elegant when she's in control of a fight, but when surprised, she gets flustered and can be easily humbled - ohmy.gif - even by a sneaky rat! Or, as Boderi told her in episode 43:

"You are at your best when you control the situation. Your strengths are your cunning and planning - you are an archer first, a mage second and a skirmisher not at all." . . . "Very few of us can come up with an ideal solution in the span of a few heartbeats," she paused to chuckle softly, "and you, my butterfly dragon, are not one of those few."

For those familiar with the Leyawiin quests or BF 1.0, thanks for bearing with our glaring trail of bread crumbs loaves. For those as mystified as Buffy about why Acadian diverted them to Nocturnal's Shrine, thanks for being patient with us. It will be become clear to Buffy within the next couple episodes.

hazmick- I'm so glad Haa-Rei is enjoying Buffy's Leyawiin Expedition. How wonderful that he discovered Cobra's Dance! Thanks for your kind words. Yup, our Arcane University-trained mystic archer almost got bested by a rat! You can bet she won't be sharing that story with Daenlin or Boderi. embarrased.gif

Grizzly- I agree that Nocturnal is a fun quest. Although forest predators will attack Buffy, she does not go out of her way to provoke them, as she feels somewhat of a kinship with them. Thank you!

mALX- Thank you for feeling Buffy's pain, panic, then embarrassment regarding the rat. I also thank you for kindly pointing out the potential for confusion regarding why the bear and Buffy did not attack each other. Thanks to you, I was able to easily edit in the required clarification and improve our story! smile.gif

Thomas Kaira- Heh, the rat surprise was not one of Buffy's proudest moments. She really perked up as she read your comment though - you're right! She didn't pee herself and therefore has something to be proud of. tongue.gif Thanks for the nod to Joss Whedon (creator of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series).

Wolf- So glad you popped in! Buffy thinks of her dear Wolf as one of her several god fathers. Yes, I hear that drain health 100x1sec is deadly at lower/mid levels, and when prepped up first by stacked weakness to magic can be lethal at any level. Buffy will probably always think like a mystic archer: Magic exists to help her stay alive and kill better with her bow. Indeed, she will never compete with Delphine Jend when it comes to straight up death blasting spells. In fact, the strongest fire spell she knows is 'flare' - good for killing rats, lighting torches, heating bathwater and cooking. laugh.gif

60 The Leyawiin Expedition, Part 4- Sir Mazoga

Standing in the lavish great hall of Castle Leyawiin feeling very small, I couldn't miss the orc that Tsavi had told me about. As she scowled up and down the hall in massive dark armor, she looked quite capable of snapping wood elves like twigs. I could see why the guards were intimidated. I hoped this investigation wouldn't involve a confrontation with her. My few encounters fighting orcs had shown them to be frighteningly quick and almost unstoppable - rather like being charged by a fast moving building.

Second thoughts crept into my head. Perhaps I should have had one of my Black Horse Courier sisters carry a note to Savlian requesting a letter of introduction to the Court of Leyawiin. Might that not have been a good way to get accepted in the castle and perhaps be invited to one of the Countess' dinner parties? After all, Savlian was a captain in the Imperial Legion and I was working for him - well, sort of.

I frowned as I imagined such a letter: 'This skinny elf is named Buffy. She doesn't follow directions very well, and abandons her post with some regularity.' Shaking my head, I thought, no. Perhaps I should stick to my orc plan.

Outside the brown cape I wore, Slayer and a full quiver adorned my back. My cuirass was the color of dark tree bark and its scales had been fashioned from hardened leather. Greaves and boots - both made of buckskin - completed the outfit. I looked as much like an adventurous scout as I could.

I tried to remember what I had read in Tar-Meena's books at the Mystic Archives about castles and courtly things. It was time to put that fancy education and extensive reading to good use. Besides, I had a secret weapon. Paladins knew about courtly things, didn't they? I closed my eyes for a moment. Then I smiled and whispered, "You're right, Acadian. We can do this." Taking a deep breath, I approached the throne area.

An ornate carpet of green and gold led toward a pair of elaborate wooden thrones that were flanked by flaming fire bowls. The massive seats of power themselves were trimmed with silk brocade in colors that matched the royal carpet. Before I could study the occupants of the two thrones, I was stopped by a guard who asked my business.

I introduced myself to the young soldier and requested an audience to offer my service regarding the mysterious orc. I was ushered forward and simply presented as an adventurer.

The balding Imperial in black and gold finery spoke from his throne, "Marius Caro. By the grace of the Nine, Count Leyawiin." His eyes met mine with none of the condescension I had experienced when I bought my small home from Count Bravil. "You are a stranger to me, but well met."

I bowed, then reminded myself to stand up straight. "Buffy from Bravil, Milord. I am an archer, trained in the ways of magic." I stopped there. The books said let nobles control the conversation.

The Count looked at me carefully with piercing blue eyes, as if reconciling my appearance and words, but his face held a smile. "Perhaps you would like to do a service for County Leyawiin?" The kindly voice reflected wisdom and confidence. His presence seemed to exude royalty to the extent he felt no need to impress.

"It would be my humble honor to serve Leyawiin if I am so able, Sire." I thought I said the line naturally enough to belie the fact that it came from Acadian.

The Count briefly looked at the woman seated to his left and touched her hand. The Imperial in green silks was obviously the Countess. She returned his look with a barely perceptible nod.

"Buffy," Lord Leyawiin interrupted my staring at his Countess, "this is Alessia Caro." When he looked at her this time, he smiled warmly. "For reasons beyond my ability to fathom, she graces me as Lady Leyawiin."

The Countess smiled slightly and gave me one of those tiny nods. I bowed again. "Milady." She seemed pleasant enough, but I could see what Sanguine meant about her being 'an especially somber soul'. Unlike the Count, she seemed to wear her position quite consciously. Recalling the spell Sanguine had given me, I imagined the Countess naked, and suppressed a smile.

"I need your help, Buffy," the Count continued. "An orc named Mazoga within this very castle claims to be a knight, but will not reveal her business. Find out why she is here, report to me and you will earn a reward suitable for those who serve Leyawiin."

"Yes, Milord." I backed up a few paces, dipped my head to the Count, turned and headed toward the entrance area of the great hall.

"Good luck." While staring at the ominous orc, I had almost forgotten that I was standing near one of the guards. Upon hearing his words, I turned to meet the eyes of the smiling Imperial.

"Thanks." I smiled back. "Does my nervousness show? Any tips?"

The guard allowed a small chuckle and looked down at my boots. "Well. . ." he slowly raised his eyes, evaluating me from foot to head, "she looks two, maybe three times your size. Clearly the tough approach hasn't been working for us, and I don't imagine it's gonna work for you - no offense. You know what I think? Oh, my name's Lucilious by the way. Sergeant Lucilious Marcus. Work with what you got. No one's tried being nice to her."

"Well met. I'm Buffy, and no offense taken." Standing next to Lucilious, I folded my arms across my chest. I then raised one hand to rub my chin as I stared at the orc. "That sounds like wise advice. Well, here goes."

"Are you the Count?" The orc's words, upon my approach, caused me to question her vision - or at least her ability to discern a Count from a Bosmeri bowgirl. Her tone was an odd mixture of hopefulness and irritation. Much more relevant at the moment however, was that she towered above me and was curling her upper lip to emphasize a pair of large yellow tusks.

"N-no. But he sent me?" I winced at my stammering performance. Nice, Buffy. Way to exude confidence.

"The Count sent you? I guess that'll have to do. I'm Sir Mazoga." She then took a deep breath and sighed. "Yes, I'm an orc. I was born under a rock and I have no parents, so I don't need a family name." Her rote recital made it clear this was not the first time she had explained her heritage.

"Well met, Mazoga. I'm Buffy." At least I didn't stammer. In fact, I managed a tentative smile as I added, "I'm an orphan without a family name too."

"I guess you don't know how to talk to a knight, so I'll teach you. Say: Yes, Sir Mazoga."

My smile evaporated. Her response to my attempt at kindness infuriated me. Bristling, I stared up at the orc. The fingers of my right hand twitched slightly as I thought about the Cobra's Dance power that could drop her to the floor and allow me time to back up and open fire with Slayer. My mouth opened to speak, then it closed again. Mind your temper, Buffy.

I looked at the long blade hanging from Mazoga's sword belt. The grip was well worn. Both the pommel and cross guard were of a translucent green material that likely infused the blade hidden within its scabbard. The orcish armor and elven shield were liberally decorated by dents and nicks - undoubtedly the result of many encounters with tooth, arrow and blade. I realized that if I started a fight, the guards would join this orc to quickly cut me down. If I antagonized Mazoga to attack first, I would not survive her opening strike. No, Buffy; don't let your dragon spirit draw your butterfly butt into a fight you can't win. Besides, you have a task here.

Swallowing my anger, I eased my clenched jaw enough to free the words, "Yes, Sir Mazoga."

"All right then, just don't forget." She seemed satisfied for the moment. "I'm a free knight. I don't have a lord. You got a problem with that?" Her lip was starting to curl again.

Despite the visions of armor-piercing arrows dripping with poison that danced in my head, I resigned myself to being a compliant little elf - at least for the moment. "No, Sir Mazoga,"

"I didn't think so," the orc replied. "There's an Argonian in town named Weebam-Na." She then snapped the command: "Get him for me."

If this orc's manner continued, she was well on her way to a date with the back half of the Buffy Doctrine. "Yes, Sir Mazoga." At least I knew where to find Weebam-Na.

* From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

This post has been edited by Acadian: Dec 27 2010, 04:14 AM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 25 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #45

Ancient
Group Icon

WOO HOO !!! And the two headstrong females finally meet !!! Both are devoted friends to whomever they care for, I see a lifelong friendship ahead - but oh what a rocky start to it !!! Buffy is about to get a lesson in just how stubborn an Orc can be, lol. I love this beginning for the two of them, it promises some banging heads and egos till they compromise. Great Write !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 25 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

rather like being charged by a fast moving building.
Something Buffy has had very personal experience with thanks to the Arena.

Buffy reflection about obtaining a letter of introduction before meeting the Count was good. But even better was her musings of what such a letter might contain! laugh.gif

Buffy's conversation with the Count was to the point, as one imagines an encounter between aristocracy and a peasant would be. Our bowgirl did not put a foot wrong, thanks to her ability to keep from smiling even faintly at the thought of the havoc Sanguine's spell might wreak upon the stuffy Countess. I very much enjoyed how much you conveyed without words. How the little mannerisms you portrayed in the Count and Countess told Buffy volumes about their natures, and relationship.

And I see the well-known Mazoga charm has not lost any of its efficacy in your tale! Buffy's anger over the orc's rudeness is quite understandable. Her ability to transcend that however shows wisdom. Not to mention an understanding of Pappy's Rule #10 - Never fight a battle you cannot win.

she was well on her way to a date with the back half of the Buffy Doctrine.
Very well put!

nits:
I saw you describe the hilt of Mazoga's sword as being volcanic glass. It might be better to use the term ebony instead. I know it is described as being volcanic glass in Morrowind, but it is commonly referenced in Oblivion as ebony, and it might confuse readers with IRL volcanic glass. I must admit that was the first thought I leaped to.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 26 2010, 07:51 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Dec 26 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #47

Mouth
Group Icon

'This skinny elf is named Buffy. She doesn't follow directions very well, and abandons her post with some regularity.

You're hired! biggrin.gif

Very courtly, very stylish. The count is such a good guy, his wife is such a...vfr%jbvfu8!

I'm eager to see how Buffy handles 'Sir' Mazoga (and the black bow bandits?). laugh.gif

This post has been edited by hazmick: Dec 27 2010, 11:51 AM

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
treydog
post Dec 27 2010, 03:12 AM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

Rasping breaths came from behind me. The trolls were moving quickly and I wasn't prepared for two of them. Flustered, I clung to the shadows and tried to melt into the gray rock wall. If they saw me this close, even disappearing might not protect me from a lucky swing. Perhaps I could survive one hit from a troll, but not two. The huge beasts lumbered past and continued deeper into the cave. Finally, I allowed my captive breath to quietly escape.

Yes, it is necessary to block quote that whole paragraph. With deceptive simplicity, you build tension, provide description, and tell us about Buffy’s limitations. And you do it with simple, beautiful language.

Several more spells continued to bounce the dead rat down the corridor before I realized I could stop.

I remember this moment from the BF 1.0. And I still see it as some of your most “real” description of “casting panic.” Much like soldiers who reportedly kept working the bolt and firing their rifles- without remembering to reload.

I
loved swimming, but not in the same water with these appropriately named life support systems for teeth.

I was mystified but content. "I have no idea why you led us to Nocturnal's Shrine, my paladin." After a moment I added, "But we're still alive and I still trust you."

And a satisfying ending to a wonderful chapter. Will savor (and comment upon) Buffy's encounter with Sir Mazoga soon.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 27 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #49

Councilor
Group Icon

“she looked quite capable of snapping wood elves like twigs”
A nice reminder of the difference in scale that a wood elf faces when dealing with an orc!

”I stopped there. The books said let nobles control the conversation.”
A great thought that is so very Buffy.

”Work with what you got.”
Tremendous advice from Lucilious. I like him.

I too enjoyed Buffy’s imaginary letter from Savlian, very much. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 27 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #50

Mouth
Group Icon

I looked at the long blade hanging from Mazoga's sword belt. The grip was well worn. Both the pommel and cross guard were of a translucent green material that likely infused the blade hidden within its scabbard. The orcish armor and elven shield were liberally decorated by dents and nicks - undoubtedly the result of many encounters with tooth, arrow and blade. I realized that if I started a fight, the guards would join this orc to quickly cut me down. If I antagonized Mazoga to attack first, I would not survive her opening strike. No, Buffy; don't let your dragon spirit draw your butterfly butt into a fight you can't win. Besides, you have a task here.

Swallowing my anger, I eased my clenched jaw enough to free the words, "Yes, Sir Mazoga."

I see that gray matter within your head continues to serve you well, Buffy. Don't listen to those naysayers and their "dumb blonde" jokes, they're just jealous. Especially after seeing you in your adventurers leathers, I'd wager. hubbahubba.gif

*Ready for more*

PS: Don't let Foxy read this comment.

EDIT: I must come out of the closet on this, I am a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... I've seen every episode. embarrased.gif

It is very pleasing to me you were able to preserve that delightful innocence of SMG's Buffy (well, for the first five seasons, at least) in this one.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Dec 27 2010, 11:43 PM

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
The Vyper
post Dec 28 2010, 05:02 AM
Post #51

Retainer

QUOTE(Acadian @ Dec 25 2010, 07:54 AM) *

If this orc's manner continued, she was well on her way to a date with the back half of the Buffy Doctrine.

laugh.gif I love the way you describe the meeting of two confrontational people as well as Buffy's last thought on the matter (in this episode). We can only hope that some of Buffy's umm...painfully learned restraint will eventually wear off on Mazoga. *crouches in fear* I mean 'Sir Mazoga'. Really, I meant to say that! *the sound of an orc fist knocking teeth out of alignment* Glad I'm related to an Orthodontist.

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Dec 27 2010, 03:19 PM) *

I am a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... I've seen every episode. embarrased.gif

I'm a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer as well. And I own every episode. cool.gif

--------------------
Five out of four people have trouble with math. If that made sense to you, you're one of them.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 28 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #52

Paladin
Group Icon

In Episode 60, Buffy met the Count and Countess of Leyawiin and accepted the task to investigate a mysterious orc claiming to be a knight. Although bristling at Sir Mazoga's rude manner, Buffy allowed herself to be intimidated into agreeing to the orc's demands.

And so, Buffy Fiction 2.0 passes the 100,000 word mark. I estimate we are very close to half way complete with her Book 1. I am so very thankful for our many friends and the encouragement you give us. smile.gif

mALX- Thank you so much for highlighting exactly what we are trying to portray! More head banging, tests of wills and sparks ahead. I would say Buffy clearly lost 'round one'. Let's hope she can do a little better in the coming episodes.

SubRosa- Yup, between Azura's quest and the Arena, Buffy's been scared by orcs aplenty! Thanks for the kind words on how we're portraying Marius and Alessia Caro. And Mazoga - what a delight to write. Our intent is to show the development of the relationship between Buffy and Mazoga by optimizing show vs tell.

Thank you for the observation regarding our description of Mazoga's sword. You and I exchanged a couple PMs that helped me to see that the term 'volcanic glass' can refer to either glass or ebony. Thanks to your help, I was able to easily edit in some clarification to better portray that it was a glass sword carried by Mazoga.

hazmick- Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed what Buffy imagined a letter of introduction from Savlian might look like. tongue.gif I'm relieved that our intent regarding the Count and Countess seems to be coming across. He is indeed quite kind to Buffy (and later to Mazoga as well). Unfortunately, he is also in love with a deeply flawed woman. I'm glad you are looking forward to Buffy + Mazoga, because we will indeed spend some time on that. Mazoga will become a significant and enduring figure in BF.

treydog- Thank you so much for the kind words! Your own amazing skill and generous support of Buffy is a wonderful encouragement to both of us.

Grits- Thank you for the very kind observations! Lucilious Marcos is a pure invention that is not in the game of course, but he is a good man and will be an enduring character in Buffy's story.

Thomas Kaira- Thank you. I too was pleased to see Buffy exercising some discretion. Although we have great respect for Buffy Summers, our bowgirl's name was chosen largely for alliteration: Buffy the blond Bosmeri Bravilian bowgirl. Oh, and it was better than Bambi or Barbie. laugh.gif

The Vyper- Welcome to Buffy's Journal! I know that you are well-familiar with her due to her constant chatter about mystic archers on the other forum. I'm glad you enjoyed the sparks between Buffy and Mazoga. Quite a bit more of that in this next episode as they begin to sort each other out.

61 The Leyawiin Expedition, Part 5- Don’t Touch My Horse

"I have no interest in talking to that orc at the castle." Weebam-Na shook his head emphatically. "From what I've heard, this Mazoga sounds like nothing but trouble. Right Bejeen?"

His fellow Argonian thief and mate nodded as she stood quietly in the corner of their small home.

Tilting my head and raising one eyebrow, I shifted to my backup plan. "Have you seen the Eye of Nocturnal, Weebam-Na?"

I caught a glimpse of alarm as it fleetingly traced across the reptilian features of Bejeen's face. Her mate's countenance however, remained impassive and his eyes narrowed as he replied, "What? I think perhaps you should leave. I told you the last time you were here I've never heard of such a thing."

"Well I've seen it," I purred. "In fact," I stepped closer to Weebam-Na, "Nocturnal was quite grateful to have it back - from Tidewater Cave."

The Argonian's orange eyes shot open wide, clearly reflecting the full impact of my words. "She sent you? No!" He reached for his dagger.

I had planned for this reaction and was ready for it. My hand streaked out to touch Weebam-Na. His body went limp and collapsed. By the time he recovered, I was three paces away and looking at him over the tip of an arrow. Bejeen had not made a move, except to raise both hands to her mouth. I shifted my aim to her chest. "Weebam-Na, we're going to talk. Do I need to impale Bejeen to the wall first?"

The Argonian's previously inscrutable face now plainly showed his resignation. He turned and looked into the orange eyes of his mate. "You were right, Bejeen. I should have listened to you. I'm sorry." He then turned to me. "I know Nocturnal sent you to kill us. It was my decision to steal the Eye. Could you spare Bejeen at least?"

With great effort, I ignored Weebam-Na's gallant plea for the life of his lady. "Nocturnal did send me to kill you both," I lied icily. "It seems we find ourselves in a position to help each other, do we not? You accompany me to speak with Mazoga, and I ignore Nocturnal's request?"

"Y-you would do this for us?" Weebam-Na's relief was obvious. He then added quickly, "Yes, let's go speak to this Mazoga of yours."

I lowered my bow, relieved that my bluff had not been called. "Thank you, Weebam-Na. Rest assured I have no love for Nocturnal. Neither you nor Bejeen need fear her now." Having returned the Eye of Nocturnal to the Daedra Lord, I figured she owed me the small deceit I had just used.

"You are Weebam-Na?" Without waiting for an answer, Mazoga continued, "Do you know where Fisherman's Rock is?"

The Argonian nodded, apparently to both questions and inquired, "Why?"

"Take me there." Mazoga ignored the question. "Now!"

Having met the letter of my requirement and with no further need to suffer Mazoga, Weebam-Na quickly refused the demand. The orc stormed off to the other end of the great hall.

Weebam-Na turned to me and shrugged. "Good luck with Mazoga. She has terrible manners, but my sniffer tells me she might be worth it."

Mazoga's eyes angrily followed the Argonian as he wasted no time leaving the castle. I decided to let the orc stew a bit. Noticing that Sergeant Lucilious Marcus was on duty again in the great hall, I calmly strolled over to him and smiled. "Hail, Lucilious."

"Afternoon, Buffy." The Imperial nodded pleasantly. "Seems you're still alive. Any progress with our large green friend?"

"Actually, I think yes." Turning to look at the pacing orc, I added, "We'll know more in a few moments." I walked over to Mazoga.

"You there!" Mazoga's manner had not been improved by Weebam-Na's refusal. "Do you know where Fisherman's Rock is?"

"As I told you before, Sir Mazoga, the name is Buffy. Yes, I know the location of Fisherman's Rock."

"Take me there!" After a moment of what appeared to be reflection, she added, "Buffy."

"I will be happy to. Just as soon as you tell me why we're going," I replied trying to sound more confident than I felt.

Mazoga cocked her head and started to curl her lip as she looked down to meet my eyes. We remained locked in a test of wills. After a moment her lip relaxed slightly and she spoke, "We're going to see Mogens Wind-Shifter and his gang. They're holed up at Fisherman's Rock. Talk, do you hear me? No fighting. At least not until I talk to him."

I nodded my understanding. "It's late now, Sir Mazoga. Meet me outside the East Gate at dawn."

Once outside the castle I could see that long shadows, cast by a sun which had dipped below the city walls, had claimed the quiet streets of Leyawiin. Tired feet carried me toward my temporary base at the Mages Guild.

Nocturnal's Shrine had been Acadian's idea. The fact that performing her task had provided both the leverage to coerce Weebam-Na, and the location of Fisherman's Rock was not lost on me. "Thank you, my paladin."

"Did you bring breakfast?" The orc hungrily eyed the mare beneath me. She wasn't joking.

I slid to the ground, and with equal seriousness stepped between Superian and Mazoga. My heart overruled my head as I narrowed my eyes and hissed, "Her name is Superian. If you make a move to harm her, I will kill you."

We were close enough that I could feel the warm fog of the orc's breath as it swirled into the cool morning air around my face. She glared down at me and no doubt saw the glow in my right hand and anger in my eyes. I'm sure I didn’t intimidate her one bit, but neither would I budge when it came to defending my precious mare. Another test of wills.

Mazoga's face softened just slightly and she broke the deadly silence. "Is she your friend?"

My expression also eased some, I'm sure. "Yes, Sir Mazoga. One of my best friends. And I meant what I said if you hurt her." Was that a bit of respect I saw in the orc's eyes?

"I know about friends, Buffy. I won't hurt your horse." As if to make up for her concession, she barked, "Now let's stop wasting time!"

I mounted Superian and evaluated the morning sun reflecting off the nearby stream outside Leyawiin's East Gate. "We should reach Fisherman's Rock by midday." If not for the surly orc, it would have been a beautiful cool morning. We started north along the Yellow Road.

With Mazoga walking closely behind, I felt safe. Complacently so. The nearby roar of a challenge changed that. As the tawny beast emerged from the woods on our right side, fear for Superian once again caused me to act without thinking. I jumped from the mare to position myself between her and the mountain lion. I didn't have time to hit the ground and call forth an illusion spell before the beast leaped.

The unstoppable charge of a lion was met by the unstoppable charge of an orc. The big cat, stunned by Mazoga's shield bash, barely hit the ground before the orc thrust once with her sword. It was over with a decisive quickness.

Mazoga and I stared at each other for a long time. Finally, she cocked her head and asked, "You love your horse that much?"

"I do. When it comes to protecting her, sometimes I. . . well, I just act before I think." Embarrassed, I looked down and stirred the dirt with the toe of my boot. "Had it been just Superian and I, we would have outrun the lion. I guess we're just not accustomed to traveling with someone else." I shrugged and looked up at the orc. "Thanks for your help."

"Lucky horse." Mazoga shook her head. "Let's go."

We continued along the Yellow Road without further words or incident until the sun was directly overhead.

Drawing Superian to a stop, I held up my hand. The hovering yellow ball of sparkles ahead had not seen us. I quietly slipped to the ground and pulled Slayer from my back. "Wait here, Sir Mazoga." I crept forward. As I slid an arrow from my quiver, I heard a sword being drawn and the sound of heavy armor clanking. Mazoga charged past me, blocking my shot.

Armed with Slayer at a distance, wills-o-the-wisp were no threat to me. I had, however, seen them cut down even Legion soldiers at close range. Mazoga could not hope to win with her unenchanted weapon. I ran behind her.

As I feared, the vicious slashes of Mazoga's emerald blade had no effect on the sparkling ball. Just as predictably, the wisp emitted a slender orange beam that was sucking the very life from the orc. Aiming through her upper back, I shouted, "Mazoga, duck!" I thanked Mara to see her instantly kneel, exposing my target. The enchantment that Slayer imparted to my arrow stunned the wisp. "Stay down!" I yelled as I loosed a second arrow. The sparkles collapsed into tiny puddles on the ground, and Azura's Star claimed the creature's energy.

Then it dawned how instinctively I had relied on my bow. I cursed myself for not thinking to use the command creature spell I had crafted for just such occasions. When the situation quickly changed, I had failed to nimbly shift to a better tactic.

I was equally angry at Mazoga for not following my instructions. She stood as I approached. Once again, we stared at each other for a long time. It was my turn to break the silence. "I guess you don't know how to follow instructions from a scout, so I'll teach you: Wait, when I tell you to wait." I lifted an eyebrow sharply. "You got a problem with that?"

Mazoga's flash of indignation faded after only a moment, as she undoubtedly recognized the similarity between my words and her 'Sir Mazoga' lesson of the previous day. She then said awkwardly, "I'm just not used to having someone who will help me, Buffy."

I was struck by the loneliness in her brown eyes. Even though I didn't have any real family, I had plenty of friends who cared about me. And I had Acadian. Who did Mazoga have? "You're welcome, Sir Mazoga, and we're even now." I glanced back along the Yellow Road at Superian, who stood patiently where I had dismounted. Sensing my thoughts, the mare bounced her head, then pranced our direction. Turning back to the orc, I said, "Here, let me heal your wounds. We're getting close to Fisherman's Rock."

This post has been edited by Acadian: Dec 29 2010, 02:20 AM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Dec 28 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #53

Mouth
Group Icon

Mazoga is learning to do as she's told, good. Now you just have to make sure she can control herself at Fisherman's rock! (Or anywhere that has horses...or mountain lions...or wisps. biggrin.gif )

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 28 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

And now we see the full significance of the Nocturnal quest. Buffy's fairy godfather certainly does plan ahead! Buffy shows that she is made of stern stuff as she "convinces" Weebam-Na. You have so firmly established her repertoire, that I knew it would be the Cobra's Dance that Buffy went to. That is good writing on your part, as you have etched her character so firmly in my mind that I know how she will react.

If you make a move to harm her, I will kill you.
Now Mazoga is staring at the back end of the Buffy Doctrine™! An important exchange though, as not only does Mazoga gain some estimation of Buffy, we also see a glimpse into what makes the orc tick.

The unstoppable charge of a lion was met by the unstoppable charge of an orc.
Well put!

And finally an exchange of shared rescues for the women to bond over. We see a bit more of the woman under Mazoga's armor once more. We also see that while Buffy has all the tools she needs to be a first class mystic archer, she still needs the experience to think of the right thing, at the right time.

nits:
We continued along the Yellow Road without further words or incident until the sun was nearly overhead.
I know that you are meaning to show that it is noon, but perhaps saying something like "directly overhead", or "at its highest" might work better? Technically any time the sun is over the horizon, it could be said to be overhead.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 29 2010, 01:55 AM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

I had forgotten about Mazoga wanting to eat Superian, and just sprayed all over my monitor and keyboard when I saw it, ROFL !!! That is one of my fave Buffy moments - and a huge step toward the two of them becoming friends - they both revere good friends.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Vyper
post Dec 29 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #56

Retainer

QUOTE(Acadian @ Dec 28 2010, 06:44 AM) *

The Vyper- Welcome to Buffy's Journal! I know that you are well-familiar with her due to her constant chatter about mystic archers on the other forum. I'm glad you enjoyed the sparks between Buffy and Mazoga. Quite a bit more of that in this next episode as they begin to sort each other out.

Oh, I followed Buffy quite a bit over there. (just never commented-not really sure why) I remember reading about Mazoga's (AaaH! I mean Sir Mazoga's) encounter with target practice a Will-O-the-Wisp. I thought it was great then. I still do. I also look forward to

"Weebam-Na, we're going to talk. Do I need to impale Bejeen to the wall first?"

One of my all time favorite Buffy lines.

"Did you bring breakfast?" The orc hungrily eyed the mare beneath me. She wasn't joking.

Orcs and their appetites. They bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse", don't they? tongue.gif

The unstoppable charge of a lion was met by the unstoppable charge of an orc.

Very well described. salute.gif

--------------------
Five out of four people have trouble with math. If that made sense to you, you're one of them.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 30 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #57

Councilor
Group Icon

I had planned for this reaction and was ready for it. My hand streaked out to touch Weebam-Na. His body went limp and collapsed. By the time he recovered, I was three paces away and looking at him over the tip of an arrow. Bejeen had not made a move, except to raise both hands to her mouth. I shifted my aim to her chest. "Weebam-Na, we're going to talk. Do I need to impale Bejeen to the wall first?"
Buffy at her scariest, when she’s executing a well thought-out plan. smile.gif

Once outside the castle I could see that long shadows, cast by a sun which had dipped below the city walls, had claimed the quiet streets of Leyawiin.
I love how you put this.

Oh my goodness, the good coffee that was lost when I read that remark.

We were close enough that I could feel the warm fog of the orc's breath as it swirled into the cool morning air around my face.
So vivid, and a nice reminder that when Buffy stands up to Mazoga, she is standing up, and up, and up to her. And also, yuck. blink.gif

Mazoga charged past me, blocking my shot.
Don’t you hate that! I can’t wait to hear what transpires at Fisherman’s Rock.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 31 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #58

Paladin
Group Icon

In Episode 61, Buffy was able to extort Weebam-Na into talking to Mazoga. The Argonian however, refused to escort the surly orc to a local landmark. Buffy agreed to accept this scouting task. The next morning, Buffy and Mazoga traveled toward Fisherman's Rock - and began to gain some understanding of each other.

hazmick- Thank you. It seems Buffy has stumbled upon the fact that the brusque and socially unskilled Mazoga seems to understand and respect the term 'friend'. How fortuitous for both ladies that it is a term Buffy also well-understands.

SubRosa- I thank everyone's patience as the significance of doing Nocturnal's quest was finally and fully revealed. It was Buffy's love for her mare that gave her the 'stones' to really stand up to Mazoga and not back down this time. Fortunately, the little elf's backbone seemed to impress the mighty orc. As ever, I thank you for your wonderful insight into what we are trying to portray and your encouragement. I made a minor edit to account for your nit - thanks!

mALX- You nailed it again, my friend! Few things can bring out the unyielding deadliness in Buffy like a threat to her horse. Fortunately, she survived the standoff with Mazoga and, as you say, took a huge step on the rocky path toward an enduring friendship.

The Vyper- Buffy will get to the Tournament of Archers in about 20 more episodes - and we promise to finish it this time! wink.gif Thank you for citing some of the important passages from this last episode. I suppose opposites attract somewhat, for it is a joy to write Buffy + Mazoga!

Grits- Thank you for reinforcing some of what I see in Buffy. She can be scary and elegantly lethal when she can plan and control an encounter. Yet, when surprised or her expected plan changes, she fumbles and flusters to the point that even a rat can embarrass her. As Boderi pointed out, this flaw seems to be part of Buffy's nature, and she works hard to compensate for it. Thank you also for the kind words and encouragement regarding some of our descriptions - I have to really work hard through lots of edits to have any hope of getting all the words where I want them. tongue.gif

All- Over the next few episodes, Buffy is vividly reminded of why she has neither the stomach nor skills to be a melee fighter. Mazoga however, readily and brutally demonstrates her lethality at very close range. To effectively portray the stark contrast between their fighting styles requires a somewhat liberal use of graphic violence. Caution: Bloodwork ahead.

62 The Leyawiin Expedition, Part 6- A Knight's Oath

"Remember me?" Mazoga said to the bare-chested Nord. He appeared to be the leader of the foursome gathered near the bonfire at Fisherman's Rock.

"No," he shot back suspiciously.

"I'm Mazoga. You killed my friend, Ra'vindra."

The Nord slowly moved one hand toward his hip. "No idea who yer talkin' about, orc." As his fingers came to rest on the grip of an elven daggar, the weapon responded with a faint glimmer of magic.

I began calmly moving toward a firing position, formulating plans, increasing my distance and offsetting myself from Mazoga. In addition to the Nord that I presumed to be Mogens Wind-Shifter, there was a Dunmeri archer and two Khajiit equipped with an axe and war hammer respectively. I was sure my precautions would not be necessary. After all, even Mazoga wouldn't lead us into a straight-up fight against twice our number.

Would she?

"You're a lying pile of troll dung." Mazoga snarled as the emerald blade of her long sword sang from its scabbard. "You killed Ra'vindra and now I'm going to kill you!"

So much for talking. My heart bounced up to my throat. The Nord drew his dagger.

Cobra's Dance flew from my fingertips quickly enough that it hit Mogens in the chest before Mazoga could get in the way. As the Nord fell helplessly to the ground, Mazoga was frighteningly efficient. She thrust her sword into his bare chest, twisted it viciously, then yanked it free to the sound of escaping air.

The Dunmer's arrow that struck Mazoga's hip caused her to wince with pain. It also condemned the orc's next target. She moved quickly to the nearby archer, forcing the dark elf to switch from her bow to a dagger.

The Khajiit with the war hammer started to circle around behind Mazoga.

My first arrow staggered the other Khajiit - the one with the axe running toward me. I immediately chased the arrow with a spell that caused him to flee in terror and give me a few seconds.

I loosed a second arrow into the other Khajiit, knocking her off balance and interrupting the raised war hammer intended for Mazoga. By chasing this arrow with a fear spell as well, I was able to provide my ally a moment alone with the Dunmer.

Mazoga shield-swept away the dagger of the lunging archer. She then stepped back and, with a quick slash, opened the Dunmer's throat with such ferocity it nearly severed her head. Bright crimson spurts arced from the elf's wound as she fell.

The Khajiit closest to me had recovered from my spell and charged again. My third arrow of the fight caused him to drop his axe and collapse.

Much less than one minute had passed, and three of the gang were now dead. I nocked an arrow, but quickly realized it would not be needed. The remaining Khajiit, with her war hammer raised high, swung downward. Mazoga deftly sidestepped, and the warhead of the hammer thudded harmlessly into the dirt. The momentum of the massive weapon carried the Khajiit to one knee. Hopelessly off balance, overextended and outmatched, the cat woman raised her head to look up at the orc.

Staring at the back of the Khajiit, I knew she did not have time to stand upright, much less raise her heavy weapon from the ground. Although I felt no pity for her, I was glad I couldn't see her face.

The waist-level swing of Mazoga's long sword was a green blur. The forward quarter of the blade hit the side of the Khajiit's head with a sickening crack. I couldn't tell if the noise was caused by cleaving her skull or from snapping her neck. Regardless, she was dead.

It was over.

Silence descended, punctuated only by heavy orcish breathing and crackling from the bonfire. Mazoga and I stared at each other, standing in the middle of this carnage. Her armor was covered by the blood of our foes, her blade dripping the stuff on the ground. Finally, she spoke. "I kept my oath. Mogens Wind-Shifter is dead."

"Sir Mazoga, I led us here and even fought alongside you." My voice had a softness that surprised me after this violent fight. "We've saved each other's lives more than once this day. Isn't it time you told me what this is all about? Who was Ra'vindra?"

"Mogens Wind-Shifter had a gang." Mazoga's voice seemed gentler now as well. "They robbed and killed travelers, but Ra'vindra saw them and told the guards. Mogens got away, but first he killed Ra'vindra. . . my best friend, Ra'vindra." Mazoga paused and looked down at the dead Nord. When she raised her head and met my eyes again, determination had pushed aside the sadness in her voice. "That day I became a knight and swore a knight's oath. I searched a long time, and asked everyone. Then finally I heard he was hiding at Fisherman's Rock. So now you know everything."

My perception of this green monster who dealt death with such skill and brutality was now confused. I didn't quite know how to respond to the passion or nobility of her cause, so I didn't. "Let me heal your wounds, Sir Mazoga." There was an arrow protruding from her hip that had made its way between the plates of her armor. With my hand on the arrow, I carefully allowed destruction magic to travel down its shaft. The arrow disintegrated, leaving a clean wound.

"Be still now," I said quietly. I then placed both hands on the orc and allowed white magic to flow between us. I could sense many old injuries and broken bones, long healed. The pain I felt from her arrow wound was mild, and overshadowed by the ache emanating from her heart. As I allowed the magic to fade, I asked, "Better?"

Mazoga nodded. "You're good at that, Buffy. I thought you were a scout."

"I'm an empathic healer also," I replied.

"Empa-what?" The orc looked confused.

"While at the Arcane University, I discovered that the way I heal is by laying on of hands. It is the same type of healing used by a priestess," I then added with a smile, "or a paladin. I can assess, diagnose and even feel the pain of my patients - things most mages cannot do. It comes with a price however, in that it requires the physical bond of touch."

"You can't just throw a healing spell from a distance?" she asked.

"No." I shook my head. "If you get hurt and I can't get to you, the best I can do is toss you a potion; that's why I carry them. Sir Mazoga, I'd like to stay here and think for a while." Smiling up at the orc, I asked, "Will you meet me in Castle Leyawiin tomorrow morning?"

"I'll be there." Mazoga curled her upper lip, but it was different this time. I believed she was returning my smile. "I won't forget what you did for me today, Buffy. Say, you oughta be a knight yourself."

Mazoga then turned and headed south, back toward Leyawiin. After she disappeared into the trees, I grasped the small pouch containing a lock of Superian's mane. My spirit sought that of my mare. Through her eyes, I could see she still up on the Yellow Road where Mazoga and I had left her - just beyond sight of Fisherman's Rock. Superian and I had learned that when the distance between us was short, the Call of Corsair didn’t require a map or teleportation. She could simply and safely walk to me. "I need you," I whispered.

A few moments later, I could see the mare approaching from the direction of the road. She stopped at the edge of the camp, nervously snorting her disapproval and pawing the dirt with one hoof. Considering the mutilated bodies and blood soaked ground around me, I couldn't blame her.

I began checking the corpses. I saved Mogens' enchanted dagger for Mazoga to use against wills-o-the-wisp.

"Acadian, Mazoga thinks I should become a knight. If I were not standing amidst four corpses, that would be a laughable thought. A knight who must hide behind others or strike from the shadows to survive - how very noble."

The Dunmeri archer that Mazoga had killed wore an unusual cuirass of forest green mail. It was trimmed with dark brown elven plating and leather. Wiping off some of the blood, I could see the quality was exquisite. Battling nausea, I removed it from her almost decapitated body. The cuirass was remarkably light, and I figured the smith in Leyawiin could size it down to fit me. I walked the few paces to the cleansing waters of the Lower Niben. So much blood.

"Such vengeance is a noble deed," Count Marius Caro declared. "Buffy, you were brave and wise to assist Mazoga. I offer you one thousand Septims for your service to Leywiin, but I hope you will decline it."

He held up one hand to prevent my response as he continued, "Instead, I would prefer you consider the following offer: I have created a chivalric Order of the White Stallion. Find and kill the leader of the Black Bow Bandits, the orc named Black Brugo. If you succeed, I will bestow on both you and Mazoga, the title Knight Errant of the White Stallion for your service. Take some time to think on this, and perhaps consult your friend, Mazoga before letting me know your decision."

After I had properly withdrawn from the throne room, I slowly walked toward the main area of the great hall. Knight Errant would be a title accepted throughout Cyrodiil. My head spun from the possibilities. I would be a member of the Court of Leyawiin and even considered a minor noble. Perhaps as a knight, I would have better luck recruiting assistance for Savlian. Oh, and what better way to access one of the Countess' dinner parties? Dame Buffy? My giggle was cut short as I thought of Mazoga and how much it would mean to her to become recognized as a real knight.

I approached the waiting orc and told her of the Count's offer.

"Gods' ghoulies, Buffy! A Knight Errant? That's better than a free knight, right?" After I nodded, she continued, "Real knights! You and me. I know this Black Brugo. He and his henchmen swing by a nearby ruin called Telepe every night around midnight. Gives orcs a bad name. Let's take him out for the Count!"

This post has been edited by Acadian: Dec 31 2010, 06:54 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 31 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #59

Ancient
Group Icon

"Gods' ghoulies, Buffy! A Knight Errant?

I love that line !!! It says it all, and is SOOOO Mazoga !!! Another Great Chapter - and the friendship is warming up now! Great Write !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 31 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

Do I suspect that the fearful work of swords is coming next?

As his fingers came to rest on the grip of an elven daggar, the weapon responded with a faint glimmer of magic. This was an excellent description!

Buffy's use of destruction on the arrow to remove it by disintegrating it was especially creative. Much better than snapping it in half and pushing the head all the way through!

Buffy's healing was a good touch as well, with the way she could feel Mazoga's old wounds as well as new, physical and emotional. I see you have really worked on tweaking that since your first ideas back in the BF 1.0. This is a vast improvement. (I did something similar with a character from another fic who was a gifted healer. She could sense injuries in people simply by touching them).

My so much to like in his segment. Next we see Buffy summon Superian to her without actually summoning her. That was also quite good. The lock of Superian's mane makes this work. Likewise, the mare's disomfort at what she found at Fisherman's Rock was well-written. Once again, we see Superian is not a conveyance, but a character.

I think I see a new wardrobe option for Buffy too!

I always knew Buffy was a swell dame. Now it looks like that will soon be true in more ways than one!

nits:
Starring at the back of the Khajiit,
Looks like Mazoga put an extra "r" in staring.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 31 2010, 06:51 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:32 PM