Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 4, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
TheOtherRick
post Mar 13 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #21

Finder
Group Icon

As it is with Maxical, so it is with Buffy. I am a very late joiner to these wonderful stories. While all of you are enjoying Chapter 86, I am still way back at Chapter 13. blink.gif So I hope you all won't mind reminiscing when I post my comments...

Ch. 11 - Cave archery 101. I would say that Buffy passes with flying colors!
"Thank you, Buffy! Thank you so much! But you don't look like a mage."

Again, the 'don't look like a mage' stuff! I shouldered the bow, lifted my chin and planted both hands on my hips. "Would you like to wait for someone who looks like a mage?"

Absolutely priceless! So easy to picture Buffy here. And Erthor's non-stop babbling during the walk out was equally amusing.

Ch. 12 - Buffy veers from the MQ in this very poignant discovery of the fate of Kvatch and introduction to Savlian Matius. Great write!

Ch. 13 - I agree whole-heartedly with the comments of the time. The way you described Anvil was wonderful. I especially agree with h.e.rider and Olen about going into this unarmed. Looking forward to the outcome.

@ Acadian -
Rick- Thanks! I post an 'executive summary' at the beginning of each new thread, summarizing the contents of the previous thread. Feel free to take a peek at those, then just jump right in with us. If you have a touch more time, you might also skim the 'in our previous episode' comments I make to open each post. Buffy might have some sort of a rudimentary plot buried somewhere around here - perhaps hidden at the bottom of her disorganized pack - but really it's more like a long running TV show. C'mon in!

I actually considered doing what you suggest, but I would miss so much! It would be like watching the last season of 'Lost' after reading a synopsis of the previous seasons. So as long as it is okay, I would rather catch up in the way that I am, and post "history review" comments. Real life restricts my reading time, but I promise to catch up with you all ASAP. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

The Talendor Chronicles is my first fan fiction attempt.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 13 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already.

As usual I very much enjoyed this update. I hope Daenlin didn't arrive too early at Buffy's home because Aravi's bringing in some stuff to sell!

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 14 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #23

Mouth
Group Icon

I had in mind this long, eloquent post in which I made profound and illuminated points about all that I have spent this weekend reading (all from Chapter 62, pg.3 of the last thread, thankyouverymuch). I planned to beguile you with insightful comments on the nature of friendship, love, loyalty, and trust. But all I can come up with is Acadian TALKS now??!!! blink.gif And the Tournament has begun without me??!! I have been away too long! As wonderfully enjoyable as ever, my friend.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 15 2011, 02:31 AM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

What a lovely knight for a quiet dinner!

"A quest?" Daenlin paused, the piece of boar on his fork halfway between plate and mouth. "Nothing dangerous I hope?"

What? Does he think she uses her bow Slayer to pick flowers?! laugh.gif

"Do you love this man?"

Daenlin really gets to the point!! I like him. smile.gif

Daenlin nodded. "Didn't I hear about some rogue mage that was killed up in Chorrol some time ago?"

Maybe Buffy heard about that when she was in Chorrol on her, uh, goldenrod picking expedition. whistling.gif

I had no idea if it was possible to escape from inside an Oblivion Gate as it closed; however, that was not a thought that needed to be shared with the dear elf who cared and worried about me so much.

The fact that Buffy is even considering going in there shows just how deeply she cares. And not for the Empire.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 15 2011, 03:11 AM
Post #25

Mouth
Group Icon

Ahh, boar. Wild pork. I prefer to roast mine on a clove of garlic with rosemary and thyme, along with a drizzling of virgin olive oil. 400*F for about 15 to 20 minutes, and you get a succulent, moist chop worth every bite. Great with cranberries, too! wink.gif

Daenlin nodded. "Didn't I hear about some rogue mage that was killed up in Chorrol some time ago?"

I sputtered some of my wine before I could lean over and grab a napkin from the table.

"Are you all right?" asked Daenlin as he started thumping a hand against my back.
Oh boy... this might not turn out well if Daenlin finds out exactly how she died.

Nice, relaxed chapter here that lets us take stock of the most recent musings of our blond bravilian butterfly, as well as reinforces her motivation for her deeds at Kvatch. Buffy would be most unhappy if Savlian were to die, I'm quite sure.

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
Ceidwad
post Mar 15 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #26

Evoker

'Knights Arcana'? A thoughtful concept. It's a pity there was no such private Arch-Mage's bodyguard in the actual game. I must admit, it was rather disappointing to have risen all the way to the top of the Mages' Guild, only to discover I had only one Apprentice at my disposal.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 16 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #27

Paladin
Group Icon

In our last episode, Buffy prepared and shared a quiet meal with Daenlin. Topics at dinner between the two elves included Savlian, butterflies, knights and mages.

SubRosa- Oh my. I hope Simiplicia and Daenlin never get together to compare notes on their respective twig-children! laugh.gif It was previous conversations between you and I that inspired Daenlin to ask if there was a conflict between being a knight and being in the guild of mages. A very reasonable question that caused us to think it through. Thank you.

Rider- I agree with you about the Knight Arcana! I'm so glad you enjoy the BF Daenlin. Ya know how there are just some NPCs that are special? I figure Varel Morvayn is one of those 'precious' characters in JF. Your presentation of him will always flavor my view of him - and in a wonderful way. Thank you.

mALX- Thank you so much for those kind words. Yup, there are plenty of people in Bravil that are like family to Buffy.

Zalphon- Our blond micro-knight enjoys a couple of benefits from being a Dame. One is improved access to nobles. She never would have been able to arrange for an able sergeant/second in command for Savlian without her title. Secondly is her precious friend Sir Mazoga. Thanks!

Rick- Thank you for your kind words as you bravely continue catching up with us! After the tourney, I promise to slow our pace some. With so many stories posting so quickly, I think that will be a prudent improvement.

King Coin- Thank you! One of the wonderful things about Bravil is the midnight shopping! Just see Nordinor in the alley next to Nilawen's. That should help lighten Aravi's pack and fill her coin purse. Then she can peruse Daenlin's wares in the morning!

Destri- Magnificently dedicated job catching up on so many stories. Buffy has several godfathers and you, my friend, are certainly among them! Yes, Acadian talks! Both his and Superian's roles are expanded in 2.0 as you can see, and the telepathy limitation was a touch too limiting. We thought Dagail was the perfect way to help expand the voice in Buffy's head.

Grits- Now you see why we identified so strongly and were so impressed that Jerric was willing to close that gate even when he figured he might not survive. Buffy doesn't have the stones that Jerric has of course, but you sure nailed her motivation about that gate! Thank you for highlighting that.

Thomas Kaira- Yum! You're making me hungry talking about roast pork! Thank you for the kind words. We really do enjoy it when Buffy sits down for a one on one conversation with a friend. At least she managed to keep her nightshade and wisp stalks out of the roast. tongue.gif

Ceidwad- Yes! A Knight Arcana ranging across Tamriel in the service of her guild would certainly be a fine aspiration for Buffy. Perhaps that will give ghastley an idea for a mod! I agree that the Arch Mage job does seem like a let down to those who achieve it. Thanks!

87 The Tournament of Archers, Part 3- Having a Spot of Trouble?

I heard the whisper of a spell being cast, and opened my eyes to find myself engulfed in a haze of emerald magic. Panicking, I tried to jump from my bed but neither arms nor legs would respond. A looming face framed by a black hood filled my vision. The cold, gray and emotionless eyes of Lucien Lachance looked down at me.

Waking with a cry, I realized it was a dream and that I wasn't paralyzed. In fact, my hands were shaking as I rose from my bed. Chilled to the bone, I donned a doeskin fur robe and stirred the embers in my fireplace to life with a fresh log. Sitting close to the fire, I tried to absorb its heat as I briskly rubbed my shoulders.

"Why did I just dream about the Dark Brotherhood?" I said as much for my own benefit as for Acadian's. "My killing is not for hire. That dream was likely just a load of imp chips caused by allowing Daenlin to pour me a third goblet of Tamika's last night."

No, that wasn't quite true.

I was pretty sure what had prompted the dream. Since meeting the dangerous-looking elf, Aradroth, I had been trying to place what it was about him that seemed familiar. Now I knew. His gray eyes held the same hard coldness as those of Lucien Lachance.

It was almost dawn, so I filled my kettle and started heating water for tea. "Acadian, did you feel my dream?"

"Of course I did," he replied. "You made the right choice back at the Inn of Ill Omen."

I nodded. "You're right. I almost killed Rufio. Indeed, had I known the poor girl who was his victim, I likely would have been swept into the Dark Brotherhood. I'm guessing Aradroth chose differently than I." I picked up my looking glass and peered into it, wondering if my eyes would have grown cold like those of Lucien and Aradroth had my choice been different. I then reached for a brush and began pulling it through my hair. "I know Lucien talked about a loving family of dark brothers and sisters, but I have to believe that kind of life must be lonely." Filling my tea cup, I added, "The way Aradroth presents himself, I bet he doesn't have very many friends. I turned down his dinner invitation because he frightens me, but I must try to overcome that and make him feel welcome in Bravil."

"Caution might be in order here," warned the paladin.

"I know," I heaved a sigh and tugged on a set of buckskin greaves, "but remember when I first saw Mazoga? Sometimes you just have to reach out, even if you're scared."

While I pulled on my boots, I could feel Acadian pondering my words. Finally, he replied, "And sometimes you are wiser than I."

"Stop it, you'll make me cry." I stood, dropped my robe and slipped on a brown blouse. After finishing the warm tea, I grabbed my bow and quiver, then stepped outside.

The sun was up now and I was surprised by the bustling level of activity that was not present the day prior. Strangers were everywhere. I was intercepted on my way to the Mages Guild, right after crossing the foot bridge connecting the two halves of the city.

"Gentle lady! Just a few septims and one of these banners can be yours." The wandering vendor held up a small green flag depicting a crossed bow and quiver. "See how the staff of the banner is an arrow?" The vendor flashed a broken-toothed grin. "Wave this for your favorite bowman at the tournament. I only have a few left."

"Oh, no thank you." I returned his smile then continued toward my guild, cheerfully trailing words behind me, "I wouldn't want to take one of your last banners."

The guildhall was a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle. It seemed not many mages were interested in traveling to Bravil to see archers shoot.

I found Kud-Ei and Ardaline seated at the dining table sharing tea and a plate of freshly sliced fruit that had been lightly sprinkled with ground cinnamon.

"Welcome home, Buffy." Kud-Ei's orange eyes sparkled over her tea cup.

I wrapped one arm around the Argonian's neck and playfully nudged Ardaline's shoulder with the other hand before grabbing a strawberry. "My, the town is certainly busy getting ready for the tourney."

"Yes," said Kud-Ei. "I hear the inns are almost full. Probably every bed in Bravil will be taken before long. I would not be surprised if the inns of Faregyl, Ill Omen and even Pell's Gate fill up with visitors. Hmph, shooting sticks at bunches of straw." She looked at the bow on my back and added, "No offense to you of course, dear." I had learned to read the smiles of Argonians by watching their eyes. Kud-Ei's smile clouded now as she said, "You look distracted, child. What is it?"

Removing Slayer and my quiver, I plopped into the seat next to Kud-Ei, then accepted a cup of tea from Ardaline. "What do you ladies know of this elf, Aradroth?"

Kud-Ei's eyes opened wide. "Buffy, do not tell me you are smitten by him!"

My eyes flew open as wide as Kud-Ei's. "By Mara, no!"

Ardaline giggled. "But he's just your size, Buffy!"

"He's not at all attractive you know," I huffed, "and he certainly isn't very nice. In fact he's kind of frightening. Do you know anything about him? Is he skilled with magic?"

"He has caused no trouble since his arrival in Bravil." Kud-Ei set down her cup and shook her head. "He paid for instruction in a couple basic illusion spells but, well, let us just say he is a Bosmer who lacks the aptitude for magic you inherited from your Breton father."

Ardaline chimed in, "I gather from Nilawen, that Aradroth spends more time skulking around dangerous holes in the ground surrounding the Niben than practicing magic. Oh, and he's often drinking ale with Nordinor when I visit The Fair Deal."

"Thank you both," I said as I stood. "It's so good to be home! I'm going to spend the next couple hours soaking in the guild's tub and just pampering myself from head to toe."

Exiting the guild by late morning, I made my way among the vendors, visitors, hopeful contestants and even the odd noble. All of this, of course, passing under the scrutiny of pickpockets and the quiet practitioners of Bravil's black market undercurrent.

Stopping by the stables, I barely recognized the approach to my city. Brightly colored banners draped our 'Welcome to Bravil' sign. Bare-chested men were busily setting up target frames and building large seating structures as they sweated under a warm sun. On the ground laid rolled up tarps that would soon shade both the judges table and the seating area for nobles.

I looked forward to my archery master, Daenlin, winning the tourney again. My little town, which was part of the very forest and river itself, could then return to its peaceful and overlooked beauty.

While saddling Superian, I spoke with Antoine. "Do you expect a large influx of horses for the tournament?"

"Not as many as you might think, Buffy." The Breton stable hand ably assisted getting Superian ready to ride. "It takes money for horses, and most of them wealthy noble types don't care so much for archery. Nope, they like jousting and the heavy stuff. You know, armored swordfighters and even lancers." He smiled reassuringly. "Don't you worry none. I'll make sure your mare's care don't suffer."

Superian was high stepping and bouncing her head as I led her from the stables. She settled only slightly once I was in the saddle. There were a fair number of people coming into Bravil from the north and we kept to one side of the Green Road. The mare's snorting and prancing encouraged travelers to seek the other side of the road. As we continued, we met fewer people until we were almost alone.

"I know you're full of energy, girl. As soon as we pass this one traveler ahead, I'll slip on my detect life rings and you can run."

The lone Khajiit cheerfully returned my smile as he approached. Suddenly, and with the cat-like quickness his race is known for, he crossed the road, grabbed Superian's reins and pressed the tip of a dagger just below my left breast. "Your gold or your life."

I could feel Superian's fear and uncertainty as it mirrored my own. If she sidestepped into the Khajiit to knock him down or tried to charge forward, the dagger would find its way between my ribs. Sensing my will, she stood motionless. If I could somehow get to the ground, I could cast a spell to immobilize this robber and bring Slayer to bear. "I do have some gold, and I will surrender it to you for safe passage. Please, I implore you not to hurt my mare or I."

The Khajiit grinned, revealing a mouthful of sharp teeth that matched the yellow color of his threatening eyes. "A wise choice."

"My coin purse is buried deeply in my pack." I looked down at the dagger still pressed against me. "Will you permit me to dismount that I may retrieve it?"

The Khajiit appeared to ponder my request for a moment. "This one will allow it, but only if you make no sudden moves and stay on this side of the hors-"

Suddenly, his head was snapped back and sideways as if something had grabbed the back of his mane. A dagger, wielded by a black-gloved hand, flashed from behind the Khajiit and buried the full length of its blade under the highwayman's chin. The yellow feline eyes remained open, staring at the sky and frozen in death.

As the cat sank to the ground, standing behind him was a small elf dressed in black.

Gray eyes looked up at me. "G'day, Buffy. Having a spot of trouble?"

Superian was ready to bolt, but I did not ask it of her. Instead, I sat stunned in the saddle and stared at my rescuer.

Given the speed with which Aradroth had struck, and my own lack of quick response, the Bosmer would have had plenty of time to take Superian's reins and replace the highwayman's dagger with his own against my ribs. But he didn't; rather, he unhurriedly pulled free the blade that had delivered instant death by piercing the Khajiit's brain and wiped it clean. He then slid his dagger into the inverted sheath strapped to the chest of his black raiment and deftly secured it with a thumb strap.

I could see feathered tails and the ear of a bow protruding above his shoulders which were draped in the same traveling cloak he wore when I met him the day prior. The beautiful hilt of an elven short sword rose from a scabbard riding at his right hip. He lifted a hand and swept back the black hood, revealing his brown tousled mop of unkempt hair and Bosmeri ears.

Slowly recovering from my shock over the whole episode, I warily slid to the ground where at least I could cast spells. Superian lowered her long nose to the dead Khajiit, snorted and took a step away. Finally, I found my voice, "Do you make a habit of rescuing damsels in distress?"

"Surely I don't. Had you gotten your feet to the ground, I have no doubt it would have been your magic that claimed this feral cat's mind instead of my blade. I simply needed the practice and hope to earn your favor."

"Well, Superian and I thank you. I'm not wealthy, but you are welcome to the gold that I carry. I hope it will be sufficient for your brave efforts?"

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Count Lauriel
post Mar 16 2011, 01:33 PM
Post #28

Retainer

Fantastic! Simply fantastic as always.

I must confess however, that I need to catch up with Buffy's story, and many others on here due to my prolonged absence. Rest assured that I'll be reading, even if I'm 18967182745 chapters behind everyone else ;P

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 16 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

And Aradroth appears again!

What a beautiful start to the day! I loved the description of the festive air that so clashes with my recollections of the ramshackle town on the Niben. The contrast between that and the memories of Buffy's encounter with Lachance. To be honest, after I played through the DB questline a couple of times, I decided that having the fastest and only immortal horse in all of Cyrodiil wasn't worth the murders I had to accomplish to get there. Guess I'm too principled. So I avoid getting that nighttime visit from everyone's favorite Listener (or is it Speaker?) by reloading an earlier save every time I see that message Your killing has been noted by forces unknown . . .

Such a contrast between Aradroth's dark nature and Buffy's sunny one. Yet she isn't the dim-witted blonde that she seems to be. Yes, she's aware of his deadly propensities, but at the same time she won't ostracize him for his choices either. But for the grace of Mara go I - seems to be her thinking, and I for one approve of it!

Oh, and @ Count Lauriel: you're not alone! Don't worry, these stories will hang around until you're caught up! We all know how RL can be a bear sometimes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 16 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

Aradroth to the rescue !!! I love the changes you've made to this chapter !!! Great dream sequence, did Acadian plant that so she would realize the danger she stood in with her new acquaintence? Awesome Write!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 16 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

That dream was likely just a load of imp chips
Ahh, the chips rear their ugly, erm, rears again!

Sometimes you just have to reach out, even if you're scared.
Is this perhaps a new addition to the Buffy Doctrine™?

I loved Buffy's small encounter with the huckster in the street! I wonder if they have giant foam hands and cheese heads? biggrin.gif

the quiet practitioners of Bravil's black market undercurrent.
Does this portend a future Ungarion sighting perhaps?

That last Khajiit was a very clever bandit, hiding in plain sight as he did. His surprise was as great as my own when he was stabbed through the neck and into the brain! That was expertly done (both by yourself and Aradroth...).

So now Buffy finds herself indebted to our unkempt Bosmer. Perhaps now she will take him up on that offer for dinner?

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 17 2011, 06:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 16 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #32

Mouth
Group Icon

That was a nice twist. You know how I like a good plot twist. biggrin.gif

See, didn't I tell you he wasn't all that bad? Even if he is a bit self-righteous, that was still noble of him. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 16 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

The Dark Brotherhood again. I'm so glad that Buffy didn't join them. Despite rescuing our favorite bowgirl from a clever khajiit, I still don't like Aradroth. Keep your eye on him, he's trying to get closer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 17 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

My little town, which was part of the very forest and river itself, could then return to its peaceful and overlooked beauty.

I have never thought of Bravil this way. Another eye-opening moment, courtesy of Buffy. smile.gif

Gray eyes looked up at me. "G'day, Buffy. Having a spot of trouble?"

*shiver* It is a testament to Buffy’s judgment that she remains wary of her rescuer.

"Surely I don't. Had you gotten your feet to the ground, I have no doubt it would have been your magic that claimed this feral cat's mind instead of my blade. I simply needed the practice and hope to earn your favor."

Sort of like passing the salt at the table. I mean, you could always get the salt yourself, but he’ll pass it to you if he’s closer. blink.gif I don’t think we’ll have to wonder about Aradroth’s motive for long, it sounds like he is just going to say it. What an exciting day, and it’s still morning!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 17 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #35

Mouth
Group Icon

The vendor flashed a buck-toothed grin. “Wave this for your favorite bowman at the tournament. I only have a few left.”

“Oh, no thank you.” I returned his smile and then continued toward my guild, cheerfully trailing words behind me, “I wouldn’t want to take one of your last banners.”

This is how assumption is the enemy of commerce! laugh.gif

Antoine’s comments about the dearth of horses and the reasons behind it are just another of those things that make reading Buffy’s adventures so worthwhile. Of course the nobility would prefer the joust! *facepalm*

After such a well timed rescue I guess Buffy has to have dinner with him now!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Mar 19 2011, 06:02 AM
Post #36

Knower
Group Icon

Oh no! I have missed the start of my favourite tournnnnyyy!!
That does it- Iam tellin’ RL to go to Oblivion....I need to start reading.

How lovely it is to see Aradroth make an appearance in the Buffy journal. As mALX would say- Woohoo!! I am always amazed how well you portray him, the lonely hunter of the Nibenay, and it is only the lovely juxtaposition that you create beside the homely and caring Buffy that leaves the story feeling very unsettled. Yet, at the same time a shadowy character is perfect to arise at the time of the tournament- Magnificent!!

The same feeling of ‘why is she talking to him?’ is still there (as in BF1.0) and I think that hits the spot. Even I find myself cringe!

“Ardaline's a dear sheila”
This made me laugh out loud. laugh.gif

We thought Dagail was the perfect way to help expand the voice in Buffy's head.
My thoughts exactly! It was a neat touch.

"Caution might be in order here," warned the paladin.
Lol. That reminds me of the man who thawed the snake out and when it bit him he cried, “Why did you do that?” The snake replied, “What did you expect me to do?”

Kud-Ei's eyes opened wide. "Buffy, do not tell me you are smitten by him!"

My eyes flew open as wide as Kud-Ei's. "By Mara, no!"

Ardaline giggled. "But he's just your size, Buffy!"

If I was an Aussie I would say that was a pearl, a bonza beauty!! No, wait- I am. laugh.gif

“Oh, and he's often drinking ale with Nordinor when I visit The Fair Deal.”
Scheming and planning a takeover of the realms, no doubt! biggrin.gif

"I do have some gold, and I will surrender it to you for safe passage. Please, I implore you not to hurt my mare or I."
For some reason I think that Khajiit has go no idea what he has walked into. Buffy is well and truly on top of the situation, even if the poor kitty doesn’t realize. I loved the new combat scene, and that line-

I simply needed the practice and hope to earn your favor.

is a gem. smile.gif

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 19 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #37

Paladin
Group Icon

In our previous episode, Buffy was awakened by a disturbing dream about the Dark Brotherhood. She surmised that the dangerous eyes and manner of the elf Aradroth had likely prompted the dream. After inquiring about him at her guild, Buffy went for a ride with Superian, only to be accosted by a highwayman and surprisingly rescued by Aradroth.

Count Lauriel- I'm so pleased to have you join us! I know there are many wonderful stories to keep up with. Once we approach the end of the tournament, I expect to slow our posting pace to better support the time demands on our readers. I was so delighted to see you bring Helena here! I recall the discussions between you, I and SubRosa as you were making your choices about creating your young Breton healer, and am humbled that you considered our input.

Rider- I remember your kind words from 1.0 regarding the festive/renaissance flavor we were trying to weave into the tourney. Thanks to your encouragement, we are trying to maintain or even enhance that in 2.0.

mALX- Thank you! I don't think the dream was an Acadian plant; rather I think it was triggered as Buffy subconsciously knew where she had seen the dangerous look in Aradroth's eyes before.

SubRosa- Yes, more SubRosa trademarked imp chips. tongue.gif Thanks for liking Buffy's little vendor encounter; sometimes it is the little random things in life that provide our memories. Since Aradroth's decisive strike worked, let me quickly credit the tactic to the wonderful lesson that Pappy gave Teresa regarding daggers. It was just perfect for this. Yes, it seems Buffy is now indebted to the scary elf.

Thomas Kaira- Thank you. I'm sure Buffy was more surprised by that unexpected rescue than anyone! Yes indeed, when you first met Aradroth, you offered him the benefit of the doubt. It's a little early to tell for sure, but I'm so pleased your instincts regarding Aradroth seem to be on the mark.

King Coin- Thanks, I too am glad that Buffy chose, at the Inn of Ill Omen, not to embark into the world of killing for hire. Faced with her dark rescuer, Buffy's head is spinning with emotions that include fear, nurturing, curiosity and reaching out.

Grits- Thank you! Yes, Buffy is an optimist. If she were locked in a room full of horse manure, she would excitedly search for the hidden pony. tongue.gif So, now we have a young, frightened optimist who no doubt feels indebted to her dark rescuer.

Destri- Thank you for enjoying the small touches (the banner merchant, Antoine's prediction on the stable business during the archery tournament). We freely surrender to Buffy's observations and smelling the nightshade as she dances along while straying on and off her path. More Aradroth coming up!

Wolf- I thank you so much for your kind words and allowing Aradroth to join Buffy's world in time for the tourney. He is a fascinating character. Is he dangerous? You bet. Does he have any elfinity (sort of like humanity) inside that raiment? Buffy's nurturing and meddlesome nature will likely force her to try and find out, prudence-be-darned. The paladin has already offered his warning but, like Daenlin, he realizes you can't hold on to a butterfly. One way or another, we will learn quite a bit more about Aradroth in this next episode.

88 The Tournament of Archers, Part 4- Do We Have an Understanding?

"Nay, keep your gold," said Aradroth. "That lesson on poisons we talked about at the Archers Paradox would be most welcome however. As you see, we stand at the trailhead leading to nearby Flooded Mine. I have a small day camp on the shore of the Niben there with quite the bonza view. Will you join me for lunch?"

Well, wandering into the woods with a stranger who could suddenly appear from nowhere and move faster than a cat didn't necessarily seem like the wisest of choices. Of course, I wasn't exactly known for wise choices. Hadn't I said only this morning that I wanted to reach out to Aradroth? Deferring his question, I posed my own, "Are you injured?" If I could establish a healing bond of white magic with this frightening elf, perhaps I could better assess his character.

"Not a scratch but I thank you for your concern," he replied.

So much for that idea. Normally, Superian's judgment about strangers was better than mine. I couldn't tell though if her current nervousness was due to the dead Khajiit at our feet, or the Bosmer in black waiting for an answer.

It seemed Aradroth noted my uncertainty, for he added with a touch of impatience, "Perhaps 'tis I who should be leery. I have no doubt that your magicks could turn me into a fine fat rabbit like the one in my tucker bag. The very one I was planning to roast over my cook fire and am now willing to share with you."

I smiled at the image of Aradroth as a little bunny cloaked in black. I had indeed promised to discuss poisons with him. Oh for Mara's sake, Buffy! If he wanted to hurt you, he could have easily done so right after killing that Khajiit. "Forgive my lack of graciousness. Lead on, my rescuer."

With a paralyze spell not far from my hand, we walked the short trail toward the Niben. Once away from the body of the highwayman, I paid careful attention to Superian. She was quite relaxed now, even nosing Aradroth curiously. The elf responded with a couple of gentle pats to her shoulder.

My mare's take on Aradroth was reassuring and, by the time we arrived at the day camp, I felt much more at ease. Aradroth stirred his campfire to life as he added some wood. After freeing himself of bow, quiver, sword belt and cloak, he knelt by the fire and set about skinning and spitting the rabbit he had pulled from what he called his tucker bag.

I watched the elf as I removed Superian's tack. Without the black cloak, his raiment revealed quite the cute little butt. My mare pawed the water with a front hoof and swung her head toward me. "No, girl. If I cast a spell for you to run atop the water without me along to monitor its duration, you'll be mighty upset when you have to swim back to shore from the middle of the river." With a snort, she whirled and contented herself to run along the sandy beach. "Don't you flash that tail at me," I called after her.

Shortly, Aradroth and I were seated on opposite sides of the campfire sharing roasted rabbit.

"I truly am grateful for your intervention today." Shaking my head as he offered a bottle of ale, I added, "I'm sorry if I seem uncomfortable around you."

"I get that a lot," he replied.

I watched Superian for a few moments. Her need to run sated for now, she grazed calmly by the river's edge. "We both know why you make people uncomfortable."

"Whatever do you mean?" said Aradroth.

I pointed at the inverted sheath strapped to his chest - the one restraining the weapon that had instantly killed a highwayman. "That's a beautiful dagger. I used to have one just like it." I studied his face. "It was called the Blade of Woe, and given to me by a man named Lucien Lachance. He had the same cold look in his eyes that I see in yours." One gray eye briefly twitched almost imperceptibly. His thin lips parted to speak.

I held up a hand to preclude his answer, and continued, "Your eyes have just admitted what I suspect your words will not. I travel successfully in many circles because I know how to keep the secrets of others. Had I not stayed my bowstring against Lucien's request, I would have been your dark sister. Rather, I have a whole town that is my loving family. Many of them have darker natures, but that does not preclude my friendship. I offer you the same, as long as you mean no harm to my family."

The slate gray eyes gazed out across the Niben. "I choose to live in Bravil," he finally said. "The town offers the services and discretion that I require. Your family is not in danger from me. An imp does not defecate in its own cave."

"Thank you, Aradroth."

"And what of you, Buffy? I recall the passion as you began to discuss poisons yesterday at the Mages Guild. And your arrow selections from Daenlin - rather specialized, yes? I see the lithe agility in your movements, the quality of your equipment. If you note me for a killer, it is because it takes one to know one."

Defiantly, I returned the hard stare of his challenge and said, "I have learned to survive in a harsh land, and I lay no claim to moral high ground. Killing with my bow is exhilarating, and I do not apologize for that. When my friends are threatened, I freely admit to rage, vengeance and even cruelty."

My boldness could not stand against his piercing gaze. I lowered my eyes and softened my tone. "I-I simply do not kill innocent people, and my killing is not for hire. Aradroth, I'm sorry you feel no kindness. I hope someday that will change for you." I lifted my water bag in a toast. "Here's to a lot more understanding of each other than we had an hour ago."

"Indeed." After returning my 'toast' with a sip of ale, Aradroth set the bottle on the ground then rubbed his hands over the fire. "Now, might I prevail upon you to show me something green and a bit more deadly than the stuff Ardaline might cook up?"

I took a long pull from my water bag, then said, "Well, I believe I owe that much to the elf who has both saved and fed me today."

Pulling my pack closer, I began rummaging. From the protection of my alchemy bag, I produced a mortar, pestle and the other tools of poison making. My hand returned to my pack several more times for ingredients.

Buffy?

I paused, to stare at the fire. Barely nodding, I acknowledged the paladin's silent voice in my head.

Are you sure that enabling an assassin with sophisticated poisons is wise?

It seemed that the only interests Aradroth and I shared were lethal ones. Yet. . . I wanted him to continue opening up to me. I had seen glimmers that perhaps he was not as dark as he seemed. Acadian was right though. I smiled, and winked at the flames.

I said to Aradroth, "I'm going to show you a glimpse of what could be possible for you." I laid out five ingredients, one of them in a small leather pouch.

Aradroth moved around the fire and sat next to me. "Five? I thought four ingred-"

Placing a finger to the Bosmer's lips, I interrupted, "Don't think, just watch." I broke up a length of spiddal stick into my mortar, then dropped in a blob of congealed putrescence. After placing a root of harrada into the mixture, I sprinkled in some frost salts that I had purchased at the University. "Now, here's the tricky part. The harrada was only to coax the frost salts into the poison; we call that a catalyst. I can now easily take it out." I removed the brown root. "See? The other three items stay in there just fine. Now, we add a secret ingredient, some water and mix."

I did not tell Aradroth that the powder I added from the leather pouch was vampire dust; nor did I tell him that commonly found gall of imp would work as well as the congealed putrescence that could only be found on the nearby mysterious island in Niben Bay.

When I finished refining the concoction through one alchemy apparatus after another, I poured the resulting thick liquid into a vial and inserted a small cork. I then rose to my feet so I could allow magic to fill my hand. Lightly touching a fingertip to the side of the vial, a small symbol grew from the glass which would help identify its contents. After sitting back down, I said, "This poison will prevent spellcasting, deplete health, and cause both fire and frost damage. It's very light weight and is quite lethal - particularly against strong opponents that can cast spells."

The bored look was gone from Aradroth's eyes. "I see now that I sit at the hand of a master. Tell me, what are the two unfamiliar ingredients?"

Ignoring his question, I said, "Consider how much evil there is that needs to be destroyed. You don't have to be part of it." The gentleness in my voice surprised me. "This poison works just as well on necromancers and vampire battlemages as it does against innocent men or mer. You think of Bravil as your home and you don't kill innocent Bravilians. I hope that one day that you can think of all Cyrodiil as your home." I placed the poison into one of the outer compartments of my pack. "When you do, I will share more secrets with you."

Aradroth sighed. "Nilawen says similar things when she overhears Nordinor and I talking. She too is convinced I have a heart."

I was unsure if I had touched that heart or not. Regardless, the mood became awkward and I changed the subject. "Let's talk archery, Aradroth. Are you any good?"

The elf cocked his head. "Well, I can hold my own, but because I split focus between blade, bow and trying to learn the odd spell, I'm no expert. Why?"

"Will you enter the tournament with me? It means so much to Daenlin to have competition." Trying to keep the mood light, I contorted my face into the best pout I could muster. "Please?"

"Very well," Aradroth held up a hand in mock surrender, "besides, I rather like Daenlin."

"Wonderful!" After a grin, I added , "May the best Bosmer win. Tell me, what kind of enchantment is on your bow?"

"I use a demoralize effect. Let a victim run away full of poison I say, or even alternate between two enemies and keep them dancing in fear."

"That's brilliant, Aradroth," I replied.

He looked at my bow on the ground next to us. "And yours?"

"Slayer will totally but briefly drain an enemy's speed. The enchantment makes my target ignore both me and the snap of my bowstring for a moment. I can usually remain hidden after shooting. It also delivers shock damage and helps capture the magical energy of my foes.

"Quite impressive." After tapping one finger against his chin for a moment, he asked, "Say, Buffy, you know that you can reduce the sound of your bowstring, right?"

My mouth fell open and I stared at him. Aradroth gently lifted my lower jaw closed. He actually gave me a thin smile before continuing, "Can you see the tassels on my bowstring?" He stood, offering a hand to help me to my feet. "Grab your bow."

A few moments later, I held Slayer and we were standing at the river's edge.

Aradroth pointed. "Shoot out across the water and listen to your bowstring."

Obediently, I loosed an arrow. THWACK! "So?"

Aradroth took Slayer. I watched carefully as he fitted two small yarn tassels, one approximately a hand's width from each end of the bowstring. "Here, try it now."

I did so and and the result was a noticeably softer 'thwick'. "Aradroth! That is quiet. How?"

"Well, they tell me it has something to do with helping to equalize the speed at which the different parts of the bowstring snap home, but I make no pretense of understanding. I just know it works, as you can hear." I was surprised that, for once, his smile included those gray eyes. "Buffy, I know I make people uncomfortable, yet you have offered your hand in kindness. I will not forget that."

This post has been edited by Acadian: Mar 21 2011, 03:33 AM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 19 2011, 02:29 PM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

A whole chapter devoted to the Dark Wolf Aradroth !!! WOO HOO !!!! Buffy's Reform School For Assassins - "When you stop killing, I'll show you how to do it right !!!" I absolutely LOVE Buffy's Buffiness in this one, and glad to see it warmed some of the ice off Aradroth as well !!! I think she was safer in her own home in town for this meeting (as in the original) - but this flowed naturally from his rescue of her so perfectly !!! And I think by showing Aradroth her own capability, hinting that there was much more she wasn't telling - and the power of her own equipment VS his - she more or less assured her own safety.

Acadian slipping in via the campfire - Loved it !!!! AWESOME CHAPTER !!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 19 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 19 2011, 07:41 AM) *

An imp does not defecate in its own cave."

lol. Aravi has found that they DO in fact defecate in their own caves.

I'm beginning to warm up to Aradroth. This was a much needed chapter. Well done!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 19 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #40

Mouth
Group Icon

Buffy's on a date! With Aradroth! tongue.gif

That was fun. They both learned something new (well, maybe only Buffy), and we see cold gray eyes finally beginning to warm. Maybe next time, Buffy should share her hair conditioner recipe with him?

I have no doubt that your magicks could turn me into a fine fat rabbit like the one in my tucker bag.
Or perhaps a chicken?

If you note me for a killer, it is because it takes one to know one.
How very true.

Nit:

I have a small day camp on the shore of the Niben there with quite the bonza view {.} Will you join me for lunch?
Your period here went AWOL.

--------------------
+Quote Post

21 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:39 PM