Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More from Todd, And he's trying to remove confusion!
Captain Hammer
post Jul 8 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

Gamasutra posted this interview they had with Todd Howard regarding stuff about Skyrim and Bethesda.

Overall, the majority of the interview seems to cover Bethesda's environment and approach to gameplay. For those interested in how a company makes video games, it might hold some interest.

For those of us just waiting to out-shout a dragon (and secretly hoping Brian Blessed will lend his voice to modders), Todd does take the time to explain the changes in the skill system. I find myself drifting towards the "this isn't such a bad idea" camp and away from "great, the things that made Oblivion worse than Morrowind are getting even crappier now."

I say this, because I must admit to being one of the players Todd talks about. My first characters in Morrowind and Oblivion were, respectively, a failed Dunmer Agent and a mediocre Redguard Ranger. In both games I, like other players, realized that I wasn't playing the character that I wanted to play, and instead tried to play the character that seemed effective to play. Ironically, my death was a repeat occurrence since I ended up trying to brute-force my way through the game when my characters required a lot more finesse to survive.

Am I 100% excited about these changes? No. But then again, for each previous Elder Scrolls game, I've adapted my play style to the game's mechanics and the relative advantages of the character customization process. Everything I've read so far indicates that Skyrim seeks to be more dynamic in its approach, and that the branching skill trees and custom quests will facilitate any particular play-style I choose without making one strategy a game-breaker and the rest various levels of decreasing awesome-potential (even though I do dearly love being the game-breaker once I know I'm the one doing the breaking).

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 8 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

I try to go into any game I get with no expectations because if you have your mind made up how the game should be then you will be disappointed. I'm excited for Skyrim because I loved both Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Oh and that was a good interview. It's always interesting to see what's going on behind the curtain.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 11 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #3

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I've got pretty much no interest in Skyrim now. After all that I've heard its just not going to be my kind of game.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:46 AM