Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ESO tips & tricks, Looking for help with ESO? This is the right thread for you!
hazmick
post Sep 18 2016, 04:31 AM
Post #61

Mouth
Group Icon

Haa-Rei uses that healing morph for it too - so handy!

Glad to hear that Buffy's problem was fixed quickly.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 18 2016, 04:54 AM
Post #62

Councilor
Group Icon

Lildereth is also a fan of Draining Shot. She misses having it on her bar while she is still leveling.

Great to hear that Zenimax was so responsive, and I'm glad that Buffy and Calia could turn the accident into a chance to get together! happy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 23 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #63

Paladin
Group Icon

So what do folks think about attribute distribution?

I've no idea if we're doing things right but this is the thinking for Buffy:
Every level up attribute point goes into stamina. Given her weapon and skills, this produces impressive damage.
She seeks gear that has +health. After all, health 'resists all'.
Her natural magicka with no boost at all is plenty to power Spike and the few actual magicka skills she uses.

Part of me wonders if going with pure health for attribute points and gear for stamina would be better for two possible reasons.
1. Health gets bigger gains per attribute point than the other attributes.
2. The concept would allow a character to switch from a stamina build to a magicka build by changing gear and skills instead of having to also respec attributes.

Or. . . is some combo of allocating attribute points better?

I'm not so much asking for Buffy's case specifically, but wondering what type of thinking others with more experience have found to be helpful.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 23 2016, 10:25 PM
Post #64

Mouth
Group Icon

If Buffy's set up works for you and Buffy, then I'd say that that's doing it right.

Personally I have everything in stamina - attribute points and enchantments - for Haa-Rei. We also use provisioning to give us a little boost (to both health and stamina). We're currently in the middle of getting new gear sets so the enchantments might change to boost anything that feels off. We spend all our time in the CP160 zones and have no problems with any regular enemies or delve bosses.

With Ciri I have more of a mix, since I'm still experimenting with the Templar skills. For every 5 points we put into the magicka attribute, we put 1 into health. I'm not sure how effective this is yet, and I'll have to wait until she has maximum available attribute points to see for sure. She's only level 21 so it won't make much of a difference for a while yet.

My opinion is that it all depends on your class. The only classes that really need health are tanks, and even then they don't need that much extra. I'd say it's better to invest in either magicka or stamina (not both) and put that into some good buff/shield/healing skills.

EDIT: Champion Points and gear sets can also change things up a lot so it's always worth looking into all that.

This post has been edited by hazmick: Sep 23 2016, 10:26 PM

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 23 2016, 11:55 PM
Post #65

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks, hazmick. That is encouraging news so I'll keep doing generally what we're doing for now. Buffy is level 38 and doing very well as long as she doesn't charge into things.

Oh, once you reach level 50, how do attribute points accrue? The stuff I read on that seems a bit vague.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Sep 23 2016, 11:56 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 24 2016, 01:18 AM
Post #66

Master
Group Icon

Why oh why can't I find a damn carrot to save my eyes??

Julian has had a provisioning writ since forever because she needs to make carrot soup. Yet we've been all over Glenumbra and a good chunk of Stormhaven searching every damn crate and barrel and have yet to find any. Mazul has had no luck, too - she helped earlier by collecting blessed thistle for Julian. But no go this time. Ugh!

I miss being able to buy the ingredients from the merchants!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 24 2016, 01:37 AM
Post #67

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 23 2016, 05:00 PM) *

So what do folks think about attribute distribution?

I've no idea if we're doing things right but this is the thinking for Buffy:
Every level up attribute point goes into stamina. Given her weapon and skills, this produces impressive damage.
She seeks gear that has +health. After all, health 'resists all'.
Her natural magicka with no boost at all is plenty to power Spike and the few actual magicka skills she uses.

Part of me wonders if going with pure health for attribute points and gear for stamina would be better for two possible reasons.
1. Health gets bigger gains per attribute point than the other attributes.
2. The concept would allow a character to switch from a stamina build to a magicka build by changing gear and skills instead of having to also respec attributes.

Or. . . is some combo of allocating attribute points better?

I'm not so much asking for Buffy's case specifically, but wondering what type of thinking others with more experience have found to be helpful.

I've wondered A LOT about the best way to distribute these, and couldn't ever flgure out a good solution (so ended up bringing them all up pretty much evenly; though my stamina missed a few upgrades.

Can you go into more detail about what you said here? (Bold above)

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 24 2016, 01:44 AM
Post #68

Mouth
Group Icon

Acadian - Not too sure about the way attribute points work with the Champion Point system. Haa-Rei got to max level under the old Veteran Rank system which gave an Attribute point with every veteran rank (there were 16 vet ranks). I assume you get 1 point per 10 Champion points now.

It all makes sense once you get to level 50 though.

Haute - You can buy some ingredients from provisioners. Not sure if they'll have carrots but it might be worth a try.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 24 2016, 01:52 AM
Post #69

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Sep 23 2016, 08:18 PM) *

Why oh why can't I find a damn carrot to save my eyes??

Julian has had a provisioning writ since forever because she needs to make carrot soup. Yet we've been all over Glenumbra and a good chunk of Stormhaven searching every damn crate and barrel and have yet to find any. Mazul has had no luck, too - she helped earlier by collecting blessed thistle for Julian. But no go this time. Ugh!

I miss being able to buy the ingredients from the merchants!

I had trouble finding the carrot soup recipe! (I finally found it, lol).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 24 2016, 02:26 AM
Post #70

Paladin
Group Icon

MALX, on the attribute points - If you put a level up point into stam or mag you get an increase of 111 respectively. If you put that same point into health, you get an increase of 121. UESPwiki says this, I see it in game when I level up and someone on the ESO forum was talking about the theoretical advantage of points into health and using gear for your stam/mag.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 24 2016, 02:29 AM
Post #71

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 23 2016, 09:26 PM) *

MALX, on the attribute points - If you put a level up point into stam or mag you get an increase of 111 respectively. If you put that same point into health, you get an increase of 121. UESPwiki says this, I see it in game when I level up and someone on the ESO forum was talking about the theoretical advantage of points into health and using gear for your stam/mag.

Wow, I never knew about that!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 24 2016, 03:52 AM
Post #72

Paladin
Group Icon

I just checked in game as Buffy leveled up. A point in stam or mag would give her +111. A point in health shows it would give her +122. They must have upped it by one at some point.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 24 2016, 04:08 PM
Post #73

Councilor
Group Icon

haute, I wish we were on the same server. Jerric would send a whole crate of carrots! You can buy them from the NPC grocer vendors, they are something like 150 gold (!!).

Acadian, I have had the most success with all attribute points into stamina or magicka for my DPS/solo characters. The balance for healer and tank roles is still a mystery to me.

In my 'second generation' group of characters I have put all points into either stamina or magicka depending on their focus, and none of them has ever died (yet). The characters I have had the most trouble getting through some solo quest content with are Jerric and Lil, both of whom have attribute points assigned in health and magicka as well as stamina.

I am still experimenting, but so far in my experience making the character strong in their damage attribute (magicka or stamina) and using enchantments and food/drink to boost what they need at in their current situation has worked best for me. (None of my second gen group has used Jerric's Champion Points yet, because they have not needed them.)

With Jerric I have found that when fighting the huge world bosses with multiple other players (not "Grouped" with them, just whoever shows up to the fight) he has enough health to survive most of the weird boss damage effects when he gets caught in them, but he sometimes can't deal enough damage to get loot from the boss. As far as I can tell you have to deal at least 10% of the damage, otherwise no loot. In those cases other players are doing more damage faster than he does. (This will change to 3% in the next update, which is great news for tanks and healers.) This makes me think that he would be better off with more points into stamina for base damage, then add either more damage with stamina gear or more defense with health gear, depending on the situation.

Under the current leveling system you get attribute points when you level up only through level 50. On some level-ups you get more than one attribute point. I forget exactly which ones, but it brings you to the same total that everyone got by leveling to Veteran 160 under the previous system. So when you are level 50 you are finished "leveling" and you will have all of the attribute points that you will get. (You can still get more skill points through quests, Skyshards, and some Alliance War thing.)

After level 50 you earn Champion Points to spend on various passives in the CP constellations. The CP system is awesome and allows very specific character development. That could be a whole thread unto itself! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 24 2016, 04:50 PM
Post #74

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks very much, Grits. That is encouraging to realize that Buffy's intuitive approach of heavy stamina for damage may be wise after all. We have the numbers for damage done on so we can see her damage floating off foes with each hit and she does crank out some pretty impressive numbers (I think) for her level.

Gosh, baby Buffy's up to level 39 already and still doing well. She explores and quests quite methodically so always seems to be ~5 levels above the recommended levels for the quests she gets. There is just so much to do that by the time she gets to everything she is a bit overleveled. I have to think that is sort of self-correcting since if you are too high a level you will get less xp I guess.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 24 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #75

Councilor
Group Icon

Acadian, exactly. You will always get xp for completing quests, but the xp you get for killing lower level foes will drop by certain percentages as you out-level them.

For example if Buffy helps close the dolman that's right outside Vulkhel Guard while she's at level 39, she will not get a loot chest or xp for killing the level 7ish daedra there but she will get xp for closing the dolmen. Also the lower-level daedra she kills will still count toward various achievements, even though she did not get xp for killing them.

The bad thing about being slightly over-leveled is the loot you get is a bit low for you. Not a problem if you are crafting your own gear.

This will all change with the next update. That's why I'm so excited for it. Jerric will be able to go back through the whole world and fight things again. No more "wasted" areas where everything dies in one hit and treasure is useless to you. viking.gif

Congrats on Buffy's growth! I think the high-stamina/high-damage approach is as close to a glass cannon as you can get and still survive walking around in ESO-world. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 24 2016, 05:43 PM
Post #76

Master
Group Icon

Ever since Julian hit I think it was Level 15 we've been getting random Daedra and Daedric monsters dropping out of some miniature portal in the sky. Usually we fight two or three waves, then the mini-portal disappears. We're out on our own with no one else around. It's almost like it's a challenge from the Daedric princes . . .

Has anyone else had this experience?

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Sep 24 2016, 05:44 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 24 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #77

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks, Grits.

Rider - Yes, they are called Dark Fissures and are as you you describe them. Here is a bit more detail from the UESPwiki:

'A Dark Fissure in Elder Scrolls Online is a small version of a Dark Anchor that appear at set locations in the world with a difficulty level intended for solo completion. Three enemies may spawn when you approach the fissure's location. If you defeat these three then two more enemies will spawn, one of them being a higher difficulty level. Defeating these two will reward you with a small amount of experience points. Typically you will also find a superior or epic item as loot from one of the enemies.'

Buffy has good luck with them because she keeps her distance as she kills the first (easier) wave, then immediately crouches and backs away a bit. That way she can surprise the second wave instead of having them drop on her head. tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 24 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #78

Master
Group Icon

Thanks Acadian! Also for sharing Buffy's tactics.

That's pretty much what Julian and Mazul have been doing. Of course, Julian has also discovered that if you ignore it long enough, they go away. mellow.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 26 2016, 02:23 AM
Post #79

Master
Group Icon

So after reading all the discussions about attribute points, Mazul and I decided to focus our points on Stamina for damage and Magicka for the spells she loves to use as Dragonknight, and use enchantments and food/drink buffs for Health.

That means we need to ask Julian (who is working on her enchanting skills) to craft some Health Glyphs for Mazul's new steel armor.

Mazul has asked a question: If she enchants a piece of armor, can she continue to improve it? Or is it done?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 26 2016, 03:07 AM
Post #80

Paladin
Group Icon

You can enchant over an enchanted item no problem. Just right click on it and select enchant.

A couple considerations:
1. Your old enchantment (glyph) will be destroyed.
2. You can't use a glyph that is higher level than the item you are enchanting. That is, you can't enchant a level 34 item with a level 35 glyph.

Edit:
Oops. I think I misunderstood you. Yes, you can improve an enchanted item at the workbench - like take if from blue to purple.

Two questions of my own:

1. Buffy is high stamina, low magicka. Is she gimping Spike the clannfear due her her relatively low magicka? Magicka makes magicka spells do more damage so is her lower magicka pool hurt his damage or durability?

2. Weapon damage. Any thoughts on which is generally more helpful between +weapon damage, +critical hit chance and +stamina (for stamina-based weapon users)?

This post has been edited by Acadian: Sep 26 2016, 03:08 AM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:17 AM