Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout 4 - spoiler version
mALX
post Nov 15 2015, 02:30 AM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Nov 14 2015, 07:20 PM) *

Any questline that involves you searching for someone is difficult to get right. If the player doesn't feel a connection with the person they're looking for, there's little to stop them getting distracted.

For example: I had a little side quest earlier where a member of my settlement had been kidnapped by raiders. I got right on it, suited up in my power armor and rescued the heck out of my armor shopkeeper. I cared about that guy, so I did the quest.

Oblivion's MQ also worked better because it didn't try and force a backstory onto your character. FO4 is just "You're a heterosexual, middle-class, American with a baby called Shaun. Go.". How am I supposed to identify with my character when I'm none of those things?

As for the humour aspect, I kind of get what you mean. I felt the same when Skyrim came out, like it was missing something that I loved about Oblivion.

Saying that though, I have found a crashed spaceship, complete with alien. My character welcomed him to the wasteland in the traditional fashion wink.gif

I agree with you on that you have to feel something to be inspired to embrace the story you are given; and I think that is the problem with this story.

You are dumped into the story; told who you are and who should mean something to you; and then the story moves forward at an accelerated rate and then expects you to jump on board without any reason you should other than being TOLD it is your child and wife.

You can't expect someone to care just because you told them "that is your spouse and child," you have to make them feel it inside before moving the story forward.

The Player is barely given a few minutes in front of a mirror with them saying stuff like "I like your hair like that..." touching a few objects in the house; spinning a crib mobile - the robot interrupts your thoughts constantly with his household chore talk; the banging at the door - there is no time to feel anything before you are raced to that vault.

I watched an interview with Todd Howard regarding that mirror facegen scene, and he was in ault over those voice lines while the Player is making the facegen on the characters. He felt like those spoken lines were solid gold during that face gen sequence; and that the Player would be bowled over by that and feel the connection between their character and the spouse deeply from those few spoken lines.

Well, it doesn't work that way from what I've seen and heard from players. And you are right about Emil. He has done some really interesting questlines, but they are not universally accepted as believable or endearing, which is what is needed if you want someone to care about a character quickly.

These guys have worked together so long that they think alike; and maybe that is the problem because there is no outsider's viewpoint on whether X will be believable enough to endear a person fast enough for them to care about Y enough to go to great lengths to save them.

It is too bad, because in "The Last of Us" had me bawling over the death of the protagonist's child and the fear he wouldn't care about what happened to Ellie - all in the same amount of time it took Bethesda to kidnap Shaun.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Nov 15 2015, 02:36 AM
Post #22

Knower
Group Icon

I enjoyed the ghouls in Fallout 3. Man, the sounds they would make in the train tunnels or indoor gave me many a sleepless night. The combat is better in this one though. The ghouls are awesome when they charge.

So for me it is a bit of both.

You must go through many boxes of tissues, mALX. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 15 2015, 02:52 AM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 14 2015, 08:36 PM) *

You must go through many boxes of tissues, mALX. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif No, I use what is known as "Tennessee Tissue" - I rub my eyes/tears on my sleeve, rollinglaugh.gif

My X-husband that died in 2010 was worse, he used to cry over children's movies like Shrek, rollinglaugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 15 2015, 02:56 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Nov 15 2015, 08:04 AM
Post #24

Knower
Group Icon

Just started playing around with the 'follow the red path' quest. It is the start of the Railroad quest line. It is very cool as you have to make your way through the rubble and see where it leads. The only trouble was the number and strength of the enemies. Ha! I died a number of times before I decided that it would be a better idea to come back later. The down town Boston area is fun to explore, but the enemies are like L'Enfant Plaza- crazy!!!

Beat up some legendary Super Mutant and grabbed his chameleon piece of armor. It is helping with the sneaking around the down town area. Ha!

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 15 2015, 08:45 AM
Post #25

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Nov 15 2015, 01:20 AM) *

I'll have to disagree with you guys on the Ghouls. FO3 ghouls were so goofy and stupid. FO4's really give me the spooks.

You disagree with me!!?? YOU CANīT DO THAT!! I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE......!

Sorry. Thought I was on the official forums... biggrin.gif embarrased.gif

Oblivion's MQ also worked better because it didn't try and force a backstory onto your character. FO4 is just "You're a heterosexual, middle-class, American with a baby called Shaun. Go.". How am I supposed to identify with my character when I'm none of those things?

I am two of those things but I still donīt like the concept of a predetermined background. This is a Bethesda game and in my world that spells sandbox all the way, including my character. And I seriously donīt like the out-of-character-talking. It was fine in Deus Ex but again, this is a Beth game and to me it doesnīt fit. My character is mute, damnit!! tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Nov 15 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #26

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 15 2015, 07:45 AM) *

And I seriously donīt like the out-of-character-talking. It was fine in Deus Ex but again, this is a Beth game and to me it doesnīt fit. My character is mute, damnit!! tongue.gif

Yeah the voiced character thing really limits your options. If there were more voices then it might be better, but you've just got the one accent. Then when you choose your conversation options it's never clear what you're actually going to say. Most times the "Sarcastic" conversation option is just rude and unfunny.

-------

Got a bit further with The Minutemen. My character, Alice, helped to retake their fort and set up comms, so now the wasteland has a cool new radio station. Then she helped them set up some artillery that she can call in if she needs it. She'll probably never use it but it's nice to have the option happy.gif

We found a legendary something-or-other called 'Swan' which is sitting in a pond near Diamond City. Alice decided to leave it alone for now, at least until she knows what it is.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 15 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 15 2015, 02:04 AM) *

Just started playing around with the 'follow the red path' quest. It is the start of the Railroad quest line. It is very cool as you have to make your way through the rubble and see where it leads. The only trouble was the number and strength of the enemies. Ha! I died a number of times before I decided that it would be a better idea to come back later. The down town Boston area is fun to explore, but the enemies are like L'Enfant Plaza- crazy!!!

Beat up some legendary Super Mutant and grabbed his chameleon piece of armor. It is helping with the sneaking around the down town area. Ha!

Oh wow, do they have chameleon armor in this game? Awesome! I was surprised how long the combination lock was on that door into the underground railroad headquarters was till the guy making the vid spelled it out, lol. Then I was like, "DOH! Of course!"

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 15 2015, 02:45 AM) *

I am two of those things but I still donīt like the concept of a predetermined background. This is a Bethesda game and in my world that spells sandbox all the way, including my character. And I seriously donīt like the out-of-character-talking. It was fine in Deus Ex but again, this is a Beth game and to me it doesnīt fit. My character is mute, damnit!! tongue.gif

I didn't know you were an American! Or that you had a son named Shaun! laugh.gif

But yeah, the voice: the lack of choices makes you stuck with a "goody" character - even the sarcastic responses are so mild; no cursing, etc. So your character can't be evil and sound all Nancy Kerrigan; and you sure can't be Black, Hispanic, or Oriental and sound like that.

I think I proved in Oblivion that I don't mind a voiced character if it reflects my character's personalty correctly; but these voice files don't fit with my character at all, don't say the things she would.

If they can program the robot to call your character "F___Face;" then why can't my character curse when a lockpick breaks? The voices should not have been used to such an extent; or you should have had a choice of voices to pick through. OR - they could have taken the voices from BruceVayne's voice sets for Oblivion that were hugely popular so people could continue using the voice for their character that they were used to hearing on them.

(which I hope some modder does for us). Because none of my characters have ever had a middle American accent; they sound like they come from somewhere interesting.

QUOTE(hazmick @ Nov 15 2015, 08:17 AM) *

Got a bit further with The Minutemen. My character, Alice, helped to retake their fort and set up comms, so now the wasteland has a cool new radio station. Then she helped them set up some artillery that she can call in if she needs it. She'll probably never use it but it's nice to have the option happy.gif

We found a legendary something-or-other called 'Swan' which is sitting in a pond near Diamond City. Alice decided to leave it alone for now, at least until she knows what it is.

Those quests sound interesting! I know Swan is a boss fight with/for a unique weapon, but - don't know WHAT Swan is. Weird and ugly, and it reminded me of Sheldon Cooper's "Dogypus" mixture of man's best friend under water for the biosphere projects = sort of like a combo of a super mutant and duck maybe? Anyway, the weapon was cool, I do know what it is.

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 15 2015, 06:35 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 15 2015, 09:34 PM
Post #28

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 15 2015, 06:32 PM) *

I didn't know you were an American! Or that you had a son named Shaun! laugh.gif

rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

So the Muties are using chameleon armour? Cool smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 15 2015, 11:14 PM
Post #29

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Man, this guy sweet-talks the game so much I actually wanna get it! If the game came complete on disc I think I would laugh.gif tongue.gif

Itīs a seven minute presentation basically and even though I put it here it doesnīt actually have any real spoilers. Just a few words on what you can do in the game and what you can find.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 16 2015, 12:44 AM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 15 2015, 05:14 PM) *

Man, this guy sweet-talks the game so much I actually wanna get it! If the game came complete on disc I think I would laugh.gif tongue.gif

Itīs a seven minute presentation basically and even though I put it here it doesnīt actually have any real spoilers. Just a few words on what you can do in the game and what you can find.

laugh.gif He is most def excited!

Well, on the perks - one that is really seems to be taken a LOT by those in the vids I've been watching is the one that negates radioactivity in the water and gives the player the ability to swim underwater (waterbreathing).

All the games have had some apparatus for water breathing, but we still had to be careful of rads till now.

It kind of cancels out the whole nuclear wasteland idea when the water isn't radiated, it was kind of a disappointing change to me. Making the game too easy; neutralizing the fallout. I didn't like the idea of making it so easy. Watching how much radiation you took in was major for roleplaying wasteland survival.

I don't plan to take that perk if I ever play the game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Nov 16 2015, 02:24 AM
Post #31

Knower
Group Icon

The chameleon armor is great. Because the game uses a layered system I have only found a piece for my right leg. Lol. The chameleon enchantment only works when I am in sneak and not moving, otherwise I am visible. It is still quite handy when I take that first sneak attack, as the enemy has less chance to spot me as long as I do not move. But when they do find me, quick get outta there!

I found my first Hunting rifle last night. Wow, it is much better than the one in FO3. It uses 308 bullets and does around 40 damage. Yeah baby!!

Some pics for you folks. The first one has a big quest spoiler. Do not click if you are worried about such things.

Look who is here

The others are a look at some of the settlement building in the game

S1

S2

S3

S4

S5

S6

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 16 2015, 02:31 AM
Post #32

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 15 2015, 08:24 PM) *

The chameleon armor is great. Because the game uses a layered system I have only found a piece for my right leg. Lol. The chameleon enchantment only works when I am in sneak and not moving, otherwise I am visible. It is still quite handy when I take that first sneak attack, as the enemy has less chance to spot me as long as I do not move. But when they do find me, quick get outta there!

I found my first Hunting rifle last night. Wow, it is much better than the one in FO3. It uses 308 bullets and does around 40 damage. Yeah baby!!

Some pics for you folks. The first one has a big quest spoiler. Do not click if you are worried about such things.

Look who is here

S1

S2

S3

S4

S5

S6

So you were right about little Maxson grown up! He came out to be one tough mother, too!

I love the last one; S6 - now THAT is my type of place !!! WOO HOO !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Nov 16 2015, 02:47 AM
Post #33

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 16 2015, 01:24 AM) *

S1

S2

S3

S4

S5

S6

Holy molerats, your settlement looks fantastic! How many residents do you have?

I've got half of that area walled off, but I only have 17 residents so I don't need/want to expand more just yet. I also desperately need more steel, copper, and turret parts too.

----

Alice has been doing some Brotherhood of Steel stuff. She joined up and did some area clearance and tech hunting, then the big BoS airship appeared so she headed over there. Now she's got a shiny suit of BoS T-60 Power Armor to add to her collection.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 16 2015, 02:56 AM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Nov 15 2015, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 16 2015, 01:24 AM) *

S1

S2

S3

S4

S5

S6

Holy molerats, your settlement looks fantastic! How many residents do you have?

I've got half of that area walled off, but I only have 17 residents so I don't need/want to expand more just yet. I also desperately need more steel, copper, and turret parts too.

----

Alice has been doing some Brotherhood of Steel stuff. She joined up and did some area clearance and tech hunting, then the big BoS airship appeared so she headed over there. Now she's got a shiny suit of BoS T-60 Power Armor to add to her collection.

Wow, this place is Awesome !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Nov 16 2015, 02:59 AM
Post #35

Knower
Group Icon

Unfortunately I cannot take credit for that Sanctuary settlement. Those pics are what I found on the net but I thought it would give a good indication of how large you can build. The person who did design it said he spent 6 straight hours building it up.

I only have a small man cave on the top of the garage across the street. It feels great for a small design and have placed heaps of smaller items to give it a homely feel.

One day I will work out how to use OneDrive and take screen pics from my Xbox One. I am too lazy at the moment.

Ohh, Brotherhood airship. I haven't seen that yet (other than at the e3, of course).

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Nov 16 2015, 03:20 AM
Post #36

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 16 2015, 01:59 AM) *

Unfortunately I cannot take credit for that Sanctuary settlement. Those pics are what I found on the net but I thought it would give a good indication of how large you can build. The person who did design it said he spent 6 straight hours building it up.

I only have a small man cave on the top of the garage across the street. It feels great for a small design and have placed heaps of smaller items to give it a homely feel.

One day I will work out how to use OneDrive and take screen pics from my Xbox One. I am too lazy at the moment.

Ohh, Brotherhood airship. I haven't seen that yet (other than at the e3, of course).

I must have spent about 10 hours building my settlement, but resources are so hard to come by after a while that it goes really slowly. I'm just reclaiming the area one house at a time, expanding the walls a little bit whenever I can.

Not sure how you trigger the airship arrival. It appeared as I was leaving Kellogg's base during the MQ. You might have to have done some BoS quests beforehand.

---

Screenshots are easy peasy:

Take the screenshot
Exit the game and open 'Upload Studio'
Go to 'My captures'
Select the picture you want and press the button that used to be the start but on Xbox360 controllers
Select 'share' then 'OneDrive'
Open up OneDrive on your PC and the picture should be there
Upload it to imgur or whatever and there you have it: A screenshot. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 16 2015, 04:07 AM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Nov 15 2015, 09:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 16 2015, 01:59 AM) *

I must have spent about 10 hours building my settlement, but resources are so hard to come by after a while that it goes really slowly. I'm just reclaiming the area one house at a time, expanding the walls a little bit whenever I can.

Not sure how you trigger the airship arrival. It appeared as I was leaving Kellogg's base during the MQ. You might have to have done some BoS quests beforehand.

---

Take the screenshot
Exit the game and open 'Upload Studio'
Go to 'My captures'
Select the picture you want and press the button that used to be the start but on Xbox360 controllers
Select 'share' then 'OneDrive'
Open up OneDrive on your PC and the picture should be there
Upload it to imgur or whatever and there you have it: A screenshot. laugh.gif

Holy Cow! I don't know about the airship, but the helicopter transport you get a baton flare that you set off and it calls the helicoptor to your site. You can take it to any place on the map that you have already discovered; and from what I've heard it is via the Brotherhood that you get that backup.

(and from what I hear, they are also the ones that give you the jet packs).

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Nov 16 2015, 05:07 AM
Post #38

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 16 2015, 03:07 AM) *

Holy Cow! I don't know about the airship, but the helicopter transport you get a baton flare that you set off and it calls the helicoptor to your site. You can take it to any place on the map that you have already discovered; and from what I've heard it is via the Brotherhood that you get that backup.

(and from what I hear, they are also the ones that give you the jet packs).

Yeah I've got the Brotherhood's Vertibird smoke grenades, but I haven't used one yet. I've flown in Vertibirds a few times though, to and from the airship. When you first go there you fly over a fairly big distance and you get to use the minigun, which was fun.

I also have some goodies from The Minutemen - a flare gun which calls in reinforcements, and some smoke grenades used to call in artillery strikes. I always forget about them though so they just sit in my inventory.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 16 2015, 08:31 AM
Post #39

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Wolf - Love the S2 pic - pure Fallout feel! goodjob.gif

What do you guys think of the power armour now when itīs more like a vehicle?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Nov 16 2015, 09:01 AM
Post #40

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks for the help!

Is it still a double tap of the console button and then press Y for the screen pic?
I tried it offline but nothing happened, perhaps I need to be online. After all that would make sense. Lol.

I loved the airship pic. Those boys in power armor love showing off!

and some smoke grenades used to call in artillery strikes

Wow, that sounds epic. I haven't even touched any BOS. In fact I haven't even seen them yet. I am too busy cleaning the raiders out of downtown. Had an amazing shootout in Combat Zone before. Dogmeat has been tossed for Cait now. She is as quiet as a church mouse compared to old Dogmeat. His nails clicking on the floorboards was so loud I couldn't concentrate. laugh.gif My Irish lass is running around with a serrated Chinese sword. Lookout muties.

Thanks Mirocu. The game looks so cool in those shots.

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:00 PM