6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> All Things Fallout, A Non Game Specific Discussion Thread
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 21 2020, 02:11 AM
Post #41

Ancient
Group Icon

Ok, so I guess I’m going to start this Astoundingly Awesome Tales project. I’m currently getting the details of my story organized in my head and I’ll probably start writing it in the next few days, with a tentative release around Halloween or early in November. I’m hoping to have some accompanying pics from Fallout4 as well!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 29 2020, 03:32 PM
Post #42

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 20 2020, 09:11 PM) *

Ok, so I guess I’m going to start this Astoundingly Awesome Tales project. I’m currently getting the details of my story organized in my head and I’ll probably start writing it in the next few days, with a tentative release around Halloween or early in November. I’m hoping to have some accompanying pics from Fallout4 as well!

Sweet. I hope you wrote some of this. Halloween is Saturday, my birthday Sunday. cake.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 29 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 10 2020, 06:44 PM) *

Power seems to be nuclear, so that is mostly covered. But even that has issues. Such as what do you do with all the leftover waste? Maybe dispose of it next to the water filters? Or just dump it in the water supply? ?

Imagination has to come into place in any of these RPGs. smile.gif They can't portray every detail, and this is also true for Elder Scrolls Online, for which there is no one set *release date*. So in the vault there's no filters being changed or radiation being moved out because Beth can't cover every last detail.

I imagine there are some teams who do get to leave the Vaults on occasion. To go scouting for supplies, for instance. Make repairs, and so on. These missions are kept secret from the others, of course.

And what about overpopulation?

Oh, it'd be like China. One child per family, or else.

There's a sci-fi series called The 100 in which a bunch of people live on a space station miles above Earth, roughly 100 years after nuclear wars. The population on this station is somewhere around 3,000, and they routinely look for excuses to "float" people into space (having more than one child is a crime, punishable by floating).

I imagine something like this might commence in the Vault. Not that they're eager to execute folks, but if somebody has been deemed let's say a criminal, they might force this person to leave.

... of course, maybe I'm stepping all over lore once again. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Mar 12 2021, 02:06 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 30 2020, 01:04 AM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 29 2020, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 20 2020, 09:11 PM) *

Sweet. I hope you wrote some of this. Halloween is Saturday, my birthday Sunday. cake.gif

Lol, nope. I’ve got nothing. It’s been a crazy month.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Nov 26 2020, 02:20 AM
Post #45

Mouth
Group Icon

I returned to Fallout 3 and 4 in the past few days, upping the ante in difficulty. I had already set Fallout 3 to be harder before I stopped playing, and returning to it now, it might be the most compelling gameplay I've had in the game. I ran out of stimpaks twice and had to tread lightly in enemy areas, with numerous close calls with Talon Company, Deathclaws, and Yao Guais, among others. I made a large loop around most of the northern part of the map, starting from the very edge of D.C. (near Friendship Heights, I think), going through Vault 108 (haha, Gary!) and cutting through several satellite arrays, among other places. I ended at Megaton, not wanting to just simply fast travel. I'm not going to completely eschew fast travel, but I want to greatly limit it as part of the experience.

In the case of Fallout 4, yes, I started Survival Mode. Even though its Survival Mode, there are a few annoying, unfair aspects that really bug me. You can't use the console at all--which I get to an extent, but now I can't make nice screenshots. There is supposed to be a way to go into the game files to enable it and still play Survival, but partly out of laziness and partly out of worry of messing something up I haven't tried doing it. The other major annoyance is that stimpaks heal soooooooooo sloooooowwwwllllllyyyyy. I have had to cower behind cover several times after getting hit because you have to be really quick about defending yourself, since the stimpaks heal at the speed of molasses right now. AND when you are low enough on health, you get a big pop-up that really breaks the flow of things and usually stops you from reacting sufficiently. I hope it doesn't keep doing that. Lastly, the hunger and thirst seems to have too much randomness for when you need to eat or drink. One time, not even 10 seconds after I quenched my thirst, I suddenly became parched. There's different levels of hunger and thirst, but it often just goes straight to the most dire level of each.

HOWEVER, all that being said, I'm actually quite enjoying Survival Mode in Fallout 4. It definitely feels like you are just scraping by and there have been some memorable, compelling gameplay moments already. I made a new character named Sandra for it. I'll detail more about my adventures later.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 26 2020, 02:30 AM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Nov 25 2020, 07:20 PM) *

I returned to Fallout 3 and 4 in the past few days, upping the ante in difficulty. I had already set Fallout 3 to be harder before I stopped playing, and returning to it now, it might be the most compelling gameplay I've had in the game. I ran out of stimpaks twice and had to tread lightly in enemy areas, with numerous close calls with Talon Company, Deathclaws, and Yao Guais, among others. I made a large loop around most of the northern part of the map, starting from the very edge of D.C. (near Friendship Heights, I think), going through Vault 108 (haha, Gary!) and cutting through several satellite arrays, among other places. I ended at Megaton, not wanting to just simply fast travel. I'm not going to completely eschew fast travel, but I want to greatly limit it as part of the experience.

In the case of Fallout 4, yes, I started Survival Mode. Even though its Survival Mode, there are a few annoying, unfair aspects that really bug me. You can't use the console at all--which I get to an extent, but now I can't make nice screenshots. There is supposed to be a way to go into the game files to enable it and still play Survival, but partly out of laziness and partly out of worry of messing something up I haven't tried doing it. The other major annoyance is that stimpaks heal soooooooooo sloooooowwwwllllllyyyyy. I have had to cower behind cover several times after getting hit because you have to be really quick about defending yourself, since the stimpaks heal at the speed of molasses right now. AND when you are low enough on health, you get a big pop-up that really breaks the flow of things and usually stops you from reacting sufficiently. I hope it doesn't keep doing that. Lastly, the hunger and thirst seems to have too much randomness for when you need to eat or drink. One time, not even 10 seconds after I quenched my thirst, I suddenly became parched. There's different levels of hunger and thirst, but it often just goes straight to the most dire level of each.

HOWEVER, all that being said, I'm actually quite enjoying Survival Mode in Fallout 4. It definitely feels like you are just scraping by and there have been some memorable, compelling gameplay moments already. I made a new character named Sandra for it. I'll detail more about my adventures later.

I love survival difficulty in F4... with the Survival Options mod active. Gets rid of anything annoying that you don’t like about Survival difficulty. In a normal game, I usually turn off save only when using a bed because I think that is stupid. A Bethesda game should never limit your saves. There’s just too much that can go wrong with their janky programming. I also tone down the need to sleep as frequently just a bit because I felt it was waaay too frequent. Other than that, I pretty much leave it as is. Unless I’m playing a vampire. wink.gif

All that said, I don’t play F4 on any other difficulty.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Nov 26 2020, 02:33 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 26 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

You are brave, Rader. smile.gif Technically, it sounds like you are making the game as close to the way it'd be if this were truly Earth.

I use Easy difficulty on Xbox, and that is where my Difficulty slider stays! On PC I bump it up to whatever the default difficulty is, but I can only do this because Cho's got all his followers to help him along. Overall, I am better at Elder Scrolls than I am at Fallout. hehe.gif

Yes, no fast-traveling is my fave, that's the best way to get into the gameworld itself. I only use FT if some glitch messes things up (or I mess things up) and I have to go back and travel some distance which has already been traveled, or otherwise need to go back to a previous save. Sometimes I will RP that my character travels on something motorized, but that's rare.

I like the idea of Survival / Hardcore modes... in my PC games (or New Vegas/Xbox), food & drink & sleep always matter. But I have heard Fallout 4 goes waaaay too extreme about this. Wow, you can't use console commands like tfc? What the hell? mad.gif

Sounds like you are having fun overall. smile.gif All my Thanksgiving cooking is pretty much done, so I'm about to jump into New Vegas myself.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 7 2021, 07:59 PM
Post #48

Councilor
Group Icon

In Fallout 3 there is a song played by Three Dog / Galaxy News Radio called Let's Go Sunning. As I've probably noted in this thread, this is my favorite song of that station. So I was trying to find out who sings this song, but *wow*, nobody knows who she is. The song was written by a guy named Jack Shaindlin, but nobody knows who the gal who sings this song is.

But that's not all. This song was featured in a movie called The Garden of Eden. The movie had something to do with nudist colonies! blink.gif

Source.

Let's Go Sunning was originally a one shot song by an unknown singer for Garden of Eden, a film purporting to be a docudrama about the nudist lifestyle. Infamously this movie was the subject of a lawsuit which resulted in the US Supreme Court deciding that mere nudity is not obscene, thus paving the way to an entire subgenre of films exploiting this loophole, the end result of which were more mature films and later, more mature games such as Fallout 3.

Holy crap, Batman.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 7 2021, 10:18 PM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

Given the lyrics, it sure looks like it was written about nudism!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 8 2021, 01:08 AM
Post #50

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, I always wondered why she says "Let's get native". .... embarrased.gif Now we all know.

And ... Edit: now that I know all that stuff about naked people and legal loopholes and Supreme Court rulings it kinda ruins the simplistically happy theme of the song for me. It's sort of like watching old '50s shows on Nickelodeon. If you start doing research on some of those actors and how things really were back then ... unsure.gif Henry Weinstein x 10, basically, in some cases.

This post has been edited by Renee: Oct 8 2021, 01:07 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Oct 13 2021, 05:45 PM
Post #51

Master
Group Icon

lol, Steam randomly updated Fallout 3 to remove the Windows Live dependency thingy.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 16 2021, 03:13 PM
Post #52

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Oct 13 2021, 06:45 PM) *

lol, Steam randomly updated Fallout 3 to remove the Windows Live dependency thingy.

As Gary said; "..about 40 years late!"

tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Kane
post Apr 10 2022, 03:07 PM
Post #53

Master
Group Icon

The Mojave feels smaller than other Bethesda game worlds.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 10 2022, 03:21 PM
Post #54

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Apr 10 2022, 10:07 AM) *

The Mojave feels smaller than other Bethesda game worlds.

And I know why, too. It's because there are so many directions you can't go, yet.

In fact as you play the game Kane, you may notice that the world does eventually start feeling quite large. You'll see. Takes awhile to get to that point though, especially if you've never played Vegas. If you have played it before, just ignore me. tongue.gif I remember being new to NV back in 2018 or so, and at first it does seem rather small. But my opinion changed over time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Apr 15 2022, 07:00 PM
Post #55

Finder
Group Icon

NV's map is smaller, but it's quite dense. Thus, the place can feel big even if it's not.

Vegas is close enough for me to drive to in under a day, so I've visited most of the locations IRL. In 2018 I actually stopped at Goodsprings, which is a real place. The Pioneer Saloon is the RL version of the Prospector Saloon, and looks almost identical. Next to it is the Ghost Town Saloon which is chock full of Fallout memorabilia (including a big NCR flag). Goodsprings is about 20 minutes off the main road, so the folks who go there tend to be hikers, bikers, and FNV fans.

I do wonder how they're going to handle any future games set in the West. They'll have to come up with a canonical ending for NV, though I suppose they could set it somewhere far enough away that what happens is not immediately relevant. The Pacific Northwest is an option: Fallout 2's ending says that Arroyo becomes the center of another great power. Personally, I think the Shi are somewhat underserved by just being a part of the NCR, and would be more interesting as a rival maritime faction (maybe they control a handful of ports along the coast, and are sort of a protectorate of the NCR looking to get out from under its thumb).
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Apr 15 2022, 07:51 PM
Post #56

Master
Group Icon

I seem to read somewhere that Novac is a made-up town, right? No wonder, since the name is derived from Novac-acany, but I thought that it's at least based on some real life counterpart.

Also, is there really some prison close to Goodsprings (NCRCF)?

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Apr 15 2022, 07:56 PM
Post #57

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Apr 15 2022, 07:51 PM) *

I seem to read somewhere that Novac is a made-up town, right? No wonder, since the name is derived from Novac-acany, but I thought that it's at least based on some real life counterpart.

Also, is there really some prison close to Goodsprings (NCRCF)?

Novac is indeed made up. It does take some inspirations from real-world locations, most notably Cabazon, CA, which has a big T-rex (as well as a brontosaurus). Cabazon doesn't match Novac's location, though.

There actually used to be prison near Goodsprings (closer to Jean), called Southern Nevada Correctional. It closed back in 2000, however, and hasn't been re-opened.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 15 2022, 09:06 PM
Post #58

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Isn't Novac named from a broken No Vacancy sign of a pre-War motel?

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Apr 15 2022, 09:12 PM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

Yes, that's what I mentioned in my post, but there isn't any Novac as such in real life.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Kane
post Apr 15 2022, 11:14 PM
Post #60

Master
Group Icon

Anyone know of an unorthodox fix for the You'll Know When It Happens, Ranger Grant bug? Currently stuck there and I haven't been able to fix it with console commands.

The specific issue is that after he tells me to rest up before the President arrives, the screen fades out, and when it fades back in I'm stuck staring at him.

Edit: disregard. I'm an idiot. I had hit tdetect after wandering into an area overrun with deathclaws and then forgot to toggle it again.

This post has been edited by Kane: Apr 16 2022, 01:04 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:19 PM