Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Paper I Wrote for College
Mazuk
post Jun 19 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

Ok. I am not going to post the paper until I get the ok. It is 4 pages long typed double spaced. I wrote it on Morrowind for my english class. The title is What Makes Up a Good Computer Game. Now if this is not what should be for this post please let me know and I will not post it. It is rather long so I don't want to post unless it is ok, but I have noticed alot of good writers and would like to see what yall think.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 19 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Wise Woman
Group Icon

You must let us read it if we will have an opinion..so was it suuposed to be a link in your post? in that case it didn´t work..but I´d like to read your work!!!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mazuk
post Jun 19 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #3

Knower
Group Icon

Ok. But It is long. No wasn't a link just a name. Although I did think of that but just going to post in here.

What Makes Up a Good Computer Game

While walking through the woods in “Morrowind” I find myself lost and trying to find my way back to the trail. While walking I come across a trail and find the sign showing me which way to go. I have been playing games ever since I could hold a controller, playing Atari games to start off with, and then moving up as technology grew. After playing many types of games on many different gaming systems, I now also have a computer. Owning and playing many computer games for years have shown me how to determine what makes up a good computer game. Game play, storyline, and graphics are the 3 aspects that make up a good computer game.

The first aspect that makes up a good computer game is the game play. Game play is a challenge in “Morrowind” because you don’t know where you are going. When you start out, the map is completely black. As you walk around, you start to uncover the cities. Walking around the city to find objects, and finding your way around the game, you have to walk around to uncover all the areas of the game. For example, when you go out of a city you are in the woods. You walk through the woods going towards another city. While you are walking, you come upon signs, telling you which way to go, to get to each city. As you walk you have to look for signs to find your way. It is very easy in the game to get lost. When you are walking through the territory and you find yourself lost, you can use the world map to get back on the trail. By opening up the map you will see an arrow showing you where you are on the map. Once you see where you are, you can determine which direction you need to go. For example, you are lost in the woods and are trying to find Vivec, one of the cities. By looking at the arrow on the world map, you notice you’re nowhere near Vivec, but you are near Balmora. As you make your way into Balmora, you can use a local map to navigate through the city to find the trail which will lead you back to the woods. Finally, you are back on track and moving to your destination.

Another aspect that makes up a good computer game is the story line. Some games have multiple story lines like “Morrowind.” “Morrowind” is a role playing game with many different objects in the game to complete. For example, you have to perform an assignment to get into each guild. There are four main guilds that can be played during the game. Every guild has its own introduction and rules. To get into a guild you first have to show you can do what is expected of you. For example, one of the guilds in the game is the thieves’ guild. When you start off in the thieves’ guild, you have to find a certain person in the game and steal a jewel from them, right out from under them, without their knowing. After you have retrieved the object, you have to take it back and present it to the leader of the guild. After getting into the guild you get a different mission. Each time you complete a mission you can advance in your skills as a thief and move up in ranks in the guild. All of the guilds work in about in the same way for moving up in rank. Each guild requires a certain number of skills and missions that have to be completed for you to advance in rank. In the fighters’ guild, for example you are required to pass an initial test just like you have to do for the thieves’ guild. To get into the guild you have to show them that you have honor and valor. For example, to get into the fighters’ guild you have to first go over to some one’s house and dispose of rats in the house. After you have killed the rats, then you have to return to the fighters’ guild. After they have seen that you have completed that mission, then they allow you to join the guild. After joining the guild you can get orders for your next mission. As you complete each mission and you return to get your pay and retrieve your next mission, you can also request to move up in rank. You ask to advance in rank, if they determine that you have enough skills then you can advance to the next mission in the guild.

The final aspect that makes a good computer game is the graphics. “Morrowind” has the kind of graphics that give the impression that the player has entered a world of its own. In “Morrowind” there are many different characters that make up the world. The characters have their own skills and specials qualities about them. Each character has his own specialized class and birth sign. For example, the character I play in the game is the Dark Elf who has the stealth specialized class and whose birth sign is the tower. The Dark Elf is a dark-skinned, red-eyed character who has a powerful intellect with strong and agile physique. These characters are often superior warriors and sorcerers. The Dark Elves are noted for their ability to integrate the skills of a swordsmen, marksmen, and war wizards on the battlefield. The stealth specialized class gives the Dark Elf a better stealth standing for stealing things without anyone knowing. The Tower gives my character the power to unlock doors magically and detect things at a distance. Another aspect of the graphics is the settings of the game. The settings of the game make you feel that you are in the game. For example, as you walk through the woods, you see the grass move as if it was real, and the water ripples as if it was alive. When playing the game it rains and you can see it as if you were standing in the rain; you can hear the thunder and see lighting as you would in a real thunder storm. The buildings in the cities are structured as if they were real. You can open the doors of the buildings and walk in most all of the buildings; if you click on the door and it doesn’t open, then it means that it is locked. If a door is locked, you can pick it if nobody is around. After going into a building there are tables, stands, stairs, shelves, and beds that you will see. The tables have chests on them with objects in them, and the shelves also have objects on them. You can go up the stairs to find other rooms in the buildings that could have beds in them. The beds are where you can rest to restore your fatality or to cure your injuries. Each building has it own unique quality about it, especially depending on what the building is being used for. For instance, each building can be someone’s house, place of business, or a combination of both. The trader in “Morrowind,” for example lives in the building where he also conducts business.

Computer games all have many different qualities that make a good game. To find a good computer game you want to look for the three aspects that make up a good game: game play, story line and graphics. Game play, story line and graphics all play a very important role in making a good computer game. Each aspect has its own unique way of making the game stand out. Although, I sometimes get very aggravated about getting lost in the game, I find myself getting lost in playing “Morrowind” for hours because it has the three aspects that make up a good computer game.

Ok there it is... I know its long. Be nice and gentle to me. LOL
+Quote Post
Mazuk
post Jun 19 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #4

Knower
Group Icon

I have a few more things but will have to be looked at through links to get the effect of it.

Flyer This is a doc file so when you click on it just open it. Should work fine. Maybe.
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post Jun 19 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Long?? HA! You are so funny. Actually i think it was kind of short. But otherwise it was pretty well writing and I enjoyed it. You used this at school you say?
+Quote Post
Mazuk
post Jun 19 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #6

Knower
Group Icon

Yes it was my second essay paper. and the Flyer if you looked at that was for my Tech writing class. Actually you are right it isn't as long as I though it was.. humm.
+Quote Post
Rane
post Jun 20 2005, 01:57 PM
Post #7

Lurker
Group Icon

Ok, let's keep this topic clean, shall we?
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Jun 21 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Nice, I like it. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Zelda_Zealot
post Jun 21 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #9

Knower
Group Icon

Not to long until I might have to do something like that, (Going to collage next year.) it is very good too. Though it seems like you could break it up, since reading a paragrapgh 5 inches tall is kinda hard. Over all it is very good. :goodjob:

--------------------
The Sun and Moon transform day to night, but what transforms the mind?
The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.
+Quote Post
Mazuk
post Jun 21 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #10

Knower
Group Icon

Well, for an essay it is suppose to be 3 body paragraphs and intro and conclusion. So they have to be long and to what the teacher wanted. Other wise I would of split that up.
+Quote Post
Zelda_Zealot
post Jun 21 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

Oh, that makes since.

--------------------
The Sun and Moon transform day to night, but what transforms the mind?
The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 08:28 AM