Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Favourite tv series, what's your favourite?
mALX
post May 3 2016, 07:40 AM
Post #41

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ May 2 2016, 04:15 PM) *

"Powers long asleep are waking and moving through the land. I has seen them in his flames and, [censored], even with my own two eyes. The Lord of Light is real, and if he is real then all of it is real. Man once again faces the war for the dawn, which has been waged since time began. On one side is the Lord of Light, the heart of fire, the god of flame and shadow. Against him stands the Great Other, whose name may not be spoken. The lord of darkness, the soul of ice, the god of night and terror. According to prophecy, R'hllor's champion will be reborn.

Oh! Is this a quote from the book? Did you know the Author of the books has a blog where he posts "missing" chapters? Ones that he (for whatever reason) pulled from the books?

I'm going to find that blog!

This post has been edited by mALX: May 3 2016, 07:40 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post May 3 2016, 11:34 AM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

The last quote was from a video on the Game of Thrones DVDs the producers made. It talks about the lore in the series and its narrated by the actors who play the characters. We hear narration from Jon, Thoros, Stannis and even the Hound.

I think Robert Baratheon smacked Hodor in the head during a sparring session tongue.gif

Watch this video: https://youtu.be/3xaspBsfgRg

It more or less fuels the fire to the R+L=J theory!!

Has all the scenes.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 3 2016, 03:32 PM
Post #43

Ancient
Group Icon

On that video you posted the link to - did you read the full description below it? #5 (spoiler from the book) all but verifies you are right on the

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 3 2016, 10:57 PM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

Ok, here is a quote from the book; it is said by Jon Snow regarding his first impression on seeing Tyrion:

Of course, I am never right in these kind of things, laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: May 10 2016, 12:34 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 10 2016, 12:31 PM
Post #45

Ancient
Group Icon

DE =

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 10 2016, 01:43 PM
Post #46

Mouth
Group Icon

The only problem with using book references is that the TV show no longer follows the books, and is more of an alternate timeline, which means that the writers can pretty much do whatever they like with regards to characters. The TV show will go with whichever theory has the most action/violence and viewer interest.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 10 2016, 08:29 PM
Post #47

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ May 10 2016, 08:43 AM) *

The only problem with using book references is that the TV show no longer follows the books, and is more of an alternate timeline, which means that the writers can pretty much do whatever they like with regards to characters. The TV show will go with whichever theory has the most action/violence and viewer interest.

I wondered if GRRM would change what he was originally planning for the story based on what the TV series did or viewer input. I hope not; but then again - there has been a bit of a hue and cry over how the show is diverging from the script; especially in season 6.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 10 2016, 09:38 PM
Post #48

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ May 10 2016, 08:29 PM) *

I wondered if GRRM would change what he was originally planning for the story based on what the TV series did or viewer input. I hope not; but then again - there has been a bit of a hue and cry over how the show is diverging from the script; especially in season 6.

It'll be interesting to see what he does. Some TV show characters are still alive in the books, and some characters haven't been to certain places or done certain things, if they appeared at all.

There are two book characters in particular which I considered to be quite important, or at the very least to be rather interesting, which aren't in the TV show. Perhaps they'll make an appearance at a later time, or perhaps they're not as important as I thought.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 11 2016, 01:54 AM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ May 10 2016, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ May 10 2016, 08:29 PM) *

It'll be interesting to see what he does. Some TV show characters are still alive in the books, and some characters haven't been to certain places or done certain things, if they appeared at all.

There are two book characters in particular which I considered to be quite important, or at the very least to be rather interesting, which aren't in the TV show. Perhaps they'll make an appearance at a later time, or perhaps they're not as important as I thought.

I really wish he had finished the story before doing the movie, so he couldn't alter his plans for characters based on the TV show or audience reaction. I really would like to see his initial thoughts and plans.

But he has a blog that has two cut chapters in it - I am pretty sure they were chapters planned for the upcoming book that he scrapped based on the TV show, but couldn't stand to just throw out. I am dying to read them, haven't found them on his blog yet. (they are back a ways like more than a year; and there is much posting between times).

If I find them, I'll post links - if anyone else finds them, please post links. Most def want to read what he is throwing out.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 11 2016, 01:57 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post May 11 2016, 02:18 AM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

There are many people saying Tyrion will ride a dragon eventually. Being a trio of Jon, Dany and Tyrion hehe.

Of course those are outlandish theories, but some people do believe Tyrion shares Targaryen blood.

Only time will tell.

The show is past the books but the developers Dave and Dan know how the story ends. Much of what happens in the show is filler and not part of the book, but George R.R Martin sat down and told them how the story ends.

I read those chapters he released early. I think it was Theon and Arya's chapter.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: May 11 2016, 02:19 AM

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 11 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #51

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ May 10 2016, 09:18 PM) *

There are many people saying Tyrion will ride a dragon eventually. Being a trio of Jon, Dany and Tyrion hehe.

Of course those are outlandish theories, but some people do believe Tyrion shares Targaryen blood.

Only time will tell.

The show is past the books but the developers Dave and Dan know how the story ends. Much of what happens in the show is filler and not part of the book, but George R.R Martin sat down and told them how the story ends.

I read those chapters he released early. I think it was Theon and Arya's chapter.

Oh yeah, I have wondered all along if

This post has been edited by mALX: May 11 2016, 11:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post May 15 2016, 05:41 AM
Post #52

Knower
Group Icon

1. The Walking Dead
2. Orange is the New Black
3. The X-Files is definitely growing on me. I'm only on season 3 or 4 though.

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 15 2016, 05:59 AM
Post #53

Ancient
Group Icon

I don't really have one favorite. There are too many good ones, both old and new.

Of the oldies, Babylon 5 and Farscape are some of my most loved. Out of the more recent ones, I really liked The Clone Wars, and am loving Rebels. Turn has been good too, and so have the new Marvel tv shows. Daredevil has been good, and Jessica Jones is just fantastic.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 16 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

DE = WOO HOO! Your wish came true !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 16 2016, 05:20 PM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

HOLY CRAP! The scene with Dany !!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 16 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #56

Master
Group Icon

Remembered a few other favorite TV series.

From way back, the mini-series I Claudius. I've not seen it in decades and wonder how well it holds up today. I suspect quite well.

I'm no Trekkie, but make an exception for Star Trek: The Next Generation (as well as the movie Wrath of Khan).

On to GoT: Here's an video interview in which Martin discusses his then newly published supplementary book, The World of Fire and Ice, which I own. It ties in with the TV series in that he sometimes talks about the difference between the what things look like in the show as opposed to what they 'should' look like according to the books (or his imagination), with artwork from World... to illustrate the point.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 16 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #57

Paladin
Group Icon

Decrepit, I'm not a trekkie either. As much as I loved Leonard Nimoy/Spock, I disliked William Shatner/Kirk even more. Lol. Next Gen was indeed better. Can't go wrong with Patrick Stewart, whether playing Uriel Septim or Jean Luc Picard. And Picard's staff on the show complemented him nicely. Similar to Patrick Stewart, I have always loved Ricardo Montalban and was enthralled by his character Khan - enough so that I even managed to tolerate Kirk (played by a chubby has-been Shatner) for a couple hours. tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 16 2016, 07:42 PM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

I like me some Trek. My brother and I grew up watching the reruns of the original series back in the 70s. So we were both onboard with Next Gen when it came on. I lost interest in the Deep Space Slime and Voyager era. I did watch Star Trek: Enterprise, and liked it a lot. It slumps in the middle of the show with the Xindi season. But the final season is just pure awesome, showing the formation of the Federation, the genetic augmentations and how Dr. Noonian Sung turned to cybernetics, and the creation of the Klingon Fusion races. Plus the best Mirror Universe episodes of any Trek series.

Funny thing is, seeing the new JJ Abrams Star Trek movies has made me really appreciate William Shatner. The new Kirk played by that putz Chris Pine is just an idiotic a-hole. While I recall the Shat-Man's portraying Kirk as a man who took his responsibilities as captain very seriously. There was an episode where he literally lost his courage because of some alien intervention, and he didn't want the crew to see him that way, as it would detract from his authority as the Captain. He was also wily and clever enough not to fight a battle he could not win. He ran from the Gorn until he could build himself a makeshift cannon. And he pretended to surrender to Khan, all the while buying time so he could hack Khan's bridge controls. Where the Chris Pine Kirk picks a fight with half a dozen Federation security guys in a bar, and gets his ass kicked.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 16 2016, 07:42 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post May 16 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #59

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 15 2016, 05:59 AM) *

Of the oldies, Babylon 5 and Farscape are some of my most loved.

I love those series, they were bloody brilliant. Well, Babylon 5 was brilliant for the first four series. And Farscape just had so much going for it, for instance; Claudia Black biggrin.gif

As for Star Trek, gotta love The Next Generation, though I'm also rather fond of Deep Space Nine. I think they went a little over the top with Sisko(and a few other things from time to time) but have a more fixed setting made for a nice change of pace. Also. while Jake Sisko was about as annoying as Wesley Crusher, he didn't pop up quite so much, which is a point in DS9's favour.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 23 2016, 05:20 AM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

Hodor! verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:20 PM