> The Ice Warrior
redsrock
post Feb 7 2008, 05:07 AM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

The Ice Warrior

CHAPTER ONE

The horrifying, ear-piercing screams ran through the night, waking me up from my slumber. Upon hearing these dreadful noises I immediately rushed from my old wooden bed and entered the hallway of the fort. The others had already risen from their own cots and were brandishing their blades while running outside.

Come, Erick! The time is now! Prove your honor and your pride!

I heard someone yell those three sentences, but I couldn't make out who was talking. But I didn't have any time think. The enemy horde was on our doorsteps and I was not about to let my people down. After seeing the others rush out into the cold night, I sprinted back into my own room and lifted the lock off of my old oak wood-chest. Then I reached for my silver broadsword and ran out into the hall to join my comrades.

Outside the battle had already commenced, and the white-colored floor had by now been stained with the crimson blood of my friends...and my enemies. I ran, creaming at the top of my lungs as loud as I could. The enemy from the northeast had at last built up enough courage to attack us without surprise. I for one was not going to let this opportunity go to waste.

The untamed Nords had made their way through our defenses and were now in our camp. There were at least fifty of them; all running around setting to fire to anything they could find. Their dirty beards and hair flapped in the wind, along with the blizzard that was coming down from the dark sky.

The first enemy I came to face was a heavy-set warrior wielding an iron war axe and a dagger of the same material. The piece of scum roared at me and got into a defensive position as I charged towards him with my broadsword held high into the air. As I neared the man he swung his axe at me but I ducked just in time and tackled him to the cold floor. Snow splashed up into my eyes but I quickly wiped it away as I hacked at my adversary's face. Again and again I slashed at his face, even when I knew his death had already come and passed.

I was too crazed with wanting revenge; too distraught to even observe the other heavy warrior lumbering towards me with a giant wooden war-hammer. The weapon hit me square in the back and I instantly dropped my blade and fell to the white canvas. Then the warrior turned my body over and I was face to face with the enemy; the despicable Nordic warrior from the north...the Skaal!

The oaf of a Nord glared into my eyes with pure disgust. He hated me and I hated him. This story of revulsion between the Imperials and the Nords has lasted for many years. And this particular battle was only one of hundreds that was sure to follow.

Then the Nord opened his mouth and began to laugh insanely. Spit fell from his mouth and hit me in the forehead. I could smell the putrid stench that was his breath; but alas there was nothing I could do. He had my arms pinned to the ground. Then, a ball of green smoke came from the mouth. It formed into some kind of animal, though I couldn't tell what it was. Suddenly I heard a deep howl, and that's when everything went black and I snapped back into reality.

"Erick...Erick, wake up! Wake up, Erick!"

A dream....it was all a dream. I could have sworn it was real; the heat from the fires, the yells of the Nords, and the impact from the war-hammer...it was all so real to me. But, fortunately I was only dreaming, and now my roommate was trying desperately to rouse me up from my delusion.

"It was a dream, Erick...only a dream!"

Finally I sat straight up in my cot with my roommate's hand on my shoulder. Melvin, an Imperial soldier just as I, was looking into my eyes with a most concerned look about his hairy face.

"You don't look so good," he said, stroking his slick and thin black beard. Melvin had always been proud of his facial hair. He always kept it neat and tidy; which the ladies loved.

"I'll be fine. I just had another dream..."

I looked outside my window to see that it wasn't snowing the least bit, and there weren't any angry Nords running around with torches. Everything was peaceful for the time being

"More like a nightmare, Erick! I can't keep living with those screams, friend. Sooner or later I'll throw you in the hallway!"

I merely laughed it off, trying to forget what I saw. For the past several days I've had some of the most dreadful dreams ever imaginable. They all started out differently, but they all ended with the same green smoke and the same howl. It had really started to bug me and I had thought about seeing a mage about it.

But Melvin wasn't going to let me do such a thing. He figured the mages would think me insane. Such dreams were a sign of lunacy, you know. But I just couldn't help it. I wanted to know what they meant; if something was going to happen to me. I've talked with Melvin about it hundreds of times, but he doesn't seem to think anything is wrong. I wished I could feel the same way.

"So...was it the smoke again?"

"Yes."

"The howl as well?"

"Yes."

Melvin had jumped back into his bed by now, but when I told him it was the same dream, he turned around to meet my sweaty face.

"I know I've said this just a few seconds ago, but you look awful, Erick."

My friend's ‘kind' words weren't doing me any good. I couldn't keep living like this. At that very moment I told Melvin I was going to talk with the local mage first thing in the morning. He got out of bed and stretched his arms into the air.

"Where you going?" I asked him.

"Taking a piss, if that's okay with you," he said playfully walking out the door, closing it gently behind him.

I was lucky to have a friend like Melvin. I remember the first time I met him here in this desolate snowy island of Solstheim. It was three years ago then, just shortly after I had arrived from the mainland. Melvin was always the smartellic type. He never let anyone tell him something he didn't want to hear, but he was always one to voice his own opinion.

And you know what; I almost feel grateful for getting sent here to Fort Frostmoth. Sure, I'd be much more comfortable back in Caldera, stealing ebony again. But what good would that do me? By coming here and working my tail off I've become a better man and a better human being. No more thieving for me; my life as a criminal was over the moment I set foot on this island. Since then it's been a lot of hard work, but at least I can say I now have control over myself.

But Melvin...well, he's different story. Though he's stopped his skooma addiction, he's also still a heavy drinker. Mazte is his favorite and I could almost bet you a hundred septims there's a couple bottles of it under his bed right now. But at least he can control when he drinks. It's not like he does it in broad daylight. No, he's way smarter than that. If you ask me it's his intelligence that's allowed him to survive so far. Everyone has their own personal attribute that compliments themselves. Melvin's is his charm and intelligence, and mine is...well I'm not quite sure just yet.

Captain Falx Carius seems to be respectful for my hard-working nature, but that has only gotten me the title of "Captain's Pet" from the other soldiers. Of course, none of us are really soldiers. Everyone knows Fort Frostmoth is where all the trouble makers go to spend the rest of their lives working for the Empire. It's not really that much work if you ask me; a little bit of construction, a little bit of mining, and some other minor chores.

The life of a prisoner isn't so bad I guess, but I can still can't help but wonder if there's something else out there for me. I realize that my life as an inmate is eternal, but still...I've got a feeling something's about to happen. Something big...but I just don't know what; nor if it's good or bad.

"You still awake?"

Melvin had walked into the room and flopped onto his bed. It was likely a little after midnight, and I had awoken my friend from his sleep for the third night in a row.

"I'm sorry, Melvin. I'll...I'll wait on speaking to the mage if you want me to."

"Yes, I'm glad to hear it, my friend. Do NOT tell them about your dreams, Erick. It will only lead to more problems. They'll lock you up in a cell, and before you know it they'll throw you out into the wild. You wouldn't want that, would you?"

No, that didn't sound like a good life to me. Perhaps my dreams would fade away?

"Don't worry, I'll keep quiet."

Only time would tell.....

This post has been edited by redsrock: Feb 7 2008, 05:11 AM

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
redsrock   The Ice Warrior   Feb 7 2008, 05:07 AM
The Metal Mallet   Interesting start to this story. There appears to...   Feb 7 2008, 06:53 AM
Agent Griff   Hm, another Werewolf story? The signs are all ther...   Feb 7 2008, 03:54 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER TWO I went back to sleep shortly afterw...   Feb 8 2008, 04:11 PM
Agent Griff   Hm, you meant that Winona wanted to live in Chorro...   Feb 8 2008, 09:34 PM
redsrock   I'm not mad at, it onl;y helps me, right?   Feb 8 2008, 10:27 PM
The Metal Mallet   Things are developing nicely. Keep it up my frien...   Feb 9 2008, 07:48 AM
redsrock   I'm just sorry ch.2 was so boring.   Feb 9 2008, 03:35 PM
Steve   This story is turning out pretty well! Chapter...   Feb 9 2008, 05:20 PM
redsrock   Thanks for the comments, guys! CHAPTER THREE ...   Feb 11 2008, 03:36 AM
Agent Griff   Great update. You showed the conflict between the ...   Feb 11 2008, 09:35 AM
redsrock   Hah! Thanks, Griff.   Feb 11 2008, 03:36 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER FOUR “Come on Melvin, just forget it.” ...   Feb 16 2008, 03:24 PM
Agent Griff   Great follow-up to the conflict previously establi...   Feb 16 2008, 04:40 PM
redsrock   Well that's great! Sorry for the long upd...   Feb 16 2008, 05:03 PM
The Metal Mallet   An excellent update. As Griff mentioned, you use ...   Feb 16 2008, 10:35 PM
redsrock   Yeah, you're probably right. If something eve...   Feb 16 2008, 10:49 PM
jack cloudy   I started reading today and just couldn't stop...   Feb 16 2008, 11:17 PM
redsrock   Thanks, Jack. I've been working real hard on ...   Feb 17 2008, 12:09 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER FIVE Once Bruno was out of earshot Melv...   Feb 17 2008, 04:37 AM
The Metal Mallet   Well now, lots of interesting tidbits about some o...   Feb 17 2008, 10:53 PM
redsrock   Thanks, Metal. Glad you liked it...   Feb 18 2008, 03:42 AM
jack cloudy   Real smart, Melvin. Real smart. And what are you g...   Feb 18 2008, 10:16 PM
redsrock   lol, I've gotten that reaction of Melvin from ...   Feb 19 2008, 04:48 AM
LadySaira   Land of cold is bad, wolfmen worse. Prehaps miners...   Feb 19 2008, 04:27 PM
redsrock   A new reader? Thanks for your comments, LadySaira...   Feb 19 2008, 09:09 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER SIX I woke up abruptly, from yet anothe...   Mar 4 2008, 01:54 AM
Steve   AHH!!! The story continues. My compli...   Mar 4 2008, 02:53 AM
redsrock   Thanks a lot Steve, it's good to be back.   Mar 4 2008, 02:56 AM
The Metal Mallet   Here we go again with more escalation! Now th...   Mar 5 2008, 04:11 AM
redsrock   Yes it will.....I'm just debating on how messy...   Mar 5 2008, 04:21 AM
Steve   May I suggest spilling tomato sauce everywhere? Ye...   Mar 6 2008, 01:27 AM
Agent Griff   I hope that Bruno guy gets what's coming to hi...   Mar 6 2008, 08:15 AM
jack cloudy   Well, told ya. Don't come bawling saying I did...   Mar 9 2008, 09:52 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER SEVEN Bruno’s fist connected with Melvi...   Mar 11 2008, 04:13 AM
jack cloudy   Ya know, if someone gets that much time to beat so...   Mar 11 2008, 08:10 AM
Agent Griff   As I said earlier, if either Erick or Melvin ever ...   Mar 11 2008, 11:16 AM
redsrock   Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I'll try t...   Mar 11 2008, 11:34 AM
Steve   GENIUS!!! Yes, Bruno is annoying and I...   Mar 12 2008, 09:51 PM
BSD-IES   Well I've been reading your work for quite a w...   Mar 13 2008, 07:42 PM
Agent Griff   To be honest I find The Last Heir to be Red's ...   Mar 13 2008, 08:38 PM
BSD-IES   You're quite right Griff, it is still very ear...   Mar 13 2008, 09:07 PM
Agent Griff   Oh, we shall. If only I could get comments like th...   Mar 13 2008, 09:26 PM
redsrock   Thanks, Griff, and you too BSD. And about not c...   Mar 13 2008, 09:50 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER EIGHT Before we could even order our dr...   Mar 14 2008, 01:27 PM
Agent Griff   So the story is finally unraveling...and that Brun...   Mar 15 2008, 07:54 PM
jack cloudy   But if Melvin just slit his throat, then wouldn...   Mar 15 2008, 08:34 PM
redsrock   Thanks guys. I believe I said the voice was a fema...   Mar 15 2008, 09:22 PM
Agent Griff   In Romania it is night right now. And you might ca...   Mar 15 2008, 09:33 PM
redsrock   The next chapter will be up later this afternoon, ...   Mar 16 2008, 05:43 PM
redsrock   This chapter leads up to a more exciting one. I h...   Mar 16 2008, 06:42 PM
Agent Griff   I like Erick's new "built up anger" ...   Mar 16 2008, 07:54 PM
redsrock   Ha, we'll have to see about that last comment....   Mar 16 2008, 08:52 PM
jack cloudy   Ho boy, Erick pulled a straigth 180 here. From mis...   Mar 16 2008, 09:21 PM
redsrock   I'm trying to change him, but I don't want...   Mar 17 2008, 01:53 AM
The Metal Mallet   There have certainly been some interesting develop...   Mar 17 2008, 02:11 AM
redsrock   Thanks, Mallet. I'm really working hard on th...   Mar 17 2008, 02:22 AM
Steve   Yes, they have been developing well. And one of th...   Mar 18 2008, 02:15 AM
redsrock   Lol, we'll see.....   Mar 18 2008, 02:29 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER TEN Outside snow was beginning to calml...   Mar 20 2008, 02:40 AM
Steve   WHOA!!! you had to leave it with such ...   Mar 20 2008, 04:19 AM
The Metal Mallet   Naughty, naughty, naughty ending the chapter at th...   Mar 20 2008, 05:59 AM
redsrock   I thought about adding the content to the end of t...   Mar 20 2008, 11:03 AM
Steve   That's very cruel of you! I have a mind to...   Mar 20 2008, 04:47 PM
redsrock   Sorry...I just like me cliff hangers!   Mar 20 2008, 10:37 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER ELEVEN If you are reading then thankful...   Mar 23 2008, 01:19 AM
BSD-IES   Do not bring anyone with you except for Madila, B...   Mar 23 2008, 01:34 AM
redsrock   Thanks. yeah, about that typo....I commented over...   Mar 23 2008, 02:55 AM
Agent Griff   Brilliant updates! The action is starting to p...   Mar 23 2008, 04:13 PM
redsrock   No...not really. Care to elaborate? I'm acuta...   Mar 23 2008, 05:15 PM
Agent Griff   Well, Barbas is the Hound of Clavicus Vile. You ca...   Mar 23 2008, 08:26 PM
redsrock   No, I won't be doing that, especially since yo...   Mar 23 2008, 08:41 PM
jack cloudy   It's good to have friends. :D Anyway, I wond...   Mar 24 2008, 12:00 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER TWELVE I watched solemnly as the others...   Mar 25 2008, 02:16 AM
jack cloudy   Woah, from harmless mute to bloody creepy witch. T...   Mar 25 2008, 11:05 PM
redsrock   So you like it? I sure hope so....   Mar 25 2008, 11:23 PM
redsrock   There is A LOT of dialogue in this one, but I thin...   Mar 26 2008, 01:15 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER FOURTEEN No...What have I done? This b...   Mar 28 2008, 02:43 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER FIFTEEN After searching for a suitable ...   Mar 28 2008, 11:14 PM
redsrock   Any comments at all?   Mar 29 2008, 04:39 PM
jack cloudy   Eh, sorry for the wait. Ok, lots of stuff happeni...   Mar 29 2008, 05:40 PM
minque   Now of course you think I don't read your stor...   Mar 29 2008, 06:17 PM
redsrock   Hey that's cool, I totally understand. @Jack:...   Mar 29 2008, 06:33 PM
The Metal Mallet   Things are moving along quite nicely. I did find ...   Mar 30 2008, 07:58 AM
redsrock   Thanks, Metal, though I don't agree with you o...   Mar 30 2008, 03:24 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER SIXTEEN As my eyes opened and began to r...   Mar 31 2008, 03:20 AM
BSD-IES   :blink: :blink: :blink: Bloody hell, I didn...   Mar 31 2008, 03:25 PM
jack cloudy   NNNNOOOOOO! TTTTTEEEEEEMMMMMEEEEEEE!!...   Mar 31 2008, 05:21 PM
redsrock   I thought long and hard about Teemee, and ultimate...   Mar 31 2008, 05:37 PM
redsrock   Because the new Competition I will not be working ...   Apr 3 2008, 07:19 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER SEVENTEEN "How long until we arriv...   Apr 11 2008, 08:26 PM
redsrock   Here is a skipped chapter. My bad....This all hap...   Apr 13 2008, 03:33 PM
redsrock   Here is the last chapter. It's not what you...   Apr 13 2008, 03:35 PM
BSD-IES   People are still reading it, I'm sure. The for...   Apr 13 2008, 04:16 PM
The Metal Mallet   Definitely not what I was expecting for an ending,...   Apr 27 2008, 10:56 PM
redsrock   In all honesty, I became tired with the piece. I h...   Apr 27 2008, 11:07 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:53 PM