Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Argonian Hearthfires, because I might do it again.
ghastley
post Jul 29 2015, 10:08 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 29 2015, 04:15 PM) *

I love the idea that the rubble produces usable productive materials! Wonder what is causing the issue with the weapon racks?

I vote to place a pickaxe in the area, just for convenience sake.

Maybe make a key from the iron for the secret door?

As long as you have placed enough supplies to actually complete the project, I don't think the number required should be lessened.

That's just my 2 cents, lol.

Freshly made weapon racks in vanilla Hearthfires don't work until you leave the cell and re-enter. I suspect there's an aspect of the buggy OnCellLoad code that doesn't work here.

Pickaxe will be supplied. I can put it under the pile of rubble that normally hides the outside door, and is disabled when you get the letter. That way it won't get picked up too early.

I don't mean the secret door recipe, I mean the pre-requisites. The secret door only appears in the list of things to build after you made the beds, but I'm wondering if anything else should be built first.

I've actually tried to make the found items insufficient, so that you do need to gather things elsewhere. You'll need to mine ores, and buy straw. Empty wine bottles are a common clutter item in many dungeons, so they're easy to find. The potential issue is the weight of empties required, and that's not too bad at 18. However, you need a matching set of six to make glass, and there are three or four varieties of empty wine bottles. All types can be used, but if you have five of each, you can't do anything!

I'll be supplying a leather strip in the starter chest, so you can bootstrap the tanning rack to make more. Similarly, there will be enough iron ingots to make a smelter, so you only need iron ore once you make that. I'll take out the rest of the clay, as you can mine that close by, and you don't need much (just the oven and planters use it, I think) as there are no walls to make here.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 29 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 29 2015, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 29 2015, 04:15 PM) *

I love the idea that the rubble produces usable productive materials! Wonder what is causing the issue with the weapon racks?

I vote to place a pickaxe in the area, just for convenience sake.

Maybe make a key from the iron for the secret door?

As long as you have placed enough supplies to actually complete the project, I don't think the number required should be lessened.

That's just my 2 cents, lol.

Freshly made weapon racks in vanilla Hearthfires don't work until you leave the cell and re-enter. I suspect there's an aspect of the buggy OnCellLoad code that doesn't work here.

Pickaxe will be supplied. I can put it under the pile of rubble that normally hides the outside door, and is disabled when you get the letter. That way it won't get picked up too early.

I don't mean the secret door recipe, I mean the pre-requisites. The secret door only appears in the list of things to build after you made the beds, but I'm wondering if anything else should be built first.

I've actually tried to make the found items insufficient, so that you do need to gather things elsewhere. You'll need to mine ores, and buy straw. Empty wine bottles are a common clutter item in many dungeons, so they're easy to find. The potential issue is the weight of empties required, and that's not too bad at 18. However, you need a matching set of six to make glass, and there are three or four varieties of empty wine bottles. All types can be used, but if you have five of each, you can't do anything!

I'll be supplying a leather strip in the starter chest, so you can bootstrap the tanning rack to make more. Similarly, there will be enough iron ingots to make a smelter, so you only need iron ore once you make that. I'll take out the rest of the clay, as you can mine that close by, and you don't need much (just the oven and planters use it, I think) as there are no walls to make here.

Is that "On cell load" error why people were doing double load areas between the main door of the house and the house interior? I heard about people doing that so the game would load the interior without errors (or some reason like that - can't remember exactly why).

They were making an interior room that was totally empty except marker headings and the player would load into one side of the room and land at that marker heading; then be automatically moved to the next door directly across from the one they just entered into; and then automatically loaded into the real interior of the house - I've got the whole thing laid out somewhere in my notes, but never used it because I didn't know enough about how it worked or why.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 30 2015, 04:04 AM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

Very possible, but like you, I won't do it until I understand it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 30 2015, 08:33 AM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 29 2015, 11:04 PM) *

Very possible, but like you, I won't do it until I understand it.

Same here. Here is the article I read about it, but it was a bit over my head so I backed out slowly till I could find out what I was doing:

http://bertscktutorial.ucoz.com/index/over...double_load/0-8

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 30 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

That looks like something I don't want to need. ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 30 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 30 2015, 08:36 AM) *

That looks like something I don't want to need. ohmy.gif

I sincerely hope I don't need it, but might since my basement is over the allowable size limit - and it has almost nothing in it, but a bit of fog.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 2 2015, 01:50 AM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

It's got to the point where it needs other people to tell me what they don't like. Everything seems to work now, but I'm a bit uncertain if the lumber purchase works if you build this before any vanilla homes.

Version 0.1

Some icons are missing from the wiki page, but that doesn't stop you using the mod.

Note that only two rooms have rubble. I may put rubble in the side-rooms later, if I can devise a way to let you start furnishing the rooms you cleared, before doing them all. This uses the simple method of not enabling the workbench until all rubble is gone, and the more complex option may need multiple workbenches.

You won't get materials at a steady rate as you dig. The random item includes a 25% chance of nothing, and equal chances of a bottle, an iron ingot, or one or two pieces of stone. It takes six empty bottles to make one unit of glass, so you may not get enough to make one.

Expect at least one revision, as I learn how to light properly. The bedroom has problems.

There are no meshes or textures, as everything used is vanilla. The bsa contains only scripts.

Also under consideration for later: at least one shrine (Hist?) to allow home cures of disease.

Edit: fixed a bunch of broken stuff that requires a restart, so undid the link. I'll post a new download soon.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 4 2015, 01:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 8 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

This one might be worth downloading.

Version 0.2

It has the missing SEQ file that stopped the dialog with the lumber vendors, and corrects the door model. Lighting is better, but not perfect. I'm not sure the remaining issues aren't bugs in the rendering engine, as I keep seeing the same thing in the base game. All the icons are in the doc, so if this works for everyone, it will get uploaded to the Nexus as is.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 8 2015, 07:57 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

Downloaded! Thank you, Ghastley!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 13 2015, 12:48 PM
Post #30

Councilor
Group Icon

Thank you, ghastley! I’ll get a new Argonian going and report on 0.2.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 13 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

I could waiting a long time if you're starting a fresh game. The Derkeethus rescue is a tough task for a low-level character, as the chaurus are a minimum level 12.

For testing, my characters bypassed the pre-requisite tests with "Startquest BYOCIlinaltaDen" via the console. I checked the kick-off with an existing character, that had already done the other quests, by taking them back to Avanchzel and leaving again. More than one, just to be sure, so Prizna the Dremora, and Thudd the Orc have both been digging.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 13 2015, 04:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 13 2015, 10:11 PM
Post #32

Councilor
Group Icon

OK, thanks for the tip! I'll refresh my memory on the quests and pick an existing character.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 14 2015, 02:37 AM
Post #33

Councilor
Group Icon

Jensa had not done either quest, so I ran her through them both quick. She accidentally found the courier before he found her since I forgot about Arthmoor’s Provincial Courier mod. He gave her the letter and she headed over to excavate the den.

It looks awesome so far. I love the entrance and the interior space, and the location is beautiful. Stenvar followed her in and sandboxed including using a rubble pile (to no effect of course), which was funny. It’s neat to find items in the rubble.

Outside I found a slightly floating fern, but it may be due to the Helgen Reborn mod which changes the area higher up on the hill. Helgen Reborn looks compatible so far. I have not found the workbench and log pile yet, so I have to go back and check for rubble that I missed.

This is really neat, ghastely!

Oh, and I think a Hist shrine is a great idea. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 14 2015, 02:49 AM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

I think the floating fern is in the original game, as I saw it, too. I fixed a couple more floating plants in the mod, but missed that one. I can never find it in the CK when I look for it.

The workbench and log pile aren't enabled until the rubble is cleared.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 14 2015, 02:50 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 14 2015, 04:22 AM
Post #35

Councilor
Group Icon

I went back to re-do the rubble piles without Stenvar in the way, and this time it worked perfectly. Got the notices every time a pile cleared and the quest updated after the last pile. This is a very old and abused save, so I also took it slower this time to give the scripts time to run. Workbench and log pile right where they should be. Trouble was on my end, yay! biggrin.gif

Jensa had most of the materials she needed to make the furnishings, but she needs a few items to finish up tomorrow. Then she’ll do some planting, torture test the book shelves, fill the weapon racks, and the like. Of course she tried out the bed already. Lover’s Comfort, woo!

I love the layout and the furnishings. It’s dark enough to feel underground and Argonian-damp, but still cozy with fine things around. Awesome job, ghastley!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 14 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

You'll probably find that one of the shelves has restless book syndrome. I think one of the dummy locations is too tight to the end or back and sets the rest off.

I wanted three-shelf bookcases for the space they're in and the pre-made ones were two or four. The first shelf took forever, but the rest were copy/pasted. Why only one gets a problem is as yet unsolved.

You may also find the mannequins behaving the way they notoriously do. I gave them their own nav-mesh islands to try and keep them in place, but they still manage to wander. Mine levitate, too.

BTW The floating fern is a side-effect of lowering the bank slightly when I took the ground level below the entry door inside the ruin.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 14 2015, 02:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 15 2015, 01:27 AM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

Ok, Jensa did some decorating and is ready to report.

First, I love the secret door! I love it a lot! biggrin.gif

As predicted the mannequins like to levitate and the bookshelves don’t like big books. Those dang bookshelves!

My planters do not have soil in them. This could be another case of old save file couldn’t keep up with the building, so I’ll try with Jensa again from the rubble clearing before I build the den with another character.

I applaud the way you handled the challenges of curved walls with furniture. The only change I would suggest is maybe try round rugs under or bedside the children’s beds.

I’d like to see two weapon plaques on that screen that has one plaque on it, one over the other like in Vlindrel Hall. Also I think there are a few empty curved corners that might look nice with a display area there, maybe a screen with a couple of hanging shelves on it.

I like the openness, but I would also like a little more furniture storage in the crafting areas. I’m always worried about barrels respawning. Even a pouch on the alchemy bench and a strong box on the enchanting bench would do the trick.

Last idea, how about a fish hatchery in the lake? biggrin.gif

This underwater den is a real gem! I’m looking forward to building it again!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 15 2015, 04:06 AM
Post #38

Councilor
Group Icon

Planters have not been set up for planting. I wanted feedback first on whether to pre-plant with something or do the plant-your-own thing. I take it you wanted the latter?

I'll take another look at the rugs. My first glance through the catalog left me not liking the colours available, and I was seriously considering no floor coverings at all (or moss!)

Two plaques is simple enough, and I'll put an alchemists satchel on one of the barrels. The smithy could use a chest for storing ingots, too.

The space to the left of the alchemy table is begging for something to go there, and that's probably where the Hist shrine will go when I decide what one looks like.

You most likely haven't been in and out of the wet door much, but there are two river fish spawn points there that seem to produce new fish on each visit. A hatchery would be redundant. I was getting six fish each time I went out the underwater door.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 15 2015, 04:10 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 15 2015, 03:51 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

Version 0.3

I've soiled the planters, so you can plant stuff now.

Doubled the plaque, and moved the weapon racks over a bit to the blank area.

Added an alchemist's satchel as storage in the lab, which enables with the barrel it's on.

The Hist shrine is a simple log that appears at Stage 50 (when you first use the workbench). It gives the same blessing as Nocturnal's - Fortify Sneak. Its RefID is xx01295E if you've already passed the stage where it enables, and want to try it.

I moved the collision boxes out a bit from the bookshelves in case they were the cause of the issue. Now I expect books will fall off the shelves down the gap.

No change to the rugs yet. I may have to make custom ones.

Apart from the Hist log, the other changes should update an existing game.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 15 2015, 03:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 15 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome, got it. Thank you!

I spit tea at “I’ve soiled the planters.” I won’t share that mental image! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:16 PM