Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 1 2020, 10:34 PM
Post #3861

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 1 2020, 04:32 PM) *

I bought Serpent and the Rainbow on blu ray a while ago, and watched it again a few weeks ago too. It was a good horror story. There are parts based on reality. Wade Davis really did go to Haiti and brought back some poisons. He believes that Haitian zombies are caused by a combination of pufferfish venom to originally simulate death. Then by repeated doses of Datura, which renders the victims essentially without a will of their own.

Ooo sounds like Subbie recommends! I may have to pay a few bucks and stream it from Amazon Prime Video.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 1 2020, 10:41 PM
Post #3862

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 1 2020, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 1 2020, 04:32 PM) *

I bought Serpent and the Rainbow on blu ray a while ago, and watched it again a few weeks ago too. It was a good horror story. There are parts based on reality. Wade Davis really did go to Haiti and brought back some poisons. He believes that Haitian zombies are caused by a combination of pufferfish venom to originally simulate death. Then by repeated doses of Datura, which renders the victims essentially without a will of their own.

Ooo sounds like Subbie recommends! I may have to pay a few bucks and stream it from Amazon Prime Video.

Yes, it was a good horror movie. Wes Craven did it I think. He and John Carpenter are pretty much the godfathers of horror.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Apr 1 2020, 10:45 PM
Post #3863

Knower
Group Icon

I haven't seen that movie in years! The undead bride used to scare me so bad as a kid! It is definitely a really good horror movie.

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 1 2020, 11:25 PM
Post #3864

Master
Group Icon

Normally I don’t watch zombie movies, buuuut . . .

I got suckered into The Kingdom by the Korean court intrigue - by the time I realized “Oh, this is a ZOMBIE series!” I was too invested and kept watching. The second season just came out and I had to watch the first one all over again to refresh my memory. Well worth watching, zombies or no.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 1 2020, 11:59 PM
Post #3865

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Apr 1 2020, 05:25 PM) *

Normally I don’t watch zombie movies, buuuut . . .

I got suckered into The Kingdom by the Korean court intrigue - by the time I realized “Oh, this is a ZOMBIE series!” I was too invested and kept watching. The second season just came out and I had to watch the first one all over again to refresh my memory. Well worth watching, zombies or no.

That looked interesting. I should check that out.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 2 2020, 12:10 AM
Post #3866

Ancient
Group Icon

Kingdom is on Netflix. Maybe I'll check that out.

I saw The Last Train To Busan a few years ago. That was a good Korean zombie movie.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 2 2020, 12:25 AM
Post #3867

Ancient
Group Icon

I’ve really been in a Star Wars mood lately. I’m thinking I’ll start the final season of Clone Wars and then go right into Rebels. I’ve already seen season 1 of Rebels but I need to start over to remember what went on.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 2 2020, 09:07 PM
Post #3868

Ancient
Group Icon

I finished watching A New Hope again. This time on 4k. Wow, it still looks good even after all these years. That scene of the fighters rounding Yavin is still my favorite shot in all the SW films.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 3 2020, 06:33 PM
Post #3869

Ancient
Group Icon

If I lived in the Star Wars galaxy, I would go in the floor polish manufacturing business. The Death Star alone must have used a billion gallons of the stuff, add in every Star Destroyer, Imperial base, and the like, and that would have to be an ocean of the stuff. I'd be richer than all those posers at Canto Bight.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 3 2020, 06:52 PM
Post #3870

Master
Group Icon

Having just finished watching the final trilogy of Star Wars last night, I have to agree on the floor polish! Geez, you think that's why they have so many little droids running around underfoot in those places??

I was pleasantly surprised at how well done these final three movies were. Compared to the second trilogy (Episodes I - III) it was far beyond sublime in quality of storytelling and characterization. So much was conveyed in so little. I adored Rey's character, especially when she healed that tunnel snake, and in her treatment of the droids and aliens she encountered. In fact, overall I noticed how much kinder the characters were towards non-human characters (except for the Imperials, of course). And I also noticed the variety of "animal" life in these three movies. The crystal foxes on the red salt world were especially striking.

I am considering purchasing the full set (yes, including Ep I - III, which I honestly can do without), or just buying the later six. It comes out to about the same price either way.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 3 2020, 07:38 PM
Post #3871

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Apr 3 2020, 01:52 PM) *

Having just finished watching the final trilogy of Star Wars last night, I have to agree on the floor polish! Geez, you think that's why they have so many little droids running around underfoot in those places??

I was pleasantly surprised at how well done these final three movies were. Compared to the second trilogy (Episodes I - III) it was far beyond sublime in quality of storytelling and characterization. So much was conveyed in so little. I adored Rey's character, especially when she healed that tunnel snake, and in her treatment of the droids and aliens she encountered. In fact, overall I noticed how much kinder the characters were towards non-human characters (except for the Imperials, of course). And I also noticed the variety of "animal" life in these three movies. The crystal foxes on the red salt world were especially striking.

I am considering purchasing the full set (yes, including Ep I - III, which I honestly can do without), or just buying the later six. It comes out to about the same price either way.

I found quite a few things to like about the new movies, though some disappointments and head-scratches too. But all in all I enjoy them. I loved how they did the whole "Dyad in the Force" idea between Rey and Ben/Kylo. I loved the scenes of them interacting across vast distances, and being physically present at both sides at the same time. I too, really liked Rey, and the fact that she chose to heal what was in effect just a big wild animal, than seeing it as a monster that had to be killed. I think it revealed a lot of her character, that she did not just see things to destroy. I also liked that her story is about the value of found family, and that you are not defined by the circumstances of your birth. The final scene on Tatooine really cements that.

Being nice to wildlife is an idea they started working with in the Rebels tv show. In it the main character Ezra's really unique talent is that he can form connections in the Force. He uses that to make friends with all sorts of creatures that would otherwise be seen as monsters. It is something really greatly overdue in the Star Wars universe. The Jedi were supposed to be guides and guardians, not killing machines wiping out all the wildlife they come across.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 5 2020, 02:49 AM
Post #3872

Ancient
Group Icon

I am now watching Jaws 4. Yep, been sitting at home for weeks now...

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 5 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #3873

Ancient
Group Icon

I’m remembering why I lost track of Rebels. There are entirely too many children in this show! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Apr 5 2020, 01:19 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 8 2020, 03:02 AM
Post #3874

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished watching Underwater. It was really good, a combination of disaster and horror movies. It also had Jessica Henwick in it, which was a wonderful surprise. She even got to use her actual (English) accent in it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 10 2020, 03:20 AM
Post #3875

Ancient
Group Icon

I watched the old movie Hardware, from 1990 or so. It was not all that good. One thing about watching TV and films from back then and earlier, is that I notice just how perviness toward women was not only prevalent, but just expected as a fact of life, like gravity or time is.

But the wasteland scavenger from the very beginning and end did give me the germ of an idea for a post-apocalyptic character and setting. I don't know that I will ever actually write anything. But I am going to get my thoughts down on pixels so I don't forget them.

I also watched the first episode of Home Before Dark. It was good. The main character is an extremely precocious 9 year old. She is a would-be reporter and sleuth, in the mold of Nancy Drew. Except with the reporting part added on. I enjoyed it a lot. I'll probably watch the rest of the season.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 10 2020, 06:45 AM
Post #3876

Ancient
Group Icon

I am finishing up watching the Ice Worlds episode of The Planets, which is a series on Amazon Prime. I have always been really intrigued by the planets it covers - Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto, the worlds farthest from the Sun. Pluto is really incredible. A vast plain of frozen nitrogen 900 miles across, and next to it a mountain range made of ice the height of the Rockies. The ice that covers the planet might be 180 kilometers thick, with an ocean of liquid water beneath that might be another 100km deep, and a solid core beneath that which appears to include radioactive metal, since something down there is creating the heat needed to create a dynamic surface.

The whole time I kept thinking, that is where Cthulhu lives. R'lyeh is not in the Pacific, but in the heart of Pluto. Of course, he does have a region on Pluto named after him.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 10 2020, 08:45 AM
Post #3877

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 10 2020, 12:45 AM) *

The whole time I kept thinking, that is where Cthulhu lives. R'lyeh is not in the Pacific, but in the heart of Pluto. Of course, he does have a region on Pluto named after him.

The idea that something like Cthulhu will someday awaken in the depths of Pluto is terrible and awesome!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 10 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #3878

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 10 2020, 03:45 AM) *

The idea that something like Cthulhu will someday awaken in the depths of Pluto is terrible and awesome!

Someday? What makes you think he has not already?

Muhahahahahahahaha!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 10 2020, 09:54 PM
Post #3879

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 10 2020, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 10 2020, 03:45 AM) *

Someday? What makes you think he has not already?

Muhahahahahahahaha!

True!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 11 2020, 01:00 AM
Post #3880

Master
Group Icon

Geez, been on a mega-binge this month.

Finished, for the first time ever, Breaking Bad. Followed up with the movie El Camino, and now I'm watching the prequel Better Call Saul.

I also finished Ozark season 3.

Very good shows! Both Breaking Bad and Ozark are about good people dealt crappy cards in life who become more or less involved in a lucrative business but end up turning into the absolute worst version of themselves.

Ozark had plenty of "Woah, oh my God!" moments. Plenty of twists.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 192 193 194 195 196 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:58 PM