> The Elder Scrolls Online: General Discussion
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 9 2018, 05:35 PM
Post #41

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Nov 9 2018, 09:44 AM) *

laugh.gif

Yeah Hircine has his two shades. But after digging some bit of lore he’s just as terrible as Molag Bal(turning maidens into deer and uh doing stuff before hunting them) in some aspects and not so terrible in others, like granting boons.

Bah! Your puny mortal conceptions of good and evil. Hircine, like other Daedra, are beyond such things! Hircine is what it is his nature to be; he simply is.

tongue.gif

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 9 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #42

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 9 2018, 10:39 AM) *

Heh, Hircine is pretty easy to please. As long as it’s sporting, he really doesn’t care what you do laugh.gif

That's the impression I get, too. He won't ask you if you want to be hunted, but if you weren't capable of escaping, it would be much sport, would it? Fighting back is another matter, and if you win ... ohmy.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 9 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #43

Ancient
Group Icon

Volrina Quarra!!!! Interesting!

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Nov 9 2018, 07:32 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Nov 9 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 9 2018, 05:35 PM) *

laugh.gif

Yeah Hircine has his two shades. But after digging some bit of lore he’s just as terrible as Molag Bal(turning maidens into deer and uh doing stuff before hunting them) in some aspects and not so terrible in others, like granting boons.

Bah! Your puny mortal conceptions of good and evil. Hircine, like other Daedra, are beyond such things! Hircine is what it is his nature to be; he simply is.

tongue.gif

Never used the word “evil”. Just said it was terrible. wink.gif

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 9 2018, 11:39 PM
Post #45

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Nov 9 2018, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 9 2018, 05:35 PM) *

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

Never used the word “evil”. Just said it was terrible. wink.gif

Okie dokie laugh.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Jan 6 2019, 11:46 PM
Post #46

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm calling it now: the conclusion of the Elsweyr "saga" will reveal why the Interregnum period was forgotten, and it won't be fun for anyone involved.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 7 2019, 12:23 AM
Post #47

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Jan 6 2019, 05:46 PM) *

I'm calling it now: the conclusion of the Elsweyr "saga" will reveal why the Interregnum period was forgotten, and it won't be fun for anyone involved.

But they can't end the Interregnum in game; because the whole game is living in it (in the present)...right?

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Jan 7 2019, 01:10 AM
Post #48

Mouth
Group Icon

Well, they won't have to end it, but I can totally see some sort of cosmic event that will ensure the events will be lost to time for some reason. I can't imagine how the game plays will be changed by anything that happens, but story wise? Totally.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 28 2019, 03:04 PM
Post #49

Councilor
Group Icon

On the plus side, I've finally been getting curious about ES: Online. Where do I start? I'm not seeing anything on Steam. I already have my first character idea thought up. smile.gif And am looking forward to exploring some new lands (sort of). My gaming computer has specs that are just above recommended, so I'm good there. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 29 2019, 01:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 28 2019, 03:40 PM
Post #50

Councilor
Group Icon

However you purchase, you'll have a huge download of the client. Direct purchase from ZOS is probably the simplest, as you're using a PC.

I'd avoid Steam, as that just doubles up your signon problems every time you use it. There have been times when everyone could play except the Steam users. I can't think of any benefit of Steam in this case.

Make your character(s) carefully, as MMO's have a lot of grind in character build-up, that you won't want to repeat.

In particular, class can't be changed, and the ESO classes can be very misleading. If you want to create a tank, you'll want a Dragonknight, if you want a healer, then choose Templar, and the others will be damage-dealers. The classes provide magical abilities and the weapon skills lines generally stamina abilities, so with the possible exception of a magicka sorcerer using staves, you'd expect to use some of each. That would be a mistake, as the successful builds pick either magicka or stamina and stay there. There are stamsorcs, and magblades, who aren't the classic spellswords at all.

A pure bow character is possible, especially as you don't just use one for ranged attacks. Perversely, you can use a one-handed weapon skill to do a ranged attack, and then close in with your bow! The distinction between multi-target and single-target is perhaps more useful. And for extra confusion, your armour may do more damage than your weapon. wacko.gif

On the other hand, you can roll eight characters before buying new slots, so you can try multiple classes (the only thing you can't change) without re-starting. Whether the extras are separate characters, or as in Acadian's game, multiple aspects of the same one, is up to you. The many "once per day" restrictions are generally applicable to the character, not the account, so each of your characters can get a riding lesson, do crafting writs and research, etc. if you have enough play time to run them in parallel.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 28 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #51

Paladin
Group Icon

Good advice from ghastley. Here's a couple basic links to help with the game:

UESP: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online

Official Forums are invitation only and they'll send you an invite once you buy the game. In the meantime you might consider some lurking there: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/

As ghastley mentioned you cannot currently change your class but you can make multiple characters. Your race, name, skills, attributes and (later) champion points can all be changed so don't be afraid to experiment there.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 28 2019, 05:49 PM
Post #52

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jan 28 2019, 09:04 AM) *

My BIFF (best internet friend forever) Lopov got his career started finally, which means most of my internet social life is gone. sad.gif For awhile, anyway. I have a feeling he'll be back eventually; he is as much of a gaming addict as any of us.

On the plus side, I've finally been getting curious about ES: Online. Where do I start? I'm not seeing anything on Steam. I already have my first character idea thought up. smile.gif And am looking forward to exploring some new lands (sort of). My gaming computer has specs that are just above recommended, so I'm good there. smile.gif

Oh, Lopov has moved to Germany and is working in a hospital there? I wonder if he is near Kaiserslautern and the Landstuhl hospital?

I am excited for him; and can understand if he doesn't have time to get online for a while = but also excited about the possibility of you joining ESO !!!! That is AWESOME !!!!

P.S. You can't mod ESO; but if you get the burning urge to mod something, you can always pull out a different game every now and then and toy with modding it. (I've been getting my modding angst out with Fallout 4 recently, lol).

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 29 2019, 03:47 PM
Post #53

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jan 28 2019, 08:04 AM) *

Joooooin ussssss.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 4 2019, 05:18 PM
Post #54

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow, thanks everyone. smile.gif Perhaps you'll see me show up one of these days.

And we can't get it from Steam? GOOD. I'd rather not deal with Steam, honestly.

And I also know about the no-modding thing. Am okay with that. It's mostly that nobody plays the older games much anymore, that's what's got me interested.

ghastley: Thanks for the info about classes. My first character will probably be called Jean Yuss (or some such spelling of genius). Because of this name, she'll probably be interested in Intelligence-type stuff, so therefore, she'll be magey. bluewizardsmile.gif But I don't know how the dynamics work. Do people mostly play as characters in this game, or do they play as "themselves?" I can't play as myself. laugh.gif If I were to play as myself, I'd find a nice hovel to hunker down in, grab a book, and stare at the walls, rarely leaving whatever nicely safe locale I locate.

.... well, Acadian plays as Buffy, so I guess that answers my question.

mALX: Lopov is still in his home country; but he recently got his medical license, so he's a full-fledged doctor by now (I think that's how it works there). He plans on having a second child, learning German so he can work in Austria, and seems to have vowed off gaming. But I think he'll be back. heh heh heh... He always comes back.

This post has been edited by Renee: Feb 4 2019, 05:19 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 4 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #55

Councilor
Group Icon

Renee, I find that there’s often a mixture of character and player chat when we get together. There are communities of RPers who chat only in-character, though. When I play it’s me riding along with my character just like in the single player games until a player speaks to me instead of Jerric, and then Jerric takes the back seat. I have met a few random people whose characters spoke to Jerric with no player interaction. This is always fun until inevitably he gets invited back to someone’s castle for a feast where it turns out he is supposed to be the main dish. (Lots of vampires in this game.) I cannot count how many times this has happened. Maybe he should put on a shirt.

Also, welcome to ESO!!! smile.gif

Great news for Lopov, I completely understand why he’s turning off the games for a while. Very best wishes to him and his family. And like you, I’ll be waiting here to welcome him baaaack! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Feb 4 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #56

Mouth
Group Icon

I always liked the idea of spontaneous RP, but I always found that I can't spontaneously go in-character, let alone STAY in character. Especially when my mind vacates the premises most of the time when I play.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 4 2019, 11:39 PM
Post #57

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 4 2019, 11:18 AM) *

Wow, thanks everyone. smile.gif Perhaps you'll see me show up one of these days.

And we can't get it from Steam? GOOD. I'd rather not deal with Steam, honestly.

And I also know about the no-modding thing. Am okay with that. It's mostly that nobody plays the older games much anymore, that's what's got me interested.

ghastley: Thanks for the info about classes. My first character will probably be called Jean Yuss (or some such spelling of genius). Because of this name, she'll probably be interested in Intelligence-type stuff, so therefore, she'll be magey. bluewizardsmile.gif But I don't know how the dynamics work. Do people mostly play as characters in this game, or do they play as "themselves?" I can't play as myself. laugh.gif If I were to play as myself, I'd find a nice hovel to hunker down in, grab a book, and stare at the walls, rarely leaving whatever nicely safe locale I locate.

.... well, Acadian plays as Buffy, so I guess that answers my question.

mALX: Lopov is still in his home country; but he recently got his medical license, so he's a full-fledged doctor by now (I think that's how it works there). He plans on having a second child, learning German so he can work in Austria, and seems to have vowed off gaming. But I think he'll be back. heh heh heh... He always comes back.

Technically, you CAN buy ESO via Steam = just much better to buy it directly from Bethesda/Zenimax than to add a third party into the mix that you are at the mercy of.

Oh, I'm so glad Lopov is trying again, I was so sad to hear of his loss last year. If you talk to him = congrats on graduating; and good luck on a new little Lopov.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 4 2019, 11:59 PM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 4 2019, 11:43 AM) *

Renee, I find that there’s often a mixture of character and player chat when we get together. There are communities of RPers who chat only in-character, though. When I play it’s me riding along with my character just like in the single player games until a player speaks to me instead of Jerric, and then Jerric takes the back seat. I have met a few random people whose characters spoke to Jerric with no player interaction. This is always fun until inevitably he gets invited back to someone’s castle for a feast where it turns out he is supposed to be the main dish. (Lots of vampires in this game.) I cannot count how many times this has happened. Maybe he should put on a shirt.

Also, welcome to ESO!!! smile.gif

Great news for Lopov, I completely understand why he’s turning off the games for a while. Very best wishes to him and his family. And like you, I’ll be waiting here to welcome him baaaack! biggrin.gif

This is primarily how it has always been for me in all the games; even single player. I am always with my characters; riding or fighting alongside them. In ESO = in the chatbox (text) if someone talks to me or to my characters = whichever one of us is spoken to will answer in the text chatbox.

If I am on voice chat in TeamSpeak or Discord; I'll always be the one everyone is talking to. (so I don't have to make up different voices for my characters, lol).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 5 2019, 12:14 AM
Post #59

Paladin
Group Icon

Renee, you were asking about playing characters in ESO. As you know, I only play by traveling along with Buffy (one character). But in ESO I ran into a couple problems.

You can't mod skills/abilities, ESO falls guilty to the D&D stereotype that precludes mystic archers, and none of the classes fully suit her. My normal reaction to this would have been to quit the game.

The other problem is that, being a dynamic multiplayer game, character skills and abilities are frequently tweaked/adjusted to promote 'balance'. The problem here is that if Buffy and I get attached to one class and that class takes some heavy 'nerfs', our inclination would, again, be to quit the game.

With those strikes, why choose ESO? The beauty and sheer mass/scale of the game is breathtaking. The game area is perhaps 100 times the scope of Oblivion or Skyrim - and constantly evolving/changing/growing. And the combat system is pretty good. That it is a multiplayer game (and all that comes with that) is a drawback we deal with.

So. . . our solution to the challenges was to create several versions of Buffy that, among them, could suit our needs. They each look identical and have variations on the name Buffy. Buffy views it as changing class on a whim and does so as readily as she changes outfits or how she styles her hair. From her perspective, she grabs a healing staff and goes out as a healer (that REALLY suits her nurturing nature). If she grabs a lightning staff, she goes out as a storm mage which feeds her penchant for magic. Finally, when she grabs a bow, she plays true to her roots as a pure bowgirl.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 5 2019, 12:36 AM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 4 2019, 04:16 PM) *

I always liked the idea of spontaneous RP, but I always found that I can't spontaneously go in-character, let alone STAY in character. Especially when my mind vacates the premises most of the time when I play.

OMG, I am hooked on this song now! I seriously can't stop listening to it!!! Thanks a lot, Monkey! Like I wasn't fried enough before; now you addict me to a song I can't even sing along with; and it makes me want to dance around my house like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vH_bB3UcIE

rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 5 2019, 01:20 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:23 PM