Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Star Wars Thread 1: The Phantom Post, Star Wars
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 22 2018, 05:01 AM
Post #661

Ancient
Group Icon

^
As fascinating as this one finds the Sith, they really are unbelievably dumb. So they institute this “Rule of Two” because having many Sith around at one time was just causing infighting. Why the hell would any Sith master want to train an apprentice knowing that apprentice would be the death of him/her? It seems to Khajiit that if a Sith Lord could accept the “Rule of Two”, he/she ought to be able to also try working with other Sith to achieve their goals. In each case you may eventually lose your power, but it is a certainty in the “Rule of Two”.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kane
post Mar 22 2018, 01:22 PM
Post #662

Master
Group Icon

I think the idea was that with every apprentice eventually killing the master, each generation of Sith was getting progressively stronger. It may have taken a while, but it did work. Palpatine was insanely powerful, and no one could stand against him.

Well, almost no one. Mace Windu managed to beat him in lightsaber combat, and Lucas did say that is canon, so.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 22 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #663

Ancient
Group Icon

Kane I do agree with what you are saying, to a certain extent. I believe the idea is basically survival of the fittest. Once a Master is no longer strong enough, the Apprentice kills him or her, proving that they are now the strongest.

But in practice is still means that each Master knows they are training their own murderer. Why not just decide to live forever instead? That is what both Plagueis and Palpatine chose. Plagueis' master also tried using essence transfer to take over Plagueis' body after Plagueis murdered him. I think even Bane, who founded the whole Rule of Two, tried the same when his Apprentice Zannah killed him. Self-Sacrifice is just wholly against the Sith doctrine.

That is why I think it was a failure. The most successful Sith Masters all abandoned the idea and went their own way.

OTOH you can also look at it this way: Under the Rule of Two the Sith ruled the galaxy for 20 years, and spent 980 years hiding like rats from the Jedi. That is not a very good ratio. At least back before the Rule of Two they ruled vast swaths of the galaxy for thousands of years. Even if not the entire thing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 22 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #664

Ancient
Group Icon

And just because an apprentice is able to take power doesn’t mean he is stronger than his master. Take the events of KotOR, for example. Malak took power via sneak attack on Revan’s flagship. In a straight up fight, Revan could mop the floor with Malak; and she proved it biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Kane
post Mar 22 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #665

Master
Group Icon

Revan is a she?

TIL

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 22 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #666

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Mar 22 2018, 10:27 AM) *

Revan is a she?

TIL

Khajiit’s was!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 22 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #667

Ancient
Group Icon

My Revan was a she as well.

That is why I would not want to see a Kotor film, or read the Revan novels that are out there. It would be totally contrary to how I view Revan.

I do see what you mean about sneak attacks Khajiit. But then again, being stealthy and using surprise against an opponent you have lulled in a false sense of security is another form of power. Bane's idea with the Rule of Two was that pure strength was not the only weapon of the Dark Side, but also corruption, secrecy, poison, etc...

Sidious himself killed Plagueis by poisoning him, then finishing him off with force powers when Plagueis was helpless. Though in the movie Sidious said Plagueis was killed in his sleep. Plagueis killed his own master Tenebrous in the middle of a crisis, when Tenebrous was using his force powers to hold up the roof of a collapsing mine shaft above them. Tenebrous was distracted, and already busy with using his powers. Plagueis saw his chance and instantly took it, killing Tenebrous while his guard was momentarily down.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 22 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #668

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 22 2018, 03:36 PM) *

My Revan was a she as well.

That is why I would not want to see a Kotor film, or read the Revan novels that are out there. It would be totally contrary to how I view Revan.

I do see what you mean about sneak attacks Khajiit. But then again, being stealthy and using surprise against an opponent you have lulled in a false sense of security is another form of power. Bane's idea with the Rule of Two was that pure strength was not the only weapon of the Dark Side, but also corruption, secrecy, poison, etc...

Sidious himself killed Plagueis by poisoning him, then finishing him off with force powers when Plagueis was helpless. Though in the movie Sidious said Plagueis was killed in his sleep. Plagueis killed his own master Tenebrous in the middle of a crisis, when Tenebrous was using his force powers to hold up the roof of a collapsing mine shaft above them. Tenebrous was distracted, and already busy with using his powers. Plagueis saw his chance and instantly took it, killing Tenebrous while his guard was momentarily down.

This one see’s your point, but Khajiit is going to have to argue all of this sneakiness in taking power didn’t really work out for them. Sure, ol’ Palps was in “control” of the Galaxy for a time, but that was over in a relatively short amount of time. This one still believes that, though it was entire point of the “Rule of Two”, power was being taken by weaker apprentices. Poison? What are the Sith, common assassins? The better way to ensure true strength was passed on would be to have an all or nothing duel between master and apprentice. If the master won he could decide to keep training the apprentice or execute him/her and find a replacement. If the apprentice won, he/she would kill the master and become the new master and the circle starts again. Just Khajiit’s opinion. Much of it is subjective to one’s personal ideas about true power.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 29 2018, 01:17 AM
Post #669

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished watching The Last Jedi on 4k. I wasn't bothered so much by many of the things that disappointed me when I saw it the first time. But I would still rather Rian Johnson not direct another Star Wars movie.

Luke's weird milk-fixation is sort of becoming funny now. In the most recent edition of the Star Wars comic they even made a running joke out of it, with Luke and Wedge drinking in a bar, and of course Luke has milk... biggrin.gif

I did notice something at the very end of Last Jedi that I had not caught before. When the boy goes out to look at the stars, he reaches for a broom to sweep with. His hand never makes it to the broom. Instead the broom flies the last half a foot or so into his hand. That kid is a future Jedi. A nice touch.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 29 2018, 02:12 AM
Post #670

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 28 2018, 07:17 PM) *

That kid is a future Jedi. A nice touch.

Or a future Sith depending on how angry he is about his folks making him sweep the floor tongue.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Apr 15 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #671

Master
Group Icon

It will be mine. OH YES! It will be mine..

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 16 2018, 01:56 AM
Post #672

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 29 2018, 01:17 AM) *

I just finished watching The Last Jedi on 4k. I wasn't bothered so much by many of the things that disappointed me when I saw it the first time. But I would still rather Rian Johnson not direct another Star Wars movie.

Luke's weird milk-fixation is sort of becoming funny now. In the most recent edition of the Star Wars comic they even made a running joke out of it, with Luke and Wedge drinking in a bar, and of course Luke has milk... biggrin.gif

Heh, Mark Hamill did mention his irritation at them making room for alien milk and tities and not a mourning/funeral scene.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Apr 16 2018, 03:11 AM
Post #673

Master
Group Icon

I remember when I was watching The Force Awakens and small part of me wanted Kylo Rin to be Luke Skywalker playing both sides both Rebels and First Order.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Apr 20 2018, 02:14 AM
Post #674

Master
Group Icon

Star Wars Corner is back at my house biggrin.gif .

IPB Image

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Apr 28 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #675

Master
Group Icon

Whoever at Hasbro thought of this needs to be slapped...HARD!!!

https://youtu.be/UM55BYsswWY

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Apr 28 2018, 06:16 PM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 4 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #676

Ancient
Group Icon

IPB Image

May the 4th be with you!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post May 4 2018, 11:51 PM
Post #677

Master
Group Icon

May the Cage be with you.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 5 2018, 03:11 PM
Post #678

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ May 4 2018, 05:51 PM) *

That is... horrible beyond words.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post May 5 2018, 05:44 PM
Post #679

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 5 2018, 09:11 AM) *

That is... horrible beyond words.

I didn't want to have to do this but you've left me with no choice...I have to beautify you. When the procedure is over you'll love all that is the great and beautiful Nicholas Cage. This won't hurt a bit tongue.gif .

IPB Image

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post May 31 2018, 10:07 AM
Post #680

Master
Group Icon

Enfys Nest’s design AND combat badassery tho

Mmmmmmmmmmmm that some good ish right there fam hit me up with it more tho

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post

49 Pages V « < 32 33 34 35 36 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:37 PM