Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Erosion, this is great
raistlin
post Sep 30 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Evoker

I read in a gamepro magizine recently that the plant life grows...actually grows,and they have develeped some kind of erosion system.That is awsome.Any comments?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ShogunSniper
post Oct 1 2005, 01:14 AM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

somehow i doubt the erosion, but i would not be surprised if in the spring all the grass was long and stuff while in winter everything was short and dead.

--------------------
War is over if you want it.
+Quote Post
Ambberfox
post Oct 1 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #3

Knower
Group Icon

hm, I think this might actually be true, erosion would make the whole landscape look a lot more realistic. I think I heard something similiar but I can't remember where

--------------------
"One day before Oblivion is released, you'd better buy the best hardware components available for money..." - Todd Howard
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Oct 1 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #4

Knower
Group Icon

If I remember correctly, erosion is applied during world generation, but does not actually occur in-game. This means you'll encounter places that have been eroded, but they won't erode any more by the next time you see them.
+Quote Post
the-anti-neravarine
post Oct 8 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #5

Evoker

in E3 thing he says that NPC´s can steal,GROW, or buy food to eat that must mean plants grow
+Quote Post
ShogunSniper
post Oct 8 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

i think the growing might just be limited to how it was in MW though. the plant is a static object with an inventory you can take food from. after a month the food comes back.

could be wrong though.

--------------------
+Quote Post
the-anti-neravarine
post Oct 8 2005, 09:29 PM
Post #7

Evoker

QUOTE(ShogunSniper @ Oct 8 2005, 05:20 PM)
i think the growing might just be limited to how it was in MW though.  the plant is a static object with an inventory you can take food from.  after a month the food comes back.

could be wrong though.

I think you´re right but what do I know you could be a cyborg alien dog-beast who´s secretly working for The illuminatti feeding TES players false information or you could just be a shogun Sniper
+Quote Post
ShogunSniper
post Oct 10 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

what?

--------------------
+Quote Post
jchamber
post Feb 6 2006, 04:29 AM
Post #9

Finder
Group Icon

In one of the TESCS OB bits it clearly states that erosion is a applied factor at geography creation, and does not continue to take place while you play. On plants, I would guess that they don't let the trees just grow and grow, or fall over and rot, but the seasonal effects are more than possible, but I have not heard anything hinting at it in the dev stuff so far, maybe they thought about it already or will now. I doubt that grass will grow between "last seed 1" and "last seed 20", (when the weather would be favorable) but it would be kinda kewl...."but I don't wanna get a lawnboy for my other 6 houses honey...." Another thing that might be thought about is if plants could be targeted for small fires or if you could wilt it with a AoE ice spell....that would be freaking AWESOME.

--------------------
This is AP Erebus's baby, but I intend to help
(VVclick for site linkage)
+Quote Post
Red
post Feb 6 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mplantinga @ Oct 1 2005, 07:42 PM)
If I remember correctly, erosion is applied during world generation, but does not actually occur in-game. This means you'll encounter places that have been eroded, but they won't erode any more by the next time you see them.

Yeah, thats what I found. The soil will already have the effects of erosion and such done before you enter the game. Appearently its more about the current form than a changing effect.

QUOTE(the-anti-neravarine @ Oct 8 2005, 08:29 PM)
I think you´re right but what do I know you could be a cyborg alien dog-beast who´s secretly working for The illuminatti feeding TES players false information or you could just be a shogun Sniper

Please don't spam. If you want to just chat, go to the Coffee shop in the general forum.

--------------------
//LEFT ARM PULLS TRIGGER, RIGHT ARM SHRUGS SHOULDER//TRANSMISSION ENDED
+Quote Post
Darkwing
post Feb 6 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #11

Master Gimp
Group Icon

The game engine has an erosion system for world-creation. The world will remain static post-creation. So as of now - without tweaks - the game world is final and there will be no further 'erosion' (aside from mod landscapes)

On plant growth - i would presume it to be insane if the plants actually 'grew' in real time. That would eat up processor power like no tomorrow (the entire world is covered in flora) and the devs probably (rightfully) figured players wouldn't actually stand there waiting for a plant to grow. It will simply pop up when the player is out of view.

Naturally this is mostly speculation based on logic.
+Quote Post
Curly_G_
post Feb 7 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #12

Finder
Group Icon

Maybe the foliage just slowly blends into a different sprite over seasons, such as yellower and shorter as it gets colder, like the northern grass sprites appear further south for a while. If they programed the plants to behave to certain weathers, then all that is left is changing the appearance to a sprite that already exists. Maybe while a player "waits" or enters an indoor area they change.
It's possible, but who knows.
Erosion will definately not take place during the game.

--------------------
Curly G .co.uk

+Quote Post
AP Erebus
post Feb 10 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #13

Unregistered

as far as I understand it, there is not seasons as such. More that the weather changes as you move from place to place... Like in MW...

In the north it will be snowier (I assume) and in the south, hotter (maybe tongue.gif) and in the middle, normal kinda weather, sunny and rainy...
+Quote Post
Curly_G_
post Feb 12 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #14

Finder
Group Icon

Yeah, I read that too... but we can dream!

--------------------
Curly G .co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:53 AM