18 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Saga of Joan of Arkay, A Morrowind Main Quest Story
macole
post Dec 3 2022, 06:33 PM
Post #241

Mouth
Group Icon

Battles with a hunger, skeletons, bonelords, various other undead, and the dreaded rat will certainly tax your supplies. The wise Morrowind adventurer always carries a, Intervention scroll, just in case.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 4 2022, 01:55 AM
Post #242

Ancient
Group Icon

Leaving the End of the World sounds like a good idea on general principles.

Uh oh, paralyzed by a critter. I am guessing a Hunger maybe?

Joanie wisely retreats and trades space for time to recover and buff herself up.

Round Two! Fight!

The armiger summons an ancestor ghost for a rat? Talk about overkill. But since she is Bouyant, at least she floats...

Ulyne meets the fate of all who have more sand than sense. Joanie is wise - methinks - to withdraw once more and prepare for round two, just as she did against the Hunger.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 4 2022, 09:55 PM
Post #243

Paladin
Group Icon

The good news is that the weather is pleasant and free of ash storms. And that Joan has truly mastered her waterwalking spell. The bad news is. . . well, everything else. Hungry daedra, incompetent help and formidable foes.

Ulyne must have been young. After all, there are bold warriors and there are old warriors. . . but there are no old bold warriors. Joan is blessed with the good sense and self-awareness to perhaps become an old warrior some day.

It will be interesting to see if Joan returns to Vas and, if so, what kind of arrangements she makes to help ensure success.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Dec 7 2022, 02:12 AM
Post #244

Finder
Group Icon

Dang, Joan's been in Morrowind for close to a year now! How time flies when you're trudging through ash.

I know I've commented on this before, but I still love how you incorporate all of the game's oddities, like NPCs not reacting to a monster in their midst, or using canned dialogue. It adds to the feel of being in a very strange place.

Likewise, marching around the islands means walk on water of some kind is invaluable. I'd forgotten this until I tried playing a character who didn't have any trained alteration. Swimming is not fun. Slaughterfish are even less fun.

Plenty in Morrowind will tell you to retreat from a fight that's above your level, and Joan's clever enough to act on that. The Armiger either wasn't, or didn't have time to. But dedicated crusader that she is, I suspect Joan's only going to get stronger and come back to finish the job.

+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 11 2022, 03:23 PM
Post #245

Councilor
Group Icon

Hello, how is everyone doing this Xmas season? santaclaus.gif Today's story will probably be the last one for a while, as I'm going to be needing to take a break as the holidays get nearer. sad.gif santa.gif dry.gif

Chances are I'll continue writing Joan's tale silently, because I'm currently too addicted to Morrowind to just give it up! Not just with Joanie, but also I've still been gaming with two others: Ana Khannda (dark elf archer doing Thieves Guild and Hlaalu) and my new Nordic gal, Fay Daway. She'll probably mostly stick to Mages Guild, maybe I'll put some mod-added quests in for her.

Thanks you all, and here's the final Joan of 2022. cake.gif Have some cake.

@WellTemperedClavier: Yes, well in Earth time I've been gaming with Joan since spring of 2021, in her world it's been about half a year. smile.gif Last Seed (when the game begins) is August, I think. And now she's up to Sun's Dawn, which is February. Yup, almost half a year.

Thanks, and yea, that habit of "what they say/do is what goes into the story" sort of goes back to the very first table gaming. I recently learned that when Gary Gygax and his pals began gaming, they'd use figureines. Whatever the figureine had in their hands is what they'd use in-game. So if a knight-figure visually had a halberd, this is what he'd carry as Gary would roll with him in the game. I'm pretty sure that's how me pals in high school also approached it. I think that's where that comes from The NPC says or does this, and so this is what goes into the story, that is.

In Laprima's tale, and also with my Fallout gal Vicious, it's just a higher-evolved version. I still write mostly what they say, but a lot of time their words are from one of my homemade quests. Although I do also incorporate more imagination here and there. Got to, sometimes!

Yeah, slaughterfish suck! šŸ¦ˆ And yes, she's going to finish the job, eventually she will. Daris's ass is grass.

@Acadian: it's too bad you never played Morrowind (right?) Then again, it is a very clunky game. It's very awkward to watch your character hit an enemy for instance, and nothing happened because really they missed. huh.gif I know you've played Baldur's Gate, but that's not really the same. In BG everything is turn-based. In Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind though, combat is real-time, yet it also behaves like an old turn-based game. If your character misses during BG, at least you pause the game, and strategize what to do next.

I get the feeling that Ulyne was young, yes. *nods* Probably slightly more experienced than Joan, but perhaps hadn't as much real-world experience. I feel sort of bad (and Joan really feels bad) about how that turned out. Been wondering how that could have been done better. Should have kept the Armiger solely in that initial room for instance, rather than telling her to follow.

Then again, those NPCs often do what they want, anyway. sad.gif Still though...

@SubRosaFlorens: That's an enjoyable phrase to write, right? "She turned and walked out of The End Of The World." bigsmile.gif Or walked into it.

I'm also glad you caught that, too. She summoned a ghost to fight a rat! Overkill for sure, but up against some bonelords, her Ancestral Ghost might as well been a paper hat.

@MacoleVampireHunter: Using Intervention scrolls, there's always that mixed feeling of "phew, gotten out of that situation", but also "GRRRRARARA!!!" Like, I just want to b34t some t00nz!

But yes, Joanie is always well-prepared, that's an ingrained habit for sure. smile.gif I wonder what would happen if Joan and Jandaga met. Joanie's based loosely on Joan of Arc; how would she react if coming upon the Psychedelic Warrior. ā˜®

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 11 2022, 05:13 PM
Post #246

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XXXIX - The Calling of Arkay

31 Morning Star (Day 169) to 4 Sun's Dawn (Day 173)

During this time, Joan spends a couple days in Gnisis. She attempts to restock her supply of potions and rations, before giving up and heading off to Ald'ruhn. With over 300 gold in her possession, she's hoping to purchase at least ten potions of healing, magic-restoration, magical-resistance, paralyzation-curing, and so on.

Unfortunately, Gnisis does not have its own Mages Guild, nor is there any sort of magical shop to be found. The chaplain of Fort Darius sells a few items, but they're weaker stuff: potions sold for a bargain, or for cheap. The sort of libations one would quaff after a meager fight with an alit, perhaps.

If she were to be entirely honest though, the crusader from Cyrodiil had become impatient. She'd been bested by a lowlife patron of foulness who dwells within darkness, and now she's in a hurry to get back and defeat him. It took maybe a day for her to realize this, as she shopped and prayed within Gnisis. Once she sees the situation more clearly, she comes to the conclusion that it'd be bad strategy for her to quickly head back to the isle of Vas. Not every foe can be beaten right away. The necromancer known as Daris Adram lives remotely, with little chance of harming innocents. Vas's nearest main Sheogorad inhabitation, Joan notes, happens to be Dagon Fel, whose residents hadn't even heard of Daris. Perhaps it'd be better for her to wait a bit. Gather her wits, before rushing into a series of traps and bad decisions.

She forces herself to slow down. Makes some plans. She decides to walk to Ald'ruhn, where there'd at least be a Mages Guild to visit. She'd also be able to gather all the potions and medicines she could carry, and mostly for free.

Still, Joan finds herself overcome with guilt concerning the death of Ulyne Henim, the Tribunal Armiger she'd literally just met. Henim had been waiting outside of Vas when Joan arrived. They had sparred a bit, comparing each other's fighting styles. They even practiced their methods of warfare on a rabid rat, before stalking into the tower, defeating that skeleton.

Joan's incredibly saddened by this. She feels regret. What could have been done to prevent the Armiger's death? Was she at least partially responsible for Henim's demise?

Maybe it's the fact that things were going so well, at first. Several others had been lost at Joan's side over the past few months: two Imperial guards, one Imperial archer, Jub the orc adventurer, and finally, the Argonian she'd met in Molag Amur, who'd been stranded by that ash storm. All of these folks had willingly followed her, unknowing their fates were soon to come. But for some reason, the crusader cannot get her latest fallen companion out of her mind.

"...And Ulyne, though she attacked with valiance, apparently had not the forethought to temper her assault within the tower, for the menaces of Vas were too great for the both of us to besiege," Joan confessed at one point to Chaplain Ogrul, Fort Darius's priest. "I... found myself choosing to spare myself. Perhaps was this the way of the coward?" she asked the priest, facing the truth head on. "Perhaps. But, it was my presence of mind that one must also divert oneself at such times. To fight another day, as the saying goes."

"Your actions show promise," Ogrul answered, apparently unsure of what to say. Not all big, burly orcs command battlefields, after all. Some of them maintain shrines for the Imperials. Or run their own bookstores. But, maybe due to the average orc's upbringing within Orismer culture (in which such traits as aggression and intimidation are often preferred), sensitive words aren't as likely. "Fight well!"

"I wish to," Joan admitted. "'Tis why I am in such a frenzy to make my return. I feel I must avenge the falling of my short-lived comrade."

Every wager of warfare, when he or she took up whichever oath or cause or calling was placed upon their shoulders, also knew that one of the outcomes of such a cause could possibly be their ultimate demise. When it came to combat, the phrase 'every man for himself' often did apply. Sure, it was pertinent for armies and factions to fight together, to assist one another. But ultimately, each individual also claimed his or her own responsibility, when it came to mistakes and mishaps, such as what just occurred up in Vas. In some cases, things did not go as planned.

Perhaps it was due to this way of thinking that Joan did not experience much remorse when her earlier travelers had lost their lives. The guards she'd persuaded to leave their posts, they'd come with her knowing (it was assumed) they could someday meet their fates. Same went for the orc she'd hired just outside of Molag Mar. He had joined for typical reasons: eager to find gold, adventure, and fame. Yet he'd also fallen, despite referencing all his past accomplishments.

Joan had called for the final rites of each of them, hoping to send them off into the afterlife with dignity. It was the best she could do, considering her faith. But that was all. These others had joined her, they'd fought by her side, they'd eventually succumbed to final destinies. And Joan Marie, former acolyte of Arkay's temple in Cheydinhal? - In each case, she had moved on.

For some reason, the death of Ulyne Henim is different. For some reason, the need for contemplation concerning Ulyne's death is great, is in fact necessary.

IPB Image

She walks from Gnisis to Ald'ruhn, weather fair and sun shining bright, Joan finds herself musing upon the role of the Gods in her daily life. As a youngster she'd not really put much absolute thought into making these sorts of choices. You hurt yourself, whether through lost love or the sting of a bee? - You called for Mara. You felt you needed redemption or justice of some kind; perhaps somebody had wronged you? - You hoped for intervention from Julianos, perhaps. You wished to perform well as you traded a shipment of cockles? - That would be Zenithar. Overall, the presence of each of these Aedra had permeated Joan's life in small ways during her upbringing; perhaps a night's dream here, a daily set of inspirations there.

But now, as she walks upon the road to Ald'ruhn, hoping to find a signpost that'll guide her there without drama, but finding herself momentarily lost! once again, Joan understands that it's Arkay who's become the most prominent deity of her daily life.

Arkay, son of Akatosh. 'Lord of the Wheel of Life', 'God of the Circle of Life and Death'. Arkay's domain includes funerals, last rites, and many of the very things the crusader happens to be participating in on a near-daily basis.

"Arkay..." the crusader from Cheydinhal muses as she walks along, lost in thought. Pondering the path before her. Conclusions begin to be drawn. She can almost sense the bearded man portrayed upon the stained-glass windows of her hometown chapel, walking along with her. Looking over her. Guiding her notions, directing her towards the fate of others past, and others future. Joan ponders and wonders...

But now is not the time.

"Youuu s'wit!!!"

As a nearby brigand comes clambering down from one side (brandishing his polearm to threatening effect), and a nix hound comes bounding from another (thinking the two-legged female-person striding nearby will make a nice afternoon meal before sundown), Joan Marie the Crusader from Cheydinhal grabs for her magical mace.

- Crash! Bang! Smash! -

Pretty soon the fight will be over. No doubt Joan'll be the victor. While somewhere unseen, the Lord of the Wheel of Life shall claim yet one more.

~ The End, Season Two, Year 2022~

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 12 2022, 11:58 AM
Post #247

Ancient
Group Icon

Joan licks her wounds, mourns fallen comrades, and begins preparations anew.

I liked Joan's self-reflection through this dark night of the soul, and how of all the Divines, she now turns to Arkay. Now we see the first hints of how she will eventually gain her title "of Arkay".

Crash! Boom! Bam! Joan sends Arkay another soul for the wheel. That was a nice ending.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 12 2022, 09:41 PM
Post #248

Paladin
Group Icon

No, I never did play Morrowind. I started TES with Oblivion in 2007 and quickly joined the BethSoft forums where I learned from all the Morrowelitists that Morrowind the the Threeā€™s gift to gaming and that Oblivion was a dumbed down inferior excuse for a game. Well. . . I was actively playing Oblivion and thought it was a great game. So, naturally, I discounted the Morrowelitists completely. laugh.gif

I loved Joanā€™s reflections upon those who followed and trusted her but did not return. They were all qualified to make their own choices. I assume a Tribuanal Armiger is not without significant training to bear that title. What seems different in the loss of Ulyne though is that the fatal encounter did not ultimately result in victory. That Joan retreated rather than face the same fate as Ulyne. Such things are good to ponder but I am confident that Joanā€™s more measured and prudent approach to battles is the wise path. That does not lesson oneā€™s grief for fallen comrades though.

Buffy empathizes well with Joan regarding finding the right ā€˜fitā€™ when it comes to a Divine patron. Arkay does indeed seem a good fit for Joan. I like how you punctuate that at the very end with an attack along the road.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 12 2022, 10:59 PM
Post #249

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Dec 12 2022, 03:41 PM) *

No, I never did play Morrowind. I started TES with Oblivion in 2007 and quickly joined the BethSoft forums where I learned from all the Morrowelitists that Morrowind the the Threeā€™s gift to gaming and that Oblivion was a dumbed down inferior excuse for a game. Well. . . I was actively playing Oblivion and thought it was a great game. So, naturally, I discounted the Morrowelitists completely. laugh.gif

I had the same arc with Oblivion and Morrowind. I did eventually buy Morrowind when it was on sale however, just to see what it was like. I was not impressed. It is no accident that now whenever I get a hankering to travel to Vvardenfell, I do so via Morroblivion.

--------------------
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Dec 13 2022, 02:05 AM
Post #250

Finder
Group Icon

You know, it's funny: I actually ended up doing the quest in Vas.

It's surprisingly hard given it's the first quest in its chain, though maybe they assume you've already done some FG quests in Balmora. I couldn't keep Ulyne alive, either, though I didn't exactly feel guilty about it--she charged so far ahead, that there was no way for me to keep her alive.

But this is an interesting moment of introspection for Joan. Her quest on Vvardenfell gave her a certain level of forward momentum, but you can only do that for so long before it catches up with you and you have to actually think about things. She knew combat was part of her vocation, but she might not have reckoned with how it'd affect her farther down the line.

Also interesting how her focus on the Divines changes. Polytheism feels pretty abstract to me, but her development does make sense. Different gods might appeal more at different stages of life.

As for feeling better, the chaplain did his best but his Morrowind-style dialogue just isn't well-suited for consolation, alas.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 3 2023, 07:41 PM
Post #251

Councilor
Group Icon

I already returned to her game a couple weeks ago, now it looks like I am going to be returning to Joanie's story. Let me refresh her latest stats page though, first. Allow me to geek out for a moment, before whatever chapter comes next gets posted. cool.gif

---------------------------------
Joan of Arkay

Created: May 19, 2013 3:40 PM

Race: Breton (Human)

In-game Birthday: Morningstar 23, Year 409

Level: 14

ST: 16.2
DX: 13.6
IQ: 14.9

Sign: The Ritual (Taurus)

Alignment: Lawful Good

Class: Holy Knight (Morrowind)
Saint (custom, Oblivion)

Major Skills: Block, Heavy Armor, Restoration, Short Blade, Speechcraft

Minor Skills: Athletics, Blunt Weapons, Conjuration, Destruction, Mysticism

Tabletop Skills: Alertness (2), Axe/Mace (2), Charisma (2), Literacy (1), Sword (2), Shield (1), Warrior (2)

Spells:: Detect Life (1), Fire/Frost (1), Heal (0), Light (0), Turn Undead (0), Water Walking (1)

-------------------------------------

And here are her latest quests. This should give y'all a look at the inner workings of how I keep track of her life!

Joan of Arkay QUESTS

Joan is in front of Rayna Drolan's shack. This shack is on the island just north of Sheogorad Isle which is mostly covered in gray-green colored paint. -- So... to get to Vos means to head West Southwest from there. Basically she can water walk there if she's got enough mana. The island with Vos on it is the next one to the east (NOT north).

Follow the steps below (roughly)

2). Go to Vas. Vas is way the [censored] to the north on the large island, so take the boat from Khuul. Speak to "Ulyne Henim". Ulyne is a Buoyant Armiger, whatever that is. Once we find her, kill the necromancers inside Vas. *UPDATE* Ulyne is deceased; this mission is too hard. Joan can do it, but she needs to show up with a lot of potions.

When she goes back into Vas, hopefully the skeleton champions and bonelords won't respawn. They are not toggled to respawn in the CS.

4). Go to Ald-ruhn and find Hassour Zainsubani. Start looking for him in the Ald Skar Inn. Once we find him, find out what he likes "and get him a gift." *DONE* return to Caius

5). Ebonheart > Kaye. Head to Suran, and then to Mount Kand. Trying to find a magical Silver Staff of Shaming.

Anytime). Find 5 corkbulbs for the Ebonheart ingredient guy *DONE*

6). Larrius Varo (Fort Moonmoth) wants Joan to find 5 members of the Camonna Tong. These CT members are bribing a magistrate in Balmora. Not sure what Joan is supposed to do. Speak to them? Convince them to stop bribing? Pwn them? This quest is lowest on her current agenda.

Unrelated: Hasphat Antabolis also gave Joan a key. This key fits a door in Lower Arkngthand, whenever she has time to go there. There is no quest associated with this,

----------------------------------------

MAIN QUEST

Find Hassour Zainsubani, somewhere in Ald-ruhn. Caius seems to think this wealthy trader is in the Ald Skar Inn

Find out what Zainsobani likes, and get him a gift. Then you should give him the gift, and see if he will tell you about the Ashlanders and the Nerevarine cult. Then report back to me." *DONE*

----------------------------------

Imperial Legion

Fort Moonmoth -- Nothing from Radd Hart-Heart atm.

Larrius Varro: there are five folks of the Cammona Tong who are bribing a magistrate in Balmora to allow prisoners early freedom. I am not sure what we're supposed to do (kill them?) so Joan can maybe just find them and see what dialog they offer.

----------------------------------

IMPERIAL CULT -- Ebonheart

Kaye Quest: Linus Iulus disappeared, and was last seen leaving Suran headed east. Go to Mount Kand, find the Silver Staff of Shaming, and bring it back to Kaye.

Synnolian Tonifus: wants 5 corkbulbs. Should be easy enough to find.

Iulas Truptor:

--------------------------------

FIGHTERS GUILD --

Ald-ruhn: go to Vas and meet with "Ulyne Henim". Ulyne is a Buoyant Armiger, whatever that is. Once we find her, kill the necromancers inside Vas. Vas can be found on the map; it's way the [censored] to the north on an island. Take a ferry there perhaps. *DONE*

Balmora --

Go to South Wall Cornerclub and get the Code Book from Sartilde.

UPDATE: Sartilde really hates Joan! We can't get information from her about it. Joan has an amulet which fortifies Speech, but she's going to need more than that to make this quest work.

UPDATE 2: the rare book store in Vivec's Foreignt Quarter Waistworks sells Charm scrolls.

Vivec--------

She did not take the next FG quest for Vivec. I think it's the one which has us doing something evil in Seyda Neen.

RANDOM

Vivec: Two Ordinators in Vivec were killed. The suspect seems to be a sorcerer or vampire. Go to The Office of the Watch in the Hall of Justice to learn more. (Not sure where this hall can be found, the quest doesn't say).

UPDATE: Somebody told Joan there are now seven victims. As much as she wants to help, this is a very advanced quest for her, for now. Wait until Level 10

Vivec: Morani Uvelas says her husband is missing. He is a skooma addict, but Morani thinks he might be infected with corprus. Interestingly, she suspects her husband Danar could be in the Underworks. Could this be where the Sixth House is?

Sadirth Mora -- There is a rumor about a haunted place called South Turret Bed Chamber. Every time the place gets excorcised, the haunting comes right back. The rumor is that a Necromancer is the one behind this.

That one is rather low on her list right now.

-----------------------------------------

CLIFF RACERS -- Maximus Julii will give Joan 40 drakes for each cliff racer plume she brings him. He can be found wandering outside of Buckmoth Fort (Ald-ruhn area).

STORAGE

Balmora FG: 202 gold here, along with assorted other clothes, keys, repair hammers, etc.

Ebonheart Imperial Cult: the Cupboard by her bed has several magic items: Belt of Stendarr, Maran Amulet (both of these are not as powerful as her Septim Ring), and a ring which detects keys. The ring could become important at some point.

NOTES

Make a touch version of a Heal spell for her followers.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jun 4 2023, 06:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 4 2023, 06:32 PM
Post #252

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XL - Daris Adram

The sorcerer known as Daris Adram dwells within the darkness of Vas, a Velothi tower located on one of the northernmost islands of Sheogorad.

IPB Image

Daris had been living in Vas for nearly a year when the intruder who would upset his sequestered lifestyle was called to make rid of him. Until then, he considered himself lucky to be here; lucky to have been able to ensconce himself in such a remote fortress. Fortress, hmmā€¦ such a pertinent noun. Here in his fortress, he could practice his foul magics for as much time as he desired. He could dedicate himself to whatever whims he pleased. Here in Vas, his will and his desire for progress had been furthered, unimpeded.

No one could tell Daris he couldn't do whatever he damn-well pleased. Even House Telvanni, unscrupulously decadent when it came to measures pertaining to willful magics, no longer had control over his experiments! - So, not only had his zest for sorcery improved, but he'd become quite the necromancer as well, surrounding himself with a dozen or so undead minions to ensure his life of secrecy could last for decades.

Daris had somehow arranged to pay for the tower in advance by that point, now all he had to do was move in.

Reluctantly though, he hadn't arrived at Vas alone. The sorcerer had allowed a few other Telvanni associates, those he trusted most, to come along with him. Every marshal needs his denizens, after all. Theyā€™d boarded a boat which departed from Sadrith Mora to Dagon Fel, and then paid a local fisherman (who unknowingly became Darisā€™s first necromantic victim) to take them to Vas. Together, they'd cleared the tower of dust, detritus, and cobwebs. Now it was ready for long-term inhabitation. And though the others who'd joined him were not as devout or despicable as Daris, together they created a sanctuary, one which was even more formidable than similar Velothi structures on the mainland.

And why was Vas more formidable than these others? Vas had a natural barrier; one which guaranteed unexpected guests were few and far between. It was surrounded ... by acres and fathoms of seawater.

Woe to those who'd somehow managed to locate his lair! - The few who'd been unlucky enough to do so, and then had continued inside the structure (curious seafarers and such) quickly found themselves wishing they'd hadn't.

"And someday... I shall rule the world!" Daris exclaimed aloud to his somewhat doubtful cohorts, a week before meeting his demise.

----------------

It was on the second day of Sunā€™s Dawn when troubles began. An intruder (perhaps two of them) had managed to find and invade his precious hideout. Several of Darisā€™s ā€˜petsā€™: several skeletons and bonelords that is, had been shattered and crumpled in various underground chambers. A woman had been found as well, though sheā€™d been deceased by the time one of Darisā€™s associates had come across her unfortunate corpse.

ā€œBring her to the Room of Altars!ā€ Daris demanded gruffly. ā€œIā€™ll use her for my latest trial!ā€

Debentien Sylbenitte, one of Darisā€™s underlings, dragged the body of Ulyne Henim down a set of corridors and into the room where ā€˜the trialsā€™ took place. Here, she would become yet another animated, shambling carcass, wandering the halls of Vas, moaning like a mindless spook, protecting the towerā€™s inhabitants against any future invaders just like the Armiger sheā€™d once been. ā€“ To their dismay, however, it was soon discovered that performing any feats of necromancy upon Ulyneā€™s remains would be impossible. Her body had been prepared somehow; prepared in such a way that sheā€™d be able to continue on toward an unseen, hallowed afterlife while her physical remains refused to accept reanimation.

Cornmeal had been piled and arranged in several areas of the room, the proper incantations had been recited, the proper magics cast. Despite this, the woman whoā€™d been lifted onto their reanimating slab hadnā€™t budged.

ā€œCould this be the workings of a devout follower ā€¦ of Arkay?!ā€ Daris mused angrily while his cohorts shrugged and worried.

He didnā€™t have to wait much longer for an answer.

IPB Image

On the tenth day of Sun's Dawn and the Year 428, there was a ruckus in the chamber just below the room Daris Adram used for his rest. Daris had managed to capture and then station an actual Dremora lord (three of them, actually) in the immediate areas just below the apex of Vas's actual tower. Yet somebody was just below his bedroom, fighting the lord who'd been posted there. And if someone was currently fighting this lord, this could only mean that whoever the attacker was, he'd somehow managed to defeat all Adram's other minions.

"But... how can this be?"

His fortress had been penetrated, and to this degree? All his skeletons, bonelords, Daedra, and associates, beaten and bested?

Daris listened closely, choosing not to get directly involved as of yet. Heard his downstairs lord get slammed by some sort of magical weapon; the sound of frost magic zinging through the demon's fiery skin was unmistakable. Whoever was attacking, he'd had to withdraw a couple times, perhaps to heal up.

Finally, the sound of bootsteps, climbing the ramp to Adram's lair.

"Prepare for thy doom, necromancer!"

To his surprise, it wasn't a 'he' who'd been attacking. A woman, a Breton wearing Imperial Legion armors, her hair tied behind her head in a ponytail like some little schoolgirl, came stomping toward him. How can this be?

"Today you'll draw your last breath, s'wit!" Daris warned, hoping he was right.

But it hadn't taken long for her to take the sorcerer's life. Ironically, he'd been easier to defeat than his multitude of pets; his variety of magics apparently not as powerful or practiced as he'd thought. As Daris succumbed to the litany of blows and slams from the woman's powerful mace, which was indeed imbued with frost magic, his opponent found herself bewildered that the Telvanni wizard wasn't as hardy as she'd been led to believe.

After the sorcerer had fallen, Joan of Cheydinhal (now realizing herself as a devout disciple of Arkay) took a few minutes to catch her breath. She then prepared Daris's corpse for afterlife, reading a few passages from one of her books while making a variety of sullen gestures. This way, no one could someday come across the man's fallen body and then decide to use his reanimating slab in an attempt at bringing him back.

Evil or not, despicable or not, every individual deserved proper respect as they continued toward eternity.

------------------------------------------

Daris Adram (or what's left of him)

------------------------------------------

Notes: Daris was certainly not as tough as we'd been thinking. It took two or three days to defeat all of Vas's enemies one by one, drinking potions during combat, and resting in unoccupied areas of the lair to gain her stats back. But Daris himself was downed in one session.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jun 6 2023, 06:43 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 5 2023, 12:26 AM
Post #253

Ancient
Group Icon

Vas makes me think of the vas deferens.

Daris sounds like someone who belongs in the vas deferens: a real dick.

Bonelord sounds like a porn name.

That is neat that Ulyne can't be reanimated as undead, thanks to Joan of Arkay. She always ends up getting killed in this mission.

"Meet thine doom!" sayeth the ponytail Breton commando!

I liked Joan performing the last rites on even one as despicable as Daris. She is transitioning from Joan of Cheydinhal to Joan of Arkay.

--------------------
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Jun 5 2023, 03:20 AM
Post #254

Finder
Group Icon

I was wondering what Joan's been up to! Appreciate the synopsis to help us catch up.

Daris does seem like a pretty classical rogue wizard. And Vvardenfell's just chock full of places for their ilk to hide out. I also like how Daris brought along a few companions. Cleaning an abandoned fortress is an intense job, too much for any one wizard, regardless of power.

And it looks like Daris has some unexpected company. I like how the POV switches to Daris for this chapter. Gives an interesting perspective.

Ah, classic problem of the evil overlord: too high and mighty to help their minions, even though doing so would likely lead to a better outcome (for the evil overlord, anyway).

Another triumph for Joan! Funny that, at this point, Daris wasn't even as threatening as she'd been led to believe.
+Quote Post
macole
post Jun 5 2023, 05:51 AM
Post #255

Mouth
Group Icon

Respect for the dead or just a precaution to keep the dead, dead. It is wise to perform the ritual over the recently departed.

Joan of Arkay has an illustrated Book of the Dead, nice.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 5 2023, 08:22 PM
Post #256

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome back to Joan. It was fun to see this episode mostly from the perspective of the doomed Daris. As SubRosa said, neat to see Joan transitioning from Joan of Cheydinhal to Joan of Arkay.

Daris was powerful but that power was mostly in his fortress and minions. With his minions defeated, he (thankfully) fell fairly easily to Joan.

Sanctifying Darisā€™ corpse is a happy confluence of both the right and smart thing to do, as macole pointed out. Sure donā€™t want anyone bringing him back to (un)life.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 10 2023, 03:00 AM
Post #257

Councilor
Group Icon

"Welcome back to Joan."

Thanks, Acadian! I am happy to return to Joanie. Different style from Laprima, and all that. You may notice I have switched from mostly present-tense to mostly past-tense for this next season of JoA. Which reflects the fact that in the beginning I was mostly writing as I played (Kahreem and some Lady Saga from way back were written in this way as well). But nowadays I'm writing just over half after whatever latest quests & story are done. šŸ“š

Writing from the perspective of an NPC mixes things up a bit, this is true. Daris didn't know what was coming to him. And the fact that he didn't come after Joan, even though she was right below fighting his Dremora Lord, is just a limitation of Morrowind's NPC combat detection. But still, it had to be explained in the story. So I like to imagine he was cowering. mellow.gif

----------------------

"It is wise to perform the ritual over the recently departed."

Absolutely. I have no idea if it's possible for a consecrate a corpse in Bethesda's lore; whether devotees of Arkay can do this or not. So that may be a bit of creative licensing. whistling.gif

Actually, UESP has this on their Arkay Lore page: His priests are staunch opponents of necromancy and all forms of the undead, and are empowered to bestow Arkay's blessings which prevent the forceful misuse of a mortal soul.[1] Thus, any body properly buried by a priest observing the proper rituals is protected by Arkay's Law from being raised as undead. āœ

So there we go. smile.gif

---------------------

"I was wondering what Joan's been up to! Appreciate the synopsis to help us catch up"

Hee hee, yeah. The synopsis is my messy notes-to-self as I switch from one character to the next. I wanted to show you all how silly the organizing gets. I'd be lost without those notes, though.

I play Bethesda games seasonally. If it's below 65 degrees F, I get interested in Skyrim, so that's pretty much October thru May. I cannot play a game full of snow if it's actually sunny and hot outside. I used to play Oblivion year-round, but over the past few years I've gotten more addicted to Morrowind. I tend to want to play MW when it's warmer here on Earth (late spring thru early or mid-fall).

Actually, I did not write what happened to Daris's friends. One of them attacked Joan when she met him, but the other two (two ladies) did not attack. So they're still in Vos. indifferent.gif They've got the entire place to themselves. kvright.gif

-------------------

"Daris sounds like someone who belongs in the vas deferens: a real dick"

What is vas deferens? *Bing* Oooooh.. sorry I asked!

""Meet thine doom!" sayeth the ponytail Breton commando!"

laugh.gif And the evildoer one-lines his own quip as well: "Some day, I shall rule the world!!"

Alright, well the next chapter's almost ready. It's gonna be a shortie.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 10 2023, 04:06 AM
Post #258

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XLI -- The Return to Caius

3 First Seed (Day 201), Year 428

Upon hearing the news that his charge had made it safely back into town, Caius Cosades breathed a sigh. She had returned! He'd been receiving occasional updates from 'sources': agents and informants located all over Vvardenfell. Last sighting of Joan had been in Caldera just a day ago. Still, a lot could happen in a few hours. It was always a relief when things were rolling along as planned.

...Not that there was any real steadfast ā€˜planā€™ involved when it came to this latest long-term mission, of course. Anyhow, she was back. Now all he had to do was wait a few hours more.

The knock on his door came late at night, and there she was.

IPB Image

This time she was wearing a demure tan robe, which Caius silently approved of. The robe's fabric was cheap, not costly, which meant she'd been blending in with the locals. They had chosen well when theyā€™d picked Joan Marie of Cheydinhal. Because little details like this could matter a lot, for those who were assigned tasks which could place them into precarious situations.

As always, she was barefoot.

"Are you here to discuss your orders, Joan of Cheydinhal?" Caius droned casually. "Or is there something else you want?"

She explained that she'd been successful with the Dunmer named Hassour Zainsubani, whom she'd found in the rear cellar of Ald-ruhn's Ald Skar Inn. As Caius had informed, Hassour was indeed an Ashlander who'd become a wealthy trader. And now he lived quite the comfortable life, here in this Redoran-sponsored township.

But to Joan's dismay, she learned Hassour was also a Thieves Guild operative of some sort. A criminal, in plain sight! - Thankfully, there was no need to get involved in any of the elf's day-to-day; he did not ask her to break into anyone's home or shop to satisfy decadent desire for a 'long-lost amulet' or some such, all he wanted was a book.

"'A book of poetry given to me by a stranger shows the giver respects me', he said."

"Ahh-hah," Caius sipped a glass of water.

"With the monies lent to fatten my purse," she said to Caius, "I was able to procure a copy of 'Ashlander Hymns' from the book-merchant right there in town, which I then delivered to Hassour within the hour. Fact of matter, the elf revealed a list of three books I could suss for him, two of which the book-merchant possessed at present upon his shelves: 'Ashlander Hymns', as mentioned, but also 'Words of the Wind'. Well..." Joan Marie blushed shyly, as though about to reveal a deep, dark secret shared only between friends. "...As a studious scholar myself, I could not but take pause, to arrange purchase of both these tomes, which I then perused within the confines of his shop."

She then began to summarize her thoughts on each book. "'Ashlander Hymns' is poetic indeed, nothing other than pure inspiration, which I examined to such delight." The young disciple smiled. "'Five Far Stars', on the other hand, praises the might of the Red Volcano (or seems to), which I must divulge caused my thoughts such consternation...such turmoil...such righteous indignation, which I then contained to great merit as Iā€¦"

"Enough talk!ā€ Caius growled. ā€œNo offense. Don't need to listen to you blabber all night!"

"Oh. Apologies! Ehm. But I must contend: thy quest for knowledge regarding the cult of the Nerevarine was indeed a success, as Hassour then dolefully attested."

"Thanks for your report," her superior replied. "But keep Zinsubani's notes on the Ashlanders. You'll need them."

"Thank ye, sire."

"I'm promoting you, and sending you to the Urshilaku camp to speak with Sul-Matuul and Nibani Macsa."

Joan waited quietly as the man looked at a journal, his lips moving in silence as he seemed to take serious regard over some deep thoughts of his. And then once again, a surprise from the man who'd been her unobtrusive director thus far.

"Before you go, I think it may be time to tell you what's going on."

ā€œAhā€¦going on?"

"Aye. Let's get to it."

Caius Cosades then spoke the words which would change the rest of Joan Marieā€™s turbulent, venturous life.

ā€”----------------------------------------------------

Joanieā€™s Overwhelming Quest Revelations

Water Walking

Lopovā€™d

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 10 2023, 02:47 PM
Post #259

Ancient
Group Icon

Joan of Cheydinhal, in her threadbare robe and barefoot, definitely makes for the humble penitent.

Poor Joanie is getting caught up in the poetry, but Caius the Abman is having none of it! laugh.gif

Well, Joan is off to the races now! Time to meet the Ashlanders and get the ball really going. I also suspect that Caius is going to drop the bomb on her that she is the Chosen One. Well, at the least the current one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 10 2023, 08:10 PM
Post #260

Paladin
Group Icon

Like Caius and SubRosa, I took note of Joanā€™s attire. Not only is the humility becoming on her but it is always nice to give an unassuming impression, then reap the benefits of being underestimated.

Joan is quite a student of literature it seems; Caius is not. tongue.gif

Another promotion. And an upcoming revelation it seems.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:23 AM