2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disappointed!, levitation appear to be out - confirmed
Neela
post Dec 29 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #1

Finder
Group Icon

I don't want this to become a rant thread, but I must admit I am extremely disappointed that levitation has been removed from this installment of the elder scrolls. It has apparently been confirmed by Pete that this is the case, however I couldnt find the exact quote that stated it. I was hoping that it was just further speculation about a misprint in some article. I didn't mind them removing a few weapons or streamlining the skills further. To me that just made this game just a tad different than its predecessors. However, finding that levitation is not going to available... was the first really negative thing to hit me about the game. Most of my characters used levitate from time to time. I never really used it to exploit the game... since alot of combat took place indoors anyway. I am a big explorer at heart and I like to get into places that were hard to find or access. Levitation was necessary for alot of this or just to get out of a rock or tree that I accidently got stuck inside. Anyway.... I am just bummed a bit about it right now. I know I will still get the game and hopefully... *crosses fingers* hopefully.. it is something that can be modded. I still trust Bethesda to make a great game, but for me this was a big shock.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Dec 29 2005, 07:17 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Neela @ Dec 29 2005, 11:45 AM)
I am a big explorer at heart and I like to get into places that were hard to find or access.  Levitation was necessary for alot of this or just to get out of a rock or tree that I accidently got stuck inside.

yeah that is pretty much me too. that sucks that levitation wont be in Oblivion.

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
Rane
post Dec 29 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Lurker
Group Icon

And before anyone asks, here's the quote:

The post

QUOTE(Pete @ TESF)
There is no levitation in Oblivion.
+Quote Post
Megil Tel-Zeke
post Dec 29 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

Well hopefully we won't be getting stuck in rocks or trees this time around. I have mixed reviews as I didn't really like the levitation spell in morrowind, and it was easy to exploit so *shrug*

--------------------
"By keeping others at a distance you avoid a betrayal of your trust.
But while you may not be hurt that way you musnt forget that you must endure the loneliness."
Friendly Hostility Fanboi
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Dec 29 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

I don't think I exploited it. It was a nice spell

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
DoomedOne
post Dec 30 2005, 01:51 AM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

The first big disappointment that hit me was no mounted combat. I got over it. Levitate is the same way, and even easier to mod in. Frankly it makes the game more intriguing now that I'm planted to the ground. I plan to mod something more like a big jump to get to roof-top than actual levitation.

--------------------
A man once asked the Buddha, "How does one escape the heat of the summer sun?"

And the Buddha replied, "Why not try crawling into the blazing furnace?"
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Dec 30 2005, 02:17 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

heh, yes The breton spell of house jump....

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

+Quote Post
Pisces
post Dec 30 2005, 02:55 AM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

Apparently it is because the playable area is fenced in by unpassable mountains instead of vast amounts of water (because it would make no sense to use water on a land locked province). But you'd think they could just use vast amounts of repeating plains or you could have an invisable wall at the top of the mountain you can't go through, so you could see through to the other side of the mountain, but you wouldn't need to do much work to put something there, just put some empty plains or you could even make that wall no so invisable, like a fog barrier or something so you can't see more than a few metres through.

I also note there is no longer jump. What about fortify acrobatics? Because they should know someone like me will try to stack fortify acrobatics and jump over those damn mountains, if not then I'll just try stacking speed if governing attributes still make a differance and try to get over it. Theres no way they are keeping me from getting over that mountain range.

This post has been edited by Pisces: Dec 30 2005, 03:03 AM
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Dec 30 2005, 04:22 AM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

lol very nice Pisces. very nice. But you all forget we still will have the console on the pc so we can get over the mountains no matterwhat....I like TCL (or whatever it is/was) I haven't played morrowind in forever...

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

+Quote Post
DoomedOne
post Dec 30 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

the mountain thing doesn't have to do with levitation, because they are using invisible walls. They're aren't purely locking you in with mountains, they're doing both. They said it is possible to get on top the mountains and ypou can look out at mile of environment they had to out in place so it's wouldn't look weird when you get on the mountain tops.

--------------------
A man once asked the Buddha, "How does one escape the heat of the summer sun?"

And the Buddha replied, "Why not try crawling into the blazing furnace?"
+Quote Post
Pisces
post Dec 31 2005, 02:48 AM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

Ok, I found out the real reason:
"Here are some of the primary reasons people used Levitation in Morrowind (gleaned from the multiple threads on the subject):

1. To escape combat
2. To exploit AI that couldn't deal with flying targets
3. To reduce travel time by flying over hazardous and/or impassable terrain
4. To get to areas specifically designed to be levitated to
5. Because it's cool

A few response:

1. In Oblivion, mages have a wide variety of tools at their disposal if escaping combat is the goal. Casting Invisibility on yourself for example is a good one. Enemies lose track of you. They'll wander around, trying to find you, and if enough time passes they'll drop out of combat. Calm will put targets into a stupor during which they won't attack or follow you around for the duration of the spell. Demoralize will make a creature or NPC flee, and Turn Undead will do the same for the undead. Obviously, Paralysis is good for making a hasty retreat as well. These spells and others can of course be used for tactical advantage in combat as well. In addition, pure mages are not necessarily at such a disadvantage in combat anyway. For example, the Shield spell will improve your armor rating, and all of the Elemental shields (Fire, Frost, Lightning) will improve the armor rating in addition to resistance to the elemental magic. Factor in new features such as continuous regeneration of magicka and the fact that spell costs go down and effectiveness goes up as your skill in a spell's dominant effect increases, and mages are much, much more effective than they ever were in Morrowind. In other words, the need to flee combat is reduced.

2. In Oblivion, the AI has behavior to handle it when an opponent is unreachable, so even if Levitation was in, this wouldn't be a "viable" strategy.

3. Horses and fast travel help to reduce travel time.

4. Obviously there aren't any such areas in Oblivion.

5. Yeah, Levitation is pretty cool. But there are lots of other cool effects in the game, new and old, and many of the old with new functionality. There's no shortage of "cool" in Oblivion.

While I'm sure some of you will miss the spell effect out of nostalgia, you won't find yourself NEEDING to Levitate in Oblivion."-MSFD (dev) quote about levitation

Well although that actaully isn't a reason at all it is fair enough but I just have one thing to say: The telivanni will really laugh at us.
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Dec 31 2005, 04:54 AM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

okay now that I hear that it makes *some* sence(sp?) i will still miss levitation....

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post Dec 31 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

I'm pretty sure I'll manage without levitation, didn't use it that much... Only to get on high towers and practice my marksman skills on guards smile.gif But of course I'll still miss taking the short cut over a mountain to a place, but hopefully a horse ride will be a good replacement...
+Quote Post
Razorwing
post Dec 31 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #14

Retainer

From a modder's perspective I rather like that there won't be any levitation this time around, because I think it makes it a lot easier to create fun challenges for the player.

--------------------
+Quote Post
MerGirl
post Dec 31 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

Wait a minute, I don't understand. sad.gif Did they remove only the spell 'Levitation' itself or the entire spell category that levitation was in? (Was it alteration or something?) If they remove Levitation, 1) are they still keeping the other spells that are in that category, 2) and are they going to replace Leviation with another spell? *is confused*

I'm just worried about the spell-cutting... mellow.gif
Hopefully, most of the other spells are not cut... unless I missed something? huh.gif

This post has been edited by MerGirl: Dec 31 2005, 07:15 PM
+Quote Post
Rane
post Dec 31 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #16

Lurker
Group Icon

They didn't include the levitation spell. The spell school Alteration is still in.

I can't see what spell could replace levitation. It sounds more like the spell (or a similar spell) will not be needed in the game.

I haven't heard anything about the Jump spell though. It might still be in. If not, there's always Fortify Acrobatics.
+Quote Post
Pisces
post Dec 31 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #17

Knower
Group Icon

http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/codex_magicskills.htm

No jump, it says fortify but I haven't heard what can indeed be fortified.
+Quote Post
Rane
post Jan 1 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #18

Lurker
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pisces @ Dec 31 2005, 10:38 PM)
No jump, it says fortify but I haven't heard what can indeed be fortified.

The Codex doesn't have to list all the spell effects we will see in Oblivion.
+Quote Post
Jonajosa
post Jan 1 2006, 05:49 AM
Post #19

Evoker

QUOTE(Rane @ Dec 31 2005, 06:33 PM)
The Codex doesn't have to list all the spell effects we will see in Oblivion.

Correct. I would loose some interest in the game if the Devs decided they wanted to share all the information in the game with us.

It makes sense that the Jump spell would not be in Oblivion as long as levitation was out. If they don't want people casually flying over the walls of a city then they wouldn't want people jumping over them too. Get my reasoning?

--------------------
America's Army. Download it and join the ranks of the many who fight aginst the people know as the enemy, or Cobra for you GI JOE fans.
+Quote Post
RobRendell
post Jan 3 2006, 05:18 AM
Post #20

Agent

I agree with Neela, I'm disappointed that it's out. Presumably, the game will work fine without it, but I remember the first time I learned Levitation in Morrowind. I was suddenly struck with a sense of awe... "Here are some game writers", I thought to myself, "who are 100% confident that their world is solid from any possible angle."

Hmm. I wonder what the lack of (built-in) Levitation will do for using the Oblivion engine in the "Tamriel Rebuilt" project? If the spell can't be modded in, importing those Telvanni towers on Vvardenfell will be a bit of a problem... and if it can be modded in, what are they going to do when moving between Vvardenfell and Cryodil? Have the whole of Cryodil be a no-levitate area?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 02:21 AM