Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oblivion Disappointing?, More inside...
Did Oblivion Disappoint You?
Did Oblivion Disappoint You?
Yeah I was disappointed, it wasn't really what I'd hoped for... [ 7 ] ** [8.75%]
It was alright but it didn't really draw me in... [ 16 ] ** [20.00%]
No, it was a great game. Hats off to Bethsoft... [ 30 ] ** [37.50%]
Are you insane? It has consumed my life... [ 27 ] ** [33.75%]
Total Votes: 80
Guests cannot vote 
mirocu
post Feb 17 2013, 05:36 PM
Post #101

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 17 2013, 02:03 PM) *

it also starts to bug me if I read too much criticism on one of my favorite games. It's like somebody is criticizing my child or something.

QFT

tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 17 2013, 08:50 PM
Post #102

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 17 2013, 11:36 AM) *

QFT
tongue.gif

Quite Futuristic Technology? ....Wha-?

+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Feb 22 2013, 03:35 PM
Post #103

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 17 2013, 05:03 AM) *

it also starts to bug me if I read too much criticism on one of my favorite games. It's like somebody is criticizing my child or something.

This is how I feel about Skyrim. I sometimes feel like BGS's Oblivion General Discussion forum is more about bashing Skyrim than it is about discussing Oblivion. When I get to feeling that way I have to leave or reading posts there makes me physically ill: my fingers begin to dig into my palms, my teeth begin to grind into each other and my jaw begins to hurt. Thanks to the anti-Skyrim sentiments of so many Oblivion players I feel less and less comfortable there. I mainly show up because I enjoy reading posts written by a handful of the regulars who can discuss Oblivion without flaming Skyrim.

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Feb 22 2013, 03:37 PM
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 22 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #104

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Feb 22 2013, 06:35 AM) *

This is how I feel about Skyrim. I sometimes feel like BGS's Oblivion General Discussion forum is more about bashing Skyrim than it is about discussing Oblivion. When I get to feeling that way I have to leave or reading posts there makes me physically ill: my fingers begin to dig into my palms, my teeth begin to grind into each other and my jaw begins to hurt. Thanks to the anti-Skyrim sentiments of so many Oblivion players I feel less and less comfortable there. I mainly show up because I enjoy reading posts written by a handful of the regulars who can discuss Oblivion without flaming Skyrim.

I know what you both mean. When I go on the BethSoft Oblivion forums, it is to read and discuss the game I love. It saddens me to hear Oblivion bashed, just as I'm sure it saddens others to hear Morrowind or Skyrim bashed - and to no purpose except. . . competitiveness? I expect they're all fine games, and I'm simply delighted when someone finds a game they love. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 22 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #105

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 17 2013, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 17 2013, 11:36 AM) *

QFT
tongue.gif

Quite Futuristic Technology? ....Wha-?

Methinks it be, Quite Flipping True-ish...

QUOTE(Acadian)
It saddens me to hear Oblivion bashed, just as I'm sure it saddens others to hear Morrowind or Skyrim bashed - and to no purpose except. . . competitiveness? I expect they're all fine games, and I'm simply delighted when someone finds a game they love.

I agree...

I prefer Oblivion, the wife and kids perfer Skyrim...The main thing is, we all enjoy sitting there and watching the others go through the game, commenting and enjoying the view...

People love different things, you shouldn't bash stuff, five minutes later you may find yourself enjoying it... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 22 2013, 10:06 PM
Post #106

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QFT = Quoted For Truth.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 22 2013, 11:09 PM
Post #107

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh, yes, there is that one too... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Feb 22 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #108

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Feb 22 2013, 06:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Feb 22 2013, 06:35 AM) *

I know what you both mean. When I go on the BethSoft Oblivion forums, it is to read and discuss the game I love. It saddens me to hear Oblivion bashed, just as I'm sure it saddens others to hear Morrowind or Skyrim bashed - and to no purpose except. . . competitiveness? I expect they're all fine games, and I'm simply delighted when someone finds a game they love. smile.gif

I agree that bashing a game just for the sake of bashing it is truly annoying, but I think there is a place for honest criticism. If positive feedback was the only thing that the developers received then we would constantly get the same game over and over. The only way that any franchise evolves is if we, the consumer, express what we like and dislike about each entry.

For example, it concerns me that Bethesda seems to want to take these games in a direction that contradicts the reason that I started loving them in the first place:

- The faction quests are getting shorter and less thought out.
- The number of factions one can join is shrinking.
- The player is being forced into actions to progress in certain quests without the freedom to find a different solution.
- For some inexplicable reason (since Oblivion) one cannot wear robes over armor, and armor itself (in Skyrim) has been consolidated into one piece (armor) instead of three (cuirass, pauldrons, and greaves).
- My characters (even the so-called beast races) have ten fingers, yet (in Skyrim) they are only capable of wearing one ring.
- Key skills are being consolidated to the point that creating truly unique characters is becoming harder and harder to do (mastery of the sword shouldn’t automatically give someone mastery of the mace and war axe as well).

These things are the antithesis of the freedom that these games are supposed to provide. Raising these concerns doesn't mean that I am bashing the games. It means that I, as the consumer, have problems with the games that I hope future entries in the series will address. Even the child that you love the most does things that bother the heck out of you sometimes. Saying so doesn't automatically mean that you don't still love the child. If we don’t express our concerns this trend will continue until the games we’re being given every five years or so no longer resemble the Elder Scrolls that we have all come to know and love.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 23 2013, 01:35 AM
Post #109

Paladin
Group Icon

Constructive criticism to enhance the pedigree of future entries by Bethesda is easy to spot – and Destri just provided us with an elegant example of how to do it.

When I find myself biting my tongue at the other forum is when I (too often) see exchanges like this:
- How can you Blivoners stand those stoopid cartoony graphics? Nyah nyah!
- Yeah, well at least I can make my own custom spells! What smart atronach stole that from you Skimmers up there in your gray, colorless tundra? Nyah nyah!
- You’re all outlander newbs! Everyone knows there is only one REAL TES game! Nyah nyah!
- Oh, stop yer Morowhining and go back to yer mushroom house in the fog and yer static NPCs! Nyah nyah!
-Yeah? Well at least I got spears, you dumbed downers! Nyah nyah!

That’s when I retreat to the friendly, mature and reasoned sanctuary of chorrol. wub.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 23 2013, 02:07 AM
Post #110

Forum Bard
Group Icon

The problem is that Bethesda doesn't seem to care much about many legitimate issues that players have brought up.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 23 2013, 04:30 AM
Post #111

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Feb 22 2013, 09:35 AM) *

physically ill: my fingers begin to dig into my palms, my teeth begin to grind into each other and my jaw begins to hurt.

REally? Wow I did not know that! I will keep this in mind because I do have my moments when I criticize Skyrim, but I also LOVE it to pieces. So when I criticize, it's not bashing, it's just me wanting (so much) to see certain areas improved.

...and I don't have mods , of course. mellow.gif Anyways, welcome here, Pseron. I am so glad you are here. Have some cake. cake.gif We've got sugar-free cake and cake with LOTS of sugar in it. I prefer some good ol' fashioned sugar myself! Banana cake is my fave.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Feb 23 2013, 04:35 AM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 23 2013, 09:36 AM
Post #112

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Feb 23 2013, 01:35 AM) *

When I find myself biting my tongue at the other forum is when I (too often) see exchanges like this:
- How can you Blivoners stand those stoopid cartoony graphics? Nyah nyah!
- Yeah, well at least I can make my own custom spells! What smart atronach stole that from you Skimmers up there in your gray, colorless tundra? Nyah nyah!
- You’re all outlander newbs! Everyone knows there is only one REAL TES game! Nyah nyah!
- Oh, stop yer Morowhining and go back to yer mushroom house in the fog and yer static NPCs! Nyah nyah!
-Yeah? Well at least I got spears, you dumbed downers! Nyah nyah!

rollinglaugh.gif

If I should ever see that here I´ll give you a call, Acadian biggrin.gif
------------
Some very good points there, Destri. I really wish I could put my finger on things like you do. Problem is I know what i think but I can rarely spell it out.

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 23 2013, 04:30 AM) *

when I criticize, it's not bashing, it's just me wanting (so much) to see certain areas improved.

...and I don't have mods , of course. mellow.gif

The choice of platform is yours, Renee cool.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Feb 23 2013, 09:37 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Feb 24 2013, 05:52 AM
Post #113

Finder
Group Icon

I should probably have elaborated on what I meant. Criticism of Skyrim is perfectly appropriate in a Skyrim forum, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think Skyrim is perfect. I have a fairly long list of things I'm not thrilled about, just as with Morrowind and Oblivion. But here is my objection: a Skyrim forum is the place for these criticisms, not an Oblivion forum.

I'm also not bothered by thoughtful comparisons with other games in an Oblivion forum. I do it myself. I believe it is appropriate to name check another game in the course of making a point.

We've had threads in the Oblivion General Discussion forum with titles like "What do you like about Oblivion?" You would think something like that would encourage people to actually post their thoughts about Oblivion. But, no. Inevitably some yahoo (and I mean that in the nicest sense) will post a 300-word rant that is solely about what they do not like about Skyrim, without even once mentioning Oblivion.

That I cannot stand. That is when I no longer want to have anything to do with the Oblivion General Discussion forum.

The same thing happened back in 2006-2007 with Morrowind. After Oblivion came out the Morrowind General Discussion forum was absolutely crammed with completely off-topic posts about how hideously awful Oblivion was (one needs only to read the early posts in this thread to know what I am talking about). I had to stop going there. I couldn't take it any longer.

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Feb 24 2013, 05:56 AM
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 24 2013, 07:57 AM
Post #114

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Well my opinion has been tempered some since my posts back at the start of the thread. I've come to enjoy Oblivion to an extent but am still upset by the generic nature of the world and the creatures inside of it, which I feel is a valid critique of the game.

It has it's charms of course as did the prequel and sequel. Oblivion was my least favorite of the ES games that I've played (MW,OB,SR) because of a number of minor issues.

Skyrim however seems much more polished and is generally more fun. I have critiques about all three games to be honest but as a whole they're all pretty enjoyable ways to waste time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 25 2013, 12:26 AM
Post #115

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Feb 23 2013, 11:52 PM) *

We've had threads in the Oblivion General Discussion forum with titles like "What do you like about Oblivion?" You would think something like that would encourage people to actually post their thoughts about Oblivion. But, no. Inevitably some yahoo (and I mean that in the nicest sense) will post a 300-word rant that is solely about what they do not like about Skyrim, without even once mentioning Oblivion.

Ohhhhhhh yeah. This is true. Some folks expect Skyrim is supposed to be Oblivion II or something, and so they expect that everything in TES: IV should have been carried over.

My one pet peeve is folks who bash any TES game (not just Oblivion or Skyrim) while completely ignoring its better points. They all have pros and cons, and some of these are based on opinion, soley. Yet these 'yahoos' seem to think theirs are the only opinions that count. They often refuse to even be able to entertain the notion that somebody else's might also be just as valid.

+Quote Post
Lopov
post Feb 25 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #116

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 25 2013, 12:26 AM) *

My one pet peeve is folks who bash any TES game (not just Oblivion or Skyrim) while completely ignoring its better points. They all have pros and cons, and some of these are based on opinion, soley. Yet these 'yahoos' seem to think theirs are the only opinions that count. They often refuse to even be able to entertain the notion that somebody else's might also be just as valid.

Unfortunately people like these can be encountered anywhere IRL in as well, trying to show the others that only their opinion is the right one and that everything they disagree with, is not worth even trying... one prime example are the politicians, at least in our country. Luckily, we're getting the new government this Wednesday.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
PhonAntiPhon
post Mar 30 2013, 06:25 PM
Post #117

Mouth
Group Icon

It consumes my life.
I love my games but I have never come across a game as involving and as life-affirming as this one. I don't know what sorcery is at work with it but whatever it is it's phenomenal and more than welcome.

(I do think that the options should be in the present tense though! )

--------------------
Settled in Breezehome - (Mostly)
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 30 2013, 06:57 PM
Post #118

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I have to agree with mr Phon here. No other game has made me play it for so many years with practically no break or end in sight. I consider it a natural part of my life now, like going to work or eat dinner.

Yeah, I´m sad. But happy! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 28 2013, 03:01 AM
Post #119

Master
Group Icon

Something that came to mind here. Daedra are all-powerful beings, right? The princes have their own sheer amount of power in their own realms and they aren't limited.

So howcome Mehrunes Dagon didn't just use his godlike powers of destruction and say, destroy the player for ever meddling in one of his deadlands? I mean surely he would want to do that if the person invading his domain is trying to thwart his plans to enter Tamriel, no?

Or is this another Bethesda plothole? I was looking for a reasonable lore reason but I can't really find any.

--------------------
And yet I am, and liveā€”like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass belowā€”above the vaulted sky.ā€¯
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 28 2013, 03:46 AM
Post #120

Councilor
Group Icon

I haven't a clue. My knowledge of lore and history, though.

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2024 - 06:42 PM