202 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
McBadgere
post Apr 15 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #361

Councilor
Group Icon

The Rock...Sean Connery in his finest post-Bond... cool.gif ...Loved it!!...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 20 2012, 06:39 PM
Post #362

Ancient
Group Icon

I finished the X-Files a few weeks ago. Now I am experimenting with several different shows. I found that there is a follow-up to Battle 360. This one is about General Patton. So I have been watching that. The final disc came in the mail today in fact. It is as good as the original, going into much more depth then you normally see in a tv documentary.

I started watching Millennium as well. Sort of natural following X-Files after all. I only watched a little of it back when it was on tv. I am taking a while to warm up to it. It is really dark, and where X-Files revolved around weird paranormal killings, this revolves around all to normal killings, by all too normal murderers.

I am also a few discs into Dark Angel. I never watched past the pilot episode when it was on tv. Watching it again, I remembered why. The main character is not at all likeable in it. They fix that in the following episodes however, and the show improves dramatically.

I just wish it had more of a Third World/Post Apocalyptic feel to it. We are told that the pulse wiped out the financial industry, and turned the U.S. into a Third World country overnight. But most of the time it does not seem that way. Instead we see shiny new cars filling the streets, the night sky lit up with lights from all the skyscrapers, everyone has working elevators, and squatters in abandoned buildings have water and power, not to mention really nice and clean apartments. I would like to see things look older, worn out, dirtier. Like in the Max Headroom tv series. Now that gave us a wonderfully dystopian future, with people getting around by rickshaws.

Finally, I streamed the first two episodes of Outcasts. The first episode started with us seeing Jamie Bamber, and I so got my hopes up (I just adore that man, I wish he was in more movies/shows). Unfortunately he is not in anything beyond the first episode. sad.gif But it is still a good show. It is too bad it only went about 8 episodes. I liked it so much I put it in my disc queue. (I usually stream the things I am not really sure about. That way I do not waste a disc).

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 20 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #363

Councilor
Group Icon

Just watched the latest (over here) Body of Proof...

Jamie Bamber's in that at the moment!... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 23 2012, 06:04 AM
Post #364

Councilor
Group Icon

Watched The Magnificent Seven last night...Oh-ho-ho YES!!... biggrin.gif ...

One of my all time faves...Brilliant...

The kids were about half-watching too, and it was just "But it's so ooooold!" and all the rest of it...It's 52 years old...Still amazingly brilliant though...

They'd been paying attention (and presumaby, enjoying) enough to be all "Oh-no!" when those that got offed, went...

Is that a spoiler btw? tongue.gif ...

And then we watched the next part of Once Upon A Time...Which is really very good...Robert Carlyle is sooo ace in it... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 23 2012, 06:15 AM
Post #365

Master
Group Icon

Alex Haley's "Roots". smile.gif

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 28 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #366

Councilor
Group Icon

Robert went to see the Avengers... biggrin.gif ...

Oh yeah...Oh yeah...*Does dance of joy*... biggrin.gif ...

Absolutely almost my most favourite film ever...

Totally the best Marvel film...And genuinely, it is incredible...

Joss Whedon needs a Knighthood for services to Awesome!!...

Every one of the heroes gets decent screen time...Of which there is nearly two and a half hours of altogether...And from what we read, there was nearly 40 mins cut out to make it that long...And from where we sat, it was a mistake...Could have quite merrily sat through the rest... biggrin.gif ...

Go see!!...Go see now!!...
+Quote Post
Fawkes
post Apr 28 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #367

Finder
Group Icon

Goosebumps!
Yes it's a very old show, but it's awesome! biggrin.gif
....and still creepy.

This post has been edited by Fawkes: Apr 28 2012, 09:22 PM

--------------------
Jericho the "hero"

"The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom"-Nyx
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post May 4 2012, 08:56 AM
Post #368

Knower
Group Icon

Marvel's The Avengers.

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 6 2012, 05:20 AM
Post #369

Ancient
Group Icon

Saw the Avengers a little while ago. It is awesomeness. Pure 100% Win. Go see it, now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post May 6 2012, 06:07 AM
Post #370

Master
Group Icon

The Avengers impressed me. I expected it to be a shallow mash-up, but each of the heroes got a share of personal development that made the movie more than the sum of its parts. That, and it didn't seem to drag on. smile.gif

[Edit] And I've essentially reposted what McBadgere said embarrased.gif

Whatever, awesome piece of work. Go see it.

This post has been edited by Lord Revan: May 6 2012, 06:13 AM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 11 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #371

Ancient
Group Icon

I finished Earth 2 last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I can see why it got canceled after a season. No male hero who beats someone up every episode. No space battles. No gunfights. No evil overlord with an army of faceless mooks. Come to think of it, it hardly seems like sci-fi at all! ohmy.gif

Instead there are good stories, where shooting things is usually the worst possible idea. The alien races we meet have their own motives, which are sometimes at odds with the main characters, sometimes in line with them. Then throw in a sci-fi world based on the Gaia Principle, where people live in symbiosis with the planet, and thusly actually have a responsibility to it. Rather than exploiting their world and discarding it after it has been used up.

I also just got done watching Haywire. It is not spectacular, but I did like it. It reminded me a lot of The American, with George Cloony. Gina Carano stars, and she impressed me. She makes an excellent action heroine because she is not a soft and curvy supermodel. Instead she is a RL mixed martial artist. So she comes across as very believable in a role as a tough girl/spy. In fact it was seeing her in a fight that got the attention of Steven Soderbergh. He saw her beat up someone in a cage and thought "Why isn't someone making a movie about this woman?"

In fact, I am thinking Gina might be perfect to play Tadrose Helas in the imaginary Teresa of the Faint Smile movie.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 15 2012, 04:40 AM
Post #372

Councilor
Group Icon

Dark Shadows...It was...Disappointing...Put it this way...The wife had to elbow me 'cause I fell asleep in it...

Some of it was funny...And the last fifteen minutes was nicely done, but...Go see Avengers, much better value for money... indifferent.gif ...
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 16 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #373

Ancient
Group Icon

I dusted off my copy of Cosmos. After all these years, it is just, wow.

Modern science shows like The Universe just do not compare to it. They have flashier graphics, melodrama on steroids, and loud sound effects and quick cuts to appease an ADD audience. But they do not have the simple love for the Universe that Carl Sagan possessed, something that resonates through all of Cosmos. Many describe the series as inspirational because of that. It is not only about the stars and planets and galaxies. It is about us. Because we are an integral part of the Universe. We are made of star-stuff. The stars are where we come from, and they are where we go back to in the end.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 18 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #374

Councilor
Group Icon

In some ridiculous amount of sessions, I watched a 4 hour documentary film about Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers...

It was amazing...

Sadly, it's cost me much money this evening... tongue.gif ...
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post May 23 2012, 05:11 AM
Post #375

Master
Group Icon

Well, I've started watching Big O on youtube. smile.gif It has an awesome score and is among my fonder childhood memories... even if one could argue batman with megadei.

On another note, I watched the two seasons of Rosario+Vampire. Stop give me weird looks!

This post has been edited by Lord Revan: May 23 2012, 05:14 AM
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jun 3 2012, 06:37 AM
Post #376

Councilor
Group Icon

Prometheus...

Meh...The wife loved it...I thought it was okay but not great...*Shrug*...

Should have been better, but not by a long chalk was it the worst film I've ever seen... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jun 5 2012, 06:32 AM
Post #377

Councilor
Group Icon

Snow White and The Huntsman on sunday and Men In Black III on monday...

Snow White was alright...Not amazing, but not awful...

Men in Black was brilliant though...Really was...Fave film for ages...Nice one!...
+Quote Post
Illydoor
post Jun 7 2012, 12:36 AM
Post #378

Finder
Group Icon

Literally watching anything to avoid revision.

Including that history channel, forget its name, showed something on the Battle of Trafalgar.

Completely irrelevant to what I'm learning, but it was pretty awesome! Coupled with the fact Pirates of the Carribean has been showing on BBc3 recently, definitely in some weird naval mood now

--------------------
Have you ever thought about taking the dark and thorny path?
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 9 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #379

Ancient
Group Icon

Just saw the new Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It was meh. Daniel Craig was excellent, and Chris Plummer and Stellan Skarsgard turn in their usual solid performances as well. But Rooney Mara was just flat and dull as Lisbeth. It made watching her scenes an effort in "can we get this over so I can see someone with talent again?"

The original Swedish version was much better. Noomi Rapace owned that role. She made Lisbeth Salander come alive. I could even overlook some of the groaner moments of the plot, like how the lesbian character naturally hooks up with the male lead (because of course all lesbians cannot wait to get some sausage *rolls eyes*), and of course he is a man twice her age. Just love seeing those 50 year-olds banging a girl in their twenties. Yep, that is true love for sure!

On a better front, I saw the first episode of Joseph Campbell's Mythos. Excellent stuff. He surprised me with his humor. I do not recall him having such a good sense of humor in his interviews with Bill Moyers. But it has been a while since I have seen those. The first episode was on the psyche and formation of the self, and how that relates to myth. Good stuff, and I often found myself nodding along. As a lesbian especially, I can relate to how he describes the persona, which thrust upon people from their society, and a person's choice to either conform with that in spite of their personal feelings (the right hand path), or to break free of that and instead follow their bliss (the left hand path).

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 10 2012, 02:02 AM
Post #380

Master
Group Icon

I saw the original Swedish version of the Dragon Tattoo, too. I have to agree with you, Noomi Rapace truly shone in that role. I felt everything she went through with her "guardian", and cheered when she claimed payback. I also felt that the relationship with the male lead was a copout, though he was good in the character.

As much as I love Daniel Craig, I just can't bring myself to see his version of the same, not after seeing Noomi Rapace. I just can't see Rooney playing the role with the same gritty depth.

--------------------
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:53 AM