There's several trends in online games alone that are starting to annoy me, because they've been done to death, done back to life, then done to death again
and now OH GOD THEY'RE COMING BACK TO LIFE AGAIN
- Mario-themed games (or indeed anything with ripped Mario assets)
- Friggin' zombies!!
- Angry Birds clones
- Icy Tower clones
- Bejeweled-style "match-3" clones
- Physics removers
- Launcher-and-upgrade games
- Direct ripoffs of any tutorial
- ESPECIALLY those cookie-cutter maze games whose sole mechanic is "don't touch the walls"
- Any game that trumpets being "uber-hard"
- Any game that IS uber-hard (c/f "Frustration Fuel")
- Dress-up games - apparently boys do stuff, girls just hang out in closets
- Any game featuring those ugly friggin' 3D smilies
- Tower Defence
- ESOL types who don't pass their blurb or in-game English to a human proofreader (first impressions count)
- Escape games (this coming from an idiot who actually paid money for the Myst series, which are really just escape games on CD-ROM)