Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Knights of the Nine - New Kvatch, Attempt at fan-fic
McBadgere
post Jan 15 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #134

Councilor
Group Icon

Timeline

Dawn Era - The Universe, Nirn and the Divines created by The They/Them. The Divines create abundantly but then ultimately War between themselves. Akatosh, Julianos and a third Divine battle the remaining seven with the help of the Androforms. The They/Them remove Lorkhan from the universe. The fate of the others is unresolved as yet.

3E 401 – Uriel Septim forms the Legio Elitarii.

3E 423 – Uriel Septim rewards Marrick Gellert with the Imperial Dragon Warhammer and the title of Imperial Commander. With Septim’s blessing Gellert forms the Legion’s “Dragon Company”.

3E 429 – Kelleryn Oreyn expelled from the Arcane University for causing too much disruption with his “Uncles”.

3E 430 – Aeirawen meets Caroline Olford in Bruma.

Galasafon traps Glarthir at Broken Promise Cave only to lose him over a waterfall. Glarthir not found, presumed dead.

3E 432 – The Emperor sends Robert McWylde to Anvil to investigate the slaughter at the Chapel of Dibella. Reformation of The Knights of The Nine.

Shortly after the defeat of Umaril, Galasafon is called by Kynareth to the Priory of The Nine. Soon after he is sent by McWylde to Bravil in order to investigate the portal that had appeared on an island nearby. He is not seen for six months before reappearing shortly before the portal explodes in late 432.

J’Drell, while still Legio Investigato tries to arrest Ras’sheena in Imperial City.

3E 433 – Ras’sheena in Skingrad. Marries the Bosmer Maglir and moves to Bravil. Several months pass and Maglir is sent to Leyawiin. Ras’sheena travels to Leyawiin in time to see him killed by Farn Olfsson.

Farn Olfsson named Guild-Master of The Fighters Guild.

Emperor Uriel Septim betrayed by Marrick Gellert’s Dragon Company and murdered by The Mythic Dawn. Caroline Olford is by the Emperor’s side when he dies.

The Oblivion Crisis. Attempted daedric invasion by Mehrunes Dagon, thwarted by Uriel Septim’s illegitimate son Martin, the Knights of The Nine, The Blades and The Imperial Legion.

Farn Olfsson meets and marries Caroline Trewan of the Blades in Bruma.

Robert McWylde named Champion of Cyrodiil.

Late 433 – The ruin of Kvatch is ceded to the KOTN. Clearing and rebuilding starts.

3E 434 – Fadrin Madigan marries Robert McWylde and Caroline Olford in Chorrol.

Ras’sheena kills Glarthir in Skingrad.

Galasafon captures Lucien Lachance and discovers the location of the Dark Brotherhood’s sanctuary in Cheydinhal. He kills all the assassins therein. Ras’sheena appears at the sanctuary and meets Galasafon.

Aeirawen kills Lucien Lachance in Skingrad.

3E 436 – Ras’sheena in Anvil. Meets Jayred Grice. Joins Grice’s Fighters Guild-esque mercenary band “The Dragon Company”

3E 437 – The Dragon Company moves to Elseweyr.

Early 438 – Ras’sheena and the Dragon Company discover three presumed extinct creatures called Yskraich. Jayred Grice has one of them sent to a mysterious silent partner in the business.

3E 438 – Present day. The Allfire barrier lit.

Ras’sheena killed by Kelleryn Oreyn outside Fort Freedom.

Marrick Gellert is captured at Fort Freedom.

Robert McWylde has the Curse of Stendarr removed.

The Gods suddenly take an interest in the affairs of the Knight of The Nine.

Aeirawen is made Immortal by Kynareth.

3E 440 – Tar-meena translates an Ayelid nursery rhyme to do with the Yskraich.

3E 483 – Liiaric Jend discovers the existence of a Doomsday spell called “I Explode” in the remains of an explosion at Michel Jend’s house at Bravil, and sends it to Archmage of the Arcane University Seri Ormandin.

3E 486 – Caroline McWylde writes the first volume of her memoirs “Wylde Girl”.

3E 540 - Caroine McWylde dies.

3E 550 - Robert McWylde finally bows to pressure and becomes Emperor of Cyrodiil and it's Empire.

*circa 3E 574 - An Altmer High-Priest of Arkay, called Oostermann and one General Ofwysyn Tcheet bring the Thalmor to power in the Summerset Isles. Tcheet declares himself Overlord of the Thalmor and the Isles. Miitr Farrada sends Nol Areldur, Siar Eremnor and Jeck Harramaund to faraway places away from the Thalmor Ruination, sorry, I mean Thalmor Dominion.

3E 584 - Final battle against the False Pretender family. Due to the abandonment by several of the Legions (hence their branding "Traitor" Legions) many Knights of The Nine, loyal Imperial Legion and other allies lose their lives. Imperial City explodes, killing the all that remained of the False Pretenders, ending that threat to Cyrodiil forever, but also killing Emperor Robert McWylde at the same time.

*circa 3E 584 - By now, the Thalmor are becoming a totalitarian empire, with their own police force and banning worship of the Divine Talos. An obvioulsy ill Farrada sends Areldur et al away on long duration missions again.

*circa 3E 588 - Miitr Farrada dies by "Drowning himself in the ornamental pond outside The Crystal Tower" in Alinor.

*circa 3E 589 - Areldur discovered on Batracci Island in the Padomaic Ocean by the Thalmor agent, Justicar Ecclensivar, apparently by direction given by the Divine Arkay. Areldur ordered home, the Fleet Admiral chooses to not go and destroys the Thalmor ships.

*circa 3E 594 - Areldur, Eremnor, Harramaund and Areldur's daughter decide to try one last time to do something about the Thalmor. Then the three older men are caught by Justicar Ondolemar.

3E 602 – Francois Jend of Bravil Mages Guild writes the book “Notes on Magic Usage”.

3E 604 –Knight-Commander J’Drell and the Knights of The Nine, along with the Imperial Navy, destroy the invading Second Aldmeri Dominion (The ruling Altmer (Thalmor) of the Summerset Isle who invaded and conquered much of Valenwood before trying it with Cyrodiil) as they were trying to land on Cyrodiil's Gold Coast at Anvil. Further threat of invasion is removed by the destruction of one third of the main Summerset Isle, centred on the Crystal Tower and the capitol. The explosion destroyed Alinor and the lower third of the island.

At this time, what remains of the Empire is ruled by one Empress Mia McWylde.

Any remaining Thalmor not caught, escape to Skyrim and impose their will on the "True" Empire there.

3E 634 - Knight Commander J'Drell takes five Knights to Skyrim to attempt to find any former Knights of The Nine left in Skyrim after their Purge in (*circa) 3E 584 by the Traitor Legions and the ressurrected False Pretender's "True" Empire, who invaded and took over Skyrim after their attempt on Cyrodiil was ruined. Bwahahaa!!...

Sir J'Zirlo of New Kvatch and Wulff Olfsson attempt to infiltrate the group known as The Companions in Whiterun, Skyrim.

3E 637 – Wulff Olfsson finds Uriel Septim’s diaries in the remains of Cloud Ruler Temple.

4E 01 – The first book of The God War is discovered in the Great Chapel of Alfarn in Bravil.

Unknown era – The world ends with the last woman and the last man removing themselves from it through a portal.

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Apr 7 2012, 04:04 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jan 15 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #135

Councilor
Group Icon

There you go...How it is for now...

As soon as I learn how (or indeed, if I can) I shall put a link to the specific posts for the Timeline and Konnitkipedia in me sig...

I shall go lie down now... laugh.gif ...
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 15 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #136

Councilor
Group Icon

Bless you for the Timeline!!! Whew. I think that keeping the Third Era going past Martin’s death is a nice way to completely sidestep the Skyrim timeline and events. I love and admire the scope of your story!!

I’m puzzled and intrigued by the vampire’s death and the link to Glarthir, but I know the answers will come. There’s only so much that can fit into one post!

Like mALX said, that Sleep Wake Feed Joy was quite chilling.

Oh dear, Ras'sheena getting in trouble again. At least she didn’t show up during the fight. ohmy.gif And we know there’s far worse in store for her.

I went back and read all of Galasafon’s parts together, and I’ll do it again with the next one. That’s how much I love this story. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 15 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #137

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Jan 15 2012, 05:28 AM) *

Lol...Very lol indeed... biggrin.gif ...

Right, I thought I'd got it straight in me own head, and I'd been following a brief list I'd written down in me notebook, but obviously, this is getting away from even me being able to follow it...So I'm dooing a timeline post...'Cause it's fun, I'm enjoying doing it and I love all that detail stuff that Tolkien went into with his dates...Not that I'm comparing myself to Tolkien, just doing the same thing...

I apologise for being confusing, but there you go... biggrin.gif ...

It'll be up as soon as I've gone through everything pulling all the dates and writing it up...Cheers...

I'm not losing focus...No I'm not...

ROFL !! I'm shipping you some RITLIN !!!! I def appreciate the timeline, can you post that on page #1 with the Character list? Aren't your fans awfully demanding ??? ROFL !!! Thank you !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jan 15 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #138

Councilor
Group Icon

biggrin.gif ...Oh, I love it really... tongue.gif ...

Reet, look at my signiature...Under the McBadgere bit are links to the timeline and konnitkipedia...Thanks wholly to an exceptionally brilliant woman... biggrin.gif ...

The 1st post will get too unwieldly to edit if I put it there...It may freak many things (and any new readers...Pfffft...I'm hoping... biggrin.gif ...) out...So using the signiature links will be easier...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Jan 15 2012, 09:18 PM
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 15 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #139

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Jan 15 2012, 03:17 PM) *

biggrin.gif ...Oh, I love it really... tongue.gif ...

Reet, look at my signiature...Under the McBadgere bit are links to the timeline and konnitkipedia...Thanks wholly to an exceptionally brilliant woman... biggrin.gif ...

The 1st post will get too unwieldly to edit if I put it there...It may freak many things (and any new readers...Pfffft...I'm hoping... biggrin.gif ...) out...So using the signiature links will be easier...

WOO HOO !! Great idea !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 16 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #140

Paladin
Group Icon

The timeline is quite helpful. Thank you! tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jan 16 2012, 03:24 PM
Post #141

Councilor
Group Icon

Cheers... biggrin.gif ...'Twas fun...Hope it helps us all keep track... biggrin.gif ...

NEW PARTS ALERT!!!... biggrin.gif ...

Previously on KOTNNK...Galasafon was shocked to discover that Glarthir had actually been alive until recently...This is why...

1.11 – Galasafon (pt.4)

3E 430

Galasafon watched as Farn Olfsson backhanded a bandit straight across the corridor and into the opposite wall, then - almost casually - run the man through with his sword.

“Is he here?” the Nord turned his head and shouted up the corridor.

Galasafon bit his lip and frowned. The trail led here. The crazed bandit they’d run into had talked about torture, horrors and death. And that was within the gang.

The ironically named Broken Promises Cave was sat in the side of a mountain, with picturesque views over Skingrad in the distance, much of Chorrol somewhat closer and on a good day, you could see the White Tower in Imperial City. Outside its entrance was a lake that fed a waterfall, over which the water fell to jagged rocks and rapids until the river opened out and made its lazy way towards Skingrad and then Anvil.

“Farn!” Brellin shouted from a side corridor.

The Nord rushed towards the sound of clashing metal. Galasafon a few paces behind. He watched Olfsson go from fast to practically unseeable as he ran into the giant, hammer wielding bandit.

Using two stubby handled hammers with large heads of dwarven metal, the Nord bandit had been pummelling Brellin’s shield, while the Bosmer hadn’t been able to reply.

The bandit, to give him some due, had managed, from lying on his back, to throw Olfsson off. The hammers were back, one in each hand. The bandit had them spinning, windmill fashion, walking towards the Nord Knight with a murderous look on his tattooed face. Farn had his helmeted head tilted in what Galasafon imagined was probably amusement. Olfsson raised his hand and shot a large fireball into the bandit’s exposed chest. The bandit skidded down the corridor on his back and stayed there.

Turning around, Farn asked again. “Is he here?”

Galasafon looked at Brellin who was nursing his shield arm with a wince. Brellin looked pained and said “Unless McWylde and Foss have found some other entrance - which wouldn’t surprise me, given Glarthir’s penchant for hiding - he’s not anywhere in here.” Shrugging and looking up at Farn, Brellin continued, “This is the end of the system. These are the living quarters. I’m pretty sure between the three of us, we had this whole cave system covered for life detect.”

The Nord had nodded agreement, sighed, then turned his head to Galasafon. “What now?”

Galasafon didn’t know was the answer, but he couldn’t say that. He’d brought them all here on the strength of their trust in him. All of them risking the wrath of the Emperor on what was at best, capturing a wanted deserter and murderer turned bandit without direct orders, and at worse a personal vendetta against his brother-in-law...Former brother-in-law.

“Let’s get back to the centre of the system, I’m going to try that thing Celia taught me.” Galasafon said.

Brellin widened his eyes and then frowned. “You’re not strong enough for that.”

“Have you got a better idea?”

The two Bosmer stood staring at each other.

“Hurry the hells up will you? Wherever he is, we’re losing him.” said the Nord.

Galasafon led them back past the bodies of fallen bandits to a junction and stopped. “Here.” He said and knelt down. The Bosmer breathed deeply and quietened his mind. Then he was above himself he could see Brellin and Olfsson, then he pushed outwards. All at once he could sense all directions. Down the explored cave tunnels, the inaccessible level above, the hole in the wall out the side and up. Outside...Oh hells...

All at once Galasafon’s self rushed back into his head and he tried to stand up. Falling against the wall, he tried to run and fell forward. Brellin grabbed under his shoulder and helped him stand. All he could say was “Out!” and pointed. The Nord was gone down the corridor instantly and Galasafon waved Brellin away.

He bounced off several walls as he made his way towards the entrance, trying to stem the bleeding from his nose.

When he finally reached the outside, the glare from the sun was blinding. Blinking his way out, he could see Robert McWylde and Olfsson had Glarthir cornered towards the end of the stone near the waterfall’s edge, and Galasafon knew instantly how this would end. Shedding a tear, he apologised to his sister’s memory and walked towards the trio. He passed Brellin, sword still drawn, trying to staunch the blood flowing from the chest of the Dunmer, Mral Foss. He looked down at Brellin and their eyes met. Brellin shook his head the tiniest amount. So, another death Glarthir. This one will cost us all.

He walked up to and between the Imperial and Nord. “Foss?” asked McWylde, breathing heavily.

“Brellin’s with him.”

“No I’m not,” said a voice behind them. Which then quietly added, “There’s no need anymore.”

Galasafon shook his head and laughed at Glarthir.

“What?” asked the cornered Bosmer with some venom.

Galasafon laughed some more.

“What are you laughing at?!..Are you laughing at me?! ME?!!”

“Yes you little $hit, of course I am. You ignored your orders, you took your squad and murdered a village. Then you murdered your squad and went on the run. Now...Now you’ve nowhere left to run. I think you should give up, don’t you Glarthir?”

“Never.” The Bosmer spat. “You all are here to kill me, just like those damnable Blades want me dead. The Emperor...He wants me dead...He knows nothing...All of them...Everyone...Wants me, him...Us...Dead!!!...Just like she tried to kill me...Poisoned me, she did...Always poisoning me...And they, they were the worst!!...”

Galasafon was breathing hard, trying desperately to hold his anger. “You killed our whole village Glarthir...Your family...My family...” He heard McWylde inhale sharply.

“We did all this for revenge Galas?”

“Ooooh!! See, he tricked you too!!...” Shouted Glarthir. “He lies to everyone...Everyone...And he calls me mad?..”

Galasafon turned his head. “No Robert, we did this to bring him to justice. That is what my sister...and the...the others... would have wanted.”

JUSTICE?!!” Glarthir descended into hysterical laughter “I’ll be dead before the next morning if you take me back to the Emperor.”

Galasafon narrowed his eyes at Glarthir, “I fail to see the downside.”

Glarthir snarled and came at Galasafon with his sword. Galasafon stepped to the side as Glarthir lunged, and stabbed the dagger he was holding deep into the other Bosmer’s abdomen.

As the former Elitarii Captain dropped his sword and held onto Galasafon’s arm, the current Elitarii knight whispered in Glarthir’s ear, “You are a blight on this world, you are a fool and a murderer. I pray that Kynareth sends a spirit of Vengeance to chase you through Oblivion forever. Now get out of my kriffing sight.”

With that, Galasafon pushed Glarthir backwards. The bleeding Bosmer stumbled to a stop. “Help me?” he asked of McWylde.

Olfsson answered him with a Nordic Thu’um, and the Bosmer flew backwards over the waterfall.

The four Elitarii walked to the edge and looked down.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four days later the Knights stood before Emperor Uriel Septim, their eyes forward as they took the scolding.

When he was finished, The Emperor stopped before Galasafon and simply asked,

“Is it done?”

Galasafon had nodded and said, “Aye Sire, it is done.”

At which point, Uriel Septim had put his hand on Galasafon’s shoulder, looked with more than a trace of sympathy into the Bosmer’s eyes and said, “I’m so sorry.”

Then he turned on his heel and stalked out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Jan 16 2012, 03:33 PM
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Jan 16 2012, 11:21 PM
Post #142

Knower
Group Icon

Ok, pardon me, little slow today, read it, went and read time line, reread it, now it makes sense.

It was a bit of a ride, intense. Always good stuff, always.

Little off my mark today, but I did enjoy it, really.

More please.

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 17 2012, 01:22 AM
Post #143

Paladin
Group Icon

Bandits with windmilling hammers! ohmy.gif

So now we know what happened to Glarthir.

“JUSTICE?!!” Glarthir descended into hysterical laughter “I’ll be dead before the next morning if you take me back to the Emperor.”
Galasafon narrowed his eyes at Glarthir, “I fail to see the downside.”

I love the dry humor here! smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 17 2012, 01:59 AM
Post #144

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow. Nordy-Boy Farn really is a badass!

Stabbed in the gut and Thu’umed off a waterfall, I can see why they thought Glarthir was dead. And why Galasafon was upset.

I love that after all of the action and crazy talk from Glarthir it ended on a quiet note with the Emperor.

Like Athynae said, this whole chapter was quite a ride! I have enjoyed reading all of the parts together.

smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 17 2012, 04:02 AM
Post #145

Ancient
Group Icon

Well that answered a lot of questions, but also raised some. Uriel gave condolences to Galasafon like Glathir was a family member. Great Chapter !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jan 17 2012, 01:53 PM
Post #146

Master
Group Icon

Reading- standing slack-jawed in amazement- or perhaps that is my normal state... No matter, comments are not simply "owed" but DESERVED. Beginning with 1.7-

Beware the Yskraich that lives out beyond
Two hands take your soul
Two hands break your bones
If last hand you shake in friendship’s frail bond
Kiss goodbye your all
Your world soon be gone...

Ayelid nursery rhyme, translated by Tar-Meena, Chief Archivist, The Arcane University. 3E 440.

Eeep! And also- hooray for Tar-Meena!

“The Nine will protect us all.”

“Oooh, lucky us then!” Said another woman with much scorn, this one Deaconsson thought, suggested washerwoman.

Funny how the people down at the bottom of the pyramid seem a lot less "spiritual" than those at the top...

“Sir Ralman!!” Ordan shouted, “It is most impolite and insensitive to eat the cheese of people so endangered!!

“Especially without offering me some first.” Ordan went over and ate some of the food.

And to follow that moment of gallows humor with-

“Oh hells. Bloody heroic last stand again, isn’t it?”

“Something like that.”

Jacks nodded. “Something like that.” He grinned and was gone.

Deaconsson raised an eyebrow and looked up the corridor.

“Something like that.”

More to follow- MUCH more.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jan 20 2012, 05:33 AM
Post #147

Councilor
Group Icon

NEW PARTS ALERT!!!... biggrin.gif ...

Cheers Athynae...Glad you liked it in the end, and I apologise for running around the years with it all... smile.gif ...

Many thanks Acadian and mALX...Yes mALXie, he was comiserating Galasafon on the whole thing...His sister as well as his Brother-in-law...Plus, his Brother in arms too remember...We know a song about that... huh.gif ...

Aaamywho...

Grits...Farn is way more of a badass than he's appearing in that other thread...I'm not sure that I'm not demeaning him somehow, but hey...He's my character and I'll take the piss if I want... tongue.gif ...

And thank you for thinking it worth re-reading...I'm so...Grateful?...Not sure that's entirely the word I'm looking for, but Thank You So Much... smile.gif ...

Treydog...WOW...Right back atcha... blink.gif ...Thank you so much for that...And there's much more coming?...Thank you matey...

Reet...

Previously on KOTNNK...Galasafon had been cleansing the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary at Cheydinhal...During which he'd found a note requesting the killing of Caroline McWylde's father, and fought a Vampire, contracting Porphyric Haemophilia...Galasafon had lost a period of time during which the Vampire had been killed...The Bosmer had then run into Ras'sheena who'd related the tale of Glarthr's demise...

We continue...

1.11 – Galasafon (pt5)

3E 434 – Cheydinhal Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.

Galasafon woke with a start. The weariness of last night’s work having exacted it cost soon after his reverie began.

A moment’s terror passed as he remembered about the Vampirism, but unless his information was wrong about the way that it worked, the pounding of his heart made it clear that he should be more concerned with a different problem.

When was he cured?..

More importantly, How was he cured?

The sword fell and...The sword fell...

Galasafon frowned, stared at the floor, stood up, screamed, grabbed the chair and threw it against the wall, shattering it into pieces.

The Bosmer walked down to where the pile of clothes marked the remains of the Vampire he’d been fighting. An outline of dust, all that was left of the man.

What the hells did I do?

The sword fell...

---------------------------------------------------

Galasafon stood outside the door of the Dark Brotherhood’s sanctuary-disguising house. Concealed once more within the Shroud, he watched the morning pedestrians ambling about. Some City-Watchmen, some people talking in pairs, others walking with purpose, several simply enjoying the morning air.

He shook his head. You have no idea what happens below this house, Galasafon thought, the terror you would feel if you did.

Still feeling sick from the revelation of Glarthir’s more recent demise and more, the Bosmer started walking generally southeast, towards the bridge that spanned the river that ran through the centre of Cheydinhal. He’d always liked the city, and standing on the Lass Bridge - as it was called - watching the water always seemed to be calming.

Keeping his head down, he walked past the half-timbered houses of the residential area. Despite neatly avoiding several collisions at the very last moment, he nevertheless wasn’t prepared for a hand on his shoulder. He started, but then span away from the hand.

“I did try to get your attention a couple of times, but I’m trying not to look insane calling to an empty space.” Said Robert McWylde. “Now, drop the Shroud and I can talk at a slightly better volume.” Robert smiled and waved at a passer-by, then looked down again. “Galas?”

Galasafon sighed and dropped the Shroud spell prompting a squeal from a passing lady. “One of these days you’ll tell me how you can see into that. You’re the only one that can.”

“Well, there is another, but that’s beside the point. Anyway, why should I give up my advantage?” Robert smiled.

Galasafon chuckled once and shrugged. “Can we walk to the bridge? I want to stand for a while”

“Of course.”

The two friends walked in silence for a while. Robert admiring the houses and waving occasionally to acquaintances and neighbours from his time living in the city.

They reached the bridge and simply stood admiring the blue of the water. The flowers on the banks giving an eye watering array of colours to focus on.

After a short while Robert said, “It’s not you I can see. It’s the...” He paused seemingly searching for the word. “Imprint maybe? Kynareth’s touch on you.” He shrugged. “It’s part of the Talos gift. It’s how I can see when someone’s genuinely been...Called.”

“How did you know I was here?”

“I didn’t,” Robert said with genuine surprise, “I was here for a meeting with the Count. He’s giving us some land, over near the castle to build a new Chapter-house for the Knights. Large though the one we have now is, we need something purpose-built.”

“I bet Brellin’s in his element.”

Robert nodded and looked away. “And Gukimir.” There was a pause, a sigh, and then, “Anyway, I was here for that with Farn, who’s got some Fighters Guild business of some sort as well. He went to that and I was just coming from the Chapel so everything’s all...” he waved his hand, “On...And I saw you. I was as surprised to see you as you were about me.”

There was further silence for a minute and Robert winced and looked down at the Bosmer.

Are you going to tell me what you’re doing here? There’s obviously something bothering you.”

Galasafon sighed and related the past couple of weeks to Robert, culminating in the news of Glarthir.

The Knight-Commander shook his head. “But how? We never found a damned thing along the river save fish and mudcrabs. And we’ve all been in Skingrad hundreds of times since then.”

“I just think the Universe likes to take the piss out of us sometimes.”

Robert inhaled sharply.

“Oh, don’t start on me again Commander.” Galasafon spat. “You know out of all of us, even Farn, I’m the least comfortable with all this Nine business. Denying them now would be like denying that the sun rises and sets. But worship? Why? What have they done for me to worship them? Glarthir died because he attacked a prostitute when she insisted on payment not for what he did to my sister...His wife?..His kriffing kids for...” Galasafon started breathing heavily. “I have too much hate Robert. For everyone and everything. I am not worthy of being a Knight. This with my sister broke me somehow. The betrayal, the loss, all of it. And then...Then, to top it all. The Emperor.”

Robert put a hand on Galasafon’s shoulder, but the Bosmer shrugged it off. “Don’t patronise me.”

McWylde turned around, put his back to the rail and looked the opposite way to the Bosmer.

“Why did he send us all away Robert? Did he feel like we’d all betrayed him because you’d followed me? Foss died because of me.”

“No Galas. You’re carrying way too much guilt over that.” Robert said, but Galasafon continued as if he hadn’t heard.

“He sent me and Brellin to Valenwood. You were sent to Anvil, Farn was already gone.”

“Yes, but he sent the others away too Galas. There was none of us left to defend him. Gods know how it would have turned out otherwise. It was as if he knew what was coming and put us all out of harm’s way so we could stop what happened next.”

“And yet the others haven’t come back.” Galasafon looked up at McWylde

Robert made a humourless smirk with one side of his mouth. “Yeah, I know. There’s still time.”

Galasafon shook his head.

“Look, Galasafon. Take some time to rest. You’ve been non-stop since you came back from The Shivering Isles. This year’s been hard on us all...Oh, that reminds me, your old friend Gaius Prentus has transferred here.”

“Oh.” Galasafon had his eyebrows up.

“Yes, it seemed he had some issues with being able to do it until I asked Farn to go and have a word with the Commander of the Watch in Bravil.”

“Hah!” Galasafon actually smiled, “Which word was that?”

“I think it was “Sit” First at least.” Robert smiled, turned to the Bosmer and then looked down. “In the end Prentus is here as second to that new Captain.”

McWylde sighed “Galas, I want you to stay here for a while. You love this place...This place.” He said, patting the rail of the bridge. “Help in the current chapter-house for a while. It’s not permanent.” Robert said quickly, seeing Galasafon’s face. “I’ll be about often enough, and everyone’s about at somepoint.”

They continued to watch the water. “I think we could all do with a rest,” said Galasafon, “especially you. After all that with your new wife...” The Bosmer’s hand shot to his belt-pouch, “Oh Gods, I forgot about this.” He passed the note he’d found in the sanctuary to Robert.

His Commander read it and vanished. Galasafon knew that the draught of wind meant that Robert McWylde had given himself to the speed-fortify.

He watched as the note drifted down to the river and vanished into the currents.

Galasafon disappeared into the Shroud.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Jan 20 2012, 07:02 AM
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 20 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #148

Master
Group Icon

Finally all caught up. First off, all the timeswitching confuses me, even with the dates in bold black letters. I'm stupid like that. So I just go with two periods. Present (yskraich trouble and all that) and past (pretty much all of our little Bosmer's deeds)

Speaking of which, I had a good laugh out of the way you put down Lucien. You used his original 'look at me, I'm so hard and tough' lines and turned them into a complete joke. I also like the flashback to Glarthir. I guess the paranoid loonie must have been sane at some point or he'd never made it into the knightly orders.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Jan 20 2012, 02:14 PM
Post #149

Knower
Group Icon

The interaction between Robert and Galasfon was very realistic, and very touching. I got the feeling there is far more between them than just being knights of the order.

This line made me shiver:
He shook his head. You have no idea what happens below this house, Galasafon thought, the terror you would feel if you did.

YA THINK:
"I just think the Universe likes to take the piss out of us sometimes."

This entire part was a look into Galas that was quite profound to me:
"Oh, don't start on me again Commander." Galasafon spat. "You know out of all of us, even Farn, I'm the least comfortable with all this Nine business. Denying them now would be like denying that the sun rises and sets. But worship? Why? What have they done for me to worship them? Glarthir died because he attacked a prostitute when she insisted on payment not for what he did to my sister...His wife?..His kriffing kids for..." Galasafon started breathing heavily. "I have too much hate Robert. For everyone and everything. I am not worthy of being a Knight. This with my sister broke me somehow. The betrayal, the loss, all of it. And then...Then, to top it all. The Emperor."

Awesome write, one of my faves from this story thus far, but I am sure there will be more. I look forward to them all. Keep it up.

Impatiently waiting....

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 20 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #150

Ancient
Group Icon

You have no idea what happens below this house, Galasafon thought, the terror you would feel if you did.

I don't know why I assumed everyone in Cheydinhal knew what they had in their midst, but this sentence really hit me as the truth - what a great detail to not have bypassed that aspect of it !!!

“I did try to get your attention a couple of times, but I’m trying not to look insane calling to an empty space.” Said Robert McWylde. “Now, drop the Shroud and I can talk at a slightly better volume.” Robert smiled and waved at a passer-by, then looked down again. “Galas?”

Galasafon sighed and dropped the Shroud spell prompting a squeal from a passing lady. “One of these days you’ll tell me how you can see into that. You’re the only one that can.”

Absolutely loved this whole interchange!

The comfortableness between McWilde and Galasafon was really well done. Great Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 20 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #151

Councilor
Group Icon

How funny that Glarthir was able to hide in Skingrad, given how much running away from Glarthir goes on in the game. biggrin.gif

I love this surprise meeting in Cheydinhal with the quiet talk on the bridge. You gave a real feeling of the setting, it was just like being there. Their friendship and emotions felt very real to me, just wonderful the whole way through. I think this may be my favorite scene so far! smile.gif

And of course there’s still the mystery, what the hells did he do? (Unless I’ve missed a clue! ohmy.gif )

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 21 2012, 02:11 AM
Post #152

Paladin
Group Icon

I like how Robert could locate Galasafon through the shroud. Others are correct – you did a wonderful job with their conversation. And Gaius Prentis is now in Cheydinhal; I’ll bet he’s happy about that! So it looks like Galasafon may stay there awhile while the new facility is being built. And Robert has ‘family’ business to attend. Nice job! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Jan 21 2012, 01:53 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Jan 21 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #153

Master
Group Icon

Galasfon's musings were enjoyable to read, and the point he made about the Dark Brotherhood hiding underneath Cheyindal was, like for Malx, a new and interesting one for me. In fact, I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before.

In any case, loved it, and looking forwards to more.
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:07 PM