9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ekali of the Frozen Heights, Book one
McBadgere
post Jul 1 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #101

Councilor
Group Icon

Oooh, excellent stuff... biggrin.gif ...

So, the man with green eyes from another time takes a shine to the Khajiit and starts flirting...

Curious to see what happened to the earlier affectioned laydee... tongue.gif ...

Loved the way you put the ending to the Bleak Falls Barrow quest that you fast forwarded past, in... biggrin.gif ...

Brilliant stuff...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 2 2012, 03:27 AM
Post #102

Master
Group Icon

Balgruuf gave a small bow in reply, and Ekali made an awkward curtsey.
Cute. happy.gif

Tamriel. Do you mean Cyrodiil? Tamriel is the entire continent, which includes Skyrim.

Sorcalin seems friendly… I like him better than the others we’ve seen around Ekali. He ran off pretty fast after getting her outside. Hrongar seems to have an unexpected change of heart. His brother whip him into shape? tongue.gif

I like reading how Ekali and Gladio work together.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Saquira
post Jul 2 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #103

Finder
Group Icon

McBadgere: That shows how much I know about flirting tongue.gif See, he wasn't supposed to flirt with her, he was just supposed to be his normal gentlemany self. Hehe, Sorcalin is of the market at the time, so he isn't really available for being with Ekali. And well, she isn't really Sorcalin's type. Not that he is hers either for that matter.

You know what's funny? My biggest problem at the moment is who Ekali is going to fall in love with, and who will be attracted by her. I've got a few npcs' I'm considering, because I would prefer to have her be with someone who I haven't created, but I don't know. There aren't that many orcs in the game, and most of the Nords don't like khajiits'. I mean, when would she have a reason to visit a stronghold?

King Coin: Yep, I meant Cyrodiil. I keep mixing those two up, though I have no idea of why wacko.gif

I like Sorcalin as well, he's fun to write about. And I would expect that Balgruuf is the cause of Hrongar's apology. Hrongar doesn't seem like the kind of man that would give in easily, or admit that he's wrong.

Anyway, here's the new version of the poem. About paragraph 7, Mirmulnir means "Allegiance Strong Hunt", which could be translated to loyal hunter. Just in case you didn't know. The full meaning of that paragraph will be explained soon.

To Skyrim

In a carriage of wood
On ill-made roads
Across the Jeralls
To the North

They took me away
From all that I knew
I fought by their side,
Yet they'd cast me away

Dragonborn?
What do they expect?
Dragonborn!
How could I help?

From Cyrodiil to Skyrim,
The destiny that's mine
A new life to lead

With Nords to execution,
A jarl, thief and warrior
A distant roar came closer
Gifted time in which to run

Blood seeps from an oozing wound,
And my heart carries me forth
Soft paws follow along,
As my hands raise the blade
We fight for our lives under the rising sun,
Blood and gore wherever I turn

Beneath a broken tower,
We fight the loyal hunter
Then his chuckle pierce the night,
As I writhe beneath his gaze

They would forge me to their will,
Beg me fetch every thing
Call me aar(servant),
I dare you
Dahmaan bron, (remember Nord)
Zu'u Staadnau (I'm unbound)

Briinah! (sister)
Their cries pierce the night
Fahdon! (friend)
They would greet me as their own

How do I deny their call?
They who name me kin
It is what my soul craves
Yet I stand here still

Blades pledge allegiance,
Yet expect me to serve
A tusked marauder,
Bears the face of a friend

Who is friend and who is foe?
Who will help me stand?
When all is said and all is done,
Who will be there still?

This post has been edited by Saquira: Jul 3 2012, 01:52 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 2 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #104

Master
Group Icon

I do like this new version better than the other. Good stuff even if I'm not sure what it all means. Some of this hasn't come to pass yet I'm assuming.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 2 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #105

Ancient
Group Icon

I am loving these poems! You are talented in so many ways!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Saquira
post Jul 5 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #106

Finder
Group Icon

King Coin & mALX: Thank you ^^ Yeah, it'll all make sense eventually. Some will hopefully make sense when you've read the following chapter.

The following chapter and all those like it are pretty much disconnected from the rest of the story, except for the fact that they speak of what happens in the other parts and what happens in the rest of the story governs who shows up in Dezhahnu, as I've decided to call it. Which is why I'm counting them as individual chapters.

[Explanations of the dragon language will be provided within these]

Previously on Ekali of the Frozen Heights: Ekali got the opportunity to speak to Sorcalin, but didn't learn much more than the facts that he isn't with the Thalmor and knows a whole lot more than he should. Hrongar interrupted them when they were speaking -which caused Sorcalin to leave- to ask for her forgiveness and to ask if she'd join them for dinner. Then, Ekali dreamed of what happened just after she found the word wall in bleak falls barrow. Next, any more surprises about what it means to be dragonborn?

Dezhahnu 1

A cold wind gracing her face caused the khajiit to open her eyes, and she stumbled backwards after taking in her surroundings but was brought to a stop by the rock-wall a foot behind her. She stood on a ledge that was a few feet wide, overlooking the northern part of Skyrim from above the clouds, and her heart beat frantically as she looked around for a way to get out of there.

Then a rumbling chuckle reverberated through the air, and a dragon came into her view, perched as he was on an odd pillar a short distance away. Though Ekali dared not believe it, she knew as soon as she saw him what his name was, and stared at him in shock.

“Mirmulnir?” She blinked a few times, reluctant to believe the fact that the dragon she'd killed herself sat in front of her.

"Drem Yol Lok Dovahkiin [Greetings dragonborn]. As I recall it, we were never properly introduced. I am Mirmulnir. Your inner mind is, amusing, I think," the dragon said and bowed his head to her. The woman was startled by his willingness to speak, but dared to dislodge herself from the wall to see him better.

"My name is Ekali. What do you mean when you refer to my inner mind? Where are we?" she asked, looking around once again. Stars covered the sky above her, and though her sight was mostly hid by clouds beneath, she could see the faint outline of buildings. It was with a start that she realised that the river going by far beneath them was the White River, and that the cluster of buildings was Whiterun.

"Then I greet you Ekali Do Strunmah Diin [of the Frozen Heights (lit. of mountain freeze)]. And that is where we are, your inner mind. We more commonly call it dezhahnu [lit. fate dream, used to refer to the place that every dragonborn visit when they sleep, after their powers have been activated.] . Everything in our close presence, is here because you wish it. Though I wonder why that is here, Nau Monahven [On the Throat of the World]," Mirmulnir said, and she looked at him.

"My inner mind... What would happen if I fell of the mountain?" Ekali asked him.

"You would loose it, your inner mind. Or go mad, as you mortals say. Nothing here can affect your mortal body. No, injuries that are sustained here, they will affect your mind. So tread carefully, briinah [sister]." The woman looked at him in shock, and looked at her surroundings with a completely different view.

"How do I get away from here?" Her voice shook as she spoke, and the dragon sighed as he cast his gaze against the horizon.

"By no choice that is yours, Dovhakiin. You will wake when the sun rises, or when someone wakes you in the living world," then he looked at her, and she sunk down on the ledge as dread filled her body.

:-:-:-:-:

When the moons had shifted slightly on the sky, and Mirmulnir had circled the mountain a few times to see the magnitude of the dreamscape, the khajiit stood up again to speak with the dragon. He perched on the pillar when he saw her new stance.

”So, have you any idea of what to do, briinah [sister]?” the dragon spoke to her, and she furrowed her brow. A light snowfall had begun a while ago, and so a light dusting of white covered her armour. She brushed it of her face before she spoke to him.

”Is there any way for me to get higher up the mountain, or make this ledge larger?” she asked, causing a smile to come upon the dragons face. She frowned when she saw it, and stepped back towards the cliff wall.

“I wondered when you'd begin to ask the right questions. Zu'u ahst hin ahmik, dovahkiin. [I'm at your service, dragonborn.] Come,” he said and flapped his wings so that he left the pillar and came to be just next to Ekali. She flinched when she realized what he intended.

“You want me to ride on your back?” she burst out, and the hunter chuckled.

“There's little else to do, briinah [sister],” he answered and held himself as close to the ledge as he could. Still, it was quite a distance between the two of them, and the khajiit was doubtful of whether she could make the jump to his back. Taking a deep breath, she took the few steps she could quickly and threw herself across the open space that laid between her and the dragons' neck.

Wide eyed and gasping for air, she seated herself with one leg on each side of the dragons neck. And when Mirmulnir was certain that she wouldn't fall, he flapped his wings faster to carry them forwards and upwards through the air. She clung to his scales for dear life as the two ascended, and looked down against her better judgment. The khajiit female whimpered as she saw the ground far beneath them, causing a chuckle to issue from the dragons' maw. He beat his wings harder against the chill air, and ascended at a sharper angle.

“Haalgron hau Golgronfron! [Hold on (“Haalgron” is lit. “hand bind”)] You do not want to follow Pelagius!” the dragon called out to her, just as a cold wind hit them and caused him to veer to the left, so that the khajiit leaned away from the mountain. She gasped in surprise and clung even harder to his scales, squeezing her eyes shut so as to not see the danger beneath them. Then, a few moments afterward, her body shook as Mirmulnir touched down on a large plateau on top of the mountain. “Aam, nid Monahven.” [Hmm, no throat of the world]

“Golgronfron?” he asked, puzzled, after a little while of looking at her where she clung on his back. Then she opened her eyes wide and drew in a ragged gasp, causing a smile to come upon the dragon's eyes. The air was colder at their present location than on the ledge earlier, so the khajiit shuddered slightly when she finally managed to move of the dragon. “Cold, briinah?” he asked with a chuckle, and she threw a glare at him, but walked a few steps away and the stomped her feet a bit to get back the feeling in her feet.

“I'll get used to it,” she muttered before she turned back to him, and this time she was the one who looked puzzled. “What was it you called me? Brina, and that other longer word,” she continued, and Mirmulnir chuckled as he folded his wings in properly.

“It is my language, our language. You are dov [dragonkind] too, but in different way. Briinah is sister. Perhaps not from same female, but sister none the less. Golgronfron is the name you have been given by us, the rest of the dov. You are kin, but bound to earth. This Golgronfron means,” he answered in that slow way that she'd started to become accustomed to. Ekali frowned when he'd finished speaking.

“What do you mean with my being kin? And what's dov?” she asked, and the dragon tilted his head slightly, like a curious dog would sometimes. He had a very ponderous expression upon his face.

“You are kin, this I know. It is all I need to tell you. Do you want to know specifics? Then ask Alduin, he knows also. The name was his idea. We are dov [dragonkind]. I am dovah [dragon], and all dovahhe [dragons] together is dov. You are not dovah, but dov none the less.”

“Alduin?” If anything, the woman only looked more confused than earlier, and the dragon would, if he'd been able to, probably have furrowed his brow.

“You will meet Alduin. Not now, but soon. He is curious about you.” Having said that, the dragon seemed contempt, and smiled at her again. Ekali opened her mouth to speak, but closed it again with a sigh.

“Would you teach me the dragon language?” She asked instead, though she didn't hold much hope that her request would be accepted. He looked thoughtful for a minute as his eyes covered the landscape around them.

“Yes, I will. Zu'u sizaan het, nid filok [I am lost here, no escape]. It could be amusing, perhaps.” He nodded to reinforce his words, and looked back at the khajiit. Snow was once again covering most of her armour. She seemed to remember something then, and open her mouth to speak about it.

“Earlier, in the air, you said that I do not want to follow Pelagius. What did you mean by that?” A grim smile showed on the dragon's face when she'd said it.

“Pelagius III, Pelagius the mad. So he is and was called. He fell of height in his dezhahnu [used to refer to the place that every dragonborn visit when they sleep, after their powers have been activated.], or so Zeymah [brother] said. You do not want to be mad, so you do not want to fall. And hence you do not wish to follow Pelagius,” Mirmulnir stated matter-of-factually.

“Pelagius the mad was dragonborn?” Ekali asked with wide eyes and disbelief shining from every part of her body.

“Yes, his dezhahnu [used to refer to the place that every dragonborn visit when they sleep, after their powers have been activated.] began though he had not absorbed a dragon-soul, and so he had no one to tell him of the dangers,” the dragon said and laid down in the snow. Ekali who had nothing more to say, sat down as well, to ponder the things that she'd learned. As well as to recover from the shock.

Author's note:

I've found nothing that indicates that Pelagius was dragonborn, except that he's related to Tiber Septim. This fact, and the part about the dragonborn coming to some kind of dreamscape when he or she sleeps, are both completely made up by me.

Further explanation of the name Golgronfron as well as dezhahnu;

Golgronfron – lit. Earth bind kin. Used by dragons that acknowledge her as their kin, though they pity the fact that she can't fly, which means she's bound to the ground.
Dezhahnu – lit. fate dream, used to refer to the place that every dragonborn visit when they sleep, after their powers have been activated. Fate, since a lot of the point of being dragonborn is to slay dragons, and since it's after they've slain their first dragon that the dreams begin. There are exceptions to when the dreams begin, hence Pelagius the mad.

This post has been edited by Saquira: Jul 14 2012, 10:36 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 8 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #107

Master
Group Icon

The beginning the whole thing was very interesting, I like the direction (I think) that you are taking this. Will the souls of other slain dragons begin to appear there as she kills more? Is this how she’s going to learn her Shouts? Through the dragons that she slays and come to be a part of the realm within her mind?

Maybe instead of putting translations at the end, put them near the sentences within brackets or something. Like this:

Zu'u ahst hin ahmik, dovahkiin [I am at you service, dragonborn]

Not perfect, but much easier than scrolling around.

This post has been edited by King Coin: Jul 8 2012, 06:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saquira
post Jul 16 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #108

Finder
Group Icon

King Coin: Yeah, all the dragons whom Ekali slays will appear in Dezhahnu. Learning shouts will pretty much be the same as in the game though. Mirmulnir, and possibly other dragons, will only teach her how to speak the language and understand what the dragons say.

I'll do that.

Previously on Ekali of the Frozen Heights: Ekali found out that dragonborn go to a place called Dezhahnu when they sleep, where they meet all of the dragons they've slain. And not only does she meet them, but if they were to push her of the mountain, a fall which would kill her in the real world, she would go mad. She also found out that the dragons call her Golgronfron.

Chapter 4.1 Elsweyr fondue and bread

The light snowfall carried on a slight wind began in the late morning, a while after Ekali and Gladio had left the city of Whiterun. Their steps took them on the road north of the Throat of the World, the running water shutting out all other noises in the beginning before the road separated more from the river. Nothing stopped their passing, indeed few living creatures could be seen along the road, except the occasional elk and hare. Salmon climbed up the river, and birds of different kinds flew overhead. Yet the woman did not see her surroundings.

While the wolfs' nose was on the road, investigating every rock and bush that they came across, the khajiits' eyes were gazing of into the distance. She absent-mindedly fingered the hilt of her short-sword as dozens of thoughts churned in her mind, causing the frown that adorned her face. In the city she'd gotten her hands on a better bag, one made of the pelt of a snow bear, as well as a couple of pouches to fasten around her waist. She used them now, as they travelled down the road.

Her ears flicked suddenly forward as two towers, a stone bridge spanning the distance between them, appeared before them, and she took her gaze from the horizon to see what was going on beneath it. A caravan had almost completely passed the towers, but now people were sending arrows raining down upon the rear and the caravan guards, both mounted and on foot, were fighting a small melee force on the ground.

Suddenly back in the present, Ekali gestured for the wolf to follow her closely as she burst into a sprint, taking the forsworn bow of her back. When she where a small distance away from the caravan, the khajiit stopped and called for Gladio to aid the guards in their fight as she fitted an arrow to the string and aimed at one of the bandits standing on the bridge. Her companion needed no further instructions as he flung himself at an Imperial in leather armour, easily getting his jaws around the marauders throat since the male had his back to the two of them. The woman paid no further attention to the wolf as she focused her attention on the archer, and let loose the arrow.

The loud splash as the bandit hit the water alerted the other archers to her presence, and a few of them switched their focus, forcing Ekali to take cover behind a boulder not to be turned into a pincushion. Hearing several arrows scatter against the ground where she'd been previously, the khajiit drew another arrow before she left cover, and quickly aimed in on one of the bandits before releasing it. She continued like that until all the bandits on the bridge had either fallen into the river or retreated into the towers. Then she shouldered the bow and drew her great-sword, turning her attention to the caravan guards whom had almost defeated the bandits. The drivers of the wagons had managed to move them a bit further away.

With a last cry out, one of the bandits fell, and the rest turned tail and fled into the tower. Gladio threw himself at the legs of the last one, forcing him to the ground in a tumble of iron and fur, and the khajiit felt a sting of fear course through her as the warrior turned to strike at the animal. The wolf however, quickly bounded out of his way, allowing one of the others to strike the killing blow. Then he gave a soft sound and trotted up to Ekali to put his head against her side, having felt her fear.

She released the sword with one of her hands and used it to stroke his bloodstained fur. Then her eyed turned to the guards of the caravan, most of which she now noticed were khajiits. They looked at the two curiously, and had not yet sheathed their weapons because of the bandits close proximity. Ekali took a deep breath and walked up to them, Gladio turning to follow close by her side. One of the khajiits, a male wearing steel armour, stepped forward to meet her.

“You have a good eye, and the wolf is a fine fighter. I am Do'Rak, and I am in charge of those who guard this caravan. It is unusual to meet another khajiit in these lands, and when the threat has been eliminated, we would be pleased if you would share our fire,” the male said and nodded to her, glancing towards the towers occasionally.

“I am Ekali. Are you going in after them?” she answered him, gesturing to the tower with a nod of her head. The rest of the guards were standing a few feet of, watching the entry to the stone buildings while they were waiting for their leader to finish speaking with the newcomer.

“Yes, we do not have far to travel until we reach the camp-site, and if we do not take care of them now there is a chance they'll attack us tonight.” The male turned from her then to issue orders to the others, and she sheathed her great-sword again, taking out the bow and moving within sight of the bridge between the two towers. About twelve people guarded the caravan, and eight of those now stood at the base of the tower while the rest stayed with the wagons. She knew she'd only be in the way if she headed into the stone building with the others.

The caravan guards formed up two and two. First there were two wielding heavy armour, large shields and sword or mace, behind them another two had taken out their short-bows and stringed them. The following four held their weapon of choice, and three of them were clad in leather armour. Then the group moved in unison into the tower as Ekali watched them.

Turning her attention to the bridge again, the woman put an arrow to the bow-string and waited as Gladio sat down by her side. After only a few moments, she heard the clashing of steel from the tower and then the clanking of iron against stone as someone fell down the stairs. She winced when a loud crack sounded through the air. Not soon after a bandit backed out onto the bridge, drawing her bow taught, and Ekali merely waited a moment to assure that no-one was coming out after her before knocking her own arrow and releasing it at the human marauder.

A battle-cry was heard, and an orc wearing steel armour fell of the top of the tower, landing with a crash on the rocky shore of the river. The fur of a tail flickered into sight briefly at the top, but then rushed back down to the floor just beneath where the opening of the bridge was. Then the eight guards emerged onto the bridge in the same formation as before, and she could see those who wore shields raise them as arrows flew from the other side of the river. The female khajiit stayed still as she did not know if she could hit the bandits from that far away, and instead watched the others as they covered ground slowly but securely.

Every now and then the archers in the group would peek out behind the shields and fire an arrow each before once again ducking in behind the other warriors. Then as a group of marauders rushed out of the opposing tower, the two warriors in the front fell to one knee, allowing the two archers to shoot above their heads at the hostile men. As soon as the arrows were fired, causing a few of the bandits to stagger, the warriors once again stood up and met their enemies head on. It was an effective strategy, and showed perfectly well the advantages one could have when working with a group. Ekali herself had taken part in similar strategies during her time with the legion.

She kept her bow close at hand as she waited for the warriors to finish with the bandits, ears peaked in case anyone would sneak up on her. Soon she could see the group walking leisurely back across the bridge, and she put her bow back on her back, moving closer to the base of the tower.

When the caravan guards came out through the bottom door, Ekali was there to greet them. Most of them continued on past her with nothing more than a nod, to help get the caravan moving again, but Do'Rak walked up to her instead.

“I hope you will let me live up to my earlier promise,” the male said with a smile, gesturing for her to walk with him after the caravan that started moving right then.

“I'd be glad to do so,” she answered him and smiled faintly as they fell into step next to each other, Gladio taking up the rear. The merchants' caravan continued until after they'd crossed the border into Eastmarch, though Do'Rak did not walk with their guest for long.

:-:-:-:

The sun's setting found them camped by the river further across the border of the hold. Ekali had just finished cleaning up by the river and was heading to the camp-fire, and Gladio had run of to hunt. The wagons stood parked in a half-circle and most of the group of merchants and guards were seated around the fire in the middle over which a pot steewed, laughing at some joke that the woman hadn't heard. She could hear the soft neighing of the horses, and surmised that they weren't far away.

“Ah, there you are. Everyone, meet Ekali of the Frozen Heights,” Do'Rak said when he spotted her, and gestured for her to sit by the fire. She frowned slightly at the odd title he'd given her, but then smiled at all of the greetings that came her way.

The male khajiit was sitting next to a female, and having removed most of his armour, a small child was now sitting on his lap. Two other children also sat with the two, though both of them seemed to be a few years older than the first. Then there were another three khajiit's in commoners clothing, all female, and a few of the guards. A wood elf and a nord, dressed respectively in leathers and steel armour were the two anomalies.

When Ekali sat down, one of the other women spooned some of the contents of the pot into a bowl and gave it to her together with a piece of bread. She said thank you before she started eating from the bowl, and such a flurry of tastes met her tongue that she had to stop for a moment. It was mostly the taste of cheese and ale, but also another that seemed to dance with her taste buds.

“What is this?” she asked of one of the other females when she'd finished her meal, and the other woman smiled to her before answering.

“It's Elsweyr fondue, we make it of ale, eidar cheese and moon sugar.” Ekali knew she looked both surprised and alarmed, luckily the other khajiit had turned away just after she delivered her answer. The wood elf guard, seeing her discomfort, approached Ekali then.

“Don't worry, the moon sugar looses it's potency as a drug when it's cooked,” the male whispered to her, and she whispered her thanks back to him. He smiled at her one last time and nodded before stepping back again to survey the perimeter of the camp.

Ekali sat for a while more, listening to the camp's chatter, before another person walked up to her. He was another khajiit, and had taken of his steel armour in favour of comfort. He looked very young to the female's eyes, dark brown spots spread randomly across his golden fur. The brown shirt he wore was tight against his large chest, and a mane of dark-brown hair covered his head. The yellow eyes looked her up and down curiously as he approached.

“Hello, I am Urjora,” the male said, his voice an even tone that reminded her of the whisper the wind made as it flew through the trees. He sat down by her side with ease, and Ekali nodded to him in greeting.

“Hello,” she said, turning from him to look at the others around the fire. The ease with which all of them moved amongst each other and conversed, except for a few of the guards, implied that they'd known each other for a long time. The female khajiit found it pleasant simply to be able to witness such a thing again, having only been exposed to the guarded socialisation of nobles and soldiers since her arrest.

“You helped to fight the bandits, didn't you?” the young male asked, and she turned her gaze back to him. He truly did look like an innocent boy, and perhaps that's why the smile that adorned her face was so heartfelt. There beside her sat a person who'd yet to experience tragedy.

“Yeah, I did. How long have you been with the caravan?” His smile only got larger when she asked him.

“A couple of years now, they took me in when I came here from Elsweyr. I don't know where I'd be right now if it weren't for Do'Rak and Inerri,” the youngster said, and Ekali nodded knowingly.

“I felt the same way about the legion once,” she confided, and the male's eyes grew wider as he realised what she meant.

“You were a legionnaire? I didn't think they accepted anyone but humans in their ranks,” he said, and Ekali smiled faintly.

“Those times are long past. I never fought on the front-lines, but I knew many elves who did.”

“So what did you do?” His question came as no surprise to the female, nor did the fact that his admiration for her didn't seem to diminish.

“For the first year there was the training of course, then I took part in covert operations, weeding out bandit strongholds and such. Eventually I was reassigned to Bruma as a forester after the last one got himself killed. That means that I hunted down bandits, fugitives and of course animals that had gone feral,” Ekali said and took a sip from her water-flask, looking into the fire instead of at the youngster.

“What's it like? To kill people I mean.” She glanced back at him when he finished speaking and sighed.

“Have you never done it? You are part of a guard force,” she said and frowned at him. The lad looked down and scratched his head.

“No, I'm usually left to guard the wagons when anything like what happened today occurs, and we haven't come across that many ambushes. Sometimes I wonder if they're coddling me.” The male sighed, and she frowned in response.

“You should be happy you haven't had to kill anyone yet. It tears at your soul, and if you aren't careful it might destroy who you are. Don't kill anyone unless you have to,” Ekali spoke with a low tone as she looked into Urjora's eyes. His brow was furrowed when he met hers, though they still held that same childish adoration as before.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jul 19 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #109

Councilor
Group Icon

Sorry...One episode back...Will definately catch up...

Loved the whole dreamscape thing...Amazing stuff...

Loved the way that you brought the previously "oh look here's our first dragon" Dragon back to life...Brilliantly done...

Excellent story...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

Oh, the Pelagius thing was goosebump inducing...Nicely done...
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jul 20 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #110

Councilor
Group Icon

Right, I'm so completely over-excited about what you did with that caravan there, that if I don't watch it I will descend into downright creepy... biggrin.gif ...

Absolutely brilliant stuff...

Loved it with a passion...

Nicely done with the new characters...And the addition of the Bosmer and the Nord make it seem more real somehow...

Absolutely nice one!!...

*Applauds till his hands hurt*... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Saquira
post Jul 22 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #111

Finder
Group Icon

Counted the last chapter as last weeks episode, so here is this weeks! biggrin.gif I don't know how frequently I'll be able to post over the next few weeks, as I'm first going for a cruise with some family members and then we're visiting family further south.

Previously on Ekali of the Frozen Heights: Ekali came across a caravan when she'd left Whiterun and helped them take care of a group of bandits that had attacked them. In return, they invited her to eat and sleep at their camp. Do'Rak, the leader of the caravan's guards, also introduced her as "Ekali of the Frozen Heights".

Chapter 4.2 Up we go

“Well, this is where we part. I hope you meet no danger as you travel,” Do'Rak said as he flung the last of the bedrolls onto one of the wagons and turned back to the khajiit female with white fur. She smiled faintly and hoisted her bag onto her back, looking around at all of the travellers. The sun's rays scattered of her armour and he wondered, not for the last time, who she were.

“There was something I've been meaning to ask you since yesterday,” she said, and her gaze travelled to Urjora whom had hoisted one of the children onto his shoulders while he was speaking leisurely with Inerri. The male by her side followed her gaze, and smiled when he saw what she was looking at.

“Yes?” he asked, and Ekali turned her eyes back to him.

“When you introduced me yesterday, you called me 'Ekali of the Frozen Heights'. Why?” Her question caught him of guard, and he shrugged as he thought of what to answer.

“You came from the tundra, the frozen heights. There was no reason to call you otherwise, and you seemed in need of a new beginning. Especially after what you told Urjora yesterday,” the male met her confused look and smiled kindly. “We need to be going.” Ekali nodded at that, and took his hand when he offered it to her, fingers grasping his firmly. “We'll meet again I think.” He smiled at her.

“I hope so,” she answered with a genuine smile, and released Do'Rak's hand so that he could head towards his horse.

Just then, the wagon drivers got the horses to move forward, and the caravan guards formed up around them. Do'Rak looked back at the wagons and then smiled one last time to the woman before he mounted his horse and trotted after the others. Gladio came up beside her and barked happily, prompting her to run her fingers through his fur before taking her bow in hand and starting up the trail that would take her on the fastest route to Ivarstead.

The coloured leaves of the autumn forest fell softly to the ground as the setting suns last rays shone through it. The clear water flowed past the small village, increasing in speed as it moved past. Two stone bridges, one towards the Throat of the world, and one going towards the southern forest, offered two of the three entrances. The third came from the north, a small trail that had been created by the many hunters and prey that traversed it.

Six buildings made up the little village, if one did not count the burned down structure on the other side of the river. There was the inn, the mill, the small and newly built general-store and three houses in which farmers, fishermen and hunters had lived for many years. The order in the village had stayed the same for all those years, as the pilgrims headed for the mountain-trail provided a good income for its inhabitants.

Ekali and Gladio entered from the northern trail in the late afternoon, dirt and grime covering both of them from the long path upon which they'd travelled. They walked past one of the bridges, the mill and several houses before stopping before the inn. Then the two walked up the stairs and in through the doors of the wooden building.

The owner looked up as they came in, and most of the eyes in the room looked at the wolf first, until they spotted the khajiit next to whom the animal was walking. Then they looked at her instead. Wilhelm put away the cloth he'd been using to sweep the counter-top when they approached.

“What can I do for you?” he asked and nodded his greetings to the woman. She cast a look around the room as she took her coin-pouch from her side and withdrew a few coins.

“I'd like to rent a room and to buy a mug of mead and a bowl of soup,” she said as she put down the correct amount of drakes in front of him. Nodding, the nord scooped up the coins and put them in a lock-box before turning back to her.

“Certainly, you room is over there, and I'll bring out the food in a moment,” he gave a grudging smile as he pointed in the direction of the room. She smiled faintly back despite the suddenly tense atmosphere in the room. Then she walked with the wolf to the room he'd pointed out and sat down on the bed, placing her pack on the floor beside it. Leaning back, she closed her eyes and sighed, wishing that she was back with the caravan.

After that Ekali started to take of her armour, piling it on the bed for the time being, and told Gladio to stay in the room as she headed out into the common room and took a seat at a table in the corner. After a while Wilhelm came up and placed her food in front of her, and the khajiit smiled in thanks and ate the soup, avoiding the stares of the other people in the room.

It was early morning when they left the inn, setting their course towards the bridge that connected Ivarstead to the path going up the mountain. Clouds covered the skies, though they weren't dark, and as such she hoped it meant that no storm would come upon them on the mountain.

As they approached the bridge, Ekali saw two men standing on it, one of them leaning against the railing as they spoke. The one who was standing turned to her when they heard her approach, and asked her what her business was in the village. He did not seem hostile, yet she could not help to wonder about his intentions.

“I'm just passing through to get up the mountain,” she answered and frowned as he looked her over.

“Ah, a pilgrim. You're not going all the way up to High Hrothgar by any chance? If you are, could you deliver something for me?” the man asked as the other man straightened up from his leisurely stance by the stone railing and walked of into the village, and Gladio trotted of towards the mountain.

“I suppose you could say that, and yes. I am headed for High Hrothgar. What do you want me to deliver?” she said, still hesitant. He picked up a sack from beside his legs and tossed it to her, Ekali caught it easily.

“Those are supplies. I usually deliver them once a month, but I'm growing older and the path is treacherous. Come back when you're done up there and I'll give you something for your troubles.” He only waited for her to nod in confirmation before he walked past her towards the village, and Ekali packed the supplies with the rest of her equipment before following the path Gladio had taken, catching up with him only after a little while.

Hours passed as they trudged on along the winding trail, with only the bright skies above to watch their passing. They saw a few pilgrims as they walked, but no one bothered them, and the only other living creatures were birds and the occasional wolf that they had to dispatch of.

It was hard going, as snow often covered slick patches of ice on the stone steps, and the biting wind sought to throw them of their feet. Ekali stayed quiet all of the while, eyes and ears always alert for threats on their path. Gladio investigated unseen tracks, running to and fro across the trail. They stopped briefly to eat when the sun was at its highest, then they continued on again.

By mid-afternoon Ekali spotted something further up the snow-covered trail, and gestured for Gladio to be quiet. The wolf barred his teeth, for he'd already seen what lay before them. A snow troll was fighting someone up ahead, emitting strange noises as it did so. When the khajiit finally saw the steel-clad warrior fighting the snow troll, she drew her bow and nocked an arrow, telling Gladio to attack.

The wolf bounded forward just as she released her first arrow, piercing the unnatural creature through its shoulder, and the creature gave an unnatural shriek as it turned slightly from the warrior after knocking whoever it was back a few feet. First spotting the wolf, it rushed at the animal, but Gladio skipped aside just as they were about to meet, circling the creature to clamp his jaws down around one of its back legs. The troll swung at him, and he once again bounded out of its reach.

Ekali had once again readied an arrow, and released it just as the creature shrieked after the wolf again. By now the warrior had recovered, and ran while yelling some form of battle-cry at the creature. But the troll was faster, and was now running towards Ekali. Knowing that it would reach her before the warrior did, she put her bow away and unsheathed the great-sword that was slung over her back.

As the troll reached her, Ekali sidestepped and reached out her sword to slash at it. She managed to cut its arm, but then it spun around directly to reach out with the other and hit her as hard as it could. It hit her chest, and though the armour protected her from most of the damage, the force of the blow threw her backwards onto the cold ground. The creature hurried up to her as she struggled to get on her feet, the sword having been knocked out of her hands, and she watched as it lifted it's arms and retracted the long claws to finish her off.

Gladio was still quite a distance away, and though she pulled at her short-sword to draw it from its scabbard, it wouldn't shift. Cursing her damned luck, Ekali was just about to roll out of the way when before her eyes, a green sword poked through the trolls abdomen and it shrieked before falling to the side.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jul 28 2012, 04:50 AM
Post #112

Councilor
Group Icon

Ah, Ivarstead!!...Lovely place... biggrin.gif ...

Loved this chapter...Loved the scenery very much...

The fight with the troll was ace!!...Looking forward to seeing who her saviour is...

Oh, and Do'Rak is brilliant...I really like him...Hope he turns up again...

Brilliantly done stuff...

Enjoy your cruise!!... biggrin.gif ...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 28 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #113

Master
Group Icon

Ch 4.1

The Khajiit caravans! A lot of fun to meet them on the road, I’m sure meeting fellow Khajiit is a pleasure for Ekali. They’re very good at clearing out bandits. Nice strategy. I wish the NPCs in Skyrim would use formations instead of running everywhere.

Invited to share a fire. I think Do’Rak has an eye on Ekali.

Something that I noticed in your writing, whenever you write ‘off’ you consistently drop the second ‘f.’ It’s rather distracting.

Oh, it looks like Do’Rak already has a mate. He was just being friendly then. smile.gif And Ekali’s namesake is stated for the first time. Interesting.

Liked the conversation with the Ma’Khajiit.

Ch4.2

I hope she meets the Khajiit caravan again. They were wonderful to be around for her. Do’Rak seems to have much wisdom.

The caravan was much more comfortable than the inn. I think she wouldn’t stay long even if she wanted to.

I wonder who the warrior is fighting the troll? For some reason I imagine a delusional Nord who thinks he’s the Dragonborn. biggrin.gif Green sword? Must be glass.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saquira
post Jul 29 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #114

Finder
Group Icon

Do'Rak gave me the feeling of a father figure by the time I'd finished chapter 4.2, and I like him that way. I think Ekali needs someone like that after all she's gone through.

Got back from the cruise the day before yesterday. It was fun and gave me some needed time away from home. Upon coming home I saw your comments and was inspired to write, so I might be posting again before we leave. We'll see. I also got ideas about what will happen to Ekali in the distant future, and am now doing a lot of thinking about stuff that won't even remotely affect the first book in the story.

One, should I write about what I was to have happen in between book one and two, and have that be book two instead? Hence pushing book two back to book three. I'd probably then post both books simultaneously, since book two would thus contain very little that have anything to do with the games, and would therefore rely on my world-building skills (among others). It would span the happenings of one year. I was originally thinking that she'd just come back to Skyrim in book two and no one would know where she'd been off to.

Two, how the * do I pull of turning the civil war into something that is actually strategically believable, and not just a series of skirmishes in which the dragonborn makes all the difference? Probably a far bigger challenge than the other thing. I'll also have to make it so that Ekali is a great strategist, or simply really inspiring, since it's hers returning and joining __ that causes an end to the stalemate. Does anyone know of any good articles on medieval strategy?

Third, I've got a better idea of the romance that's coming her way now, though I doubt it'll be really apparent until late third book, which is very far off.

Four, I need names for dragons, all kinds. Dragons with neutral allegiance towards the conflict coming up between Alduin and Ekali, hence they don't care who wins or not. Dragons who'll only stop trying to kill her once she's defeated them, dragons who won't even stop then, and dragons who're friendly towards her. One of which will eventually bring her to the place in which the second book takes place.

Five, this project is going to be so much longer than what I originally thought wacko.gif

Six, should I post my list of original characters? Might be a good idea. Yeah, I think I will. In Sorcalin's thread though, and I'll include every single character that appear in my Elder scroll stories, not just Ekali's.

King Coin: Sorry, I keep mixing up off and of as well. A delusional Nord tongue.gif While it's a fun idea, it isn't exactly what I had in mind, but you'll see.

This post has been edited by Saquira: Jul 29 2012, 10:59 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jul 29 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #115

Councilor
Group Icon

Um...I'm always scared to give advice because I'm the worst...And I mean hissy-fit absolute worst at following it...I'm just going to compare it to my KOTN Universe and hope you can get something out of it...

Thinking and planning is very cool...I love it...How will this affect things down the line? and all that...

One, should I write about what I was to have happen in between book one and two...*Snip*...

Um, unless that's an absolute in the way that you work...Maybe stop worrying about it in terms of Books?...Just write the story as you want...If you want to expand on stuff, then do so...I've interrupted the flow of the story so many times, but just 'cause something has occurred to me and I've gone with it...Point is, if you want to go longer, go longer...

Unless you're in a rush to get somewhere with it...Take as much time on the journey, as long as you know where you're going, I'm content to follow, at least...

In short...You have brilliant ideas for your world...I'm definately loving it...I'd definately love to see more of your ideas of how stuff is, there...And I'm all for using the games as the starting of it all and going somewhere else afterwards...But that's just me...I may just be told off as being a bad example... biggrin.gif ...

Two, how the * do I pull of turning the civil war into something that is actually strategically believable, and not just a series of skirmishes in which the dragonborn makes all the difference? Probably a far bigger challenge than the other thing. I'll also have to make it so that Ekali is a great strategist, or simply really inspiring, since it's hers returning and joining __ that causes an end to the stalemate. Does anyone know of any good articles on medieval strategy?

Working backwards...No, I don't know...Looking forward to whatever that is...And in mine, I've changed it all...Made Ulfric a renegade Knight of The Nine and that the Cyrodiil KOTN are going to Skyrim to take them all on...I've essentially re-written the whole thing...And when I eventually get to it...It's gonna be fun...

Just to give you an idea of how involved my planning got...Which you absolutely don't have to do...Because I'm a bit OCD with it all... biggrin.gif ...One of my Skyrim characters is called Wulff Olfsson...He is decended from my Oblivion character Farn Olfsson...I have, in a notebook, the dates of births from Farn's kid to Wulff...Now that's sad...Plus, my entire KOTN story is roughly planned from 10 years before Oblivion right the way through to 3 years after the ending of my Skyrim...Pretty much every major event between those two points are taken care of...I just have to write it... wacko.gif ...

Where were we?...Oh yes...That whole Civil War and the bit in the MQ where you have to give away the cities...I mean, WTF?...Idiots...Aaamywho...Good luck with that...Oooh...I just thought of something...Will pimm you... biggrin.gif ...

Third, I've got a better idea of the romance that's coming her way now, though I doubt it'll be really apparent until late third book, which is very far off.

Cool!!...I'll buy a hat!!... biggrin.gif ...

Four, I need names for dragons, all kinds. Dragons with neutral allegiance towards the conflict coming up between Alduin and Ekali, hence they don't care who wins or not. Dragons who'll only stop trying to kill her once she's defeated them, dragons who won't even stop then, and dragons who're friendly towards her. One of which will eventually bring her to the place in which the second book takes place.

As in, Alduin, Paarthrunax, Oodaving etc or names for types?...

Five, this project is going to be so much longer than what I originally thought

Hah... biggrin.gif ...Yes, I know what you mean...But that's a cool thing...I gave up on mine recently, because it was just turning into this gigantic thing which was hurting my head...Just walked away from it...But then I missed it...And going back to it was sooooo much fun!...

Six, should I post my list of original characters? Might be a good idea. Yeah, I think I will. In Sorcalin's thread though, and I'll include every single character that appear in my Elder scroll stories, not just Ekali's.

Yeah, cool...A Dramatic Personae!!...Love it...

I think your world is cool...Expand on it...Unless you don't want to of course...

I hope this hasn't scared you... indifferent.gif ...

Sorry...

You have a brilliant world...I hope you continue it...
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 29 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #116

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Saquira @ Jul 29 2012, 04:57 AM) *

Do'Rak gave me the feeling of a father figure by the time I'd finished chapter 4.2, and I like him that way. I think Ekali needs someone like that after all she's gone through.

Glad you didn’t change him.

Got back from the cruise the day before yesterday. It was fun and gave me some needed time away from home. Upon coming home I saw your comments and was inspired to write, so I might be posting again before we leave. We'll see. I also got ideas about what will happen to Ekali in the distant future, and am now doing a lot of thinking about stuff that won't even remotely affect the first book in the story.

Sounds just what you needed then.

If you like getting comments on your story, reading and commenting on other people’s stories is the best way to get support on your own story. I know of a few people that are very gracious supporters of people that comment on their stories.

One, should I write about what I was to have happen in between book one and two, and have that be book two instead? Hence pushing book two back to book three. I'd probably then post both books simultaneously, since book two would thus contain very little that have anything to do with the games, and would therefore rely on my world-building skills (among others). It would span the happenings of one year. I was originally thinking that she'd just come back to Skyrim in book two and no one would know where she'd been off to.

I wouldn’t have both books going at the same time, I’d post them one at a time. I definitely wouldn’t be able to keep up with two at a time. Like McB said, unless you really want to get somewhere, take your time and don’t rush it.

Make the battles a lot bigger I guess. kvleft.gif Also, make the civil war have a larger presence outside of the quests involving it. Some places could be dangerous for Imperials to travel and others for Stormcloaks. They go there, they die basically. It’ll make travel for Ekali much more dangerous though. People will want to know her side, or just try to kill her because they don’t recognize her, or because she's a Khajiit.

Woohoo! Every good story needs a little romance. biggrin.gif

Not sure how helpful this is, but This is a wiki page with lots of words you could play around with.

Five, this project is going to be so much longer than what I originally thought wacko.gif

King Coin: Sorry, I keep mixing up off and of as well. A delusional Nord tongue.gif While it's a fun idea, it isn't exactly what I had in mind, but you'll see.

Five: biggrin.gif
Six: good idea
Try getting the right word. It pulls me out of your story when I have to stop and decide what word you were going for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saquira
post Jul 29 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #117

Finder
Group Icon

King Coin: Yeah, I know I should comment more. I just can't figure out what to say most of the time. But I'll try to get better with that. And I'm going to try and think more about which word I use.

One, I like thinking of them in terms of books. It helps me keep some order. And since those things happen in chronological order, I think it works. I am going to leave some space in which I don't mention what Ekali does as she travels and so on, so I can later go back in dreams/flashbacks if I get some idea I want to write about and not have to write about every single dragonfight. That'd be tedious.

Okay, yeah. It might be a bit too much to post both books at the same time. Chances are though that book two would take longer time in between posting than this one, since I won't have any premade story-line to follow(though I'll try to think of stuff that's going to happen). But that doesn't really matter much right now, I'm still far from finishing the current book.

Two. King Coin, I love that idea. Of it being dangerous to Ekali to visit places where the opposing faction is in control. Won't matter much until she picks sides officially, but the other stuff I can use from the beginning. Being suspicious of other races just makes sense. McBadgere, I agree. Giving away cities has never made any sense whatsoever, so that's something that I've decided to change.

Four, names of individual dragons is what I'm thinking of. That wiki page seems much easier to manage than the other ones I've found, thanks smile.gif

Posted the character list, link's now in my signature.

McBadgere: It hasn't scared me, I appreciate it actually. smile.gif World building is fun. And, buy a hat? Is that some kind of expression?

Speaking of world building, I've been thinking of currency. Morrowind has drakes, Oblivion Septims and from what I've gathered, Skyrim just has gold. Or did I miss something? Anyways, carrying around thousands of coins is stupid. So for the lowest coin I've used drakes so far, because the Septims are dead and gold sounds boring. So I want some coin that is worth 10 or 100 drakes, and one that is worth 1000 drakes. Or something, haven't quite thought it out yet. What metals do you think would be good to use? Have to think of names for that as well. The highest coin would probably have something to do with the Thalmor since they kind of rule the world at the moment. Or all of the coins...

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 29 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #118

Master
Group Icon

Actually I think gold in skyrim = septims. They just called it gold for accessibility I think. If you look at the 3D model it still looks like a septim. You can look at it in your inventory under misc objects I think.

Edit: and other people like hearing from you on their stories too! I personally have a word doc open while I read so if a thought occurs to me while I read, I can just jot it down quick and keep reading.

This post has been edited by King Coin: Jul 29 2012, 07:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 30 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #119

Councilor
Group Icon

Regarding currency, they’re still called septims in the Skyrim game, I suppose since there’s still the Empire. No reason you couldn’t make up your own currency, though. The septim coin has a dragon on it, and “drake” can be slang for dragon. So I’ve always taken the two terms to mean the same thing. This is just how I imagine it, but I picture the single septim coin as being thin and small, like a fingernail. Increasing denominations such as a 50 septim coin are thicker and heavier. That way the money isn’t so heavy that a person couldn’t carry a reasonable amount in a coin purse, and 1,000 septims doesn’t have to be 1,000 individual coins. That’s just an idea, I have seen others who use “drake” to mean a different amount, or even a different type of currency made of silver or copper and named for past generals or emperors. I think the important thing is to provide context for the things you change, so that when you put “1,000 drakes” in your story, your readers have an idea how much stuff that could buy.

I love your list of characters, very helpful!! goodjob.gif

I’m late with this comment, but I would also advise focusing on one story rather than posting two separate books of the same character’s story at the same time. Your flashbacks idea is great, that way you can provide the background for current events without going through every event that occurred in between. Unless you want to write out the events of that year. I love stories that have nothing to do with the games. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Saquira
post Jul 30 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #120

Finder
Group Icon

Alright. Well, I'll change the names for the currency anyway since well, the Septims are dead. And the Thalmor are doing everything they can to get rid of the Talos worshiping, so it'd make more sense to get rid of the currency that he invented. I'll write up some explanation to that when I figure it out, so that I can link it whenever anyone makes a purchase or there's talk of money.

Grits: Yeah I'll just post one at a time.

I do also have beginnings of stories that take place outside of any of the game's time-lines, because I like those kind of stories as well. My rewrite of A strange love spans the time after the Oblivion crisis has ended and the mages guild splits apart, and another I'm writing takes place after the Thalmor have conquered Valenwood and is told from the perspective of a bosmer who helped them do it. I've come no further than the first chapter on each of them though, since I want to focus on EotFH.

And I've got it certain now, I won't have access to the internet when I'm away. I'll have access to a computer though, so I can still write.

Previously on Ekali of the Frozen Heights: Ekali parted ways with the merchants caravan and headed to Ivarstead where she was met with suspicion and silence. Then she continued on to the Throat of the World, where she came upon a snowtroll fighting a warrior. She caught the creatures attention to help him, and then the warrior killed it just as it stood above her.

Chapter 4.3 Noble death

When the troll fell dead to the side, the khajiit was surprised to find an orc standing before her, and both of them looked at each other in surprise before he reached his hand down and hoisted her to her feet. She mumbled a thank you to him, but he just looked at her as he sheathed his sword.

“What's a khajiit doing all alone in the midst of Skyrim?” he said after a while, breath coming out as a fine mist as he breathed rather heavily from the exertion. His rather large tusks captured her attention when he spoke, and black hair was pulled back from his face. A permanent crease sat above his brow. It took another long stare from the grey eyes for her to realise that he was waiting for an answer.

“I could ask you the same thing,” Ekali said as she brushed the snow from her fur and moved to pick her own sword up from the ground. He chuckled darkly in response as he eyed her weapons. Gladio came up then and gave the man a wary glance before looking Ekali over. “I'm fine boy,” she said, looking at the wolf, and then turned to the orc again. “And that's because of you. Thanks for killing the beast.” She forced a smile on her lips as she reached her hand out to shake his, and he took it and shrugged.

“I don't like having things owed to me or owing things to others. You got the troll's attention and gave me time to get up, I killed it before it could beat you into the stone. As far as I'm concerned we're even,” he said blankly as he moved his hand over his head, taking a look at their surroundings.

“Al right,” she answered him, looking surprised. “What are you doing up here? If you don't mind me asking. You don't look like someone who'd travel all this way simply to meditate.”

“Neither do you,” he frowned after he said it, as if though wondering whether he'd said it wrong, but then he shook his head and made a move towards the way she'd been heading. “We should start walking at least.” Which was what they did when he thought of what to say. “I've come here because the way is perilous, and I seek a good death. A troll is a worthy opponent. Why are you here?” his question shook her from the reverie that his earlier words had put her in, and she inhaled deeply before answering.

“The Greybeards wish to see me,” Ekali shrugged as a frown appeared on her face. “Why would you wish to die, are you sick?” she asked, and the orc smiled lightly as he considered her.

“I am not sick. One should find his death while he can still call himself a proper man. We orc men are not like these Nords and Imperials who carry on until they are grey and feeble and their hair falls out. To cling to something that is past its usefulness is unseemly, how much so when that thing is you?” he grunted, and set his hard gaze in front of them as they trudged on.

“Things that are past their usefulness are usually broken, you're not. Why then compare the two? And why would you wish to die? To be honest, it seems like a really odd thing to actively seek.” He looked back up at her when he spoke.

“You wouldn't understand. I lost everything I had not long ago, I no longer have a reason to live,” his voice was resigned when he spoke, and Ekali noted the sorrow that followed his words.

“I understand better than you'd think, but there are many things to live for. If you can't think of any reasons, isn't there a chance that you could find a new reason? I lost my old life when I came to Skyrim, everything that have ever made my life mine. But I'm not going to try and kill myself, because I've found a new reason,” she said as she gazed into his eyes, and noting that they'd stopped, began to walk again. He grunted again, and shook his head slightly.

“I don't see anything that I could do that would make this life worth living,” he uttered, and she glanced back at him again. Snow was beginning to fall as they conversed, and she idly hoped that it wouldn't blow up into a storm.

“You could help people. As much as I think humans would distrust you at the beginning, there are a lot of people in Skyrim who needs help from someone who can fight. And what if you someday met someone and got a new family? Would you want to miss up on that opportunity?” He didn't answer that, merely met her gaze with a contemplative look before once more turning his concentration onto their surroundings.

They travelled until the sun was setting and it was no longer safe to continue on the path. Then they stopped in a place where the cliffs provided cover against the strong wind, and gathered as much wood as they could find to build a fire.

Where they sat around the small fire, the orc had taken out a whetstone and his sword to sharpen it, and Gladio was lying by Ekali's side while staring at the flickering flames, eyes half closed. She was contemplating whether it'd be a good idea to go to bed early, but decided against it. The sky was covered by clouds, though the snow had ceased to fall a while ago. The khajiit's eyes were drawn to the orc and his unusual sword, and he looked up as soon as he felt it, looking confused at why she looked like she did.

“What kind of sword is that?” she finally asked, and the orc was so surprised he dropped the whetstone. It was such an important part of him, that using and taking care of the weapon had become second nature to him. Taking up the stone again, he looked the sword over before answering.

“It's orichalcum, it's a metal that our smiths specialise in.” She nodded at his words, and they fell silent again as he continued to care for the peculiar blade. Then he paused, having thought of something, and looked at her again. “I realize that we have not introduced each other, and think that it might be wise to do so now.”

“Oh, right,” Ekali answered, surprised. “My name is Ekali, this is Gladio,” she said then, gesturing to the wolf when she uttered his name. The orc nodded before talking himself.

“I am Shakh, from Orsinium.” The khajiit female smiled faintly as they shook hands for the second time, and he smiled back hesitantly. Then they settled back, and spent a quiet evening in each others company before going off to sleep.

The great building looming above her caused Ekali to stop in her tracks as she looked upon it. It looked like a castle, with two floors above the foundation. Everything was made of stone, though snow covered any pieces that jutted out, as well as the roof and the top of the small tower-like structure just in between the two doors that lead to the entrance.

She cast a last look the other way, the road that Shakh had taken only a little while ago, before she took a deep breath and walked up the slippery staircase with Gladio on her heels. The steps seemed to be very much unused, except for a few old footprints that stuck there because of the ice. The door was heavy when she pushed on it, but surprisingly it made very little noise, and moved easily as soon as she'd begun opening it. The hall into which she stepped was very large, with a few pillars, and candles adorned a few places around the room. An open space took the centre of her attention, for it was the only place in the room that was well lit, and a square of stone different from that surrounding it was in the middle. The square was quite large, with each corner pointing to one of the four walls.

Ekali's attention was drawn from the architecture when an old man in robes stepped down the stairs on the other side of the room and walked towards her. Though he looked old with wrinkles and grey beard and hair, his gait was not troubled in the least.

“So... a Dragonborn appears, at this moment in the turning of the age,” he said in a voice that carried through the air and probably could be heard throughout the building. The man's eyes held both wisdom and sorrow that caused her to wonder what he could be thinking as he looked her up and down.

“I am answering your summons,” Ekali said in response as he nodded to her.

“We will see if you truly have the gift. Put down your equipment by the wall,” he said, and she did as he'd asked in silence. Show us Dragonborn. Let us taste of your voice.” He stepped back a step after he said so, and seemed to wait for her once she stood before him again.

“You want me to Shout at you?” Ekali asked, perplexed as she looked at the man.

“Yes, you will not harm me,” he answered her with a sigh, and the khajiit reached for the strange power that had been in her ever since she fought Mirmulnir. The word came to her as soon as she thought of it, and she took a breath to calm herself before she allowed the power to be released.

“Fus!” The shout that escaped her mouth caused the man to close his eyes, and he almost seemed happy when he opened them again. For the first time, he smiled at her before he spoke again.

“I am master Arngeir, I speak for the Greybeards. You say you have come to answer our summons. If you would have it, we would teach you about the voice, and the responsibilities that comes with the gift you have been given,” he said, then gestured to four other men whom had entered while he was speaking. She looked around at them, all four were looking at her, and then turned back to Arngeir with a deep breath.

“I would be thankful for whatever you wish to teach me,” she said when she met his eyes, and he gave a nod that was barely perceptible. With his hand, he then gestured for her to walk further towards the centre of the room, and she did so next to him. One of the other men, Einarth she'd later learn that his name was, stepped up next to the square.

“Ro,” her spoke, and though the shout reverberated through the air, it didn't hold the same force that it would if he'd spoken it in combat. Runes appeared on the ground in front of him, and she stepped closer to them, recognising the same script with which Fur had been written upon the wall. The word started glowing after a second, and once again the voices whispered in her head, louder and louder by each moment that passed. Then they quietened, and only one word remained. Ro. Mirmulnir had said it meant balance.

“Master Einarth will now gift with you his knowledge of Ro,” Arngeir then said, and a similar light to when the dragon had died flowed through the air between Ekali and the other Greybeard, causing the voices to speak in her head again. This time she managed to hold down the power that bubbled to the surface, and turned again to Arngeir when she'd done so.

This post has been edited by Saquira: Jul 30 2012, 11:56 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 05:45 PM