Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The slave: Kraven Desselius., A short novel.
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 12 2012, 04:28 AM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

OOC: My new story! I've been trying to write this one for awhile now, it's centered on my main character, Kraven Desselius. This is meant to be a short story, and is still a work in progress. This is suppose to be around his past. After I am finished with this, I will continue the story with my female character who will also be tied to him. And it will conclude in a third shorter novel-type tale. Be aware that I am a total newbie when it comes to Morrowind, some of you may have received a few questions regarding lore and stuff. And I give you my thanks to those that helped me out; mALX, Jack Cloudy, Black Hand, you guys are great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IPB Image
IPB Image
Kraven.

~Dramatis Personae~

Kraven Desselius:[/b] An Imperial man condemned to slavery in Morrowind.

Daenalin: Bosmer slave to House Telvanni. Humorous and free-spirited.

Shavaash Opress: Suthay-raht slave. Brash, cold and bitter. Alpha figure among the slaves.

Lord Bratheru Andrano:Telvanni nobleman, father of Tivela. Known to be unorthodox and strange, even among his Telvanni peers.

Tivela Andrano: The beautiful daughter of Bratheru. Adventurous and promiscious, Tivela takes advantage of her slaves to please her erotic and more intimate desires in secret.

Polish-His-Spear: Boy-loving Argonian slave, best friend of Shavaash.

Nachael:Redguard trainer of gladiators, born in Hammerfell. Also known as Jumba.

Elsavia: Imperial housemaiden slave. Elsavia does domestic service within the Telvanni stronghold, along with the others. She is also a personal body slave to Tivela, having a close bond to her mistress.

Gwenabeth:Breton slave to Tivela and Andrano.

Hadrianus: Imperial Nobleman from Cyrodiil, slave owner in Morrowind. One of the many sponsers to the gladiatorial games in the Imperial City.

Nolus: Hadrianus' friend and a potential slavemaster. Bitter enemy of Andrano.

Story so Far:

IPB Image

-Kraven Desselius, farm boy and a hunter, suffers from poverty along with his parents. He lives alone with his loving mother(Alessia) and abusive father(Kerstus) in Cyrodiil. Eager to find a better life for his mother and to be free from his father's unmerciful hand, he involves himself in gambling and betting in his many vices.

-Eventually, he is near to winning when he is accused of cheating by the unlawful company in the Waterfront District. Unbeknown to Kraven, a handful of the men belong to House Dres, a notorious organization known for their slave trafficking. The young Imperial is poisoned, beaten and smuggled into a ship where he is sold into slavery in the province of Morrowind.

“The familiar flora and fauna of Tamriel is exchanged for bizarre and twisted forms that can survive the regular ashfall. Cloaked and masked Dark Elves tend herds of giant insects. A courier clatters by on the back of a 20-foot-tall, crab like creature. Everywhere, cowering slaves - Argonian, khajiit, human - scurry to carry out the barked commands of their Dark Elven masters.”

- Kraven and a handful of other khajiiti and argonian slaves are shipped and loaded into to the town of Tel Aruhn, where he is kept in cages for many days, suffering from hunger, thirst, nausea and a great number of many discomforts in an alien land. His suffering comes to a brief stop when he meets Lord Bratheru Andrano, a strange Telvanni Nobleman who purchases him and takes him to his stronghold in Azura's Coast.

- Arriving at the stronghold, Kraven is reluctant to submit to his buyer and call him "master", which prompts Andrano to teach Kraven humility by having him whipped for many hours under the burning sun. Following his beating, he is thrown into a Telvanni pod where he meets with two of Andrano's slaves; Daenlin and Dangor. Both are the eccentric Bosmer siblings who instruct Kraven in the new lifestyle of a slave.

- Shavaash, one of the older khajiiti slave of Andrano's stock, is summoned by Andrano's daughter, Tivela. He is used as a sexual slave to please her desires, but fails to do so after prematurly climaxing. Shavaash begins to show desires for Tivela.

- Kraven, though contemplating escape, succumbs to servitude by perseverence for survival. During the process, he is bullied and victimized by the older slaves; the argonian named Polish-His-Spear Shavaash. Along his brutal treatement, Kraven eventually raises his arm in defense and is one of the instigator's of a brawl.

- Andrano, stressed by the disorder of his slaves, sends Kraven to work overshift in his Ebony mines. As his slaves work through grueling hours in his plantations and mines, he sets his goals towards the temporary gladiatorial games in Vivec City. As an Imperial-raised individual, Andrano takes advantage of his Telvanni heritage and uses it to exploit his mastery over servants and slaves, though not abiding by Telvanni nature.

- Andrano begins to lose his mercenaries in the arena, and sets out to hire a former gladiator from Hammerfell named Nachael. Nachael agrees and journeys back to the stronghold to train the new set of gladiators- Andrano's slaves.

- Kraven is unique among the slaves for his racial qualities, and is given a chance to prove his worth by training to become a gladiator. Due to personal style and level of proficiency with weapons, Kraven excels with the spear, the sword and the shield. During this rigorous process, Kraven is defeated numerous times by Polish and Shavaash, but otherwise shows promise against Nachael in training.

- Tivela suffers with her carnal desires, and seeks to choose a mate from the slave casts. She mistreats Gwenabeth out of a mood, and plans to leave the stronghold in hopes of achieving a luxurious life in distant lands.

- Elsavia, a slave housemaiden to Tivela, daydreams about a better life outside of the stronghold.

- Kraven fights against Polish-His-Spear, but loses, suffering a blow to his prestige. He trains harder in hopes of becoming a gladiator and earning his freedom, and puts himself in a tough training schedule.

- Tivela discovers Kraven training against a wooden Palus, and begins to show interest in him for him being unique(human) and his ignorance.

- During his training, Kraven meets Gwenabeth for the first time and begins to find an interest in her. Coinscedentally, it is the same day he finds out he is to fight in the arena in Vivec City.

- Andrano, in debt due to poor sales and resources despire his ownership of ebony mines and his plantations, seeks to swindel his competitor, Hadrianus, by setting a match in the arena. Andrano bets against Kraven, convincing Hadrianus that he is the human is the greatest fighter in the stronghold. Believing the lie, Hadrianus bets against Polish-His-Spear, Kraven's opponent.

- Kraven and the other slaves travel to Vivec City, where they are kept in cells and slave rooms awaiting their matches. Kraven meets Hadrianus in the Telvanni Canton, and is set to fight his enemy, Polish-His-Spears in the arena.

- The day arrives and Kraven battles against Polish, eventually gaining the upper hand and killing the argonian. Kraven is named gladiator and honored for his fight by being granted freedom to eat at The Lizard's Head Inn.

- Andrano, even more in debt now that Kraven was proclaimed victor, seeks to find a manner to snake his way out of his problems by planning to assassinate Nolus, an Imperial friend to Hadrianus, along with Hadrianus' child. He sends his Breton bookie, Lashun, to contact the Morag Tong.

- Kraven, tasting first blood, is empowered by his recent victory and begins to shift in his personality. He begins to see a future of glory and honor, and starts to show signs of arrogance and pride.

Prologue:

"You are among the most dangerous of beasts. An animal born of the heart. That's why I chose you, to be what I could not. If you survive the perilous path, your legend will be etched in blood."

Thunder roared, though it was not the sound of a downpour to come, nor was it the celestial warfare of lightning striking the skies. The cacophony of sounds came from the mouths of the thousands of individuals. Voices loud and booming, rivaling that of the gods themselves. Their merciless will, equally as demanding. The purpose of their begging, their ritualistic chanting, was blood. The call for amusement in their part, the suffering of another on the other. Their request was not ignored, it was heard. And soon, it would be answered. The impatient howling of the mob continued to press their desires, calling out the name of the gladiator; their warrior, their myrmidon, their champion.

Far from sight, beneath the massive crowd of spectators, was their champion. He stood at the gates of death itself, spear held in one hand, shield held in the other. Long black hair draped down his back, falling past his shoulders. Boots covered his foot, and soft padding his knees. Depicted on his shield was a painting of a savage feral wolf. At the end of his silver spear, was ancient inscriptions written on it. From head to toe, he was prepared for this fight. To engage in a confrontation to the death.

Yet he was not eager as the crowd. He was not enamored at the thought of the inevitable conclusion of the championship. The certainty that his life or the life of his opponent would end that very day. That life would be forfeit at the end of a spear or a blade. And unlike the countless people who warmed the seats of the arena, he did not thirst for battle. Am I worthy for this? Am I worthy of everything I had done? He asked himself as he breathed steadily. He wasn’t sure what this match would bring. This wasn’t any opponent he faced before. Not the most barbaric Orc, nor the bravest Nord, not even the swiftest Bosmer. No, this was something entirely different. And it pained him profoundly to dwell on what could be the outcome.

The announcer called out his name, sprinkling his previous glories with inflated tales of victory and impossibility. “Lycus! The Beast of Kvatch! Champion of the Imperial City! Known to all by his spear, his sword and his unmatched prowess!”

The rest of the words were ignored by the champion himself, as he was lost in his own thoughts. I am but a man, or a shadow of such he realized. I do not deserve this honor…not after all I had done. And he was sure that this next match would change his life, forever. For better or for worse. It would be a true test of his determination and skill. But also his moral standing as a man.

He lowered his head in deference, trying to muster ever sense of confidence he could. I must appear a titan in the eyes of the adoring public, he told himself. Not a shadow of a man. He collected all of his thoughts, his actions in his recent years, everything that molded him into the man that he is today, or at least a semblance of such. And as everything came to purpose, he encased his helmet over his head as the spiked gates slid down onto the ground, allowing him entrance upon the sands. As the sun shined on his armor and face, the esteemed gladiator stepped forth into the light to meet his fate.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Dec 31 2013, 03:34 PM

--------------------
"Every human spends a night or two on the dark side and regrets it. But what if you only exist on the dark side? We just want the same things that you do: a chance at life, at love. And so we try and sometimes fail. But when you're something other, a monster, the consequences are worse. Much worse. You wake up from your nightmares. We don't."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 12 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

~Chapter One: Chained~

Four years earlier, Tel Aruhn, Morrowind.

Magnus smiled upon those who walked beneath, the hot rays gracing the port of Tel Aruhn with it’s presence. A large ship sailed across the warm waters, it’s sails high and might. Workers all over the coast of Tear awaited the ships arrival. Also known as Home Tower, it stood in Zafirbel Bay. Controlled by House Telvanni, Tel Aruhn stands infamous with the slave-pens, which hold countless Argonian and Khajiiti slaves, as well as other variations of servants. The massive Imperial vessel arrived eventually after being spotted on the coast. The ship anchored, arriving at the docking area at last. Slavers, garbed in their finest garments, folded their arms as an act of impatience.

Kraven woke to find himself in a cold cellar in the bottom deck of the ship. Dimly lit candles cast writhing shadows on the wooden walls of his surroundings. Large vermin squeaked in the corners, alerted by his random movements. Candlelight failed to dispel the dark, frigid atmosphere of the cell. He was surprised he was alive, for his body felt dead due to injuries sustained. He tried to recall what had happened, but the only memories that came to him where brief flashes of painful sights, his body being kicked, punched and mistreated. He recalled blows struck to his face until his vision died and consciousness fled.

His bruised throat was aching profoundly from the result. He made an attempt to reach down and massage his neck, only to discover he was held by shackles around his wrists, high above his head. The floorboards sent a chill through the marrow of his bones, causing the captive Imperial to tremble. A huge hunger and a longing thirst was also an addition to his misery. How long have I been unconscious? he had to wonder. Where am I? Is it day or night? All he could tell for certain was that he was still alive. And that he was a prisoner.

“Ah, he awakes! That somniculous can be a burden.”

He looked up from the floor to glimpse an Argonian only a few feet away, chained to the wall, his arms bound in a similar fashion, above his head. His clothes hung tattered on his slender body. Like all of his kind, he was scaly and reptilian. His slit eyes were trimmed with crimson. Kraven couldn‘t tell if he was black or brown in the shadow, but he was able to detect a fair bit of green along the lizards‘ chest. A sharp smile rose to the corner of his lips as he chuckled to the Imperial. “The land-strider breathes among us.“ he said in a raspy tone. “I feared you would never awaken.”

Kraven shook at the chains, attempting to gain a measure of comfort, to no avail. He exhaled, setting his eyes on the Argonian once more. “Us?”

Mutters and sobs reached his ears, and he realized that him and the Argonian were not the only prisoners in the forsaken pit. Paying little attention to his sore neck, he craned his head over to the side and witnessed, to his chagrin, a large concentration of lizards and cats grouped up behind the iron bars of a rusty cell. The caged creatures cried and whined pathetically. Khajiit mothers clutched their babies to her chests, trying desperately to silence the infants crying.

“What is this madness?” Kraven he said suddenly. Snarling like a crazed hound, he tugged uselessly against the unbreakable chains. “Where in oblivion are they taking us?”

“Shut up!“ A shadow emerged from the gloom. A large overfed Dunmer entered the hall, a black whip in hand. Hateful eyes shot angrily at Kraven. “Speak again, and you’ll have a touch of my whip.” He turned ominously to the other side. “Same goes for you flea-ridden curs. I’ll have no bickering on this ship. Not here, not when we get out. If you try to escape, you’ll die. If you speak against your superiors, you will be maimed. If you so much as think about freedom, we will reassure you that such things are not possible. You are all slaves, from this day forward.”

No! A slave? Kraven thought as he looked to them. Leave them be! His heart broke for the other captives; his anger rose, the fright in his face also obvious.

Written To: Senior Moment.

Measured footsteps arrived from the door outside. The wooden door swung open, admitting in a estranged Dark Elf warrior along with others of his kind. From head to toe, they were garbed in what seemed to be a golden-type armament. Their luxurious attire a direct contrast to their base surroundings. The leader’s face was frigid, a ghastly mien. His eyes were a crimson red, just as all others of his race. He walked the small corridor, inspecting the captives in each cell, his eyes staring at the different individuals, including Kraven. He nodded to himself and commanded his men to enter the hallway, allowing them to take all of the prisoners.

Too weak to struggle or to fight, Kraven complied. And so the day began, with all of the captives being taken from their cell, ready to begin the day as a slave. In a single file line, the slaves were chained and told to follow each other, or they would face the sting of the slaver’s whip. Passing through the dark halls and shadowy corridors of the ship, the group finally reached the outside.

As he stepped out into the clearing from the ship‘s interior, Kraven’s eyes widened and his mouth was slightly open in awe. Giant fungal stalks stood above the hills in the distance, and a town ahead seemed to be made entirely from wood. He limped behind a tall Argonian, still gazing at the strange diversity of flora. The towers ahead seemed to be a mixture of mushrooms and a large tree. Artificial pathway led from the boat onto the docking area, which appeared as a clean stump of a branch made into a road with vines intertwining along the large buildings in a serpentine fashion.

The air was thick with dust and scents and smells that were alien to him. It was nothing like Cyrodiil. In fact, nothing at all seemed Tamrielic save for the Dark Elves and the people who walked about in the distance. It took time, but Kraven soon realized that this was Morrowind, the Ashland of the Dunmeri people.

The guards, armored from head to toe in bone mold material, guided the whimpering slaves to the Market. Their hands were held above their sheathes, ready to pull out their blades at the moment of an escape or an attempt at such. Walking on weakly, Kraven looked at his reflection along the water. If there was any semblance of a man left, he found that it was impossible to see it. His hair was unkempt, falling past his shoulders in knots. His hazel eyes bore dark circles and bags beneath them. His once-white shirt, was stained with blood, sweat and dirt, as well as his entire body. His nails were black with dirt, his fingers dry. Bruised and far from pristine, Kraven was by all means equivalent to a savage animal, a beast. More or less than the Khajiiti and Argonian slaves themselves.

He kept his head down, but he managed to whisper. “Where are they taking us?”

The Argonian in front of him hissed slightly, refusing to answer at first. But after a moment’s pass, he risked speaking: “To the market. To be sold to our new masters."

Kraven mumbled silently. The Argonian walking before him must of thought he was praying.

"Save your breath, kid. Your gods do not live here." The lizard hissed.

Feeling the hunger gnaw at his stomach, the thirst scratch at his neck, Kraven couldn’t bear the strength to walk awhile more. He knew if he stopped, he would be whipped by the slave trader or one of his men. But his bodies’ weakness overpowered his fear, and he felt his eyes grow heavier. I can continue, he thought, I must. If I can make one more step…two more steps. Three more steps. He kept going, until he lifted his leg once more to walk forth out into the dock. After that, his legs failed him, his footing faltered, and his eyes collapsed, as did Kraven himself, tumbling over the side of the dock from sheer exhaustion. He closed his eyes, surrendering to the darkness as he felt water rush over him.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Apr 26 2012, 02:37 PM

--------------------
"Every human spends a night or two on the dark side and regrets it. But what if you only exist on the dark side? We just want the same things that you do: a chance at life, at love. And so we try and sometimes fail. But when you're something other, a monster, the consequences are worse. Much worse. You wake up from your nightmares. We don't."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 13 2012, 12:40 AM
Post #3

Paladin
Group Icon

Congrats on a new story! smile.gif

Nice glimpses into the mindset of the Arena in your prologue. In Chapter One, it’s ‘Welcome to Morrowind!’ Yikes! ohmy.gif

--------------------
Buffy's screenshot of the month for October: A pair of foxes cooling their heels.
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 13 2012, 04:22 AM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

WOW!!... biggrin.gif ...

Fair dues to you, that's a damn good start that is...

Now Gladiators, I like!!... biggrin.gif ...

I know we're both fans of that Spartacus series, so I will make more of an effort to keep up with this one...*Aplolgises for falling behind on the vampire one kvright.gif *...

Again, fair dues to you, this tale has much promise... smile.gif ...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

--------------------
McBadgere...

"But, that said - that isn't to say there isn't a possibility another nut exists in this world." - mALX...

*Waves*...Halllooooo!!! - McBadgere...
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 13 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

Acadian: Pretty much. Gladiators, slaves and Telvanni.

McBadgere:Ah, the fellow fan! Thanks. Don't worry about the other one, it's pretty long in and of itself, and I know how you feel about blood-suckers tongue.gif.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Andrea
post Apr 13 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #6

Evoker

WOWOW! Great start! And ANOTHER story I can follow from the beggining! I am happy smile.gif

Now, to your introduction, I LOVE a flashforward! I don't know why, but I do.

To chapter one, I am unfamiliar with Morrowind as, apart from Skyrim, Oblivion was my first TES game. HOWEVER, if I am to assume the th chapter was based on the frist part of the game, you paint an excellent picture!

I loved this line: The caged creatures cried and whined pathetically. Khajiit mothers clutched their babies to her chests, trying desperately to silence the infants crying. - I thought it was well written and mildly heart breaking :'(

I'm eager for MOOOOOORE! smile.gif
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 13 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

What an awesome job you did showing the pre-battle jitters in the prologue! I imagine when fighting to the death, even the Champions have to have that moment when they wonder if this time will be the last. Loved the prologue!

This line stood out to me:

"Save your breath, kid. Your gods do not live here." The lizard hissed.

What a cliffhanger ending! Awesome Write!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 13 2012, 03:57 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Andrea: Thanks. I also love it when I can follow a story from the start. Oblivion was my first game too, then I played Morrowind and then Skyrim. Honestly, I understand very little about Morrowind, but I played a bit and stalked the UESP for information tongue.gif. Thanks again.

mALX:Definetly. Gladiators, at least in our reality, trained for the moment. Yet I am sure each of them felt those jitters before battle. Thanks! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 14 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

~Chapter Two: The Slave Market~

Written To: No More Mr.Nice Guy.

~ ~ ~

Kraven awoke with a cough, flat on the ground in a supine position. He saw various armed soldiers surrounding him for a moment, and then his vision began to clear.

“The human is fine now,” one said. “Toss him in the cage.”

Suddenly two of them grabbed hold of him, holding him up beneath the arms and carrying him over to one of the wooden cages which sat suspended below a large overhanging branch. Onlookers stared from a distance as he was taken away. He did not know where the other slaves were, but he assumed they must have been taken inside the large Dunmer building. As he was unique, he figured they would keep him outside for those willing to buy more exotic specimens.

The men opened strange tree-cage construct, tossing him in, not even bothering to unleash the cuffs. Landing awkwardly, Kraven clenched his teeth as he hit the side of the cage wall. As he struggled to his feet he heard the cage close around him. The small natural cell was empty, other than Kraven himself. His sight was fading off slowly, but he heard an unmistakable female voice. His eyes nearly rolled back into his head from the lingering effects of the poison and his body succumbing to weakness.

“The new batch has arrived, then.” the female Dunmer said to them. “What do we have?”

“A large number of Khajiits. A few Argonians. And this human.”

He collapsed back into the tight, uncomfortable cell. Sighing, setting his head back. He could see the woman now, or at least her form in a blurred vision. Pointed ears, dark skin, and crimson eyes. She had a distinguishable marking on her face as well, though it was hard for the young Imperial to discern them.

She stared at him from outside the cell, her arms dangling on her sides as she turned to her servants, before looking back at him. “Very well. Leave the animal in it’s cage. Nchow N‘wah.”

Both men bowed to her before taking their departure. “Sera,” they said.

Kraven couldn’t say how long they had left him inside of the cage. After a moment he fell asleep, exhausted by the poison. He slipped in and out of consciousness from time to time; at a single moment was light outside his cage, and was aware day must have arrived. The next time it was dark, so he had assumed it was night.

They did not give him food; his stomach was protesting as it gnawed at him constantly. His throat was dry and arid. Adding to this, there was a gradually increasing pressure on his bladder, but he refused to alleviate himself. The cage he was in reeked enough already. Perhaps they were just going to leave him there to die a slow and solitary death. Given the rumors he had heard beforehand, he almost wished that was the case. But he did not give up. Not yet. And it seemed his perseverance paid off.

When he heard the noise of approaching footsteps he clumsily jumped to his feet, standing hunched over, with his hands still chained with bracers. Though he was still weak from the grueling hours, he was feeling better than before, as the poison was able to dissipate. He could make out the figure of the same woman as before, he assumed she was the slave handler, responsible for selling slaves to their masters. She was accompanied by two Orc warriors, completely dressed from head to toe in a strange armor. Though Kraven could detect they were Orsimer by their voices and their gloveless hands.

“He‘s weak,“ the woman said in a raspy voice. “I would have him fed to at least appear presentable to any potential buyers. Give him Kwama eggs and Marshmerrow for proper healing, add a small loaf of bread. And some water to cool his tongue.”

And so they did. They slid in a plate of food half hour later, dropping a cup of water for him too. He reached quickly for his meal, feeling absolutely starved as he grabbed the two large eggs. He wasn’t sure from what this ‘Kwama’ creature was, or how it looked like, but he was positive the eggs weren’t poisonous, as they had no reason to kill him. He cracked the egg open, biting down and slurping all of the contents within. He then bit down upon the green plants which he presumed was Marshmerrow. He finished his loaf of bread, barely sating his hunger, but still satisfying himself a bit.

Following his brief meal, he was now more attuned to his surroundings. Tel Aruhn, as he heard some of the commoners say. And he also learned that he happened to have been imprisoned in the largest slave market in Vvardenfell. He still couldn’t believe his misfortunate. How could this come to have happened? Me? A slave? All for that accursed gambling!

He began to fantasize about his escape, picturing himself fighting off the Orc barbarians using their own swords and daggers. Then running off and stealing the boat, and heading back to Cyrodiil. But those where the petty imaginations of a desperate young man who’s skill was below any of the seasoned fighters which surrounded him. Who’s ferocity paled when compared to the Arcane masters of House Telvanni, as he came to learn by eavesdropping on some of the merchants and market-goers.

For days he remained in the cage, finally succumbing to his natural desires to be free of bodily fluids and waste. At times, he was given the choice to step out and use the bathhouses within the strange tower so that he would not soil his own cage. At these times, he felt no longer a man. He felt as a dog or a hound on a leash, commanded to urinate at the whims of those in power. Told when and when not to squat and produce. He even looked the part, and all of this brought him despair. There was no contact with any friendly faces, not even the other slaves. He was alone in solitude.

His eyes watered a bit at the realization that he would never return home. Not for years to come. One mistake, for the benefit of others, had cost him his freedom. His desire for the well-being of those closest resulted in his burden. As he sulked in the cage for hours upon hours, days upon days, being fed only half servings of bread and water, he saw that his suffering was about to begin.

A well-dressed Dunmer Noble came to the market a few days following his capture. He was mounted atop a strange looking bipedal creature with reptilian qualities. Yet this was at the darkness of night, and his face was obscured from sight, save for the light of torches that surrounded Kraven’s cage for better viewing for the individuals wishing to make purchase in the nocturnal hours.

As he sat back, the Dark Elf nobleman approached the hanging cage with four of his armed bodyguards. He looked up to Kraven, speaking a few words that were indistinguishable to his human ears. Some of the guards seemed to laugh, a mocking sound that caused Kraven to clench his teeth in anger.

He had the feeling this noble was considering to buy him. That he was about to be sold. His life traded for a few gold coins. Like an animal, Kraven thought bitterly. And much so like a base creature that was entrapped and cornered, Kraven felt the growing feeling to bite back. His brow furrowed as his jaws tensed. I am not an animal. I'm no slave. he told himself over and over. I am a free man!

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 14 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Love it!!...Absolutely do...

There genuinely is too much to quote in this that I really enjoyed...

Please keep it up?... biggrin.gif ...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

--------------------
McBadgere...

"But, that said - that isn't to say there isn't a possibility another nut exists in this world." - mALX...

+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Apr 14 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

This is absolutely excellent. The sense of harsh reality that you imbue in this is compelling and real, and makes me really feel for Kraven's situation. It's gritty, it's nasty, and above all it feels genuine. In short, absolutely excellent, and I'm already looking forward to seeing where this goes. I detect tones of Spartacus in this, oh yes I do...
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 15 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #12

Paladin
Group Icon

‘But those where the petty imaginations of a desperate young man who’s skill was below any of the seasoned fighters which surrounded him. Who’s ferocity paled when compared to the Arcane masters of House Telvanni...’
When thinking about your flashforward prologue, this is very powerful; for we have had a glimpse into the future of his skill and ferocity.

Nice job painting his grim situation. Feels like it is about to change – and not necessarily for the better.

--------------------
Buffy's screenshot of the month for October: A pair of foxes cooling their heels.
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Apr 15 2012, 04:22 AM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

Kraven's situation really sucks and I can sympathize. I'm thinking that dark elf noble will be good to him, but we shall see....

One of these days I gotta get Morrowind.
+Quote Post
Andrea
post Apr 15 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #14

Evoker

WOW! This chapter is amazing! I could almost feel the claustophobic atmosphere from within Kraven's cage. I feel terrified for him!

But one shall fear not, as the ending suggests our hero will fight for freedom, leaving me eagerly awaiting the next chapter

QUOTE(Acadian @ Apr 15 2012, 12:47 AM) *

‘But those where the petty imaginations of a desperate young man who’s skill was below any of the seasoned fighters which surrounded him. Who’s ferocity paled when compared to the Arcane masters of House Telvanni...’
When thinking about your flashforward prologue, this is very powerful; for we have had a glimpse into the future of his skill and ferocity.

Couldn't agree more with Acadian's comment here!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 17 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #15

Master
Group Icon

McBadgere: Thanks dude. I'll try to put in some imagination to it. tongue.gif

Colonel Mustard:Indeed. Slavery itself is a terrible thing to experience, I'm sure. And yes, there are some Spartacus influence, as well as many other things. I try to research the topic of slavery in history such as in the time of the Romans and so forth. And of course, Morrowind!

Acadian: Much thanks, Acadian. Yes, we do get a glimpse of our champion in the future. Although I wanted to write how he got to such position. Pain, suffering, training, and hardships as well. But there will be some "fun" in it. I promise.hubbahubba.gif

Lady Saga: Yeah, it's pretty much a crappy situation to be sure. And who knows? Things might get better. Or not wink.gif. And you should, Morrowind is pretty fun. Plenty of mods to enhance the experience, but the game is great just without them.

Andrea: Thanks! And that's good that he's a character people can symphatize with, at least from the beginning. I usually have a hard time writing "heroic" characters tongue.gif.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Apr 17 2012, 02:45 AM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Andrea @ Apr 15 2012, 04:42 PM) *

WOW! This chapter is amazing! I could almost feel the claustophobic atmosphere from within Kraven's cage. I feel terrified for him!

I know! Very much agreed.

Reading the bits about the poor guy locked up in that cage, I couldn't help remembering that movie Roots. It's about African slavery, in case you're not familiar. I watched it as a kid in the 1970's, and to this day I don't think I could ever watch it again. It's just too heavy.

I got flashbacks from Roots, though, as I read this chapter. I think I'll be able to read it again, though. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 17 2012, 05:51 AM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

OOC: Next chapter will indeed have more of Kraven in a new light, I hope. And shorter. So far there's been more internal monologuing than anything on his part. But with the introduction of more slaves, I trust will improve since it's meant to send things in motion! Lady Saga, I've never seen the movie, but as always, I'm going to have to check it out.

~Chapter Three: Sold and Sent~

The first stages of a transaction ensued with the inquiries of the potential customer. His face was shrouded in the dark, making it impossible for Kraven to see past the cell. But his voice was loud and clear. Vibrant, alive and full. An unmistakable accent that was detected on his tongue as he spoke the basic language in which Kraven could understand.

“How old is this one?” The nobleman asked. Standing a few feet away from the organic prison cell.

The woman whom was handling the Imperial scratched the back of her head in uncertainty. “Eh, we had no information on his age. He looks to be in his early twenties. A fine specimen of quality stock. A young man, perfect for working in the mines. Much of the Imperial Legion’s soldiers who do labor work are young, you know.”

The dark silhouette of the nobleman fumbled around in the pockets of what seemed to be his robes. Though his expression was hidden in the dark. “Hmm.”

“He is the only Imperial in stock so far these past two weeks. We had a Breton last Fredas, but he was already sold,” said the woman. “I might consider lowering the price to a thousand and five hundred drakes. His youth can be of benefit in hard work.”

Unmoved by her attempts to make a quick sell, the well-dressed Dark Elf pressed on with his questions. “And what was his profession? Why was he sold?”

“Eh, we had no information on why he what he did or why he was sold. The only news that we received was that he got in deep problems with the corrupt guards and gamblers of the Imperial City.”

“Slave,” he commanded suddenly. “What was your profession before your imprisonment?”

Kraven’s eyes shifted from the floor of his cage to the Dunmer group standing outside of it. He bit his tongue, refusing to answer out of spite. Why should I owe this man an answer?

“Slave!” The woman shouted. But her rage subsided when the wealthy Dark Elf man raised his hand and shook his head slightly, sighing.

“It is fine. Words shall come in time. Bring him out, I would have closer look.”

“As you wish, Sera.”

Kraven Desselius slowly crawled out of his confined into the open, before the pale orange light of Masser. Flanking him from behind and on the sides, were the Telvanni mercenaries sent to guard the slave market. He gazed his sight toward the Dark Elf nobleman. Able to see a little more clearly now.

The dark Mer was a man of average stature and girth, bearing a few wrinkles around the ridges of his mouth and eyes. His expression was neutral, his face could register both a sense of friendliness or menace. Heavy brows gracefully sat atop his inspective eye, which looked upon Kraven with interest.

The Imperial stood, surrounded by his Elven captors. He felt the unwanted touch of the Dunmeri woman upon his shoulders. He kept his head up high, but his eyes were lowered. The rough wrinkled edges of her fingers massaged his arms and forearms, squeezing them for length. She then lowered her pointing fingers to his legs, and his back. His stomach and his buttocks were not spared from being poked slightly with a wooden tool. Perhaps she did not want to touch him too much.

“He is a form, this Imperial. Not overly imposing as the others, and is a bit ragged in appearance. Though his long hair can be cut, and his facial stubble shaved.” The woman said, circling around him. Looking at him from head to toe. “A quality specimen. Exotic for a human. While he seems to lack any marvelous physical standing, he can earn it with hard labor in the mines.”

Kraven looked at her, noticing she was looking at the Dunmeri nobleman, who kept silence all this time. He was still considering what to say, or perhaps, what to decide. His lack of voice seemed to unnerve the woman, so much that she kept persisting on the subject of possible services Kraven could afford to give.

“Imperials are knowledgeable in housework. He could serve food, or bow and scrape. Or perhaps even be of worth in more intimate services.”

Chuckling whilst shaking his head, the nobleman retrieved a sack of gold from the creature behind him. He proceeded to lay the sack in her hand, looking at Kraven with a studious stare. “The man seems fit for the mines,” he remarked. “There are plenty of maidens working within my home.”

The woman smiled, satisfied with her income. As the man was of his purchase. Kraven, was left to lower his head. It was the only thing he could do. He was outnumbered, unarmed and weak. The odds were against him. As they always were.

Without hesitation or protest, he allowed himself to be tied to the creature’s back. The animal which he had learned was called a “Guar”. A rope was tied to a knot on the pack which sat above the beast. While it walked, Kraven would have to follow it in pace as well. As he departed under the night from Tel Aruhn, he tried to once again plot his escape, only to realize he was surrounded by armed mercenaries who not only had the advantage in skill and equipment, but also a bipedal creature that could outrun a weak young man.

Sighing and looking up into the air, Kraven lamented silently as he began his long march. The gods truly punish me…

Light from the torches cast flickering shadows over the protruding obelisks, giant rocky shards sprung forth from the earth, ranging from ten to fifteen feet high. They were as shields of stone, hurled down from giants or one of the gods themselves, some would go far to say. The faint salty smell of the ocean could be detected, as this indeed was Azura’s coast.

Marching behind the Guar, and it’s mounted master, Kraven kept walking as fast as he could to keep up. He dared not give a reason for this man to stop and order his men to whip him. In all honesty, he knew little about this nobleman, and a myriad of thoughts rampaged through his mind. Who is this man? What will I do once I arrive there?

As he trekked through the perilous landscape for two hours, he couldn’t help but marvel at the expansive diversity of flora and fauna. His mouth gaped open at the sight of foliage, fungi, insects, and creatures in the such a rocky Terrain. Some of the plants along the water were clear and translucent. Lliquid oozed forth from open pores and holes. Among the sights of the plants, there were the noises of beasts. Kraven could hear the baying of mighty predators and the yelping of prey. Nothing like he had ever heard in Cyrodiil.

When morning arrived to paint the heavens in an orange-fiery haze, Kraven’s legs felt as they were about to collapse. He did not count how long he was walking, not after the third hour had passed. But occasionally, the small traveling group had stopped for the Telvanni noble to allow his mercenaries to release their bodily fluids, and to get a drink of water before continuing. Kraven himself was given water in order for him to continue his pace.

And will this change anything? I am still tied as a damn dog, he complained. He was sure he had stepped in Guar droppings along the way. Everything went bad to worse, yet he hoped it would get better. But so far, life proved to be more of a burden than an actually privilege.

But at last, it seemed his exhausting journey would come to an end. In the horizon, just past the rocky crags, were more of the peculiar Telvanni constructs. The organic structures stood towering above all else, resembling a giant tree. What manner of abode is that? Birthed naturally? Tempered and manipulated with magic? He wasn’t sure, but he was eager to discover if it meant finding a way to be free from it. But the more they walked, the more it was easier to see. Kraven came to discover that there were smaller structures surrounding the larger one. Some secluded Mushroom-like pods were in an enclosed area. This, he presumed, were the slave quarters.

The Imperial arrived, still yet held by a rope tied to his wrist and the guard, and still bound by slave bracers. They eventually came to a stop just outside of the plantation. With mouth still in awe, and eyes gazing up above him, Kraven was overwhelmed beyond imagining. Just outside of the massive tree-like structure, was a plantation. He watched curiously as Argonians and Khajiits wobbled about, some pulling weeds and other planting, some raking the ground while others carried the harvested ingredients. They all seemed worn out, tired and above all, sad.

To the south, he glimpsed more, larger slaves enter a door which granted entrance to the inside of the mountain. He assumed these were the mines he had heard of. He watched as they carried out large stones about, dropping them outside. Others waved around pickaxes as they were told what to do, and how to do it.

What am I to do? He thought. Before I leave this wretched place!

“Get on your knees,” the nobleman said as if he was hearing his thoughts. Kraven shook his head slightly, expression clear. What?

The Dunmer frowned, motioning to one of his Orc castellan’s to shove Kraven onto the floor. Without a fight, Kraven submitted himself.

“From this day forward you shall call me master. That will be my name,” he began to speak to the Imperial. “You will obey my rules, my instructions and my commands without question. You will obey the command of those whom I appoint above you. Am I clear?”

No answer from Kraven. He felt a rebellious streak come across him, but he dared not raise a hand in protest. I’ve had had my fill of being told what to do!

The Dunmer nodded to one of his Orc guards. Without warning, Kraven felt a fiery pain on his back. He’s been whipped! The tool was made of twisted, knotted cloth. Wet from the river edges to increase the effect. The Imperial tried to move away, but one of the Orcs held him down with his strong hands. He felt the sting come a second time, then a third, then a fourth. At the command of the noble, they had stopped.

Biting back a shout, he muffled his cry with his teeth. The regal Dark Elf stood above him, looking down upon the Imperial. “Am I clear, slave?”

No answer. The Dunmer’s frustration did not show. He kept a neutral face as he ordered his men to do it again. “Have him whipped for three and a half hours. After the task is finished, send him to one of the slave quarters to bed fed and rested. He will begin labor tomorrow.”

And so the man whom Kraven refused to call Master left his presence, retreating into his twisted large tree-like home. And for hours, the long-haired Imperial was punished and corrected, cowering beneath the whip. I’m sorry mother, Kraven thought. I failed.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 17 2012, 06:22 AM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

Three and a half hours?.. huh.gif ohmy.gif ...Ouchie... indifferent.gif ...

Fantastic stuff...

I can definately see the whole scene in my head... biggrin.gif ...Brilliantly done....

Love the description of the countryside...And the whole journey really...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

--------------------
McBadgere...

+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Apr 17 2012, 07:41 AM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

Excellent stuff once more; there were some excellent descriptions here, and the no-punches-pulled way you're writing this really worked.

Some of the plants along the water were clear and translucent. Lliquid oozed forth from pores and holes. Among the sights of the plants, there were the noises of beasts. Kraven could hear the baying of mighty predators and the yelping of prey. Nothing like he had ever heard in Cyrodiil.

Loved this description; really managed to capture the exoticness of Vvardenfel that's made Morrowind one of my favourite games of all time. Excellent stuff!
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 18 2012, 12:51 AM
Post #20

Paladin
Group Icon

I agree with the above comments - - this was a wonderfully immersive scene. You fully painted with light, words, atmosphere and even smell. A heavy episode that brims with despair, but we’ll hold out hope for Kraven – he seems of tough stuff.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

20 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 10:35 AM