2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Forced Reload
Konji
post Aug 13 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

So what is the situation on forced reloads? We seem to have quotes from the great Rane and the great Stargazey.as wel as many other kind of great people. A thread would be good to clear this up.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Megil Tel-Zeke
post Aug 13 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

From what I have read, it is infact forced. there was a bug that allowed you to skip the window and continue playing, but it has been fixed.

that's all i know.

--------------------
"By keeping others at a distance you avoid a betrayal of your trust.
But while you may not be hurt that way you musnt forget that you must endure the loneliness."
Friendly Hostility Fanboi
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Aug 13 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

well I think it stinks, but oh well, what can you do?

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
Aki
post Aug 13 2005, 02:29 AM
Post #4

Mouth
Group Icon

Yeah.

Morrowind's way of dealing with it was PERFECT.

You tell the player he broke something, if he chooses to ignore this, then so be it. By doing do you void the "umbrella seller about how the game's broken" policy... tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

"You’ve put up a good fight, but I’m through playing. Now I’m going to kick your [censored] and tell of my glory under the next full moon. Die well.”

+Quote Post
Daikirai
post Aug 13 2005, 04:35 AM
Post #5

Unregistered

Personally, I think forced reloading is a good idea. You have to consider that if you've never touched the main quest, you've got 300+ hours of gameplay, and a level 50 character, but you suddenly decide you want to do the main quest, you've got to make a new character. Though that's not why it was implimented, that's one advantage.

The one thing that I'm pissed about though is the 'icon' that tells you if they're related to the main quest or not. It seems like a huge, in-game spoiler to me, but I have faith in Bethesda Game Studios.
+Quote Post
Aki
post Aug 13 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Daikirai @ Aug 12 2005, 11:35 PM)
Personally, I think forced reloading is a good idea. You have to consider that if you've never touched the main quest, you've got 300+ hours of gameplay, and a level 50 character, but you suddenly decide you want to do the main quest, you've got to make a new character. Though that's not why it was implimented, that's one advantage.

Morrowind TOLD you when you killed someone important.

So, you knew when you broke the game, and that you'd NEVER finish the mainquest. If someone ignores that, then well, they got what they deserved.

Beth shouldn't have to mess up the game to make it idiot-proof.

--------------------
IPB Image

"You’ve put up a good fight, but I’m through playing. Now I’m going to kick your [censored] and tell of my glory under the next full moon. Die well.”

+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Aug 14 2005, 02:17 AM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

you should be able to kill whoever you want.

maybe allow you to click "no i don't wanna reload!!"

This post has been edited by Dantrag: Aug 14 2005, 02:18 AM

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
Daikirai
post Aug 14 2005, 02:56 AM
Post #8

Unregistered

QUOTE(Aki @ Aug 13 2005, 03:07 PM)
Morrowind TOLD you when you killed someone important.

So, you knew when you broke the game, and that you'd NEVER finish the mainquest. If someone ignores that, then well, they got what they deserved.

Beth shouldn't have to mess up the game to make it idiot-proof.

Yes, you're right, it did tell you, but that doesn't mean you'll pay attention. In the end it can only work out to your advantage, and as many wise men have stated, if not being able to kill 0.00001% of the game's NPCs is this big of an issue, I can only imagine what you'd do if they decided not to impliment mounts.
+Quote Post
Aki
post Aug 14 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Daikirai @ Aug 13 2005, 09:56 PM)
Yes, you're right, it did tell you, but that doesn't mean you'll pay attention. In the end it can only work out to your advantage, and as many wise men have stated, if not being able to kill 0.00001% of the game's NPCs is this big of an issue, I can only imagine what you'd do if they decided not to impliment mounts.

I like some degree of immersion and realism. Mounts i don't miss as much as the ability to cut down a guy without getting reverted to a previous save as if this man was some godly extension of Akatosh who can throw back in the past for attacking him... tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Channler
post Aug 14 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Needless to say that was a very wonderful feature in morrowind, I never corrupted any of my 7 files when I went on mass murderous rages. If your gonna kill someone important, then please save before it. That was the logic. Now its, well its no fun to play in a world where you can't beat the MAIN QUEST.

How many really beat the MQ right away?

--------------------
“I'm not insensitive, I just don't care.”
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
MerGirl
post Aug 14 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #11

Mouth
Group Icon

Hmm... Well, I'm not sure what my stance is on this force reload, because I'm not entirely sure how it works (like, can you kill the main quest peoples after finishing the main quest?).

In a way, I do not like this forced reload. As long as I get a warning that I will not be able to finish the Main Quest or whatever, then I'm fine with that. But, being forced to re-load sounds annoying, but I'll have to wait and play the game before judging it.

Anyway, my sister and I like to go on killing sprees. After all, isn't the game about freedom to do what you want? Well, I like to go on random killing sprees. I would kill anyone anytime, especially if they are annoying or give me really dumb rewards for frustrating quests or give me stupid quests (like that woman wanting that stupid ring from the pond).

I do not really like the plots of the Main Quest anyway, both in Morrowind and Oblivion, and I doubt I would want to finish it. (I'm really interested in factions/Guilds quests). Oblivion's plot sounds too... boring and political, as well as limiting (I mean, demons invading = I have to save the day, right?) my freedom.

Basically, I want my killing sprees (with some warning), but I want to choose to keep these people dead without re-loading! Unless I'm doing Necromancy, I want these people to stay dead... and never return.

This post has been edited by MerGirl: Aug 14 2005, 06:23 PM
+Quote Post
Red
post Aug 14 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

The thing is though, many NPC files rely on said quest NPCs, so if you killed Johnnyimportent, JoeyreliesonJohnnyimportent would become corrupt, creating broken game texts and situations that would destroy the plot. Anyways, I don't like forced reloading but I understand why its in there and can live with it.

--------------------
//LEFT ARM PULLS TRIGGER, RIGHT ARM SHRUGS SHOULDER//TRANSMISSION ENDED
+Quote Post
Zelda_Zealot
post Aug 15 2005, 04:07 AM
Post #13

Knower
Group Icon

I think there should be an option to turn it off in the options menu, get the best of both worlds. You could just turn it off and go on a killing spree, so long as a warning comes up if you killed a plot important person.

--------------------
The Sun and Moon transform day to night, but what transforms the mind?
The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.
+Quote Post
King Death
post Aug 16 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #14

Finder
Group Icon

I liked how MW did it. It was a nice big ol' message in the screen. That way I could go and kill half of Vvardenfell and then wait through a 50,000,000 hour load time.

--------------------
"I am like so totaly like like totaly totaly like to-"
*BANG*
Hehe.. I just killed my inner child...
Click
+Quote Post
Daikirai
post Aug 16 2005, 06:28 AM
Post #15

Unregistered

We'll see who likes and dislikes the Forced Reloads when you decide to begin the main quest as at level eighty. ^_~

Like I said, if not being able to kill 40/1000 NPCs aggrivates you to this extent, why bother playing the game to begin with? You'll be better off with a nice copy of Halo 2. And anyway, killing sprees are a waste of time. Ever notice that when you're done with them, the world around you seems a bit lonely?

If I hadn't made it abundantly clear, I'm very glad that they've implimented forced reloads. A person who says those who ignore the warning deserve what they get are hypocrites. A person who's upset about not being able to kill 20 or so NPCs has the maturity of a ten year old. Thank you, goodnight.
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Aug 16 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Daikirai @ Aug 16 2005, 06:28 AM)
We'll see who likes and dislikes the Forced Reloads when you decide to begin the main quest as at level eighty. ^_~

Like I said, if not being able to kill 40/1000 NPCs aggrivates you to this extent, why bother playing the game to begin with? You'll be better off with a nice copy of Halo 2. And anyway, killing sprees are a waste of time. Ever notice that when you're done with them, the world around you seems a bit lonely?

If I hadn't made it abundantly clear, I'm very glad that they've implimented forced reloads. A person who says those who ignore the warning deserve what they get are hypocrites. A person who's upset about not being able to kill 20 or so NPCs has the maturity of a ten year old. Thank you, goodnight.

well I must say you have a point. Realy the only reason I kill people is becuse I would like the weapon/armor they have on. And I liked the lvl 80 statement tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
Intestinal Chaos
post Aug 16 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

I personally dislike forced reload. It doesn't matter to me much because I generally don't kill main chars. But having a little choice would be nice. Morrowind's method of telling you was perfect, If you wanted to play the game the way you wanted to fine, not every player is going to go around killing important PC's then go "THIS SUCKS!" and not start a new file and the ones that do should really be shot because it warned them it would be boring and impossible to finish.
+Quote Post
MerGirl
post Aug 16 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Daikirai @ Aug 16 2005, 01:28 AM)

Which is why I say there shouldn't be the forced re-load. Besides, I probably will never get to level 80. Real life gets in the way too much. So far, I do not really like the plot of Oblivion so far. Unless the 9 Divines or the Daedric(sp?) Princes show up, I'm not interested in being forced to play the MQ.

Er, in Morrowind (on PC), it's called CS. If people using X-Box choose to do killing sprees, maybe they should have an extra save or something?

I still like the ability to choose at least. If I wanted to RP a merciless vampire who hates a certain NPC, I would like the choice to kill him/her. Especially if it's an annoying person whose quest I will probably never do.

I do not like Halo/Halo 2, because they are not my kind of game. Morrowind was my kind of game: includes the ability to RP whoever we want (mostly anyway) and still have that 'merciless killing spree' like GTA. Killing sprees are nice, because if I feel stressed out one day, then I want to be able to relax and not worry about any quests. (Besides, who says I'm going to save right after a killing spree?)

Morrowind, Daggerfall, and Arena are about RPing whoever we want, no? I mean, we can turn into bloodthirsty vampires/werewolves. Why not crazy assassins?

That's what I loved so much about Morrowind: Unlike other RPG's, you actually have a choice to become what evil-ish. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Intestinal Chaos
post Aug 16 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #19

Mouth
Group Icon

Yes yes, indeed, it's all about rp'ing whatever the hell you want. Personally I didn't like Halo/2 I belive it to be the scourge of the Earth and an extremely over-hyped game that is nothing more than just a generic shooter.
+Quote Post
Channler
post Aug 17 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #20

Master
Group Icon

Aren't you the dude that almost went crazy over the fall of the empire thing?

Anyways, if you haven't SAVED before you made it to level 80 then you are a fool to begin with... Think about that. You will have a save game prob not more then an hour before that.. So yes if you do kill someone you weren't supposed to and say you do accidently click play on IT WOULD STILL HAVE THE SAME AFFECT...

(A..

You kill some important dude in the MQ and then the message pops up telling you, you have to reload. So you do and go back to your last reload.

(B..

You kill some important dude in the MQ and then the message pops up telling you, you have to reload. You click continue and keep on killing, when you reload you go back to your last save game.

Same exact thing

It doesn't matter either way, but in the last choice at least you get more freedom to do what you want to do...

Do you want Beth to make the game Idiot proof?

--------------------
“I'm not insensitive, I just don't care.”
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 07:14 AM