Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seasons of Cyrodil
Chorrol.com > Mods > Oblivion Mods
Unmourned
One major thing that isn't adressed in Oblivion was annual season changes. I don't know if the in-game weather changes dramatically from season to season, but I think that it would only require some minor scripting.

But why not apply complete aesthetic changes to Cyrodil as a whole? Would it require top-of-the-line graphics and scripting? Would we simply be able to replace textures or objects through a gradual, possibly in-game-monthly, script? Or would it require cutting and pasting leaves from trees, restructuring water so it will freeze, recoloring ground textures, and animating falling leaves in autumn?

And taking it one step further, how would it effect the citizens of Cyrodil? Would there be a harvest season? Or even a harvest festival? Will different races stay inside during different types of weather? Such as Nords in sun, Redguards in blizzards? Would there be survival/stat bonuses for adventuring in fair weather? And what about the monsters and animals? Would bears hibernate? Would creatures respawn more readily in spring? Where do the birds go?

Obviously, there is a lot of room for innovation in this area. I think that since the game when thoroughly played will provide several seasons, and possibly years, this would add alot of enjoyment to any roleplayer's experience. If you're someone like me who stops and catches their breath whenever their undurance runs low, you have alot of time to appreciate the forests, plains and mountains of the empire. What could better enrich the game than a gradual, dramatic change of scenery? I believe this is something the entire modding community can come together for, and I look forward to any feedback.
Luciro
On the offical site they actually talk about this as an optional patch. They were going to do holidays but apparently it's bugged a few people of the religious sort. I don't see why. If they're steeled up enough to role-play in a game with imaginary deities then they should have the notion that a pretend holiday isn't real. Bother.
Dirox
good point Luciro...

i have ovlivion siting here but no drive biggrin.gif

Concerning Weather

- People would probably need to change closthes.

- Changing objects, if its like morrowind is not posible, but that may have been changed im geting a new drive tomorow..

- Speach is imposible to implement inless you creat new actors and find some way of doing voice acting for them..

- I dont like tampering with scripts of the original npc's, and if you do it save the script somewhere or copy the existing script into a new one or make a new NPC.

- About the christmas meets religion thing, if people dont want it, they dont have to get it. We are allowed to accept or reject christmas in a video game or on any other grounds.

Hey does anyone wana join the new mod crew in town?
So far it has 1 whole member
me

Email me if you do !

SwollenDirox@hotmail.com

http://www.waiting4oblivion.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2152

~Dirox
Luciro
You'll enjoy Oblivion and if setting up the world structure is anything like the lil' tidbit of a tool we get for setting the decor of the homes you buy up then indeed having the world load anew after exiting a city wouldn't be bad at all.
For those who don't have the game yet most towns, not all, load up as if they were dungeons or some sort in sections. Also I believe if you dwelled deep enough into the game you could indeed move logs, boxes, houses about. Don't quote me, this game has brought me back into the modding circuit.
Unmourned
I think I do a pretty good Dunmer voice, and I might be able to dig up sounds from other sources. But people wouldn't really have to comment on the weather, so it's not a big problem. I wouldn't really think clothing change would be a big issue. It could be ignored completely.

Regarding the holiday issue, I believe it may spoil the game to have references to Christmas and other holidays for some players. Who remembers Uncle Sweetshare of Bloodmoon? There were definite Santa Clause references within that quest, but it was an optional quest. That is not what I was recommending, but it's a worthy point.

I was thinking more along the lines of natural observances. All cultures have a harvest, and there is always a solstice and equinox. I'm not sure how this applies to a world with two moons, but it's worth finding out. Perhaps a festival mod could run seperately to the seasons mod. There could be a wine festival, midwinter feast, spring cleaning, and anniverseries of Tamrielic events. Come to think of it, what are the empire's holidays?

It may also be worth mentioning that I don't have Oblivion yet, and that I'm better at thinking up ideas than technically applying them. There will probably be major snags in developement, but so far it sounds like the ideas are running smooth.
Unmourned
Shameless bump.
Ibis
The presence of two moons is indeed interesting in regards to weather. It would be worth a trip to the Imperial Library to try to find out as much as possible about both moons cycles and address your weather/seasons accordingly. I know it is the slant of the home planet to the sun that really makes the seasons, but the moon does play its part - and two must play more of a part.

It would require a really lot of retexturing though if you were going to create intensely different winter and summer seasons though - snow & bare tree branches as opposed to green grass and full, leafy trees. And of course the NPCs would all have to wear more or warmer clothing in the colder time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.