Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RP n00b
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Role-playing
DungeonHunter
ive never role played in a forum before, and i'd like to, but i just dont get how. a few questions i have:

-how do you check a topic for updates and reply quickly? refresh the page?

-is there a time that everybody should be on?

-whats a playground?

if these could be answered it'd be much appreciated viking.gif

also maybe a guide to roleplaying? incase there are things i didnt think of?

thanks smile.gif
jack cloudy
1: I refresh the page from time to time. I'm a bit of a forum noob myself so I can't give the perfect answer to this one.

2: There is no time that I'm aware of, but most people tend to be on late in the evening. Due to different timezones, I won't try to go into confusing details.

3: The rp consists of three threads. Character, planning and the Playground.
The Character thread is for introducing new characters and their information.
The Planning thread is used to plan events in the playground, though it rarely seems to work as planned.
The Playground is where it happens, this is the rp itself.

An RP is basically a story written in the 3rd person. The only difference is that there are multipe writers and that each writer writes for his/her character(s). What follows is a story which is not set in stone from the beginning and evolves as the characters interact with each other and their environment.

To Rp, you make your character in the character thread. I suggest you check out other people's characters to get an idea of what to think of. Then you can use that character in the playground thread while the planning thread is used to plan things.

Finally, here's a small hint regarding things. If an action of your character requires a response from another character (that's not controlled by you) you should only write about the action of your character, and wait for the other rp'er to decide on the outcome. I'll take a simple combat scene for example between Bob and Ted:

(Wrong version).
Bob's writer:,, Bob leaped forward and swung down his axe. The blade struck and sank deep into Ted who dropped to the ground in pain."
Ted's writer:,,........"

(Right version).
Bob's writer:,, Bob leaped into the air and swung down his axe."
Ted's writer:,, Ted tried to avoid the blade but failed and the axe sank into him. Ted dropped to the ground in pain."

The outcome is the same, but at least Ted's writer had the chance to decide his character's fate. (In this case, it was likely an unpleasant fate.)

The best hint I can give you is to read the playground thread to get a feel of how things are done.

DungeonHunter
thanks a ton jack! i'll do that and hopefully chorrol will have a new RP'er!
DungeonHunter
also, could someone be so kind as to explain where the to heir is human story is right now and where/ how i should jump in?

ps: what does "OOC" mean?
The Metal Mallet
Out Of Character I believe. Though I haven't RPed yet, I'm quite sure that what it is.

I've done Starcraft RPing, but that's MUCH more different. I still can't believe how many hours I've put into RPing on that game tongue.gif.... fun times
Kiln
QUOTE(DungeonHunter @ Aug 15 2006, 01:03 AM) *

also, could someone be so kind as to explain where the to heir is human story is right now and where/ how i should jump in?

ps: what does "OOC" mean?

Well I dropped out of the RP so I'm not sure where it stands at the moment. I can however, tell you that OOC means "Out of Character". This is used when making a comment that is not directly involved with the character or story.

Think of an RP as a story that everyone works collectively to build. Something to remember is that when performing an action against another roleplayer like attacking them, it is important to leave the outcome open and let them choose whether or not it lands.

Example
Good RP action: Jack swung his blade hard for Deagan's head in an attempt to strike him. cool.gif

Bad RP action: Jack swung his blade and decapitated Deagan with a single stroke. nono.gif

Off topic edit: Starcraft is awesome.
Ibis
Let me ask here - Can only one RP be running at Chorrol at the same time? I really missed out at the start of To Heir is Human. I guess I should check the boards and see what's going on.
jack cloudy
Things are going very slow at the moment. I wouldn't mind to start a second rp till the heir picks up again. Right now we're all frozen in time by the terrible spell of Veric, the ultimate baddie.

DungeonHunter
sounds fun. tahnks guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.