Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shield of Resdayn
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Art
jack cloudy
Hopefully, I won't forget about this if I post it here.

Anyway, I've decided to model Pelinal which is also known under various titles, including Shield of Resdayn, a certain Dwemer Centurion that plays a role in one of my stories (Which I hope to update tonight.)

So far, I've only got a basic head ready, no details yet or anything.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/jack...dy/pelinal1.jpg

jack cloudy
I've played around with the lighting settings for a bit and added two details to the head. One is a pair of wings (like on those big sleds from the sixties) the other is a door which has been coloured green for ease of viewing. Till I get to the textures, it's a bit hard to see stuff in a render. Anyway, the door should give a slight sense of scale.

IPB Image
Taillus
very nice Jack. I just wish I could produce anything even remotely akin to something of that caliber. I can't wait to see the finished product!!!
jack cloudy
Nah, I'm just an amateur. You should see what those pros can whip up. (ignoring the fact that they regularly seem to pass the 1 million polies.)

I haven't had much to show, but I guess I'll just post up this one.
I have been kicking around several basic sword designs, which ran through a lot of possibilities. (Claymore, dagger, shortsword, scimitar, oversized Trueflame.)

This is the one I'm personally happiest with, though I'm not satisfied with the pommel. The good points are the crossguard and the blade. I simply dig that slight downwards curve followed by a large extension at the end.
IPB Image
milanius
Nice... very unconventional sword.
Taillus
Nicely done, very creative sword. I think it would come in handy as a sort of half sword, half axe. A wielder could potentially lock the blade of opponents with the gap in this blade, turning hard and possibly disarming an opponent. Whimsical but maybe even practical! I would definately equip a character with one of these biggrin.gif
Ibis
That is a great sword ... looks a bit dangerous to use. ohmy.gif
jack cloudy
Long time no update and guess what, still no update.

Hmm, I need an excuse. Lessee. Oh, I know. I've been practising. That sounds like a good excuse. tongue.gif

Let me list them.

Vampire MK III
IPB Image
Notice the lack of feet.

SRG-01 Soldares
IPB Image
This one does have feet, and a bit more. No textures though because I instantly moved on to....

SRG-00 Soldares Infini. (Also known as: The thing with so many guns and missiles it has never been tested out of fear for vapourizing the planet.)
IPB Image
Fully jointed hands, and more guns. I'm still working on this one.

Now for Pelinal, I'm thinking of taking the Soldares Infini and modifying it. I need to remove the big booster pack, all the guns and then work on smoother limbs. And new feet.
jack cloudy
Removed the big laser on the head, most of the torso, both legs, backpack, antigravity system, a few dozen missile tubes and more. I modified the shoulders a bit and now I'm good to go.

IPB Image
The Metal Mallet
Those shoulders definitely look dwemerish, good choice.
Ibis
I like all this 3D work you are doing , Jack. How about some textures too? I love how MIlanius shows us a new bare mesh and then we get to see him play with it and textureize it in installment pictures. So cool! biggrin.gif
milanius
Sweet Mother of Megatron ohmy.gif I'm drooling here. Did Dwemer had these?!? How the hell DIDN'T they conquer entire Tamriel, then?
Ibis
Yes, they do look Dwemerish in the entirety of the group. Can we expect to see them ingame at some future date? Hope so.
jack cloudy
Dang, I just can't seem to find the time to work on this thing. Anyway, I've done some stuff with the torso. That's all. Only half an hour of work I'm afraid.

Ibis, textures will come as soon as I'm sure I've absolutely finished the actual mesh. With the way I model, retexturing is a pain. Also, I'm afraid it won't be ingame at any point in time. I use the wrong program, the wrong file-format and I'll probably end up with like a few thousand polies too much.

Milanius, why the Dwemer never conquered the world baffles scholars to this day. Centurions like Numidium and Pelinal are unique due to their size so there were never more built of them. (The robot I used as the base for Pelinal was 126 metres tall) But even then, it doesn't make sense. Surely there must have been slightly smaller Centurions that were powered by more mundane sources than the heart of a god. And even if the biggest Centurion below Pelinal is the Steam Centurion found all over the place, they could still conquer the whole world by sheer power of mass-production. I guess they were just too busy having lunch or something. Or maybe they were really pacifistic.

IPB Image
Soulseeker3.0
QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Sep 2 2007, 11:52 AM) *

Milanius, why the Dwemer never conquered the world baffles scholars to this day. Centurions like Numidium and Pelinal are unique due to their size so there were never more built of them. (The robot I used as the base for Pelinal was 126 metres tall) But even then, it doesn't make sense. Surely there must have been slightly smaller Centurions that were powered by more mundane sources than the heart of a god. And even if the biggest Centurion below Pelinal is the Steam Centurion found all over the place, they could still conquer the whole world by sheer power of mass-production. I guess they were just too busy having lunch or something. Or maybe they were really pacifistic.

Hahahaha very nice explanation Jack, very nice.

Your centurions are very well put together so far Jack. With every update they become more polished and what not. Can't wait to see them in fully functioning form
milanius
QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Sep 2 2007, 04:52 PM) *

...or, maybe they didn't pay their electricity bill so someone cut their power supply? kvright.gif
In any case, those will look yummy in that rugged yellowish Dwemer.
Ibis
*drools* .. 'drool of antiqued yellowy golden color'
jack cloudy
Redid, redid and redid the legs again. I'm using a new joint system for them, which radically redevelops the hip area. (translation, no more ridiculously slim waists! smile.gif )

Only now the arms are nagging me. kvleft.gif

Anyway, here is an unpolished render of Pelinal, including a glowy sword that's sticking into the ground (so yes, it is actually even longer than what is visible.) It is unpolished because after three hours, I decided I was too tired to wait for it to finish. Oh, and the colours are not-final. My render engine just has a bronze material in the library which I slapped on.

IPB Image
milanius
Awez. It's beginning to look big & nasty.
Ibis
It looks great in the golden color.
jack cloudy
Another new sword, some more work on the shins and I think that's it. Hmm, a rather short post. How about some technobabble?

The big fins on the back are actually armoured heat exhaust filters. Basically, it is a not so vulnerable collection of pipes. Pelinal doesn't run on steam power, but it still gets hot from time to time. To cool, it sucks in air (from as of yet unmodelled intakes), cycles it throughout the body and then shoots it out through the back. To be honest, heat disposal is not much of a problem. Akulakhan had no trouble standing in a lake of magma with its internals exposed and Pelinal is likely superior to that machine in all respects. Dwemer steel can take a lot. But still, there are times that Pelinal might be so active it really begins to heat up and that's what it's for.

Now that I think of the temperatures involved, Pelinal would probably fry any organic being that gets too close just from radiated heat. biggrin.gif

Moving on to the sword, I've been thinking of a scabbard. A back-scabbard won't work due to the fins. A hip-scabbard will limit it in its movements and will make walking through a city even more of a pain than it already is. (Well, as long as the city's continued existence is a priority. If it isn't, just stomp through all the buildings.)

So I've decided that Pelinal has its very own warehouse complete with a maintenance staff of smaller Centurions. From there, it can summon a shiftgate and basically draw whatever it needs out of the air. The only problem with this is how I describe shiftgates in Corrupted Heart. In there, they are a wall or pool of magical water. Once used, the water becomes plain water and splashes down onto the ground. This is all nice and handy, but considering the size of Pelinal's weapons, every single shiftgate will mean a brand-new lake.

Wow, I guess Pelinal simply won't function when a friendly army is nearby. If it is all alone and surrounded by enemies though, it has way too many ways to dispose of any nasties. Flooding, frying, slicing, stomping, poking with a spear, causing heart attacks by just being plain intimidating. Sending them flying with all the earthquakes it makes by merely walking. Dammit, now I want a render system that can animate this machine. tongue.gif
IPB Image
jack cloudy
Ok, I'm kinda stuck. So in the meantime, I've updated Soldares Infini. As you can see, it shares a lot of details with Pelinal, though all the torso detail makes it look much better. But again I’ve ground down to a halt here as well so I would like to ask everyone’s advice on how to improve both models. Any mecha fans in the house? And I think I should do some modelling for Revan, I had promised him.

But you can’t give advice if you don’t know what you’re looking at, right? So it’s time for the good old exposition.

The Soldares Infini is a robot that was built by an eccentric professor to protect earth from an Alien attack. (Sounds like 60s mecha anime? I hope so, including all the exaggerated over the topness.) The plan had two phases.
1: Instigate an arms race. To do this, the Soldares would perform activities most would describe as terrorism. Blowing up harbours, attacking military bases, that sort of stuff.
2: If phase 1 does not meet the desired results on time, take care of the aliens by itself.
In order to accommodate both phases, the Soldares Infini has two ‘forms’ which are really just two different power sources.

Form 1: This is the weakest form, relying on good old Fusion power to supply its needs. In this form, the Soldares only has a weak and easily penetrated field, armour roughly equal to that of a tank and a single head laser with just enough power to burn through the hulls of a warship. Still, it can fly and is far superior to jets, tanks, other robots, if properly used.

Form 2: Form 2 is just a tad more powerfull *cough* and relies on some quasi-unscientific will-force to power everything.

In this form, the Soldares Infini gains a field with ten times the output of the old one, two more lasers capable of scything the moon in half, the ability to split the moonscything lasers into countless independently tracking beams, two really big guns on the chest, the ability to phase out for half a second, teleportation, and finally the ability to eject ‘solid’ immat (the will thingy I mentioned.) The immat is either used to block stuff that got through the field, or focussed around the fists for punching.

So to give a small impression about the difference in powerscale, form 1’s full firepower is about equal to a nuke if properly used and allowed to stay around for a while. Form 2 can take out stellar bodies with its lesser weapons and punch a warship going at near lightspeed without suffering any damage. The warship in this case, would be turned into a cloud of space dust going at near lightspeed. MUHAHAHAH!!!! devilsmile.gif devilsmile.gif devilsmile.gif devilsmile.gif devilsmile.gif (There aren't enough evil smilies to describe my maniacal laughter.)

So, any advice on what I should add/remove/modify?
IPB Image

IPB Image
Lord Revan
I feel tempted to brag about the *Curse the fact Revan hasn't gotten that far* the wicked awesome (and theoretically possible weapons) weapons and such.......

And about the.... ph34r.gif stuff, I can give you some more details, Cloudy. I guess I could post something about Gungnir, seeing as she's already been revealed...... somewhat, Kusanagi and Acheron will remain mysteriously shrouded until Part III.
jack cloudy
I had time, so I decided to plug around some more. The wrists are now recessed into sockets so they don't stand out as much. The head now sports a sort of crown. (Ok, spikes). There are some greeblies on the torso and the back has two circular intakes.

That kinda bugs me though it does look like the best spot. All the hot air is blown out of the back, so why should it suck in cold air from the same direction? All I can say is, the exhaust is quite a bit higher and stuff. Speaking of which, I've put up an extrusion where the pipes extend from the fins. I'll have to put some details on the sides of said fins.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Ibis
OMG that's looking great with the latest coloring and details. Very awesome. I get the idea that you are not quite finished yet though, cloudy. I just keeps developing better n better.
jack cloudy
Since I've posted about this bot earlier, I figured I might as well give an update on it.

Story-wise, Soldares Infini is still the ultimate badass around, although it has switched from: "OMG, I AM LIKE A GOD, FEAR ME." to: "OMG, I AM LIKE A GHOST, FEAR ME." Not cloaking device style here (although that is a side-effect), but the 'can't touch me' style.

IPB Image
As is obvious here, I've changed the chest and the abdomen, and given it some really long toes.
IPB Image
The back doesn't show much, just more of the wings. Originally, the red bits and the yellow bits glowed as well, but after six hours and 2% of the render done, I figured that might be a bit too much glow for my comp to handle.

I think it's too yellow, by the way.
Ibis
Wow, wild colorations. I love it!!
mALX
QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Dec 16 2007, 02:18 PM) *

Since I've posted about this bot earlier, I figured I might as well give an update on it.

Story-wise, Soldares Infini is still the ultimate badass around, although it has switched from: "OMG, I AM LIKE A GOD, FEAR ME." to: "OMG, I AM LIKE A GHOST, FEAR ME." Not cloaking device style here (although that is a side-effect), but the 'can't touch me' style.

IPB Image
As is obvious here, I've changed the chest and the abdomen, and given it some really long toes.
IPB Image
The back doesn't show much, just more of the wings. Originally, the red bits and the yellow bits glowed as well, but after six hours and 2% of the render done, I figured that might be a bit too much glow for my comp to handle.

I think it's too yellow, by the way.

(great avatar, BTW) - Awesome job - I liked the dark coloring on it for realism, but imagining it glowing was pretty exciting too, lol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.