Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happened to TESSource?
Chorrol.com > Elder Scrolls Games > Oblivion
stargelman
Many have inquired what has happened to the Oblivion and Morrowind modsite TESSource: a short while ago it went down. Today, Dark0ne sent out this email:

This is Dark0ne, creator of the late TESSource, with an important message about recent events, and good news about the future of Oblivion mod uploading and downloading.

Many regulars to TESSource will have noticed that, as of September 11th, TESSource has been unavailable. This happened for two reasons; (1) I forgot to clear the credit card bill and, subsequently, the servers couldn’t be paid for on time and (2) business!

Almost a year to this day I setup Gaming Source Ltd with a silent partner, a small company that would deal with the gaming sites I created. Unfortunately my feelings on the business situation changed, and I decided I wanted to move away from the partnership of Gaming Source Ltd. and focus on my own work. 100% of TESSource was coded, run, and maintained by myself, but I only had 50% ownership of it. It just wasn’t what I wanted and it reduced my impetus to make improvements and expand the site further. So at heavy expense to myself (somewhere in the region of £6,000, or $11,000) I have made that move, cut ties with Gaming Source Ltd., and now look forward to a new start.

So enough about the boring stuff. What does this mean? Alas, TESSource is gone, but all is definately NOT lost. Through amicable negotiations with my soon to be ex-business partner I have retained the rights to use both the forum database and the TESSource site database. I can also point the TESSource.net domain toward a new site I have created from the ashes of TESSource, TES Nexus (http://www.tesnexus.com).

TES Nexus is a site that follows in the foot steps of TESSource. TESSource was the product of three years of website coding; a mish-mash of various rookie and amateur website code, coded by yours truely. TES Nexus is a new site from the ground up, built off the TESSource database, and the result of all the things I learnt from creating TESSource. TES Nexus is faster, more secure, more efficient and more user-friendly than before. TESSource took 3 years to code, TES Nexus has taken 8 days; and it’s going to get better.

TES Nexus contains all the files that were available on TESSource. None have been lost. The new forums (http://www.thenexusforums.com) contain all your member details, so you won’t even need to register again in order to access the files. Uploaders will still have access to the files they uploaded to TESSource, and all the file comments and ratings have been retained. Alas, not everything could be saved; all the file images, and images that were a part of the “Image Share” section have been lost. These are easily replaced though, and I encourage mod uploaders to login to the new site and reupload the images that belong to their files once more.

My aim over the past week has been to focus on the bare essentials, the parts of TESSource that kept it going. There’s no contesting the fact that the most popular section of TESSource was the file database. The TES Nexus file database can be found at http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/ and can perform all the basic functions of the TESSource database. Certain advanced features, such as the file tagging and Top 150 have not yet been coded, but will be in due time. For 90% of users I’m positive the experience will be as simple and efficient, if not more simple and efficient than it was on TESSource.

In a similar fashion to TESSource, TES Nexus has a more recognised Premium Membership option available for those people willing to support the site (and me!). Currently premium members are provided with uncapped download speeds from the file servers and an advert free browsing experience. Additional features will be available for Premium Members soon, such as your complete download history, file and author tracking and daily update emails with all the new files and latest file updates. People who paid for Supporter access on TESSource have not been forgotten, and I am endeavouring to make sure your remaining time (credited with the lost days) is added into the new Premium Member system. Your support was greatly appreciated on TESSource, and I wish to honour that. There is more information on the premium membership, and how to apply at http://www.tesnexus.com/premium.php

My thanks go to various prominent members of the Elder Scrolls community who have supported me during this time, along with the many people on the official forums who gave me the impetus to push on with TES Nexus. Without them this task would have been far more daunting.

I encourage you to visit the new site and let me know what you think. If you’re going to be negative, please try to be constructive, too! I hope people like the new site and, most of all, I hope people find it as useful to them as TESSource was.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy the site.

Best regards,
Robin Dark0ne Scott
Fargoth
yay! ;]] I hope the new site would be as good as the old one=]
Ibis
TES-Nexus is an excellent new website, it doesn't even feel new but like a true continuation of TESSoruce. Even your old User names and passwords will be carried over if you have any and relog in as them. Or you can change to something new.

It already has plenty of material there and many threads and quite a few members. I'm fairly certain that it will become one of the good old established TES forums like TESSource was in its own time.

Fargoth
oh, and by the way..this thread looks kindda' advertising. [hope stargelman won't kill me for this post] tongue.gif
stargelman
Well it is, isn't it? We've always had a friendly and constructive relation with those people and they had a bit of bad luck, so why not help them out in what little way we can? smile.gif
Fargoth
hey! you're right!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.