Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now Listening To (The Resurrection)
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92
treydog
The Saturday Late Night Random 10:

Funplex- The B-52s

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed- Allman Brothers

The Way- Fastball

Daydream Believer- The Monkees

I Ain't Superstitious- Howlin' Wolf

What I Like About You- The Romantics

Skating- Vince Guaraldi (A Charlie Brown Christmas)

A Sight for Sore Eyes- Tom Waits

Pennsylvania Six-Five Thousand- Glenn Miller

Style- U.R. Penetrators

As usual, it really is a random mix, esp. with the Vince Guaraldi in there...
Sir Radont
My brothers' band just came out with their first EP so I've been listening to that and Flyleaf a lot.
bbqplatypus
Robert Randolph...again. Honest to Pete, this guy should be more famous. Understand, I'm not the kind of guy who likes to get up and dance around. This guy's music makes me want to do that very thing. Seriously, if I were paralyzed from the waist down, I'm confident that I would find a way.
stargelman
Sue me, but...

I'm listening to Amy Winehouse and I like it!
bbqplatypus
IPB Image

I love Steve Winwood. Seriously, how could anyone NOT love Steve Winwood?

On a related note, I find the title song to be really interesting - not just because it's a great song, but because of the symbolic figure and pagan tradition it refers to. "John Barleycorn" is the personification of grain (and the harvesting of same), and was himself derived from the ancient pagan tradition of the "sacred king," who would be appointed as lord of the harvest and, in some traditions, was ritually sacrificed. It was actually thought to be really common in pre-Mycenaean Greece. Now, not all such traditions stipulated that the sacred king be killed, but there's something about a male sacrificial symbol of fertility that I find morbidly fascinating.
bbqplatypus
Okay, I am now listening to The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys. Did I mention that I love Steve Winwood?

IPB Image
bbqplatypus
And now I'm watching the Concert for George DVD. One of the best concerts ever performed, in my opinion.

IPB Image

(Incidentally, he's my favorite Beatle).
treydog
Saturday's Random 10 (on Sunday) Hey, I was cutting down a tree yesterday- what can I say?

Dice- Finley Quayle

Surrender- Cheap Trick

Hillbilly Highway- Steve Earle

She's the One- Bruce Springsteen

I Get Around- The Beach Boys

New Blue Moon- Traveling Wilburys

Can't Get It Out of My Head- Electric Light Orchestra

Rock 'n' Roll Angel- The Kentucky Headhunters

Dizz Knee Land- Dada

Here Comes the Night- Van Morrison
bbqplatypus
I'm now listening to my favorite album of all time.

IPB Image

This is my favorite album ever. Nowhere have I ever encountered a better treatise on what it is like to be a young man - angry, confused, and unsure of where to go. All the lame emo kids WISH they could say something this profound.

It's really quite telling how the Who's albums are all still so relevant even today.

...Honestly, I've run out of ways to express how much I love the Who. You put on this album on a clear, hot summer day and it feels cold and rainy inside.

Not to say that this album is perfect, because it's not. It isn't even the most flawless Who album - that would be Who's Next. It drags just a tad in places. It's one of those albums that demands your complete attention - it's not background music, and you can't listen to it while stoned (though the latter doesn't bother me, since I don't do drugs). But it reaches higher highs and connects on a more sincere, mature emotional level than any other album I've ever listened to, and for that it earns my top spot.

One question, though - why isn't this album as popular as some of the Who's other albums? Why don't people talk about it like they do Dark Side of the Moon (or Tommy, for that matter)? What don't people get? I mean, I don't mean to insult anyone's personal taste, but...geez.

Anywho, that's all I got to say. I gotta get runnin' now; always nippin' at someone's bleedin' 'eels.
bbqplatypus
IPB Image

And now I'm listening to Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.

Do I really need to explain this one? This album sold about seventy-six kazabatrillion copies and went platinum about eight jillion times. Anyone who doesn't own it has already heard it nearly in its entirety if they have ever listened to classic rock radio for any period of time.

For those of you who have been living under a rock, allow me to enlighten you. Rumours is the second album recorded by the fifth and most commercially successful lineup of the band Fleetwood Mac, a band that at one time changed lineups and even frontmen more often than I change my underwear. The only thing that every lineup of the band has in common is the rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, neither of whom contributed any songs. In other words, the band consisted of a stable group of sidemen supplanted by a rotating crew of frontmen, which makes it the opposite of, I don't know, pretty much every other band in fucking history.

But this incarnation of the band, unlike previous ones, had staying power - so much so that it's the only one most people have ever heard of (which is a bit of a shame, but I digress). The important thing is that they, unlike the previous lineups, produced catchy, melodic (if not particularly meaningful) 70s soft rock. Basically, they're a pop band descended from a blues outfit. But they're a good pop band, and this is their best album. The melodies are top-notch, and every song on it catches your ear in some way, from the creepy Stevie Nicks dirges to the swinging Christine McVie numbers to the generally perky and genial Nicks-Buckingham collaborations.

This is an album that I like to listen to when I'm in a lighter mood. Now, if you're interested in hearing some earlier Fleetwood Mac, I recommend Bare Trees. But that's another album for another time.
canis216
My recent line-up has included Radiohead's In Rainbows, Michael Franti and Spearhead's Yell Fire!, Abigail Washburn and the Sparrow Quartet, Metric's Live It Out, and The Black Keys' Chulahoma and Attack and Release.
treydog
A rather Southern-tinged Saturday Random 10:

Tom Ames' Prayer- Robert Earl Keen

Whipping Post- Allman Brothers

What I Like About You- The Romantics

Walk Softly on This Heart of Mine- Kentucky Headhunters

The General Specific- Band of Horses

One of Us- Joan Osborne

Down the Road Apiece- Chuck Berry

Someday- Steve Earle

Girls Talk- Dave Edmunds

Ol' 55- Tom Waits
bbqplatypus
So, treydog...I take it you're a Tom Waits fan. This is actually a great segue into who I'm listening to right now. It's a woman by the name of Jesca Hoop, who was actually a nanny for Tom Waits's kids for quite a while. Tom actually prodded her quite a bit to put her talents to use. Normally, I don't like weird, arty stuff like what she does, but I saw her open for Mark Knopfler a few months ago, and I was quite captivated by her performance.

Her music has kind of a bewitching hypnotic quality to it, belying an odd combination of innocence and stream-of-consciousness depth. I won't have it on very often, but I like to listen every now and then for a change of pace from the classic rock I normally listen to. It's the sort of thing that I like in fairly small doses when the planets are aligned just right, but I still like it a lot. There isn't anything else in my library that's remotely like it.

Here's a live version of my favorite song of hers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGcyOOIoLwY
treydog
Cool. Will have to check that out. Truthfully, some of Tom's weirder stuff (Black Rider, Bone Machine) leaves even me scratching my head. I don't so much mind his peculiar instrumentation (brake drum, anyone?) as the lyrical disjointedness of those albums. That is especially true because he can write some incredible lines-

"The moon's teeth marks are on the sky..."

"If I had all the money I used to spend on dope,
I'd buy me a used car lot, but I wouldn't sell any of 'em.
Just drive a different car every day, depending on how I feel."

On a different front, I have a good friend who is a major Traffic and Steve Winwood fan. He passed on these 2 jokes regarding "Higher Love." The first has to do with the instrumental opening:

"Steve just can't get his car started..." (For those who don't get it, listen to the opening... and put it on a loop.)

Second was a lyrical malaprop:

"Bring me a ham on rye" (As opposed to- "Bring me a higher love."

bbqplatypus
Yeah, I love a little good-natured ribbing at the expense of my favorite groups. One of the meaner ones I came up with for my favorite band is "Hope we get old before any more of us die."
bbqplatypus
IPB Image

Oh, hell yeah. This is the greatest live album of all time (though Live at the Isle of Wight gives it quite a run for its money). You really can't go wrong with this album. If you don't like it, you just don't understand rock and roll.
bbqplatypus
IPB Image

I'm on a bit of a Who binge right now. biggrin.gif
treydog
Saturday Random 10:

Heart Attack and Vine- Tom Waits

Eminence Front- The Who

Hoochie Coochie Man- Allman Brothers

Built for Comfort- Howlin' Wolf

Inside Out- Traveling Wilburys

Green Grass and High Tides- The Outlaws

Rebel Rebel- David Bowie

Subterranean Homesick Blues- Bob Dylan

Rock and Roll- Led Zeppelin

The One I Love- David Gray

You know, I need to get some CCR. I have 3 or 4 on LP (those are vinyl records for those too young to remember). I believe I will look into CDs, so I can listen in the truck or on the iPod....
minque
(those are vinyl records for those too young to remember).

Ha....hilarious, treydoggie! I'm not too young to remember, I've got a bunch of those ancient thingies ...hihi

Aaaaaaanyway, I've got my ipod loaded with about 5000 songs, so I have a lot to listen to...

Then again I listened to an unknown cd in my car today, that is I didn't know it but my daughter probably does since she's the one who put it there...the song is called " An angry inch" ....Nope I won't tell what it is about but it was...interesting
wink.gif

treydog
Ah, yes. Hedvig and the Angry Inch. I read a review of the film somewhere....
minque
QUOTE(treydog @ Oct 5 2008, 01:31 AM) *

Ah, yes. Hedvig and the Angry Inch. I read a review of the film somewhere....

Yes!!! Of course it was Hedvig...haha Now i remember....pretty funny actually.. biggrin.gif
stargelman
I'm listening to this cool hiphop compilation from 1999.

What's special about it?

Well, it's from (South) Korea. And in Korean. Pretty wild stuff!

I especially like a song called "Deung Il Yo GaNun Gil". I have positively no idea what it is about, but it sounds pretty good.

Does anyone here understand Korean? wink.gif
bbqplatypus
I'm watching (and listening) to The Last Waltz right now. I don't think that movie needs any introduction or explanation.

IPB Image
bbqplatypus
What better way to follow one roots rock classic than with another?

IPB Image
canis216
IPB Image

Been listening to this album some.
DoomedOne
So we post pictures now?

No, I'll post lyrics

Gravity y y y y on me
Never let me down

Gravity y y y y with me
Never let me go
No no
bbqplatypus
IPB Image

You know, a lot of people hate the Moody Blues for some reason. I really can't fathom why - they're an artsy pop band that writes pleasant melodies. Sometimes they get a bit overambitious and their reach exceeds their grasp, but their best is really great. And this album is their best, I think, if you can get past some of the crappy orchestration in parts.
bbqplatypus
IPB Image

J.J. Cale's Naturally - a true laid-back roots rock classic. J.J.'s minimalistic approach is clear from the get-go - it's been said that the songs on this album sound like demos. Did I already mention that this album is really laid-back? Because it pretty much embodies the definition of the word. It's never boring, though - the songwriting is top-notch.

I highly recommend this album to anyone who likes roots rock even a little bit. Particular highlights for me include "Call Me the Breeze," "Call the Doctor," "Don't Go to Strangers," "Clyde," "Crazy Mama," "River Runs Deep," and, of course, "After Midnight."

YouTube link:
This is so damn cool that listening will make your ears freeze
canis216
Here's a quick Youtube tour of some stuff I listen to:

"Lies" - The Black Keys : Great bluesy song from a great album.

"We're Going Wrong" - Cream: As played in Paris, back in (probably) 1967. I love how animated (compared to almost any other concert) Eric Clapton is in this performance.

"Empty" - Metric: I've really gotten into this band over the last year and a half or so. They do a lot of fairly up-tempo, high energy songs (they've been referred to as 'dance-rock') with downer lyrics. An interesting group.

"One Step Closer To You" - Michael Franti and Spearhead: Michael Franti likes to mix and match things stylistically. This is one of his mellower numbers, more easy-going pop than raging reggae-hip hop-pop-rock (which he does a lot of). Popular in among the college crowd in Missoula.

"A Fuller Wine" - Abigail Washburn and the Sparrow Quartet: Two banjos, a cello, a fiddle, great singing.

"Reckoner" - Radiohead: These guys need no introduction.

"Strange Desire" and "The Flame" - The Black Keys: More? Because these guys are great.
treydog
Saturday Night's Random 10:

This is Hip- John Lee Hooker

Oye Como Va- Santana

Come Dancing- The Kinks

On the Nickel- Tom Waits

Kryptonite- 3 Doors Down

The Heart of Saturday Night- Tom Waits

Humidity Built the Snowman- John Prine

Night- Bruce Springsteen

Sing, Sing, Sing- Benny Goodman

Trouble No More- Allman Brothers
bbqplatypus
And now, lyrics:

Here by the sea and sand
Nothing ever goes as planned,
I just couldn't face going home
It was just a drag on my own.
They finally threw me out
My mother got drunk on stout,
My dad couldn't stand on two feet,
As he lectured about morality.
Now I guess the families complete,
With me hanging round on the street
Or here on the beach.

The girl I love
Is a perfect dresser,
Wears every fashion
Gets it to the tee.
Heavens above,
I got to match her
She knows just how
She wants her man to be
Leave it to me.

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked
Maybe a touch of seersucker with an open neck
I ride a G S scooter with my hair cut neat
I wear my wartime coat in the wind and sleet.

I see her dance
Across the ballroom
UV light making starshine
Of her smile.
I am the face,
She has to know me,
I'm dressed up better than anyone
Within a mile.

So how come the other tickets look much better?
Without a penny to spend they dress to the letter.
How come the girls come on oh so cool
Yet when you meet 'em, every one's a fool.

Come sleep on the beach
Keep within my reach
I just want to die with you here.
I'm feeling so high with you here.
I'm wet and I'm cold
But thank God I ain't old
Why didn't I say what I mean?
I should have split home at fifteen
There's a story that the grass is so green,
What did I see?
Where have I been?

Nothing is planned, by the sea and the sand
minque
Going home in the car this afternoon I found a new sort of favourite, The 69 Eyes! They play melancholic Goth music..dark but very suitable today
Here's their website!

treydog
Saturday Morning Random 10:

Same Thing Happened to Me- John Prine

Little Queenie- Chuck Berry

Moving- George Thorogood

Where Were You Last Night- Traveling Wilburys

Werewolves of London- Warren Zevon

Mercy- Duffy

Dreams- The Cranberries

Woman from Tokyo- Deep Purple

The Way- Fastball

I Asked for Water- Howlin' Wolf
minque
Can't get this out of my head! The 69 Eyes with Brandon Lee!

This video is..beautiful in its sadness
bbqplatypus
IPB Image

This album is truly a religious experience. I put it on whenever I feel the need to get in touch with God. If there's any place in which He can be found, it's in music, and I think George, being a spiritual man himself, understood that better than anyone.
canis216
At this very moment (as I type) I'm listening to this: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=15644497

I love the searchable archive of past studio performances on NPR. It's great.

Might try listening to Calexico next.
minque
Got to post some lyrics that are stuck in my mind at the moment.

Brandon Lee by The 69 Eyes:

What would there be?
As the river of sadness turns into sea
Could there be
another thousand stories like you and me?
Wanted a heart, wanted a soul
More than anything else in this world
But we are doomed
Our flesh 'n' wounds
I would never give in

Just like the moon does
We rise'n'shine'n'fall
over you
That I rise'n'shine'n'crawl
Victims aren't we all

What would there be?
Beyond the eyes of Brandon lee
Could there be
a revenging angel left to bleed?
Wanted the truth, wanted the faith
More than anything else in this world
But we are doomed body and soul marooned
I would never give in

Just like the moon does
We rise'n'shine'n'fall
over you
That I rise'n'shine'n'crawl
Victims aren't we all!

Losing You by Sophie Zelmani:

I can tell
By your look
There's
Something
Missing
Something I took

I can tell
By the way you sound
Won't be long
You won't be around

Oh I'm losing you
Oh I'm losing you

Was it my words?
Or my silence
I know it hurts
My kind of violence

Won't you tell?
How I hurt you
Won't be long
You won't be around

Oh I'm losing you
Oh I'm losing you
canis216
I just purchased Calexico's new album, Carried to Dust. Here is a performance/interview from the great NPR radio show, "World Cafe". It's some interesting work.
stargelman
Tiamat - Cain
Mary Pearson - I can't believe
Johnny Cash - If I were a carpenter
Macy Gray - I try to say goodbye
Cyndi Lauper - True Colors
Jamiroquai - Cosmic Girl

Now tell me what is going on in my brain! laugh.gif
seerauna
Just found my copy of Rascal Flatts - Still Feels Good so I've been listening to that for the past hour or so.
minque
Listening to Enya, this irish little lady with the big voice.

Just listen to this! it makes me cry..

Not to mention this one!!
bbqplatypus
"Too Much of Anything" by the Who

"I can't remember before '49,
But I know...'48 was there.
My ears let in what I should speak out,
Hmmm, there's something in the air."

Awesome.

bbqplatypus
Have you seen this guy? Holy crap, this guy is amazing. You absolutely HAVE to watch this:

Click here to have your eyeballs blown back into your skull
canis216
That fella's a mighty fine guitar player. And hearing that compels me to link to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zrpqi2TNnE

And I should note that at this very moment I am downloading (from Amazon) Feast of Wire, an album from Calexico.
bbqplatypus
I was listening to this for much of the evening:

IPB Image

A hell of an album from two artists who go very well together.
canis216
I have that album... it's very nice.
canis216
Just purchased Buddy Guy's Skin Deep. It's pretty sweet.
bbqplatypus
IPB Image

Frampton Comes Alive.

Sometimes, an odd, inexplicable feeling will come over me where I just have to listen to some 1970s arena rock. Not Styx, REO Speedwagon, or Foreinger - God, no. Those bands suck. I'm talking about stuff like Boston or Peter Frampton. And on this occasion, I chose Peter Frampton.

Namely, his breakout live album, which catapulted him from his not-particulary-distinguished position as "the guitarist from Humble Pie" onto the international scene, where he became a household name...until I'm In You came out and he vanished into obscurity. I'm pretty sure you can see his face on milk cartons now.

This album can be seen as cheesy - some would call it rubbish. I don't dispute that - this ain't high art by any stretch of the imagination. However, I think Frampton Comes Alive! is an essential document of 70s arena rock (assuming you're the type of person who can stand to listen to it). And quite frankly, I think Paul McCartney at this stage in his career was even MORE excessive.

"Show Me the Way," "Baby I Love Your Way," and "Do You Feel Like We Do" (good stations play the full fifteen-minute version, bad stations don't) are all staples of classic rock radio now, and with good reason. All of them have some great hooks, and "Do You Feel Like We Do" has some great soloing (and a talking guitar). Other good songs include "Something's Happening" and "Shine On."

After an album like this, it was inevitable that anything that came after it would be seen as a letdown, and lo and behold, it was. I'm in You was nowhere near as well-liked. The fact that the album itself isn't that bad is beside the point. All that matters is that after that album came out, he disappeared into a pocket dimension beyond space and time and was never heard from again.

And yeah, Frampton looks like a girl on the cover of this album.
Olen
I'm trying to listen to NIN - The Slip but my media player is being awkward.

Currently I'm using The KMPlayer which works great but is the least user friendly program I've ever come accross (and fundementally a bit clunky though it hides it well). It simply refuses to add some things to its library, or to leave deleted things out.

I've tried XBMC but I'm finding it distressingly slow and ponderous.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to better ones (preferably open source)?
bbqplatypus
I'm listening to some REALLY old stuff right now - older than what I usually do. I'm talking up from Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, and John Lee Hooker up to Chuck Berry and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Dat's some good stuff right there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.