Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now Watching
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81
SubRosa
Just watched the first episode of The Great Queen Seondeok. I can see why haute likes it so much. It is a lovely historical drama with just at touch of mysticism, and plenty of lethal courtly intrigue. It is almost worth watching simply for the eye candy of costumes. From the lush gowns to the lamellar armor, it is all wonderful to look at.

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 7 2014, 08:27 PM) *

Opening ceremonies.

Opening presents for someone's birthday?
SubRosa
Just finished watching To End All Wars. A very powerful, moving film about the horror of war, and the struggle to maintain one's humanity through it all.
Rohirrim
Just saw The Monuments Men in the theater. Great, great buddy action comedy, and Matt Damon's French is hilarious. I really think anyone with some spare time should go see this, especially since it really stayed true to the real-life events.
Callidus Thorn
I'm watching the Winter Olympics.

Slopestyle, it's good stuff
ImperialSnob
Extreme Cheapskates.

This is amazing.
haute ecole rider
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 7 2014, 09:14 PM) *

Just watched the first episode of The Great Queen Seondeok. I can see why haute likes it so much. It is a lovely historical drama with just at touch of mysticism, and plenty of lethal courtly intrigue. It is almost worth watching simply for the eye candy of costumes. From the lush gowns to the lamellar armor, it is all wonderful to look at.

Will this inspire you to make some more cool mods? wink.gif
I adore the armor in this series, too.
King Of Beasts
I'm watching family guy episodes!!!
SubRosa
QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Feb 9 2014, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 7 2014, 09:14 PM) *

Will this inspire you to make some more cool mods? wink.gif
I adore the armor in this series, too.

If I was a modeler/texturer I would. But alas I just do not have the artistic talent. I am a coder.

I just finished the third episode. It was nice to finally meet the future Queen Seondeok/Deokman. I decided to buy the series on dvd. If for no other reason than to make it easier to read the dialogue. Netflix shows it in the original Korean, but they show the English and Chinese subtitles right on top of one another, which can make them really hard to read. But I can tell already that it is a series worth owning.

BTW, what does MiShil's title of saeju mean? I tried googling it, but could not find anything useful. Nevermind, it looks like it means: "Keeper of the Royal Seal". Whatever that means. My guess would be something like a chancellor.
Rohirrim
If I'm not mistaken, Keeper of the Royal Seal denotes something like a chancellor or marshal? I think?
SubRosa
I was thinking that the Royal Seal is probably what would be affixed to decrees and other documents. So it would probably be the person doing the day to day paperwork of running the government. Like a Prime Minister or Chancellor type position. That leaves the king free to do appropriately Royal things like go hunting, play tennis, or bang servants... wink.gif Oops, I just described King Henry VIII didn't I!
mirocu
TBBT clips on youtube again... biggrin.gif

And mr Moochi! laugh.gif
SubRosa
The Great Queen Seondeok got me on a Korean streak. I just finished watching The Good, The Bad, The Weird again. That was such a fun movie!
haute ecole rider
The Good, the Bad and the Weird is one of the craziest Korean movies ever! Stunning cinematography, over-the-top characters and wild, rollicking action -- what more could one ask for?

Definitely not a chick flick! wink.gif
Rohirrim
On the subject of foreign films with great cinematography, House of Flying Dagges has some amazing shots of snow, and sequences in a bamboo forest that fill the entire frame with green. It's based on an old Chinese poem, and to a bad love story/tragedy.
SubRosa
QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Feb 11 2014, 12:09 PM) *

The Good, the Bad and the Weird is one of the craziest Korean movies ever! Stunning cinematography, over-the-top characters and wild, rollicking action -- what more could one ask for?

Definitely not a chick flick! wink.gif

I just loved The Weird guy. His scenes were all just a little tongue-in-cheek. Like with the diving bell helmet. If he had a superpower, it would be something like having strange luck.

QUOTE(Rohirrim @ Feb 11 2014, 12:16 PM) *

On the subject of foreign films with great cinematography, House of Flying Dagges has some amazing shots of snow, and sequences in a bamboo forest that fill the entire frame with green. It's based on an old Chinese poem, and to a bad love story/tragedy.

I loved House of Flying Daggers! You are right, it is gorgeous just to look at, and has a wonderfully twisted story of plots and counter-plots.
Kiln
Battlestar Galactica. Never knew I could enjoy sci-fi this much aside from Stargate SG1.

The majority of the space themed science fiction series' are, for lack of a better descriptive, terrible.
mirocu
I liked both SG-1 and Atlantis smile.gif
haute ecole rider
QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 12 2014, 03:14 AM) *

Battlestar Galactica. Never knew I could enjoy sci-fi this much aside from Stargate SG1.

The majority of the space themed science fiction series' are, for lack of a better descriptive, terrible.

Agreed. They tend to emphasize special effects rather than characters themselves. I love series that address how the characters deal with their environment and with each other. The setting really doesn't matter - historical, sci-fi, fantasy (I have the same opinion of most fantasy series as you do about sci-fi), or contemporary.

I've been watching (and greatly charmed by) Sleepy Hollow here in the US. I didn't think I would like it so much, but the characters keep me coming back, even when the story line lacks historical veracity or even logic. I'm not overwhelmed by the presence of vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc, and tend to avoid such stories because I feel they've been done to death, but I keep coming back to this one. Go figure.
SubRosa
I think Farscape and Babylon 5 are probably my two favoritest sci-fi shows. Farscape has excellent character development, and really delivers a good story about a small group of people unwillingly thrown together on a spaceship. It's funny, it's serious, and it has a great love story. Babylon 5 OTOH, is a space opera on the grand scale, and it does not disappoint when it comes to delivering pure epicness. With prophets, war heroes, plotting politicians, an eldritch race, and an ancient evil. And also with excellent characterizations and a darn good love story.

I am now watching Captain America: First Avenger for the thousandth time. I just noticed something. One of the girls Bucky got for the double date at the World's Fair is Jenna Louise Coleman. Yes the Impossible Girl from Doctor Who herself. I guess she saved the Doctor from some terrible peril after going dancing with Bucky... wink.gif
Callidus Thorn
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 13 2014, 01:59 AM) *

I think Farscape and Babylon 5 are probably my two favoritest sci-fi shows. Farscape has excellent character development, and really delivers a good story about a small group of people unwillingly thrown together on a spaceship. It's funny, it's serious, and it has a great love story. Babylon 5 OTOH, is a space opera on the grand scale, and it does not disappoint when it comes to delivering pure epicness. With prophets, war heroes, plotting politicians, an eldritch race, and an ancient evil. And also with excellent characterizations and a darn good love story.

Have to agree with you on those two, though I wasn't so much a fan of the fifth series of Babylon 5. Love Farscape though, that was fantastic from start to finish.

Been watching some Clint Eastwood films. Hang 'Em High was great, Pale Rider was terrible.
Kiln
I watched the first two episodes of Farscape and couldn't really get into it. Might give it another try after I get through Battlestar Galactica. I'm juggling so many season shows at once, I've gotta start completing them.
SubRosa
QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Feb 13 2014, 04:21 PM) *

Have to agree with you on those two, though I wasn't so much a fan of the fifth series of Babylon 5. Love Farscape though, that was fantastic from start to finish.

I know exactly what you mean. The 5th season of B5 was never supposed to happen. The events fourth season (the Shadow War and resultant civil wars on Earth and Minbar) were supposed to span both seasons 4 and 5. But while they were doing season 4 the network went out of business, and JMS was not sure if he could find another network to pick up the show for the 5th season. So he had to cram everything into season 4 just in case. At the last minute TNT picked it up, and saved the show for another season. So then JMS had to create a whole new season of material! That is why the last season really feels out of place.
SubRosa
I finished watching the final episode of Monk. It was a fun show, carried by Tony Shalhoub's outstanding performance as the most OCD and phobic person in existence.

I learned a few things watching the series.

1 - There are no gay people in San Francisco. Though transfolk might exist, as Monk makes a very under the radar comment that the best thing about a hot waitress was that she did not have an adam's apple. So if you are a homophobe, you should definitely move to San Francisco.

2 - The police never check for fingerprints. Much less hairs, saliva, or other body secretions that can tie a suspect to a crime. Seriously, almost all of the episodes would be solved in 5 minutes if they did this, since the criminals never wear gloves, and can always be seen touching everything, including the victims, with their bare hands.
King Of Beasts
I can't remember the names of any of the movies I watched last night, but I hated them all mellow.gif
mirocu
QUOTE(King Of Beasts @ Feb 18 2014, 02:15 PM) *

I can't remember the names of any of the movies I watched last night, but I hated them all mellow.gif

rollinglaugh.gif
Callidus Thorn
A Fistful of Dollars
ImperialSnob
The Truman Show.

It was brilliant.
Callidus Thorn
Firefly

Again biggrin.gif

I must have watched this series more than a dozen times, and I've never once skipped the theme. It just wouldn't be the same without listening to it.
Kiln
QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Feb 20 2014, 02:21 PM) *

Firefly

Again biggrin.gif

I must have watched this series more than a dozen times, and I've never once skipped the theme. It just wouldn't be the same without listening to it.

Right? Excellent series that I wish had survived longer.

Currently still watching Battlestar Galactica. Still not disappointed yet. In fact, I think it gets better as it goes along.
SubRosa
I watched the third Riddick movie this afternoon. As much as I am a fan of the character, this one just fell flat. It started out ok. Riddick wounded and stranded on a hostile desert world, fighting the elements and wildlife to survive. Sort of Grizzly Adams without the warm and fuzzies. But once the bounty hunters show up it starts going downhill. (And really, why do they insist on calling them Mercs? That implies they are professional soldiers for hire, not people who hunt criminals.)

Now don't get me wrong. I think Chronicles of Riddick missed the mark by going for a grand Space Opera type story of a great evil army conquering the galaxy. Riddick was a much better character in the first movie, as a wanted man on the run from the law and whatever hostile alien creatures he ran afoul. Nice and simple and personal. So in general I think he works best in a cops and robbers/prison type of story.

But the problem is that even though we had not one, but two bounty hunter teams show up to catch Riddick, they add nothing to the movie. They are just too stereotypical to be interesting. They are just cardboard cutouts waiting to be killed by Riddick, or the aliens. Contrast that to the characters in Pitch Black, who all stood on their own as being interesting, and not entirely what they appeared to be on the surface.

I was even cool with the one of the head bounty hunters being a sexist pig. It made it obvious that he was one of the bad guys after all. But when Riddick started spouting out the same crap I just sighed. I don't recall him being a misogynistic ass in the other films. So how was this a value add? By the end I would not have cared if the aliens had killed him.
Callidus Thorn
Wow, thanks for the heads up Subrosa. I'd been meaning to get it on dvd but kept forgetting. Seems like it's best to avoid it then.

I actually rather liked Chronicles of Riddick, but I'll admit that it didn't really fit with Pitch Black.
Callidus Thorn
Just watched Thor: The Dark World.

Awesome.

Also... CLIFFHANGER!!!
mirocu
Now watching random Seinfeld episodes biggrin.gif
mirocu
And now watching rinry on youtube. Gosh darn it, I love that cute little Canadian chick and her cute voice! happy.gif
ImperialSnob
QUOTE(mirocu @ Mar 1 2014, 10:42 AM) *

And now watching rinry on youtube. Gosh darn it, I love that cute little Canadian chick and her cute voice! happy.gif

Now I don't judge people, but she has horrible baby naming skills.

*Jesse Cox shakes head*
mirocu
I don´t care aboot her baby naming skills tongue.gif See what I did there, btw? hubbahubba.gif

What if I revisited Clarissa explains it all? biggrin.gif

Vital
Top Gear!!!'
biggrin.gif
mirocu
QUOTE(Vital @ Mar 2 2014, 10:31 AM) *

Top Gear!!!'
biggrin.gif

Only the British version is valid laugh.gif
Vital
There's a not-British version???
Callidus Thorn
QUOTE(Vital @ Mar 2 2014, 10:11 AM) *

There's also an American version and an Australian version. There might even be more.
ImperialSnob
QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Mar 2 2014, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Vital @ Mar 2 2014, 10:11 AM) *

There's also an American version and an Australian version. There might even be more.

They're horrible compared to the original.

SubRosa
I am watching Detroit 9000, a blaxploitation film from the 70s. It is tons of funs. Coolest of all it was really filmed in Detroit, not some other city like Pittsburgh or Dallas pretending to be Detroit (like the original Robocop). Even as old as it is, I am recognizing landmarks left and right. There was a scene underneath the Ambassador Bridge, and a Great Lakes Ore ship goes by down the river (a lot of people forget that The D is a major port. The coroner's office was the real one, at 400 E. Lafayette (the address was even on the sign). A snitch talking to a cop says he was straight ever since he got out of Jackson (which is where the Michigan Max Security State Prison is). Another guy mentions his girlfriend being a teacher at Wayne State (one of the biggest Universitys in the city). The really weird thing was seeing the Detroit skyline without the Ren Center, which wasn't built until a few years after the movie was made.
Vital
True Detective biggrin.gif
SubRosa
Just finished watching Annika Bengtzon: Crime Reporter. It was a series of six 90 minutes movies about a reporter in Sweden. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Like Wallander, the stories take their time to unfold, as one layer after another to the mystery is unveiled, and one red herring after another is sorted through. There is almost no action at all, and what little there is isn't glorified and superheroic. It is a nice, thinking person's show, with a main character who is easy enough to believe in, and not overly perfect, but still likeable.
mirocu
Yeah we´re so deep here, ain´t we? tongue.gif
SubRosa
Not so much deep, as just not addicted to movies where there has to be a shootout every five minutes, and an explosion every ten.

Speaking of we. What does Kvällspressen mean in American? It is the name of her newspaper (apparently people still read news on pieces of paper, as has been discussed before... wink.gif ) I am certain that pressen means "press" in American. But I am a loss for Kväll...
mirocu
It means evening smile.gif
SubRosa
Oh, so Evening Press/Evening News. I was thinking it might be Free Press.

You know, if I ever emigrate to another country, Sweden is near the top of the list. Of all the foreign language films and tv shows I watch, I have the easiest time with the Scandinavian languages. Many of the words are very similar to English, thanks to influence the Vikings had on English culture. Plus Denmark and Sweden look like such nice places to live. And Norway has a wonderful brooding air, a land of gods and giants. I would leave Finland out though. Everyone commits suicide there...
mirocu
Never watched those shows really. Prefer Foyle´s War and the early Midsomer Murders smile.gif
SubRosa
I used to have Foyle's War in my Netflix queue, but it was never available. Now that you mentioned it I looked it up again, and they finally have it! So I will put that in the rotation as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.