Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 4
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Fiction > Writer sub forums > Acadian
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Acadian
Welcome to Thread 4, or the fourth season of Buffy's Book 1!

This book began with Buffy being briefly incarcerated in the Imperial Prison, and will end as she attempts to bring freedom to the city of Kvatch. It is a sprawling story that will require more than 150 episodes, spread over five threads. Appropriately, I have nicknamed Book 1, 'Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?'

Thread 1 included episodes 1-26.

Thread 2 began with a brief recap of thread one, then included episodes 27-56.

Thread 3 began with a brief recap of thread two, then included episodes 57-84.

Please allow me to offer a small summary of our previous thread that I hope might prove useful as a review, or for those who are joining us in progress:

Thread three began with Buffy's sixteen-part miniseries called 'The Leyawiin Expedition'. In Leyawiin, Buffy completed Daedric Shrine quests for Nocturnal and Sanguine. She befriended the orc, Mazoga and the two ladies became Knights Errant of the White Stallion. Buffy learned much of courtly ways and convinced Count Leyawiin to send a soldier named Sergeant Lucilius Marcus to Kvatch to help Savlian Matius. Buffy also convinced Captain Caelia Draconis, of the Leyawiin guard, to send letters to her counterparts in each of the other cities requesting that they consider following Count Leyawiin's example of providing some assistance to Kvatch.

Dagail, of the mages guild, helped Acadian gain the power of speech to augment his telepathic ability.

As Buffy prepared to leave Leyawiin, she and Acadian pondered the wisdom of their course. Trying to learn how to defeat Mehrunes Dagon's Oblivion Gate at Kvatch by consulting other Daedra Lords had yielded no answers. They agreed to seek the advice of the only Daedra Lord who had helped Buffy at all - Azura.

After visiting and obtaining the advice of Azura, Buffy made her way to the Daedra Lord Peryite. There she discovered that her paladin was actually an ancient Nordic dragonrider who perished centuries ago along with his ice dragon, Phantom. Fellow dragon Peryite was intrigued enough to offer Buffy the opportunity to learn what she sought - how to survive Oblivion and fight Daedra. And fight she did, emerging from Peryite's plane as a Daedra Slayer.

Buffy than asked the Arcane University for assistance to Kvatch. After investigating a matter at Wellspring Grove for Raminus Polus, Buffy earned a promise that her request would be taken to the Council of Mages. Raminus told her it would likely be two weeks before the Council would convene and that he would send word to Buffy's guild chapter in Bravil when he had a decision for her.

Now, for those newer readers who would like to catch up to us in one short sitting, you might find this helpful: Buffy – The Executive Summary Thread.

We now join Buffy as she arrives in Bravil and begins a massive storyline called 'The Tournament of Archers'. Although it will span less than two weeks of the bowgirl's young life, it will require this entire thread and approximately thirty five episodes for her to tell the tale.

85 The Tournament of Archers, Part 1- Home to Bravil

It was fall harvest time, and the air was cool enough that Superian's unlabored breathing created clouds of mist in the moonlight. As the warm moisture drifted back and encountered my cooler body, her breath turned to droplets. After a night of riding, I was wet and chilled.

Finally, streaks of morning sunshine began to slip between the trees and blaze cheerful beams across our path. The elusive kisses of warmth on my left side were welcome. Birds were beginning to flit and dance now, among the branches that formed a canopy above the Green Road.

We had not stopped, except for the occasional bandit or animal attack since leaving Harm's Folly. Helping Corrick had been the right thing to do, but I was aching to get home. I still had almost two weeks before I might expect word from the Council of Mages regarding help for Kvatch. I looked forward to spending the delay in Bravil.

Gradually, the leafy canopy fell behind us, yielding to thinner forest and an occasional glimpse of the Upper Niben as it began to widen. The sun had climbed, and now fully bathed us in its delicious warmth. As familiar walls surrounding the City of Mara came into view, my heart joined the birds overhead in song. I leaned forward to pat Superian's neck. "We're finally home, girl."

"Hail Bu- I mean Dame Buffy!" The booming voice came from a mail-clad soldier, wearing the surcoat of a Bravil guard. As I got closer, I recognized the smiling Imperial standing post at the bridge to the city's gate.

"And hail to you, Gladius." I reined Superian to a stop next to the man and slid to the ground. "That's the first and last time I expect to hear that 'Dame' stuff from you," I playfully chided. "Wherever did you hear such a thing anyway?"

"A Legion rider by the name of Lucilius Marcus passed through here some time ago on his way from Leyawiin to Kvatch, and spoke of you. He said they dubbed you a knight errant down there. Is it true that you talked Lord Leyawiin himself into sending help to Kvatch?"

"True enough I guess, Gladius. I really don't care for titles though. I just want to be a simple girl from Bravil." Extending both arms to emphasize my simple hunting attire I pleaded, "Seriously, do I look like a knight? Just Buffy. Please?"

"Fair enough, Buffy." The professional soldier's weathered face creased into a warm smile. "Welcome home."

"Thank you. . . my friend." Although the words were a little hard to say, they were justified.

I led Superian to the Bay Roan Stables and started uncinching her saddle.

Gladius Maro had killed my beautiful friend City Swimmer. The Argonian had stolen from the chapel then resisted arrest with her dagger. The guard had given City Swimmer every opportunity to yield, but she persisted in her attack. She was no match for the veteran swordsman who was forced to cut her down.

I remembered drawing my bow against Gladius in anger, then realizing City Swimmer's death was her own fault. I knew Slayer could not ease my grief, and yielded to the guard. Gladius had gently placed his hand upon my shoulder as I wept, the lifeless City Swimmer in my arms. He had also provided a strong and steady arm than helped keep me from breaking down at the Argonian's simple funeral.

"Well, how's my girl?"

Startled, my thoughts of Gladius evaporated and I turned my head toward the cheerful words. The stable hand, in rough clothes, produced an apple and offered it to Superian. He then joined me in removing the mare's tack and grooming her.

"I'm sure she's missed you, Antoine." I gave the ruddy-faced Breton a handful of coins. "She quite adores you and the way you spoil her."

Antoine looked at the gold, then pocketed it. "You always pay more for Superian's care than you need to, Buffy. I like your mare, and would treat her my best without your extra money."

"I know that, Antoine." I shrugged. "Much of my gold does indeed go for Superian's care. My needs are simple though, so I don't miss it"

As I opened the door to the Mage's Guild, I noticed a small figure with his back toward me speaking to Ardaline. A bow and quiver rode outside the black traveling cloak he wore, and his hood was drawn back upon his shoulders. He ran a hand through unkempt brown hair, displaying the distinctive ears of a wood elf.

Ardaline saw me as I approached and I heard her say to the Bosmer, "Just a moment please." She then grinned, and quickly moved from behind her alchemy counter to give me a fierce hug. Breaking away and stepping back, the Altmer wagged an elegant finger. "You've been gone entirely too long. The only news of you we get is an occasional 'Buffy sighting' from the odd Legion soldier or Black Horse Courier rider.

"I know, I know," I said sheepishly. Changing the subject, I added, "Who's your friend?"

"I'm sorry," said Ardaline as she looked at the elf. "This is Aradroth. He recently moved here to Bravil. Aradroth, this is Buffy." Ardaline looked down at me and continued sternly, "She lives in Bravil too, but you wouldn't know it sometimes. Buffy's a fine illusionist and about the best archer around - well, except for Daenlin of course."

"G'day Buffy, how ya going?" As the elf extended a hand, his unusual words revealed an exotic accent I couldn't place. The polite smile did not match his slate gray eyes. They were cold, bored or devoid of passion - I couldn't determine which. They were also somehow familiar.

I offered my hand also, but he reached past it to grip my forearm in a warrior clasp. His stature was short - less than mine even - but his hand was strong. Instinctively I grasped his forearm in return.

"Well met, Aradroth." Face to face now, I could see that under his cloak he wore a black leather raiment. A sheath was strapped upside down to his chest, restraining a dagger. There was an elven short blade attached to his sword belt.

As Ardaline and Aradroth concluded their business, I placed several portions of fresh ectoplasm into a bowl on the alchemy counter. The Altmer's pretty blue eyes lit up. "Thank you, Buffy. I was running low. I see you've just cleared the chapel's undercroft again." She produced some coins. "Is this enough for your efforts?"

I dropped the gold into my coin purse without really looking and smiled. "Sure it is, Ardaline. I only need enough to board Superian, buy a few arrows and the odd bottle of Tamika's."

The blond Altmer giggled. "Remember the last time we shared some Tamika's? The pillow fight and fashion show? I thought Kud-Ei was going to kill us!"

"Oh yes!" I grinned. "If Delphine had kept her mouth shut, we might have gotten the feathers cleaned up before-"

"Ahem." Aradroth cleared his throat, looking understandably bored. "Shock poisons?" The question, as he looked at the ectoplasm with a raised eyebrow, seemed more of a statement.

Without really thinking, I responded, "Well, that's one use, although the resulting poison can be a bit heavier than other options. Lighter weight poisons with more lethal and immobilizing effects can be created if-" Suddenly I noticed Ardaline staring at me, her mouth agape. I couldn't help but see a flicker of interest in Aradroth's eyes however. "-um, I mean, at least that's what they told me in alchemy class. Ardaline and I mostly use it in our hair conditioner recipe." I didn't add that the Bosmer's unruly brown mane could certainly benefit from some conditioning.

The smile from Aradroth did not extend to those gray eyes. He tipped two fingers to an eyebrow. "Ladies." Wheeling, he then pulled the cloak's hood over his head and made for the door. The lithe, effortlessly quiet exit revealed that he was no stranger to the ways of stealth.

Daenlin's face burst into a grin as I entered the Archer's Paradox. "Buffy! Welcome home." He grabbed both my hands and held them out to my sides as he inspected me. "You look wonderful, but a little underfed." He craned his head to peek into my quiver and frowned. "Getting a mite low back there don't you think?" Without giving me a chance to speak, he glanced at the wood elf in the corner of his shop inspecting arrows. "Have you met Aradroth?"

Finally, I pulled my hands free and gave the balding Bosmer a kiss on the cheek to shut him up. "Yes." I smiled. "I'm low on arrows, it's wonderful to be home and I've met Aradroth." I then added, "Daenlin, I need twenty broadhead elven arrows and five of those enchanted armor-piercing ones."

"That mix sounds like a beauty. I'll have the same," said Aradroth.

Daenlin scratched his head. "Not exactly deer hunting fare, you two. Let me check my stock on the second floor."

I watched Daenlin as he climbed the stairs, then turned to study Aradroth's unreadable face. I spoke first, "Given your arrow selection, it seems we've more in common than an appetite for poisons, yes?"

"So it seems," Aradroth replied with no emotion in his voice. He then cocked his head slightly. "Ardaline's a dear sheila but I believe I could learn more about the darker side of alchemy from you. Dinner? Perhaps Silverhome on the Water tonight at seven?"

I blinked, surprised at his matter-of-fact forwardness. Surely his interest in me couldn't be. . . no, I decided. Not with those cold, almost mean eyes. I expected his motive was curiosity. I was full of questions myself as I looked at his bow and curved elven short sword. I had no doubt he knew how to use them. Then, there was that intriguing black armor raiment and cloak. "I'm very flattered, Aradroth, but must decline. I'll be cooking dinner for Daenlin tonight like I always do upon returning to Bravil. I'm sure we can get together soon at my guildhall though."

Aradroth gave me a polite smile that did not reach his eyes. "I'll hold you to it. I hope that -"

"Well, you're both in luck in seems," interrupted Daenlin as he came down the stairs, his arms full of arrows. "Now, I've inspected each one of these." He began doling them out. "Have you heard? The archery tournament is to be held in Bravil this year, and within the week. I presume both of you will enter?"

I responded with a giggle and a curtsy. "Daenlin's Apprentice shoots where and when her master tells her to." I then gave him a meaningful look and added, "Oh, don't forget about dinner at my house tonight."

"We're not talking about living targets here, so what's the point, mate?" quipped Aradroth dryly.

Daenlin looked at the younger Bosmer and frowned. "Tsk tsk." Turning to me he winked. "Buffy, I see we'll have to work on our friend here. Oh, and how could I forget about our dinner date tonight?"

* From Buffy's scrapbook:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2
Ceidwad
Intriguing. Who is this cold individual and what role will he end up playing in Buffy's story? I look forward to finding out.

I don't know why though, but it just doesn't seem right to have a Bosmer say 'mate'.
mALX
THE TOURNEY !!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!!!! And Buffy is home at last !!!

GAAAAH!!!! Aradroth!!!!!! ...BWAAAA! Snork, snork... the dark Wolf is very missed !!!!!

This is one of my all time FAVORITE Buffy episodes !!!! WOO HOO !!!!
SubRosa
@Ceidwad: Aradroth is the character of another writer here at Chorrol, and is making a cameo here in the BF. You can find his home here. The Aussie slang is how he is portrayed in the AF, and doubtlessly related to the author being an Aussie as well.

Yay! The Torment of Archers! I have been looking forward to this since BF 1.0.

The elusive kisses of warmth on my left side were welcome.
This is a clever way of telling us that Buffy is riding south. Once again, I loved the description of Buffy's early morning ride.

And I see not only a Buffy Sighting this episode, but an Aradroth one as well. Buffy better keep an eye on that Bosmer, he looks like trouble...

we might have gotten the feathers cleaned up before-
laugh.gif
TheOtherRick
WTG on starting your fourth thread Acadian! FOURTH THREAD?....I'm never gonna get caught up! tongue.gif
mALX
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 10 2011, 12:09 PM) *

@Ceidwad: Aradroth is the character of another writer here at Chorrol, and is making a cameo here in the BF. You can find his home here. The Aussie slang is how he is portrayed in the AF, and doubtlessly related to the author being an Aussie as well.

Yay! The Torment of Archers! I have been looking forward to this since BF 1.0.

The elusive kisses of warmth on my left side were welcome.
This is a clever way of telling us that Buffy is riding south. Once again, I loved the description of Buffy's early morning ride.

And I see not only a Buffy Sighting this episode, but an Aradroth one as well. Buffy better keep an eye on that Bosmer, he looks like trouble...

we might have gotten the feathers cleaned up before-
laugh.gif

GAAAAH! What's Teresa doing up in the IC? She better hurry back to Bravil! Will she bring Chance with her to flirt with Buffy and distract her from winning the Tourney? ROFL !!!
Rihanae
Again, incredible read! Enjoyed it alot smile.gif
You're very inspirational, hopefully Lissa's stories will become this popular. Cant wait for the next chapter smile.gif
haute ecole rider
Tourney time! And I've got visions of Errol and Olivia and Basil and Claude dancing in my head. Oh, and let's not forget Una and Herbert (Bess and Much) - that couple was so adorable!

It's good to see the Black Wolf again. He is sorely missed. Hopefully Aradroth's appearance means we will see more of our elusive friend again.
Zalphon
Aradroth doesn't seem like a friendly, Buffy...Kill eet!
King Coin
QUOTE(Zalphon @ Mar 10 2011, 06:39 PM) *

Aradroth doesn't seem like a friendly, Buffy...Kill eet!

lol my thoughts as well.
Thomas Kaira
Onwards and upwards! A great start to our fourth thread.

An intriguing introduction to our new friend. I actually kinda like him, so don't kill him, Buffy!

Also remember if you are ever in need of recipes, you know where to turn. The romantic dinner for two is my specialty, you know. well, maybe not quite that much on the romantic side, but you get the picture. wink.gif

I look forward to seeing how you do in the archery tournament, as well.
Linara
Finally caught up with the third thread, and now the fourth one...I have to agree, Aradroth is a rather interesting character. And I look forward to reading about the archery tournament.
Grits
Congratulations on opening a new volume in your journal. smile.gif How fascinating to contrast Buffy with Aradroth of the cold grey eyes! Shock poison or hair conditioner, what to do with that ectoplasm. If Aradroth has moved to Bravil, I hope we’ll see him again. This is my first time reading the Tournament of Archers, so everything will be a surprise. Buffy, if you do think of a tactful way to mention that someone’s hair would benefit from some conditioning, please share it! laugh.gif
D.Foxy
I was full of questions myself as I looked at his bow and curved elven short sword. I had no doubt he knew how to use them.

Curved....as in Clintonesque????

blink.gif

ohmy.gif

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Heheheh ole friend hooray on your new thread! Now I have baptized it with Dherty Innu Endo, it shall not be the same again!!!

rollinglaugh.gif
mALX
QUOTE(D.Foxy @ Mar 12 2011, 08:03 PM) *

I was full of questions myself as I looked at his bow and curved elven short sword. I had no doubt he knew how to use them.

Curved....as in Clintonesque???? blink.gif

* snip *

rollinglaugh.gif

That would only work if she held it so the curve went sideways ... whistling.gif
Acadian
In Episode 85, Buffy returned home to Bravil. She is hoping for a couple of quiet weeks there while waiting for the Council of Mages to meet and consider her request for aid to Kvatch.

Ceidwad- Thank you! Winter Wolf is the talented creator of Aradroth. Wolf hails from a land down under, as does Mrs Acadian, so Wolf and I yielded to the irresistible challenge of incorporating a couple touches of home to the mysterious elf in black. He will be a permanent resident in Buffy's Bravil. Well, that is as long as his dark past doesn't catch up to him. cool.gif

mALX- Buffy is sooo glad to be home! I hope the tournament will be a fun backdrop as it weaves in and out of Buffy's visit home. Thank you!

SubRosa- As you well know, the tournament storyline is something very different for us. I normally eschew weaving together subplots, but Buffy will find herself immersed in several here. Your warm assistance and support with both 1.0 and 2.0 have been invaluable. Thank you!

Rick- Thanks! I post an 'executive summary' at the beginning of each new thread, summarizing the contents of the previous thread. Feel free to take a peek at those, then just jump right in with us. If you have a touch more time, you might also skim the 'in our previous episode' comments I make to open each post. Buffy might have some sort of a rudimentary plot buried somewhere around here - perhaps hidden at the bottom of her disorganized pack - but really it's more like a long running TV show. C'mon in!

Rihanae- I'm humbled by both your praise and the realization that our efforts have had an effect in helping to inspire the wonderful story of Lissa. happy.gif

Rider- Thank you! Can you believe we made it all the way back to the Tourney for 2.0? My goodness, we've all been doing this for a delightfully long time now! Although Aradroth is absent from the next episode, he factors strongly in the two that follow. He then goes on to play a significant role in the tournament itself.

Zalphon- Aradroth clearly makes Buffy very nervous and she promises to be on her guard!

King Coin- Yup, Aradroth makes her spider senses go off, but it is too early to tell.

Thomas Kaira- Thanks! I agree, Aradroth has made no threat against Buffy, so she is likely to 'trust but verify'. How fortuitous that dinner for two is your specialty! Buffy tends to keep all her alchemy ingredients together, so her concern as she cooks dinner for herself and Daenlin in the next episode is to make sure that that she doesn't accidently do something like add nightshade instead of sage. tongue.gif Oh, and those differing types of mushrooms are always a challenge.

Linara- Thank you! I'm so glad you find Aradroth an interesting addition to Bravil, and hope you enjoy the tournament. Buffy's journey is more important than her destination, and that is particularly true in this storyline. My advice is to curl up with a warm mug of mulled cider and linger as Buffy tells you the lengthy tale of her visit to Bravil.

Grits- Thank you for that enthusiastic reception to The Tournament of Archers! I so hope you will like it. Oh my goodness, how to tactfully tell someone their hair needs a little help; Buffy will tackle that very challenge (albeit not with Aradroth) in Part 15, 'Lions, Horses and Blondes'. Woohoo!

Foxy- So wonderful of you to drop in, old friend. I shall consider the new thread now fully and properly baptized!

86 The Tournament of Archers, Part 2- A Quiet Knight at Home

Kneeling in front of my fireplace, I smiled as I heard a key slip the tumblers in the lock protecting my home. A moment later, Daenlin closed the door behind him. "You're early, Master," I said as I turned the roasting vegetables.

"I was hungry," replied Daenlin. After setting a bottle of Tamika's on my table, he then leaned over me and planted a quick kiss on the top of my head. His hand then appeared in front of my face bearing a small bouquet of wild flowers. "What's for dinner?"

"Thanks for the flowers! You know where my vase and water pitcher are. Oh, I'm roasting things tonight. A farmer I met up at Harm's Folly gave me some fresh vegetables, and I picked up a nice cut of boar over at Silverhome on the Water." Rising to my feet, I blew at an errant lock of blond hair then brought some bread and cheese from my cupboard to the table. Daenlin arranged flowers and opened the wine. "Gilgondorin assured me the boar meat came from one of your kills. That magical chest enchanted with frost that he bought for the inn since my last visit is wonderful."

Soon, dinner was ready. Daenlin held my chair for me, as he always did, then joined me across the small table and we began to enjoy our meal together.

"So, Buffy, is it true what Gladius told me? You're now some kind of knight?"

"Yes," I replied as I sliced a piece of cheese and put it on Daenlin's plate. "I helped a new friend I met in Leyawiin who wanted to become a knight, and we both ended up getting dubbed knights errant by Count Leyawiin."

"This is delicious," remarked Daenlin, "and makes a nice change from venison stew. So are you a noble now? What do you have to do as a knight?"

"Thank you. I thought roasting everything would be something you might welcome. And yes, by title I'm a very minor noble but not really enough to impress anybody. Not that I would ever want to set foot in Castle Bravil, but being a member of the Court of Leyawiin can open a few doors. Mostly, my order keeps down the bandits that plague Blackwood. My fellow knight can easily handle that though, so Count Leyawiin has given me permission to pursue my own quest."

"A quest?" Daenlin paused, the piece of boar on his fork halfway between plate and mouth. "Nothing dangerous I hope?"

"Of course not," I lied. "I'm trying to help those brave soldiers defending Kvatch from the Oblivion Gate. Mostly researching how to close it and trying to sweet talk nobles and important people into providing some aid. That's where having the title of knight seems to help some. Probably the most dangerous part is all the travel, but having the fastest horse in Cyrodiil helps there."

Daenlin set his fork down. "I've known you since you were born. You're not one to care a wooden septim about affairs of the Empire. You only do things like this for people you care deeply about. Who is it?"

"You know me too well." I stared into my goblet as I swirled it, then raised my eyes to meet Daenlin's. "There's a soldier at Kvatch that I can't stop thinking about. His name is Savlian. I want to help him."

"Do you love this man?"

"I-I don't know. He's too devoted to his city to pay much attention to me, I'm sure. When I'm near him though, he makes me feel happy and scared and excited all at the same time. I find myself thinking about him a lot and wanting to be where he is. I figure there can be no chance for us though as long as that burning gate besieges his city."

The old Bosmer smiled. "Well I'm glad you don't plan on venturing into that gate. I remember quite some time ago the fright you gave me when I learned you had disregarded Gaius Prentus out on the mysterious island in Niben Bay and charged into that strange door."

I glanced at Slayer, resting patiently and unstrung on the rack that Daenlin had made for it. "That's where I found the lightweight powerful bow that has saved my life many times."

"I know." He placed a callused hand over mine. "A butterfly will die if one holds on too tightly, but knowing that doesn't ease letting her fly away. As far as those feelings tugging at your heart, take it from one who knows you well; any man would be lucky to bask in your glow."

"Thank you, Daenlin. You always say the right thing." After I added another log to the fire and brought a bowl of fresh strawberries to the table, we swung our chairs around so they were side by side in front of the fire.

"What does your guild think of you being a knight?" Daenlin asked.

"Well," I replied, "it would be a problem if I had a paid position like head of a chapter or an instructor at the University. If I was a guild service provider it would conflict as well."

"Service provider?" asked the elf as he kicked off his buckskin moccasins, stretched both legs and crossed his feet in front of the fire.

"Oh sure. Like here in Bravil for example. Ardaline handles the alchemical storefront while Ita recharges weapons." I giggled and added, "Delphine teaches brave souls how to blow stuff up. They each bring income to the guild and are compensated for it. Kud-Ei not only gets paid as the chapter magister, but also provides illusion training."

"But you don't do any of those things, Buffy."

"Correct, just like Carandial and Henantier. Rather than work at a chapter or the University and be paid for it, we actually pay dues to the guild instead. That way, we can pursue our own interests. Some of the biggest advances in magic have come from the brilliant and independent research of our mages who did not spend all their time hanging around the guildhalls. Oh, and we have to follow the tenets of the guild, of course."

After a sip of wine, I continued, "The Council of Mages decided long ago that keeping those of us trained in magic as members of the guild is in everyone's best interest. Mages who leave or are forced from the guild often cause us problems. For example, when I was seeking admission to the University, I got to help some battlemages subdue a non-guild mage who was using her knowledge of frost magic to rob merchants along the road to Anvil."

Daenlin nodded. "Didn't I hear about some rogue mage that was killed up in Chorrol some time ago?"

I sputtered some of my wine before I could lean over and grab a napkin from the table.

"Are you all right?" asked Daenlin as he started thumping a hand against my back.

"Sure I am," I replied, "if you'll stop hitting me. A sip of wine just started to go down the wrong way, that's all. Yes, that mage in Chorrol was named Earana. She had been kicked out of the guild and was using her magic to threaten people." I shrugged. "I guess she finally threatened someone who took exception."

"I hear Kvatch is destroyed," said Daenlin sadly. "Will you, and perhaps this soldier of yours, go back to the Court of Leyawiin after your quest is done?"

I stared into the fire. I had no idea if it was possible to escape from inside an Oblivion Gate as it closed; however, that was not a thought that needed to be shared with the dear elf who cared and worried about me so much. "I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Perhaps by then I'll no longer need to be a knight. Or perhaps. . . Daenlin, have you ever heard of a Knight Arcana?"

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow and shook his head. "Is that like a battlemage?"

It was my turn to shake my head. "No, terms like battlemage are useful to describe a mage's abilities. My advisor at the University is a battlemage for example. Legion soldiers who attend the Arcane University, or mages who join the Legion are generally battlemages and assigned to the University. Kud-Ei is a spellsword, while I am a mystic archer."

"I thought Kud-Ei was an illusionist," remarked Daenlin as he scratched his balding head, clearly confused.

I smiled. "That's the magic school in which she is most proficient. Illusion is my primary specialty as well."

"No wonder all you mages are so smart, Buffy. You're making my head hurt. So what is this Knight Arcana you mentioned?"

"Arch Mages wield almost as much authority as county lords, in some ways more. Knights Arcana are knights, like others, but dubbed by the Arch Mage and sworn loyal to the guild of mages. There are very few of them and I'm sure it would take much more than killing a few bandits to earn the title. If I'm successful in helping Savlian, my efforts could mean freedom for Kvatch as well. I suppose the Council of Mages might then consider such a thing since I'm already a knight. After all, I would rather serve my guild and range across Tamriel than be bound to Leyawiin." Placing the bowl of strawberries on my lap, I plucked one out for Daenlin. "Open your mouth. Did I tell you what a harpy the Countess down there in Leyawiin is?"
SubRosa
"Nothing dangerous I hope?"
"Of course not," I lied.

Lying to parental figures about the danger they are in seems to be a habit shared by all Bosmer Bowgirls! biggrin.gif

Well I'm glad you don't plan on venturing into that gate.
Good thing she is not! wink.gif

Some excellent pieces of world-building concerning the Mages Guild, putting much more sense to what you see in the game (where people join the guild to get free room and board, and the right to steal everything within, and never have to do anything for the guild in return). The non-working members paying dues makes perfect sense. Likewise the Knight Arcana is a very interesting idea (with a cool name to boot!). It certainly sounds more up Buffy's alley then a knight of a stallion.

"I guess she finally threatened someone who took exception."
My bet is that she annoyed Honditar so much by talking to him all the time, that he killed her just to shut her up! wink.gif
haute ecole rider
A Knight Arcana, huh? I can see Buffy doing that much more easily than I can see her as a Knight of the Black Mare hunting Black Bow Bandits! And it makes more sense for her to have the ability to wander Cyrodiil to lend aid wherever needed (and probably will sit better with the old paladin as well).

I enjoyed the roasted boar right along with Daenlin. It's so wonderful to see the old guy and to eavesdrop on their conversation. I've always liked him, but I love him even more now after seeing him in the BF.
mALX

I can't say it any better than SubRosa did - she voiced my exact thoughts:

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 13 2011, 09:17 AM) *

Some excellent pieces of world-building concerning the Mages Guild, putting much more sense to what you see in the game (where people join the guild to get free room and board, and the right to steal everything within, and never have to do anything for the guild in return). The non-working members paying dues makes perfect sense. Likewise the Knight Arcana is a very interesting idea (with a cool name to boot!).

Buffy's true family, the people of Bravil - her coming home chapters are always my favorites !!!

AWESOME WRITE !!!! WOO HOO !!!!

Zalphon
Buffy and Knights...pfft. You used to be a rebel! A non-conformist! Now you're a knight is shiny, white armor!
TheOtherRick
As it is with Maxical, so it is with Buffy. I am a very late joiner to these wonderful stories. While all of you are enjoying Chapter 86, I am still way back at Chapter 13. blink.gif So I hope you all won't mind reminiscing when I post my comments...

Ch. 11 - Cave archery 101. I would say that Buffy passes with flying colors!
"Thank you, Buffy! Thank you so much! But you don't look like a mage."

Again, the 'don't look like a mage' stuff! I shouldered the bow, lifted my chin and planted both hands on my hips. "Would you like to wait for someone who looks like a mage?"

Absolutely priceless! So easy to picture Buffy here. And Erthor's non-stop babbling during the walk out was equally amusing.

Ch. 12 - Buffy veers from the MQ in this very poignant discovery of the fate of Kvatch and introduction to Savlian Matius. Great write!

Ch. 13 - I agree whole-heartedly with the comments of the time. The way you described Anvil was wonderful. I especially agree with h.e.rider and Olen about going into this unarmed. Looking forward to the outcome.

@ Acadian -
Rick- Thanks! I post an 'executive summary' at the beginning of each new thread, summarizing the contents of the previous thread. Feel free to take a peek at those, then just jump right in with us. If you have a touch more time, you might also skim the 'in our previous episode' comments I make to open each post. Buffy might have some sort of a rudimentary plot buried somewhere around here - perhaps hidden at the bottom of her disorganized pack - but really it's more like a long running TV show. C'mon in!

I actually considered doing what you suggest, but I would miss so much! It would be like watching the last season of 'Lost' after reading a synopsis of the previous seasons. So as long as it is okay, I would rather catch up in the way that I am, and post "history review" comments. Real life restricts my reading time, but I promise to catch up with you all ASAP. biggrin.gif
King Coin
I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already.

As usual I very much enjoyed this update. I hope Daenlin didn't arrive too early at Buffy's home because Aravi's bringing in some stuff to sell!
Destri Melarg
I had in mind this long, eloquent post in which I made profound and illuminated points about all that I have spent this weekend reading (all from Chapter 62, pg.3 of the last thread, thankyouverymuch). I planned to beguile you with insightful comments on the nature of friendship, love, loyalty, and trust. But all I can come up with is Acadian TALKS now??!!! blink.gif And the Tournament has begun without me??!! I have been away too long! As wonderfully enjoyable as ever, my friend.
Grits
What a lovely knight for a quiet dinner!

"A quest?" Daenlin paused, the piece of boar on his fork halfway between plate and mouth. "Nothing dangerous I hope?"

What? Does he think she uses her bow Slayer to pick flowers?! laugh.gif

"Do you love this man?"

Daenlin really gets to the point!! I like him. smile.gif

Daenlin nodded. "Didn't I hear about some rogue mage that was killed up in Chorrol some time ago?"

Maybe Buffy heard about that when she was in Chorrol on her, uh, goldenrod picking expedition. whistling.gif

I had no idea if it was possible to escape from inside an Oblivion Gate as it closed; however, that was not a thought that needed to be shared with the dear elf who cared and worried about me so much.

The fact that Buffy is even considering going in there shows just how deeply she cares. And not for the Empire.
Thomas Kaira
Ahh, boar. Wild pork. I prefer to roast mine on a clove of garlic with rosemary and thyme, along with a drizzling of virgin olive oil. 400*F for about 15 to 20 minutes, and you get a succulent, moist chop worth every bite. Great with cranberries, too! wink.gif

I sputtered some of my wine before I could lean over and grab a napkin from the table.

"Are you all right?" asked Daenlin as he started thumping a hand against my back.
Oh boy... this might not turn out well if Daenlin finds out exactly how she died.

Nice, relaxed chapter here that lets us take stock of the most recent musings of our blond bravilian butterfly, as well as reinforces her motivation for her deeds at Kvatch. Buffy would be most unhappy if Savlian were to die, I'm quite sure.
Ceidwad
'Knights Arcana'? A thoughtful concept. It's a pity there was no such private Arch-Mage's bodyguard in the actual game. I must admit, it was rather disappointing to have risen all the way to the top of the Mages' Guild, only to discover I had only one Apprentice at my disposal.
Acadian
In our last episode, Buffy prepared and shared a quiet meal with Daenlin. Topics at dinner between the two elves included Savlian, butterflies, knights and mages.

SubRosa- Oh my. I hope Simiplicia and Daenlin never get together to compare notes on their respective twig-children! laugh.gif It was previous conversations between you and I that inspired Daenlin to ask if there was a conflict between being a knight and being in the guild of mages. A very reasonable question that caused us to think it through. Thank you.

Rider- I agree with you about the Knight Arcana! I'm so glad you enjoy the BF Daenlin. Ya know how there are just some NPCs that are special? I figure Varel Morvayn is one of those 'precious' characters in JF. Your presentation of him will always flavor my view of him - and in a wonderful way. Thank you.

mALX- Thank you so much for those kind words. Yup, there are plenty of people in Bravil that are like family to Buffy.

Zalphon- Our blond micro-knight enjoys a couple of benefits from being a Dame. One is improved access to nobles. She never would have been able to arrange for an able sergeant/second in command for Savlian without her title. Secondly is her precious friend Sir Mazoga. Thanks!

Rick- Thank you for your kind words as you bravely continue catching up with us! After the tourney, I promise to slow our pace some. With so many stories posting so quickly, I think that will be a prudent improvement.

King Coin- Thank you! One of the wonderful things about Bravil is the midnight shopping! Just see Nordinor in the alley next to Nilawen's. That should help lighten Aravi's pack and fill her coin purse. Then she can peruse Daenlin's wares in the morning!

Destri- Magnificently dedicated job catching up on so many stories. Buffy has several godfathers and you, my friend, are certainly among them! Yes, Acadian talks! Both his and Superian's roles are expanded in 2.0 as you can see, and the telepathy limitation was a touch too limiting. We thought Dagail was the perfect way to help expand the voice in Buffy's head.

Grits- Now you see why we identified so strongly and were so impressed that Jerric was willing to close that gate even when he figured he might not survive. Buffy doesn't have the stones that Jerric has of course, but you sure nailed her motivation about that gate! Thank you for highlighting that.

Thomas Kaira- Yum! You're making me hungry talking about roast pork! Thank you for the kind words. We really do enjoy it when Buffy sits down for a one on one conversation with a friend. At least she managed to keep her nightshade and wisp stalks out of the roast. tongue.gif

Ceidwad- Yes! A Knight Arcana ranging across Tamriel in the service of her guild would certainly be a fine aspiration for Buffy. Perhaps that will give ghastley an idea for a mod! I agree that the Arch Mage job does seem like a let down to those who achieve it. Thanks!

87 The Tournament of Archers, Part 3- Having a Spot of Trouble?

I heard the whisper of a spell being cast, and opened my eyes to find myself engulfed in a haze of emerald magic. Panicking, I tried to jump from my bed but neither arms nor legs would respond. A looming face framed by a black hood filled my vision. The cold, gray and emotionless eyes of Lucien Lachance looked down at me.

Waking with a cry, I realized it was a dream and that I wasn't paralyzed. In fact, my hands were shaking as I rose from my bed. Chilled to the bone, I donned a doeskin fur robe and stirred the embers in my fireplace to life with a fresh log. Sitting close to the fire, I tried to absorb its heat as I briskly rubbed my shoulders.

"Why did I just dream about the Dark Brotherhood?" I said as much for my own benefit as for Acadian's. "My killing is not for hire. That dream was likely just a load of imp chips caused by allowing Daenlin to pour me a third goblet of Tamika's last night."

No, that wasn't quite true.

I was pretty sure what had prompted the dream. Since meeting the dangerous-looking elf, Aradroth, I had been trying to place what it was about him that seemed familiar. Now I knew. His gray eyes held the same hard coldness as those of Lucien Lachance.

It was almost dawn, so I filled my kettle and started heating water for tea. "Acadian, did you feel my dream?"

"Of course I did," he replied. "You made the right choice back at the Inn of Ill Omen."

I nodded. "You're right. I almost killed Rufio. Indeed, had I known the poor girl who was his victim, I likely would have been swept into the Dark Brotherhood. I'm guessing Aradroth chose differently than I." I picked up my looking glass and peered into it, wondering if my eyes would have grown cold like those of Lucien and Aradroth had my choice been different. I then reached for a brush and began pulling it through my hair. "I know Lucien talked about a loving family of dark brothers and sisters, but I have to believe that kind of life must be lonely." Filling my tea cup, I added, "The way Aradroth presents himself, I bet he doesn't have very many friends. I turned down his dinner invitation because he frightens me, but I must try to overcome that and make him feel welcome in Bravil."

"Caution might be in order here," warned the paladin.

"I know," I heaved a sigh and tugged on a set of buckskin greaves, "but remember when I first saw Mazoga? Sometimes you just have to reach out, even if you're scared."

While I pulled on my boots, I could feel Acadian pondering my words. Finally, he replied, "And sometimes you are wiser than I."

"Stop it, you'll make me cry." I stood, dropped my robe and slipped on a brown blouse. After finishing the warm tea, I grabbed my bow and quiver, then stepped outside.

The sun was up now and I was surprised by the bustling level of activity that was not present the day prior. Strangers were everywhere. I was intercepted on my way to the Mages Guild, right after crossing the foot bridge connecting the two halves of the city.

"Gentle lady! Just a few septims and one of these banners can be yours." The wandering vendor held up a small green flag depicting a crossed bow and quiver. "See how the staff of the banner is an arrow?" The vendor flashed a broken-toothed grin. "Wave this for your favorite bowman at the tournament. I only have a few left."

"Oh, no thank you." I returned his smile then continued toward my guild, cheerfully trailing words behind me, "I wouldn't want to take one of your last banners."

The guildhall was a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle. It seemed not many mages were interested in traveling to Bravil to see archers shoot.

I found Kud-Ei and Ardaline seated at the dining table sharing tea and a plate of freshly sliced fruit that had been lightly sprinkled with ground cinnamon.

"Welcome home, Buffy." Kud-Ei's orange eyes sparkled over her tea cup.

I wrapped one arm around the Argonian's neck and playfully nudged Ardaline's shoulder with the other hand before grabbing a strawberry. "My, the town is certainly busy getting ready for the tourney."

"Yes," said Kud-Ei. "I hear the inns are almost full. Probably every bed in Bravil will be taken before long. I would not be surprised if the inns of Faregyl, Ill Omen and even Pell's Gate fill up with visitors. Hmph, shooting sticks at bunches of straw." She looked at the bow on my back and added, "No offense to you of course, dear." I had learned to read the smiles of Argonians by watching their eyes. Kud-Ei's smile clouded now as she said, "You look distracted, child. What is it?"

Removing Slayer and my quiver, I plopped into the seat next to Kud-Ei, then accepted a cup of tea from Ardaline. "What do you ladies know of this elf, Aradroth?"

Kud-Ei's eyes opened wide. "Buffy, do not tell me you are smitten by him!"

My eyes flew open as wide as Kud-Ei's. "By Mara, no!"

Ardaline giggled. "But he's just your size, Buffy!"

"He's not at all attractive you know," I huffed, "and he certainly isn't very nice. In fact he's kind of frightening. Do you know anything about him? Is he skilled with magic?"

"He has caused no trouble since his arrival in Bravil." Kud-Ei set down her cup and shook her head. "He paid for instruction in a couple basic illusion spells but, well, let us just say he is a Bosmer who lacks the aptitude for magic you inherited from your Breton father."

Ardaline chimed in, "I gather from Nilawen, that Aradroth spends more time skulking around dangerous holes in the ground surrounding the Niben than practicing magic. Oh, and he's often drinking ale with Nordinor when I visit The Fair Deal."

"Thank you both," I said as I stood. "It's so good to be home! I'm going to spend the next couple hours soaking in the guild's tub and just pampering myself from head to toe."

Exiting the guild by late morning, I made my way among the vendors, visitors, hopeful contestants and even the odd noble. All of this, of course, passing under the scrutiny of pickpockets and the quiet practitioners of Bravil's black market undercurrent.

Stopping by the stables, I barely recognized the approach to my city. Brightly colored banners draped our 'Welcome to Bravil' sign. Bare-chested men were busily setting up target frames and building large seating structures as they sweated under a warm sun. On the ground laid rolled up tarps that would soon shade both the judges table and the seating area for nobles.

I looked forward to my archery master, Daenlin, winning the tourney again. My little town, which was part of the very forest and river itself, could then return to its peaceful and overlooked beauty.

While saddling Superian, I spoke with Antoine. "Do you expect a large influx of horses for the tournament?"

"Not as many as you might think, Buffy." The Breton stable hand ably assisted getting Superian ready to ride. "It takes money for horses, and most of them wealthy noble types don't care so much for archery. Nope, they like jousting and the heavy stuff. You know, armored swordfighters and even lancers." He smiled reassuringly. "Don't you worry none. I'll make sure your mare's care don't suffer."

Superian was high stepping and bouncing her head as I led her from the stables. She settled only slightly once I was in the saddle. There were a fair number of people coming into Bravil from the north and we kept to one side of the Green Road. The mare's snorting and prancing encouraged travelers to seek the other side of the road. As we continued, we met fewer people until we were almost alone.

"I know you're full of energy, girl. As soon as we pass this one traveler ahead, I'll slip on my detect life rings and you can run."

The lone Khajiit cheerfully returned my smile as he approached. Suddenly, and with the cat-like quickness his race is known for, he crossed the road, grabbed Superian's reins and pressed the tip of a dagger just below my left breast. "Your gold or your life."

I could feel Superian's fear and uncertainty as it mirrored my own. If she sidestepped into the Khajiit to knock him down or tried to charge forward, the dagger would find its way between my ribs. Sensing my will, she stood motionless. If I could somehow get to the ground, I could cast a spell to immobilize this robber and bring Slayer to bear. "I do have some gold, and I will surrender it to you for safe passage. Please, I implore you not to hurt my mare or I."

The Khajiit grinned, revealing a mouthful of sharp teeth that matched the yellow color of his threatening eyes. "A wise choice."

"My coin purse is buried deeply in my pack." I looked down at the dagger still pressed against me. "Will you permit me to dismount that I may retrieve it?"

The Khajiit appeared to ponder my request for a moment. "This one will allow it, but only if you make no sudden moves and stay on this side of the hors-"

Suddenly, his head was snapped back and sideways as if something had grabbed the back of his mane. A dagger, wielded by a black-gloved hand, flashed from behind the Khajiit and buried the full length of its blade under the highwayman's chin. The yellow feline eyes remained open, staring at the sky and frozen in death.

As the cat sank to the ground, standing behind him was a small elf dressed in black.

Gray eyes looked up at me. "G'day, Buffy. Having a spot of trouble?"

Superian was ready to bolt, but I did not ask it of her. Instead, I sat stunned in the saddle and stared at my rescuer.

Given the speed with which Aradroth had struck, and my own lack of quick response, the Bosmer would have had plenty of time to take Superian's reins and replace the highwayman's dagger with his own against my ribs. But he didn't; rather, he unhurriedly pulled free the blade that had delivered instant death by piercing the Khajiit's brain and wiped it clean. He then slid his dagger into the inverted sheath strapped to the chest of his black raiment and deftly secured it with a thumb strap.

I could see feathered tails and the ear of a bow protruding above his shoulders which were draped in the same traveling cloak he wore when I met him the day prior. The beautiful hilt of an elven short sword rose from a scabbard riding at his right hip. He lifted a hand and swept back the black hood, revealing his brown tousled mop of unkempt hair and Bosmeri ears.

Slowly recovering from my shock over the whole episode, I warily slid to the ground where at least I could cast spells. Superian lowered her long nose to the dead Khajiit, snorted and took a step away. Finally, I found my voice, "Do you make a habit of rescuing damsels in distress?"

"Surely I don't. Had you gotten your feet to the ground, I have no doubt it would have been your magic that claimed this feral cat's mind instead of my blade. I simply needed the practice and hope to earn your favor."

"Well, Superian and I thank you. I'm not wealthy, but you are welcome to the gold that I carry. I hope it will be sufficient for your brave efforts?"
Count Lauriel
Fantastic! Simply fantastic as always.

I must confess however, that I need to catch up with Buffy's story, and many others on here due to my prolonged absence. Rest assured that I'll be reading, even if I'm 18967182745 chapters behind everyone else ;P
haute ecole rider
And Aradroth appears again!

What a beautiful start to the day! I loved the description of the festive air that so clashes with my recollections of the ramshackle town on the Niben. The contrast between that and the memories of Buffy's encounter with Lachance. To be honest, after I played through the DB questline a couple of times, I decided that having the fastest and only immortal horse in all of Cyrodiil wasn't worth the murders I had to accomplish to get there. Guess I'm too principled. So I avoid getting that nighttime visit from everyone's favorite Listener (or is it Speaker?) by reloading an earlier save every time I see that message Your killing has been noted by forces unknown . . .

Such a contrast between Aradroth's dark nature and Buffy's sunny one. Yet she isn't the dim-witted blonde that she seems to be. Yes, she's aware of his deadly propensities, but at the same time she won't ostracize him for his choices either. But for the grace of Mara go I - seems to be her thinking, and I for one approve of it!

Oh, and @ Count Lauriel: you're not alone! Don't worry, these stories will hang around until you're caught up! We all know how RL can be a bear sometimes.
mALX
Aradroth to the rescue !!! I love the changes you've made to this chapter !!! Great dream sequence, did Acadian plant that so she would realize the danger she stood in with her new acquaintence? Awesome Write!
SubRosa
That dream was likely just a load of imp chips
Ahh, the chips rear their ugly, erm, rears again!

Sometimes you just have to reach out, even if you're scared.
Is this perhaps a new addition to the Buffy Doctrine™?

I loved Buffy's small encounter with the huckster in the street! I wonder if they have giant foam hands and cheese heads? biggrin.gif

the quiet practitioners of Bravil's black market undercurrent.
Does this portend a future Ungarion sighting perhaps?

That last Khajiit was a very clever bandit, hiding in plain sight as he did. His surprise was as great as my own when he was stabbed through the neck and into the brain! That was expertly done (both by yourself and Aradroth...).

So now Buffy finds herself indebted to our unkempt Bosmer. Perhaps now she will take him up on that offer for dinner?
Thomas Kaira
That was a nice twist. You know how I like a good plot twist. biggrin.gif

See, didn't I tell you he wasn't all that bad? Even if he is a bit self-righteous, that was still noble of him. tongue.gif
King Coin
The Dark Brotherhood again. I'm so glad that Buffy didn't join them. Despite rescuing our favorite bowgirl from a clever khajiit, I still don't like Aradroth. Keep your eye on him, he's trying to get closer.
Grits
My little town, which was part of the very forest and river itself, could then return to its peaceful and overlooked beauty.

I have never thought of Bravil this way. Another eye-opening moment, courtesy of Buffy. smile.gif

Gray eyes looked up at me. "G'day, Buffy. Having a spot of trouble?"

*shiver* It is a testament to Buffy’s judgment that she remains wary of her rescuer.

"Surely I don't. Had you gotten your feet to the ground, I have no doubt it would have been your magic that claimed this feral cat's mind instead of my blade. I simply needed the practice and hope to earn your favor."

Sort of like passing the salt at the table. I mean, you could always get the salt yourself, but he’ll pass it to you if he’s closer. blink.gif I don’t think we’ll have to wonder about Aradroth’s motive for long, it sounds like he is just going to say it. What an exciting day, and it’s still morning!!
Destri Melarg
The vendor flashed a buck-toothed grin. “Wave this for your favorite bowman at the tournament. I only have a few left.”

“Oh, no thank you.” I returned his smile and then continued toward my guild, cheerfully trailing words behind me, “I wouldn’t want to take one of your last banners.”

This is how assumption is the enemy of commerce! laugh.gif

Antoine’s comments about the dearth of horses and the reasons behind it are just another of those things that make reading Buffy’s adventures so worthwhile. Of course the nobility would prefer the joust! *facepalm*

After such a well timed rescue I guess Buffy has to have dinner with him now!
Winter Wolf
Oh no! I have missed the start of my favourite tournnnnyyy!!
That does it- Iam tellin’ RL to go to Oblivion....I need to start reading.

How lovely it is to see Aradroth make an appearance in the Buffy journal. As mALX would say- Woohoo!! I am always amazed how well you portray him, the lonely hunter of the Nibenay, and it is only the lovely juxtaposition that you create beside the homely and caring Buffy that leaves the story feeling very unsettled. Yet, at the same time a shadowy character is perfect to arise at the time of the tournament- Magnificent!!

The same feeling of ‘why is she talking to him?’ is still there (as in BF1.0) and I think that hits the spot. Even I find myself cringe!

“Ardaline's a dear sheila”
This made me laugh out loud. laugh.gif

We thought Dagail was the perfect way to help expand the voice in Buffy's head.
My thoughts exactly! It was a neat touch.

"Caution might be in order here," warned the paladin.
Lol. That reminds me of the man who thawed the snake out and when it bit him he cried, “Why did you do that?” The snake replied, “What did you expect me to do?”

Kud-Ei's eyes opened wide. "Buffy, do not tell me you are smitten by him!"

My eyes flew open as wide as Kud-Ei's. "By Mara, no!"

Ardaline giggled. "But he's just your size, Buffy!"

If I was an Aussie I would say that was a pearl, a bonza beauty!! No, wait- I am. laugh.gif

“Oh, and he's often drinking ale with Nordinor when I visit The Fair Deal.”
Scheming and planning a takeover of the realms, no doubt! biggrin.gif

"I do have some gold, and I will surrender it to you for safe passage. Please, I implore you not to hurt my mare or I."
For some reason I think that Khajiit has go no idea what he has walked into. Buffy is well and truly on top of the situation, even if the poor kitty doesn’t realize. I loved the new combat scene, and that line-

I simply needed the practice and hope to earn your favor.

is a gem. smile.gif

Acadian
In our previous episode, Buffy was awakened by a disturbing dream about the Dark Brotherhood. She surmised that the dangerous eyes and manner of the elf Aradroth had likely prompted the dream. After inquiring about him at her guild, Buffy went for a ride with Superian, only to be accosted by a highwayman and surprisingly rescued by Aradroth.

Count Lauriel- I'm so pleased to have you join us! I know there are many wonderful stories to keep up with. Once we approach the end of the tournament, I expect to slow our posting pace to better support the time demands on our readers. I was so delighted to see you bring Helena here! I recall the discussions between you, I and SubRosa as you were making your choices about creating your young Breton healer, and am humbled that you considered our input.

Rider- I remember your kind words from 1.0 regarding the festive/renaissance flavor we were trying to weave into the tourney. Thanks to your encouragement, we are trying to maintain or even enhance that in 2.0.

mALX- Thank you! I don't think the dream was an Acadian plant; rather I think it was triggered as Buffy subconsciously knew where she had seen the dangerous look in Aradroth's eyes before.

SubRosa- Yes, more SubRosa trademarked imp chips. tongue.gif Thanks for liking Buffy's little vendor encounter; sometimes it is the little random things in life that provide our memories. Since Aradroth's decisive strike worked, let me quickly credit the tactic to the wonderful lesson that Pappy gave Teresa regarding daggers. It was just perfect for this. Yes, it seems Buffy is now indebted to the scary elf.

Thomas Kaira- Thank you. I'm sure Buffy was more surprised by that unexpected rescue than anyone! Yes indeed, when you first met Aradroth, you offered him the benefit of the doubt. It's a little early to tell for sure, but I'm so pleased your instincts regarding Aradroth seem to be on the mark.

King Coin- Thanks, I too am glad that Buffy chose, at the Inn of Ill Omen, not to embark into the world of killing for hire. Faced with her dark rescuer, Buffy's head is spinning with emotions that include fear, nurturing, curiosity and reaching out.

Grits- Thank you! Yes, Buffy is an optimist. If she were locked in a room full of horse manure, she would excitedly search for the hidden pony. tongue.gif So, now we have a young, frightened optimist who no doubt feels indebted to her dark rescuer.

Destri- Thank you for enjoying the small touches (the banner merchant, Antoine's prediction on the stable business during the archery tournament). We freely surrender to Buffy's observations and smelling the nightshade as she dances along while straying on and off her path. More Aradroth coming up!

Wolf- I thank you so much for your kind words and allowing Aradroth to join Buffy's world in time for the tourney. He is a fascinating character. Is he dangerous? You bet. Does he have any elfinity (sort of like humanity) inside that raiment? Buffy's nurturing and meddlesome nature will likely force her to try and find out, prudence-be-darned. The paladin has already offered his warning but, like Daenlin, he realizes you can't hold on to a butterfly. One way or another, we will learn quite a bit more about Aradroth in this next episode.

88 The Tournament of Archers, Part 4- Do We Have an Understanding?

"Nay, keep your gold," said Aradroth. "That lesson on poisons we talked about at the Archers Paradox would be most welcome however. As you see, we stand at the trailhead leading to nearby Flooded Mine. I have a small day camp on the shore of the Niben there with quite the bonza view. Will you join me for lunch?"

Well, wandering into the woods with a stranger who could suddenly appear from nowhere and move faster than a cat didn't necessarily seem like the wisest of choices. Of course, I wasn't exactly known for wise choices. Hadn't I said only this morning that I wanted to reach out to Aradroth? Deferring his question, I posed my own, "Are you injured?" If I could establish a healing bond of white magic with this frightening elf, perhaps I could better assess his character.

"Not a scratch but I thank you for your concern," he replied.

So much for that idea. Normally, Superian's judgment about strangers was better than mine. I couldn't tell though if her current nervousness was due to the dead Khajiit at our feet, or the Bosmer in black waiting for an answer.

It seemed Aradroth noted my uncertainty, for he added with a touch of impatience, "Perhaps 'tis I who should be leery. I have no doubt that your magicks could turn me into a fine fat rabbit like the one in my tucker bag. The very one I was planning to roast over my cook fire and am now willing to share with you."

I smiled at the image of Aradroth as a little bunny cloaked in black. I had indeed promised to discuss poisons with him. Oh for Mara's sake, Buffy! If he wanted to hurt you, he could have easily done so right after killing that Khajiit. "Forgive my lack of graciousness. Lead on, my rescuer."

With a paralyze spell not far from my hand, we walked the short trail toward the Niben. Once away from the body of the highwayman, I paid careful attention to Superian. She was quite relaxed now, even nosing Aradroth curiously. The elf responded with a couple of gentle pats to her shoulder.

My mare's take on Aradroth was reassuring and, by the time we arrived at the day camp, I felt much more at ease. Aradroth stirred his campfire to life as he added some wood. After freeing himself of bow, quiver, sword belt and cloak, he knelt by the fire and set about skinning and spitting the rabbit he had pulled from what he called his tucker bag.

I watched the elf as I removed Superian's tack. Without the black cloak, his raiment revealed quite the cute little butt. My mare pawed the water with a front hoof and swung her head toward me. "No, girl. If I cast a spell for you to run atop the water without me along to monitor its duration, you'll be mighty upset when you have to swim back to shore from the middle of the river." With a snort, she whirled and contented herself to run along the sandy beach. "Don't you flash that tail at me," I called after her.

Shortly, Aradroth and I were seated on opposite sides of the campfire sharing roasted rabbit.

"I truly am grateful for your intervention today." Shaking my head as he offered a bottle of ale, I added, "I'm sorry if I seem uncomfortable around you."

"I get that a lot," he replied.

I watched Superian for a few moments. Her need to run sated for now, she grazed calmly by the river's edge. "We both know why you make people uncomfortable."

"Whatever do you mean?" said Aradroth.

I pointed at the inverted sheath strapped to his chest - the one restraining the weapon that had instantly killed a highwayman. "That's a beautiful dagger. I used to have one just like it." I studied his face. "It was called the Blade of Woe, and given to me by a man named Lucien Lachance. He had the same cold look in his eyes that I see in yours." One gray eye briefly twitched almost imperceptibly. His thin lips parted to speak.

I held up a hand to preclude his answer, and continued, "Your eyes have just admitted what I suspect your words will not. I travel successfully in many circles because I know how to keep the secrets of others. Had I not stayed my bowstring against Lucien's request, I would have been your dark sister. Rather, I have a whole town that is my loving family. Many of them have darker natures, but that does not preclude my friendship. I offer you the same, as long as you mean no harm to my family."

The slate gray eyes gazed out across the Niben. "I choose to live in Bravil," he finally said. "The town offers the services and discretion that I require. Your family is not in danger from me. An imp does not defecate in its own cave."

"Thank you, Aradroth."

"And what of you, Buffy? I recall the passion as you began to discuss poisons yesterday at the Mages Guild. And your arrow selections from Daenlin - rather specialized, yes? I see the lithe agility in your movements, the quality of your equipment. If you note me for a killer, it is because it takes one to know one."

Defiantly, I returned the hard stare of his challenge and said, "I have learned to survive in a harsh land, and I lay no claim to moral high ground. Killing with my bow is exhilarating, and I do not apologize for that. When my friends are threatened, I freely admit to rage, vengeance and even cruelty."

My boldness could not stand against his piercing gaze. I lowered my eyes and softened my tone. "I-I simply do not kill innocent people, and my killing is not for hire. Aradroth, I'm sorry you feel no kindness. I hope someday that will change for you." I lifted my water bag in a toast. "Here's to a lot more understanding of each other than we had an hour ago."

"Indeed." After returning my 'toast' with a sip of ale, Aradroth set the bottle on the ground then rubbed his hands over the fire. "Now, might I prevail upon you to show me something green and a bit more deadly than the stuff Ardaline might cook up?"

I took a long pull from my water bag, then said, "Well, I believe I owe that much to the elf who has both saved and fed me today."

Pulling my pack closer, I began rummaging. From the protection of my alchemy bag, I produced a mortar, pestle and the other tools of poison making. My hand returned to my pack several more times for ingredients.

Buffy?

I paused, to stare at the fire. Barely nodding, I acknowledged the paladin's silent voice in my head.

Are you sure that enabling an assassin with sophisticated poisons is wise?

It seemed that the only interests Aradroth and I shared were lethal ones. Yet. . . I wanted him to continue opening up to me. I had seen glimmers that perhaps he was not as dark as he seemed. Acadian was right though. I smiled, and winked at the flames.

I said to Aradroth, "I'm going to show you a glimpse of what could be possible for you." I laid out five ingredients, one of them in a small leather pouch.

Aradroth moved around the fire and sat next to me. "Five? I thought four ingred-"

Placing a finger to the Bosmer's lips, I interrupted, "Don't think, just watch." I broke up a length of spiddal stick into my mortar, then dropped in a blob of congealed putrescence. After placing a root of harrada into the mixture, I sprinkled in some frost salts that I had purchased at the University. "Now, here's the tricky part. The harrada was only to coax the frost salts into the poison; we call that a catalyst. I can now easily take it out." I removed the brown root. "See? The other three items stay in there just fine. Now, we add a secret ingredient, some water and mix."

I did not tell Aradroth that the powder I added from the leather pouch was vampire dust; nor did I tell him that commonly found gall of imp would work as well as the congealed putrescence that could only be found on the nearby mysterious island in Niben Bay.

When I finished refining the concoction through one alchemy apparatus after another, I poured the resulting thick liquid into a vial and inserted a small cork. I then rose to my feet so I could allow magic to fill my hand. Lightly touching a fingertip to the side of the vial, a small symbol grew from the glass which would help identify its contents. After sitting back down, I said, "This poison will prevent spellcasting, deplete health, and cause both fire and frost damage. It's very light weight and is quite lethal - particularly against strong opponents that can cast spells."

The bored look was gone from Aradroth's eyes. "I see now that I sit at the hand of a master. Tell me, what are the two unfamiliar ingredients?"

Ignoring his question, I said, "Consider how much evil there is that needs to be destroyed. You don't have to be part of it." The gentleness in my voice surprised me. "This poison works just as well on necromancers and vampire battlemages as it does against innocent men or mer. You think of Bravil as your home and you don't kill innocent Bravilians. I hope that one day that you can think of all Cyrodiil as your home." I placed the poison into one of the outer compartments of my pack. "When you do, I will share more secrets with you."

Aradroth sighed. "Nilawen says similar things when she overhears Nordinor and I talking. She too is convinced I have a heart."

I was unsure if I had touched that heart or not. Regardless, the mood became awkward and I changed the subject. "Let's talk archery, Aradroth. Are you any good?"

The elf cocked his head. "Well, I can hold my own, but because I split focus between blade, bow and trying to learn the odd spell, I'm no expert. Why?"

"Will you enter the tournament with me? It means so much to Daenlin to have competition." Trying to keep the mood light, I contorted my face into the best pout I could muster. "Please?"

"Very well," Aradroth held up a hand in mock surrender, "besides, I rather like Daenlin."

"Wonderful!" After a grin, I added , "May the best Bosmer win. Tell me, what kind of enchantment is on your bow?"

"I use a demoralize effect. Let a victim run away full of poison I say, or even alternate between two enemies and keep them dancing in fear."

"That's brilliant, Aradroth," I replied.

He looked at my bow on the ground next to us. "And yours?"

"Slayer will totally but briefly drain an enemy's speed. The enchantment makes my target ignore both me and the snap of my bowstring for a moment. I can usually remain hidden after shooting. It also delivers shock damage and helps capture the magical energy of my foes.

"Quite impressive." After tapping one finger against his chin for a moment, he asked, "Say, Buffy, you know that you can reduce the sound of your bowstring, right?"

My mouth fell open and I stared at him. Aradroth gently lifted my lower jaw closed. He actually gave me a thin smile before continuing, "Can you see the tassels on my bowstring?" He stood, offering a hand to help me to my feet. "Grab your bow."

A few moments later, I held Slayer and we were standing at the river's edge.

Aradroth pointed. "Shoot out across the water and listen to your bowstring."

Obediently, I loosed an arrow. THWACK! "So?"

Aradroth took Slayer. I watched carefully as he fitted two small yarn tassels, one approximately a hand's width from each end of the bowstring. "Here, try it now."

I did so and and the result was a noticeably softer 'thwick'. "Aradroth! That is quiet. How?"

"Well, they tell me it has something to do with helping to equalize the speed at which the different parts of the bowstring snap home, but I make no pretense of understanding. I just know it works, as you can hear." I was surprised that, for once, his smile included those gray eyes. "Buffy, I know I make people uncomfortable, yet you have offered your hand in kindness. I will not forget that."
mALX
A whole chapter devoted to the Dark Wolf Aradroth !!! WOO HOO !!!! Buffy's Reform School For Assassins - "When you stop killing, I'll show you how to do it right !!!" I absolutely LOVE Buffy's Buffiness in this one, and glad to see it warmed some of the ice off Aradroth as well !!! I think she was safer in her own home in town for this meeting (as in the original) - but this flowed naturally from his rescue of her so perfectly !!! And I think by showing Aradroth her own capability, hinting that there was much more she wasn't telling - and the power of her own equipment VS his - she more or less assured her own safety.

Acadian slipping in via the campfire - Loved it !!!! AWESOME CHAPTER !!!!!!
King Coin
QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 19 2011, 07:41 AM) *

An imp does not defecate in its own cave."

lol. Aravi has found that they DO in fact defecate in their own caves.

I'm beginning to warm up to Aradroth. This was a much needed chapter. Well done!
Thomas Kaira
Buffy's on a date! With Aradroth! tongue.gif

That was fun. They both learned something new (well, maybe only Buffy), and we see cold gray eyes finally beginning to warm. Maybe next time, Buffy should share her hair conditioner recipe with him?

I have no doubt that your magicks could turn me into a fine fat rabbit like the one in my tucker bag.
Or perhaps a chicken?

If you note me for a killer, it is because it takes one to know one.
How very true.

Nit:

I have a small day camp on the shore of the Niben there with quite the bonza view {.} Will you join me for lunch?
Your period here went AWOL.
Ceidwad
I enjoyed this chapter. Some great bits of detail. Buffy was very wise to politely decline the offer of a drink from a strange assassin, especially when we take into account her previous encounters with alcohol! And of course, Acadian's intervention was also sound.

Buffy will have to be careful around this athletic, apparently charming fellow Bosmer in future, specially if she keeps glancing at his posterior. Savlian is destined to be her match!
haute ecole rider
Buffy's dependence on Superian for an accurate assessment of Aradroth's motives is quite charming! The fact that she listened carefully to the mare tells me that their relationship has grown very tight indeed.

And I'm glad Superian did not treat Aradroth as a male version of Frau Blucher, or else this would have been a very short and much less enjoyable chapter!
Winter Wolf
I...am....in shock....

That is without a doubt one of the best chapters you have written. And I am not just saying that because of some stupid attachment I have to Aradroth, I am saying that because you have have had to juggle some much within the context of the story, and still pulled it off beautifully. smile.gif

How easy it would be to make the meeting come off as silly and contrived, rather than stay faithful to both characters and allow each to reach a lovely impasse. The scene worked great in the oudoors (outback biggrin.gif ) rather than indoors, and the poison and bow lesson was something they both learned from. Of course, it was great to see that our lovely Buffy held back on giving all her poison knowledge and retained a 'card up her sleeve.'

Bonza!
Tuckerbag!!
And a cute butt!!!

Dont tell Haute.... laugh.gif
Destri Melarg
QUOTE(Ceidwad @ Mar 19 2011, 03:10 PM) *

Buffy was very wise to politely decline the offer of a drink from a strange assassin, especially when we take into account her previous encounters with alcohol!

Not to mention her experience with 'bonza views' and open bodies of water. laugh.gif Thank the Nine there wasn't a waterfall nearby!! ohmy.gif

I agree with mALX, moving their encounter to the open air gave it that intangible something that was missing before. As a reader I was left with the impression that these two could develop a genuine affection for the other. Maybe it's Buffy's trepidation at the start of the chapter that seems to dissipate as she gets to know him, but it is something that I didn't get when she had him over for dinner.
SubRosa
Of course, I wasn't exactly known for wise choices.
This brought a faint smile to my lips. smile.gif

Teresa would not mind a bonza view of a certain Blond Bravilian Bowgirl! Like Destri said though, too bad there are no waterfalls in the city though... wink.gif

I enjoyed the bit of verbal sparring between Buffy and Aradroth, as she made it quite clear that she knew his exact profession, not to mention his own very astute tit for tat. The later alchemy lesson was just a gem. As Aradroth said, we are in the presence of a virtuoso of the mortar and pestle. And finally a nice little gem of Aradroth's own with his bow silencer. Just the right thing for an assassin to know.

And at the very end, do we see a glimmer of a heart in Aradroth? Or might that just what the cunning "I am a coiled snake" assassin wants Buffy to believe...
MyCat
She's slowly cracking his shell, is she?

This part conjured an amusing image of a swimming Superian, but a nit -- there seems to be a word too few or too many: "If I cast a spell for you to run atop the water without me along to keep track its duration."
TheOtherRick
QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 16 2011, 07:24 AM) *

Rick- Thank you for your kind words as you bravely continue catching up with us! After the tourney, I promise to slow our pace some. With so many stories posting so quickly, I think that will be a prudent improvement.

Please don't slow your pace on my account. I will catch up eventually. It may take a while, as the onset of spring will mean more work and less time to read for me. I'll just keep chipping away at it. wink.gif

Ch. 14 - What a great scene! I really liked the touch of the Battlemages having to hold their spells until they were sure of Buffy's location. Perfect!

Ch. 15 - A nice relaxing recuperation in Anvil. I think I may have *perked* as much as SubRosa did when Buffy was asked to lift her blouse. Shame on me... whistling.gif And then the overheard conversation about Bosmer females was rich...perfect Buffy.

Ch. 16 - Equestria and The Valley of Horses... Although I am not familiar with its origin, I like it. It is always so cool when authors bring in non-game additions. The imps (in agreement with another comment of the time) were a stroke of genius. Then the description of Raminus Polis. This line caught me...Like all round ears, he would have a short life span, and I estimated his to be over half complete....how perfectly Elvish!

Great reading is the result of great writing...Fantastic man! goodjob.gif
Grits
The very frank discussion followed by the extremely tricky alchemy lesson shows tremendous poise from Dame Buffy. That was some skillful elf handling. Then Aradroth comes up with the tassels for Slayer and a genuine smile. This looks like a friendship between equals in the making. I absolutely adore this episode.

It seemed that the only interests Aradroth and I shared were lethal ones.
Not if he also checked out your butt. tongue.gif
Acadian
In our last episode, Buffy nervously joined her rescuer, Aradroth, for lunch at his day camp on the Niben. There, she confirmed he was an assassin without him admitting it. She did manage to get him to open up a little as they discussed poisons and bow string silencers. The two elves learned enough of each other to coexist with an aspect of mutual respect. It seems Buffy is prepared to accept Aradroth as another member of her eclectic Bravilian family.

mALX- Thank you. I hadn't really thought in terms of the elements, but I suppose there may have been a touch of fire and ice here. We worked very hard to balance Buffy's questionable prudence regarding her own safety with her nurturing desire to offer a hand in friendship. The influence of her experience with the initially dangerous and snarling Mazoga was strong here.

King Coin- Buffy will never be able to change Aradroth's nature, but the dark assassin does indeed have at least a small touch of elfinity (sort of like humanity). Thank you.

Thomas Kaira- Thank you. The bowgirl's stones aren't big enough to tell the little elf that his hair's a mess. She figures she pushed her luck with Aradroth pretty hard already. laugh.gif Thanks for the nit so I could fix it!

Ceidwad- Thank you! Cold, slate-gray eyes, unruly mop of brown hair, cute little butt - yup, that sums up the small elf in black! I don't think Buffy's hero in a headband up at Kvatch need worry however. In fact she'll confirm that near the end of this next episode. happy.gif

Rider- Thank you so much for highlighting how much Buffy depends on Superian. She knows her judgment is sometimes clouded by her hair color, but she's smart enough to listen to her precious black mare. If only she would listen to Acadian as well. . . . embarrased.gif

Wolf- With Buffy's quirky and questionable judgment on full display in this past episode, your words are soothing indeed. She knows that Aradroth's nature will never permit the intimate friendship Buffy has with such Bravilians as Daenlin, Kud-Ei or Ardaline. Nevertheless, she and Aradroth now share some trust and respect.

Destri- A nearby waterfall would certainly have meant trouble! I'm delighted that you endorse our use of the outdoor setting this time around. We tried to 'show' her decreasing trepidation in layers and I'm glad it seemed to have worked.

SubRosa- I'm so glad you enjoyed the verbal dueling between Buffy and Aradroth as they sorted each other out! Buffy won't forget the assassin that came to her rescue, and Aradroth won't forget the mystic archer that reached out a nervous hand in kindness.

MyCat- Thank you. I wouldn't expect the assassin to soften much more than we've seen. I'm glad you liked the image of Superian possibly having to swim ashore. Buffy normally pays close attention to the spell's long duration so she can dismount on the water surface and recast as necessary. The mare enjoys water running, but without Buffy along, would no doubt end up swimming at some point. I reviewed the sentence you referred to. Not only was it missing a word, but it was awkward as well. Fixed, and I thank you for pointing it out.

Rick- What a delightful walk along memory lane you are providing for Buffy and I! I thank you so much for sharing your impressions as you catch up with us!

Grits- Thank you for those delightfully encouraging words! Poise and skillful elf handling - Woohoo! We are so humbled. Buffy is just thankful for her University education, time spent at Court Leyawiin and her experience gained through poor judgment that combine to help her with verbal encounters. tongue.gif

89 The Tournament of Archers, Part 5- Daenlin and Buffy Qualify

With one arm linked in Daenlin's, we threaded our way among the merchants, visitors and pickpockets that filled the streets of Bravil. I remarked, "It's still early in the day yet can you believe all these people filling our quiet town? How exciting. Oh look, that merchant sells nothing but shoes!"

"Guard your coin purse and stay close," the Bosmer said with a chuckle. He gently, but insistently, maneuvered me past the many vendors and tarp-covered stands offering all kinds of wares. "We're shooting this morning."

I whispered over my shoulder, "I'll be back!" to the shoe vendor as my escort dragged me along. "Daenlin, tourney eliminations just started. We have three days to qualify, you know." My head was on a swivel at all the new sights that had sprung up, seemingly overnight.

Passing the Fighters Guild, we could hear the unmistakable sounds of archery practice behind the building. Daenlin smiled. "Seems like the local guild commander has his archers working hard back there. It'll be interesting to see what kind of contingent the guild puts up for competition this year."

The area outside the city gate had sprung its own share of tarps, tents and temporary merchants all drawn to our town by the tournament of archers. In fact, the stables seemed out of place now in the middle of what had become a festive tent city.

The tourney grounds were crowded with men, mer and beastfolk that were shopping or making their way into the large newly-built seating areas. The reviewing stands were of wood but resembled seating in the Arena, as each row was elevated above the one in front of it.

Near the shooting area, we found the judging station beneath a white tarp that was punctuated by broad red stripes. In one of three chairs behind a small table sat a rather official looking Imperial. "Here to register?" Apparently taking his answer from the bows and quivers on our backs, he continued without pause, "I presume you've read the rules of competition and have the required entry tribute?"

Daenlin nodded. We each counted out a stack of septims and signed the tourney book. Our gold went into a stout chest that fell under the watchful gaze of a nearby guard.

"Let me just review the highlights then." The judge then recited, "Your qualification round consists of three flights of three for a total of nine arrows and a maximum score of ninety. The first flight is untimed at medium range. The second flight, at the same range, is a rapid-fire event limited to thirty seconds. The final flight is untimed against a long range target." The Imperial paused for a short breath and continued, "All arrows must come from your quiver or arrow bag; no pre-staging in the ground by your feet is allowed. The top ten archers over the next three days will advance to the finals. Good luck."

"You first, Master," I said to Daenlin.

He winked and replied, "Age before beauty," then stepped off toward the firing line.

"I'm Sinia, one of the line judges," I overheard as Daenlin approached the Redguard. She smiled and pointed down range. "There's your target, whenever you're ready."

Daenlin nocked an arrow to the Bow of Infliction. Even depleted of charges, as the competition safety rules required, it was the most beautiful bow I had ever seen. His style was smooth and effortless, reflecting decades of experience. Three arrows soon adorned the ten ring of his target.

My master was a hunter, and rarely required to shoot rapidly. I was therefore not surprised to see him drop three points on the rapid-fire event that followed.

During the final long range untimed event, Daenlin again demonstrated why he was the reigning champion.

The Redguard smiled at the old Bosmer. "That was some impressive shooting, Champion. Your score is eighty seven out of a possible ninety points." She then pointed at me and called out, "You're next, young lady."

I approached the firing line as Daenlin stepped away. Our smiles lingered and callused bow fingers briefly touched as we slowly passed each other.

As I slid Slayer from my back, it seemed odd not seeing the gentle red glow appear to let me know it was charged with magic. Compared to the Bow of Infliction, Slayer was very plain - not beautiful by any definition. The bow which had kept me alive through many encounters though, was light, powerful and true. I drew the first arrow from my quiver.

I had no trouble hitting the center of the target with all three arrows on the first flight.

Sinia placed her hand on the small hourglass, looked at me and nodded. She would begin timing the second flight as soon as I touched the tail of my next arrow. I had plenty of practice shooting under pressure, even though I sometimes got flustered and resorted to using magic instead. My right hand reached over my shoulder.

After I quickly fired three arrows, the target line official called back the score, "ten, nine, nine."

Tossing a pinch of dirt into the air, I noted the direction of the light wind. This final target was farther away, but the flight would not be timed. My master the hunter, and his apprentice the sniper, were both good at long range. I was potentially a point ahead of Daenlin.

I nocked my first arrow and pulled some tension on Slayer's bowstring. Concentrating on the target, I magically snapped it into enhanced focus. After carefully determining my final aim point, I controlled my breathing, drew the bowstring to my ear and released it. With my enhanced view, I was instantly gratified to see a bull's-eye. I managed to repeat this for a second ten. Just before drawing full tension on the final arrow, I eased my aim point slightly off center to the right.

From the target line, I heard, "ten, ten, eight."

"Eighty six. Nice shooting," said Sinia. The Redguard then lowered her voice and added, "I'm sure that score will get you into the finals. Congratulations."

As I joined Daenlin near the reviewing stands, he eyed me suspiciously. "What happened on that final shot?"

"Something got in my eye at the last moment. Are you proud of me though? I shot almost as well as you did!" Without giving him a chance to pursue it, I added, "Are you hungry? I'll get us something to eat, then we can sit here, enjoy an early lunch and watch some of the qualifications."

Wonderful smells beckoned me toward a smoky tent with its front panels tied open.

"Well, Milady, what suits your fancy today?" The ruddy-faced Imperial grinned enthusiastically. "I have some savory boar sausage flavored with sage? Perhaps a piece of this fresh Niben slaughterfish, grilled with butter and a delicious selection of herbs?"

"They both sound wonderful. I think I'll have some of each." I then added cheerfully, "Oh, and a loaf of bread with two bottles of ale please."

A few minutes later, Daenlin and I were clinking bottles to congratulate each other on shooting well. Between mouthfuls, he filled me in. "Schlera Sestius registered while you were gone. Riveus also signed in."

I had met Schlera when passing through Pell's Gate. The dark haired Imperial was a fine archer, but I shook my head as I watched her. "Daenlin, if you ever see me wear a mithril cuirass with a long skirt, will you promise to shoot me? How's she doing?"

Daenlin chuckled. "Well, she's dedicated, but not gifted. I suspect she'll qualify though. Say, this fish is really good."

"So is the sausage," I replied, then turned my attention to Riveus. The Imperial was a forester for the Legion and assigned to County Bravil. Daenlin and I encountered him routinely while hunting. The ladies liked him. It was easy to see why, with his rugged good looks and clear blue eyes that fairly sparkled. His blond hair was tied back in a queue, and he was dressed in a green forester shirt with leather greaves and boots. A white silk scarf was jauntily draped around his neck. The dashing Imperial certainly did not suffer from Schlera's lack of fashion sense.

What did I know though? Seeing the handsome man reminded me of another member of the Legion - one who wore the white and black surcoat of Kvatch, filthy with smoke, blood and the innards of countless Daedra. No white scarf adorned the man with the heart of a lion - just a black headband soaked with sweat and blood.

I willed myself away from the dark sky of Kvatch, and back to the cheerful sunshine next to my friend and master of the bow. I wanted, even if just for my short time in Bravil, to be a carefree young elf.

We watched Riveus shoot long enough to get a feel for his style. Although not a master, he was a solid and consistent archer.

With our lunch finished, Daenlin turned and pointed toward the merchant tents. "Look, Buffy, it seems both Tamika and the Surile Brothers have set up displays. I expect both wineries will do quite well here over the next few days. Let's split up for an hour or so to do some shopping. Then we can meet by the winery tents and head over toward Bloodmayne Cave for some target practice away from prying eyes. How's that sound?"

"Shopping?" I chirped.
ghastley
So Imelda Buffy might be shopping for some shoes? It must be the season for it. Get some for Superian while you're in the mood!

I like the way Daenlin knows she's holding back in this round. It will be interesting to see his viewpoint in the later rounds. And I just noticed a subtle change in her scoring this time, getting an eight, instead of seven on that last shot. Hmmm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.