Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Brighter Future?
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Fiction
Pages: 1, 2
Tábrasa
Hello! I'll start by introducing myself.

My name is Tábrasa and I'm new to the forums. I've been silently looking at some of the stories on the forums and have felt truly inspired.
Therefore I have decided to start the story of my Breton Wiccan, Tara Willow, who I've been travelling with for the past year. Below is an introduction to Tara, which will soon be followed by the Prologue...

INTRODUCTION TO TARA WILLOW

Tara Willow is a 20 year old female Breton born on the 14th of Rain's Hand, 3E 413.

She is primarily a Conjurer but also dabbles in Destruction and Illusion. She is also handy with a blade in certain situations.

Her father died when she was a teenager and her mother resides somewhere in Cyrodiil, under a new name following events in High Rock that led her to abandon Tara as an infant.

Tara's father was a man obsessed with the art of Mysticism; but in the wrong kind of way. He wanted to experiment the thought of finding a way to turn the human body itself into a soul gem; an experment not only ridiculed, but dangerous.

One day, however, he managed to succeed in his experiment; using a teenage Tara as his unwilling test subject. He managed to trap a spirit withing Tara's body, leaving her in an unusual state.

Tara now has to permanantly live with an extra spirit inside her, who she named Willow, after her surname.
Willow is able to communicate with Tara and take control of her body for brief periods; but only when Tara desperatly need's her assistance. However, Willow's possesions are almost NEVER a good thing.

Currently Tara is on a mission to find her mother, mainly for her own piece of mind. All she knows is that she is in Cyrodiil, but nothing else. The only thing she has to offer any aid in her quest is the memory of her mothers face...
SubRosa
Hi Tábrasa! You have an interesting concept. The idea of turning a person's body into a sort of living soul gem is an intriguing idea. Sort of like lichdom, except in this case you have two souls sharing the same flat. Although perhaps dear old Daddy is working on a way to evict the original soul? That would give one a means for serial immortality, changing bodies as they grow old and wear out. All without all that rotting flesh the necromancers love to roll around in.

Given the name(s) of your protagonist(s) I suspect that you are a BtVS fan as well, not to mention a Willow fan. She was always my favorite character on the show. In fact, I had such a crush on her back then. Toward the end I was literally only watching to see her, and fast-forwarded through the parts she was not on screen.

You describe her as a Breton Wiccan? Not to mention a conjurer. Does that mean she will be using a different form of magic then we are used to seeing? Such as not summoning undead or deadra but something else? If she comes from the Western Reach that would make for the ideal melting pot for a very eclectic tradition of magic. In my TF, I introduced the concept of summoning Aedra for the "good" characters. Not to mention summoning animals such as wolves, bears, lions, etc... for the actual Witches.
Tábrasa
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 12 2011, 12:16 AM) *

Hi Tábrasa! You have an interesting concept. The idea of turning a person's body into a sort of living soul gem is an intriguing idea. Sort of like lichdom, except in this case you have two souls sharing the same flat. Although perhaps dear old Daddy is working on a way to evict the original soul? That would give one a means for serial immortality, changing bodies as they grow old and wear out. All without all that rotting flesh the necromancers love to roll around in.

Given the name(s) of your protagonist(s) I suspect that you are a BtVS fan as well, not to mention a Willow fan. She was always my favorite character on the show. In fact, I had such a crush on her back then. Toward the end I was literally only watching to see her, and fast-forwarded through the parts she was not on screen.

You describe her as a Breton Wiccan? Not to mention a conjurer. Does that mean she will be using a different form of magic then we are used to seeing? Such as not summoning undead or deadra but something else? If she comes from the Western Reach that would make for the ideal melting pot for a very eclectic tradition of magic. In my TF, I introduced the concept of summoning Aedra for the "good" characters. Not to mention summoning animals such as wolves, bears, lions, etc... for the actual Witches.

Yes, Tara and Willow are indeed from BtVS. I was always drawn to the thought of creating one character who can't live without their literal soulmate, and being such a huge BtVS fan, I was sure the relationship between Tara and Willow would be perfect inspiration. Seeing as i've been travelling with Tara for almost a year, it's been interesting seeing their relationship grow and almost change.

Yes, she is a Wiccan, but I really want to download this Witchcraft mod I have heard of, but as I am on console normal Conjuration will do Tara just fine... for now tongue.gif I plan to write her with Wiccan powers, however, although in my game she does not. I've basically read what the mod provides so writing with that in mind whilst using the power of imagination will be fine smile.gif

Tara's father is heavily included in the Prologue, as well as his experiment, so we may learn his intentions. Also, I forgot to mention in the introduction, Tara's parts of the story will be written in third person and Willow in first. I wanted to write something that shows the differences between the two people.

Also, thank you for your warm welcome smile.gif

P.S I absoloutly LOVE Tara in BtVS. I was so upset when I watched her departure from the show :'( but from then on I was team Willow all the way tongue.gif
SubRosa
QUOTE(Tábrasa @ Dec 11 2011, 07:25 PM) *

Yes she is a Wiccan, but I really want to download this Witchcraft mod I have heard of, but as I am on console normal Conjuration will do Tara just fine. I plan to write her with Wiccan powers, however, although in my game she does not. I've basically read what the mod provides so writing with that in mind whilst using the power of imagination will be fine smile.gif

I am the one who created that Witchcraft mod. smile.gif Unless there is another one out there (there is a fella who created a hunter's mod that is very similar, and he too is a Pagan like myself). It basically allows you to conjure wolves, timber wolves, boars, black bears, lions, grizzly bears, and finally spriggans. There are also 3 sets of bound armor/maces you can summon of gradually increasing power.

The religion I created to go with the powers is summed up by a book I created for the mod:
The Witches of Cyrodiil are a very misunderstood people. Thanks to a meeting facilitated by a friend of mine who is a forester, I was able to meet with one of these Witches and speak with her at length about her tradition. Her name is Morcant, and she served me the tastiest sweet rolls and most delicate Argonian White Tea as we spoke of her craft.

When one hears the word Witch, the first thought that comes mind tends to be of a Daedra worshipper. This I learned is quite far from the truth. Witches worship the Earthbones, the Aedric spirits that perished in the creation of Mundus. They also revere those surviving Aedra who departed our world after giving over some of their life force to create it, as well as those eight who remained (whom we knew as the Eight Divines before Tiber Septim joined their ranks as Talos to make them Nine).

Witches also follow spirit guides, as the Bosmer of Valenwood do. Indeed, the religion of Cyrodiil's Witches appears to be nothing less than the native religion of the Wood Elves, which is now rapidly fading to obscurity thanks to the spread of the Imperial Cult in their homeland. These spirit guides appear to Witches in dreams, and even waking visions, telling them secrets, leading them places, even teaching them spells.

When asked the origin of the spirit guides, Morcant explained that they were in fact the memories of the Earthbones themselves. Even though dead, or gone from Mundus, the energy they left behind remains within us, as symbols buried deeply into our Lower Selves - what some call the unconscious mind. It is through interaction with these symbols that Witches in fact interact with the entire world. Learning, experiencing, healing, and otherwise doing their part to protect Nirn.

Aiding them in this protection are the animals of the natural world. Animals that are considered dangerous to any conventional person - Wolves, bears, lions, and even spriggans - are all friendly to Witches. In fact, a wolf named Tsume came to visit Morcant as we talked, and she explained to me that he was a friend of hers. When I asked why she had given him such an Akaviri-sounding name, Morcant told me that she had not given it to him. Rather her one of her spirit guides had told it to her.

It is thanks to these spirit guides that Witches possess the ability to also summon these animals to come to their aid when in danger. Morcant demonstrated this for me by summoning a grizzly bear. She explained to me that it was not an actual, living bear plucked from some forest that she had summoned. Rather it was an external expression of the symbol of one of her spirit guides - In this case obviously Bear - temporarily given flesh and blood through magic.

Witches believe that Mundus and everything in it is sacred, being that it was created from the life essence of these Aedric spirits. It is the product of their flesh, blood, and spirits. Witches have no temples, because to them the entire world is a temple. Nor do they have a special priest caste, as they are all priests and priestesses. As Morcant said to me: "We are all divine. We are all gods. Most of us have simply forgotten our divine origins."

Doubtlessly this will be considered quite shocking by most chapel-going Imperials, if not downright heresy. In fact, I believe that this belief in the inherit divinity is one of the main reason that Witches are so reviled and discriminated against in Imperial society. The other being their ability to create their own spells through their spirit guides. This completely negates the Mages Guild's monopoly on magical research and teaching, and would pose a serious threat to their existence if Witchcraft was more accepted and accessible.

So in closing, if you are traveling through the countryside and meet a Witch, do not be afraid. Rather great him or her (for Witch is a non-gendered term) as a friend. For they are the guardians of the wild places of Nirn, and will only bring harm to those who seek to do it themselves. And if you are very nice, perhaps they will even give you sweet rolls and tea!

Tábrasa

I am the one who created that Witchcraft mod. smile.gif Unless there is another one out there (there is a fella who created a hunter's mod that is very similar, and he too is a Pagan like myself). It basically allows you to conjure wolves, timber wolves, boars, black bears, lions, grizzly bears, and finally spriggans. There are also 3 sets of bound armor/maces you can summon of gradually increasing power.

The religion I created to go with the powers is summed up by a book I created for the mod:
The Witches of Cyrodiil are a very misunderstood people. Thanks to a meeting facilitated by a friend of mine who is a forester, I was able to meet with one of these Witches and speak with her at length about her tradition. Her name is Morcant, and she served me the tastiest sweet rolls and most delicate Argonian White Tea as we spoke of her craft.

When one hears the word Witch, the first thought that comes mind tends to be of a Daedra worshipper. This I learned is quite far from the truth. Witches worship the Earthbones, the Aedric spirits that perished in the creation of Mundus. They also revere those surviving Aedra who departed our world after giving over some of their life force to create it, as well as those eight who remained (whom we knew as the Eight Divines before Tiber Septim joined their ranks as Talos to make them Nine).

Witches also follow spirit guides, as the Bosmer of Valenwood do. Indeed, the religion of Cyrodiil's Witches appears to be nothing less than the native religion of the Wood Elves, which is now rapidly fading to obscurity thanks to the spread of the Imperial Cult in their homeland. These spirit guides appear to Witches in dreams, and even waking visions, telling them secrets, leading them places, even teaching them spells.

When asked the origin of the spirit guides, Morcant explained that they were in fact the memories of the Earthbones themselves. Even though dead, or gone from Mundus, the energy they left behind remains within us, as symbols buried deeply into our Lower Selves - what some call the unconscious mind. It is through interaction with these symbols that Witches in fact interact with the entire world. Learning, experiencing, healing, and otherwise doing their part to protect Nirn.

Aiding them in this protection are the animals of the natural world. Animals that are considered dangerous to any conventional person - Wolves, bears, lions, and even spriggans - are all friendly to Witches. In fact, a wolf named Tsume came to visit Morcant as we talked, and she explained to me that he was a friend of hers. When I asked why she had given him such an Akaviri-sounding name, Morcant told me that she had not given it to him. Rather her one of her spirit guides had told it to her.

It is thanks to these spirit guides that Witches possess the ability to also summon these animals to come to their aid when in danger. Morcant demonstrated this for me by summoning a grizzly bear. She explained to me that it was not an actual, living bear plucked from some forest that she had summoned. Rather it was an external expression of the symbol of one of her spirit guides - In this case obviously Bear - temporarily given flesh and blood through magic.

Witches believe that Mundus and everything in it is sacred, being that it was created from the life essence of these Aedric spirits. It is the product of their flesh, blood, and spirits. Witches have no temples, because to them the entire world is a temple. Nor do they have a special priest caste, as they are all priests and priestesses. As Morcant said to me: "We are all divine. We are all gods. Most of us have simply forgotten our divine origins."

Doubtlessly this will be considered quite shocking by most chapel-going Imperials, if not downright heresy. In fact, I believe that this belief in the inherit divinity is one of the main reason that Witches are so reviled and discriminated against in Imperial society. The other being their ability to create their own spells through their spirit guides. This completely negates the Mages Guild's monopoly on magical research and teaching, and would pose a serious threat to their existence if Witchcraft was more accepted and accessible.

So in closing, if you are traveling through the countryside and meet a Witch, do not be afraid. Rather great him or her (for Witch is a non-gendered term) as a friend. For they are the guardians of the wild places of Nirn, and will only bring harm to those who seek to do it themselves. And if you are very nice, perhaps they will even give you sweet rolls and tea!

All I have to say is WOW. This kind of lore you have created for the mod is amazing! If it is okay with you, would It be okay for me to use some of this lore to explain some things about Witches for my story? I will obvioulsy make a side note that you created the lore and the mod smile.gif
SubRosa
QUOTE(Tábrasa @ Dec 11 2011, 07:55 PM) *

All I have to say is WOW. This kind of lore you have created for the mod is amazing! If it is okay with you, would It be okay for me to use some of this lore to explain some things about Witches for my story? I will obvioulsy make a side note that you created the lore and the mod smile.gif

Thank you. Go right on ahead and use whatever you would like. We tend to like to share our ideas here at Chorrol, even down to simple things like terms to use for things. Some of my best ideas were borrowed from other people! laugh.gif
Acadian
A very warm welcome to you, Tabrasa! As one who shares life inside the mind and body of another, I’m both delighted and intrigued by Tara and Willow! happy.gif

What a fabulous foundation for a story you have here, and Tara already has a wonderful mission – to find her mother. I’m pleased that you have chosen to anchor your story in the beautiful province of Cyrodiil and I so look forward to reading more!
mALX
The concept for your story is fascinating! Welcome to the Forums!
King Coin
Very interesting character you have. Sounds like she has a very complicated relationship with the spirit residing in her body.

Welcome!
McBadgere
I had a bit of a thing for Willow meself... tongue.gif ...Oooh, and Tara...Oooh and Kennedy...Ooooh and Ms Calendar...Did you know she was one of Prince's dancers for Diamonds and Pearls?...*Sighs*...Oooh and Buffy's mum...

blink.gif ...*Cough*...Sorry...

Welcome Tabrasa...*Waves*... biggrin.gif ...

Looking forward to reading yer story...

biggrin.gif ...

Tábrasa
Everyone, thank you so much for your warm welcomes! I really hope you enjoy Tara's story, here is the first part of the prologue.

The prologue will be in three parts.

Just a quick NOTE: There is a scene in the chapter which some people may find upsetting.

0.1 ~ Prologue

3E 423 - Farrun, High Rock

Tara was woken up, again, to the sound of her parents fighting. She never understood why. On the outside they appeared to be the perfect couple, but when the lights went out and they were out of view from the world, that’s when their true feelings for each other emerged.

Tara slowly crawled out if bed and crept towards her bedroom door. She slowly reached for the door knob and turned it ever so slightly, then pulled the door toward her. She didn’t know exactly what they were arguing about, but she heard her name mentioned on more than one occasion.

She saw it. Through a small opening in the door she saw her mother and father arguing. It was terrible, horrifying even, but Tara was used to it. She was used to the bitterness and the hatred they had for each other. She would look and the other mothers and fathers of Farrun and feel nothing but jealousy. She wished her parents could be happy, be normal. The amount of times she deemed running away the only option was one time too many.

She continued to watch her parents through the opening, praying silently to herself that the fighting would be over soon; mainly because she wanted to go back to sleep.

After five minutes of watching them Tara decided to sit down to view them instead. She knew it wasn’t going to end any time soon. Both her mother and her father were extremely strong willed and stubborn, so neither of them was prepared to end the fight without a win.

Tara then heard the arguing getting clearer as her parents took the fight upstairs. Tara slid away from the door opening, out of sight, but still listening carefully to her parents.

“This is obscure, Riccard! You can’t expect the guild to agree with this!” Tara mother pleaded.

“The guild has no business in this whatsoever, Jada, no business at all!” Riccard replied sternly.

“But you are dabbling in magic’s that no one has ever dared to! What do you expect me to do? Sit back and keep my mouth shut?”

“Well, that would be a good start!”

Then Tara heard something else she was used to, her mother harshly slapping her father on the cheek.

There was a silence. Intrigued by the silence Tara slowly crept her vision back to the door opening.

She then witnessed something she’d never seen before.

Riccard raised his fist and with such terrifying force he punched Jada in the eye, knocking her down with an incredible thud.

Tara was left reeling, eyes wide in shock at what she had just witnessed. She watched as her mother led on the floor, crying. She was in agony.

All Tara could do was run back to her bed and hide under the covers. She hoped everything would be okay soon.

“But mother, why do you have to go?” Tara asked. Her and her mother were sat at the table; or rather Tara on the table and her mother on a chair next to her, gripping her hand.

“I don’t want to, sweetie, but… it’s just something I have to do.” Jada replied, her eyes remorseful. Tara looked up from her knees and at her mother.

“Are you going because father hit you?”
Jada looked at her daughter, this time in horror. “Sweetie, what are you talking about?”

“Last night. I saw father punch you. I saw you crying.”

Jada remained silent for a second, eventually forcing a smile with the hope of comforting her daughter.

“That was an accident that you shouldn’t have seen. But no, that isn’t why I’m leaving. I wish I could tell you why I’m leaving, but…”

“But what, mother?” Tara asked. Jada thought for a while and then shook her head to remove the thought she had.

“Sweetie I really can’t tell you. You just have to believe and trust that I’m leaving for the right reasons.”

“How can I do that when I don’t know why you’re leaving?”

Jada remained silent, tears evident in her eyes. Tara then continued.

“Can I come with you?”

Jada slowly shook her head. “No, sweetie, you can’t.”

Tara looked back down at her knees. Jada then lightly grabbed Tara’s chin and lifted Tara’s gaze into hers.

“Look,” She started before taking off her silver necklace and placing it around Tara’s neck. “Keep this with you at all times, okay? Keep it as a symbol of my love for you. Where ever I am, however far away from you I may be, this is to remind you that I will ALWAYS be thinking of you. You will be on my mind from dawn till dusk. You will always be in my heart. Just because I won’t be around doesn’t mean I don’t love you, okay?”

Jada then slowly kissed Tara on the cheek, but the moment was spoiled by the appearance of Riccard. He stood in the doorway to the dining room; arms folded.

“I thought you were leaving?” He asked firmly. Jada stood and headed toward Riccard.

“I am. There is a carriage outside waiting for me. Would you at least help me with my bags?”

Riccard glared at Jada and then reluctantly headed to the front door to get the rest of Jada’s things to load them into the carriage.

As Jada was leaving the dining room, Tara asked her one more question.

“Mother… why are you leaving me alone with father?”

Jada stopped and slowly turned her head toward Tara. She said nothing; only cried. She tried to say ‘sorry’, but the tears formed a barrier her words couldn’t break through. She left the dining room. She left Tara’s life. Tara didn’t know whether it would be forever. But for now; she was alone.

3E 432 - Farrun, High Rock

Tara stepped into her house, keeping an eye out for her father as she snuck in through the door. She had just been out celebrating her nineteenth birthday with her friends, and if her father found out she knew he would freak. She didn’t even know if he remembered it was her birthday. He never had any time for her; but she was fine with that. As far as she could recall they had only had one conversation since Jada left when Tara was ten, and that conversation was only initiated when Tara accidentally got in Riccard’s way.

Tara walked through the house, looking for her father, but he wasn’t anywhere. She could only assume that he was in the basement working on his research. Ever since Tara’s mother left he had spent nearly every day working in the basement; and only the gods knew what he was working on. She stumbled into the kitchen (she had had more than a few goblets of wine) and looked in the cupboard for food. Her hunger was unbearable. When she walked over to the cupboard she noticed something on the table. A note. She picked up the note and read it aloud to herself.

“I’ve gone to get supplies. Don’t go in the basement.”

It was written by her father. She rolled the note into a ball and threw it on the floor. She went to open the cupboard, but caught a glimpse of the basement door. She stared at it for a while. Father won’t be home for a while, I think. Maybe the reason mother left is in the basement?

She slowly closed the cupboard door, ignoring her excruciating hunger for now as she walked toward the basement. When she was stood before the door she had a large intake of breath and prepared herself for the secrets she was sure to discover.

The basement was dark and miserable. The only source of light was a pathetic excuse of a torch flickering slightly in the corner of the room. She headed towards the torch and grabbed it. She looked around the basement. Nothing out of the ordinary. A few alchemy supplies and spell books. The only thing that bothered her was the unidentified smell that lingered. It smelled dead, like a rotting wolf. But with the source of the smell unknown and the basement less than interesting, Tara- Hold on. What’s this?

Tara looked at the table and saw an unlabeled, leather bound book. It looked like a journal. She placed the torch carefully beside the table and opened the book, looking behind her quickly to check for her father. Nothing.

She placed a seat near the torchlight and sat down. She began to read.

…I feel like my experiment is finally ready for testing. Jada disproved of it but I am certain that I can prove her wrong. For years I’ve had this theory that the human brain is capable of carrying the soul of the dead and extracting it at will into enchantments; much like a living soul gem, if you will.
I have stored some bodies that I have found under the floor board ready to extract their souls ready for the experiment…

“Bodies? The smell…” Tara gasped, but she continued to read.

All I need now is somebody that I can use as a test subject. Someone who is willing to be a marvel in the art of Mysticism. Someone who is willing to risk their life for my research into-

Abruptly Tara was grabbed from behind; her eyes covered, an arm held tightly around her neck. After a struggle, a potion was forced into her mouth, which she had no choice but to swallow. After her body started to relax, her musles loosening and her eyelids began to drop, she fell unconscious.
McBadgere
Charming fellow that dad there... huh.gif ...

An excellent and evocative write...I really did feel sad for Tara and her mother...Nasty business that...

Looking forward to seeing how the live soul gem thing works...And whether the recharging dissipates the captured soul over time kind of thing...

*Applauds*...Nice one!... biggrin.gif ...Well done...
mALX
GAAAAH !!! Her father is a necromancer? URK !!! Very sad (but revealing) chapter. Great Write !!
King Coin
Great start! Poor Tara though. Dad just found his test subject.
SubRosa
Tara is from Farrun I see? So I guess that makes her a Witchwoman of HighRock (or whatever they call the female Witchmen wink.gif )

Well, that was an unfortunate example of domestic violence for Tara to witness. I wonder if that is why her mother left,? or if it was because of her father's experiments? Or perhaps both? I also wonder at why her mother left Tara behind, and suspect that it was a decision forced upon her by her father.

And so now we know that Tara was ten on that fateful night and day her mother left, and is now 19. That knowledge was very well revealed.

Don’t go in the basement.”
Well after reading that, Tara has to go in the basement! biggrin.gif Seriously, anyone would.

And it seems Tara has volunteered to be Daddy's test subject! Assuming he did not have her in mind all along.

nits:
I am not sure if it is intentional, or if the forum is doing it when you paste your text here, but most of your paragraphs are all run together. That makes it difficult to read. For web-based text, there ought to be a space between every paragraph. For standard printed pages, there should be an indent instead. For example, your first three paragraphs should look like this:

Tara was woken up, again, to the sound of her parents fighting. She never understood why. On the outside they appeared to be the perfect couple, but when the lights went out and they were out of view from the world, that’s when their true feelings for each other emerged.

Tara slowly crawled out if bed and crept towards her bedroom door. She slowly reached for the door knob and turned it ever so slightly, then pulled the door toward her. She didn’t know exactly what they were arguing about, but she heard her name mentioned on more than one occasion.

She saw it. Through a small opening in the door she saw her mother and father arguing. It was terrible, horrifying even, but Tara was used to it. She was used to the bitterness and the hatred they had for each other. She would look and the other mothers and fathers of Farrun and feel nothing but jealousy. She wished her parents could be happy, be normal. The amount of times she deemed running away the only option was one time too many.

I am so used to writing for the web that I always put spaces between my paragraphs even in my original Word documents. I am wondering if your originals have indents for each new paragraphs instead of spaces? That would probably account for it, as I do not think the forum recognizes an indentation mark when you paste.
Acadian
A wonderful start! Well, not for Tara I guess. You did a great job of sprinkling all kinds of detail in here in a very natural manner (like the names of Tara’s parents for example, and Tara’s age). I too, thought of the nearby Witchmen at the mention of Farrun.

There is certainly some dark magic going on in Riccard’s basement and I fear that Tara is caught up in it.

You certainly built some tight suspense in this episode! ohmy.gif

I’ll second the gentle encouragement of SubRosa to take your paragraph spacing cues from other stories on the forum – just makes things easier to read in this venue. wink.gif
Athynae
Poor Tara, witnessing such an encounter as a young girl is a horrible experience and one that will shape decisions for the rest of her life. And then having her mother leave her will only add to the psychological impact.

You are off to an incredible start with the story, intriguing to say the least. Riccard needed more than his face slapped....I can only imagine how hard it was for Jada to leave without Tara.

Too bad Tara couldn't hear all of the readers yelling "NO, DON'T GO DOWN THOSE STAIRS!" but then again if she had the story would be totally different.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to more.
Grits
Yikes. Tara has had a heck of a time already, and it doesn't look good for the future Willow. Unless being extracted at will into enchantments is more fun than it sounds. ohmy.gif

Welcome, and I'm glad you're posting your story here! I will be reading it. smile.gif

Tara and Willow were my favorite part of that whole series. They are also one of the few things that I remember about it. Due to small children, I was tired during those years. tongue.gif
liliandra nadiar
Good, wince worthy (in all the good ways) start. Though I hope there was a reason for Jada leaving Tara behind when she was pretty clearly thinking Riccard was a threat, if not criminal. Hope you have an explanation besides Deus ex, and if it's the 'push' for a while of the story, great. ^.^
Tábrasa
First of all I want to thank all of you SO MUCH for reading smile.gif

liliandra nadiar: Haha, don't worry. I know every last inch of Tara's backstory so Jads's dissapearance will be explained... eventually tongue.gif

Grits: I love the relationship between Tara and Willow in BtVS, and it was perfect ispiration for my girl(s). haha. I love the idea of literally not being able to live without your soulmate tongue.gif

Athynae: Yes, Tara's story isn't a happy one to start with. Hopefully things will pick up for her soon tongue.gif and yes, he did need more than a good slap! But i don't think Jada was expecting a retaliation!

Acadian: Ahh yes, the witchmen of Farrun. Well Tara's path might not QUITE go down that path, but we'll see. Lol.

SubRosa: I'm so pleased that the story has left you with questions; much like Tara felt in that respect. and thank you kindly for your nits smile.gif I'm so used to writing for novels I didn't think! DOn't worry, It will be edited smile.gif

King Coin: Haha, Isn't her dad the sweetest guy? tongue.gif

mALX: Well, I wouldn't call him a necromancer EXACTLY, he is just more into the dark side of Mysticsism; although he does possess alot of necromancery behavior tongue.gif

McBadgere: I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and I'm glad you have questions i hope can be answered! tongue.gif

0.2 ~ Prologue

3E 413 ~ Farrun, High Rock

Jada held Tara in her arms, Tara’s tiny hand gripping her finger. Jada smiled, leaning to kiss her daughter on the forehead. She looked Tara in the eyes; those beautiful hazel eyes that made her heart flutter with pride. She never believed in a million eras that she would conceive something so… perfect.

Not before long, an anxious Riccard walked into their bedroom. He glared at Jada as she scurried over to the basinet, placing Tara softly inside.

“I thought I told you not to hold her?” He said. “We cannot have you getting too attached to her.”

Jada looked at him with a scowl. She walked over to the dresser a pulled out a blanket before going back to Tara and placing it on her gently.

“You cannot seriously believe that I’m going along with this sick plan of yours, Riccard.”

“There’s nothing sick about it, Jada,” He informed her with an eerie precision. “I’ve told you before…”

“Yes, you’ve told me, and it is utterly preposterous. ‘All the women in the Willow family line have the power to absorb the spirits of their foes into their own bodies to temporarily enhance their own magicka’; do you even understand how absurd that sounds?” Jada objected.

She walked over to the bedroom window, drawing the curtains eliminating any light from the room before heading to the bedroom door. Riccard moved slightly and blocked the doorway; blocking her exit.

“You know this is important to me, this is my life’s work!”

“NO Riccard! No! You have created this… fantasy over an unproven family legend! You can’t expect me to allow you to use our two month old daughter for your… experiments!”

Riccard slowly closed in on Jada. His silhouette in the darkened room was daunting.

“Exactly, Jada; She is OUR daughter. Not just yours. I have as much right to say what her purpose in life will be as you do.”

Jada looked at him in disbelief; horror, even.

“Who are you? What happened to the man I married?”

“I’m the same man my dear, nothing has changed.”

“YOU WANT TO KILL OUR DAUGHTER!” Jada bellowed.

Suddenly Tara unleashed an almighty scream as Jada’s outburst had woken her. Jada walked over to her daughter and picked her up, shushing her as she held her to her chest. Jada looked up at Riccard; hate in her eyes.

“You are not going to use our daughter for your experiment. That is the end of it.” She proclaimed.

She took Tara and headed past Riccard out of the bedroom. Riccard grabbed Jada’s arm; a grip Jada easily escaped from.

“You will realise sooner or later that this is the right thing to do.” He informed her in an educated fashion.

“And what if I leave? Take her away?”

Riccard smirked, “I think you know what’ll happen if you do that, don’t you?”

Jada glared at him one last time before walking downstairs. Riccard looked after her with the smirk remaining firmly in place.

3E 419 ~ Farrun, High Rock

“Riccard, please, come down and celebrate!” Jada begged. Riccard remained sat at his desk, uninterested in celebrating his daughters sixth birthday.

Jada knew he wasn’t interested, so she decided that instead of pestering him further she would just proceed back to the party.

“Mother! When is father coming down?” Tara asked as her mother approached the living room. Jada smiled.

“In a little while sweetie.” She replied, gently kissing her on the forehead.

Jada walked over to a small table by the fireplace where her friends Mildred and Aleksander were sat drinking ale. Jada sat on a seat between them.

“This is a great party Jada!” Mildred congratulated. “All the children seem to be having such fun!”

Jada looked over at Tara. Watching her play with her friends for some reason left a tear in her eye.

“Is Riccard not coming down?” Aleksander asked. Jada shook her head.

“No. He’s… busy.”

She suddenly stood up and gazed up at Riccard’s office. She had decided that she was going to make one last attempt to bring Riccard down.

“Actually, bear with me; I’ll be back in a minute.” She said to her friends before heading back upstairs, storming into Riccard’s study.

“You need to come down. Now.” Jada ordered her husband, who was still uninterested.

“The only birthday I’m interested in celebrating is the nineteenth. But you already know that.”

She did, indeed, know that; but she wasn’t happy. She was dying inside knowing what that date would mean for her daughter and being unable to stop it.

She decided to take action now, rather than later as the opportunity had only just arisen. She had always had some form of plan to at least help prevent the events that would occur on Tara's nineteeth birthday, but with Riccard constantly watching her every move, she never had the opportunity to go through with it; untill now.

She silently crept to Riccard’s supply cabinet, opening it slowly to prevent any creaks and took a piece of paper and a quill. She walked over to one of Riccard’s desks, unseen by the man himself, and began to write a note. She stared at Riccard as she folded the finished note, sealed it with wax and slowly edged out of the study and down the stairs.

Once she was downstairs she approached Aleksander and gave him the note.

“It is important that you open this note the day Tara turns nineteen, okay?”

“Um… okay. Sure, I can do that!” Aleksander replied, baffled and slightly confused.

Jada looked over to Tara and smiled. Her mind was slightly at peace. She knew she’d done all she could.

3E 432 ~ Farrun, High Rock

Tara woke up in a post blackout daze. She was lying on a table, she knew that much, but she was strapped down by something. Her arms, her legs and her waist held down by something tight. Her struggle to escape was inevitably futile. She wasn’t going anywhere and she didn’t know why.

However, she knew exactly where she was the moment her eyes began to adjust to her surroundings. The basement. W-what? What is this? Dad.

Despite the fact that she was basically held hostage in her own house, she found it odd how her kidnapper didn’t blindfold her. Surely they would want to hide their identity?

“Tara? Are you awake?”

Tara turned her head to see the blurry image of someone; a male someone. But she didn’t need a picture when the sound was perfect.

“Father?”

She saw the figure walk closer to her. The image becoming clearer as it approached.

“Of course it’s me, who else would it be?”

Tara looked at her captor in disbelief. She could slowly feel the blood drain from her face in fright.

“Father… what… what are you doing?”

“Tara, don’t be so stupid. You know exactly what’s going on here.”

Tara remained silent as her father walked over to a desk at the end of the table she was one. She was terrified. Mother, please…

“You read my journals? Yes?”

Tara said nothing.

“Answer me when I speak to you, Tara.”

Tara didn’t speak, she only nodded. Riccard skirted through some books on his desk as Tara silently wept on her prison. Eventually he spoke up.

“You are going to be a great thing, Tara Willow. You are going to be a revolution in the art of Mysticism.” He informed her, his tone cold and uncaring.

“B-but…”

Riccard looked directly at her. “But, what? Tara?”

“But… I don’t want to. Please father, don’t kill me!”

“Kill you?”

He pondered a moment and then came to a realisation.

“Oh, you mean the bodies under the floor boards? Oh, you misunderstand. Those were simply failed experiments who I managed to deposit souls into, but didn’t survive the ordeal. I have stored them until I find time to extract the souls back out again. That would be a terrible waste, otherwise.”

Tara watched in terror as Riccard pulled something out of a drawer; a black crystal of some kind.

“Is that why mother left? Because she disproved of what you were doing?” Tara asked.

“Partly. But that isn’t any on your concern.”

She watched as he opened a secret door under a rug. He then cast what she recognised as a Soul Trap spell, watching the black crystal glow after the casting. After putting the rug back over the trapdoor, Riccard began to approach Tara.

“Now what I’m about to cast is a spell I’ve created myself. It will stop your body from turning the soul you absorb into magicka. Instead it’ll cause your body, or more correctly your brain, to hold the soul in a permanent existence.”

“W-what? What are you talking about?”

“Basically, this spell will cause a soul to be trapped in your body until it is extracted again. In conclusion, you will be a human soul gem.”

“But… why me?” She asked; her tone pathetic and childish.

Riccard glared at her as if she should have known ‘why’ she had been chosen to fulfil his need.

“It is a well known fact that the Willow women have the skill to absorb souls and turn tem into magicka. Only I plan to change that theory. It’s a risky experiment; but you WERE born for this purpose after all.”

Born for this? Did… did mother know he was going to do this to me?

Tara panicked, realising the extent of her father’s madness. She tried desperately to escape her bonds as Riccard slowly placed his hand on her chest.

Riccard readied himself for his spell; his hand glowed a brilliant blue. He didn’t even have any words of comfort for his daughter. He didn’t even hear her beg for her life.
SubRosa
Now we are getting some answers. Including why Jada did not take Tara with her when she dumped Riccard. He is quite the controlling bastich. I take it he is from the Willow bloodline, not Jada?

And now we know that 19 is the magic age. How good to see that Jada at least left some insurance with Aleksander. But now that Tara is 19 (in the present) that makes a big ohmy.gif

Those were simply failed experiments who I managed to deposit souls into, but didn’t survive the ordeal. I have stored them until I find time to extract the souls back out again. That would be a terrible waste, otherwise.
This is so creepy on so many levels. Not in the least because here we see what it is store for Tara! Let us just hope that her Willow blood is all that dear old dad believes it to be.

All around, a very neat episode, with both dashes of the past to fill in the gaps in our understanding, as well as a continuance with the storyline in the present.

nits:
Her struggling to escapes was inevitable futile.
I understand what you meant here, but I think you may have had some words from a leftover edit in the end here?

She could slowly feel the blood drain from her face in fright
Your period at the end ran out on Tara. I do not blame it in the least, under the circumstances! ohmy.gif

You are going to {be} a great thing
Did you perhaps was a be where I inserted it above?
Acadian
What a beautiful job you do here of setting the scene for the very end of this episode. Wow! I’m fascinated and frightened by what is ahead for Tara. In fact you quite had me mesmerized throughout.

’But she didn’t need a picture when the sound was perfect.
“Father?”

Magnificently worded! smile.gif

’Riccard readied himself for his spell; his hand glowed a brilliant blue. He didn’t even have any words of comfort for his daughter. He didn’t even hear her beg for her life.’
A very powerful ending that fully delivers on showing Tara’s fear. ohmy.gif

Yikes. I'm hoping Aleksander shows up soon, but I'm not sure what he can to at this point. Edge of my seat.

Nits:

’She walked over to the dresser a pulled out a blanket before going back to Tara and placing it on her gently.'
I’m sure you want ‘and’ instead of ‘a’.

’Riccard moved slightly and blocked the doorway; blocking her exit. ‘
I would recommend not repeating variations of block in such close proximity. Perhaps simply: ‘Riccard moved slightly into the doorway, blocking her exit.’

’uninterested in celebrating his daughters sixth birthday.’
I recommend the possessive instead of plural form here: daughter’s.

“It is a well known fact that the Willow women have the skill to absorb souls and turn tem into magicka. ‘
‘Them’, of course.
Fawkes
QUOTE(Tábrasa @ Dec 15 2011, 01:59 PM) *

She watched as he opened a secret door under a rug. He then cast what she recognised as a Soul Trap spell, watching the black crystal glow after the casting. After putting the rug back over the trapdoor, Riccard began to approach Tara.

“Now what I’m about to cast is a spell I’ve created myself. It will stop your body from turning the soul you absorb into magicka. Instead it’ll cause your body, or more correctly your brain, to hold the soul in a permanent existence.”

“W-what? What are you talking about?”

“Basically, this spell will cause a soul to be trapped in your body until it is extracted again. In conclusion, you will be a human soul gem.”

“But… why me?” She asked; her tone pathetic and childish.

Riccard glared at her as if she should have known ‘why’ she had been chosen to fulfil his need.

“It is a well known fact that the Willow women have the skill to absorb souls and turn tem into magicka. Only I plan to change that theory. It’s a risky experiment; but you WERE born for this purpose after all.”

Born for this? Did… did mother know he was going to do this to me?

Tara panicked, realising the extent of her father’s madness. She tried desperately to escape her bonds as Riccard slowly placed his hand on her chest.

Riccard readied himself for his spell; his hand glowed a brilliant blue. He didn’t even have any words of comfort for his daughter. He didn’t even hear her beg for her life.

Holy! Really well written!
My heart is actually pounding in my chest, I know what's going to happen, but I can just imagine how Tara must feel right now, helpless, while her own father is far gone into madness.
At the same time I feel Riccard feeling really excited, years of planning, research, and experimentation finally coming to a end, and he will see the fruits of his labor.

Also, I want to punch Riccard so bad!
McBadgere
Blimey...He really is a lovely chap...I know several chaps who would have liked a word with him... biggrin.gif ...

Really excellenly done...*Applauds*...I love your style of writing, and the imagination is - if a little dark biggrin.gif - Brilliant...

The section with the mother and baby is brilliant, then she gets older and more brilliance and then the damed scary bit at the end...

I'm looking forward to seeing where it all goes and how the extra soul does stuff...And indeed how she gets away from the odious little chap... kvright.gif ...
King Coin
“We cannot have you getting too attached to her.”]
What the…?

“Who are you? What happened to the man I married?”
I was thinking something vaguely similar.

The note, I wonder what it is?

This is inadequate, but her father is SICK.

I too am wondering what happened to Aleksander. That was a long time to hold onto a note. And how could Jana just leave her daughter with him? What sort of power did he hold over her?

Great story so far!

mALX
Holy Cow, this is like watching a horror movie! Awesome Write!!
Grits
Very exciting. I'm still on the edge of my seat!

“I thought I told you not to hold her?” He said. “We cannot have you getting too attached to her.”

This is so sad. At this point I'm just as mad at Jana for leaving Tara with Riccard! I like how you're letting the details come out slowly, it makes me curious for more. smile.gif
Athynae
Hey McB you bring your chaps and I'll call up some of my "Friends in low places" and we'll introduce them to our friend Riccard here, maybe they'll think of something more appropriate to use that table for, as well as the area under the floor boards!!!

Awesome write my dear, just awesome. And dark yes, but knowing that Tara survives makes it a little less horrific.

Where is Alexsander? and what about the note? Edge of my seat here!!!

nits:

Typically I don't do this as the "nits" I notice are noted before hand so there is no need for me to offer my two cents. Anyway, just trying to help, as the story is quite remarkable.

“Is that why mother left? Because she disproved of what you were doing?” Tara asked.
I think what you want here is "disapproval" instead of disproved. Disproved means she proved something false, disapproval means she did not approve of what he was doing.

Keep up the great work, I am thoroughly enjoying the story!!!
Tábrasa
SubRosa: Thank you so much for reading smile.gif As to you're assumption that Riccard is the Willow, I wanted to leave it ambiguous as to which parent is the origional Willow; despite the fact that I know which it is! Lol. Thank you for the compliments and the nits smile.gif

Acadian: Thank you so much for the comliments! I'm glad you enjoyed my wording of the picture/sound quote smile.gif I'm so thrilled that you are enjoying the story smile.gif

Fawkes: Wow, thank you! Your comment about that segemnt was a huge compliment! I'm so glad i can help the readers feel for Tara smile.gif

McBadgere: Thank you so much for the compliments! I'm glad you're enjoying the dark tone to the Prologue smile.gif

King Coin: I'm so thrilled that Riccard's behaviour leave you pondering about him. And no, calling him sick was totally NOT inadequate; I'm sure many feel the same tongue.gif

mALX: Haha, thank you! I'm happy my writing passes off some kind of emotion to my readers smile.gif

Grits: I'm so glad you are enoying the story! Even though i wrote the words, i too felt for Jada when she was scolding for loving her child.

Athynae: Thank you! Yes, Tara's story does begin quite dark, and hopefully once Willow is intorduced it'll bring more cheer to our dear Bretons otherwise unlucky life tongue.gif Thank you for the nits smile.gif

0.3 ~ Prologue

3E 432 ~ Farrun, High Rock

The pain was unbearable; like a spark spell attacking every inch on humanity she had inside of her. Tara couldn’t even scream; the pain forced the scream into a silent whelp. A single tear strolled faintly down her cheek.

The spell lasted at least ten minutes as Tara has watched the clock in the basement as she suffered her torment. Each minute slowly dragging and painfully as she had felt.

After a what felt like an hour, she could feel something emerging slowly from within her as the spell appeared to be drawing to a close due to the glow of Riccard’s hand beginning to soften from a harsh light to a tiny shimmer. It felt like something was crawling from inside her chest, slowly reaching upwards, eventually into her brain. Her head began to violently tingle, before eventually settling down. It felt heavy.

Riccard’s spell began to ease, and then eventually cease. He stared at her in shock, a smile on his face.

“I’ve done it…” He mumbled to himself.

Tara stared at her father. He was motionless, as was she. She felt strange, yet in extreme pain. It felt like something was rummaging through her brain very softly, but making enough noise to be easily detected. She didn’t know what to do; she was exhausted.

“This is it Tara. We’ve done it. My life’s work, accomplished. Now all that’s left to do is…”

“RICCARD!?”

Riccard moved his head towards the basement door. Aleksander stood sturdily with a sword drawn, his eyes wide in horror at what he was witnessing. In Aleksander’s eyes all he could see was Tara tied to a table with Riccard groping her chest. He may have read the situation wrong; but it was enough.

“Riccard, you get away from her. NOW.” He demanded. Riccard didn’t move. Instead he stared at Tara with intense glee.

“Aleksander, I’ve done it! I’ve been waiting nineteen years but I’ve done it! Her body is mine!”

Aleksander glared at him, gripping his sword tighter; anger fuelling the adrenaline he had gained. He thought Riccard was his friend; a good man. There was no way he had prepared himself for this.

“You sick monster!”

Almost instantaneously Aleksander sped toward Riccard and plunged his sword into his abdomen. He held Riccard in that position whilst Riccard spoke his last words.

“You don’t know what you’ve done! I… wasn’t finished…”

Riccard looked at Tara before falling off Aleksander’s sword with an almighty thud. Neither Tara or Aleksander felt any pity. H-he... he had it coming…I’m sorry it had to come to this father…

Aleksander stared and Riccard, then spat on his corpse. Tara felt an ounce of pity for her father at that point. To Aleksander, Riccard was molesting his daughter; but Tara knew the truth. Whether she would tell the truth was a different story.

All she knew now was that it was over.

Aleksander held Tara by the waist, supporting her as he led her to his and Mildred’s house.

“I don’t understand why he would do such a thing. He was such a well respected man,” Aleksander pondered. Tara remained silent. Aleksander looked at her. “I don’t want you going back to that house. You’re coming to stay with Mildred and me.”

Tara looked at him and smiled.

“Thank you.”

“Don’t worry, Tara. You need SOMEWHERE to live.”

“N-no I mean, thank you, for helping me,” She said. “I thought I was going to…”

“You thought you were going to, what?” Aleksander asked. She was going to reveal that she thought she was going to die, but Tara remembered that she wasn’t going to tell the truth, so she remained silent.

They continued to walk as Tara began to notice many residents of Farrun staring at her. She looked at the floor and refused to acknowledge them; despite the fact that she could still feel their eyes boring into her.

“Anyway,” Aleksander started, looking at Tara. “You have your mother to thank, not me.”

Tara’s eyes shot a look at Aleksander with a small smile etched onto her lips. My mother?

“She wrote me a note on your sixth birthday ordering me to keep an eye on you on your nineteenth birthday. I just wish I hadn’t lost sight of you at the party. Maybe I could have stopped this sooner and spared the bloodshed…”

Mother DID know this was going to happen! Why did she let father keep me if she knew what he was planning?

Tara looked into Aleksander’s eyes and smiled; holding him closer as he supported her.

“Thank you, Aleksander…”

3E 433 ~ Farrun, High Rock

“Tara? Can you hear me?”

Tara woke up, startled at the sudden voice she heard in her ear. She looked around the room. No sign of anyone. She put her head back down on the pillow.

“Tara! Don’t ignore me, rude-o.”

Tara shot up again, her eyes darting across the room.

“H-hello?”

“Hello! No, wait, you know I’m here. Doofus.”

Tara jumped out of bed and spun, looking behind her for the speaker.

“Who… who are you?”

“Me? I could tell you my name… but it’s stupidly long. Call me what ever you want.”

“Who?”

“ME!”

“Who’s ‘me’!?”

“OH! Sorry. I’ve kinda been in a dormant state since daddy dearest did his wacky mumbo jumbo spirit trap thing. That was cool… although maybe not for you”

Tara panicked. She was too freaked out, even for words, so she did the only thing that made sense to her. She screamed and ran to her bedroom door to seek Aleksander and Mildred’s aide; but halted as she caught her reflection in her bedroom window.

She saw something in her image, a girl stood closely behind her. Her body was nude and partly misty. It looked as if half of her body was growing from Tara’s back as the Red-headed girl looked over Tara’s shoulder. Tara smiled. Even though it was strange and completely, undoubtedly and unexplainably petrifying, it was quite beautiful.

Tara relaxed as she gazed into the eyes of the Redhead.

“Where did you come from?”

“Well before I died I used to be a Spellsword from Bravil, then I took an arrow to the knee… and the eye. I think it was the eye shot that did it.”

Tara giggled. Even though she was completely in shock about the current situation, it felt somewhat comfortable; almost like the Redhead was a part of her. Part of her soul.

“That sounds pretty painful.”

“Ah, I’m over it. I’m sure I’ll get my own back one day.”

Tara continued to look at hers and the Redhead’s reflection. An awkward silence ensued; but only for a mere moment.

“So I guess I’m going to be sticking around then, huh?”

“Why do you assume that?”

“Well Mister Wacko created a spell which would leave a spirit trapped inside your body, right?”

“Right, but with the soul eventually being put into an enchantment. Who knows how long you’ll be with me.”

Tara then suddenly remembered something. Aleksander and saved her BEFORE Riccard completed the spell. For all she knew, the Redhead could be trapped inside her forever. She didn’t know how the spell worked, so that was all she could assume.

“Well if we’re going to be soul mates I’m going to have a cool nickname or something.”

"Well, you're very outspoken considering you've only just come round." Tara joked.

"I may have only just come out, but I HAVE been watching you, you know!" She revealed. "But that's beside's the major issue here. Are you gonna give me a super cool name or what?"

“…Like what?” Tara replied, surprisingly calm

“Um… I don’t know… how about Phoenix?”

“Really?” Tara questioned. “You don’t really look like a Phoenix to me.”

“Oh… Mental slap in the face right there. I could easily pass for a Phoenix.”

“Really?”

The Redhead looked disappointed. The name clearly had meant a lot to her for some reason.

“You need a name which I feel comfortable saying all the time. You ARE a part of me, remember…”

Suddenly, with that thought in mind, Tara had the perfect name for her new friend.

“How about Willow?”

“Willow? Your surname?”

“Yeah sure, that way you will always be associated with me. We will always come as a package deal. So?”

She thought for a while, pondering the thought of having such a tree-like name. It was very tough and it certainly wasn’t very intimidating; but nether the less, she loved it.

“Alright,” Willow smiled. “Willow it is.”

Tara nodded, and then smiled with her. Despite everything, she was happy. She grabbed a seat and sat looking into the mirror.

“So, Willow, why don’t you tell me a bit about yourself?”

Tara knew, somehow, that this was going to be the start of something wonderful.
Acadian
What a horrible experience! Then saved by Aleksander.

Then,

Then. . .

Then. . .

WILLOW! Even though I sort of knew what was going to happen, this was soooo cool! I love how you introduced her and everything about her so far! I’m fully with you, Tara, this is going to be so much fun! I love it! biggrin.gif

Nits:

Okay, the biggest nit here is what we call headhopping. This story is clearly intended to be from Tara’s perspective, so you need to limit it to telling us only things that Tara knows or feels. Like this:
’After what felt like an hour, she could feel something emerging slowly from within her’

In the following two passages, you are clearly inside Aleksander’s head, not Tara’s:
’In Aleksander’s eyes all he could see was Tara tied to a table with Riccard groping her chest.’
’Aleksander glared at him, gripping his sword tighter; anger fuelling the adrenaline he had gained. He thought Riccard was his friend; a good man. There was no way he had prepared himself for this.’

And finally here, you are inside the heads of Tara and Aleksander at the same time:
’Neither Tara or Aleksander felt any pity. ‘

It takes some creativity to get around these things. For example in the last example, Alek could have said he felt no pity and Tara could have thought to herself that she felt the same way. Or Tara could have shared her thoughts with us that she felt no pity and judging by the hard look in Alek’s eyes imagined that he felt the same. When in Tara’s head, you always have to ask yourself, how would she know this?

Okay, a couple tiny mundane nits:

’The spell lasted at least ten minutes as Tara has watched the clock in the basement as she suffered her torment.’
Tense hopping here. The fix is as simple as going to 'had'.

’Aleksander stared and Riccard, then spat on his corpse.’
I'm sure you wanted 'at' here.
McBadgere
*Applauds*... biggrin.gif ...

then I took an arrow to the knee

I have to say, I chickened out of it the other day...So I applaud and bow to you for it... biggrin.gif ...

Well, he got what was coming to him didn't he?...

The only nit I can say about that...From a fan of fights is that unless the spell took a hell of a lot from Riccard or Aleksander is also a spellsword, it seemed a teensy too easy...Not a complaint and I suspect that is just me being a git... biggrin.gif ...Just an observation...

An most excellent write!!...Loving it...

And the world really doesn't have enough naked redheaded mist-women... biggrin.gif ...

Stop now Robert...You'll go too far...Again...

Awww...

Nice one... biggrin.gif ...
jack cloudy
Oh, this is interesting. I'm not sure where it is going, but it's still the prologue so I'll just wait and see. So with that said, on to some more specific comments.

I'm honestly surprised that Riccard was a 'respected man' and a 'good friend'. I probably just missed the part where it is explained, but my image of him was that of a recluse at least. You know, the guy who spends all day in the basement doing his experiments, doesn't look after his own image (and hygiëne) and is generally obviously nutters. I guess he was better at the double-life than I expected.

As for the ease with which Aleksander killed him, well I find that convincing enough, apart from how quick Aleksander's mind switched from 'friend and nice guy' to 'monster, kill it kill it'. The way I see it, Riccard was in full blown muhahaha evil psycho monologue-mode. He probably didn't even notice the sword till it was making holes in his intestines.
liliandra nadiar
Nice chapter, 'poor' Riccard. Compromising positon and his first words didn't help at all. evillol.gif

Still curious about Jada. Even if, from what I gathered, she knew Tara was safe until she turned 19 I'm curious why she left her with him even for that long.

Some nits. You have some odd tense usage at some points.
She screamed and ran to her bedroom door to seek Aleksander and Mildred’s aide; but halted as she caught her reflection in her bedroom window.
You have her action in the past tense, but interrupt it before it happens. Maybe instead use:
She was about to scream and run to her bedroom door to seek Aleksander and Mildred’s aide; but halted as she caught her reflection in her bedroom window.

Also you have Willow 'named' before she offically gets her name, not a nit per-say, but it takes things from the naming a few lines later.
SubRosa
Yay for Aleksander! Too bad he had not spitted Riccard like a pig a decade earlier.

I loved the description of the nude, misty red-headed girl growing out of Tara's back in the mirror.

then I took an arrow to the knee
Is this a Skyrim fic now? wink.gif Seriously, it is nice to see someone poking fun at the silliness in these games. Sometimes it is just impossible to resist.

So now we get to meet the second half of our dynamic duo. I am wondering how far you are going to take the bond between the two women? Will Willow be just a voice in Tara's head, or more? For example, she said she had been a spellsword. Might Willow then be able to cast spells from her piggy-backed position in Tara's body?
King Coin
ohmy.gif
If only Aleksander had arrived but a little sooner.
Though I am surprised he remembered the note from thirteen years prior.

Willow’s got a lot of personality. laugh.gif I’m interested in what they are going to chat about now. Not everybody has their personal ghost to chat with. Well I suppose some of the Dunmer might...
mALX
I have to agree, even knowing Willow would soon pop up - very cool the way you carried it off !! Great Write !!
Tábrasa
mALX: Thank you so much! I'm so happy you're reading smile.gif

King Coin: Haha i'm happy that you have lots of things to wonder about tongue.gif Yes, Willow i a very different character to Tara; that's part of her charm i suppose!

SubRosa: Haha yes, it is a shame, but Jada gave his specific instructions to follow; Instructions we may discover at some point. I'm pleased you like the description of Willow. I've always had the image so clear in my head of her smile.gif

liliandra nadiar: Haha do not worry, all your queries will be explains; just not all right away tongue.gif Thank you for the suggestion with the nit smile.gif I'll go about editing it soon.

jack cloudy: Nope, you didn't miss anything, but i'm pleased you had your own image of what Riccard was like; hopefully future chapters will help by giving you answers you seek smile.gif

McBadgere: No, you are not being a git! haha, you are allowed your opinion. My only answer to that is that Riccard was so caught up in his success that he failed to noticed Alek's sword; but that is just one of many theories tongue.gif haha

Acadian: I am so thirilled by your reaction! I know, this IS going to be fun tongue.gif Thank you for the nits. I will edit them when i do an appropriate re-write with less head chopping. haha tongue.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: Might I just apologize for the lack of an update recently, but from this point on the journal will be updated every Thursday. Thank you for your support smile.gif

1.1 ~ Beginnings

Willow
Unknown Era ~ Bravil

I stood at the Statue of the Lucky Lady of Bravil. I hadn’t been to my hometown in over three years, nor was I planning to stay there long. The university had sent me on a mission to discover the identity of a rogue mage that was rumoured to be hiding out, or rather blending in, at the Bravil mages guild.

I took to tradition, kissing the statue for luck; I felt stupid, but I didn’t want to offend anyone. I stared at the statue a little while longer expecting to feel a burst of luck or whatever, but nothing; not even a spark.

I sighed and headed toward the guild. I grabbed the paper holding my mission brief from my knapsack, reading it thoroughly to avoid any misdirection. As usual, everything was on par.

Walking to the guild I noticed something. Behind the chapel I saw something. A human something.

A child.

The child was huddled behind a tree; probably under the impression that they were hidden. The child looked distraught, the most awfully wailing sound screeching from their mouth. It was wearing scraggy looking clothes and a overly large cap; quite clearly your average runaway.

I stopped and stared a while. I wanted to approach and see whether or not this child needed my help. I couldn’t be entirely sure. It may have just been a bust up with the parents and the child needed to blow off some steam.

Yet it could have been something serious.

Against my better judgement I decided to see if the child was okay. I approached carefully, not wanting to alarm them. The child could have been feral.

“Hey, are you okay?” I asked. I didn’t get a reply, so I stepped closer. Eventually I was directly in front of the child. I knelt in front of the child.

“Look whatever you’re afraid of it’s okay. Tell me what’s wrong.” I smiled. “I don’t bite very hard.”

The child slowly looked up at me. It was evident that they were only young; probably around the sixes or sevens. Once the child met their eyes with mine they leapt at me with an almighty embrace, an embrace that startled me to the point of my bottom colliding with the ground.

“What’s your name?” I asked the child.

“...a....er” I heard the child mumble, although I thought I could make out the name.

“Palmer?” I asked. After a few short seconds the child nodded. With Palmer being a boy’s name, I managed to work out that the child was of the male variety. I stood up.

“Right then Palmer,” I reached out my hand. “Feel like solving a mystery with me? We can talk on the way?”

Palmer was hesitant at first, but he eventually took my hand. Once we were joined I leaded on to the mages guild, interacting in conversation with Palmer on the way.

“So, are you going to tell me what you were doing?” I asked.

Palmer was silent for a moment, but he eventually told me.

“I ran away.”

“Well yes, I can see that, but what are you doing in Bravil? Do you have family here?”

Palmer shook his head. I’ll admit it, I was a little concerned. I was even intrigued by the fact that he clung to me, a total stranger, with such trust that anyone who saw us would think he was my child. But despite that I knew that once we got to the guild I would have to leave him there. I knew that someone there would be able to help him.

Hopefully.

Tara
3E 433 ~ Farrun, High Rock

“I-is that it? You don’t have any more?” Tara asked Willow, disappointed at the sudden halt of her story.

“Sorry, but I’ve been dead a long time. Things tend to be forgotten post-mortem.”

Suddenly Tara heard her name being called by Mildred from downstairs. She looked at her door, then back at the mirror, only to see that Willow's reflection had vanished. She shrugged it off with a mild disappointment and headed downstairs.

Tara hopped into the kitchen where Mildred was sealing a letter. Once she saw Tara she handed the letter to her.

“I need to you take this over to Karliah at the guild.” She instructed with a smile.

Tara smiled back and took the letter, kissing Mildred on the cheek before heading out the door.

Tara walked through the city of Farrun, noticing her house on the way. She stopped for a moment to look at it.

A lot of bad memories had taken place there. She found out what kind of a man her father was and that scarred her for life.

She shook off the emotion she felt and headed toward the guild; but before she even had a chance to approach the guild, Karliah walked out of the main entrance door; almost colliding with Tara.

“OH TARA! I’m sorry!” Karliah apologized.

“It’s fine, don’t worry.” Tara assured her as they both laughed it off. Karliah began to walk away but Tara managed to stop her in time.

“Actually Karliah I came to see you.”

Karliah raised her eyebrows as Tara handed her the note. She carefully opened it and read the contents.

“Oh,” Karliah started. She looked at Tara and smiled sympathetically. “It is only the menu draft for your father’s memorial on Friday.”

Karliah looked distressed. If only she knew...

“I still can’t believe that a year ago your father was taken from us by those assassins.” Karliah mourned.

Tara nodded in false agreement. After Aleksander had done what he did he went back to the house in the dead of night and removed the bodies, how he did it was a miracle, and the following morning alerted the guard about witnessing a ‘shadowy looking man’ entering Riccard’s house during the night, and ever since then Farrun had believed that he was murdered by assassins. A good cover which resulted in a guilty conscience.

“Your father was a wonderful guild head. It’s no wonder he got rather anxious and reclusive near his final days. He probably knew that someone was after him. If only he had said something...”

Tara felt bad about the fact that everyone had this perfect image of her father. It’s true that he was well respected and well liked; but he had his dark side.

Maybe it wasn’t even a dark side? Maybe he was just misunderstood...

Whatever theories Tara may have come up with in her mind at the end of the day her father was a killer. She couldn’t and wouldn’t forget that.

Tara said her goodbyes to Karliah and headed back home to Mildred and Aleksander, but again caught a glimpse of her childhood home on her travels. She stopped and stared intensely and the scene of her horror. She wondered and pondered about what was really going through her father's mind that day, and she knew that the house had the answers she needed. There were alot of things that her father said that she didn’t understand, things that she wanted to understand.

The next thing she knew she was stood in the hallway of her family home.

She didn’t even have time to think as she found herself heading to the basement. She opened the basement door and scurried down the steps. Nothing had changed. All of her father's apparatus was still intact. His book’s, his ingredients; her torture table.

She slowly approached the lab. She could feel something burning within her. Anger? Hate? Sadness? She wasn’t sure. All the emotions she felt that day came flooding back hard and fast, forcing itself into her weakening calm demeanour. Before she knew what to think she screamed, casting an incredible shock spell that knocked the majority of her father’s things onto the wooden floor.

With her remaining strength she sprinted to the things still standing and threw them at the walls. When there was nothing left to throw and no more words to scream she collapsed in tears, breaking down; the break down her body had craved since the incident.

Then she noticed something. She looked down to see an envelope hidden in the floorboards by his desk, or rather where his desk used to be. She squeezed her fingers through the floorboards and slowly pulled out the envelope. It had her name on it and it was written in her father's writing. A part of her wanted to open it; yet another part of her wanted to burn it.

But she listened to her head and opened the letter. It was marked as the day of her birth. The date Riccard must have written the letter.

Dearest Tara.

If you have found this letter, the chances are I have passed on as I would never let you in the basement had I been alive.

I understand that you have a lot of questions that I simply cannot answer. All I need to say is that I’m sorry. Whereas, and this may sound selfish of me, I do not regret the experiment I will no doubt perform, I do regret that you were specifically born for this fate.

I’m sorry for the pain I will eventually put you through and I’m sorry for you having this perception of me as an evil man.

But I have a dream, and I wasn’t ready to give up on that dream.

Despite everything I put you through I DO love you, I just wouldn’t allow myself to show it for reasons you couldn’t possibly understand.

I knew you were strong enough to survive this and I am so glad that you have.

I’m proud of you.

I’m sorry.

The letter baffled her to new heights. She didn’t know what to think. She was confused at his reason for the letter. He regretted hurting her but he didn’t regret performing the experiment. She was confused, angry and on the verge of another breakdown.

But she understood. Strangely she understood completely how her father felt. She thought long and hard but she knew that what her father had written was the truth. She knew. Despite what he’d done and how he’d treated her he was still her father.

As she thought, she felt something, something in the air. It was comforting and warm. She’d never felt like this before. She never felt safe and secure. And as the feeling began to intensify and make her mood grow more content, she uttered the words she never thought she would utter in a million years.

“I forgive you, father...”
Athynae
Nice segment Tabrasa. I really liked the peek at Willow.

The child could have been feral.

Funny this should come up just now, but aren't they all at some point in their life, just a thought.

Tara's experience in the basement was intense, deeply emotional and also realistic, excellent job.

Keep it up, great so far.
Acadian
What a neat glimpse of ancient history from Willow’s past! I wonder what became of Palmer? And I see Willow was/is a mage.

I loved how you presented the coverup of Tara’s father’s death.

Her scene in the basement, including reading the note, was very poignant and you described her confusion and anger very well. Whether or not her father deserves forgiveness or not, I’m glad to see that Tara found a touch of peace regarding her memories of him.

Nits:
’She shook of the emotion she felt and headed toward the guild; ‘
Here, you want ‘off’.

’Before she knew what to thing she screamed, ‘
‘Think’?

’With her remaining strength he sprinted to the things still standing and threw them at the walls. ‘
I think it is Tara doing the sprinting so you want ‘she’.
mALX
QUOTE(Athynae @ Jan 11 2012, 09:26 PM) *

Nice segment Tabrasa. I really liked the peek at Willow.

The child could have been feral.

Funny this should come up just now, but aren't they all at some point in their life, just a thought.

Tara's experience in the basement was intense, deeply emotional and also realistic, excellent job.

Keep it up, great so far.

Anyone who thinks that has obviously been at the grocery store when I came in with my brood of banshees, lol.

Tabrasa - I'll have to come back to read this another day, battling a migraine right now at the end of a day from H. embarrased.gif
Athynae
um, not necessarily, remember mALX I have my own litter.
mALX
QUOTE(Athynae @ Jan 11 2012, 09:34 PM) *

um, not necessarily, remember mALX I have my own litter.

They couldn't possibly behave as badly as mine, most of Maxical's mis-adventures in my story were taken from my own children's bios, lol.
Athynae
Imagine if you will, just for a moment, a five blade ceiling fan, on high, and a young boy about 3 with a hand full of tennis balls.

Finally result, broken glass in front door, two pictures on the wall broken, and for him who was playing "pitch" a bloody nose because the ball was too fast to move, as well as being too fast for me to get to him from the kitchen 20 feet away.
mALX
QUOTE(Athynae @ Jan 11 2012, 09:46 PM) *

Imagine if you will, just for a moment, a five blade ceiling fan, on high, and a young boy about 3 with a hand full of tennis balls.

Finally result, broken glass in front door, two pictures on the wall broken, and for him who was playing "pitch" a bloody nose because the ball was too fast to move, as well as being too fast for me to get to him from the kitchen 20 feet away.

ROFL! Now you are getting into things my husband does.

Tabrasa wub.gif , I promise I'll quit spamming your thread till I get back here to read my Tara and Willow fix, I'm sorry embarrased.gif
Athynae
Sorry Tabrasa, we'll go play in the Coffee Shop now.
McBadgere
*Tuts*...Be'ave you two!...Blimey!... biggrin.gif ...

Loved the chapter...I was impressed how much different the Willow section felt...It was more confident, assured somehow...'Cause it was a different person and all... biggrin.gif ...

Brilliant...I likes Willow... tongue.gif ...

And Tara forgave her father...Well, she's a better man than I am I tell you!... biggrin.gif ...Erm... huh.gif ...

Well done!!...Nice one!!... biggrin.gif ...
SubRosa
A moving start, giving us a peek into Willow's past. Also not just one mystery, but two. Who is this Palmer? And who is the rogue mage Willow was sent to hunt? I wonder if we will be seeing either of them again later in the tale?

Some interesting developments concerning her father. He was the guild leader in Farrun? Oh my. Aleksander was quite resourceful indeed, to get rid of the bodies, then concoct the story about the assassin. Then again, perhaps Aleksander knows a necromancer who needs a few bodies? wink.gif ohmy.gif

Then finally an after death confrontation with her father, via his letter. The entire scene of Tara's entire return to the basement was very cathartic. But the letter is the final, and most important, piece of that. She has quite a warm heart, to forgive her father for what he did to her. Certainly doing so is healthier then holding on to hate and recrimination beyond the grave though.

So now it seems the only thread left dangling is the fate of Tara's mother. And of course Willow, and all the questions she raises.

nits:
so i stepped closer
You will want to capitalize that I.

Once the child met their eyes with mind
I am thinking you meant mine?

only to see that Willow{'}s reflection has vanished.
You should have an apostrophe in Willow's above, and that ought to be had.

She found out what kind of a man her father was and that scarred her for like.
For life, I am sure.

She wondered and pondered about what was really going through her father{'}s mind that day
You missed the apostrophe in father's above.

All of her father{'s} apparatus was still intact. His book’s,
And you missed both the apostrophe and trailing s in father's. I think it slipped into books at the end.

With her remaining strength he sprinted to the things still standing and threw them at the walls.
I am sure you meant she, unless there is something about Tara we do not know... wink.gif

It had her name on it and it was written in her father{'}s writing
Another missed apostrophe above.

I would never let you in the basement had i been alive.
And another missed capitalization of I.

for reasons you couldn’t possible understand
possibly
mALX

First: Loved the glimpse into some background on Willow!

Tara walked through the city of Farrun, noticing her house on the way. She stopped for a moment to look at it. A lot of bad memories had taken place there. She found out what kind of a man her father was and that scarred her for like.

...but again caught a glimpse of her childhood home on her travels. She stopped and stared intensely and the scene of her horror. She wondered and pondered about what was really going through her fathers mind that day, and she knew that the house had the answers she needed. There were alot of things that her father said that she didn’t understand, things that she wanted to understand.

Karliah looked distressed. If only she knew...

What powerful moments you gave the reader in these quoted lines - knowing what happened to her in that house we feel (with her) what Tara must be feeling at these moments; and again with Tara's inner thoughts as Karliah was sympathizing with her.

These were really great ways to remind us of what Tara had been through and draw us into how it is still affecting her now.

The fact that she has to hear him praised and revered knowing what she does - and put on a false front of agreement - you absolutely ROCKED this chapter in the use of touches such as these to completely immerse us in Tara's position - Awesome job !!

I found myself wanting to yell, "Don't go in the basement!" when Tara entered the house, but knew she would be drawn to because she was sure that answer to why would be found there.

She slowly approached the lab. She could feel something burning within her. Anger? Hate? Sadness? She wasn’t sure. All the emotions she felt that day came flooding back hard and fast, forcing itself into her weakening calm demeanour. Before she knew what to thing she screamed, casting an incredible shock spell that knocked the majority of her father’s things onto the wooden floor.

With her remaining strength he sprinted to the things still standing and threw them at the walls. When there was nothing left to throw and no more words to scream she collapsed in tears, breaking down; the break down her body had craved since the incident.

This was a gut-wrenching, emotional scene - very hard to accomplish, but you nailed it perfectly! Very powerfully done, written so well that the reader could easily visualize it as if we were present and witnessed it ourselves - Awesome job!

The Letter:

If I was Tara reading that letter, I'd have to go find Riccard and kill him all over again - how easy and simply he can dismiss what he plans to do to her, dismissing how it will affect her - Oddly, it had the opposite effect on her, lol.

Despite what he’d done and how he’d treated her he was still her father.

Not really, not when he admits he created her specifically for an experiment and didn't care how that experiment would affect her - that is sperm donation for research. The fact that his sperm was used is the only connection he has to fatherhood, especially when we've read how he treated her growing up.

My thoughts:

For some reason I wondered if it was her mother's warmth and comfort she was feeling - and she probably was safe now that Riccard was dead.

I'm not sure that I wouldn't have rather seen her struggle to come to that forgiveness, probably because I'm sure you would have brought us through it as well as you did Tara's thoughts in this chapter.

Coming as quickly as it did leaves me wondering if she considers herself in the same mindframe her father did when he created her specifically for/raised her as: (worthless except as a useful tool to his experiments regardless of how it affected anyone else)

It feels like she is muting her own worth just like her father did, and minimizing the evil of what he was.

I have to agree with McB, you showed a tremendous ability in doing two completely different characters in the same chapter - that is talent!

I also have to agree with SubRosa here:

Who is this Palmer? And who is the rogue mage Willow was sent to hunt? I wonder if we will be seeing either of them again later in the tale?

Agreed, was wondering the exact same thing and couldn't have phrased it better!

I'm so glad I waited, didn't try to read this while fighting off that migraine. Reading then would not have done justice to the Awesome write you gave us on this chapter.

King Coin
the most awfully wailing sound screeching from their mouth.
At that, I thought that the child was a ghost. That was a neat intro though, even though you decided to save the rest for later.

At first I was unhappy with the ‘assassins killed the father’ cover story, but I’ve reconsidered and I think that’s better than ‘father was raping his daughter so I ran him through with my sword.’

What a bizarre letter. Maybe that’s enough for Tara, but I still think he’s evil. Perhaps he meant it when he wrote it, but that was all gone during Tara’s life.
Tábrasa
Athynae: Thank you. There will be more about Willow's past as the story progresses, But it will be spread over the course of the tale. Thank you about you thoughts of the basement scene. It has recieved a mixed response, but i'm glad you have such a positive opinion with regards to it smile.gif

Acadian: Thank you so much with your compliments! I'm glad you enjoyed the basement scene! It was emotional to write as Tara has been through so much, but I'm glad it came across well and you liked it smile.gif Thanks for the nits smile.gif

mALX: Wow! Thank you so much for your interesting thoughts about Tara willingness to forgive her father! Your thoughts about her feeling the memory of her mothers presence rather than that of her fathers was interesting. I'm am neither going to correct or verify this as i love that the story inspires so many therories and thought. Thank you so much smile.gif

McBadgere: I'm glad you feel thie difference between the two characters! I hope the writing styles were easy and fun to pick up! Thank you for your kind words smile.gif

SubRosa: I'm glad you picked up on Tara's naturally warm demeaner. She's had a tought life, but the fact she can forgive something so horrifying gives her alot of depth, which i hope comes across! Thank you for the nits smile.gif

King Coin: I do very much think that Riccard meant what he wrote when he wrote it, but it is very hard to decipher whether or not his conscience was still there during the actual act of the soulf transfer. Thank you for your thoughts smile.gif

A quick note: I apologize for the lack of an update. As i previously stated there would be an update every thursday, but with my current schedule it is difficult to keep track of Tara's story! But i will update as quickly as i can, and i thank you for your patience and your comments smile.gif

1.2 Beginnings

After what felt like the longest year she had ever endured, it was the day of Tara’s twentieth birthday. Did she feel like celebrating? No. The memory of her last birthday was still burned into her mind; a scar that wouldn’t fade with time; despite her forgiving actions the previous day.

She sat at the dining table with Aleksander and, by the look of his expression; he didn’t feel like celebrating either.

Mildred was in the kitchen preparing Tara’s birthday dinner, singing out of tune as she cooked. Tara used Mildred’s singing as an excuse to spark a conversation with Aleksander.

“I think this dinner is going to be delicious, even though I HAD told Mildred I didn’t want a fuss.”

Aleksander looked up at Tara, a faint smile etching across his face.

“You know what she’s like. No means yes.” He joked.

Tara laughed, despite the fact that Aleksander’s joke wasn’t particularly funny.

“He need’s cheering up, pronto.” Willow suggested, looking at Tara through her reflection in a spoon.

I know, he’s probably feeling worse than I am. He killed his best friend, that’s got to do stuff to you…, Tara replied in thought.

There was a moment of silence before Willow spoke again.

“I still find it strange that Aleksander remembered the note he said your mother gave him after, what? Thirteen years?”

Tara had pondered that thought ever since Aleksander rescued her, but she never really questioned it; despite how peculiar it seemed.

Yes, I’ve got to admit, I thought it was odd too, but what have we got to complain about? Maybe he’s just got a good memory.

“hmm… still, I think there’s more than what meets the eye, here…”

Tara laughed in her head, stop being all suspicious! You’re worse than me!

Not a moment later Mildred emerged with a platter of food. She walked over and placed it on the table. She turned to Tara.

“Now, don’t start yet, there is more where that came from.”

She smiled and began to head back to the kitchen. Suddenly she turned back to Aleksander, remembering something urgent.

“OH! Aleksander, did you remember to give Tara that card that came for her?”

Card? For me? Tara looked at Aleksander, smiling, but was intrigued by Aleksander’s baffled expression.

“Card? What card?” He asked her, apparently confused.

“The card I saw you pick up from under the door this morning? I could only assume it was for Tara, seeing as, well, it’s Tara’s birthday.”

Aleksander looked even more baffled after this revelation.

“You must be confused. That was merely a leaflet advertising the new menu at the Inn. Nothing more.”

“Oh. My mistake.” Mildred giggled as she trotted back into the kitchen.

Tara continued to look at Aleksander. She knew he was hiding something, she could see it in his eyes. They were oozing guilt.

“Tara, he’s lying.” Willow pointed out.

You think so? Why would he lie about something like a card?

They pondered for a moment, before Willow had an idea.

“Right tell Aleksander you need to go to your bedroom for something, then go into his office.”

What? No…

“Why not? Do you want to know what that card was?

Tara thought, she was desperate to know what Aleksander was hiding, should he be hiding anything, but she didn’t know whether she was willing to steal for it.

H-how do you even know it’s in the office?

“Honey, I’m a ghost. I know stuff.”

Tara wasn’t convinced, but she had nothing else to go on. If Willow was adamant that Aleksander was hiding something in his office, it was at least worth a look. She looked back to Aleksander and stood up from her seat. He didn’t even look at her. A distraction didn’t seem necessary.

“Look’s like this will be easier than I anticipated.”

Tara walked away from the table, taking the reflective spoon with her for contact with Willow, Aleksander still not paying any attention. She walked with stealth toward the office. When she reached the office door she opened it and snuck inside, careful not to make any unwanted noise. Once she was inside she thought to Willow.

Right, we’re in. Where to now?

Willow instructed her to search everywhere, so she did. The cupboards, the desks; she even tried the bookcase to see if it opened a secret wall. Nothing. The last place she tried was the work desk. She opened the large drawer on the right hand side. It was full of paper, but nothing incriminating.

“Well, that was a waste of- wait, look!”

Tara looked back to the drawer. She picked up the paper to reveal that the bottom of the drawer had a small hole inside. Tara put the paper on the desk and stuck her pinky in the hole, pulling out a false bottom.

“I’m good. No praise required, please.”

Tara looked at what was underneath the false bottom. Envelopes., and lots of them. All addressed to Aleksander.

Tara looked hesitantly at the evidence laid out before her. But despite that, she grabbed one. She looked at the envelope for a second, reluctant to invade the privacy of a man who had been so good to her.

“Open it!”

Tara refused, but she couldn’t help but wonder what the envelopes held. Aleksander was hiding some, that was clear now; but did she really want to find out what?

Without a moments pause she stopped halted her worrying and opened the envelope. She felt a rush of rebellion as she took the letter out. The letter was dated 13th of Suns Dusk, 3E 427. She read the letter:

Aleksander,

Do NOT forget to keep an eye on Tara on her nineteenth birthday.

Jada.

Tara looked at the letter, confused. She pulled out another letter and read it, this one dated 27th of Heartfire, 3E 423. The letter had exactly the same message as the letter before.

She pulled out more letters, all with the exact same message with different dates of sending.

She sent all of these? One a week for years?

Surprisingly, Willow was silent. She most likely couldn’t think of what to say; and neither could Tara. Tara pulled out one final random letter. This one was different from the rest. It was dated a week after Jada had left Tara. Tara sat down to read it.

Aleksander,

I am writing to tell you that I am safe. Whatever you have been told as to my leaving are most probably lies, but unfortunately I cannot tell you the truth. What I will tell you is that I am currently residing in Cyrodiil. I have taken residence in one of the mages guilds under a new name. Please, do not worry for me. I am safe. And please tell Tara I-

Before Tara could finish the letter she heard Mildred calling her for dinner. With extreme haste and panic she threw the letters back into the drawer and carefully placed everything back to how it was.

She walked back to the dining room. She had all these emotions rising from what she had read. She now knew, finally, that her mother knew something of her father’s plans. But that still didn’t answer the question as to why she left.

A question like that could only truly be answered with a confrontation with the woman who left her to die.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.