Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your projects
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
Sakiri
QUOTE(mirocu @ Aug 12 2019, 04:30 PM) *

When is Crow getting his hat? biggrin.gif

I could make Crow a hat, but Crow would need to have it shipped somewhere. I don't know where the nest is. tongue.gif

Unless you want to flap over here to pick up.
Decrepit
Project: Mow Lawn
Did so yesterday evening, it being our 'coolest' day for quite some time. Was circa 86F when I began (roughly 1900), with a feels-like of 91F. I held up reasonably well. Better than the mower at any rate, which conked out repeated early on. Move the 'near' portion of the backyard first. Had barely started in on the front when I spied the city mosquito-spraying truck headed my way. Transferred to the far back yard. That's when my mower ran out of gas. I then discovered my gas can bone dry. Mooched enough gas to finish up from a next-door neighbor. (Gotta remember to get more next errand day.) Heart readings taken immediately afterward weren't half bad; blood-pressure 127/65, pulse 93. A reading taken roughly one hour later showed pulse down to 73, about what I'd expect. (The reading I just took a break for is BP 109/67, pulse 65. That's more or less my norm during periods of inactivity, when feeling halfway decent.)
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 4 2019, 08:08 AM) *

Project: Upload new TpF SRA episode
State: Complete
A link is found in our 'What are you currently playing?' thread.

Project: Eradicate rodent infestation
State: False alarm?
About a month ago, washing cookery at the kitchen sink, I heard sound from somewhere near a counter-top. Investigation showed a container of Mrs Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend on its side. The upright container had been in a rather precarious position. That, and the fact that it was unlikely a mouse would explore a counter only 4-6ft away, meant I could not automatically assume infestation. Examining the Toaster area too proved an inadequate determinant. Playing it safe, I baited trap with Peanut Butter and placed it in a location that never fails to lure mice to their dooms. I've checked periodically since then. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. As of now I consider the case closed.

Whew! Glad it was nothing! I remember the mouse/bread incident of a couple years ago! You must have been vigilant since then about leaving nothing out to lure them in!

QUOTE(treydog @ Aug 4 2019, 02:12 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 3 2019, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(treydog @ Aug 3 2019, 07:23 AM) *

our peculiar brand of Appalachian American English.

So do you pronounce Appalachia as "Apple At Cha", or "Apple Ay Cha"? I ask because it came up on a MonsterTalk podcast, where they were discussing monsters of Appalachian folklore. The interviewee spent some time in western North Carolina, and the people there said it like "Apple At Cha". That should be a hop, skip, and a jump from you folks in ETN.

Rather more like "latch". As noted, due to my parent's influence, I do not quite as pronounced an E. TN sound as most folks. That said, when I ordered a meal in New York City, the waiter asked if I was "from Texas," so there's that.

Not sure I can do it phonetically, but Dad used the cheer from his high school (in 1930's Knoxville) whose colors were blue and white to illustrate the "East Tennessee i". Thus, "Fight blue, fight white. Fight, fight, fight," was rendered as:

"Feit blue, feit weit, feit, feit, feit."

(With the "ei" sounding like that in the word "height".). tongue.gif

Wait, isn't "fight" supposed to sound like "height?" GAAAAAH, have I been saying it wrong all this time?

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Aug 11 2019, 04:55 PM) *

Oh, that is cute!!!

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 13 2019, 02:07 PM) *

Project: Remove upper partial
Did so upon returning home from lunch. Dreaded it, as partial securers were adjusted super tight. So tight I feared crown might come out with it. Did procedure over bed, so should that happen crown would land on soft mattress rather than bathroom counter top. (Or worse, fall into sink drain hole.) Turns out, partial popped out super easy. Nothing to it.

Wow, the Dentist left you to do it yourself?

mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 16 2019, 04:26 PM) *

Did so yesterday evening, it being our 'coolest' day for quite some time. Was circa 86F when I began (roughly 1900), with a feels-like of 91F. I held up reasonably well. Better than the mower at any rate, which conked out repeated early on. Move the 'near' portion of the backyard first. Had barely started in on the front when I spied the city mosquito-spraying truck headed my way. Transferred to the far back yard. That's when my mower ran out of gas. I then discovered my gas can bone dry. Mooched enough gas to finish up from a next-door neighbor. (Gotta remember to get more next errand day.) Heart readings taken immediately afterward weren't half bad; blood-pressure 127/65, pulse 93. A reading taken roughly one hour later showed pulse down to 73, about what I'd expect. (The reading I just took a break for is BP 109/67, pulse 65. That's more or less my norm during periods of inactivity, when feeling halfway decent.)

How frustrating to run out of gas halfway through!

My (late) first husband always used to do the backyard first too; I don't know why. But when he decided to paint our pink house (Florida) to a dark forest green = he also started that project in the back of the house. It looked gorgeous in the back yard; made the house look completely different! However; when he got to the front yard; he ran out of paint halfway across the house.

He tried to get that same custom color; but it came out completely different; (more like a pea green) so after a stripe of it, he realized it wasn't going to look good at all - but since it was custom, he couldn't return it; so he decided to use it up anyway (but just on the garage and carport area at the other end of the house). It ran out, too.

He went back and tried for his original custom forest green again = came out with a third green that didn't match either the forest green or the pea green! This one was like olive green! It ran out too; leaving a large block of the original pink outer wall right around the area of the front door.

At that point he threw up his hands and was sick of house painting. So for ten years we were able to direct anyone coming to our house for the first time to look for the house with three different colors of paint on the front, followed by "You'll know what I mean when you see it."

No one ever had trouble finding us based on just that description. They would come in laughing and say, "You were right! I knew it was yours the second I saw it!"

Now, when you mow your grass starting in the back yard and the mower breaks down or runs out of gas in the front so the front yard is left looking shaggy in a big clump halfway through ... remember my decade of shame in that three colored house, rollinglaugh.gif

Sakiri
Fight and Height do rhyme, normally. As does write, light and kite.

Made another hat, but I don't have pics. Won't til I get my needles from Amazon and can weave in the ends of yarn, which I can't do because this super bulky yarn will not fit through my current darning needles.
Decrepit
Project: Capture footage for Transport Fever Scenic Excursions ep24
For once, the video portion of this episode is giving me trouble. (I'm sure text will too, when I get around to it.) Captured its central ride-along segment at least six times. Am not thrilled with any one take. The next-to-last has some of my favorite isolated incidents, but also a few 'gotchas.' The last take has its own pluses. Not quite as many as its immediate predecessor, but also no serious gotchas. As of now I plan to use the safer last take. Not overly ecstatic with any static camera intro videos either. I'll prolly make do with what I've shot regardless.

I lack capturing an outro clip (or two). That's normally easy. We shall see.

Project: Replace lawnmower air filter
Bought one at Home Depot, which gives 10% military discount. Also bought no-ethenol gas for on the way home. Will likely mow tomorrow evening, depending on what weather is predicted to be day after. (I'd rather hold off until then, but as of now that day is forecast to be the first in a series of stormy days.)
Decrepit
Project: TpF SRA24
YT thumbnail created. YT description written. Outro captured. All clips combined in Filmora and edited as needed. Transitions placed. Text narrative again a stumbling block. Hope to upload by week's end.
Sakiri
Hat disaster.

I don't think I made the brim wide enough and this yarn is a real pain in the rear to work with, so I don't know what to do now. I can't gift something that looks this horrible.
Decrepit
Project: Wait out Power Outage
Finished a long TpF session on the computer this morning, circa 0800. Saved game. Clicked Exit to Desktop. TpF takes a while to reach desktop, likely due to the hundreds of mods I've installed. Be that as it may, the closing screen went blank at the appropriate time. Only, install of seeing Win10 desktop the monitor remained blacked. "What the heck?" I thought. "This takes a while, but surely not long enough to put the monitor into sleep mode." I then notice the monitor's indicator light not on. Hmmm...did I somehow stupidly shut it off? I wouldn't put it past me. Oh, the PC is off. And the PC audio power amp. And the desk light. Everything's off. POWER OUTAGE!

Look out the window. A nice clear day. Wait several minutes. No power. Retire to bed. Crank up teeny-tiny batter powered reading lamp. Begin reading. Phone rings. It's Entergy. Power Outage affecting 1,4xx customers in my area, as of 0804. Estimated repair completion: 1100. Read until around 1030. Decide to dress and lunch at local Oriental all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant if power isn't restored by 1050. Phone rings 1047. New repair estimate: 1300. Drive to restaurant. Eat.

I normally check an online weather site before heading out. Obviously couldn't do so. Had checked earlier in the morning. At that time, a chance of isolated storms was predicted beginning mid-afternoon. Was clear and hot when I left the house. Was clear and hot when I entered restaurant. End of meal, go to checkout counter. Look out window. It's raining. Raining hard! Pay for lunch/have free-lunch card stamped. Wait maybe 15min until rain slackens enough to walk to car. Road slightly water under water in spots, but reasonably safe. Before reaching city limit rain slackened, then ceased. No rain rest of drive home.

Arrived home circa 1240. Hadn't rained at all here, though sky very overcast. Power restored.

Project: Salvage Transport Fever
Following return from restaurant, fired up PC. Fired up Transport Fever. Halfway through launch, crashed to Desktop. Tried again. Same result. Tried older save. Same result. Tried save to different, experimental map. Same result. Look through mod list. It shows two mods that I think ought to be installed. Remove them. Tried again. Same result. Open Steam. Verify TpF install. Six files don't verify. Steam automatically downloads them. Spend time modifying file downloads to reflect changed made a while back. Uninstall one of the two questionable mods. Least the second installed. Move it to its proper load order position. Launch game. Voila!
Quickly make new save. Play a few minutes. Exit.

Project: Mow lawn
Due to front moving through, temperature dropped appreciably. High 70s with feels-like in mid-high 80s. Check online weather site. Chance of storms predicted to begin in two hours. Install new air-filter on mower. Pour fuel additive in mover tank. Top off tank with non-ethanol gas. Mow. Went well. Mower didn't conk out a single time. I didn't conk out a single time.

Project: Vegetate

===========================

Saturday Morning Addendum:

Project: Finalize & Upload TpF Scenic Excursions ep24
Did so overnight. A link is found in our 'What are you currently playing?' thread.
Sakiri
I bought £70 in yarn last night.

I have a problem.
mirocu
QUOTE(Sakiri @ Aug 24 2019, 03:38 PM) *

I have a problem.

Not enough bons to make hats for? biggrin.gif
Sakiri
6 skeins of that is for a sweater. I'll probably need more but I only got 6 because that was all they had of it.
Decrepit
Project: Make Win7 Great Again
Bro is visiting this evenin. Using my secondary computer, he suffered a BSOD. Screen showed a problem that occurs on that PC once in a blue moon. Last appearance was before I assembled my primary PC over two years ago.

Back then, I knew how to quickly recover when BSOD appeared. After all this time, I forgot. Which led me to me made what I feared might prove an unrecoverable mistake. Following reboot, I was automatically sent to BIOS. Now, what I ought to have done is select Exit Without Saving. I'm pretty sure that would have set things to rights. Only, I didn't remember that. I pressed Save & Exit.

PC reboots. Win7 refuses to load. I re-entered the BIOS. Discover it has been reset to defaults.

I have a cheat-sheet kept with that PC's motherboard manual, documenting all BIOS changes. Was gonna make those changes and try to load Win7. Only, I appear to have misplaced the mobo manual! Looked and looked for it. No luck. Re-entered BIOS. Made my best guesses. Tried to load Win7. Nope.

Ran Win7 system repair in case that was the issue. Tried to load Win7. Nope.

Spent more time searching for mobo manual. Nope.

Brother gives up and retired to sofa for night.

More mobo manual searching. Nope.

Then, I suddenly recalled a possibly important BIOS setting I hadn't yet checked. Entered BIOS. Checked setting. Switched it to what I hoped was the proper settings. Saved & Exited.

Reboot. Win7 loads successfully. Hurrah!
Decrepit
Did so this past Saturday late-afternoon / early-evening, during one of our cooler periods (for this time of year). For the first time since the mow several months ago when heat got to me so severely, I felt fully up to the task start to finish. Oddly, not long after returning to the computer it dawned on me that, following the mow, I felt better than I had in ages. Mentally as much as, maybe more so than, physically. Not sure what's up with that, but am not complaining. (I'm now back to being my semi comatose self.) Heart reading taken almost immediately after mow: BP 107/64, P 86.

Project: Babysit Repairman at brother's house
Bro's A/C conked out at the start of the Labor Day holiday. He wasn't able to get in touch with his repairman until this morning. My brother being a working man, I generally volunteer to be at his house and oversee inspection/repairs. I'm told the inspection (and repair if its something simple) will occur sometime today or tomorrow. The repairman will (supposedly) phone me about 30min prior, so I have time to drive there. We shall see.
mirocu
Made another footstool. Rather large and sturdy. I reckon the way I made it, it could probably support an elephant tongue.gif
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 22 2019, 06:12 PM) *

*snip*
Decide to dress and lunch at local Oriental all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant if power isn't restored by 1050. Phone rings 1047. New repair estimate: 1300. Drive to restaurant. Eat.

Gaaaah, where is the review of what you ate and whether it was good or not? verysad.gif

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 22 2019, 06:12 PM) *

Project: Vegetate

BwaaHaa!!!!

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 25 2019, 10:24 PM) *

Project: Make Win7 Great Again
Bro is visiting this evenin. Using my secondary computer, he suffered a BSOD. Screen showed a problem that occurs on that PC once in a blue moon. Last appearance was before I assembled my primary PC over two years ago.

Back then, I knew how to quickly recover when BSOD appeared. After all this time, I forgot. Which led me to me made what I feared might prove an unrecoverable mistake. Following reboot, I was automatically sent to BIOS. Now, what I ought to have done is select Exit Without Saving. I'm pretty sure that would have set things to rights. Only, I didn't remember that. I pressed Save & Exit.

PC reboots. Win7 refuses to load. I re-entered the BIOS. Discover it has been reset to defaults.

I have a cheat-sheet kept with that PC's motherboard manual, documenting all BIOS changes. Was gonna make those changes and try to load Win7. Only, I appear to have misplaced the mobo manual! Looked and looked for it. No luck. Re-entered BIOS. Made my best guesses. Tried to load Win7. Nope.

Ran Win7 system repair in case that was the issue. Tried to load Win7. Nope.

Spent more time searching for mobo manual. Nope.

Brother gives up and retired to sofa for night.

More mobo manual searching. Nope.

Then, I suddenly recalled a possibly important BIOS setting I hadn't yet checked. Entered BIOS. Checked setting. Switched it to what I hoped was the proper settings. Saved & Exited.

Reboot. Win7 loads successfully. Hurrah!

WOO HOO !!!! It is amazing to me how you all can fix your PC's when something huge goes wrong like this!!!

** Really great to hear you were feeling so good after mowing! I hope that good feeling stays!

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 5 2019, 07:47 AM) *

Made another footstool. Rather large and sturdy. I reckon the way I made it, it could probably support an elephant tongue.gif

*taps foot*

You know what that means! laugh.gif

ghastley
I presume mALX expects a picture, complete with test elephant.

5,000 squirrels might be an acceptable substitute. biggrin.gif
mALX
QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 5 2019, 01:28 PM) *

I presume mALX expects a picture, complete with test elephant.

5,000 squirrels might be an acceptable substitute. biggrin.gif

rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

mirocu
Pic of footstool is possible. Elephant may be hard to get though biggrin.gif
Sakiri
Make me one.
mirocu
QUOTE(Sakiri @ Sep 6 2019, 10:42 PM) *

Make me one.

You want this?

Oh, yeah. You want this cool.gif
Acadian
Mirocu, nice woodwork - again. goodjob.gif
mirocu
Thanks, 'cadian biggrin.gif

Always liked working with wood. It's a very nice material smile.gif
Sakiri
I could use something to make me about 20 cm taller yes.
SubRosa
I bought a new cable modem, and just spent the last 20 minutes talking with Comcast to get it working. Their system was still seeing the old modem, so refusing the activate the new one because the mac ids were different. My guess is that they have to manually update the mac on their end every time someone changes their cable modem. Which is a good security measure. But also a pita.
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 7 2019, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Sep 6 2019, 10:42 PM) *

Make me one.

You want this?

Oh, yeah. You want this cool.gif

I want the second one!!! Holy Cow, did you hand sand it to make it so smooth? And stain it or varnish? It looks stunning!!!! You have such an amazing talent!

mirocu
Surface may appear smoother than it is ™ biggrin.gif

It's not so smooth, actually. Didn't sand it too much and I didn't use any varnish or so. And it's the same one in both pics wink.gif

And thankx biggrin.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 11 2019, 10:35 AM) *

It's not so smooth, actually. Didn't sand it too much and I didn't use any varnish or so. And it's the same one in both pics wink.gif

And thankx biggrin.gif

It is? I looks like raw wood in one, and finished wood in the second one! Really pretty! I love seeing your building projects with wood!

Decrepit
Did so beginning 1815 this evening. Not as cool as I'd like. Not worryingly hot either. Breaking tradition, I showered prior to my post-mow heart reading, which is BP 96/62, P 88. I've noticed this last year or so that it now takes my pulse appreciably longer to calm following any sort of strenuous activity. Might have held off another day or two, except a days-long string of rains and/or storms is expected to hit tomorrow.

Project: Nothing
With Transport Fever's train-ride mode now too choppy to film, I have absolute no projects on the agenda. I still add scenic detail to TpF train routes, but that's better suited for a different thread.
Sakiri
New project. Try to make a Skyrim mod that will make my fist attacks silent.

I cant find one anywhere and I'm trying to play a stealthy assassin punchcat with klepto tendencies.
mirocu
QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 12 2019, 11:54 PM) *

And thankx biggrin.gif

It is? I looks like raw wood in one, and finished wood in the second one!

That's because in the first pic it's unpainted, in the second one it's painted biggrin.gif

Sudden project arose this morning; putting up gutter on the old smithy. Only problem; we should have done it twenty years ago before rain splatter ruined the wall kvleft.gif
Anyway, I got started and the minute I was all done, it started to rain. No joke laugh.gif

And no pic. It's just a gutter wink.gif
Acadian
Nice job getting your gutter up. Icing on the cake was instant testing by a rainfall. With my luck, putting up new gutters would cause a drought. tongue.gif
mirocu
QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 28 2019, 03:31 PM) *

Nice job getting your gutter up. Icing on the cake was instant testing by a rainfall.

Indeed! Can't believe my luck there biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 28 2019, 03:31 PM) *

With my luck, putting up new gutters would cause a drought. tongue.gif

rollinglaugh.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 28 2019, 08:54 AM) *

And thankx biggrin.gif

That's because in the first pic it's unpainted, in the second one it's painted biggrin.gif

Sudden project arose this morning; putting up gutter on the old smithy. Only problem; we should have done it twenty years ago before rain splatter ruined the wall kvleft.gif
Anyway, I got started and the minute I was all done, it started to rain. No joke laugh.gif

I need a gutter verysad.gif

Sakiri
QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 28 2019, 06:12 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 28 2019, 08:54 AM) *

And thankx biggrin.gif

I need a gutter verysad.gif

My mind lives in a gutter.
Decrepit
Project: Finalize and Upload new TpF Scenic Excursions episode
Non juicy info and a link are found in the appropriate thread.

I ought to have mowed yesterday afternoon/evening. But temps were some degrees hotter than predicted. Just couldn't force myself to leave the house. But it's gonna be even hotter (in the mid nineties) until mid/late week. Grass is gonna be hella high by then. To the plus, if I hold out, temps should be much more reasonable. <crosses fingers>
Decrepit
Project: Stupidity
My commode has acted flaky for years. Too often takes an act of congress to flush a dump. Nor does it always fill properly after a successful/unsuccessful flush. Somethings makes 'gurgling' sounds, which indicates periodic adding of water to the bowl, even when already at normal level. Yesterday, lying abed reading, I hear gurgling from the bathroom. Go to commode. Jiggle handle. Flush. Bowl drains but does not refill. Flush. Doesn't refill. Lift tank lid. No water. Check faucets. Running water. Not sure what's up, but need functioning toilet. Make emergency Home Depot run for toilet innards. Buy fancy kit with two separate flush functions, 'normal' and 'lite.' Return home. Shut off water going to toilet. Tear out old innards. Break for drink of water. No water from faucets! Doh!

Call 'city' hall. My part of town undergoing brief water outage.

Too late to back out of switch. In any case, new innards will surely be an improvement? Box states job takes 25min. I estimate 2.5hrs. Correct, give or take a minute or so. Procedure not helped by poorly written instructions. Just as well. By finish water back on. Too soon to know how new innards perform. Three dump flushes all succeeded, but old system could exceed that. Haven't properly adjusted 'lite' flush mechanism. No point testing it.

So there it is, a false alarm triggered replacement of something in need of replacement.
Sakiri
Lol act of congress to flush a dump.

Sounds like our toilet for a while. Turned out that the sewage line to clogged somewhere and we had a truck come and suction the line(our sewage line access is in the middle of my yard). Problem solved.

But if you had tank refill issues it's probably tank innards related.
Decrepit
QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 3 2019, 01:55 PM) *

Lol act of congress to flush a dump.

Sounds like our toilet for a while. Turned out that the sewage line to clogged somewhere and we had a truck come and suction the line(our sewage line access is in the middle of my yard). Problem solved.

But if you had tank refill issues it's probably tank innards related.

I've long suspected at least part of my toilet woes is either partly clogged line, ultra cheap toilet itself, or a bit of both. That said, it hasn't misbehaved once since innards replacement. Still too soon to tell, but I'll hope for the best.

Project: Make Law Mowing Great Bearable Again
Taking its cue from the toilet, my mower has been flaky much of this grass/weed growing season. A bit hard to start. Once started, it tends to conk out within seconds to a few minutes. Up til now it has done this maybe 10-15min, then work without interruption until end of mow. Today, it defeated me. Constant stoppages until I was worn out past the point of continuing. In all that time I mowed a grand total of maybe five strips.

Came to computer. Researched. Best I can tell, the problem is likely a defective gas cap, bad spark plug, or clogged carburetor. Was able to test cap. Nope, not that.

Then, when all seemed hopeless, an act of unlooked-for kindness materialized. While attempting another start, a next door neighbor approached me, saying he'd already asked his son to mow my lawn this evening. (They're the ones who mowed for me several weeks following my bout of illness due to mowing in super hot weather earlier this season.) Thanked him. Pushed the mower onto front porch. Called it a mow.

Am going buy a new spark plug this coming errand day. If that doesn't work, as suspected, I'll buy/order a carburetor repair kit. Might also try carburetor cleaning spray. Thing about the carburetor is, a rebuild might be too much for me to tackle. We shall see.

Project: Make Lying Down Bearable Again
You might remember I spent two years sleeping on the sofa due to strong shoulder/neck/back pains that made it impossible to lie in bed. Then, following two years of sofa sleep, onset of loin / outer thigh pain forced me to abandon the sofa. Thanks to a new, expensive 3" mattress topper, I could lie on my side on the bed again. Not a pain-free experience, but not so bad I couldn't endure it.

After a year of bed sleep, neck /shoulder pain worsened, to the point I couldn't bear it. Returned to the sofa. That lasted two weeks. Then, the beginnings of loin / outer thigh resurfaced. Gah!

In desperation, I placed my old 2" memory gel topper atop the newer (expensive) 3" topper. Nope, still too much pain. Returned to sofa for another night.

And miserable it was. Next day, I decided to trying something radical.

The vast majority of my life was spent as a back-sleeper only. That ceased maybe five years ago, when my rump gave out of me. Since then, back sleeping triggers severe lower back / rump pain. (Neck / should pain became an issue later, during my struggles with TMJ Syndrom.) Anyway, I had not tried lying on my back with the combo of new 3" topper, 2" memory gel topper, and mattress. Worth a shot, though I expected nothing good to come of it.

To my surprise, with this combo lower-back / rump pain is mild much of the time. I can tolerate it...so far. Jury's out of neck / shoulder pain. It starts out minimal but gradually worsens. Sometimes it becomes unbearable. Sometimes painful but tolerable.

That's where things stand now. Been attempting to sleep on my back only a few days. Gonna keep at it, as I'm pretty much out of options.
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 3 2019, 09:31 AM) *

Project: Stupidity
My commode has acted flaky for years. Too often takes an act of congress to flush a dump. Nor does it always fill properly after a successful/unsuccessful flush. Somethings makes 'gurgling' sounds, which indicates periodic adding of water to the bowl, even when already at normal level. Yesterday, lying abed reading, I hear gurgling from the bathroom. Go to commode. Jiggle handle. Flush. Bowl drains but does not refill. Flush. Doesn't refill. Lift tank lid. No water. Check faucets. Running water. Not sure what's up, but need functioning toilet. Make emergency Home Depot run for toilet innards. Buy fancy kit with two separate flush functions, 'normal' and 'lite.' Return home. Shut off water going to toilet. Tear out old innards. Break for drink of water. No water from faucets! Doh!

Call 'city' hall. My part of town undergoing brief water outage.

Too late to back out of switch. In any case, new innards will surely be an improvement? Box states job takes 25min. I estimate 2.5hrs. Correct, give or take a minute or so. Procedure not helped by poorly written instructions. Just as well. By finish water back on. Too soon to know how new innards perform. Three dump flushes all succeeded, but old system could exceed that. Haven't properly adjusted 'lite' flush mechanism. No point testing it.

So there it is, a false alarm triggered replacement of something in need of replacement.

You are absolutely the handiest man I've ever met! You can build your own computers; mow, repair cars; repair mowers and weed-eaters = and now you can fix the toilet too? Where is the bow down emoticon when needed?

I have so much go wrong around the house that I just can't fix; and since I all but single-handedly raised my son = that means he can't fix anything either. (trickle down lack of know-how).

That said; when confronted with the choice of paying a plumber to change the wax ring on his toilet; he managed to watch a YouTube vid on how to do it and successfully switched out an old leaky ring for a brand new one that fixed the issue! (Yes, I'm bragging about him doing that, lol). But it is the first thing he has ever done, and I hope the start of him starting to act like a man, lol.

I'm seriously thinking about waving a huge bill in front of him to encourage him to fix our oven, lol. All it needs done is to change out the panel that runs the fancy "keyboard" (some kind of touch panel that just plugs into a connector in the stove's masthead) and fixing it for just the cost of the parts; I've seen hundreds of vids on how to do that on YouTube!

Now that I've seen him fix that toilet; I am working up a stack of chores that he can follow that up with, too! It is just the start of what this house needs; I've already hinted about weed-eating the yard; repairing the ripped screens; painting interior and exterior; building me a planter for the front drive; etc....etc...etc...

laugh.gif

Sakiri
I feel you on back pain.

Im a stomach sleeper. Been forcing myself to sleep on my sides with a pillow between my knees. PT lady said it'd help. God, it makes the morning stiffness worse because I can't roll over.

I get tired sitting with a correct posture. I can't see my screen sitting like that either. Wake up every morning with hip and lower back pain, stiff as hell, and nothing fixes it.

Nothing. Fixes. It.

Even pain pills aren't helping, granted it's only OTC stuff. Im betting my hip flexors are screwed, my SI is screwed. This sucks.
Decrepit
Project: Primary Care Visit
This was a once-every-six-months status-checks with my doc. Blood work and urinalysis are included. Immediately afterward I was to have my first-ever annual Medicare Wellness Exam by a specialty nurse. I considered myself well prepared, drinking glass after glass of water all morning until leaving for the appointment roughly 0915.

All went as anticipated until urinalysis. I was more than ready to do my thing, so expected no difficulties. Sure enough, my cup (almost) runneth over, with more to come. Could have easily filled two cups. Set full cup on the commode lid while I washed hands and zipped up. Then it happened. My cup must have been sitting too near lid edge. It went crashing to the floor. There I was, a spill on the floor and me now dry as a bone, with the embarrassment of informing lab technicians of my situation yet to come. It must be said that, on the surface at least, they took it better than I did. Needless to say I gotta make a special trip into town for another try at it.

Just prior to urinalysis, my doc's nurse informed me I couldn't have my Wellness Exam. The Wellness Nurse is out sick! Me being me, I couldn't help commenting how ironic that statement seems.

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 5 2019, 06:21 AM) *

I feel you on back pain.

Im a stomach sleeper. Been forcing myself to sleep on my sides with a pillow between my knees. PT lady said it'd help. God, it makes the morning stiffness worse because I can't roll over.

I get tired sitting with a correct posture. I can't see my screen sitting like that either. Wake up every morning with hip and lower back pain, stiff as hell, and nothing fixes it.

Nothing. Fixes. It.

Even pain pills aren't helping, granted it's only OTC stuff. Im betting my hip flexors are screwed, my SI is screwed. This sucks.

Wasn't so many years ago when lying down in bed was one of my favorite pastimes. When my now dearly departed waterbed mattress and I were in decent shape it was sheer bliss. How times have changed! On a positive note, a combination of expensive 3" 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper ('soft' variant) and an older 2" Memory Gel topper has improved my situation, where neither of those did squat on its own. Not a big improvement, sad to say. But enough so that I get decent sleep many nights. Certainly more so than before.

@mALX
I think you confuse me with someone else. I'm no one's idea of a 'handyman.' I can do some very basic things, not always well enough to pass muster. My dad, now he was a handyman.
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 24 2019, 03:56 PM) *

Project: Primary Care Visit
This was one of those every-six-month status-checks with my doc. Blood work and urinalysis are included. Immediately afterward I was to have my first-ever annual Medicare Wellness Exam by a specialty nurse. I considered myself well prepared, drinking glass after glass of water all morning long until leaving for the appointment roughly 0915.

All went as expected until urinalysis. I was more than ready to do my thing, so expected no difficulties. Sure enough, my cup (almost) runneth over, with more to come. Could have easily filled two cups. Set the cup on the commode lid while I washed my hands and zipped up. And then it happened. My cup must have been sitting too near the lid edge. It went crashing to the floor. There I was, a spill on the floor and me now dry as a bone, with the embarrassment of informing lab technicians of my situation yet to come. It must be said that, on the surface at least, they took it better than I did. Needless to say I gotta make a special trip into town for another try at it.

Just prior to urinalysis, my doc's nurse informed me I couldn't have my Wellness Exam. The Wellness Nurse is out sick! Me being me, I couldn't help commenting how ironic that statement seems.

Bold: This had me in hysterics, especially coming right after your urine dilemma! This was a priceless post!!!

Decrepit
Project: Upload & Publish new TpF Scenic Excursions episode

I uploaded mid week, with the video set to automatically publish itself at 5am this morning. I link is found in our What are You Playing? thread.
Decrepit
Project: Upload new Scenic Excursions episode, set to 'publish' Saturday

Uploaded overnight, check. Description created, check. TAGS created, check. Thumbnail created and uploaded, check. All applicable video settings set at YouTube, check.

Waking this morning, I took care of business, headed straight to the 'computer room,' and played the episode to check video quality. To my horror, its only available resolution is 360p. Something obviously went wrong. Deleted it. Will try again tonight or Friday night. Not sure what went wrong, so don't know what to do different.

Project: Pay state/local/city taxes due on internet purchases
Status: Ready to stick in the mailbox once it gets light enough outside

I owe a whopping $2.42 this month! An among so small can be postponed, then combined with other smallish monthly payments down the road. In fact that's the way I'm supposed to do it. No way am I gonna do it that way. Keeping track what I bought when, and whether state tax was paid or not is hard enough a month at a time. As it is, I neglected to indicated in my ledger whether one of this month's two internet purchases took out state tax. (I would still owe county and local taxes in any case.) To be safe I included it.

Project: Prepared 'city' utility payment
Status: Ready for drop off at 'city' hall next time I drive that way (which I do every time I drive anywhere)

Wrote out the check immediately after preparing Oct internet purchase tax payment
Decrepit
Project: Upload TpF Scenic Excursions episode, to be published Saturday morning
Second time's the charm. I suspect unfamiliarity with YT's new upload screens is what did me in first time. Even this time round I was unsure I did it right until testing the video online after upload/processing.

Project: Update secondary PC, which uses Win7, to Win10
The clock is ticking. Come early Jan 2020 Win7 will become untrustworthy unless not connected to the internet or networked with other local computers. Can't afford to let that happen, as my Bro uses it to browse the web during visits. My plan is to attempt a straightforward 'update' leaving as much as possible intact. If that fails I'll do a full install from scratch.
Decrepit
Project: Adjust old-fashioned clocks (and my watch) for time change
Did so soon after waking. (Meant to do before retiring last night, but me being me... ) The car's clock remains to be adjusted. I'll get to that whenever I do...assuming I bother at all.

Project: Make Lying Down Great Tolerable Again.
I jinxed myself by earlier stating that I now suffer less pain lying down. Only a few days later pain worsened, to the point that by last night it had become too intense to remain abed upon waking at 0230 (pre time change). Moved to the sofa, which lessened neck/shoulder/upper-back pain enough to allow another hour's sleep. Which means I woke up at 0230 again =P

Project: Balance computerized Checking/Savings Account ledgers
Slight SNAFU. My first BALANCE ACCOUNT attempt showed $14 in spending unaccounted for. Luckily, the amount itself made tracking down the problem easy. It almost had to be medicine my online pharmacy mails me, some of which are sent (and charged to my account) automatically, without me needing to okay it. Sure enough, a little research proved that to be the case.

Sunday mid-morning Addendum:
Project: Prepare TpF Scenic Excursions episode for upload
This episode has been in-the-can for some time, lacking only text-narrative finalization. I'm currently rendering what I suspect will be my final draft, possibly the actual upload copy. One way or the other, it won't be uploaded until mid-week, and not published until next Saturday morning. My original intent was to number this episode 17b, since it's an alternative version of ep17, which I feel is overly marred by a combo of excessive loco exhaust and YT compression. Just this morning I had a change of heart. It is now ep 29. Due to change in camera positions during the 'cab-ride' segment, loco exhaust shouldn't be an issue. As to YT compression, we shall see.
SubRosa
I am glad you mentioned the clocks. I forgot all about Daylight Savings Time.
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 3 2019, 06:07 AM) *

Project: Adjust old-fashioned clocks (and my watch) for time change
Did so soon after waking. (Meant to do before retiring last night, but me being me... ) The car's clock remains to be adjusted. I'll get to that whenever I do...assuming I bother at all.

Project: Make Lying Down Great Tolerable Again.
I jinxed myself by earlier stating that I now suffer less pain lying down. Only a few days later pain worsened, to the point that by last night it had become too intense to remain abed upon waking at 0230 (pre time change). Moved to the sofa, which lessened neck/shoulder/upper-back pain enough to allow another hour's sleep. Which means I woke up at 0230 again =P

Project: Balance computerized Checking/Savings Account ledgers
Slight SNAFU. My first BALANCE ACCOUNT attempt showed $14 in spending unaccounted for. Luckily, the amount itself made tracking down the problem easy. It almost had to be medicine my online pharmacy mails me, some of which are sent (and charged to my account) automatically, without me needing to okay it. Sure enough, a little research proved that to be the case.

Sunday mid-morning Addendum:
Project: Prepare TpF Scenic Excursions episode for upload
This episode has been in-the-can for some time, lacking only text-narrative finalization. I'm currently rendering what I suspect will be my final draft, possibly the actual upload copy. One way or the other, it won't be uploaded until mid-week, and not published until next Saturday morning. My original intent was to number this episode 17b, since it's an alternative version of ep17, which I feel is overly marred by a combo of excessive loco exhaust and YT compression. Just this morning I had a change of heart. It is now ep 29. Due to change in camera positions during the 'cab-ride' segment, loco exhaust shouldn't be an issue. As to YT compression, we shall see.

I'm so sorry you are having the pain trying to sleep again! That has to be so frustrating; and is probably one of the worst pains to suffer from because the lack of good sleep hurts your health on top of just being miserable.

I hope you are able to find a solution. Have you tried tucking a pillow under your arm, neck and knees and sleeping on your side? That keeps your spine totally straight and relieves any straining on it = it is what the Doctors had me do after my spinal injury in a car accident in my twenties; and it really helped. You don't have to always sleep like that; just during the times when you are in pain.

Decrepit
QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 3 2019, 11:29 AM) *

I hope you are able to find a solution. Have you tried tucking a pillow under your arm, neck and knees and sleeping on your side? That keeps your spine totally straight and relieves any straining on it = it is what the Doctors had me do after my spinal injury in a car accident in my twenties; and it really helped. You don't have to always sleep like that; just during the times when you are in pain.

When you say a pillow under the arm,lying on my side, which arm do you mean, top or bottom? Logic points to one option, but I don't want to second-guess. Same with pillow under knee(s). As to neck, I've tried many pillows, in positions of all sorts. Never hit on one that works long term....not in the bed in any case. The sofa is another matter. During my two-year stay there I concocted one jerry-rigged neck 'pillow' I became quite comfortable with over the long haul. It didn't help much last night, but I've not had sufficient time to adapt to sofa sleeping, assuming I stick with it. The sofa has its own set of issues.

Yes, to my misfortune I sleep on my side. Haven't been a back sleep since my rump went out on me circa 2014. (It's better now, but not enough so to allow back sleep.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.