Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your projects
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
Decrepit
HDD and CAT-7 cables arrived fifteen minutes prior to what would have been my lunchtime had I not elected to install the drive. Took somewhat longer than expected. The major stumbling block was inserting the drive's SATA cable into the motherboard. The port I intended to use was covered by the GTX1070. No biggie, I thought, I'll remove the GPU, snap in the drive cable, reinsert the GPU, and be good to go. Or so I thought.

As some undoubtedly know, most modern motherboards have a locking mechanism at one end of each PCIe socket to keep cards in place. It's normally a simple matter to depress the mechanism and remove the card. (Assuming rear retaining screws have already been taken care of.) In my case it wasn't quite that simple. The lower portion of a release mechanism's manipulation lever is quite often obscured by a GPU. The upper portion is normally more easily reached. Not so in my case. My huge Noctua CPU air cooler extends very close to the top of the GPU. So close I could not insert a finger between cooler and GPU to depress the lever. What I ultimately did was depress the level with a wood ruler. Worried that the ruler might slip and damage fragile traces on the mobo. That didn't happen.

Had a few other hassles, all surmountable.

Broke for lunch.

Moved the roll-top desk 11" on my own, which is as far as it needed to go.

Those 11" allowed to situate the two computer housed in that corner of the room in a more agreeable manner. The new arrangement is far from perfect, but as mentioned there are no perfect solutions in the that area.

Am now in the process of transferred all files from my i7-930's "Oblivion Work Project" partition to the i7-7700k via router. It's taking forever, but what ya gonna do?
SubRosa
I bought a new monitor today. It has been about six or seven years since I bought my last one. I was originally looking at an Acer Predator XB71HU. It looked good at first. But then I noticed on the store demo that it had a problem with this one particular moving image, where it was like the screen got dimmer around the graphic that was moving. Then it brightened up when the graphic was gone. So I decided against it.

I went to Best Buy not expecting to get anything. But I found a Samsung C27F591, with a 27" curved screen. It is not a gaming model like the Predator, and is only half the price. But it looks better. It is really bright, and the colors are much more vibrant than my old monitor. In fact I might have to turn the brightness down some. I am hoping the curved screen will help with sun glare. My tv is curved, and it handles glare much better than my old flat-screen tv did.
TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 24 2017, 07:55 PM) *

I bought a new monitor today. It has been about six or seven years since I bought my last one. I was originally looking at an Acer Predator XB71HU. It looked good at first. But then I noticed on the store demo that it had a problem with this one particular moving image, where it was like the screen got dimmer around the graphic that was moving. Then it brightened up when the graphic was gone. So I decided against it.

I went to Best Buy not expecting to get anything. But I found a Samsung C27F591, with a 27" curved screen. It is not a gaming model like the Predator, and is only half the price. But it looks better. It is really bright, and the colors are much more vibrant than my old monitor. In fact I might have to turn the brightness down some. I am hoping the curved screen will help with sun glare. My tv is curved, and it handles glare much better than my old flat-screen tv did.

Ya, it's not necessary to buy a gaming monitor when a tv works just as well (or better), and costs less. Good find!
mALX
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 24 2017, 08:55 PM) *

Holy cow, a curved TV and monitor? I have to see this, it sounds futuristic !!! (I see my son wanting one next, but that might be good because it might mean he would give me his huge flatscreen!)

mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 24 2017, 05:21 PM) *

Am now in the process of transferred all files from my i7-930's "Oblivion Work Project" partition to the i7-7700k via router. It's taking forever, but what ya gonna do?

Use the time to eat that lunch you held off eating to do all that work!

I downloaded all mine onto a "Passport" (USB connected external hard drive) then loaded it on the new computer from the Passport = it still takes time, but is much quicker (and no chance of data loss).

Decrepit
QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 25 2017, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 24 2017, 05:21 PM) *

Use the time to eat that lunch you held off eating to do all that work!

I downloaded all mine onto a "Passport" (USB connected external hard drive) then loaded it on the new computer from the Passport = it still takes time, but is much quicker (and no chance of data loss).

An USB external HDD is on my list of upcoming purchases. We're talking several months down the road at the earlier, I'm afraid. Speaking of which, I notice an appreciable speed increase transferring data to and from a USB-3 memory stick inserted in my i7-7700k's front panel USB-3 slot over that same stick plugged into the i7-930, which has only USB-2 front panel slots.

Spend almost all morning transferring data to the new rig. Much of the grunt work is done. (I could likely finishing all transfers were my brother not coming over this afternoon, assuming I stuck it out.) Right now I'm reorganizing my Docs & Data partition on the new PC. I let it become too disorganized over the year, so that it's hard to find things when I need 'em. I figure the time fix than is now, before apathy sets in, as it surely will once the new rig becomes my primary computer and I start concentrating on stuff I like to do rather than what I need to do.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 24 2017, 07:55 PM) *

Looked up an online review of that monitor. The verdict was very favorable, singling its bright, vibrant image for special praise. The only real ding was its limited viewing angle, something my Samsung TN-panel monitor suffers from. Mine also has somewhat washed out blacks, which I believe is due mainly to its backlighting. Prices must have come down a good bit since I last evaluated monitors. Was surprised that a VA screen of that size was so (relatively) inexpensive. Then again, 27" inch monitors are far more commonplace that when I bought my 23.5 inch Samsung.

(An aside. I used an old-style computing desk with hutch, which limits me to a 23.5-24" screen, depending on screen frame size. I don't plan to jettison the desk, or remove its hutch.)
mALX
[quote name='Decrepit' date='Jun 25 2017, 11:48 AM' post='284540']
I downloaded all mine onto a "Passport" (USB connected external hard drive) then loaded it on the new computer from the Passport = it still takes time, but is much quicker (and no chance of data loss).[/quote]
An USB external HDD is on my list of upcoming purchases. We're talking several months down the road at the earlier, I'm afraid.
[/quote]

It's been a real lifesaver for me, I keep everything vital on it = just in case.

Decrepit
This was the day I hoped to solve my final issue with the new PC, then swap locations between it and my i7-930 PC so that the i7-7700k could become my primary rig.

The issue to resolve pre swap was that the new PC would not go into sleep mode. You might recall that this happened once before. That time it was fixed by having the PC leave my homegroup. A not ideal solution, but workable. That didn't work this time. Worse, the monitor began waking within a second or two of sleep, which hadn't been a symptom before. I did a lot of web research on the matter. Found a wealth of advice, little of which applied to my particular situation, none of which helped. In the end I found and fixed problem on my own. I still want the new PC to sleep when part of my homegroup, but that can wait.

Made the swap right after lunch. In the process I swapped out an old CAT cable connecting my primary rig to the router for one of the CAT-7 cables ordered off NewEgg last week.

Boy do I wish the new rig's case had casters like the Cooler Master HAF!!!! I'm gonna have to do something about that before too long.

Configured the new rig to utilize my four speakers. Sound is not quite as good as with my Sound Blaster X-fi, but we're talking build-in motherboard sound vs a fairly top-of-the-line add-on audio card. I'd love to transfer the X-fi to the new rig, but it's a PCI card so not compatible with the latest generation of motherboards, which abandon PCI for PCIe. Still, I'm not terribly displeased. Fired up Oblivion long enough to hear fairly decent sound that pans to the appropriate channel as my avatar turns.

On a sad note, once the i7-930 was in its new location I had the disheartening task of switching it from X-fi sound to the PC monitor's absolutely retched built-in speakers. O how the mighty have fallen!

Disabled more of Win10's annoyances. My modem's activity light is active appreciably less often now.

Moved my beloved super cheap ancient ergonomic keyboard to the secondary PC. I'm auditioning a much newer MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 on the primary rig. The Natural is in theory a better keyboard. That may be, but I'm having a heck of a time getting used to the Natural, my right hand more so than the left.

O yeah. I ordered a few inexpensive items off Amazon. First in order of importance is a new mouse pad of the secondary PC. The one it uses now is the pits. It doesn't stick to the surface on which it lies worth a darn.
Conversely, mice do not glide smoothly on its upper surface. I'd have replaced it long ago expect that, like so much else, decent quality inexpensive mouse pads are not to be found locally. (The one I ordered is all of $4US.) Second in importance, an inexpensive six socket surge protector with flat wall plug, which will let me move the old roll-top desk closer to the wall. ($10US, if memory serves.) The other two items are inconsequential for the immediate future.

I suppose I should mention that I got in an exercise-walk this morning, with heart readings on par with my norm.
TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 27 2017, 07:03 PM) *

This was the day I hoped to solve my final issue with the new PC, then swap locations between it and my i7-930 PC so that the i7-7700k could become my primary rig.

The issue to resolve pre swap was that the new PC would not go into sleep mode. You might recall that this happened once before. That time it was fixed by having the PC leave my homegroup. A not ideal solution, but workable. That didn't work this time. Worse, the monitor began waking within a second or two of sleep, which hadn't been a symptom before. I did a lot of web research on the matter. Found a wealth of advice, little of which applied to my particular situation, none of which helped. In the end I found and fixed problem on my own. I still want the new PC to sleep when part of my homegroup, but that can wait.

Made the swap right after lunch. In the process I swapped out an old CAT cable connecting my primary rig to the router for one of the CAT-7 cables ordered off NewEgg last week.

Boy do I wish the new rig's case had casters like the Cooler Master HAF!!!! I'm gonna have to do something about that before too long.

Configured the new rig to utilize my four speakers. Sound is not quite as good as with my Sound Blaster X-fi, but we're talking build-in motherboard sound vs a fairly top-of-the-line add-on audio card. I'd love to transfer the X-fi to the new rig, but it's a PCI card so not compatible with the latest generation of motherboards, which abandon PCI for PCIe. Still, I'm not terribly displeased. Fired up Oblivion long enough to hear fairly decent sound that pans to the appropriate channel as my avatar turns.

On a sad note, once the i7-930 was in its new location I had the disheartening task of switching it from X-fi sound to the PC monitor's absolutely retched built-in speakers. O how the mighty have fallen!

Disabled more of Win10's annoyances. My modem's activity light is active appreciably less often now.

Moved my beloved super cheap ancient ergonomic keyboard to the secondary PC. I'm auditioning a much newer MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 on the primary rig. The Natural is in theory a better keyboard. That may be, but I'm having a heck of a time getting used to the Natural, my right hand more so than the left.

O yeah. I ordered a few inexpensive items off Amazon. First in order of importance is a new mouse pad of the secondary PC. The one it uses now is the pits. It doesn't stick to the surface on which it lies worth a darn.
Conversely, mice do not glide smoothly on its upper surface. I'd have replaced it long ago expect that, like so much else, decent quality inexpensive mouse pads are not to be found locally. (The one I ordered is all of $4US.) Second in importance, an inexpensive six socket surge protector with flat wall plug, which will let me move the old roll-top desk closer to the wall. ($10US, if memory serves.) The other two items are inconsequential for the immediate future.

I suppose I should mention that I got in an exercise-walk this morning, with heart readings on par with my norm.

Khajiit's pc case is a Cooler Master HAF 912. Love it
Decrepit
Forgot to install printer drivers and software on the new PC until too late last night. Did so first thing this morning. All went well until I made a test print of my most recent Amazon order invoice. Instead of printing both sides of the same piece of paper, as it did with that same printer attached to the i7-930, it printed as two separate sheets. I fiddled with printer settings. It didn’t help. I fired up the i7-930 and compared settings between the two. They match. In the end I (hopefully) solved the issue by enabling a setting not required by the i7-930. Leastwise that one invoice now prints front and back on a single sheet of paper. I need to do more testing, but as luck would have it am almost out of printer paper.

Doh! A new issue has reared its ugly head. Waking the computer after my daily walk, all opened Firefox tabs were solid black. Refreshing them did no good. Newly launched tabs were also solid black. Had to completely exit and restart the browser to set things right. This new rig has "not" done this before. No idea what caused it. Thanks Obama!

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 27 2017, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 27 2017, 07:03 PM) *

Khajiit's pc case is a Cooler Master HAF 912. Love it.

Mine's the 932, an old model lacking USB 3.0 ports on the front panel. Otherwise it seems outwardly identical to 932s offered today. I love mine too. A slight ding...the motherboard tray CPU cutout is too small to be useful. (The Phanteks Enthoo Pro is much better in that regard.) Another...no accommodation for SSDs, though this can be worked around. (I bought inexpensive adapters.) I suspect current models have rectified this. Had it been within my budget, I'd have been sorely tempted to buy a second 932 for the new PC.
Decrepit
Not a lot to report project wise. Prepared and installed a few more BAIN packages for the new PC's experimental Oblivion install, which remains far from the stage where my avatar can leave his Imperial Prison cell corner. This morning I copied all BAIN packages in the i7-930's BAIN installers folder to a folder shared between the two computers. That way those packages which do NOT need updating or modification can and will be easily added to experimental install.

Created a Win10 Partition Master Pro boot disk for emergencies. Took ages to write the CD. Not that that matters much these days when the process can be done in the background while I use the PC for other things.

Barring the unexpected (or my decrepit memory) I'll mow the lawn right after lunch. It'll be a bit warmer than I ideally prefer, but that's to be expected this time of year, and the day is forecast to be cloudy, which should help.

And now I depart for my daily exercise-walk...

Part 2:
Mowed immediately after lunch. Was supposed to be overcast. It was...for the first half minute I left the house. Was more sunny than cloudy from then until the end of my mow. Still, it got done, in more comfort than will be the case once it gets super hot.

Added a few more texture replacement BAIN packages to my experimental Oblivion install. Going with different textures for IC and Anvil than those used in my 2nd play-through install. Added a texture package for Leyawiin, which I've not done before. It's slow going, as at the very least I must double check each 2nd play-through mod I want to keep for updates before dropping it in the experimental install's BAIN installers folder. Still haven't decided on adding OR and/or an ENB. Too many mods still come BAIN unfriendly. It's usually an easy matter to convert 'em, but it takes time. So does cleaning ESPs with TES4edit. At some point I face the scary task of trying to convert an old patch to work with a mod which has had its name changed. My hope is that there are no "actual" changes in the areas the patch touches. I've never done anything with CSE other than create LandscapeLOD textures, so worry I'll botch things up royally.
Decrepit
Aside from a morning exercise-walk, my entire "productive" laugh.gif day has been devoted to the in-progress experimental modded Oblivion build. For all the work I've put in to it outward results are slim. Lots of work has gone on behind the scenes but that doesn't translate into a lengthy Load Order. At the moment mine's still quite small:

My Install Order is larger, but I'm not quite ready to show that yet.

There are no real surprises above. The main change thus far is switching from a variety of face enhancements to OCOv2. I also at long last made the jump from Roads & Bridges + West Roads to their combined successor, Roads of Cyrodiil. I held off as long as I did become I prefer the the old Roads & Bridges + Fort Akatosh Redux patch (created by the fort's author) to the newer Roads of Cyrodiil + Fort Akatosh Delux patch (created by RoC's author.) I thought about trying to update the old patch to work with RoC, but can't for the life of me figure out how to change master dependency.

Down the pike I'm swapping my old Giskard Fighters Guild Quests mod for a more feature rich alternative. Vampire Hunting - Order of the Virtuos Blood mod has been significantly improved since the early version used in my second play-through. Other old standby quest mods have newer versions available, but those are mostly tweaks. (I'll install them none the less.)

Unique Landscapes is gonna be work. All have newer versions than those in my second play-through. I sure hope those don't need TES4edit cleaning! Not yet sure which UL's I'm install beyond the seven or nine in my second play-through. I know of two for-sure additions. Beyond that????? We shall see.

My RAEVWD BAIN package collection is a mess. Gonna have to do something about that soon.

I need to figure out how to incorporate my many self-gathered coordinates into the latest version of tes4ll (LandscapeLOD generator). (The version I've used until now is rather ancient.)

Still haven't made up my mind as to Oblivion Reloaded and/or an ENB, or neither. (Seems almost a shame to not at least try 'em.)

Back to the build process, I have a decent number of Texture and Mesh replaces installed, but not nearly enough. I wouldn't mind if, by when done, not a single original Bethesda texture remains. Ain't gonna happen, but I intend to give it my best shot.
Decrepit
Got in my daily walk by waiting a while longer than ideal to miss our off-again on-again rains. Hearts reading afterward in line with my norm.

Been procrastinating ever since. What I need to be doing is figuring out how to transfer my many self-gathered landscape coordinates into the latest version of tes4ll. These things don't come as easy for me as they did when I was creating LandscapeLOD mesh sets with a now ancient version of tes4ll four years ago. I also need to relearn how to create decent quality LandscapeLOD color maps. Maybe normals too, but I'll see how tes4ll handles those first.
mirocu
Project Fix Cavator's Fan and Heater is on hold; mechanic is on vacation... tongue.gif

mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 1 2017, 10:03 AM) *

Project Fix Cavator's Fan and Heater is on hold; mechanic is on vacation... tongue.gif

Some people have all the luck!

Decrepit
Spent the entire afternoon tracking down two visual anomalies on the Imperial Isle bridge linking Market District to Imperial Prison. One, four hanging banners floating in air along the bridge, ended up being caused by a Roads of Cyrodiil / Region Revive - Lake Rumare patch that isn't needed. I should have caught it sooner than I did, but no other patch in my collection covers that exact mod combo. Apparently what needs patching between the two is now handled by other Imperial Isle patches. I certainly hope so!

The second issue, two flames floating in air along the bridge, did not go away after removing the not needed patch. Unlike the banners, Refscope can not identify which mod controls those flames. This one had me scratching my head. At long last a dim memory came to me of having faced this same issue back in 2009, when I first began modding Oblivion. Having a somewhat functional brain back then, I discovered the anomaly's source by taking the flames' coordinates then using TES4edit to search my several mods effecting the bridge. Sure enough, one of them placed a pair of flames in those exact spots. Their references were removed, again with TES4edit. Solved.

My mistake was in downloading a fresh copy of the mod to use with the experimental install. My saving grace is in having retained the old corrected esp, still in use in second play-through.

No walk today due to rain.

Grocery run late morning, Bought a somewhat different combo of vegetable hoping to improve my supper salads, which I grow increasingly tired of.
SubRosa
My old Windows XP box died of motherboard issues. Since I have had it about 14 years or so, I cannot complain. I decided to replace it with a laptop instead of another desktop. I have been considering moving my computers from the living room to bedroom, and that would make it much easier. And if not, it still works just as well where my old desktop was.

Today I brought home an MSI from Micro Center. Pretty powerful, though Freya is not impressed. It has been updating Windows 10 for hours. That I was not thrilled with. But it is impossible to buy anything new with Win 7, and I doubt 7 would have the device drivers for all the hardware on the laptop.

It does not have an optical drive at all. How technology changes. It is like the Grand Cherokee I bought back in January. It does not have a cd player. They don't make them for cars anymore. I ordered an external blu-ray burner to go with it. I would have bought one at Micro Center, but the only one they had was USB 2.0. Since the laptop has USB 3.0 ports, I don't want to go slower than necessary. So I found a USB 3.0 writer online. Hopefully Windows will be finished updating by the time it comes in the mail...
Decrepit
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 3 2017, 07:50 PM) *

My old Windows XP box died of motherboard issues. Since I have had it about 14 years or so, I cannot complain. I decided to replace it with a laptop instead of another desktop. I have been considering moving my computers from the living room to bedroom, and that would make it much easier. And if not, it still works just as well where my old desktop was.

Today I brought home an MSI from Micro Center. Pretty powerful, though Freya is not impressed. It has been updating Windows 10 for hours. That was not impressed with. But it is impossible to buy anything new with Win 7, and I doubt 7 would have the device drivers for all the hardware on the laptop.

It does not have an optical drive at all. How technology changes. It is like the Grand Cherokee I bought back in January. It does not have a cd player. They don't make them for cars anymore. I ordered an external blu-ray burner to go with it. I would have bought one at Micro Center, but the only one they had was USB 2.0. Since the laptop has USB 3.0 ports, I don't want to go slower than necessary. So I found a USB 3.0 writer online. Hopefully Windows will be finished updating by the time it comes in the mail...

Yeah. While deciding on a case for my new PC build I needed to eliminate several otherwise acceptable candidates because they lacked 5 1/4" bays on the front. You've been using an old XP computer all this time? I gave mine to GoodWill (minus its hard drives) not a month ago. It wouldn't boot, or rather in turned on but shut itself down almost immediately. Didn't even make it to the BIOS screen. Not sure what's up with that. I'd not used it in years. It might have bit the dust like yours, or just at likely I may have at some now forgotten point stripped out some essential component to reuse in a later build.

Speaking of computers, my new build is now fully assembled. There are other things I want to buy for the setup.... external storage, maybe a UPS, a real desk for the secondary PC, and so on... but none of those are absolutely essential.
mALX
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 3 2017, 08:50 PM) *

Today I brought home an MSI from Micro Center. Pretty powerful, though Freya is not impressed. It has been updating Windows 10 for hours. That was not impressed with. But it is impossible to buy anything new with Win 7, and I doubt 7 would have the device drivers for all the hardware on the laptop.

Freya is too classy to be impressed by a glowing keyboard unless it is Alienware! laugh.gif
mALX
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 3 2017, 08:50 PM) *

I have been considering moving my computers from the living room to bedroom, and that would make it much easier.

Did someone say bedroom and computers?

http://photo.foter.com/photos/341/computer...n-wheels-31.jpg

What I was looking at when my son and I first moved was some kind of mobile desk that I could take the computer from the living room to the bedroom with ease = something like this:

http://photo.foter.com/photos/309/desks-ca...orage-and-1.jpg

Back then, they wanted an arm and a leg for them so I ended up with something much bulkier and not mobile at all for a lot less. And of course, now the price has become reasonable on these mobile computer stations! This one would hold both my computer towers, too! Urk.

Decrepit
Not much to report, Oblivion build wise, though I put a lot of time and effort into it today.

At long last figured out how to get TES4Gecko to work with Windows 10. I can now (but haven't yet) experiment with transforming the old NRB + FAR patch into a ROC + FAR patch.

Added Elsweyr and supplements to my Load Order. Had to re download everything, as my second play-through uses a now obsolete Elsweyr build. (The most recent is Mar 2014.)

Created new sets of LandscapeLOD meshes, normals, and color maps. I'm not ecstatic about the color maps. I used to be able to create color maps I prefer to these. But I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. (tes4ll did NOT have that function at the time, so it can't be tes4ll.)

Launched the game only once thus far today, to create a new save after added Elsweyr. I'll likely play a bit again to ensure all's well once the final LandscapeLOD BAIN package is in place.

Creating all these LandscapeLOD packages is in a since needless, as I'll be adding mods that make these obsolete within a day or two. But I need to get back in practice.

O yeah, either early this morning or sometime yesterday I took coordinates to fix a landscapeLOD anomaly at the north end of the Imperial Isle North Bridge. (The road didn't extend to the Bridge.) I don't understand why the anomaly was there in the first place. In my second play-through install tes4ll fixes it, and I transferred all self-gathered coordinate files to the new install.
Decrepit
Woke just after midnight. Living room light still on, which meant the computer was too. Reluctantly got up and shut everything down. Went back to bed. Could not fall asleep. Gave up the effort and returned to the computer circa 0115, breaking a cardinal rule of never turning on the PC earlier than 0330.

The bulk of my day was spent installing mods into my experimental Oblivion build. I was more successful than yesterday, when few installs pleased me. (I backed out of most of them.) I'm still a long way from the beginning of true play-through.

I very much like the new IC textures I installed. Very different from what I'm used to. Took a while to adjust to them.

I've mixed feelings toward the Imperial Arena mod I installed. It's more than just a retexture, including an esp. Not sure what the esp does. I believe spectator cheering is more "spectacular". The textures don't blend well with the rest of IC...being colorful and not overly hi-res. That bothers me, but for now I'll live with it. (My avatar bet on Blue and won.)

Trying a Leyawiin texture pack, first time I've retextured that city. I believe all other cities keep textures they used in my second play-through.

Trying Real Lights. Like it for building interiors. The combo of it and Cava Obscura might be too much (darkness wise) for "dungeon" interiors. VERY small light radius holding a touch, otherwise total blackness (assuming no light source nearby).

Discovered that OCOv2 offers more race choices at Character Creature, including several bearded Nords. Created a bearded Hamfat. Don't think I saved it. Sad thing is, I was happier with his unbearded portions than with any previous creation attempts this build.

Needed to call AT&T customer service right after supper to figure out why I couldn't check email. It proved to be a quick, easy fix.

mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 7 2017, 07:37 PM) *

Woke just after midnight. Living room light still on, which meant the computer was too. Reluctantly got up and shut everything down. Went back to bed. Could not fall asleep. Gave up the effort and returned to the computer circa 0115, breaking a cardinal rule of never turning on the PC earlier than 0330.

The bulk of my day was spent installing mods into my experimental Oblivion build. I was more successful than yesterday, when few installs pleased me. (I backed out of most of them.) I'm still a long way from the beginning of true play-through.

I very much like the new IC textures I installed. Very different from what I'm used to. Took a while to adjust to them.

I've mixed feelings toward the Imperial Arena mod I installed. It's more than just a retexture, including an esp. Not sure what the esp does. I believe spectator cheering is more "spectacular". The textures don't blend well with the rest of IC...being colorful and not overly hi-res. That bothers me, but for now I'll live with it. (My avatar bet on Blue and won.)

Trying a Leyawiin texture pack, first time I've retextured that city. I believe all other cities keep textures they used in my second play-through.

Trying Real Lights. Like it for building interiors. The combo of it and Cava Obscura might be too much (darkness wise) for "dungeon" interiors. VERY small light radius holding a touch, otherwise total blackness (assuming no light source nearby).

Discovered that OCOv2 offers more race choices at Character Creature, including several bearded Nords. Created a bearded Hamfat. Don't think I saved it. Sad thing is, I was happier with his unbearded portions than with any previous creation attempts this build.

Needed to call AT&T customer service right after supper to figure out why I couldn't check email. It proved to be a quick, easy fix.

Screens so we can ooh and aah over them?

SubRosa
QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 7 2017, 07:58 PM) *

Yes, pics or it didn't happen... wink.gif
Decrepit
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 7 2017, 07:45 PM) *

Someday I'll be far enough along to want to save more than the occasional token image for prosperity. At the rate I'm going let's hope I hold up into my 90s. biggrin.gif

(There's a new capture in the What are you playing? thread in which can be seen a bit of Imperial City outer wall with new texturing. All else is transfered from my second play-through. Well, grass is vanilla. I hope to rectify that before too long.)
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 9 2017, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 7 2017, 07:45 PM) *

Someday I'll be far enough along to want to save more than the occasional token image for prosperity. At the rate I'm going let's hope I hold up into my 90s. biggrin.gif

(There's a new capture in the What are you playing? thread in which can be seen a bit of Imperial City outer wall with new texturing. All else is transfered from my second play-through. Well, grass is vanilla. I hope to rectify that before too long.)

Making us work for the view, huh? laugh.gif

Decrepit
QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 9 2017, 07:19 PM) *

There another new view in the Oblivion Screenshots thread, though it shows the Imperial City only from afar.
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 9 2017, 08:30 PM) *

There another new view in the Oblivion Screenshots thread, though it shows the Imperial City only from afar.

I did notice how good the road looked in that IC from the distance shot; but it wasn't as outstanding an example as the Anvil one you posted on here was.

Decrepit
QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 9 2017, 08:39 PM) *

I did notice how good the road looked in that IC from the distance shot; but it wasn't as outstanding an example as the Anvil one you posted on here was.

Anvil? I must be extra senile today. Can't for the life of me recall what shot you refer to. Refresh me please.
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 9 2017, 11:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 9 2017, 08:39 PM) *

Anvil? I must be extra senile today. Can't for the life of me recall what shot you refer to. Refresh me please.

I'm not finding it now, and when I saw it I was viewing it in my email inbox. It was taken in Anvil and showed a unique thing that may or may not have been around the tree/bench area. The graphics were positively stunning; I drooled all over my keyboard! I'd most def recognize the shot if I saw it again, just can't find it now, or even where that post went. verysad.gif

mirocu
Ongoing project: Finding another job closer to home tongue.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 10 2017, 11:00 AM) *

BWAAHAA! Well, at least your project isn't to quit the job/working altogether! laugh.gif

Decrepit
I intended to devote a portion of the day to installing some of the too many Unique Landscape modules and quest mods my experimental play-through still lacks. I managed to add two ULs, Castle SeaView and Millstone Farm, along with needed patches. I then moved on to installing the various free-standing grasses, flora, and tree improvements recommended by Bevilex. Early changes weren't all that impressive. As I added more mods from the list things started to click. With everything now in place I think it a very nice improvement. I don't yet know how my hand-picked Lush & Gaudy grass overwrites, seen a good many second play-through captures, will work out with this combo, as none effect the Imperial Isle. Worse come to worst I'll get rid of any that don't fit in.

This was also grocery day, with me adding radishes to my fresh vegetable horde and buying a new-to-me salad dressing I rather like. Otherwise my grocery list was same-old same-old.
mirocu
QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 10 2017, 05:50 PM) *

BWAAHAA! Well, at least your project isn't to quit the job/working altogether! laugh.gif

Well... hrrm..... *cough*

whistling.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 11 2017, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 10 2017, 05:50 PM) *

Well... hrrm..... *cough*

whistling.gif

rollinglaugh.gif
Decrepit
My Oblivion experimental build project for the morning has been to replace a few grass textures I don't like with something more pleasing. Took awhile to figure out exactly which texture/meshes the offenders were. That done I searched my various grass replacer downloads. One of Disovery1's mods contains suitable replacements for those particular grasses. They are now installed. I suspect I'll be fine tuning free-standing grass for some time to come.

Been looking over the various Hesu Collection? mods. Some very nice stuff! I'd like to try a few but fear they'll conflict with a couple of less popular mods I run, which are unlikely to be patched for compatibility. We shall see.
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 14 2017, 09:55 AM) *

My Oblivion experimental build project for the morning has been to replace a few grass textures I don't like with something more pleasing. Took awhile to figure out exactly which texture/meshes the offenders were. That done I searched my various grass replacer downloads. One of Disovery1's mods contains suitable replacements for those particular grasses. They are now installed. I suspect I'll be fine tuning free-standing grass for some time to come.

Been looking over the various Hesu Collection? mods. Some very nice stuff! I'd like to try a few but fear they'll conflict with a couple of less popular mods I run, which are unlikely to be patched for compatibility. We shall see.

Yeah, I think you said you use "Better Landscapes" - this would most def conflict with that. Some of them look Awesome, some of them I wouldn't have wanted the changes - but that is a whole lot of work went into that mod, and I love the story behind how it was found and brought to the western world!
Decrepit
QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 14 2017, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 14 2017, 09:55 AM) *

Yeah, I think you said you use "Better Landscapes" - this would most def conflict with that. Some of them look Awesome, some of them I wouldn't have wanted the changes - but that is a whole lot of work went into that mod, and I love the story behind how it was found and brought to the western world!

As to Unique Landscapes, I use a grand total of seven for my seven for my second play-through, and have added two others to the experimental install. (I wanted to add one other UL, but would have to forego a favorite quest mod to do so.) It figures that one UL does indeed conflict with the first Hesu mod I'd like to try. That said, the UL in question is Cliffs of Anvil. Of ULs I use, it's the one I can most willingly do without. Problem is, the Hesu also conflicts with another of my quest mods. There is no patch. I'm going to report it to fellow patching the Hesu mods and hope for the best.
Decrepit
Other than a morning exercise-walk, today's projects all relate to my experimental Oblivion install. I monkeyed with different shrub and freestanding grass textures, but in the end kept those already in place. I installed Sounds Of Cyrodiil with the No Disencumbered Voices patch. Maybe I misunderstand what the patch is supposed to do, but my OCOv2 avatar zoned into IC Market District to be greeting by the sound of a horde of people who weren't there. That's a lease breaker for me. Just as well, several minutes later, still in the market district, the game froze. Had to reboot the PC to get out of it. Sounds of Cyrodill was uninstalled posthaste. Some things aren't meant to be, I guess.
Decrepit
Last night I incorporated hand-gathered landscape coordinates for a ridge top between Imperial Isle East Bridge (Roads of Cyrodiil) and the City wall into my tes4ll Imp Isle .dat file. First thing this morning I created a new set of LandscapeLOD meshes to include those coordinates. Had just enough time before breakfast to fire up Oblivion and let my OCOv2 avatar walk from Sewer Exit to that particular ridge. The new coordinates indeed make LandscapeLOD and near field representations of the ridge much closer to identical. Before, the landscapeLOD mesh depicted the ridge top as being noticeably lower. Not a profound change, but LandscapeLOD mismatches have always bothered me, even back when we could do nothing about it.

ADDENDUM:
Just corrected a potential Oblivion LoadOrder faux pas. It only this morning dawned on me that I have thus far neglected to install the mod "Active Inventory Spell", which my avatar uses to gain access to NPC gear so that he can repair it for them (and occasionally give them better weapons and armor). For some reason I mistakenly moved it to my "mods no longer needed" folder then proceeded to forget about it... until now.
Decrepit
I felt extra crappy all day yesterday so did little other than audition two full Oblivion Landscape Texture Packs, those by Discovery1 and Lougain, the latter recommended by Bevilex. In both cases I felt the packs contain some fine textures, but in the end still prefer my cobbled together goulash of bits and pieces from various texture packs (including a few from Discovery1).

This morning I finalized and printed a Neurology Report begun Sunday, in preparation for this morning's Neurology Clinic visit.

Needing to drive into town today for the Neurology Clinic visit, I postponed Monday's grocery run and will instead do so today on the way home.

I might do a partial lawn mow this evening as the sun sets. It's getting too hot to mow sooner, except early mornings when the lawn is too wet.
mirocu
Good luck at the clinic, Decrepit!

As for me I'm currently on a project bettering another tractor road. I have to work in a rather steep slope though so I have to be careful not tipping the machine.

My other project is a hard one; enjoying my vacation! biggrin.gif
Decrepit
My scary project for the day is yet to come. I still plan to attempt an at least partial lawn mow near sunset. Gonna be hot as all get out. But the rest of the week is hotter still, and the grass won't get any shorted the longer I wait. My thought it to do a portent tonight and finish up same time tomorrow, or maybe break it into thirds. I hate doing it that way, but better that than heat stroke.

An earlier project: Submitted possible mod conflicts between three Hesu Collection mods and two Dragon Captions mods, those being Pride of Wolfs Gate and Kvatch Guard Towers. I've used the two DC mods since my first play-through, and would like to add two of the potentially conflicting Hesu mods to my experimental Oblivion build.

ADDENDUM: Now circa 1938 I'm in from mowing the lawn. Fool that I am, I mowed the whole thing. Got going and just couldn't stop myself. There came a point when I felt I should have stopped for the day, but by then only a relatively small patch of front yard remained uncut. Heart reading almost immediately afterward is surprisingly good: Blood Pressure 101/61, Pulse 88. Feel a bit lightheaded and of course tired and sweaty, but otherwise okay...for me.
Decrepit
Bloody 'ell, what a mess! panic.gif

Yesterday afternoon I decided to tackle my PC's sound production problem, which you might recall is, or was, that the left rear speaker either produced distorted sound or no sound at all. I did the normal jiggling of connection wires/cables to no avail other than occasionalyl switches from distortion to nothing and vice versa. Decided to remove my Yamaha 4-channel power amp and substitute the amp section of an old NEC a/v receiver collecting dust on a living room shelf.

Man o man is it heavy! Which is why I've been reluctant to make the switch. Made the move easier for myself by placing a desk chair with casters next to the NEC, transferring the receiver from shelf to chair, rolling chair to the computer room, then transferring the NEC from chair to its tentative new home. Even with the chair the small amount of lifting and carrying I had to do was very nearly too much for me.

NEC in place, I removed pre-power amp bridge devices from the four channels I need to use. Installed banana plugs on all four speakers cables at the receiver end. (Neither the Yamaha amp nor the speakers themselves accept banana plugs.) Hooked up speakers. Hooked up RCA audio cables Booted computer. Switched on NEC.

Eeeeep! While clean sound emitted from all four speakers, it was accompanied by loud hum, noises and crackling. Spent the rest of the afternoon and much of the evening hoping to solve that, to no avail. In the process I replaced all speaker cables (which needed doing in any case) and rerouted cabling to avoid electrical interference is so far as that is possible (which also needed doing). Reconnected the NEC's pre and power amp sections, and attached the PCs audio cables to the NEC's External 7.1 device inputs. Nothing helped.

There came a point when I knew I was better off with the Yamaha and its one flaky channel. A regrettable lesser of evils as it were. Removed connections from the NEC, removed the NEC itself (poor back), removed banana plugs from speaker cables, put the Yamaha back in place, restored its connections to the PC, booted the PC, switched on the Yamaha.

Now both rear and FRONT left speakers produced distorted sound! Nothing I tried fixed it. I had one last trick up my sleeve, one I did NOT want to resort to since it forces me to run in 2-channel mode. By then it was well past 2300, too late to try my last remaining option and get any sleep at all. Went to bed. Managed maybe 2 1/2 hrs shuteye.

Starting back in before breakfast, Removed connections from the Yamaha, removed the Yamaha, restored banana plugs to speaker cables (sigh), yet again set the NEC in place, hooked up speakers. Here comes the difference. Rather than use RCA cabling to connect PC to NEC I opted for S/PDIF, with its regrettable 2-channel limit. Fired up the PC. Configured PC for S/PDIF. Switched on the Yamaha. Set Yamaha to use its S/PDIF input. Tested. Clean sound. No dead channels, hum, noise or distortions. Success, with the big caveat of losing discrete 4-channel mode.

I can still utilize my two rear speakers thanks to the NECs many surround-sound options. Applying one of those makes music and speech every bit as good as, and often better than, the PCs discrete 4-channel mode. The bummer, and its a major bummer, is that I've lost all sense of directionality for sounds emanating to the rear in Oblivion, and I assume Minecraft and other games. That's gonna be hard to swallow. Very hard.

As if all this isn't enough....all of a sudden my PC monitor will not wake from sleep mode! The computer itself wakes just fine. Not that it matters. All I can do is switch the PC power supply off and on, wait a few seconds and turn on the computer. The monitor responds normally to a cold boot, until the first time it enters sleep mode, when the cycle begins anew. Disabling monitor sleep in Win10 power options does not prevent the monitor from sleeping and not waking. What a mess. Which is where we came in.
Acadian
panic.gif is right! Wow, sorry, Decrepit. kvright.gif
mirocu
Gee, what a mess indeed! Puter problems are such a pain to fix sometimes and you seem to have been hit on several fronts, Decrepit. Is there anyone who might be able to come around and help you?
Decrepit
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 21 2017, 04:35 AM) *

Gee, what a mess indeed! Puter problems are such a pain to fix sometimes and you seem to have been hit on several fronts, Decrepit. Is there anyone who might be able to come around and help you?

At to that, no. I consider myself more computer savvy than most, at least when it comes to "normal" consumer PC matters. I learned decades ago not to rely on "professional" PC repair services.

Looking back, I wish I had done more experiments with the Yamaha in place "before" the left front went flaky on me. But it seemed so cut and dry at the start. The rear left channel being flaky was a long know issue. The problem, as I saw it, was that it had become constant rather than sporadic. Attaching the PC to the NEC power-amp section seemed logical too, though admittedly NEC does not mention that usage in its manual, as why should they? It "is" rather unorthodox.

As to the monitor, who knows? Something changed during my sound battles. But what? Settings look no different from what I had before. I suspect I'll figure this out eventually. In the meantime, it seems that if I physically turn off the monitor when leaving the PC long enough for it to go into sleep mode, I can wake the computer when ready then switch on the monitor and all's well. Not an ideal solution, as I have to remember to turn off the monitor, which with me is far from a given.

The semi good new is that, near the end of the day yesterday, I forgot to switch off the monitor yet it woke from sleep when the PC did. The semi bad news is that that happened with the monitor still set to not sleep at all.
Decrepit
Good news. The PC monitor sleep situation has apparently worked itself out. <crosses fingers> I set it nod off after 5 min inactively. Took a break long enough for both monitor and PC to fall asleep. Both woke as they should. Only test left is to see if the monitor wakes on its own set to 5 min without the PC having been asleep.

ADDENDUM: All's well, PC monitor waking wise.
Decrepit
Took an exercise-walk at 0600. Excessive heat warning later today. At 0600 temp was tolerable but boy was it muggy! Heart reading circa 15min following return: Blood Pressure 96/58, Pulse 73.

Didn't feel well all yesterday so did no projects to speak of. Ordered two six-foot PC 3.5mm to RCA audio cables off Amazon, along with a neck pillow which will almost certainly prove as ineffective as all such devices I've tried. As to the PC cables, replacing mine is something I ought to have done before swapping the Yamaha power amp for the NEC receiver earlier this week. The PC audio cables I used up to the switch are a jerry-rigged affair, consisting of several short RCA cables linked together then connected the the PC 3.5mm audio cable. Those RCA cables are likely 25-35 years old and weren't best quality when new. For some odd reason it never dawned on me to replace 'em with something better until yesterday...likely too late from them to solve my PC audio dilemma, assuming cabling contributed to it, which might not be the case.

Once the new cables arrive I might or might not experiment further with the Yamaha. One thing for sure. I am NOT lifting the NEC again for any reason unless experiments prove I can safely return to the Yamaha with full discrete four-channel sound restored.

Yesterday evening I studied how to use both Oblivion Reloaded and an ENB together, but couldn't maintain focus long enough to understand instructions.

Almost forgot. One reason I placed an order with Amazon yesterday was to buy a set of casters for a contemplated PC case rolling base attachment. Was already in the process of putting the order together when I decided to take a quick break and grab something from a section of kitchen pantry I use to house misc. "project" items such as glues, electrical and other tape and so on. Rummaging through that cabinet's far rear corner I miraculously unearthed a set of four casters of the exact size and type needed. I had no idea they existed. Prolly been in that corner the better part of two decades if not longer.
Acadian
Decrepit, those casters were a nice find! Glad you got your puter's sleeping problems fixed. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.