Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The SimCity and Sims series
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
mirocu
I thought Iīd make a thread about this as Iīm just about to replay SimCity 3000 smile.gif

As I mentioned, when I played it before it literally missed me off when people fled my city even though everything was peechy. But when I started to play cookie clicker and saw those funny little updates I was so reminded of SimCity since that game has them too and I liked them. I also liked how far down you could zoom and watch your Sims wander around or watch yet another traffic jam involving both cars and trains! laugh.gif The game should arrive this or next week and I canīt wait to be mayor once again! biggrin.gif

Anyone else who likes either of the game series? smile.gif
Callidus Thorn
I played a Sims game once, back when I first got a Gamecube. That lasted maybe a week. I bought my Sim a telescope and he was abducted by aliens. At that point I lost interest.

I had Simcity 3000 years ago, and it was pretty good fun. I never figured out what happened to it, but it just disappeared. I'd been considering picking up Sim City 4, but I doubt it would run on my current laptop.
Elisabeth Hollow
I love the Sims series wub.gif
Colonel Mustard
In the Sims, I always used the Rosebud cheat to build a really awesome house and then never actually bothered putting people in it. I ended up with neighbourhoods that were just uninhabited ghost towns.
King Coin
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Oct 9 2013, 12:20 PM) *

In the Sims, I always used the Rosebud cheat to build a really awesome house and then never actually bothered putting people in it. I ended up with neighbourhoods that were just uninhabited ghost towns.

This. I enjoyed building houses more than actually playing people.
King Of Beasts
I keep forgetting about my sims, lol
mirocu
QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Oct 9 2013, 06:40 PM) *

I love the Sims series wub.gif

Whatīs your favorite expansion? Youīre a girl sooo, Hot Date, right? hubbahubba.gif

-stereotypical mirocu has spoken!-

Actually, my brother wanted that one once so.... tongue.gif
Kiln
QUOTE(King Coin @ Oct 9 2013, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Oct 9 2013, 12:20 PM) *

This. I enjoyed building houses more than actually playing people.

I'm with both of you guys. I spent more time carefully building the houses than I ever did actually managing the sims. I did enjoy that aspect but it was much more fun creating the environment than it was to watch little human hamsters live in it.
mirocu
QUOTE(Kiln @ Oct 10 2013, 09:39 PM) *

it was much more fun creating the environment than it was to watch little human hamsters live in it.

Much like building with Lego. Once the build is done itīs no fun playing with it! tongue.gif

When I get my new town started Iīll post pixies here for anyone who might give a crap smile.gif
mirocu
I might not put pixies up as I apparently made a mistake. I ordered and got SimCity 3000 UK Edition when really I wanted World Edition where you can get it all in Swedish. I canīt play this game in English, it simply doesnīt work for me.

Dammit kvleft.gif
ImperialSnob
QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 11 2013, 03:41 PM) *

I might not put pixies up as I apparently made a mistake. I ordered and got SimCity 3000 UK Edition when really I wanted World Edition where you can get it all in Swedish. I canīt play this game in English, it simply doesnīt work for me.

Dammit kvleft.gif

Get it on GOG
King Of Beasts
One of my sims shocked my other sim, lol

IPB Image
mirocu
QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Oct 11 2013, 06:25 PM) *

Dammit kvleft.gif

Get it on GOG

How does it work? Do I have to use my credit card or something? dry.gif

@Kobby - He gave her a b-slap! laugh.gif
King Of Beasts
She looks like she's in a whole lotta pain, lol. He was supposed to be acting funny rollinglaugh.gif
ImperialSnob
QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 12 2013, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Oct 11 2013, 06:25 PM) *

Dammit kvleft.gif

Get it on GOG

How does it work? Do I have to use my credit card or something? dry.gif

Yes that's how buying things on the internet works.
mirocu
QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Oct 12 2013, 07:59 PM) *

One of the ways, yes. And not one Iīm comfortable with.
ImperialSnob
QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 12 2013, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Oct 12 2013, 07:59 PM) *

One of the ways, yes. And not one Iīm comfortable with.

GOG are very trustworthy if that's what your worried about.

They've been nominated for a Golden Joystick awards up there against Steam.

They sell retro/classic games and indie games all DRM-Free.
Renee
Wow, there IS a Sims thread here.

I just got Sims 3 for PC a couple weeks ago. It's my second computer game (Baldur's Gate was my first) and WOW what a difference from console versions. I bought Sims 3 for console on its release date 3 years ago. Got it for PS3 initially, and later got S3 on Xbox.

I'd always find myself getting TOTALLY obsessed with this game for a week or two, mostly because I can get a different sort of gaming fix with S3 than I can from Elder Scrolls, but then after that time I'd start getting bored with Sims. I really was hoping Sims 3: Seasons would be released for consoles, but Sims Studio mostly only gave us a few fashion DLCs, a couple cars, and then walked away from it.

Well I got Sims 3: Seasons last week and this DLC alone enhances the game in many ways which I was hoping for. One of my characters (Connie Lingus) caught a cold after spending too much time in the rain. She also walked around in wet clothes for a few hours after the rain squall ended. It's details like this which really get me into the game. After Connie's cold was cured, her roommate Ashe Hull then caught a cold the next day! It's as if the computer actually made sure to make this cold possibly contagious from one Sim to the next.

S3 on PC also is a truly open-world game. On consoles there are loading screens (LONG loading screens) every time I want to follow my Sim from one part of town to another. Anyways, I'll start adding my Sims 3 adventures here from now on. Thanks mirocu.
mirocu
Well enjoy your game, Renee! Wish I could do the same tongue.gif Dare I hope for pixies from you in the same style you sometimes had in your Saga updates?
Renee
QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 21 2013, 11:24 AM) *

Well enjoy your game, Renee! Wish I could do the same tongue.gif Dare I hope for pixies from you in the same style you sometimes had in your Saga updates?

Absolutely. Matter of fact, all I gotta do is press C on the keyboard to take a picture. I've got a bunch of 'em, but I keep forgetting to figure out how to view these. Once I figure this out, I'll start adding some pix to this thread.

So you are having an issue with getting the WorldWide version of SC3000 'cause of money? .. I guess I'm a little too trusting. I rarely use a credit card to buy anything online, but in this case I splurged. smile.gif I got Sims 3 on disc from a store, but got Seasons straight from Origin Online. I couldn't wait to get it. I have PayPal account, and I could have just used this to get Seasons, but I don't remember my password. I got impatient and said screw it, I want Seasons NOW. Went ahead and used a c card.

Actually, that is one option, mirocu. If you've got PayPal (or some sort of similar accout) you can perhaps get your game this way? It's also possible that whoever you're ordering from might also take a check?

Callidus Thorn
*Reads names of Renee's Sims*

blink.gif

rollinglaugh.gif
Pseron Wyrd
QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Oct 21 2013, 08:15 AM) *

I got Sims 3: Seasons last week and this DLC alone enhances the game in many ways which I was hoping for. One of my characters (Connie Lingus) caught a cold after spending too much time in the rain. She also walked around in wet clothes for a few hours after the rain squall ended. It's details like this which really get me into the game.

I bet you'll love the Frostfall mod when you get Skyrim for the PC. Braziers and campfires, warm clothing, tents and many other things cease to be mere decorations with this mod. I just love seeing my characters warm their hands in front of a cooking fire - that never gets old. As you say, it's little details like this that bring a character and the world to life in our imaginations.
mirocu
@Renee - Well, the problem is more about even finding the game, at least in physical form which is how I prefer. Idk... Iīm not crashing and burning with this, I just thought it could be fun to play it again but as I had a... erhm... slight incident of misuse with my former copy I need to find a new one and thatīs really hard these days.

Looking forward to your Sims pixies! happy.gif
Renee
CT: Yeah I know, right? Me and my silly names.

PW: Hey thanks for that mod link! smile.gif I've already been to www.modthesims.com and did a bit of window shopping, but I haven't had time to sit down and install my first mod yet. From what I understand, the modding of Sims is not as dynamic as in ES, since Sims Studio doesn't give us the actual tool kit or whatever. I'll definitely try to get that Frostfall mod going.

mirocu: Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find what you're seeking eventually.

Elisabeth Hollow
My Sim just had a baby with her partner smile.gif
SubRosa
I remember playing the original Sim City on a mac. Things would get exciting when Godzilla would show up and go on a rampage. Now those were the days of gaming...
King Of Beasts
The dog scared me, lol. It was curled up in a ball in front of the door, and I thought it died, lol. I panicked a bit, because I'm not sure if things die in sims. It got up and instantly started digging around the yard though, lol
Elisabeth Hollow
In Freeplay, like we have, I don't think things can die.
King Of Beasts
The dog got up and started running around when I pressed it assuming I could dispose of the body, lol. It truly looked dead though, lol
Renee
QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Oct 22 2013, 04:01 PM) *

In Freeplay, like we have, I don't think things can die.

You mean with Free Will cranked all the way to max, they will never die? Interesting. I've seen some Sims do some pretty wacky things, like getting obsessed with exercise to the point that they wind up ignoring (let's say) their Bladder, and within a few they pee themselves. I've also seen them fall flat on their face because they choose not to go to bed, to the point that they literally crash on a floor somewhere. laugh.gif I've always assumed this sort of logic applies to their Hunger as well, but come and think of it, I've never had a Sim die before.
Elisabeth Hollow
No, Freeplay. The smart phone version.
mirocu
You people and the crazy stuff you do with your Sims! rollinglaugh.gif

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Oct 22 2013, 06:43 PM) *

My Sim just had a baby with her partner smile.gif

DīWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! biggrin.gif

@Sub - I remember seeing the original SimCity at a friendīs house. I thought it looked cool but I was never allowed to try myself tongue.gif
King Of Beasts
I'm goin' ghost hunting biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Caught a ghost cool.gif
Elisabeth Hollow
I've got a toddler, become a level three ghost hunter, and have three politicians in the town and two teachers lol
King Of Beasts
I have a scientist in town. rollinglaugh.gif

My other hobby tongue.gif

IPB Image
mirocu
Love them pixies, Kobby! laugh.gif

Didnīt know you could go ghost hunting in Sims, thought you were kidding first tongue.gif
Renee
QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 24 2013, 03:24 AM) *

Love them pixies, Kobby! laugh.gif

Yeah those pics are great!

Didnīt know you could go ghost hunting in Sims, thought you were kidding first tongue.gif

There's a lot you can do. I've had this game since its release 3 years ago yet I feel as if I've barely scratched the surface.

Callidus Thorn
Great. Thanks Kobby, now I've got the theme to Ghostbusters running through my head.

That's gonna be stuck there for hours.

Who you gonna call?
ImperialSnob
QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Oct 24 2013, 05:43 PM) *

Great. Thanks Kobby, now I've got the theme to Ghostbusters running through my head.

That's gonna be stuck there for hours.

Who you gonna call?

Look up Thunderbusters Mashup on youtube smile.gif
Renee
Does anybody know how to upload screenshots here to Chorrol? I keep getting confused. I found a folder full of screenies I've taken, but

Never mind, I figured it out. Here's a few screenshots of my Sims, folks. They're not as cool as Kobbie's, but I just wanted to see if I could actually get this working.

OH and, these are my very first PC screenshots. smile.gif

IPB Image

That one is all three of my Sims. For some reason, I have often have a trio of characters: two women and a daughter. I'm not sure why this is, psychologically. There was one time I had three adults and a child, which was fun, but I usually go for the trio.

Anyways, The lady with the black hair is Ashe Hull. She is an Ambitious Workaholic. She's Neurotic, but also Charismatic, and (I think) a Great Kisser. She wants to become CEO of a corporation; this is her dream in life, and she's doing pretty good at it. Making good money.

Her Roommate (with the greyish hair, although this has recently been dyed a true blonde) is Connie Lingus. Connie is a Loser (she occasionally breaks down in tears for no apparent reason), and also Charismatic, a Schmoozer, and has a couple romantic traits that I'm forgetting the names of. Basically Connie's packed with pretty much useless personality traits that make her great at connecting with random strangers, but she has no real goals in life, other than to hook up with as many other Sims as possible.

The young girl is Princess Hull. She's a Snob, and her other traits escape me at the moment. She's doing well in school, even though I don't think I specifically gave her any traits to enhance this.

IPB Image

In the picture above, here we see Connie getting to know their maid. As we can see, she's rather good at schmoozing and bull****ing. She is able to distract this maid from doing her job, after all.

And now for the last pic.

IPB Image

That's Ashe off to work. I love her business outfits. The game automatically assigns these as she rises up at her job, getting promotion after promotion, and with every promotion she looks a little bit more like she's off to a power lunch or something.
Elisabeth Hollow
Cuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!
Kiln
How is the base game of Sims 3?

I thought about getting it before but don't want to have to buy DLC in order for it to feel like a full game.

Also, can you directly control the Sims like in Sims 2 or is it like the first one where you just click and tell them what to do?
Renee
QUOTE(Kiln @ Oct 24 2013, 08:58 PM) *

How is the base game of Sims 3? I thought about getting it before but don't want to have to buy DLC in order for it to feel like a full game.

You don't need to buy DLC for it, it's a pretty full game with lots to do, and I'm not sure if you're on PC or not, but on PC it's open-world. There's a lot of things I can do on PC that the console versions could not do. I can outline some of these things tomorrow perhaps, but right now I'm aiming for bed. biggrin.gif

You don't have to buy DLC for it, but I went ahead and got Seasons last week. I've been wanting Seasons for a long time, but it's not available on consoles. This DLC adds different seasons (of course), a variety of weathers, and the effects of such on our Sims. So sunburns, freezing, catching colds (etc.) are possible.

Also, can you directly control the Sims like in Sims 2 or is it like the first one where you just click and tell them what to do?

It's like the first one, so no direct-control; only point and click. I don't remember whether the first Sims and Sims 2 featured Free Will or not, but in Sims 3 we can crank this up all the way, and if we don't give them a command, after awhile they'll do their own thing (which we can try to interrupt at any time with a point and click).

I was kinda missing the direct-control of Sims 2, but I've been used to gaming without it for years, now.

Kiln
Thanks. I might check it out but I'm not sure. I used to like The Sims a lot back in the day but haven't played in years now.
mirocu
Yes!!! biggrin.gif Great pixies, Renee! Iīm so glad youīre enjoying your new, snazzy PC happy.gif
Renee
I got up early this morning, made waffles for breakfast, and now I'm eating while playing some Sims 3. smile.gif

Nothing exciting is going on atm. Ashe Hull is about to start another week of power-work. She's a Workaholic and a Loner, so I decided to get her a computer. A laptop. She works at home occasionally, for hours and hours. She just made 384 Simoleans while doing so.

She's made a lot of money over the summer, and she's got over 4 grand saved. It's possible to buy lots (parcels of land) in the PC version of S3, which is probably what she's going to do. Lots are cheaper than actual houses, she can buy a lot for just over 2,000 Simoleans. In contrast, houses start at about 17,000 iirc. After Ashe buys her land, she's going to start building her own house here. This is where it's going to get really cool. I have no idea what sort of house to build.

I'm actually thinking of building a home similar to one I've seen in one of the better neighborhoods nearby me, but I don't know which house yet. I might go out driving around with my cell camera this week, find a cool-looking house, and take a pic of this house (from a safe distance). Then I'll try to replicate the look and layout of Ashe's dream home.

IPB Image

The house they live in now (pictured above) is a starter; one of the houses that is pre-built at the start of the game. It's narrow and gets cramped sometimes. Thank goodness none of my current Sims are slobs! Anyways, instead of buying another house (or modifying the one they live in now), Ashe is going to buy a lot. Then she'll be able to build her dream house slowly.

Connie Lingus is the world's greatest schmoozer. She don't work, don't have a desire to work, and why should she? Ashe makes plenty for the both of them!

IPB Image

At this moment, here we see that the showerhead has sprung a leak. There's a repairwoman trying to fix this, but can't get anything done because Connie won't let her! She keeps chatting and chatting with the poor woman. laugh.gif
mirocu
Great update, Renee smile.gif And I love how you incorporate the pixies like that. Looking forward to see Asheīs new lot and eventually her house as it gets built.

biggrin.gif
Renee
Sims is a different sort of gaming than ES and FO for sure, it's hard to explain. You should eventually get this game, mirocu (or at least rent it to see if you'll like it). You can create a Sim, I'd love to see what you come up with.

And I promise not to give you any [censored] about creating additional Sims. ha ha

That repairwoman got frustrated and left. She fixed the TV, but still hasn't fixed the shower! All 'cause of Connie's desire to be popular. And in the picture below, here we see Connie trying to chat with yet another Sim in Central Park, but it's raining outside, so the other Sim seems to be getting frustrated. See the red symbols above their heads? that means the Sims are having a bad interaction.

IPB Image

I love customizing clothes, and Connie's now wearing her Daisy Duke outfit. :yuck: She is also barefoot. I wonder if she's going to catch another cold due to the rain?
Elisabeth Hollow
I've got so many pics on my phone lol
King Of Beasts
Be awed by the cuteness!!!

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.