Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you get rid of Pop-ups?
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
Renee
My new Hewlett-Packard is great. It's faster than any other computer I've ever used, but there's one super-annoying thing going on, mostly when I'm on the Internet.

POP UPS.

They're everywhere. Roughly every 3 pages I visit, it'll "re-direct" me to a pop-up. An ad. Or sometimes it'll even open up a New Tab to display another page. A "survey" which has NOTHING to do with the page I'm trying to view. Argh it's so annoying! dry.gif

I've got Norton up and running on my comp, and occasionally this service lets me know that it's blocked a website here and there, but how do I get it to simply block ALL the websites I don't want to be re-directed to? Or is Norton not the key at all?

We've got a computer whiz who fixes our work computers every now and again, and I suppose I could ask him these sort of questions; problem is when he shows up, he's usually in-between jobs, and it can be hard to corner him with a bunch of no0b questions. So I'll try asking you here at Chorrol first.

Thanks
Kiln
Here's a good article I found about six months ago searching for basically the same thing.

http://m.wikihow.com/Stop-Internet-Popups
SubRosa
I use Firefox with the Adblock addon. I never get popups or see ads.
Acadian
I use Firefox too and don't have any pop up problems. I just looked under Puter's skirt and I see that the Adblock feature is checked for Firefox. smile.gif
mirocu
Iīm so used to click away ads and pop-ups I donīt even care anymore tongue.gif There is an option in Explorer settings though that allows you to block pop-ups.
haute ecole rider
I use Safari and Chrome on my laptop--they have options to block all pop ups. Works very well.

On my desktop I use Safari in Mac mode and Firefox in PC mode. Adblock on Firefox is good, too.

Don't recall having to deal with unwanted pop ups for quite some time now.
ImperialSnob
You may have AdWare or something.

Use a Malware scanner to scan for malware,I don't know which one to use though.
Renee
Awesome, thanks all. smile.gif

I've got Internet Exploder Explorer on my comp by default, and we've also got this at my job, but there are zero pop-ups on my work computers, so there's gotta be some sort of setting I can just click. But if not, I'll see about getting Safari or Firefox.

Thanks for the link, Kiln. I'll get back to y'all and let you know what happens.
ghastley
QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Nov 19 2013, 01:51 PM) *

I've got Internet Exploder Explorer on my comp by default, and we've also got this at my job, but there are zero pop-ups on my work computers, so there's gotta be some sort of setting I can just click. But if not, I'll see about getting Safari or Firefox.

Thanks for the link, Kiln. I'll get back to y'all and let you know what happens.

You'll probably find at work that they don't get past the proxy (aka firewall) machine that's in between you and the internet. A lot of companies filter in both directions. In my opinion, that's the best approach for home, too, but it's a lot of work to configure a proxy server, and only worth doing if you have a large family with a number of home computers that can share.
mirocu
QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Nov 19 2013, 07:51 PM) *

Try clicking on Tools up in the menu bar, from there you should be able to block pop-ups smile.gif
Renee
Thanks Ghastley, and yup, I found the setting under Tools a couple hours ago, Crow. It's amazing, too. You can customize it to allow certain pop-ups (like the Smiley menu we've got next to our text as we're typing) while keeping all the riff-raff away.

Kiln
Glad you got it all worked out. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.