Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The retrogame thread
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mirocu
As always this time of year I've been playing my NES for a few weeks in the morning. It has become increasingly harder though because my bootleg Ninja Cleaner broke down last year and the official NES cleaner simply isn't as good. More difficult to clean the system as a result but I have been successful playing some games anyway by taking out and inserting the game again and again.

This morning I decided to fire up Contra, or Probotector as it's known over here. Only meant to play a few levels but I ended up playing through the whole game laugh.gif It's not that long anyway.

So yeah, I can now officially say I have beaten Contra before breakfast using the 30 life code -What? mellow.gif
Dark Reaper
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 30 2022, 01:58 AM) *

So yeah, I can now officially say I have beaten Contra before breakfast using the 30 life code -What? mellow.gif

Ah yes the Konami Code that made Contra beatable! I too used that code to beat Contra and I feel no shame in doing it biggrin.gif .
mirocu
NES story time!

I've been having issues with my beloved childhood NES ever since my off-brand cleaning device broke as that was the thing that was essential for the system to work. I haven't found a replacement and I suspect I'm not the only one who's discovered that it's way better than Nintendo's official product.
I tried getting it to work this morning but to no avail, so I fired up the second NES I have that I got as a backup (yup; you know me!). That one worked first try so I played Contra through.

Just now I decided to take my own NES apart again to see if I could clean the internal contacts. This is a risky thing as the screw heads might be damaged and thus impossible to remove and also the plastic they latch on to might give, so I always have to be careful.

I didn't find the contacts too dirty but I got a little bit off and after some fiddling I got the shield underneath back and the connector. Everything but the top shield and the lid itself. I also didn't screw all the screws back, only two in order to provide at least some sturdiness. Plugged it back in and popped in Contra.

It worked! First try! I'm always scared damaging something when I take it apart like this but it all worked fine. I also tried two other games and I did have to fiddle with them a bit before they worked but at least that's much easier now when the lid and top shield are easy to remove. I think I'm gonna leave them loose from now on actually. I would much like it to be all back as it should but if it at least work I can live with it. No idea screwing it all back as having it off makes it easier to clean the contacts with another part of the cleaning kit I have.
Renee
You can take apart a Nintendo? ohmy.gif But you can do this because you have a spare. Gooeness. How many consoles do you have?

Me: Atari 2600 (it's in a box. Probably still works, just need an old CRT TV to find out)
... Nintendo, although I forget if it's NES or SNES
... Playstation 2
.... two Playstation 3s (one is kaput)
... Xbox 360

I skipped the Xbox 1 / PS4 generation. Maybe I'll get one of those too someday.
mirocu
QUOTE(Renee @ May 7 2022, 09:14 PM) *

You can take apart a Nintendo? ohmy.gif

Sure. The NES is just screwed together with Philips screws.

But you can do this because you have a spare.

Yeah, but also because I've done it before so I'm somewhat confident in doing it. And since it wouldn't work anyway I took the risk.

How many consoles do you have?

Two NES, one Mega Drive (Genesis), one xbox 360, one original Game Boy, two clear Game Boy and one Game Boy Light smile.gif
Renee
whoa whoa whoa you have an Xbox? 360??? blink.gif huh.gif What do you play on that? Any Bethesda games? Don't tell me you've still got that all contained in its original box!

No kidding, you have a Sega as well.
mirocu
I got the Xbox three years ago. My boss's kid was about to just throw it away and even though I told him to sell it and get whatever he could for it, he'd just go nah. So instead of letting him throw it away, I took it off his hands. I've never played it and it didn't come with a Beth game or anything interesting. And even if it did, I prefer the PC.

When it comes to consoles I just prefer the NES and Contra/Probotector is something I can always pop in and have a go at! biggrin.gif
Renee
I see. Well if you ever get interested and want to know anything about your free Xbox, I can help.
TheCheshireKhajiit
So Khajiit and Mrs. Khajiit started watching the Star Wars movies in order starting on May 4th because apparently we are suckers for fake holidays. Anyway, as we were watching the pod-racing sequence in The Phantom Menace, Khajiit got a strong desire to play the N64 classic Star Wars: Episode 1- Podracer. As soon as we get the interwebz out where we live now, Khajiit might get it from GOG.
SubRosa
QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 8 2022, 05:23 PM) *

So Khajiit and Mrs. Khajiit started watching the Star Wars movies in order starting on May 4th because apparently we are suckers for fake holidays. Anyway, as we were watching the pod-racing sequence in The Phantom Menace, Khajiit got a strong desire to play the N64 classic Star Wars: Episode 1- Podracer. As soon as we get the interwebz out where we live now, Khajiit might get it from GOG.

I think I still have that one on disc, from way back in the day.
Lena Wolf
QUOTE(Renee @ May 8 2022, 12:51 PM) *

whoa whoa whoa you have an Xbox? 360??? blink.gif huh.gif What do you play on that? Any Bethesda games? Don't tell me you've still got that all contained in its original box!

I've got a 360 too. Well, we technically have two of them but the older one is currently off-line (CDROM not working). We have to share the remaining one. wacko.gif Plenty of games on it still. We saw no reason to upgrade to One (other than to lighten our wallets which we declined).
mirocu
What? The Star Wars prequels are on N64?? blink.gif
TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(mirocu @ May 9 2022, 10:30 AM) *

What? The Star Wars prequels are on N64?? blink.gif

I only remember the podracing game. The Naboo starfighter was an unlockable fighter in the excellent Rogue Squadron, but that game was set during the Galactic Civil War era. I don’t remember any other prequel games on N64.
mirocu
IPB Image

As it's once again Easter I decided to try and fire up my old NES, this being a tradition around this time of year. It's a finicky system to say the least, even back in its heyday, so I didn't have much hope. That was lost a couple years back when my cleaner thing broke which was essential for making it work. I did try anyway and this is what happened.

I first tried Battle of Olympus, a game I never played a whole lot and was never any good at. No dice. All I got was a grey screen and nothing else. So I tried with the first Mega Man. Still nothing. Probotector (Contra)? No. Bubble Bobble? Pffh.

At this point I was about to give up. Without that cleaner I'm basically screwed and I can't seem to find another. Then the idea of blowing into the cartridge hit me. It's what we all used to do back in the day but what's nowadays frowned upon as you don't really want the moist from your breath to get into the system and potentially make it start rusting. Maybe not that big of a risk, but since there are better ways to make it work no one is doing it these days. But I thought hey, it doesn't seem to want to work anyway so why not go for a Hail Mary? So I got the Probotector (Contra) cartridge, blew into its contacts, inserted it into the system and pressed On. It worked! It totally worked, first try! It didn't even give up after a few seconds so I had to redo it! I ended up using the Konami code and played through the whole game. So once again I can say I beat Contra before breakfast biggrin.gif

After all this it was time to stop and go get breakfast. Being who I am though I just had to try Battle of Olympus again, just to see if the magic worked again which I honestly didn't expect. But it did! I blew into the contacts like ye olde days and yes; the game started on the first try!

What can we all make of this then? Two things I reckon; never give up and perhaps us kids weren't that daft after all.... wink.gif
TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 7 2023, 02:40 AM) *

IPB Image

As it's once again Easter I decided to try and fire up my old NES, this being a tradition around this time of year. It's a finicky system to say the least, even back in its heyday, so I didn't have much hope. That was lost a couple years back when my cleaner thing broke which was essential for making it work. I did try anyway and this is what happened.

I first tried Battle of Olympus, a game I never played a whole lot and was never any good at. No dice. All I got was a grey screen and nothing else. So I tried with the first Mega Man. Still nothing. Probotector (Contra)? No. Bubble Bobble? Pffh.

At this point I was about to give up. Without that cleaner I'm basically screwed and I can't seem to find another. Then the idea of blowing into the cartridge hit me. It's what we all used to do back in the day but what's nowadays frowned upon as you don't really want the moist from your breath to get into the system and potentially make it start rusting. Maybe not that big of a risk, but since there are better ways to make it work no one is doing it these days. But I thought hey, it doesn't seem to want to work anyway so why not go for a Hail Mary? So I got the Probotector (Contra) cartridge, blew into its contacts, inserted it into the system and pressed On. It worked! It totally worked, first try! It didn't even give up after a few seconds so I had to redo it! I ended up using the Konami code and played through the whole game. So once again I can say I beat Contra before breakfast biggrin.gif

After all this it was time to stop and go get breakfast. Being who I am though I just had to try Battle of Olympus again, just to see if the magic worked again which I honestly didn't expect. But it did! I blew into the contacts like ye olde days and yes; the game started on the first try!

What can we all make of this then? Two things I reckon; never give up and perhaps us kids weren't that daft after all.... wink.gif

I wonder if air duster would work in place of blowing on it with your breath?

Khajiit started his first serious playthrough of Super Metroid on the Switch via the SNES online app. The platforming is a bit annoying at times, and I seem to be stuck in an area I can’t get out of, but otherwise, not a bad time!
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 7 2023, 03:40 AM) *

IPB Image

laugh.gif I was just going to suggest blowing in the cartridge, lol. My last memories of NES were of the requirement of blowing them out in order to resurrect the Mario Brothers, lol. Really wish Nintendo would make the game backwards compatible on the new consoles (but without updating the games), lol.

TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 7 2023, 09:05 AM) *

Really wish Nintendo would make the game backwards compatible on the new consoles (but without updating the games), lol.

Well, you can play them on their latest console, the Switch, but you have to have an internet connection and a monthly subscription that costs around $4. Also there are the NES Minis that you can buy that are basically just a miniature version of the NES (complete with full size controllers) that come preloaded with a bunch of games to play. You simply connect them to a modern tv with an HDMI cord, plug in the ac cord and off you go!
mALX
QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 7 2023, 10:12 AM) *

Really wish Nintendo would make the game backwards compatible on the new consoles (but without updating the games), lol.

Well, you can play them on their latest console, the Switch, but you have to have an internet connection and a monthly subscription that costs around $4. Also there are the NES Minis that you can buy that are basically just a miniature version of the NES (complete with full size controllers) that come preloaded with a bunch of games to play. You simply connect them to a modern tv with an HDMI cord, plug in the ac cord and off you go!

Ooh, I didn't know about any of this! Thanks Khajiit!!!

TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 7 2023, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 7 2023, 10:12 AM) *

Ooh, I didn't know about any of this! Thanks Khajiit!!!

Don’t mention it! Also, I just noticed that the price of the mini consoles is rather high right now ($212.99 on Amazon) so I’m not sure how “worth it” they are. unsure.gif
If you don’t already have a Switch, you can get a brand new Switch Lite for less than you can the mini console ($198.29 on Amazon), but you will only be able to use it in handheld mode. The normal Switch console is selling for $299.95 on Amazon.
mirocu
Whether or not the NES mini is worth it is of course totally based upon the games preloaded and your preference. So make sure you look it up before buying.
TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 7 2023, 10:53 AM) *

Whether or not the NES mini is worth it is of course totally based upon the games preloaded and your preference. So make sure you look it up before buying.

Indeed. Good advice.
mirocu
It comes with 30 games which isn't bad but frankly I'm quite disappointed with the selection. I guess they had to go with Nintendo titles only or something but it's a shame how many awesome games were excluded. I do like the save feature it has though.

Mind you I haven't actually gotten the mini, this is just me talking about what I've heard about it.
TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 7 2023, 11:28 AM) *

It comes with 30 games which isn't bad but frankly I'm quite disappointed with the selection. I guess they had to go with Nintendo titles only or something but it's a shame how many awesome games were excluded. I do like the save feature it has though.

Mind you I haven't actually gotten the mini, this is just me talking about what I've heard about it.

I have an SNES mini that I keep at mom’s house for when I’m over there without my Switch, but did not get a NES mini as I didn’t really get serious with video games until the SNES, even though we did have an NES.

Games included on the NES mini: Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3 and Mario Bros Dr. Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr., Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Final Fantasy, Metroid, Kirby Adventure, Castlevania, and Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Ninja Gaiden, Punch OUt Featuring Mr. Dream, Balloon Fight, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Excitebike, Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Bubble Bobble, Tecmo Bowl, Super C , Galaga, StarTropics, Ghosts'n Goblins, and Gradius.

Not complete by any stretch of the imagination, but it has all of the games *most* people would want. A pretty good lineup, all in all.
mirocu
Yeah I guess it's not that bad. Some really good classics in there. Though I honestly have no idea what the heck Techmo Bowl is doing there instead of like the original Contra tongue.gif
TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 7 2023, 12:55 PM) *

Yeah I guess it's not that bad. Some really good classics in there. Though I honestly have no idea what the heck Techmo Bowl is doing there instead of like the original Contra tongue.gif

I think the game called “Super C” is a Contra game. Techmo Bowl is an American football game that was pretty popular here in the States, naturally.
mirocu
Yeah, Super C was the followup to Contra. Haven't played it myself but it looks just as great if not greater. I just think the original is such a classic smile.gif
TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 7 2023, 01:45 PM) *

Yeah, Super C was the followup to Contra. Haven't played it myself but it looks just as great if not greater. I just think the original is such a classic smile.gif

Yeah, it does surprise me that the original wasn’t included. I don’t remember ever playing a Contra game, but it is a well regarded series.
mirocu
IPB Image

I've been playing Dr. Mario every other day now, it's pretty addictive. Sadly I don't play my original cartridge as I got rid of that when I was young and dumb. Same with a few other games. I also just now played Probotector (Contra) again and as always with the 30 life code. But the thing is, this is the one time I wouldn't have to put the code in as I somehow managed to play quite good and when it was all over I had 33 lives left! blink.gif

I did mess up at a couple of places where I usually don't mess up (typical) but I still managed to beat the game within the 3 lives you get at the start plus any additional from accumulating points. I didn't start to lose lives until stage 6 (out of 8) so up until that point I had Spread! biggrin.gif I also didn't die at any point during the final boss and by then I just had the starting weapon. I've noticed this also with Sunset Riders; when I play Billy who has the six-shooter I always play better than when I have Carmine (?) who has the shotgun with great spread. I'm more focused and careful when I actually need to aim tongue.gif

Dark Reaper
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 7 2023, 01:45 PM) *

Contra and Super C were pretty good, though Alien Wars wasn't too bad either.
TheCheshireKhajiit
Especially for ol’ ‘Rocu:

Why Retrogames Look Better on CRT TVs
mirocu
That illustrates the point I always try to make; just because something new comes around, the old isn't necessarily redundant biggrin.gif
mirocu
Played some Dr Mario last night on my NES. I'm out of cleaning stuff so it was a bit tricky getting it to work and I didn't get Probotector (Contra) to work. I'll sort it out asap.

The NES is great, I just wish it wasn't this difficult. And it was like this back in the day just as well simply because of its design. But I like it and I'll give it the care it needs biggrin.gif

Edit: Got another cleaning solution in the meantime and it worked fine as well. Got Probotector to work and beat it and I think it was my best run ever. Yes I do start with the 30 lives code but after the final boss and the game started over I was at 32 tongue.gif
mirocu
NES

My go-to game ten years ago was Bubble Bobble but now I've been playing Dr. Mario on a regular basis for some time as I just love that type of puzzle. I always start on level 10 and Medium speed and go up to level 19 where I usually fail because the viruses are very high up and I can't click fast enough. But just now I actually managed to do that, and I was lucky, so I passed that level and got to level 20 where I did indeed fail. I can do that level on Slow but not on Medium and how some people can do it on Fast is well beyond my comprehension laugh.gif
TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 6 2024, 02:36 PM) *

NES

My go-to game ten years ago was Bubble Bobble but now I've been playing Dr. Mario on a regular basis for some time as I just love that type of puzzle. I always start on level 10 and Medium speed and go up to level 19 where I usually fail because the viruses are very high up and I can't click fast enough. But just now I actually managed to do that, and I was lucky, so I passed that level and got to level 20 where I did indeed fail. I can do that level on Slow but not on Medium and how some people can do it on Fast is well beyond my comprehension laugh.gif

My mom used to stay up late playing Dr.Mario on Gameboy. I never did acquire a taste for games like that though.
mirocu
Dr. Mario (NES)

Level: 20
Speed: Med

Level cleared

I finally beat level 20 on medium difficulty that net me a scene with the viruses sitting on top of a tree while a Protoceratops flies across the screen in an egg. No, I'm not drunk. I think tongue.gif
TheCheshireKhajiit
Didn’t Bubble Bobble have a weird dinosaur critter that would fly across the screen and kill you?
mirocu
QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 13 2024, 04:12 AM) *

Didn’t Bubble Bobble have a weird dinosaur critter that would fly across the screen and kill you?

Baluga. It's the skeleton of a whale actually laugh.gif

Never did play Dr. Mario on Gameboy btw. I wonder how it is considering the Gameboy games only had four shades of green tongue.gif
mirocu
I have now played the NES almost daily and I've gotten it to work first try every single time without even having to clean anything.

I just write this down to remind my future self; insert the game and yank it to the right slightly and that should do it.

Result may vary... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.