Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A commoner's life
Chorrol.com > Mods > Oblivion Mods
Intestinal Chaos
Personally I think If Bethesda really wants you to "live another life in another world" they should consider the life of the commoner to at least be functiunaly played. A good mod idea can actually be a few things to facilitate to the lives of the common folk. A few mundane quests and such (annoying neighbors,a slap dash race to a shelter while the town is under attack, "raising" property values of the neighborhood, getting back at the guy who keeps kocking over your boxes, ect.) obviously those ideas didn't sound too good... but thats what we have modders for. An elaborate king of the hill-esque neighborhood heirarchy might also be sort of interesting......
Dantrag
I don't think I want it to go that far....

but being able to get a job as a blacksmith, farmer, servant, etc. would be cool.
Intestinal Chaos
Yeah, I know what you mean, I sort of got carried away.... I'll more likely use my imagination for that.... It would be way to elaborate of a construction job to make something that unimportant anyways.
MerGirl
I think this would be nice... as long as we don't go overboard... But there could be some interesting mini-quest options.

Like, maybe if you're a smith, and your village/town gets attacked by hostile demon-things, you could try and supply and fix as much weapons to the warriors/guards as you can within a certain time-limit. Er, just a weird example, but it would make a nice filler mini-game. smile.gif
Kuukulgur
Well, isn't there a mod called "Complete Morrowind" or something like that wich adds things like fishing and sewing. Found it at Morrowind Summit. It's pretty close.
MerGirl
QUOTE(Kuukulgur @ Jul 10 2005, 01:50 AM)
Well, isn't there a mod called "Complete Morrowind" or something like that wich adds things like fishing and sewing. Found it at Morrowind Summit. It's pretty close.

But, isn't that the same one that adds in more difficult enemies/creatures? (I could be confusing this with another mod. There are so many....)
Kuukulgur
Nope. Here's an extract from the mod description at the Summit:

The full list of additions:

* Cooking
    * Sewing (tailoring), including both cloth and leather items
    * Pottery Making
    * Woodcutting
    * Carpentry
    * Mining
    * Smithing
    * Making Bonemold\Chitin items
    * Brewing poisons
    * Making arrows, bolts, darts, throwing knives, and throwing stars
    * Poisoning any arrows\bolts\darts\throwing weapons with one of nine types of poisons
    * Filling your bottles with drinks from kegs and water from wells
    * Making straw items and setting Campfires

If you want more just go to Summit mod database and search for "Complete Morrowind". smile.gif
MerGirl
To Kuu: Wow, that sounds very nice for a mod! smile.gif Cool, now some of my useless items will not be so useless, after all!

Well, I think a cook should be possible... Isn't cooking going to be in Oblivion? kvright.gif
Intestinal Chaos
I once had a Wood Elf by the name of Jim. Try as hard as I could to make it look like he had a life (eating,actually needing sleep) it was nothing but monotony. Even getting him a "job" as an Egg Miner ended up in his assasination by the Dark Brotherhood (sleeping on the job and having Tribunal Installed).
stargelman
I think having characters that have a real personality goes a long way to make a game more fun. I'm just playing Redguard, and I have to say, the NPCs in that game are superior the the ones in Morrowind in every respect. There're actually distinguishable by factors other than their looks, and they seem to have real personalities. Now I know Oblivion won't be a TES Adventure game, it will be a massive RPG with a huge world, and > 1000 NPCs. Thus it would be asking too much of Bethesda to fill all those bit-heads with personality. However, that IS a good idea for mods.

I for one would greatly appreciate such a mod or mods.
Intestinal Chaos
QUOTE(stargelman @ Jul 20 2005, 06:27 PM)
I think having characters that have a real personality goes a long way to make a game more fun. I'm just playing Redguard, and I have to say, the NPCs in that game are superior the the ones in Morrowind in every respect. There're actually distinguishable by factors other than their looks, and they seem to have real personalities. Now I know Oblivion won't be a TES Adventure game, it will be a massive RPG with a huge world, and > 1000 NPCs. Thus it would be asking too much of Bethesda to fill all those bit-heads with personality. However, that IS a good idea for mods.

Yeah, It would be nice for someone with greater Construction set skills than I (being just about everyone) to get on this and try to give personality to all characters. It'll be a big job, but it was attempted (and completed?) in Morrowind.
Ragnar
QUOTE(stargelman @ Jul 20 2005, 08:27 AM)

Actually Oblivion will have npcs with a personality. It is part of the whole radiant ai thing. The npcs will have a personality in their modpack and that will affect the descisions they make.

As for the mod suggestion, I think it would be great. I have always wanted to get a normal job in the game. A job that does not involve killing creatures.
Intestinal Chaos
They won't exactly have personality. They may have favored activities and certain racial preferences and precoded reactions to certain things but as a whole every NPC shares this. You won't see very many personally tailored people unless they are quest related or important somehow.
ShogunSniper
QUOTE(Intestinal Chaos @ Jul 11 2005, 08:11 PM)
I once had a Wood Elf by the name of Jim. Try as hard as I could to make it look like he had a life (eating,actually needing sleep) it was nothing but monotony. Even getting him a "job" as an Egg Miner ended up in his assasination by the Dark Brotherhood (sleeping on the job and having Tribunal Installed).

roflmaool

i think it is a good idea to be able to get jobs in oblivion and own a store and such. and does that mod for morrowind mentioned above work well? or is it buggy?
Intestinal Chaos
I don't see why the mod would be buggy, it's all dialogue oriented...

It gives the characters a little something more interesting to say... that's really the extent of it.
MerGirl
QUOTE(Intestinal Chaos @ Aug 23 2005, 07:46 PM)
They won't exactly have personality. They may have favored activities and certain racial preferences and precoded reactions to certain things but as a whole every NPC shares this. You won't see very many personally tailored people unless they are quest related or important somehow.

Yes, I agree with Intestinal. I think it will be like the Sims 2, but perhaps slightly more advanced. In Sims 2, the characters have a certain aspiration(sp?) (family, romance, fortune, or knowledge) and their actions depend on that aspect of their personality. Also, their actions can be affected by how shy/outgoing, active/lazy, playful/serious, etc they were.

But, I would love a mod that would add some ordinary jobs. It would add more personality to the world besides just noble knights/monster killers, mages, and thieves/assassins. smile.gif
Intestinal Chaos
Yeah, that would be just dandy.
raistlin
being the local blacksmith would be pretty cool for a while,or the pimp.
Intestinal Chaos
Yeah... pimp....
Hanz baby
If some one could make a mod even close to this i would praise them as my new god it just sounds so cool cool.gif
Dirox
Im working on a "Unique NPC's" mod that replaces all the npc's dialog with individual new dialog/voices.

Kuukulgur: Some of these i would like to add eventualy but, any of you people want to help? BTW i think we should start a patition for what we want in the next TES game and send it to bethesda once we get so manyvotes. Petition.com i think

~dirox
lev_the_devil
you know, i was thinking the exact same thing.

99 thesis of the elder scrolls..
basically a list of grievences and items we'd like to see added/changed/removed

in fact, i think i'll start a thread for that, try and get a list together.
Agent Griff
If you think Bethesda will actually listen to your Thesis. Well, let's just say that they'll put you on the "we'll call you" list after seeing what you've put up. I totally agree with the idea, but, realisticaly speaking, I don't think Bethesda will give a damn about it. Oblivion has sold well, I don't think that they'll ever make a game in the Morrowind/Daggerfall flavour ever again, they'll be more like Oblivion. I would like it if the devs actually looked over the thesis and changed the game appropiately but I don't think it's gonna happen.

And as far as I knew, petitions weren't regarded by Bethesda at all. I think it's because a person can vote more than once. I know I did on more than one petitions.
lev_the_devil
true, i have very little hope for any actual results, but at least we'd get to see what all it is that people really want from a game like elder scrolls
Agent Griff
That's true. I would also like to see what people like and what people don't like about the series.
lev_the_devil
i've already got mine up in the other thread, but no one's responded yet. oh well.
HOLYBOB
QUOTE(Kuukulgur @ Jul 10 2005, 04:50 AM)

i think all the good mods are for morrowind

French Cheese
You could also become a trainer and maybe even start up a skool 4 one of those skills r somethin smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.