Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Saga of Joan of Arkay
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Fiction
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Renee
Each event is preceded by prophecy, but without the event, there is no hero.

In the waning years before the end of the third era of Tamriel, a prisoner was born on an uncertain day, from uncertain parents. To most, she was ignorant of the role she was to play in that country's coming history.

"They have taken you from the Cyrodiil prison, first by carriage, then by boat. To east and to Morrowind. Fear not, for you shall be watched. You shall be chosen... "

16th of Last Seed, 3rd Era, Year 427

IPB Image

..."Wake up!"....

The lady from Cyrodiil squinted her eyes. Someone was peering at her through the gloom.

"Wake up!" said the voice. The voice of a Dunmer, for sure. "Why are you here?" asked the voice. "Are you with us?"

The smell of rotted wood permeated the air. The lady felt a gentle rocking as she got up off the floor. She wrinkled her face. Was she on a boat?

"That's right, stand up," said the voice. And now that she was standing, the lady could see she had been spoken to by a Dunmer. "You were dreaming," he said in a gravelly voice. "What's your name?"

"Joan. Of Cyrodiil," said she.

"Well, not even last night's storms could wake you," he replied. "I heard them say landfall was made last night." He was standing before her without a shirt on, Joan could see. "We've reached Morrowind, I'm sure and certain they will let us go."

"Who ... shall let us go?" Joan was bleary.

"Quiet. Here comes the guard."

An Imperial soldier was approaching from somewhere up deck. Joan could hear his footsteps clonking along. He made his way down a set of stairs on the far side of the boat, and toward the Dunmer and Joan.

"This is where you get off," said the Imperial with a regal sort of voice. "Now. Come with me."

Joan hesitated, trying to remember what happened. Why she was .... here ... on this boat. And not on the boat with the others. The others from Cyrodiil.

"You'd better do what they say," warned the Dunmer with no shirt.

"Hoy there," Joan called to the guard. "Have I been placed into some manner of custody?"

"You'd better do what they say," warned the Dunmer with no shirt, for the second time.

So Joan did. She followed the Imperial through the ship's dim lower hull. Noticed hammocks, crates, and barrels. She then walked cautiously up the ship's ladder, giving one last look back to the far alcove, where she'd awoken a few moments ago. Finally, she moved through the ship's mid-deck hold, which was brighter and a tad more pleasant than its lower section. Candles, and places to eat.

"Get yourself up on deck and lets keep this as civil as possible," the Imperial growled.

"Yessir," Joan answered. "Ehm. Perhaps this is a case of mistaken identity," she spoke to the Imperial, but didn't dare look at him. She said a quick prayer to superior powers before climbing upon the ship's upper deck.

mid-afternoon
Unsure what had happened, Joan was expecting she was about to walk from the ship's inside straight into some sort witch hunt. She'd walk on deck, and be surrounded by accusers, or some such. Because that's the way she felt, at the moment. Things were not right. She was in some sort of trouble, perhaps. Had to be mistaken identity, though. Had to be.

But this was not the case. Her fears would be allayed.

"This is where they want you," said a man, a Redguard, who was standing ondeck. "Head down to the dock and into the census office."

At this point, Joan noticed three things at once.

1). She was not under any sort of arrest. This was obvious, since she was not bound.

2). She was not about to be accused of anything.

3). She had made it to Vvardenfell.

Joan had boarded the wrong boat, for sure. But she had also successfully made it to her destination, somehow. The weather was balmy. She could see gigantic mushroom trees standing way off in the distance. Finally, the silt strider standing off to the side of whatever town she was in made this area no mistake. Only one place on Tamriel could support those types of flora.

"But what has happened to the others? Where are the rest of my priory?" she asked.

"Let's go," said the Redguard impatiently, ignoring her concerns. "Move it along."

She began to move off the boat. Onto a small bridge, which led to a dock, which led to a Tudor-styled building. So this was Vvardenfell, but the town she was in had Imperial influence. A second guard greeted her as she neared him. Unlike the others so far, he seemed pleasant, maybe even pleased to see Joan.

"You finally arrived but our records don't show from where," he said.

"Cyrodiil. Cheydinhal, as a fact of matter. I am Joan from Cheydinhal."

"Great," the guard said in his pleasant voice. "I'm sure you'll fit right in. Now follow me up to the office."

Joan did so, slowly. If the others did not make it, did this mean her quest within Vvardenfell would not be granted?

"Head on in," said the guard, and so Joan of Cheydinhal did so. It was not as though she really had any choice in the matter.

-------------------

Joan of Arkay Chargen Sheet

Joan in Seyda Neen
Lopov
Welcome to Vvardenfell, Nerevarine Joan!

Looks like we're about to witness what was going on with Joan before the events of Cyrodiil, that is, before she was called the Joan of Arkay.
SubRosa
Aww neat, it is Joan before the Akray? Is she going to do the Nine Divines questline in the game?
macole
Great beginning. Will Joan be reunited with her priory tour group? Will Joan bring down the Tribunal like a house of cards in hurricane? Stay tuned for the answers to these and other questions as Joan of Cyrodiil travels the island of Vvardenfell.

"But really, I got on the wrong ship, I tell you."

"Yeah, yeah. That's what they all say. Move it along."

Renee
Fixed the numerous spelling errors in that opening tale. rolleyes.gif I wrote that a couple months ago, and just posted yesterday without having my glasses on!

Yes, that is Joan before she became associated with Arkay. In 2013 after I bought all the DLC on Xbox, the first question I asked is "what is the REAL reason she gets Battlehorn Castle for free?" unsure.gif And eventually the answer came--she already has some Fame from whatever she's about to do in Morrowind.

Rosa: yes, she'll be doing anything "goody" in this game. So Imperial Cult, Imperial Knights... the sky's open for Joanie. smile.gif And I'm going to write it all up.

macole: Ha ha yeah, that is true about there being a long 'line' of of others going through that Census Office. "Whatever... move along....." laugh.gif We'll see more of that in the next update.

Funny thing about this game is I don't know what's to come. Some of my characters on Xbox did Fighters Guild and Mages Guild already, and some of the Imperial stuff, but I barely have touched any of the Houses. So I'm sort of blind (which is a good thing).
Pseron Wyrd
QUOTE(Renee @ Jul 19 2021, 08:13 AM) *

Some of my characters on Xbox did Fighters Guild and Mages Guild already, and some of the Imperial stuff, but I barely have touched any of the Houses. So I'm sort of blind (which is a good thing).

Have any of them done the main quest yet? Personally I think Morrowind's main quest is the best main quest Bethesda has ever done.
Renee
QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jul 19 2021, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Renee @ Jul 19 2021, 08:13 AM) *

Some of my characters on Xbox did Fighters Guild and Mages Guild already, and some of the Imperial stuff, but I barely have touched any of the Houses. So I'm sort of blind (which is a good thing).

Have any of them done the main quest yet? Personally I think Morrowind's main quest is the best main quest Bethesda has ever done.

Nope. smile.gif One of them, Sir Galarad, delivered the package to Caius. But he was a character on Xbox and my Xbox disc began glitching last year. So now I'm on PC, which is really awesome. Anyway, this will be my first time doing the Morrowind MQ and so I'm pretty excited about it.
Renee
IPB Image

Joan of Cheydinhal walks into Seyda Neen's Census and Excise Office building, where she finds herself in a warm and somewhat dark room full of rugs and wall-hangings. A hearth had been lit in a far corner. Inside this office are a couple of others: an older gentleman, and yet another guard.

"Ah yes!" the older man's voice squeaks. "We've been expecting you."

"Have you?" Joan wonders why.

"You'll have to be recorded before you are officially released. We'll need some information. There are a few ways we can do this and the choice.... is... yours."

Blessed man. Joan of Cheydinal is finally able to tell somebody why she had come to Vvardenfell, and how it seemed things had gone terribly wrong.

She had been a student and a squire-in-training, as well as an acolyte for the Chapel of Arkay in Cheydinhal. Joan had received some training in the skills of swordplay, and use of a shield. She had also expanded into magical schooling. By the age of 13 she had had a virtuous childhood, and was talented in a variety of arts and magics, as well as combat. Her youth had been a busy one. As she neared the age of 18, Joan's ultimate goal was to become a full-fledged paladin. A holy knight in service of the Nine. She seemed to be most interested specifically with Arkay.

Part of her regimented training was to go off to the province of her choice. Here she'd engage in 'holy work', whatever it may be. She and a group of others were going to travel to Morrowind. Last thing she remembers was falling asleep on the boat they'd all boarded, back in Anvil. What is all this talk of being a prisoner? She does not know.

"Very good," the census officer says, not committing himself to her past. To him, she's just another citizen, moving into Vvardenfell. "The letter we received said you were born under a certain sign," he says. "And what would that be?"

"I am of the Ritual," answers Joan. "Trained in the arts restoring oneself, and of ridding the evils of undead, especially."

"Interesting. Now before I stamp these papers, make sure this information is correct."

Joan of Cheydinhal reads her census documents a few moments, and nods. "I suppose this shall do."

"Very well," he said, dipping his stamp in hot wax, and then placing its mark upon her immigration papers.

"Maybe 'tis the Nine's way to have guided me here," Joan speaks to no one in particular. "And perhaps there is a reason."

"Show your papers to the captain to gain your release," the census taker says impatiently.

Joan realizes she's not alone. There are plenty of others behind her, waiting their turn to also file into the census office, and continue onto the mainland. Others of all types and races. Joan scans their faces, but none of them are familiar. None of them are the fellow acolytes or priests from her chapel.

She presses ahead, moving out of the census office, and into another quarters. Here she speaks to one final man. An Imperial. "First let me take your identification papers," he tells her. "Thank you. Word of your arrival has only reached me yesterday."

"It has?"

"I am Sellus Gravius. But my background is not important. I am here to welcome you to Morrowind."

"Are you now? And you know of my coming? Well, these are good things," she muses.

"I don't know why you're here," he admits. "Or why you were released from prison and shipped here."

"Eh, no sir," Joan interrupts shyly. "I was never in prison, of this I am sure."

"But your Authorization comes directly from Emperor Uriel Septim VII himself," he tells her, shrugging, as if to say she was in the right place, whatever her past may have been. "And I don't need to know any more than that. When you leave this office, you are a free ... err.. woman. But before you go, I have instructions about your duties. Instructions from the Emperor."

Sellus Gravius gives Joan the package which would begin the changes, which would cause a new destiny to unfold in the future of Morrowind. Joan is told to head to a town called Balmora, where she'd bring the package to a man named Caius Cosades. From there, she'd be told what to do next.

---------------

Note: at the very end, Sellus's dialog only includes speaking to a male. "you are a free man..." so I changed that. wink.gif
Lopov
Joan realizes she's not alone. There are plenty of others behind her, waiting their turn to also file into the census office, and continue onto the mainland. Others of all types and races. Joan scans their faces, but none of them are familiar. None of them are the fellow acolytes or priests from her chapel.

I really like this imaginary roleplay touch. goodjob.gif

So Joan is now a free man, I mean woman, and she can wander around freely. I hope that she'll pay a visit to Caius Cosades, whether soon or in the future. It's worth it. smile.gif
Lena Wolf
Oh wow - how did I miss this?! Joan has gone to Morrowind!! <applause> biggrin.gif
SubRosa
I love that Joan of Arkay Cheydinhal is a paladin in training rather than a prisoner. In any case she is now a free... woman. Time to go do some good!
Renee
Aw, thanks for your kind words, all three of you. Hug_emoticon.gif Hug_emoticon.gif Hug_emoticon.gif

Rosa: While I am gaming with goody Joan, I also switch off between Ana Khannda and Hera Ticch, both of whom are displaying occasional acts of Evilness. emot-ninja1.gif In this way, my gaming diet is both balanced, and nutritious. *lips licks, I mean licks lips*

Lena: I'll be writing up the entire Morrowind Main Quest, almost 20 entire years after the rest of the gaming world. It'll pretty much be a blind effort for me, and everyone tells me MW's MQ is really outstanding, so I'm looking forward to it. smile.gif The Joan who appears in these stories is a younger, greener, less experienced Joan who appears sometimes in Oblivion screenshots. Again, she's the one who received Battlehorn Castle in my gameworld, so the question is Why did she get such a grandiose place to live? How did she get it??? Well, that's two questions. whistling.gif

I know you have expressed interest in Morrowind as well. smile.gif Your current PC should run this game, I think, with or without upgraded card.

Lopov: Yes, it occurred to me that all of our characters, Ninmenda for you, along with your Brother Haryon, my Ana Khannda, Igodah Go^Pe, Armand Hammer, Yor Azzizmyne, Sir Galraad.... I mean, the list goes on and on, all of them had to start here. In a roleplay sense, it's definitely easier to explain them all deboarding a ship than getting rescued by the Emperor, right? biggrin.gif

Anyway, today's update is really short. Some of these are shorties, which is nice from my perspective. In fact, my comments to y'all are already longer than today's update! indifferent.gif Grab a mug to drink if you wish, maybe some popcorn, but by the time it's warmed and microwaved, you'll probably already be done!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last Seed 16, 3rd Era, Year 427

Day: 2

IPB Image

Joan of Arkay spends most of this day walking outside of Seyda Neen. Like many impoverished adventurers before and after, hither and yon, her first task is to earn money, so she can hopefully improve her gear. And this means performing menial tasks. Seyda Neen hasn't got any job openings for a smith, the lighthouse already has its keeper, so Joan's only current option is to briefly become a gatherer, and a hunter of nuisance creatures. Picking ingredients such as leaves and mushrooms, and killing the occasional rat, mudcrab, or kwama forager.

She had received extensive training in swordplay back home, but had never actually done any adventuring before, not on her own, anyway. So each new nuisance creature she fought was a new set of lessons to learn. How should she slash at the mudcrab's chitin armor? Or was it better to stab? Little things like this, which seemed inconsequential during her training, seemed to matter a lot here in the real world.

However, this sort of ignoble combat does bring in more than one might expect. By the end of the day Joan returns to Seyda Neen's Tradehouse, and earns a total of 55 gold from the various mushrooms, leaves, and flowers she'd picked. With this money she buys herself a shield made of iron, and a pair of matching iron gauntlets, as well. Not bad for a day's work.

The previous night she also did find a place to stay. In the cellar of the Census office was a bedroll she could sleep upon for free. So she does so now, wondering if she'll ever get homesick. So far, she hasn't found any sweetrolls to eat, nor pints of milk to wash them down with.
Lena Wolf
QUOTE(Renee @ Aug 8 2021, 10:34 PM) *

I know you have expressed interest in Morrowind as well. smile.gif Your current PC should run this game, I think, with or without upgraded card.

Oh, I plan to try Moroblivion! rolleyes.gif I like to be able to jump back and forth within the same game. Why? The immm... thing. wink.gif

So far, she hasn't found any sweetrolls to eat, nor pints of milk to wash it down with.

Oh that's ROUGH! No sweetrolls! sad.gif
SubRosa
Joan is a poor working stiff doing all the grunt work. Mudcrabs! Ugly creatures!
macole
QUOTE(Renee @ Aug 8 2021, 04:34 PM) *

She had received extensive training in swordplay back home, but had never actually done any adventuring before, not on her own, anyway. So each new nuisance creature she fought was a new set of lessons to learn. How should she slash at the mudcrab's chitin armor? Or was it better to stab? Little things like this, which seemed inconsequential during her training, seemed to matter a lot here in the real world.

A great approach to Morrowind combat. Training in the yard does not equal battle experience.
Renee
Yeah, I know what you all mean... grunt work is grunt work, and I feel a tad impatient to get into the meat of the game. Fortunately mudcrabs & other nuisance creatures aren't as bad as I've heard. I've read so many accounts of getting killed by "that first mudcrab in Seyda Neen", yet over many characters I've rolled, it hasn't been that bad. As long as the character uses a weapon or spell from their Major Skills, and their Fatigue is near full, these beasties don't stand much chance.

Crap. I am posting this next update out of order, I think. rolleyes.gif The nuisance creature one should come after this one I'm about to post. laugh.gif Oh well. From here on, they will be in order, or should be.

-------------------------

Last Seed 16, 3rd Era, Year 427

Day 1

Seyda Neen is a small but busy place. Joan needs to learn what sort of facilities the village contains: places to stay, places to buy and sell, and so on. Several Imperial guards stroll the place's middle area. A wood elf wearing proper common clothes steps around and near to Joan. And so is somebody who looks to be a red-haired Nord.

A perfect Imperial-influenced setting, in other words. Composed, and cosmopolitan.

"What assistance do you need?" asks an elder Altmer.

Perfect. "My name is Joan of Cyrodiil, and I do possess some wonders about this village before me. Might there be a place one, such as myself, might consider rest?"

"I haven't seen your Breton face before," says the Altmer. "Would you like a little advice? Or are you looking for someone in particular?"

"A place to stay, seems upmost."

"Get food and sundries from Arrille's Tradehouse," says the Altmer. "That's where you'll find anyone who offers training. Not much else in the way of services in this damp little squat."

"I see. Your assistance has been most helpful," Joan smiles nervously. Apparently there is no place to stay, here in Seyda Neen. "And you are?"

"I am Eldafire, commoner," said the Altmer.

And so it is that Eldafire the commoner was the first person Joan of Arkay meets, once free of the Census Office, here in Vvardenfell.

Mid Afternoon
Joan walks into Arrielle's Tradehouse. As she does so, she has the look of any ordinary peasant. Shabby clothes. A bag hanging from her back, which hasn't got much inside. On her person she carries these things...

an iron daggar
a cotton, tan-colored shirt
trousers of burlap cover her legs
a pair of shoes, noting special
one loaf of bread

She also carries the package for the man in Balmora named Caius, whoever he may be. She has 87 gold pieces, and a magical healing ring.

First order of business is to upgrade her weapon, and Arrille has a rather broad selection. Joan spends 20 gold on an iron shortsword. She also buys a pair of fur boots (10 gold) and replaces her tan trousers with some greaves of iron (44). After these purchases she has just 11 gold to her name. Would this be enough to make it to Balmora?

She spends the rest of the day moseying around Seyda Neen. Speaking to its residents, as any good holy knight-in-training should do.

--------------------------

Joan the Commoner

Lighthouse Scene

Notes: She discovered that the magical ring she'd found earlier belonged to the town's wood elf, whose name was Fargoth, and gave this to him. Some of my characters keep the ring, others like Joan do the 'right' thing, and give it back to its rightful owner.

Lopov
Lighthouse Scene is a wonderful screenshot!

Good luck to Joan on her way to Balmora. wink.gif
Renee
Gracias Lopov. cake.gif I'll just go ahead and post the next update, kind of eager for some action! viking.gif

Last Seed 18, 3rd Era, Year 427

Day: 3

IPB Image

On the third day of her stay within Seyda Neen, Joan discovers Addamasartus. This is a cave just outside the village. She heads there, then walks into the cave saying "Hallo?" She's then surprised to find herself attacked by a fearsome female bandit wielding a blade! Joan is not ready for this sort of melee. She backs out of the cave, after taking minor damage to her person.

Back in Seyda Neen, one of the guards informs her that the cave is not an area of any sort of good will. It's not a serviceable place where ores get mined, then carted off for smelting. No, it's dangerous in there, not a good place for a peasant, or an acolyte such as herself!

... But then the guard stops, and takes note of Joan's attire. A day ago she'd been walking around carrying nothing but common clothes and a cheap knife. Now she is wearing actual armor pieces.

"What can you say about the dwellers in the cave outside of town?" Joan asks the guard. "I made my way within, yet was caused an affront by one of its residents."

"If someone attacks you first, you have the right to defend yourself," the guard answers. "If someone DOESN'T attack you first, you're going to break the law if you attack him. Or her."

"Sha'nt be any concern," Joan says to the guard. "I am a devout follower of the Nine, as well as the law."

The guard also informs Joan that the cave, known as Addamasartus, has been a haven for skooma suppliers, and is rumored to contain prisoners. "If you want to improve a skill you're terrible at," the guard also says, "it's worth paying for a little training, just to get you started. Sure, you can teach yourself, but it can be slow and frustrating."

Not a problem for Joan. She had been well-trained with shortswords and shields, and theoretically preferred blunt weapons against undead. These were the tools of her arsenal, and she'd not be trying to expand her knowledge.

Joan bids the guard farewell. Immediately, she then heads back to Addamasartus.

-------

Late Morning
She casts a shield spell she had learned as a child, before reentering the cave. She draws her sword of iron. And walks inside.

"You will suffer greatly!" screams the same Dunmer lady. This lady draws her knife, and right away begins attacking Joan with it. Fortunately for Joan, the lady is not very good. She keeps missing the Breton as she slashes and thrusts. Joan is successful at this, and starts to cause some injuries to the Dunmer.

"Might ye have will to persuade thyself from retribution," Joan says. "There might you find thyself not at the end of mine!"

"Arrgh!"

Joan manages to block a couple more swings, and then decides to cast a fire spell. She touches the Dunmer, fire erupting upon the lady's body. but the lady doesn't fall. At the same time, Joan quickly realizes that dark elves are often resistant to fire. In the future she'll probably need a frost spell, instead. But for now, her fire spell does a good amount of damage.

"You n'waah!!!!"

The slashing continues, and after another 20 seconds or so, the Dunmer says...

"There is no escape!"

... before falling to her death.

Sudden silence. Joan of Cyrodiil checks the lady's condition. Casts a healing spell upon herself, and loots the dead elf's body. She finds a key, and a small amount of gold.

Unfortunately, this is as far as she's able to make headway within Addamasartus. The next enemy she faces, a magic-user, nearly ends Joan's life right then and there, with one of his spells of destruction.

Joan of Cheydinhal heads back outside the cave, where it's raining. She is able to heal her wounds, and spends the rest of the day gathering more ingredients.

------------------------

Addamasartus cave

Lena Wolf
Regroup and live to fight another day. Or just live another day. biggrin.gif Them snooty mages. tongue.gif
Lopov
This n'wah killed her first target on Vvardenfell. There'll be plenty more, I assume. wink.gif

It's now off to Balmora or does Joan plan another trip to Addamasartus?
SubRosa
Uh oh, Joan ventured into a bandit cave! They caused her an affront! At least they do not follow you in this game, so she was able to make her escape.

Joan goes back to do some righteous smiting!

There is no escape!

Apparently so!

It sounds like Joan and Blood Raven could have themselves a nice, quaint, Old-Tyme conversation!
macole
QUOTE(Renee @ Aug 15 2021, 11:54 AM) *

... before falling to her death.

..and that's why the Jandaga doesn't go around shouting "There's no escape" or "Die you fool" when fighting. It always seems to end with an Aieeeee.
Renee
QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Aug 15 2021, 01:44 PM) *

Regroup and live to fight another day. Or just live another day. biggrin.gif Them snooty mages. tongue.gif

Absolutely. viking.gif To be successful at RPG combat means to know when to back out, and come back prepared some other day. As we'll see, that snooty mage won't last long.

QUOTE(Lopov @ Aug 15 2021, 01:48 PM) *

This n'wah killed her first target on Vvardenfell. There'll be plenty more, I assume. wink.gif It's now off to Balmora or does Joan plan another trip to Addamasartus?

Yes there will be plenty more fools who try to usurp and defeat my character, to no avail. indifferent.gif Don't they ever learn?

In my storywriting, Joan is already in Balmora by now. See, that's the advantage to writing shorter updates... what you read here is from several weeks ago.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 15 2021, 07:13 PM) *

It sounds like Joan and Blood Raven could have themselves a nice, quaint, Old-Tyme conversation!

Absolutely, I could see Joan, Branwen, Sarah Phimm, and several others feeling comfortable speaking actual Olde Anglisc, and not coming off as corny as they do so.

And that is true, what you said about them not being able to follow, like they do in TES4. My gosh, what a different, much more stressful game Morrowind would be if they could follow.

QUOTE(macole @ Aug 15 2021, 11:15 PM) *

..and that's why the Jandaga doesn't go around shouting "There's no escape" or "Die you fool" when fighting. It always seems to end with an Aieeeee.

rollinglaugh.gif Yeah, but Kaleah seems like she enjoys a few one-liners here and there.
Renee

Um, I don't have any pictures for y'all in this update. Youll just have to bear with it.

-----------------------------

20 Last Seed (Day 5) early morning

"You n'wah!"

Joan of Cheydinhal has better luck as she invades Addamasartus for the second time. She had run from the magic-using, snooty elf a couple days ago, but now she is back, and ready to take him down.

At some point over the past couple days, Joan realized that all she has to do to defeat this magic-using snooty mage is wait.

Now, back in the cave, the snoot throws a spell at her. Some sort of drain spell, probably, or maybe a weakness spell. Joan sidesteps, allowing his magic to crash harmlessly into one of the cave's rocky walls. The snoot throws another spell. Joan sidesteps again.

In Cyrodiil, over the past couple years, many advanced users of magic had been learning how to recreate their own magicka, often in real-time. This had taken a lot of research and a lot of patience. But the Mages Guild seemed to be mastering this, and rumor had it a few outlaw wizards back in her home province were doing so, as well. Only those born under the Atronach were permanently cursed from regenerating their own mana. Joan had not gotten this far in her own magical training, unfortunately. She, like the bloomin' elf before her, could not regenerate her own mana. But this did not seem to matter in Morrowind.

Learning advancements seemed to traveled slow. Many magicians in the land of the Dunmer had not yet learned the skill of magic regeneration, it seemed. They did not seem to know about the magical triumphs going on in Cyrodiil. They were still doing things the old way, relying on rest, relying on potions.

Because of this, Joan realizes all she has to do is wait until the magic-throwing rogue bandit before her uses up all his mana, and then is forced to attack more directly. Within a half-minute or so, this is exactly what he does.

Joan casts her shield spell as the snoot approaches. She then begins slashing and stabbing the man with her iron shortsword.

"Aiigh!!!!"

STAB STAB...*BANG*.... *clink*... parry... The snoot may have had some good spells in his book; in fact, he almost ended her life a couple days ago. But she's the better fighter. Especially now that she had equipped her person with more proper armor pieces. After a couple more days of nuisance creatures and ingredient-gathering, Joan now possesses a cuirass of chitin, as well as pauldrons and gauntlets. The elf cannot cause much damage because of this. So it doesn't take long before the cave-dwelling snoot falls before her, and is downed forever.

One of many small victories to come, indeed.

Joan cautions further into the cave's initial chamber, and arrives to a couple passages. One branches left, and another branches right. She chooses to go left, where there are a flight of wooden stairs, leading upward into darkness. At the top of the stairs Joan finds a penned-off enclosure full of Khajiit. The area is locked, but Joan uses the key she had found two days before to open it.

"Khajiit has no worrrds for you," one of enclosure's inhabitants says.

Joan speaks to the cat, and finds that the rumors were true. There are prisoners being kept here in Addamasartus! Three of them.

"Master was right to disavow us," one of them says. "We are foolish."

Joan identifies herself, then frees them all from their restraints. As she does so, she thinks she feels the grace and glory of the Nine, shining upon her.

She retuns to the intersection she'd found before, and walks down some stairs. Joan turns left, and encounters one final cave-dwelling bandit. This one does not use magic; instead she throws a couple of darts Joan's way. Joan dodges the first, but gets hit by the second, causing her to falter a bit. But she also remembers her military training, and realizes she has two options: rush her opponent directly, or backtrack into a previous room, attempting to corner the dart-throwing bandit. Joan chooses to backtrack.

Joan rushes back to the cave's entry chamber, and closes a door. Meanwhile, the dart-thrower moves fast, and is right there behind her, clamoring to open the door so she can continue to throw her little weapons. Joan does not budge. As the door stands half-open, the Cyrodiilian begins thrusting and slashing with her blade!

"You n'wah!!!" taunts dart-lady.

Half the lady's health is gone as Joan makes her offense. Eventually the door slips open, and the dart-thrower falls back a bit, readying another dart. Joan uses the moment to cast a healing spell, returning her to almost full health.

"Thine past, 'tis full of besmirchments!" Joan calls. "Prepare to remander thine un-divinely ways!"

The dart-thrower seems to have run out of darts. She decides to come at Joan with a small knife. But the fight doesn't last too much longer. "You will suffer ... ooo!"

Joan says a quick prayer as loots the woman's body, only to find a couple of lockpicks. Tools of the dark, and unholy! thinks she. She does not take these, even though there's the possibility she can sell them for gold. Right about now, Joan of Cheydinhal needs some gold. All she has on her person at the moment is 15 pieces. But she refuses to tarnish her persona with these "tools of darkness".

She does find some items deeper into the cave though which are not unholy, and therefore saleable. Magical scrolls and gems. Food and drink and potions. But she also moon sugar! And skooma! ... "Foul brews and integrants, to be consumed by the miscreants of this world!" Joan does not take these.

After an hour or so of rummaging, Joan of Cheydinhal returns to Seyda Neen. Not only has she cleared the village of its local menacing scum, she increases her count of gold, from a meager 15 to a hefty 387. She uses 80 of this to upgrade her cuirass from chitin to ringmail.

Now, she feels she is perhaps more ready, to head to Balmora.
SubRosa
Uh oh, Joan the outlander is not making friends in Addiestrus.

One of the things I really hate about Morrowind is that your mana did not regenerate on its own. It is a system deliberately created to discourage magic users. Like the D&D system of you forgetting your spells every time you cast them.

The cave-dwelling snoot fell before her!

No tools of darkness for Joan! laugh.gif

Joan freed the slaves and got rich in the bargain!
Lopov
Joan, the liberator of slaves!

She studied well the combat technique of the bloomin' Elf. laugh.gif All she needed, was to wait, and then she could pwn him. goodjob.gif
Renee
Rosa: Nope, no friends in Addamasartus. nono.gif I am glad she won't make friends in enemy locations, just because I want my videogame experience to be edgy and dangerous! tongue.gif

I got used to lack of magicka regen after playing Arena for a couple years, but I understand what you're saying. bluewizardsmile.gif I just wanted to make up some sort of explanation why there's Mana Regeneration in later games (earlier years), but not Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind.

Lopov: Yes, that bloomin' elf didn't have a chance once Joan figured things out. viking.gif

-------------------------------------

Last Seed 21 (Day 6), early morning

IPB Image

Joan of Arkay leaves the hamlet of Seyda Neen, heading east toward Pelagiad. It takes but a few hours to reach her destination. The journey goes without incident. No bandits, no hostile creatures. Interesting to Joan, who has heard how dangerous Vvardenfell could be.

She walks into town. First person she speaks to is an Imperial Legion. "The Empire built a little fort here to guard the roads between Vivec, Seyda Neen, Balmora, and points north," he says. "And then some veterans took their mustering-out pay and built themselves some little farms here."

"I see," Joan quips.

"And pretty soon," the Legion continues, "there's a few shops and a tradehouse. It's a pleasant little village. If you didn't know better, you'd think you were in Daggerfall or some other High Rock town."

Joan finds Pelagiad to be much more suitable to the needs of the wandering traveler. Pelagiad has a merchant, a smith, and an inn. The town had been built upon a small hill, with a fully-functional fort to guard it. Joan learns that the Imperial Legion can be joined, which piques her interest.

For 10 gold, she rents a room in Halfway Tavern, the town's lovely inn. She has a meal of crab meat topped with a bit of heather. She spends some time speaking to some of the inn's residents, mostly learning things she already knows. Then she goes to bed.

Early evening
Joan barely falls asleep, before being awoken by a loud noise. She scrambles out of bed, and immediately readies her sword. It seems trouble is afoot!

She can feel the sense of evil, which has suddenly pervaded the inn. "Ordain mine person!" she calls softly. "I inquire upon the graces of Arkay, might these graces assist."

She picks up her shield with her left hand, then opens the door to her room. Up the hall, the Khajiit named Ahnassi seems agitated. He's running for the stairs, but something (or someone) is blocking his way.

"You will die!"

Someone calls out in a gravelly voice! This someone is downstairs from Joan's floor, she thinks. Whomever he is, he does not attack Halfway's other guests, nor do they attack him. This can only mean one thing. Joan of Cheydinhal uses her mind to ready a healing spell, one which will guarantee she'll have a good chance at surviving whatever is to come. She rushes down the steps!

But the intruder is nowhere to be seen. Joan dashes around from room to room, unable to find him. Finally, she determines he must be located in one of the inn's rooms, which is locked. She has Drelasa Ramothran, Halfway's owner, unlock the room's door. *

"Stand away," Joan says to a lady standing nearby. "For you musn't be assalted."

Finally, Joan sees the intruder, standing just inside the room opened by Drelasa. He wears all black, just like somebody from the Dark Brotherhood. How did he get in? Joan thinks. Why are not the guards trying to rid him? ... The intruder throws a knife at her, but misses his shot.

"Come hither!" Joan calls, slicing silver at the man in black. The man in black slices back!

"You will suffer greatly!" he says. Who is he? Why is he attacking only her?

Joan puts up a good offense but after multiple attempts at attack and defense, her health begins to falter. So she jumps over a bed, then readies her mind to heal herself while the intruder rushes towards her. She casts a spell of brilliant star-blue. Though she suffers a few blows from the man as she does so, Joan's health returns to full.

Now the man hasn't got a chance!

"You n'wahhhh!"

"I shall banish ye, miscreant!"

After several more moments of combat, Joan's life energy, her fatigue, also begins to fall. She hasn't got a spell (nor any potions) for this yet, so her only option is to move into another room, and wait a few moments to catch her breath. She winds up zooming downstairs again, closing the door behind her. This causes the intruder a few moments of confusion, for it takes a few moments for him to find her downstairs. By the time he does, Joan is back at it! Both of them begin swinging, while the inn's guests mosey about calmly. Joan is careful not to hit any of them, as she rushes back upstairs again, and back into the same room where the fight had begun.

But Samia, the lady wearing blue, is in this room.

So finally, Joan stomps back toward the stairs. As she moves down them, the intruder meets her halfway.

"Fall before me!" she calls quietly, crashing and bashing the intruder with her shortsword a few more times. Eventually, the man does exactly this, falling down a couple of Halfway's stairs.

"Yooo want somethinnnng?" asks Ahnassi, apparently nonplussed about all the ruckus going on.

Joan of Cheydinhal struggles to catch her breath, wondering what the Nine was that all about?

----------------------------------

Walking to Pelagiad

Come hither, miscreant!

Fight with Assassin

You will suffer greatly!

Swish! bluewizardsmile.gif

Assassin's Greed

Notes: * I had to use the console to unlock the door, because Joan can't pick locks, nor would she.

Note 2: This fight lasted several in-game hours! Joan went to bed around 7 PM, and the final save I just made is around 11 PM.

Note 3: A lot of my characters will loot the assassin (the man in black) of his Dark Brotherhood armor. This is easy money once the guy has been pwned! emot-ninja1.gif Joan chooses not to do so, however. She wants nothing to do with the Evils of the world.
Acadian
Pelagiad seems welcoming enough to the Knight of Arkay. Well. . . except for the assassin who seems to be out for Joan for some reason.

A tense fight as Joan cleverly uses the tools and terrain available to survive and prevail.

’Both of them begin swinging, while the inn's guests mosey about calmly. Joan is careful not to hit any of them, as she rushes back upstairs again,…’
- - Haha, Joan fights like Jan the Stormcrow!
Lopov
She barely arrived to Vvardenfell and someone already wants her dead! ohmy.gif

I already forgot details but don't these assassins keep coming and coming until you at least do some part of the quest that their attack triggers?
Lena Wolf
QUOTE(Lopov @ Sep 7 2021, 08:06 AM) *

She barely arrived to Vvardenfell and someone already wants her dead! ohmy.gif

That would be worrying, but I think the reality might be even worse. Since these was a Dark Brotherhood assassin rather than one from Morag Tong, it was someone in Cyrodiil who wanted Joan dead... The assassin simply followed her to Vvardenfell. ohmy.gif Oh dear, whatever earned Joan such malice? blink.gif
SubRosa
I suspect that Arkay just might ordain Joan's person...

Give that jackanape what for Joan!

The assassin looks like Snake Eyes from GI Joe.
Pseron Wyrd
QUOTE(Lopov @ Sep 7 2021, 03:06 AM) *

don't these assassins keep coming and coming

Yes, those persistent SOBs continue to show up forever and ever to the end of recorded time (or until we speak to Apelles Matius). And not only that, but they start coming in pairs after awhile, then in trios. And they get stronger and wield better weapons as time goes on.

I still remember my fist encounter with an assassin. I had just installed Tribunal (after a tedious 30 minute wait while the expansion reorganized my journal, sigh) and was somewhere out in the Ashlands. I was about to enter a Daedric ruin when three of them caught up with me. I had just about enough time to notice something in black moving very fast on my screen and then I was staring at a message asking me if I wanted to reload a save.

After a second untimely death I asked the forums what in the blazing heck was going on. Nobody knew. A few others had seen them by then (and had died), but it was a mystery to us all. Sometime later in the day we realized it must be part of the expansion. I think it might have been Horatio who first discovered it.

Bethesda, those sneaky devils. They let us walk right into these traps without warning, lol. .I bet they were laughing pretty hard if they read the forums that day.
Lena Wolf
Wow, an assassin that is actually proficient in his trade! I am impressed! Not like those ones in Skyrim then that fall over with a few stabs? tongue.gif
Pseron Wyrd
QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Sep 7 2021, 11:21 AM) *

Wow, an assassin that is actually proficient in his trade! I am impressed! Not like those ones in Skyrim then that fall over with a few stabs? tongue.gif

I think part of it was the surprise. In the beginning none of us knew the attacks were coming. Later, we could plan ahead and were much less likely to get killed. A few weeks after the expansion came out I rarely died to assassins anymore.
RaderOfTheLostArk
Ah, yes. Those [censored] [censored] Dark Brotherhood assassins. I remember the first time playing Morrowind and one appearing the very first time I rested outside. And because it is such an old game, the loading is super quick, so he just yelled in my face really loudly immediately after the loading finished. I didn't realize until later that that was only because of the Tribunal DLC since I was playing the GOTY Edition. (The werewolves that suddenly appear toward the end of the Bloodmoon DLC were the same way. Quick load screen while sleeping, then several roared REALLY loudly and pierced my eardrums.)

This last playthrough I was doing a few months ago, I was handling the assassins with ease until eventually a duo attacked so damn quickly that I just got stun-locked. I hadn't wanted to go to Mournhold yet so they just kept coming randomly when I rested outside. Annoyed the hell out of me. One day, I'm going to give Helseth what's coming to him. Even though he canonically survives and soon abolishes slavery, just once I want to give him some payback for those assassins.
TheCheshireKhajiit
QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Sep 7 2021, 05:17 PM) *

Ah, yes. Those [censored] [censored] Dark Brotherhood assassins. I remember the first time playing Morrowind and one appearing the very first time I rested outside. And because it is such an old game, the loading is super quick, so he just yelled in my face really loudly immediately after the loading finished. I didn't realize until later that that was only because of the Tribunal DLC since I was playing the GOTY Edition. (The werewolves that suddenly appear toward the end of the Bloodmoon DLC were the same way. Quick load screen while sleeping, then several roared REALLY loudly and pierced my eardrums.)

This last playthrough I was doing a few months ago, I was handling the assassins with ease until eventually a duo attacked so damn quickly that I just got stun-locked. I hadn't wanted to go to Mournhold yet so they just kept coming randomly when I rested outside. Annoyed the hell out of me. One day, I'm going to give Helseth what's coming to him. Even though he canonically survives and soon abolishes slavery, just once I want to give him some payback for those assassins.

I’ve got a mod that delays the Brotherhood attacks. It’s a must, in my opinion.
Renee
whoa whoa!

Funny thing is when I played Morrowind on Xbox (and I really got obsessed with this game on Xbox, played for 2 solid years before my disc wouldn't load) only one Assassin would show up. emot-ninja1.gif Usually it took a few character levels for this to happen. I seem to think it somewhere between Level 3 and 5.

However, on PC they've been showing up really early in the game. indifferent.gif Always Level 1. I'm not sure why this is, when my characters are not really quite ready, yet. I only have 10 mods installed so far, so maybe one of those is the culprit. I have never seen groups of assassins, yet. Maybe this is because none of mine so far have done the Main Quest, though?

Pseron Wyrd
QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 8 2021, 08:27 AM) *

I'm not sure why this is

Here is what UESP says about it: "The conditions for being attacked in your sleep differ between the PC and Xbox versions of the game. In the PC version, you can be attacked at any time, even when you sleep for the first time after starting a new game with Tribunal installed. In the Xbox version, you will only be attacked after you have reached level 6."
Lopov
QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 8 2021, 02:27 PM) *

whoa whoa!

Funny thing is when I played Morrowind on Xbox (and I really got obsessed with this game on Xbox, played for 2 solid years before my disc wouldn't load) only one Assassin would show up. emot-ninja1.gif Usually it took a few character levels for this to happen. I seem to think it somewhere between Level 3 and 5.

However, on PC they've been showing up really early in the game. indifferent.gif Always Level 1. I'm not sure why this is, when my characters are not really quite ready, yet. I only have 10 mods installed so far, so maybe one of those is the culprit. I have never seen groups of assassins, yet. Maybe this is because none of mine so far have done the Main Quest, though?

I think if you manage to evade an assassin when he finds you, you can "disable" attacks that follow. E.g. if you wouldn't go that room and confront him, you'd probably "disable" subsequent attacks.
macole
Oh those were fun times. Waking up in the middle of the night after just getting off the boat to face the assassins of the Dark Brotherhood is so much fun.
There's a mod Murderous Dreams that I used in the past that delays DB attacks until you reach a certain amount of fame. It kind of simulates non-descript persona until your fame becomes high and wide enough to attract attention. It worked well for me but others have reported problems with it.
SubRosa
QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 7 2021, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Sep 7 2021, 05:17 PM) *

I’ve got a mod that delays the Brotherhood attacks. It’s a must, in my opinion.

I play with the same mod. My first time I had to reload the game a dozen times before I was able to kill the assassin. Then the armor and weapons I took off of him were incredibly overpowered for my level. I had to stop using them after just a short while because it made the game too easy. It just ruins the game all around.
Lena Wolf
Sounds to be the same concept as the onset of the Dragonborn and Dawnguard DLCs in Skyrim. I don't want vampires attacking everything and everyone from level 1! I've got other stuff to do!! Sheesh! blink.gif And may be I don't even want to play those DLCs, so don't force me. wink.gif
Renee
This makes me smile... all this discussion, yet only one of us (me) is currently playing this game AFAIK!

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 5 2021, 03:41 PM) *

’Both of them begin swinging, while the inn's guests mosey about calmly. Joan is careful not to hit any of them, as she rushes back upstairs again,…’
- - Haha, Joan fights like Jan the Stormcrow!

Yes, very true. So many people are desperate for selfies with Stormcrow she must do things to avoid getting them hurt. In Morrowind (the vanilla game) most indoor NPCs stand around forever like statues, however I figured out how to make them wander as described in this post. Because of this, Joan must be extra careful not to hit one of them. Because they don't fight or flee like they do in later Bethesda games, if an unrelated fight takes place near to them. panic.gif They just sort of wander around, hurr-dee-durr, while all that activity was going on!

QUOTE(Lopov @ Sep 7 2021, 03:06 AM) *

I already forgot details but don't these assassins keep coming and coming until you at least do some part of the quest that their attack triggers?

On Xbox just one (and only one) Assassin shows up. I've never seen any more than one. However, it's possible more of them show up in the PC version, as Wyrd explains ... Also I never did the MQ on Xbox, so maybe more DB Assassins attack in that game, if MQ gets followed, and Tribunal is present as well. ph34r.gif

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 7 2021, 04:49 AM) *

I suspect that Arkay just might ordain Joan's person...

Yes, ordain mine person! said she. Doncha just love Thesaurus.com? laugh.gif

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Sep 7 2021, 11:21 AM) *

You will love this part of the game (or Morroblivion, if they also show up and attack in that version). It's similar to Hackdirt in Oblivion, when that one Brethren attacks us as we try to sleep in the inn. indifferent.gif Basically, I never see it coming. Gives me chills up the spine every time.

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Sep 7 2021, 06:17 PM) *

This last playthrough I was doing a few months ago, I was handling the assassins with ease until eventually a duo attacked so damn quickly that I just got stun-locked. I hadn't wanted to go to Mournhold yet so they just kept coming randomly when I rested outside. Annoyed the hell out of me.

Yah, this does sound annoying, if they keep on coming like this. huh.gif Yikes.

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Sep 8 2021, 08:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 8 2021, 08:27 AM) *

I'm not sure why this is

Here is what UESP says about it: "The conditions for being attacked in your sleep differ between the PC and Xbox versions of the game. In the PC version, you can be attacked at any time, even when you sleep for the first time after starting a new game with Tribunal installed. In the Xbox version, you will only be attacked after you have reached level 6."

So my memory is correct, except I thought it was Level 3 through 5 they show up, not Level 6. Weird how they made the Xbox and PC versions differ so much when they released Tribunal.

QUOTE(macole @ Sep 8 2021, 11:10 AM) *

There's a mod Murderous Dreams that I used in the past that delays DB attacks until you reach a certain amount of fame. It kind of simulates non-descript persona until your fame becomes high and wide enough to attract attention. It worked well for me but others have reported problems with it.

This mod makes a lot of sense, roleplay-wise it seems odd that somebody would just attack our character when they've barely done anything in Morrowind, yet. unsure.gif I will continue to do it the vanilla way with Joan (because maybe in her past she's pissed off the DB somehow) but maybe with some other characters I'll eventually use this mod. Just for variety's sake.

Renee
Today's story is not as exciting, but it's a shortie. According to its date, I wrote it August 15, so I am almost a month behind with the storytelling at this point, compared to where she is in the game. viking.gif

----------------------------------

Last Seed 22 (Day 7), early evening

IPB Image

"What's this about?" asks an Imperial Archer as Joan makes her way toward Fort Pelagiad.

Joan spends most of Last Seed 22 getting her gear repaired, and talking to the residents around town. Oddly, nobody wants to discuss last night's assassin, it seems. Indeed, nobody bothers to broach this subject at all as she inquires here and there. Even in Halfway Tavern itself! .. Only later when speaking to a guard does she get any feedback.

"You say you've been attacked by assassins?" asks the guard.

"Just one assassin," answers Joan. "As I attempted rest last night within Halfway Tavern, I heard a loud noise, and immediately perceived the presence of darkness within the inn's confines. A man wearing all black warned me gravely that I would die, then proceeded to press his assault. Oddly, I located him after one rather extensive pursuit, as he was locked within one of Halfway's upper rooms. Which as I shall assume, means the room was rented to him by Drelasa. Since he donned himself in all black, I shall also make the assumption that he traipsed within Halfway donned in familiar clothing, then redressed his personage."

The guard harrumphs. Then continues. "From your description, it sounds like the work of the Dark Brotherhood!"

"Why...No! This cannot be!!"

"I'm not sure who you angered," the guard replies with fear, "but stay away from me."

Joan stands confused, and says nothing. So much for 'Protect and serve, it's what we do.'

"I suppose this should be officially reported, though. Speak to Apelles Marius in Ebonheart about this matter," the guard informs, hoping the lady before him will go away, and he'll be able to then go back to what he's really good at: wandering around the village until it's time for ale and mutton.

"But why would the Brotherhood desire to strike upon me?"

"Scum, ALL of them!" the guard intones angrily. "If they're after you friend, you'd better find yourself some help. Or write a will. Or both."

Joan disagrees with this sentiment. All one needs are the graces hereforth from the Nine, thinks she. "I shall be fine," she says to the guard. "Many thank yous, sire."

She walks uphill to the fort, where she tries to join the Legion. Unfortunately, the legion here in Pelagiad cannot accept her interest. Instead, she must go to a place called Gnisis to join, where ever that may be. She later learns that Gnisis is nowhere close. Meaning Balmora shall hopefully be her next destination.

Pseron Wyrd
QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 9 2021, 04:52 PM) *

roleplay-wise it seems odd that somebody would just attack our character when they've barely done anything in Morrowind, yet.

I've done roleplays where my character pissed off someone in Cyrodiil so badly (usually connected to the reason my character was in prison in Cyrodiil) that they hired the Dark Brotherhood to track mu characters down in Vvardenfell and kill them.

I did one interesting playthrough of an aging ex-Dark Brotherhood assassin who got entangled in slimy, back-stabbing organizational politics and, as a result, the Dark Mother framed her for a crime (which landed her in a Cyrodiil prison). When my character was unexpectedly released by the Emperor it so enraged the Dark Mother that she sent assassins after her.
SubRosa
First rule of Pelagiad, what happens in Pelagiad, stays in Pelagiad.

I see the guards are the same high quality individuals we have come to know and love in every video game. I hear they used to be adventurers like us, until that arrow thing...
Acadian
Yes, that guard was not very helpful, was he? laugh.gif
macole
Ack! Joan, the guard told you what to do to stop the attacks. Don’t delay, go report the incident to Apelles Marius in Ebonheart. That is unless you like selling the frogman suits for tons of gold.
Renee
Nice, Wyrd, she pissed off the Brotherhood, that's what I'm saying! smile.gif Yes there's always gotta be a reason why they come after us. Damn, that's deep.

Yes, the guards are pretty wooden in this game! laugh.gif Convenient whey we need them, except for sometimes. And also then. Ironically, her luck with guards is about to change...

She will head off to Ebonheart macole, but not now. Joanie feels her calling is in Balmora. (And from my perspective, I want to go there too because that's the mysterious Main Quest which I'm eager to learn about).

Love you all. cake.gif salute.gif Hug_emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

21 Last Seed (Day 9), early afternoon

IPB Image

"I don't know you. What do you want?"

"Joan of Cheydinhal. I come to you, and to this fort, to inquire on the prospect of joining the Imperial Legion."

Today Joan stands in Fort Moonmoth, an Imperial garrison, located a mile east of Balmora. Joan enters the fort, and speaks to the man who seems to be its commander (for he stands directly in the middle of Moonmoth's lobby). Joan had been told to travel to Fort Darius, so she can join the Legion there. Fort Darius is quite a long ways away, though. So she is here, in Moonmoth, hoping its commander would not be so strict.

"I am Radd Hard-Heart," says Moonmoth's commander. "Master-at-Arms and Knight Protector of the Imperial Legion."

"Yes. Might I inquire about joining? I have been told I do meet the legion's stringent standards for recruitment."

"All the garrisons are presently at full strength," says Hard-Heart. "Except, perhaps, the Deathshead Legion at Fort Darius..."

Well, so much for that attempt. Joan is dismayed by Hard-Heart's words, but does not protest. Does not roll her eyes or stamp her feet. There shalt a time for this quest to be resolved, thinks she, and the Gods have not chosen for that time to be the present.

"Thank you kindly," she says to the commander.

Good news is, Moonmoth also holds a chapter of the Imperial Cult, and Joan does manage to join this instead. Somuris Vunnis, the cult's local chapter head, is impressed by Joan. Joan of Cheydinhal, who has been raised as a devout and fully-versed follower of the Nine Divines. Somuris also notes that Joan is well-spoken and polite, and has some magical resistance. She has been trained at speechcraft, and devotes her magic mostly to the restorative and mystical schools of thought.

There is a cost of 50 drakes for her to join. Most others aspiring become part of the Cult might complain about this, but not Joan. 'Tithing' is what this is called, Joan was already well-familiar with why it was purposeful to tithe to an organization, especially one devoted to good works. Though she hasn't got much, she devotes 50 drakes to Somuris Vunnis. Now she has even less.

"You are now a Layman in the Imperial Cult," says Somuris, handing her a copy of For my Gods and Emperor. "Welcome, Joan of Cheydinhal, to our community...."

Joan allows a rare smile to slip through her stony countenance. She now has places to stay, and things to do. Plenty of things to do, according to Somuris, although he hasn't got anything for her right now. Instead, she'll need to head to Ebonheart to pick up some tasks.

Joan spends the rest of the day and night in Fort Moonmoth, conversing, listening, and learning. The next morning, she decides to ask one of Moonmoth's outdoor guards if he'd like to accompany her to Balmora. *

"'Tis just down the way, as you may know really, since you live here. Might you choose to assist me as I sojourn into town?"

"Very well," the guard says. Two words. Just like that, the guard leaves whatever post he's supposed to be watching over, and begins to follow Joan.

"You can return to Moonmoth at any time you desire," Joan tells him as they begin to walk away. "Surely, you cannot neglect your duties for long..."

... But the guard never does return. Apparently, his posting at Moonmoth was decent, but the prospect of Adventure, Riches, Valor, and possibly Fame are noteworthy, as well.

------------------------------

Radd Hard-Heart, Moonmoth's Commander

Somuris Vunnis Moonmoth's Priest

Joan persuades her first soldier.

* Note-- I felt like Joan was wanting somebody to join her, and thankfully, I was able to fulfill this wish. Found a mod called Supreme Follower System which allows us to have ANY NPC in the game become our follower. This can become quite a powerful mod, of course. Imperial soldiers are pretty tough, especially while shadowing Level 1 Joan. viking.gif
SubRosa
Looks like the Legion is not too keen on Joan. Their loss, the Imperial Cult's gain.

That is a neat mod, that allows you to turn anyone into a follower. It looks like Joan's own personal Army of Light has had its first recruitment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.