Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doom 3
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
ED 209
I bought Doom 3 on saturday on my 18th birthday, it's so amazing! I played it until sunup with headphones and the lights off and it freaked me out more than any film or game I've ever played before.
Zelda_Zealot
I played it too, very scary game! I was playing once at about 8:30ish with the lights off and was still scared out of my mind, the demonic laughing is just plain creepy. *shivers*
ED 209
QUOTE(Zelda_Zealot @ Aug 29 2005, 06:27 PM)
I played it too, very scary game! I was playing once at about 8:30ish with the lights off and was still scared out of my mind, the demonic laughing is just plain creepy. *shivers*

Yeah, I always stop moving when the dude laughs because something bad always happens then.
Red
I thought it was pretty good, but I think my scarey movie loving ruined some of it. The action was fun but after a while, I could predict scarey moments. Also, I was way too good at it.
ED 209
QUOTE(Red @ Aug 29 2005, 09:04 PM)
I thought it was pretty good, but I think my scarey movie loving ruined some of it. The action was fun but after a while, I could predict scarey moments. Also, I was way too good at it.

Well I only bought it a few days ago and I only play it on veteran so i'm having a tough enough time.
Wolfie
I found it fun, but i didn't think it was that scary. There was the odd shock scare of something randomly popping out, but no overall scare, for me at least
Stargazey
I HATED that game. It was boring, predictable, and about as scary as pink bunnies wearing frilly bows.
Wolfie
QUOTE(Stargazey @ Aug 29 2005, 11:29 PM)
I HATED that game. It was boring, predictable, and about as scary as pink bunnies wearing frilly bows.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not the bunnies! AUGH!!!!
ShogunSniper
QUOTE(Stargazey @ Aug 29 2005, 07:29 PM)

it wasnt that bad now was it? i enjoyed it for about 2 hours. then i just got bored of it. dont know what happened.....
DoomedOne
I found it insanely fun and very creepy for about two hours into it, and then I got a little bored.
Zelda_Zealot
QUOTE(Stargazey @ Aug 29 2005, 06:29 PM)

You are taling about Doom 3 right?
DoomedOne
Yeah he is, I can understand his viewpoint completely. I liked it, but after the first ten hours I could easily see how I could have formed that opinion. It is, after all, very repetitive.
Zelda_Zealot
Yeah but its fun repetitiveness, to me at least. I guess I just like repetitivity.
ED 209
I don't know what you're all talking about, what you should do is get a good pair of headphones, turn the volume up to near max, switch the lights of and play on the hardest difficulty from midnight for a few hours.
Wurlon
I thought doom 3 was crappy, the monsters were used a million times and I played it during the night didn't even scare me, I thought it was fun to beat down zombies with my flashlight..... and I played it on xbox live on coop and deathmatches the day after, and I was happy I rented it.

My other thoughts? People say it's scary because everyone else does... I don't find it scary... the stupid satanic demon dude would laugh whenever something surprised attacked, and you could easily see where stuff would pop out.
Channler
Well I almost compassion my pants when I played the DEMO... No joke.. when the lights went off I was freakin out, then when the first flying skull was seen I took the disc and broke it in two.. no joke..
DoomedOne
Yeah I liked to play it with the lights off around midnight with my headphones on near max and my great graphics card making everything intensely sharp, but it only goes so far. You know those spider things, they were cool for a little while and kept me playing after I told myself if I saw another freaking imp I'd quit, but they attacks are so cheap and stuff it makes it more frustrating then frightening. A two foot spider cannot attack from five feet away. Also, around the 8th times they jumped me and came in loads I just said to myself, 'Oh god, if I see another spider I'm going to quit, and I saw one more spider.
Wurlon
I did , however, think it was creative to strap two rockets to a skeleton....
Archimedes
The only creepy part I had in what I've played of it was fighting the spiders (almost seems as shooter cliche eh?) But other then that none of it really seemed creepy. It felt like everytime you walked down any hallway it go dark and you heard the laughing, It did get kinda old after a bit.
Kell-Reevor
I really liked it. Sure it wasn't actually scary but it was certainly entertaining (though the Alpha Labs and the Recycling Centers did get creepy at times). I don't think it sucked just because it wasn't scary.

I especially enjoyed playing it at night with subwoofers and surround sound with the lights off and playing the second hardest difficulty. I couldn't do the last difficultey that whole health constantly draining thing just got really depressing.

But in all? Lets just say I wish I hadn't ruined CD1 by leaving it out for a week. I found it under my bed with several gashes in it. sad.gif
Fuzzy Knight
I was at a friend at Friday, came to him around 22:00 at the night. Was joined by another friend. It was one with the headset and all lights out and I sat playing DOOM 3 for the first time. I played and watch a scary movie til around 02:00, the game is just great. I didn't play that much to discovery the real game, but to be suddently trapped in a room and then all the creatures suddently comes out with chainsaws and all that!

Great game so far as I played it, cool monsters, scary sounds and almost black all the time. You enter a room and you need to take up your flashlight and then it suddently comes a big fat 600 pounds blubb of a monster attacking you, I totally paniced and started shooting on him with the crappy gun in the pitch black and got killed tongue.gif

Hehe, but after a few tries tho I managed to cut him down with the chainsaw - but for a first experiance with DOOM 3 it was great!
Intestinal Chaos
Well It has nice graphics and all... but that only takes it so far. I found myself bored with it 30 minuetes into the game. Enough said.
mirocu
I have almost only bad things to say about this game. Cheap jump scares, repetitive shooting and go-to-this-place-only-to-discover-that-you-need-to-go-back-and-get-something-and-get-ambushed. And can someone please for the love of Azura tell me why the marine canīt hold the flashlight in his left hand while using the pistol with his right!??
Also Doom 3, just like FO3, could not get the minigun right. But Doom 3īs version is even more crappy.

This game is new enough to not have this [censored] mad.gif

Thank god I got rid of it on ebay.
SubRosa
I still prefer the original doom. You can still play it on modern hardware with Doomsday.
mirocu
I agree the original Doom is far superior to Doom 3. Straight forward action with no leftovers from the common north-walking bullīs south end.
The original is also all about shooting I know, but in its simplicity itīs done better and doesnīt try to be something more when it isnīt. Same reason I still enjoy Wolf3D.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.