Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Total War Series, Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Empire, Napoleon, etc...
SubRosa
post Jun 10 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #161

Ancient
Group Icon

Javelin troops like Velites and Peltasts are most effective against chariots and elephants. They have a bonus to their damage them.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 10 2017, 04:21 PM
Post #162

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 10 2017, 09:56 AM) *

Javelin troops like Velites and Peltasts are most effective against chariots and elephants. They have a bonus to their damage them.

These were the little sword guys Ha-something.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 10 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #163

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 10 2017, 11:21 AM) *

Hastati. They also have javelins. Same with the Principes. Roman javelins are very dangerous. They are practically a super weapon. Once you get in range of them, you want to either immediately close into melee so they cannot throw their pila, or get away so you are back out of range.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 10 2017, 07:14 PM
Post #164

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 10 2017, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 10 2017, 11:21 AM) *

Hastati. They also have javelins. Same with the Principes. Roman javelins are very dangerous. They are practically a super weapon. Once you get in range of them, you want to either immediately close into melee so they cannot throw their pila, or get away so you are back out of range.

Heh learned that lesson the hard way!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 10 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #165

Ancient
Group Icon

In the Sarmatian campaign I recently did, the ERE did more damage to me with their javelins than anything else.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 10 2017, 07:25 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 10 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #166

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 10 2017, 01:25 PM) *

In the Sarmatian campaign I recently did, the ERE did more damage to me with their javelins than anything else.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the pila, we would've taken far fewer casualties. The Julii were starting to retreat by the time Khajiit brought his infantry and heavy chariots forward.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 23 2017, 03:10 AM
Post #167

Ancient
Group Icon

Picked up Khajiit's Briton campaign for the first time in a couple of weeks. Things are degrading fast. We've got one last Gaulish stronghold standing between us and our victory conditions, which is a very good thing because we are bleeding funds like crazy. Tried assaulting the town with a force at about 80% strength and all of our infantry was destroyed in our haste to finish the game, forcing us to withdraw our chariots. With our chariot forces (numbering about 6 chariot archer units and a warlord melee chariot unit), 12 chosen swordsmen, and about 20 head hurlers parked a little ways away from their town, the enemy decided to throw a general's bodyguard unit at us. Either they have generals to spare or they are very desperate. We destroyed that unit to the man (no other outcome was possible), and now we have another full army on the way down to take the town. They should arrive in a couple of turns.

In Spain we took a Julii town and then moved south to threaten another. They sent a full stack army to meet us but when our forces attacked them, they mysteriously immediately withdrew. Sensing that these Roman dogs weren't much of a threat, we parked our army just east of their town hoping they will batter themselves against our chariot archers or leave us alone while we focus on Gaul. They left us alone. When Khajiit plays again he will finish his campaign. Growing a bit weary of it, to be honest.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jun 23 2017, 03:12 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 23 2017, 05:37 PM
Post #168

Ancient
Group Icon

Ugh, finally finished it. We wiped out the last Gaulish stronghold, but had we continued playing the Julii would have caused us serious trouble. Things were so chaotic there at the end, Khajiit is really glad to move on from that campaign. Next we may try Egypt again.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 23 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #169

Ancient
Group Icon

Attila Total War is now on sale on Steam. I am downloading it now.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 23 2017, 10:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 23 2017, 09:41 PM
Post #170

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 23 2017, 03:30 PM) *

Oooh! How much they want for it?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 23 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #171

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 23 2017, 04:41 PM) *

It was about $11 and change. I bought all the culture pack dlcs with it, which bumped it up to $21. I did not bother with the Charlemagne or Last Roman dlcs though. I don't know that I would ever play them.

One of the big downsides to the Britons and chariot-heavy factions in general is that chariots are awful in cities. It is not so bad on the smaller unit sizes. But if you play on Huge one unit winds up spreading out over the entire city. That makes sieges a headache. Especially when your general is a chariot unit.

You don't mean 20 Head Hurler units do you! That is a full stack of them. One or two is about all you really need of them. Those Chosen Swords are really good infantry though. An excellent backbone for any army.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 23 2017, 10:21 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 23 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #172

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 23 2017, 04:16 PM) *

It was about $11 and change. I bought all the culture pack dlcs with it, which bumped it up to $21. I did not bother with the Charlemagne or Last Roman dlcs though. I don't know that I would ever play them.

One of the big downsides to the Britons and chariot-heavy factions in general is that chariots are awful in cities. It is not so bad on the smaller unit sizes. But if you play on Huge one unit winds up spreading out over the entire city. That makes sieges a headache. Especially when your general is a chariot unit.

You don't mean 20 Head Hurler units do you! That is a full stack of them. One or two is about all you really need of them. Those Chosen Swords are really good infantry though. An excellent backbone for any army.

Yeah most of the time during sieges Khajiit's chariots would sit unused except for some covering fire for infantry as they make their way through breaches or the gate (of course this only applies to chariot archers). When our infantry forces reached the plaza and victory was assured, Khajiit then brought a chariot archer unit into the city that targeted the mass of enemy troops to make things go a little quicker. In our previous comment about head hurlers, it was only one unit that had about 20 hurlers in it. In that battle, we didn't even use the infantry or foot missile units. It was all chariots.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 23 2017, 10:42 PM
Post #173

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 23 2017, 05:32 PM) *

Yeah most of the time during sieges Khajiit's chariots would sit unused except for some covering fire for infantry as they make their way through breaches or the gate (of course this only applies to chariot archers). When our infantry forces reached the plaza and victory was assured, Khajiit then brought a chariot archer unit into the city that targeted the mass of enemy troops to make things go a little quicker. In our previous comment about head hurlers, it was only one unit that had about 20 hurlers in it. In that battle, we didn't even use the infantry or foot missile units. It was all chariots.

I thought you might have meant one unit of 20. Way back when I played the Brits I would try to have two head hurlers in my armies. I would keep them behind my main line of infantry to throw their heads, and act as a reserve. Mostly I relied on Chosen Swords and Naked Fanatics, with some light chariots to chase down routers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 23 2017, 10:50 PM
Post #174

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 23 2017, 04:42 PM) *

I thought you might have meant one unit of 20. Way back when I played the Brits I would try to have two head hurlers in my armies. I would keep them behind my main line of infantry to throw their heads, and act as a reserve. Mostly I relied on Chosen Swords and Naked Fanatics, with some light chariots to chase down routers.
Britons don't have access to naked fanatics, did you mean woad warriors?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 23 2017, 11:55 PM
Post #175

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 23 2017, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 23 2017, 04:42 PM) *

Britons don't have access to naked fanatics, did you mean woad warriors?

Ah that's right. The Woads. It has been a while since I played the Brits.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 24 2017, 01:56 AM
Post #176

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 23 2017, 05:55 PM) *

Ah that's right. The Woads. It has been a while since I played the Brits.

Lol, pretty much amounts to the same thing, they just paint themselves blue! laugh.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 24 2017, 02:28 AM
Post #177

Ancient
Group Icon

I installed Attila, and gave a quick try with the Danes to get a feel for the game. I wasn't thrilled. First off, the Danes have ugly colors. I mean, who picked that fugly mule piss yellow? But worse, I had trouble telling which unit I had selected. I think the yellow unit color made it hard to see the yellow triangles under the feet of the units I selected. I think the banner of the selected unit gets a yellow rim around it. But it was hard to notice during the one battle I fought. Back in RTW 1 when you selected a unit its banner would bob up and down and throb, so it was really easy to tell which unit you had selected. The banners also looked a lot better back then too. Now they are just square and plain, and rather lame-looking.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 24 2017, 02:29 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 24 2017, 03:10 AM
Post #178

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 23 2017, 08:28 PM) *

I installed Attila, and gave a quick try with the Danes to get a feel for the game. I wasn't thrilled. First off, the Danes have ugly colors. I mean, who picked that fugly mule piss yellow? But worse, I had trouble telling which unit I had selected. I think the yellow unit color made it hard to see the yellow triangles under the feet of the units I selected. I think the banner of the selected unit gets a yellow rim around it. But it was hard to notice during the one battle I fought. Back in RTW 1 when you selected a unit its banner would bob up and down and throb, so it was really easy to tell which unit you had selected. The banners also looked a lot better back then too. Now they are just square and plain, and rather lame-looking.

Hmmm, that's disappointing. Did you check and see if you could change interface settings?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 24 2017, 04:35 AM
Post #179

Mouth
Group Icon

iirc the yellow colour is just to indicate that it's your faction - you can change it in the settings.

I'd also recommend this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=526513366 which reskins all of the playable factions.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 24 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #180

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 23 2017, 10:35 PM) *

iirc the yellow colour is just to indicate that it's your faction - you can change it in the settings.

I'd also recommend this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=526513366 which reskins all of the playable factions.

Khajiit figured Haz would have some more encouraging information about this!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

19 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 12:47 PM