18 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Saga of Joan of Arkay, A Morrowind Main Quest Story
Renee
post Sep 9 2023, 04:24 AM
Post #301

Councilor
Group Icon

Hey, yes I am back! Hug_emoticon.gif I did not accomplish all of the real-life goals we set earlier this summer, but I did achieve one of the most promising of them: looks like I'm going to be getting a new job, at a local book store! Really happy about this of course, as reading is one of my passions. I love the way brand-new books smell, as well. 📚 I'm usually in the store at least once or twice a week, most of the folks who work there know me by now, so this definitely helped. Because it's not like I ever went to school for this sort of thing (my immediate superior has a degree in Library Science...)

As far as relationships go, that's still an uphill struggle. Always will be, as we all get older. I've been making time to get out there. Can't do the online thing (urgh, I just can't) but I have gone to a couple singles nights. But I can't keep putting off writing, so here I am.

@macole-- Yea, that was ... um, I was like "whoa!" She's still in her Imperial gear! blink.gif UESP has quite a chart regarding how all the different factions work in TES 3, there's a chart on this page which explains how it all works.

So yeah, Ashlanders have a -2 reaction against Imperial Legion. Guess we're lucky they didn't outright attack my Joanie.

@SubRosa-- Yeah, it really is unknown, the direction we're heading in. Although I've inadvertently read a few spoilers over the years, overall I'm still playing pretty blind. cool.gif

Ironically, the whole waterwalking thing became unnecessary over the long run, as it's not that bad (takes about a day in-game) to simply walk from Maar Gan to Urshilaku. But at the time, her idea to take the long way paid off, in the sense she was completely able to avoid a few predators, especially a few daedra. devilsmile.gif

And yeah, it's a good thing she had all those "gifts" and a bit of money to spend. 💰 Urk

@Acadian-- Thank you, paladin. Indeed, Joan was travelling with a bowgirl, I think I have a picture of her.

Yep, here she is. This pair made quite a team. Morrowind's archers aren't so bent on loosing their missiles into our backs (they don't move around as much) so Joan's close-combat melee was perfectly complimented by the bowgirl's arrows.

Joan has the patience of Arkay to play their games. I hope her Imperial armor is not going to be a large further impediment.

Turns out it wasn't so bad. Still, now that the armor's off, things did progress with a lot more ease in the next chapter.

@WellTemperedClavier-- Thanks, really appreciate the return welcome. Hug_emoticon.gif Again, it was good she did come to Urshilaku bearing plenty of 'gifts'. Didn't see any of that coming. In Morrowind we can't carry too many items of course, not without Speed getting drained quite a bit. So it's amazing she had a few things she could spare, to further things right along.

I love the fact that what we wear can make quite a difference in this game.

The next chapter is ready to post, but maybe I'll let it simmer overnight. Yeah, think I'll do that.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 9 2023, 01:25 PM
Post #302

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XLVII: Entertaining the Prophecies

Joan found an old basket located just beyond the camp, and stored her armor pieces away. This would've been more of an embarrassing feat for her if she'd been more of an egotistical, arrogant sort of person. If she'd shown up to Urshilaku as swashbuckling and righteous for instance, trying to propagate any beliefs or benefits of her precious Nine over the Dunmeri's faith toward Lord Nerevar for instance, perhaps by now the entire camp would be sending her away with the Ashlander's equivalent of scythes and pitchforks. As it was, they'd already seen her wearing Imperial pieces, yet now she'd try again to persuade them, this time donning the apparel of a commoner. Hopefully this wouldn't be a problem.

She also removed her heavy iron boots, returning to the camp barefoot, although eventually (as her feet became filthy with ash) she'd opt for a pair of cheap moccasins bought from the camp's trader.

"Say what you want, or go away!"

"I have no patience with outlanders."

Undeterred, Joan moved by them without any comment, keeping her eyes averted and dour. By grace, nobody even mentioned her change of apparel. Perhaps their capacity for criticism in this regard wasn't so great, because here we have a grouping of nomads whose lives consisted of dwelling on the verge of strife at all times, who'd been outcast from common society due to their supposedly heretical beliefs. Perhaps the possibility to become pompous or fault-finding under such conditions simply could not occur, because they'd all been in similar situations to where Joan is now, themselves.

Still, the moment was tense. They hadn't pointed, they hadn't brayed laughter, and they hadn't forced her to leave, but there was a certain tension in the air which Joan could've carved with her magical knife. Thankfully, there was only one more camp-dweller she'd need to speak to.

"Yes, outlander," Zabamund the Gulakhan said after Joan Marie reentered his yurt. "What may I do for you?"

Joan had already spoken to him before, had given him coin and had somehow managed to butter him up with the right sort of words, hence his relaxed tone of voice. But now she took the time to converse with him again, chattering in (what she hoped) was a somber yet crucial tone of voice, utilizing small banter to ease any further worries, asking questions.

Finally, it was time to get to the point.

"Talk, outlander. Speak with respect, and I will listen."

The visitor nodded. "I, Joan of the outlands, am hereby present for an opportunity to converse with Sul-Matuul, sera. And yet, my presence portends upon the outset, as I have been advised that I must speak to you, first."

"The Nerevarine Prophecies are not for outlanders," the gulakhan started, surprising Joan. "Why should Sul-Matuul and Nibani Macsa speak to you about these things?" Zabamund grabbed what looked to be a cup of tea from a nearby saucer on the floor. He was about to take a sip, but left the cup hovering just beneath his chin, as though a sudden thought had occurred. Or, perhaps he was doing this for dramatic effect. "Who are you, that we should trust you?"

At the mention of the prophecies, Joan stiffened. It hadn't been her intention to broach such a sensitive subject, and so soon!

"Ehm, well. I have been sent to better understand the Nerevarine, sera," she began. "That it might be I, who shall become graced with the task of gathering heretofore unforeseen knowledge, and expand upon the understanding of Nerevarine culture." Thinking fast, she continued as so: "As a traveling student of the College of Cheydinhal, ehm, which... I suppose I must explain that Cheydinhal is my homeland, I have studied a posy of subjects, sera, mostly specializing within doctrinal matters and customs." Joan fought a sudden urge to scratch her neck, or shift her feet about nervously. "Which is why I have ventured so far from the mainland."

Zabamund sipped his drink with an extended pinky, apparently patient for her to continue.

"I suppose you might refer to me as a sort of consort. An ambassador who's been tasked an assignment to venture far into realms which might otherwise not be as well-understood, by those who comfortably dwell within more, ehm, constrained societies. The Imperials to some extent, but really all and anyone with the desire to broaden their learnings. That those who deign to enrich their knowledge amongst the more, ehm, unrecalled members of Tamrielic existence, might then choose to do so, especially after my continued strands of research are readied and collected for expanded studies. The ideals of the Ashlander sects, detailed for those who contain the propensity for curiosity, explained by someone such as myself, who has fostered for such pursuits, firsthand. That thy truer story, the story of thy passion concerning Lord Nerevar himself, here amongst the ashes of Vvardenfell, might properly then be told...that this passion is of more importance than pleasing these so-called Great Houses of the Tribunal..."

Some of the things she mentioned were a bit of an untruth of course, in the sense that Joan was making it sound as though she were on (perhaps) a scholarly pursuit. Joan Marie of Cyrodiil, basically blabbing; attempting to see if this sudden flurry of words might further her progress. And yet, there was some validity to her explanation. As her background in scholarly pursuits dictated, she certainly was on an earnest quest for learning, although this quest was more of a personal mission, not something truly backed by any sort of school or consortium.

But how was the chitin-wearing Ashlander before her to know the difference?

"Hmm," the gulakhan rumbled gruffly. "These are not simple matters. You know a lot more than I would have thought. And some of what you say is news to me..."

Joan Marie downcast her eyes.

Amazingly, Zabamund decided to allow the Breton to continue her inquiry. "I believe you should speak to Sal-Matuul. Perhaps he will be angry with me. But I think I can bear that. Go now to the Ashkhan's Yurt," he commanded. "Ask him questions. And tell him I have sent you."

It seemed odd to Joan that Zabamund was not simply walking over to his superior's dwelling to explain these things himself. But customs were customs of course; perhaps such a simple thing was unthinkable. In any event, she left Zabamund's tent, ready to speak to Urshilaku's ashkhan.

Upon re-entering his home, Joan immediately noted that Sal-Matuul appeared to be relaxed this time, as though he already knew Joan had been allowed to speak with the village's premier gatekeeper. No purplish shielding-magic surrounded the elf, nor did he suddenly display his gigantic, magical broadaxe.

"I have returned with thoughts of benevolence, sera."

"Yes, Joan of Arkay," the ashkhan greeted, surprising the Breton once more, for how could he know of her latest decisions of faith? "You wish to talk with me about the Nerevarine prophecies? Go ahead. I am now very curious."

As always, Joan chose not to move into such delicate conversation forthwith. Instead, she bantered on a measure of less sensitive subjects: events and rumors happening around the camp, how Sul-Matuul had become the essential chief of Urshilaku, and so on. Finally, the subject at hand.

"My arrival precedes events which have been foretold through the ages, sera," Joan stated with an odd measure of confidence. "That the Nerevarine should withstand these events, and the peoples of the ashlands might gather upon the prophecies to come."

These words were virtual guar-dung of course, Joan stating whatever first notions came to mind. Yet they also contained a substantial amount of truth. Because there was no way she would be so bold as to follow Caius's directions to a fault; no way she was going to attempt to "become" the Nerevarine!!! -- Instead, she was (again) choosing to present herself as being curious about the folklore surrounding the Nerevar, as more of an academic than an actual. Might this be a decent course of action?

"You think you fulfill the Nerevarine prophecies?" Ashkhan Sul-Matuul questioned, after another half-hour or so. "You wish to be tested to see if you are the Nerevarine...?"

"Oh but no, but sera! Why, I could never..."

But the ashkhan ignored these protests. "No outlander may join the Nerevarine Cult," he informed somberly. "If you were a Clanfriend however, an adopted member of Ashlander tribes, then perhaps we can come to an agreement."

"An... come to an agreement?"

Sul-Matuul then presented an idea. "I have an initiation rite in mind, Breton. If you pass this rite, I shall adopt you as a Clanfriend of the Ashlanders. And then I shall submit you to speak to Nibani Macsa, our wise woman, who is skilled in oracles and mysteries, and who shall test you against the prophecies."

By the grace, once again, Joan found herself being thrust into a category she could only attest was not meant for the likes of her. Sal-Matuul explained that she'd need to go a cave known as Urshilaku Burial Caverns, to fetch a magical bow. This bow, like Joan's magical mace, her Blessed Sheild, and her Daggar of Judgment, had its own unique name: the Bonebiter Bow. It had once belonged to Sul-Matuul's father. If Joan could somehow enter the caverns and fetch this bow, the Ashlanders would then accept her as a Clanfriend.

Ashkhan Sul-Matuul then gave Joan detailed instructions on how to get to Urshilaku Burial Caverns. And though she decided to continue onward, into whatever was to come regarding this bizarre situation, she could not help but remember the revelations orated to her by Aradirr the card-reader back in Balmora; how her entire future existence was about to change in such a way which was completely the reverse of everything and anything she had currently known and expected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Water Walking

Joan's Weird Hippy Dance (Hey man, this is how my 'toon chooses to relax sometimes. Dig it.)

Lopov'd Sunset

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 9 2023, 11:20 PM
Post #303

Ancient
Group Icon

Joan is entertaining.

Getting down to her humble clothes and lack of shoes sounds like Joanie is going back to her roots here.

So Joan lays down some smack talk, and gets in the door with the Khan.

An initiation rite? That sounds like a quest to me! It's off to get the Bonebiter we go!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 10 2023, 12:01 AM
Post #304

Paladin
Group Icon

Good call to don her more modest attire. Joan’s speechcraft seems to be paying off as she manages to navigate the pitfalls of dealing with the ashlanders. Ah, a quest to complete – then she’s in there as friend of the clan. Fetch a bow. How hard can it be?

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
macole
post Sep 11 2023, 07:29 AM
Post #305

Mouth
Group Icon

Urshilaku Burial Caverns, what a fun little place to get lost in

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 17 2023, 05:06 PM
Post #306

Councilor
Group Icon

@SubRosa-- I can imagine walking around in a land full of dust would not be very fun in bare feet.

@Acadian-- It would be a fun little experiment to try: doing the whole entryway into the camp while wearing Imperial armor from the very start, and then doing it again without it. viking.gif I wonder if there'd be an actual difference.

I can remember long ago in 2009, when my pure mage Igoda Go^Pe went into the Mages Guild while wearing a necromancer's robe! ph34r.gif "By the Nine, take those awful robes off!" Jeanne Frasoric said angrily!! .

Sometimes in Morrowind the Imperial Legions won't even speak to Joan unless she's wearing Imperial armor. rolleyes.gif The Ashlanders won't actually say anything, but I think clothing choices factor into Disposition chances.

@macole-- Yeah, you ain't kidding; the place is a lot more massive than we thought. It's hard to keep track of where we are, too. It's not exactly fun for Joan, well, NOW it might be sort of fun. After she's picked up a certain new spell.

I had a really fun weekend, but now I'm hungover. Good thing is, the next chapter is ready to go, and will be up soon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 17 2023, 05:59 PM
Post #307

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XLVIII: Urshilaku Burial Caverns

6 Rain's Hand (Day 234) to 10 Rain's Hand (Day 238), 3E 428

Nothing is easy out here in the Ashlands, of course. As it turns out, exploring Urshilaku Burial Grounds was not a simple feat, but that’s getting ahead of ourselves; first trick was to simply find the place.

Sul-Matuul’s directions were even more vague than those given to her by Caius or anyone else. Was it impossible for any of these blokes to draw up a simple map? It was almost as if everyone was testing Joan to see how far she’d continue upon her wayward path, laughing in their yurts and their hovels while she blundered.

As she attempted to scout her way across dusty plains (the expected ash storm happy to greet her) and down gruesomely-bleak trailways, Joan of Arkay began to wonder what would happen if she simply gave it all up. Simply turned around, gathered the personal belongings she’d been storing in Balmora, and headed back to Seyda Neen. Bought herself a pass for the next boat-ride back to mainland, so she could return to Cyrodiil. Aye. Such delightful thoughts.

She’d return a much stronger, much smarter, much more capable warrior/crusader. Perhaps she could resume her studies in Cheydinhal. Perhaps she could join Cyrodiil’s military, where her particular combination of weapon skills and magical talents would be regarded as somewhat unique. Surely, she’d make a point to return to the Chapel of Arkay, where she’d then badger a tomeful of questions to the priests and deacons who’d seemingly misled her!

As she encountered the first crazed individuals who’d been infected with corprus, and the ashed-over sun began heading toward its slumber (leaving her stumbling in a darker world full of flying dust), fantasizing a return to her homeland morphed from its certain charming foothold within her mind, to an all-consuming desire for sunshine and leafy-green foliage.

No more ash storms! …. NO more threatening persons. And best of all: Sweetrolls!!! Sweetrolls and sweetcakes, milk and honey, and no food made from bugs or large, crawling maggots. And CHEESE! Lots of varieties of cheese; a different variety from every section of the province.

She'd also likely find herself under the direct command of someone who wasn't a user of skooma, assuming she continued into Cyrodiil's Legion. Not that she had any actual proof, but there was that one time she'd gone to visit Caius, and spotted what looked to be a clay smoking pipe in a corner of his hovel. Caius had always been professional, always eager to boost the confidence of his immediate charge. But the crusader couldn't help but notice his reddish eyes and his jittery body movements, and his place always reeked of something.

But following such a pursuit would be like giving up, Joan surmised grimly after bashing a corprus-infected man to oblivion. She’d been sent to Vvardenfell by the Gods, and for a very succinct set of reasons. How would they favor a quitter?

But then she got lucky. A large stone structure eventually loomed from the darkness, just as it seemed Mundus was done for the day. If anything, here was a place she could set down for the night, assuming there weren’t any enemies lurking inside. Turns out, she didn’t need to worry.

IPB Image

Joan had found a Dunmer stronghold called Falasmaryon. For some reason, a master trainer named Missun Akin had decided to take up residence next to the stronghold, and had been living in his own separate hut for some time. Missun had nothing to do with the residents inside the stronghold, and cautioned Joan about venturing inside their domain.

“Blessed!” Joan said enthusiastically after a bit of friendly banter. “Might ye find fit to accompany the likes of me, as I bungle my way across these wretched lands?”

Her travelling arrangement became nearer to perfect. Not only did she now have a guide who could help her locate Urshilaku’s caverns, Missun also knew the land. He knew how to deal with the corprus beings they occasionally encountered, without getting infected. Best of all, her new aide was a master at handling his bow, perfectly complimenting Joan’s skills with melee combat. Missun Akin also became a welcome presence whenever Joan returned to Urshilaku Camp (which she’d later need to do at least a half-dozen times over the coming days and weeks…). She had managed to befriend a native archer whom the Ashlanders were more comfortable speaking with.

O===}=o

Still, their first traipse into the burial caves, once they finally found the place, did not go so well. The place was semi-lit by occasional torches and glowing lichens, but half of Urshilaku’s initial underground chamber was filled with water. Joan could cast her nifty water-walking spell, but her companion was forced to swim. Casting spells over and over meant Joan would then need to rest (for she’d long run out of mana potions) and resting took time. Time, as it passed by, meant an eventual need for sustenance.

The place was inhabited by skeletons, one which was able to paralyze Joan several times with its magical arrows. And though Missun dispatched these unliving menaces with his own bow of bonemold, there was nothing to find once all the enemies were downed. No magical “Bonebiter” bow down here. Joan’s supplies: her food, her potions, and so on, were dwindling at this point. After many hours it was time to vacate. Time to return to the camp.

Fortunately, Urshilaku Camp had its very own trader, who was well-stocked with foodstuffs and sundries.

To relocate the place easier next time, Joan dropped a set of cheap gauntlets she’d found near an intersection of pathways just outside Urshilaku’s entry door. There. The forces of adversity can’t fool this adventurer.

During their second delve into the caverns a day later, she just happened to look upwards…

“Curses!”

…where she noticed what looked to be a mummy: an embalmed and desiccated corpse, arranged in such a way that it was sitting in an upright position to defy the millennia.

"What is this regarding, Breton?" Missun the Marksman grumbled.

“Errgh, gaze upwards," she answered, pointing. "So this is how they’re preparing their dead.” - Come and think of it, they hadn't seen any corpses at all during their first exploration.

The mummy was located on a hollowed-out shelf of rock, high above the floor. Joan could barely reach it after jumping several times, grasping with her gauntlets for purchase upon the mummy’s slimy resting place. And yes, there were a few lonely possessions sitting nearby. Which meant that (aye), the entire initial cave would need to be scoured for more mummies.

Turns out, there were quite a few of them, but the dastardly thing was: all of them were located just out of reach. Joan needed to jump to explore their local ridges and alcoves, and this was not easy for her while parading around in heavy armor. Even after removing her boots, her greaves, her cuirass; she’d never trained to be any sort of acrobat. There were a few mummies which were completely too high for her. She just happened to have a couple potions which could enhance her abilities to jump. After drinking each one and then leaping about the room with greater movement, there was still nothing significant to find. No bloody Bonebiter Bow set next to any of the cave’s fallen.

“Well, prattle-rattles, Sera Akin. Seems we've sussed this place all to Oblivion and back.”

To Joan’s further astonishment, Urshilaku’s initial area (known as its Astral Burial Chamber, according to a placard upon its door) was not the only section of the cave. They later found a second door which led to a second chamber. There were more mummies in here, some of them located impossibly high.

“What are we to do about this?” Missun Akin muttered at one point.

To Joan, the answer to this woe quickly became clear.

“Looks as though I’ll be headed south after all,” Joan of Arkay answered. “To Ald’ruhn, to Caldera, any such town which includes a guild full of mages I can then study for the magical spell-types it looks as though I am going to require.”

-------------------------------

The entry to the burial grounds is well-hidden in plain sight.

The gloom of Urshilaku

Joan and her Missun Akin

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 17 2023, 09:16 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 17 2023, 07:08 PM
Post #308

Ancient
Group Icon

Nothing is easy in the Ashlands, staring with the people's names! laugh.gif

Joan is being tempted to give up and live the easy life? I say the nay Joan! Tis but a passing phase, a natural inclination to wish to turn from the hard path ahead, for the proven road behind. But the Joan I know will not take that easy road, and that will make all the difference.

Ok, I can see why someone would get tired of the ash storms.

And Joan is not Missun out on companionship and a comrade in arms on the road I see...

Looks like Joanie wants her mummy. Who can blame her.

Looks like she was going the wrong way the entire time. She needs to go up, rather than down. I can't remember if she had learned Levitate yet? It would certainly help here. Or those levitate boots that you get from the Mara quest.

So the Bonebiter remains yet out of reach, even after two attempts. Well here is hoping that the third time will be the charm once Joanie is retrained and fortified.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 18 2023, 12:02 AM
Post #309

Paladin
Group Icon

A frustrating venture for Joan. Though tempted, adversity will not deter her.

Good call to visit a guild of mages where she can learn something like a levitate spell. That will certainly help her find her mummy. And hopefully this Bonebiter Bow.

Also good that she has an archer along to help with shooting and guiding.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Sep 22 2023, 01:25 AM
Post #310

Finder
Group Icon

Joan's showing a lot of wisdom here. True believer though she is, she's also been on Vvardenfell long enough to realize that people don't take kindly to outsiders who shows up and tells folks what to do. Deeds win more respect than words, and you need to fit in at least a bit. So off with the armor, and on with her second try.

Heh, I like how the Urshilaku fits in with the game, and also is realistic: a quick change of outfit won't fool anyone.

I like the scene here, with Zabamund palavering with Joan. Wonder if Joan's over-explaining. It's usually better to go simple, but she's not someone who feels comfortable concealing the truth. And that usually means over-explaining to make up for it.

It's also very in-character for Joan to distance herself from the prophecies. I wonder what she'll ultimately end up saying when Dagoth Ur asks her what she believes. I'm guessing she'll be for the Nine and the Empire.

One of the things I like about Morrowind is that so much of it is just learning how to rub elbows with the right people. Makes it feel very realistic. And that's exactly what I'm seeing here, as well.

Ah, and now Joan has to find the burial caverns. The directions aren't bad, exactly... but you really have to pay attention.

Nothing can make you homesick quite like the Ashlands. The endless gray and grit makes you want to be almost anywhere else. Also love how she's starting to really wonder about Caius's skooma "cover".

So she's stumbled upon a stronghold. Those can be dangerous places, though at least she's found one of the trainers crazy enough to live out in the middle of nowhere. And even better, Akin will guide her!

What's the O===}=o?

Oof, the flooded portions definitely make things trickier. Urshilaku Burial Cavern's definitely when the dungeon difficulty starts ramping up.

You know, I wonder if mummification would even work in a cave that's so moist?

Sigh, and now we have that other Morrowind classic: not having the spell/item you need, and having no choice but to leave and get it. It's a tough lesson, but everyone has to go through it. Sometimes (like me) more than once.
+Quote Post
macole
post Sep 23 2023, 06:51 AM
Post #311

Mouth
Group Icon

Joan asks the age-old question, “What am I doing here and why do I put up with these stiff-necked people?”

In frustration she looks up and says, ‘What? How did I miss that the first time?”

There’s a lot of that “how did I miss that” feeling in Morrrowind. It’s part of what makes Morrowind so great.

Oh, and best of luck with the new job.

This post has been edited by macole: Sep 23 2023, 06:53 AM

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 23 2023, 01:10 PM
Post #312

Councilor
Group Icon

Urk. Couldn't sleep too well last night, and it's not because of that. It was just random insomnia. Annoying creature. I could've drank some Nyquil or taken a homeopathic sleeping tablet, but the problem then is I'll sleep TOO much. sleep.gif I'll get the urge to sleep all damn morning. Next thing, it's 1 in the afternoon.

What's going on with Ophelia. Is she a hurricane? Doesn't seem so. Ah. Tropical storm. Seems like it. Wow, it's cold outside! .... Gonna need some coffee. Karen's still asleep. Gonna have to make my own, then. ☕ Yes dear.

"Nothing is easy in the Ashlands, starting with the people's names!"

Ha ha you got that right! You don't know how many times I've wondered how the heck to spell all these names and places and items correct, and have wound up going to UESP and just copy/pasting the darn things.

True, the easy path is the path most heavily-trodden, but thankfully our crusader won't be taking that path, otherwise there'd be nothing to write! Joan eventually does return to Cyrodiil just as the 4th Era begins, and somehow (in my imagination) she gets Battlehorn Castle. 🏰

"I can't remember if she had learned Levitate yet? It would certainly help here"

Nope, she has not. But you're definitely on the right train of thought. Have some sweetcake. cake.gif Yes. Sir?

"Good call to visit a guild of mages where she can learn something like a levitate spell. That will certainly help her find her mummy. And hopefully this Bonebiter Bow."

Aye, this definitely is a plan which has come to fruition, out of necessity. And here's a spoiler: Turns out she didn't even NEED the spell!!! blink.gif But now that she's got it, it's kind of cool to have. None of my others, even my mages, have picked up Levitation yet.

It is definitely fun having a good archer when you're playing a melee character. I'm assuming you've done the opposite sometimes. And I assume since it's Buffy's melee followers who've rushed ahead in your games that now Buffy was the one to have the choice to turn her followers into pincushions, not the other way around. tongue.gif

"I like the scene here, with Zabamund palavering with Joan. Wonder if Joan's over-explaining. It's usually better to go simple, but she's not someone who feels comfortable concealing the truth. And that usually means over-explaining to make up for it."

This. Very astute, Clav. I got the sense that Joan, being on her own and being put on-the-spot for a lot of this set of chapters, was suddenly grasping for ways to explain her presence in Ashland territory. She's not arrogant, nor is she ... um... irresponsible enough to proclaim herself as the prophet, come to save the world. So what else might she be thinking? How's she going to handle her sudden appearance in this semi-hostile camp?

.... not saying that for anyone who's played a character and done Morrowind's main quest that they're being arrogant or irresponsible if their character says "YES, I AM the Nerevarine!" ... I'm just saying that's how Joan would view such things.

Anyway, I think the storytelling for Chapter XLVII got a bit too wordy, sorry about that. Then again, those are exactly the things she was thinking as she spoke to the khans and Ashkhans and Gulakhans, so I'm glad to have captured it all.

"It's also very in-character for Joan to distance herself from the prophecies. I wonder what she'll ultimately end up saying when Dagoth Ur asks her what she believes. I'm guessing she'll be for the Nine and the Empire.

Oh gosh. We have the option to announce which believes we choose before the Big Boss? blink.gif Yikes!

That is quite true, your 'rubbing elbows' comment. It all begins literally with the very first guards and the Census Taker guy in the very first hour of the game if we're roleplaying. It's just amazing to me how in Morrowind it's so necessary to come up with other ways to progress the Main Quest. There's a real lack of combat or other physical approaches. In Oblivion we're dealing with fighting the red-robed cultists almost right away, for instance. Skyrim, we face a nasty dragon just outside of Whiterun. Assuming we get that keystone out of Bleak Falls Barrow and then present it to Whiterun's court, we're then prodded to fight the first dragon during the earliest hours of the game.

In MW, the idea isn't so much to beat anything up as it is to figure out other methods. At least that's how the MQ is so far, mostly.

"So she's stumbled upon a stronghold. Those can be dangerous places, though at least she's found one of the trainers crazy enough to live out in the middle of nowhere. And even better, Akin will guide her!"

That was a huge, golden stroke of Good Luck, that whole sequence. You're right. Those strongholds are nothing to get involved with, so it's fortuitous that Joan was able to meet somebody who was not just friendly, but also very capable to travel along with.

The O===}=o is supposed to be a mace! Which I used as a chapter break, basically. I'm about to draw some swords next time.

"There’s a lot of that “how did I miss that” feeling in Morrrowind. It’s part of what makes Morrowind so great."

Absolutely. For years, I've heard how great and how much 'better' Morrowind's Main Quest is from all those MW fanatics we used to get bombarded with in the official forums. I'm not agreeing that it's better (it's merely different) but it definitely is great in a way.

Thanks, Vampire Hunter! I did some training for my new job this week, and I'll officially begin first week of October.

dogmatic

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 23 2023, 02:11 PM
Post #313

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XLIX – Levitation

10 Rain's Hand (Day 238) to 15 Rain's Hand (Day 243), 3E 428

Why had the ancient Chimer, those early elves who'd founded what was to become Vvardenfell, placed all their corpses so far off the ground in this one set of burial crypts? Here was a question which could be answered perhaps by Tamriel's version of an anthropologist. Joan herself hadn't a clue, nor did she think anyone at the camp could give an adequate answer.

After journeying to Ald'ruhn's Guild of Mages, she sussed for a dealer who sold whatever particular magic she'd need to purchase. She knew she had several choices of spell-types, but did not know their official names.

"Have you any magics or potions or scrolls pertaining toward the ability to …ehm… float about?" she asked Guildmaster Edwinna awkwardly.

The guildmaster pointed her to Heem-La, who was perhaps Ald'ruhn's only Argonian, and the guild's resident Conjurer. Despicable magics, Joan thought. In her mind, conjuring equated toward trickery, you see. Conjuring was not for the likes of any respectable combatants (such as herself), who always fought face-to-face and fairly. The only practical use from the school of conjuring Joan possessed in her spellbook was the ability to turn undead.

Good thing was, Heem-La did have a few other spell-types in his book. "Is there something yoo need?" he rasped.

After Joan explained her situation, Heem-La offered her the ability to levitate.

"For just one-hundred drakes and fifteen, Heem-La can sell tha magic yoo need."

She could go to other merchants in other guilds or houses if she wanted something lesser; she could find potions or scrolls from other vendors, and buy the inferior Jump or Slowfall spells from them as well. But if she really wanted to expand her horizons fully, if she really wanted to be able to reach all those unexplored places up high, with full control at any time, she should really go for the best...

...problem was, her experience in the School of Alteration hadn't been so developed over the years, as she'd been in the habit of viewing Alteration as another form of 'trickery'....

...and this meant crafting a second, less potent version of Levitation from Heem-La (who was also the guild's spellmaker), so she could practice.

Her focus during school had been for exactly three spell types: she'd learned to heal herself when she was twelve, learned how to cast a light spell shortly thereafter, and when she turned fourteen had studied how to turn the undead which fostered underneath the Chapel of Arkay. Later on, as she reached the age when she could have joined the Legion, she studied a couple spells from the Destruction school. At this point (the age of sixteen) she wasn't sure if she wanted to become a Cleric or a Battlemage. Because of these odd, mid-teen choices, Joan was one of the few “holy warrior” types who also knew how to cast frost and fire-based spells.

Here in Vvardenfell at the age of 18, she learned her first true Alteration spell: Water-Walking. And this was solely so she could make her way to the remote island of Vas, to fight that dreadful necromancer.

So now, here she was again, spending just over a hundred coins so she could have the lizard scribe the spell ‘Wild Levitation’ into her book. “‘Tis a matter of necessity,” the holy knight said to herself later, as she cast and recast the practice version of this ‘trickery’, struggling as this magic fizzled half the time. “I sha’n’t get into the habit of using this …deceitful razzle-dazzle effect to avoid the adversaries along the roads."

Hmm. Only time would tell, Joan of Arkay, on that one.

After spending a couple days in Ald’ruhn she took the silt strider to Seyda Neen, and then walked to Ebonheart. Reason being, she needed compensation from the Imperial Cult, for a couple tasks done. It wasn’t like she was actually getting paid by the folks in Urshilaku after all! Any good adventuring types needed to take care of finances on their own, assuming they weren’t getting paid to do so! So...she had managed to collect enough bits of corkbulb for the cult’s healers, and had also disposed of a witch who’d been terrorizing an egg mine near the village of Khuul. Finances secured, she was ready to continue north to assist the Ashlanders.

Time ticking away, Joan felt as though she shouldn't dally about too much. Good thing was, it did not seem as though Ashkhan Sul-Matuul was in any sort of hurry to get his father’s precious bow back. It wasn't as though the elf had given her any sort of magical aids to further her search for the bow: no potions, no scrolls, no magic ring or amulet. He hadn't even mentioned any need to suss the caverns while floating in the air.

On the way out of Seyda Neen, Joan met an unusual sort of fellow who had something unexpected for sale. “For just two-hundred drakes, YOU can become the proud owner of your very own pack guar!” he promised.

So here was yet another reason why Joan of Arkay'd needed her influx of coin, for here was an offer too good to pass. After getting paid for her work in Ebonheart, she returned to Seyda Neen, where she spent most of the money she’d earned on her very own two-legged pack guar. As she walked her way north, from Seyda Neen to Hla Oad, from Caldera back to Ald’ruhn, Joan got to know her new animal well. The guar was well-trained.

She could command it to stay put or follow, fight for her or wallow. But most of all, the creature was great at doing one thing: carrying her belongings, a huge blessing she’d never would’ve guessed she’d ever need until the opportunity was here. All those scrolls and food and potions in her pack she wasn’t using, all the extra trinkets for sale and gold to trade with; her new pack guar could heft it, just like the horses and donkeys she’d seen back in Cyrodiil. With all that extra weight removed she could move about with greater vitality; her combat would become even more fluid and able, her agility to evade blows enhanced.

She named her new creature companion 'Tetra'.

--------------------------------------

Tetra the Pack Guar -- (thanks to whoever informed me about this mod)

One of Urshilaku's mummies

Joan and Tetra traveling

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 23 2023, 04:21 PM
Post #314

Ancient
Group Icon

Those dirty commie Conjurers! laugh.gif

Damn Joan, even Alteration is too socialist for you? Sheesh, this chick's hardcore.

OOh, she's got the wild version of the spell. I guess that means there is no telling how fast or slow she will be going when she uses it.

Tetra is definitely a cutie.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 23 2023, 08:26 PM
Post #315

Paladin
Group Icon

Buffy currently runs with a melee tank companion who frees up Buffy to focus on doing uninterrupted damage by keeping bosses out of Buffy’s face. The cost is keeping her tank healed but that is in Buffy’s nature anyway. And, fortunately, there is no friendly fire in ESO.

A successful retrofit, replete with levitation spell and pack guar to carry her burdens, Joan is ready to go bow hunting among mummies in high places once again. I’m guessing the bow hunt is more of a test of Joan’s worthiness than a burning desire to get the bow back.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Sep 30 2023, 02:32 AM
Post #316

Finder
Group Icon

Oops, didn't mean to spoil that bit. But yes, you do get to decide how much you (or your character) believes in the prophecy, which is a little detail that I just love. Like you say, Morrowind has a different approach from the other TES games in that a lot of it involves navigating the politics of the land. Definitely slower-paced, but I like that about it.

Ah, neat way to divide sections.

Huh, that is a good question. Why did the Chimer place mummified bodies so high up?

It makes sense for Joan to be suspicious of conjuration or anything else that smacks of Oblivion. Luckily, she won't need to dabble in that for this particular quest.

We've all felt the Jump/Slowfall temptation before, but it's better to just bite the bullet and find a way to levitate.

Hm, interesting that she's also distrustful of Alteration. Guess that fits her personality, though.

Neat background on Joan and how she got some of her magic skills.

Ha ha! Yeah, that's the problem of working for marginalized Ashlanders; while they may be more grateful for the help, and you can actually trust their word, it's hard to get by when they don't have much to pay you with.

Oh, neat! I know there are some mods that let you have pack guars. Getting one seems like a smart move on Joan's part, especially with how much stuff any self-respecting would-be Nerevarine would carry.

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 30 2023, 12:51 PM
Post #317

Councilor
Group Icon

I've hit a rather challenging spot with this story. Just had a look at UESP > Morrowind:Main Quest. Blurred my eyes so I don’t get any spoilers. And it looks as though I’m only about 1/3rd of the way through the MQ! Since I am planning to start writing Laprima again (let’s say some time around Thanksgiving), this means Joan’s story’s gonna end for the season, and I’ll continue with her prob’ly in May of 2024.

The reason this is challenging is this portion of Morrowind's main story gets really wordy with the dialog. There's a lot going on. And I feel like I want to capture some of it, but not ALL of it, know what I Mean? Because I don't wanna bore anybody. Anyway, we'll see.

@'Rosa: I know, right? Playing a goodie character, I tell ya. Sometimes I get the urge to write up Ana Khannda or one of my more EVIL people, just to balance the storytelling a bit. emot-ninja1.gif

But yeah, Tetra's really awesome to have around. I love being able to store all the extra gear Joan was carrying; it just makes organizing Joan's inventory so much easier, not to mention she walks/runs faster now!

@Paladin: I was thinking of Buffy / Oblivion, too. I know she was BFFs with Mazoga, right? Did they ever adventure together? If so, then you know what I'm saying. Mazoga rushes ahead during combat, and now Buffy's got the chance to fire her arrows without turning Mazoga into a pincushion. 🏹

It's a perspective I sometimes get while gaming with Lady Saga, basically combat becomes more challenging because if one of her tanks rushes into combat, the challenge then becomes not to hit them! - Good thing is, she's much more aware of friendly fire than any of the NPC archers.

Yes, you figured right. Getting that bow is more a test I think, than an actual requirement. It's not like any of the NPCs in Morrowind actually ever go anywhere! laugh.gif Most of them barely have any AI. Nissan only follows Joan due to the Supreme Follower System mod.

Clav: Hey, it's okay! I've been MQ-spoiled dozens of times by now after inadvertently reading old forum posts. In a way I'm alright with this, because I don't want to go up against Dagoth & his minions totally blind. I want to have some idea of what Joan's gonna need, this way we can sort of plan for the BIG moment while making the game feel like it's naturally moving forward. 👿

Our Acadian is an example of a gamer who prefers to be totally spoiled. He'll wait until any new game has been out for a while (and is fully patched) and then he'll read everything about the quests, and even play the game for a good while with sort-of test characters, this way he won't be floundering and blundering around. That is who Acadian is, if I'm not mistaken, he's the guy(s) who play the game before Buffy steps in.

I prefer blindness. But the advantage I have is my memory sucks. Chances are I might not even remember this whole religious choice dilemma when the moment draws near. Another advantage: sometimes I can do the same quests twice with different characters. The experience feels fresh, as long as I'm not doing these quests back-to-back with different ppl.

Yeah, I've always used 'interesting' chapter breaks. laugh.gif Laprima's story is quite subtle with the drawings and patterns. Let's take a moment to look at some of the breaks I've used for Kahreem and some of my other stories. Okay, here's a colorful (but tasteful) break to start with...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

MM kay, how about this one?

/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_

Yeesh, all those angles! Really trying to find something tacky, though. OOh, green and yellow...

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Arrgh!!! That really hurts the eyes! Like something you'd see on an acid trip. Okay, one more.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cool, I like that one. Looks kind of Native American. A lot of times I'll make these chapter break according to the season. I remember for Xmas one time I went all out with red & green Christmas bulbs! santa.gif

Regarding Alteration: I tapped into her thoughts, and yeah, she's got a reason why it's not a Major. Even shield spells are regarded as trickery in her mind. mellow.gif She's one of those warriors who prefers her own iron and steel for protection.

I forget who told me about Tetra. I thought it might be you, actually. But if it's not you then it's gotta be macole, maybe Lopov.

Next story, up in a few, on this chilly, dreary Saturday. Brr!!!!

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 30 2023, 01:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 30 2023, 02:29 PM
Post #318

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter L – Urshilaku Burial Caverns, part II

16 Rain's Hand (Day 244) to 17 Second Seed (Day 245) 3E 428

It was early morning here in Maar Gan. The crusader had spent a restful evening in the village's Andus Tradehouse, and was now preparing to head north. A breakfast of eggs and saltice, a few moments to stretch those muscles, and she was ready to go.

“Hey there, Tetra. Ready to go for walk?" Joan retrieved a handful of potions from one of Tetra's saddle-pouches, and added a couple food items for him to carry. "I do apologize, as it shall be another rather lengthy journey. The strider don’t go to Urshilaku Camp.”

“Ghrrr,” said the pack guar.

“Hmm. Might that be ‘aye’? Or ‘nay’?”

“Ghrrr,” said the pack guar.

“Hmph. So, that’s it, eh? All ya have to say: ‘ghrr’?”

The animal sidled up to his new owner. “Ghurrr,” he said, rubbing his enormous snout upon Joan’s shoulder.

“Ya know, you’d be surprised by this, but you’re already much more of a conversationalist than most of the folks I’ve traipsed with across this land. Just wait’ll I pick up with another Imperial soldier!” Joan of Arkay grinned. “Quite an unforthcoming crowd, that lot.”

The guar, even though he’d never understand the complexities of languages used by intelligent bipedal beings, all the pronouns, the verbs, the qualifiers, the adjectives and adverbs, the past participles, the difference between First person, Second Person, and Third person when referring to oneself and others during speech, the differences between past, present, and future, and so on, the creature seemed to pick up on his master’s humor. “Ghrr,” he said, bobbing his head up and down, perhaps acting out a person’s ability to laugh.

“Ha ha hey,” Joan said in a rare moment of humor. “Off we go to Urshilaku, then!”

“Ghurr.”

The pair walked north, leaving today from the Redoran burb of Maar Gan. Here, she’d made one grand, final purchase: an authentic Nordic-styled helmet made of iron, horns and all, which had a closed face. Joan wasn’t in the habit of wearing helms, as she preferred to be more aware of her surroundings as she travelled. But the reason for her new headgear: now when caught in a sudden, furious ash storm (and weren't they all sudden and furious?) she would no longer get dust in her eyes, and gritted within her hair! … When not wearing this admittedly silly helmet, it could simply hang from one of the hooks of Tetra’s saddle.

The forces of adversity? They had nothing against this adventurer.

<=======}--o

Ten hours later…
"Ah, you are back," Missun Akin said upon Joan’s return to the camp. “And who have we here? Looks as though you’ve got yourself a familiar.”

Back with the Ashlanders of Urslilaku, Joan Marie spent the rest of her coin to broaden her companion's assortment of things. He now possessed over a hundred arrows of bonemold, as well as the dozens of magical arrows they'd gathered up from Urshilaku's skeletons. Healing potions to be used when needed (although Joan could also heal the man up with a touch spell), as well as food, and a promise of grand amounts of gold to come.

How and when would this ‘grand amount of gold’ manifest itself? Well stick around, Sera Akin. Stick around, and see for yourself.

<=======}--o

Second Seed 18
Good thing was, they’d already explored Urshilaku's Astral Chamber so now they could skip it, which trimmed away multiple hours. Instead, they made a left when they came to the door which was semi-hidden over a small pond. They’d missed this door during their first delve. Inside the door was a second chamber: Karma Burial. And once inside of Karma, the crusader consulted her notes.

"Seems we are to choose the first left, and then inch our way upwards toward the next partition of Urshilaku, known as Laterus."

"Three blessings, sera," Missun Akin answered.

"Many thanks, we are perhaps going to need them."

Once inside of Laterus, Joan told the elf to continue following, just in case they’d need to dispatch any more skeletons. But as it turns out, Missun Akin, as gifted as he was while walking the overland, was horrid at subterranean exploring; at least in this portion of the cave. Immediately his feet slipped. Joan had a look back down the slope they’d been inching upon, only to see her associate floundering in the pool of water below.

So, Joan’s second idea was to have the marksman stay behind.

"Guard that door please, at which ye shall stand. Partially to deter any menaces from following through, and partially so that this spot remains marked. Urshilaku is quite cavernous. Easy to lose one’s place within." - Plus, there’d be no way he'll manage to attempt some of the feats I am hopefully to perform, she kept to herself.

"There is someone watching me," Missun grumbled, "I can tell."

"Perhaps. If so, I can probably handle my own from here. Perhaps, and probably. Overall, I do wonder if Sul-Matuul might be trying deliberately to prevaricate the situation. 'Tis one notion which shall certainly be ascertained."

The path wandered forward in two directions: she could venture toward the right, or she could walk up a narrow slope made of stone to their left. A pool of water bubbled just to the right. "Oh lords, please. If the Bonebiter Bow is located underwater, well, I shall quite detest that."

Instead she clambered up the slope, which (as mentioned) was very narrow. One wrong step, and she’d be soon be falling!

And here across the way was the first instance of a mummy, perched upon his ledge of rock like an eternal sentry. Problem is, this former mortal had been placed roughly thirty feet above the ground.

"Right. Here goes."

Joan gathered her thoughts and focused them upon the glyph she’d had inscribed within her spellbook. The glyph she visualized symbolized an ability to do an amazing thing: to float in midair. To levitate. By now she'd casted a practice version of this spell multiple times just before going to bed, in an effort to try improving its results. Still, she was not so great with Alteration yet.

Fortunately, her first attempt at the 'full' version of Levitation did not result in a fizzle. She focused her mind, raised her arms, cast the spell, and a dim hue of purple magic resulted beneath her feet. The spell had worked! – Now she could calmly make her way across the chasm before her, as easily as she could walk to the market to buy a cache of kwama eggs. Only catch was, she'd only have a half-minute to do this. So it was just like walking over water; she would need to count seconds in her mind as she floated around the cave, otherwise she'd find herself falling to the pond or (dreadfully…) to any rocks or stalagmites below.

IPB Image

Feeling a bit unsure, the Crusader from Cyrodiil stepped into thin air: one foot, and then the other. Trickery or not, here was something truly marvelous. She allowed herself a couple seconds to glance the treacherous landing below, and (lo!) found herself beginning to enjoy this new ability of hers. Now that she was actually using her new magic out here in the field she found herself glad she hadn't opted for temporary versions of it, via potions or scrolls.

The mummy was just in front of her, though. Time to walk toward him. Unfortunately, he did not harbor any bows upon his person, magical or otherwise, he only possessed the usual portions of bonemeal and ash salts; nothing she could use.

"Of course not. Because such would be too easy a venture," Joan muttered to the gauze-wrapped individual before her. "Would it not?"

She paced into the air for a bit: left, right, up and down, but saw no other mummies. So she gathered herself over the path she'd been on, three seconds shy of when the spell's effect ended, and her boots plopped themselves unceremoniously back onto stone. Joan continued up the curved path, ignoring a door on her left for now. Because it'd be a better idea to explore this entire chamber thoroughly, so she would not need to come back here with doubts, later on. Aye?

She continued up the path, all the way until she could continue no more. Overall she found a half-dozen additional mummies, all of them dwelling upon rockfaces. None of them harbored the ashkhan’s father's bow. “Because such would be too straightforward a venture.” … Though all of her spell-attempts were successful (there was not one fizzle!), each time she used Levitation meant just over half her mana was gone. Levitating again meant drinking a potion, so good thing she'd filched twenty of these for free from the two guilds she’d visited.

Another option was to rest, but regaining mana in this way took hours. And what was poor Missun to do during all this time?

So for now, she drank the potions. How many mummies could there be in this place? It wasn't like there were hundreds, or even dozens, inside Laterus Burial Crypt.

...Her answer came as she continued toward the top of the tall, cylindrical chamber. Three more doors she could traipse through. Let us peruse a summary, now.

Fragile Burial: This lowest additional section yielded four mummies. No Bonebiter Bow, but there were a few other magical items and trinkets placed with two of them. Joan felt the temptation to take an axe which dealt fire damage (useful against undead!) but then decided to leave it. These items had been placed to aid the dead during their afterlife journeys; looting was considered a big no-no in crypts.

Kefka Burial & Kakuna Burial: more of the same, although most of the mummies in this set of chambers had been placed closer to the ground.

Finally in Juno Burial, Joan encountered an enemy she'd never seen before: a wraith! This entity was similar to the ancestral ghosts she'd dealt with in a few of the sacred tombs she’d visited, but the wraith wielded more vigorous magic, and also possessed what seemed to be more un-health. Its presence was dark, much more menacing than the glowing ghosts she'd encountered, here in Vvardenfell and back home in the Chapel of Arkay's undercroft.

The entity moaned and seethed, casting occasional cursing-type spells. Fortunately, Joan's power of will had been increasing over many months by now. She could bear the wraith's magics upon her person without much damage to her own quality of being.

Within a minute of bashing it with her magical weapon (occasionally throwing a ball of holy flames), the spirit was banished.

And lo! Here was the Bonebiter Bow, contained within the wraith's essence. Since the menace had attacked her, Joan felt as though she was safe to loot the large pile of ectoplasm which plopped to the ground. So as it turns out, the bow was NOT located with one of the crypt's mummies; she hadn't needed to become proficient at Levitation at all!

Upon return to the camp some of the Ashlanders were still a bit miffed about the Breton who'd arrived to their home, and wasn't going away.

"I don't have a lot of patience for questions, outlander!" This was said by the first Dunmer Joan had met, the one who'd taken her egg.

"Outlander, what do you want?" a fellow asked more cordially.

All that mattered by now was the ashkhan himself, and thankfully, the ashkhan was pleased. "This is my father's Bonebiter Bow," Sul-Matuul said after Joan entered his yurt. "I hereby name you, Joan of Arkay, Clanfriend of the Ashlanders."

The ashkhan invited Joan to keep the bow, but things were not going to happen this way. Firstly, Joan was not an archer, and secondly, the weapon deserved to be with its family. After all the tribulations she’d gone through, she felt it more proper to leave the stringed weapon with Sul-Matuul himself, and would not take nay for an answer.

IPB Image

"And now I fulfill my other promise," he said. "Go to the wise woman's yurt, and Nibani Macsa shall examine you, to test you against the Nerevarine prophecies." Joan was about to protest against this proclamation, until the ashkhan continued.

"Now that you are a Clanfriend," he began, "I want to speak plainly. I find it hard to believe that you are the Nerevarine."

Never did I state that I am, Joan thought, but decided not to speak.

"You are an outlander, but the Nerevarine comes to drive all outlanders from Morrowind," Sul-Matuul said thoughtfully. "How could an outlander be the Incarnate?"

Joan, recent inductee of the aedric being known to the Imperials as Arkay, kept her mouth shut for a moment, trying to think of a pertinent reply, almost envious that she couldn't give one of the monosyllabic answers of her pack guar.

"Ghrr," she finally said.

-------------------------------------------

Karma Burial Mushroom Jump Area - (Reminds me of all those Mario Bros. games)

Close-up detail of a Tomb -- indifferent.gif

Joan embraces the Trickery

Approaching a Mummy

Fighting a Skellie

"You have ascended to Level 20!"

Return to Urshilaky Camp

-----------------------

Notes: It's not mentioned, but that wraith was Sul-Matuul's father. Joan chose not to mention she'd just pwned Sul's dad's spirit to the Ashkhan himself.

Also, I am noticing that in the initial chambers, all the mummies were placed off the ground. In Juno Burial (where the wraith of Sul's father was located) they were placed just above the floor. It's as if in the earlier chambers, here the Chimer, the earlier elves, had gone all-out for making their dead inaccessible. In the later chambers, those of Sul-Matuul's father, for instance, these mummies were placed without all that extra trouble.

It's a rather small archeological detail some dev at Bethesda seemed to consider. ⛏

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 30 2023, 04:15 PM
Post #319

Ancient
Group Icon

Maybe Joan should have named her pack guar Ghrrr instead of Tetra? wink.gif

I like your sword text dividers.

It is a good thing that was water below, and not lava like some caves have.

And Joanie has to forge on alone. Perhaps she has outgrown the need for such hirelings altogether?

It seems that she is taking care of business quite handily, including a wraith!

And it turned out that she had not needed Levitation after all! Well, I am sure it will come in handy, and in fact be necessary, in the future however. At least Joanie appears to have gotten over some of her stigma for Alteration magic in the process.

So success and back to a still-dubious khan. But at least he is holding up his end of the bargain, and now Joan can continue on with her actual mission.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 30 2023, 07:35 PM
Post #320

Paladin
Group Icon

Levitation was well-worth the expense, effort, potions and practice as a new tool in Joan's kit. And she returns the ectoslime-covered bow.

I think it was wise of Joan to hold her tongue at this point as doubts were being expressed as to her Neriveranesqueness. After all, she harbors the same doubts and likely has no interest in the title or role. Actually, Grrr was probably even a better response than silence. Her guar has taught her well!

Thanks for letting us know your plans regarding Joan and Laprima. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:55 AM