Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Per Aspera Ad Astra: Through Hardships To The Stars, A Story of Trials, Faith & Dreams
Darkness Eternal
post Aug 22 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

I’d like to thank everyone for sticking around and taking the time to read my stories, even perhaps as a sense of obligation perhaps. I’ve decided to stop writing. Thank you all so much for reading (the few that did). It was fun and adventurous and I had an amazing time writing them.

I don’t want to leave the ending of these stories left to imagination. I suppose I owe you guys more than that. mALX and Acadian have been here since the beginning and I thank you two especially for providing amazing feedback! I won’t finish these stories but I already had an ending written for each of them, including a planned Order Vampyrum: Daughter of Coldharbour tale. Here are the summaries and endings of each story.

Blood Coin: Upon being taken by the Reachmen, Vera plans her survival and assassination of the Hagraven. Being moon-born isn’t enough for the barbarians, and to test her loyalty to them Vera chases down the Legion soldiers in a ceremonial hunt for sport through the unpredictable terrain of the Reach.
Arnskar is felled by Vera’s arrows, as the others. Vera returns to the Reachmen camp and officially becomes a member of the clan. Her membership is short-lived as she saves Maccius from his fate and kills the hagraven. As she and Maccius flee, the Glenmoril witch that tasked her with this quest opens a portal to her lair deep in the mountains of the Pale Region.

Maccius discovers Vera’s true intentions: in exchange for the hagraven’s head she is to receive back her Daedric dagger, an artifact from Hircine said to claim the souls of all those killed by its edge, in hopes of taking the souls of the men who had betrayed her. Maccius tells her of the psychological and moral ramifications, though Vera ignores his warnings.

The Glenmoril witch hands Vera the dagger, and the young huntress his given a terrifying vision of all those claimed by the blade. Vera is dissuaded and leaves for Winterhold with Maccius in search for Eveline. Vera is given news that infuriates her: Eveline left for Falkeath several weeks prior with Astien, whom Vera believed dead.

Maccius the healer invites Vera to the home of his Nord grandparents in Falkreath, old warriors who have settled for a quiet life. Vera is given valuable wisdom and is warned about the beast that dwells inside her: her thirst for revenge.

Vera ultimately saves the locals from the criminal elements she’s been hunting, and returns to Cyrodiil where she is paid handsomely by Imperial nobleman Draken Decumus. Vera leaves behind her notions for bloody retribution and seeks a quiet life. She confesses to Eveline about her father's murder and eveline in the end forgives Vera. Story ends with Vera waking up in the wilderness to find another werewolf: Lycus.

Per Aspera Ad Astra: Lycus meets Vera a second time, and the two become great yet reluctant allies. Lycus is pulled back into the gladiator life and is lured by its financial promises for the sole reason to give his family a better life. Lycus encounters gangsters, threats who bring up his past as a slave to haunt him, and many other dangers.

Along the way Lycus also encounters Lashun who is living lavishly in a villa by Skingrad, and discovers a cult of Sanguine operating near Leyawiin where he and Shavaash are transported through realms of Oblivion in a comical and whimsical side-adventure mirroring the quest “A Night To Remember.”
The story ultimately ends with Lycus and his father reconciling, Vera leaving behind her murderous ways and making peace with her sister’s summoned ghost. Epilogue is far into the future and we see Lycus and Vera with children and also the promise of a new threat: The Vigilantes of Stendarr.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Jul 6 2018, 02:19 AM

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 23 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

I’m so happy you are continuing Lycus’ saga!

This was a perfect return to the Imperial City, from where he was snatched off on a journey through slavery, the fighting pits and Oblivion. Since this is a new book, you’ve applied just the right touch of reminding us about Lycus’ past and his friend Shavaash.

Though this is just the intro, it already feels uplifting and I can feel how full of hope Lycus is. Since he is not shy about sharing his feelings with us, I think your choice of first person is a good one.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 23 2017, 06:01 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

Damn. See, this is why I wish I'd joined Chorrol long ago, back when a friend told me about the place. I have no idea what Lycus's tale is about, and feel like I'm coming at this tale from behind. biggrin.gif Oh well.

I'm assuming they've moored up at the Waterfront? Hope I got that right.

+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Aug 29 2017, 03:05 AM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for reading.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Jul 6 2018, 02:20 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Aug 29 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #5

Agent

A new saga in Lycus's story??? I'll take it! Sorry I am so late to the party I was out of town and missed what was happening lol.

As Acadian pointed out, just the first chapter had a much joyous and light tone to it than Lycus's previous stories. I like it, it will be nice to see his story told this way, and from first person.

Seeing Lycus and Shavaash go their separate ways is bittersweet and does not surprise me that it tugs at Lycus's heartstrings. They have been through so much and have finally reached their goal and get to embark on a new life. Of course it wouldn't be Shavaash without giving out words of wisdom and warning Lycus about his condition to make sure he keeps it in check.

I can't wait to see what happens next, and what this family reunion will be like. Will his mother still be alive? Will she not believe him? How will his father react? Can't wait to find out.

--------------------
My first short story - "A Thief's Ascension"
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 29 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #6

Paladin
Group Icon

Gosh, much to love here!

Your description of Sabani was delightful – she quite stole the show and freedom suits her as nicely as it suits a freed butterfly.

Though a sad farewell between Lycus and Shavaash, anytime two warrriors part and both are in good health & spirits, it is a good farewell. That both are still alive shows their ability to soundly beat the odds.

There is a true sense of anticipation emanating from Lycus as he is now on the final short leg to his rural homestead. Though too early to tell, he seems to have a healthy and balanced attitude regarding what he may – or may not – find.

I’m pleased to see your episode length discipline seems to be improving with this new book. Indeed, shorter episodes encourage savoring methinks. You may also want to resume preceding each episode with a very brief ‘in our previous episode’ sentence or two. Oh, and an elegantly effective approach in your intro to mention and provide a link to a wonderful summary of Lycus' previous book.

Lycus’ story continues to be a pleasure to read and I am enjoying this new one. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 4 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for reading.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 4 2017, 08:12 PM
Post #8

Paladin
Group Icon

’… look at the muscles on you!” tongue.gif

There’s really no good way of breaking the news of Lycus’ return. That was made even harder by the belief that some poor slaughterfish-eaten wretch had washed ashore with such timing that he was presumed to be the recently missing Kraven.

It does seem that his mother absolutely recognizes him though and I do hope they enjoy a welcome reunion.

Initially, the farmstead gives the impression of not being in crisis and having survived. I’m still nervous about that though.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 7 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow, that's so wild. I just put the title of this 'fic into a translator site. I was guessing "Per Aspera Ad Astra" is Latin, and it is. biggrin.gif

Part 2: Aw. Lycus so sad about departing from the Khajiit.

The part when Shavaash says "I don't want to hear rumors about missing villagers and dead livestock." What's that about? I mean, I know what's implied here, I'm just wondering how extensively Lycus participated in such activities.

-----

Part 3:

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 7 2017, 04:04 PM
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Sep 7 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #10

Agent

You wrote the reunion between Lycus and his mother about as perfect as you could get it. His anticipation, her disbelief and automatically assuming this person is pretending to be her son as a sick joke, and finally her revelation that this truly is her son. As my mother always says she would be able to tell I was her son even if she didn't see me for 10 years. Great chapter, and now we have to see how Lycus's father reacts to this.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 11 2017, 01:00 AM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for reading.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 11 2017, 02:59 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

Parts III & IV: Finally caught up. Wow. His mother didn't even recognize him, probably because of all his hair & muscles, huh? And father kind of scared me. I was actually relieved when he softened up at the end.

And it makes me wonder if Lycus is going to do anything about this marauder problem. viking.gif I mean granted, I don't know the fellow at all of course, but the implication is definitely there. I hope he kicks some marauder ass!

I could be way off though. Maybe he's not about that at all.

+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Sep 11 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #13

Agent

Whoa, wasn't expecting Alessia to just lose it like that, but I guess it makes sense given the circumstances, how many people have their son disappear for 4 years and then return looking like a completely different person?

And now Kerstus is back, and I can't wait to see how he reacts, just from his initial reaction he seems to be a new man, and in disbelief that his son is alive. But I get the feeling he will be happy and more loving then before.

I also think Lycus will help solve this marauder problem.... perhaps sooner than we think depending on the lunar cycle...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 11 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #14

Paladin
Group Icon

Tiber! Woot! I had almost forgotten about him. What a fitting companion for Lycus he will be now.

I expect Lycus will find a way to share some of his experiences with his parents to help them fill the void that is now full of questions. Yet, I’m sure he won’t share everything with them.

I am pleased that, at least initially, the reunion with his father is going okay.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 13 2017, 12:23 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

=1=
Home

I can't believe he is finally seeing Cyrodiil again! I have waited years with him for this moment, and it is finally here! How hard it must have been to write his first glimpse of Cyrodiil! Did you tear up writing it? I am not ashamed to say, I teared up reading it. Awesome Write!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 19 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for reading.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Jul 6 2018, 02:21 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 19 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #17

Paladin
Group Icon

Oh my. Lycus handles this tentatively promising reunion with the aplomb of a minotaur in a crystal shoppe. ohmy.gif

He does make his point, but then seems unable to stop himself from almost intentionally trying to sabotage things. There comes a point where overly thrashing his mother’s earnestly apologetic husband does not elevate his mother. Nor does a strained reunion between husband and son. I think even he realizes that a touch of grace and forgiveness is called for here. It is just that his history and nature make that difficult for him.

Interesting what he chose to tell – and not tell – his family.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 20 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

=2=
~Home~

This is a huge quote, but I didn't want to miss any of it:

I laughed and tapped the sword at my side. “After the things we’ve faced you’re telling me to be careful? I don’t think the guards will be looking for any of us.”

“You know well what I’m talking about.” Shavaash said to me. His face, usually so impassive, was blotched with distress. “I don’t want to hear rumors about missing villagers and dead livestock.”

“Don’t worry about me,” I told him. I had for a moment the oddest stir of concern, a flutter in my chest. Then it vanished. “I can find a way to put it under control—maybe. Perhaps—” I broke off.

Shavaash was never one to pull punches, and he doesn't here either. I'm glad he took this one possibly last moment with Kraven to address what he had seen and learned about him. This was the first and only confrontation on it, but you could tell that it bothered Shavaash right from the moment he first learned of it.

I am so glad you wrote this here; before they parted ways. I noticed when Sabani was wanting Kraven to join them that Shavaash wasn't joining in with his; and that shows that (despite his close friendship and love for Kraven, he also fears that side of him that is beastial). By speaking up here, it cut through Kraven's giddiness and plunked reality down on him.

He does have to be careful; he does have to control that side of him now. He is going to be living amongst the civilized now, not as a slave in chains. It is important that he keep that other side in mind now that he is not living in Hircine's Realm where everything was okay because the only law was survival. The last thing he needs to do is come to Cyrodiil and let his inner beast come out and run rampant, lol.

You wrote this scene so well that both men's thoughts could be felt with them, Awesome job you did on this! And I'm glad you didn't let that ball drop on how Shavaash felt, didn't let them part without him speaking his mind on that (as so many other writers might have). Just plain Awesome write!

My happiness, my bliss, was quite simple in origin: I was alive. I was alive and home instead of being a moving target on Morrowind, or in the middle of combat praying for one more day of life in the heated cauldron of a battle without end—what a miracle, what a gift! So many times, only months before, death had seemed such a certainty that my very aliveness became a recurrent marvel.

So well written, we are def feeling this with Kraven! Fantastic Write, I am so excited by Kraven finally being in Cyrodiil !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 20 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

=3=
~Home~

I was really having trouble understanding how the carriage driver (and his nosiness) was an important part of this story, but I get the bad feeling that we have not seen the last of him in this segment of Kraven's story. The dogs' reactions were either to Kraven or the driver, and since the driver knew to get down from the cart = I'd say they were for him.

But enough about that = to the moment I've waited for all these years:

I said nothing as I watched her there. I dared not move lest I wanted to startle her into fleeing. In the stillness the sky howled and raged as tumultuous storm pitched in the firmament between Aetherius and Oblivion. We never ceased looking at each other. At last I spoke, my voice came pained and laborious and with a sort of faint gurgle or croak, like a frog’s. “Mother . . . It's me.”

Her eyes ran the entirety of my body. She tottered and raised her twitching fingers to her face, running her fingers nervously over her lips in utter shock beyond comprehension. She shrank from me not through any threat or fear but because in this new form I had, that of a stranger, unpredictable and un-son-like, a freak. And at that instant, in that outlandish behavior that cowed her, she fell to her knees on the floor in front of me and crooked her arm around my waist, pulling me close and looking up. She stared up at me. “My son . . .”

She pressed her head against my stomach and wrapped her arms around me. The impetuous, almost savage, embrace—her furious gust of emotion—took me off guard and made me give an inward groan. Kneeling, she clung to me as a drowning woman would, and for long seconds I felt as if she might pull me down; but then I stood my ground and beheld her pain and surprise.

“How?” she blurted, too loud, “How? Gods how? How!?” And once more she grasped me tightly.

Numb with despair, I could say nothing.

“I have missed you. So much . . .” I faltered and fell silent.

“This isn’t possible! Gods . . . my son . . . you’re here. You’re alive!” She gripped me hurtfully, weeping and wailing.

I was seized by a hot convulsive emotion that I had never known so powerfully before—it was like a roaring in my ears. For what I had seen on this woman’s face was relief and sadness—relief and sadness wrenched from the very depths of her soul—and the sight of that, the vision of that tender self so reduced to this helpless state of sobs and bloodless clenched knuckles and scalding tears, caused me an irresistible, flooding moment of desire. To embrace her back.

And I did.

The whole chapter should be quoted for your fantastic descriptive writing; but this scene was so long awaited; so well written; so emotional - just plain AWESOME culmination to all those years of wanting to see Kraven reach his Mother's side again! HUGE Write !!!!

=4=
~Home~

BWAAAAAAH! This reunion is so touching! I think he is going to have to tell them some of what happened, isn't he?

And oh, I had forgotten about the gold - obviously so did Kraven, or he wouldn't have left it outside all night, lol.

Awesome write !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 20 2017, 06:29 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

=5=
~Family~

Kraven's Father is no longer the brute of the family = Kraven is the brute now. He is the one drinking and bringing home anger to tear up the peace of the house. He is angry at his Father for doing that years ago, but he is doing it now. Will his mother never have the peace she deserves? I'll bet Kraven flipping that table and wasting food that is obviously precious to them right now just reminded her of the pain of what she endured in the past, it didn't/wouldn't make her feel better to see the man confronted for his crimes years later when he had long since changed his ways.

Urgh, Kraven! Stop fighting, and learn when the battle is over! And his Father was so obviously overjoyed to see him, too. verysad.gif

Really great write, I just hoped that his coming home and all he has been through would have given him at least a few minutes of peace to be happy he was back and put away the anger for another time. And he is still blaming others for his being shoved onto that ship to Morrowind instead of realizing it was his own hubris, his own mouth running and arrogant attitude that caused that. He may have been there trying to get money because of his Father's not taking care of business, but that isn't what got him thrown on that boat.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th November 2019 - 07:30 PM