Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 4, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
MyCat
post Mar 29 2011, 03:47 AM
Post #81

Evoker

Speaking from a position of authority I'd say that cats don't like bags, except for the paper ones that make that scritchy sound. biggrin.gif

In my games Alawen has always ventured too close to that Oblivion gate by the water. Too bad, she would have been a great archery tutor. blink.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post Mar 29 2011, 05:42 AM
Post #82

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 25 2011, 08:54 AM) *

The paladin shared my cheerful mood, and his words went unnoticed in the crowd, "If you save us too much more, we'll be broke."

"Another such victory and I will be undone." (Ἂν ἔτι μίαν μάχην νικήσωμεν, ἀπολώλαμεν)
-Pyrrhus of Epirus, the source of the term "Pyrrhic Victory."

I took Greek and Latin for my foreign language in college, so seeing an updated version of a quote from the era gets to me. I have a feeling that it's the paladin that understands this concept more than the bowgirl.

Interesting things come up about Daenlin. And we meet another Bosmeri bow user here to compete, this one from Anvil.

And yes, I put those next to each other for a reason. Fore-shadowing!

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 31 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #83

Paladin
Group Icon

In Episode 91, Buffy learned a little more about the old rivalry between Daenlin and Reman Broder. A will-o-the-wisp encounter on the way to some archery practice, gave her the opportunity to demonstrate for her master a tactic she had developed in her travels involving high/low trajectory. Later that morning, while riding Superian, Buffy met a newly arriving contestant for the tournament - a ranger from Anvil named Alawen.

Ceidwad- Thank you! Our hope with the flashback was to echo Buffy's long held desire that Daenlin be proud of her. We're hoping to assemble quite the motley crew of shooters.

Rider- It was your kind enthusiasm at exactly this point during 1.0 that prompted us to weave in the quest associated with Bawnwatch Camp. Thank you!

Grits- I'm afraid it was the late City Swimmer that taught Buffy to bat her eyelashes; that probably explains why she had to learn illusion to ever get her way! Hopefully, someday she will meet a better eyelashes instructor. Buffy adores being with Daenlin, and I am so pleased you like their interaction. She does get her money's worth out of that bergamot!

mALX- Thank you so much for those kind words! I too, love the comfortable affection and history between Daenlin and Buffy. To you and others who mentioned the screenies, thank you.

Rihanae- Buffy is a simple elf with a simple story but, by Mara, she surely does love to share her world. To suggest that her stories are immersive, is music to our ears. Thank you.

King Coin- Thanks on the screenies! Aravi does really well - she is very adept at sidestepping spells and shooting quickly. As Aravi begins to use enchanted weaponry, she will be unbeatable! Oh, and she can use a sword!

Destri- I agree that Deanlin's eye is sharp enough that he now must believe Buffy pulled a shot during quals. Buffy is likely to be guilty of continuing to over think and over complicate the simple joy of shooting her best. It seems there is still more for Daenlin to teach his apprentice.

SubRosa- Thank you for so ably clarifying the camps and their locations. Being skittish does indeed seem to be a common trait among wood elven lasses! Buffy, of course, has believed for all her life that Daenlin is the greatest archer to ever walk Nirn. She wants desperately to believe her own words that no one could ever match his skill - even as part of her understands what Deanlin already knows.

TK- Thank you. In looking at all the fine in-game archers, Alawen certainly seems like a natural to be drawn to the tourney. I'm so pleased you're intrigued by the revelation of some of Daenlin's history.

MyCat- Alawen is one of those danger-prone NPCs (like Mazoga) that it would break my heart to lose. The unofficial oblivion patch (for PC users) renders her essential until she first agrees to train the player. If that status changes in our game, we change her back to essential. Thanks for reading!

Captain Hammer- Thanks for the historical insight and kind words about Buffy and Acadian's exchange on saving money.

92 The Tournament of Archers, Part 8- The Bookie and the Assassin

"Buffy!"

Pausing just outside Nilawen's store, my head snapped toward the voice and looked up to see its bare-chested author. To say he was large would have been redundant, as orcs didn't seem to come in any other size. "It's great to see you again, Lum." I remembered we had pulled arrows for each other behind the Fighters Guild in Chorrol during my last visit there. "Are you here for the tourney?"

"Sure am." Lum gro-Baroth curled his lip into what Mazoga had taught me was an orcish smile. "My brother, Kurz, is here too, though he's spending more time in the taverns than on the shooting range."

"Well, I see you still don't own a shirt," I said.

"Nah. Shirts are for ponces, and womenfolk."

"I'm so glad I meet your requirements to wear one," I replied with a smile. "Oh, by the way, welcome to Bravil. Are you and Kurz staying at the Fighters Guild during your visit?"

"Yeah," Lum then lowered his voice and leaned closer, "but, I'm glad I'm not in the Bravil chapter. The guild commander they got here is crazy. It's like the guy is running a Legion training camp. I heard that not too long ago he had some stringy wood elf who wanted to join the guild out back by the targets. Yelling in her ear while she was trying to shoot, he was. Apparently, the little red head managed to keep her cool and went right on hitting the target." The muscular green fighter flashed his tusks ominously then drove his right fist into an open left hand with a loud smack. "I'd have opened a bag of whoopass on him if he tried that with me."

"So you would have gotten distracted and not hit the target, right?" I teased.

Lum opened his mouth, then closed it and scratched under his headband with a thick finger. The orc then smiled sheepishly and said, "Well, maybe you got a point." He jerked a thumb over his shoulder toward the sun, now just above the city walls. "I'd better go shoot some holes in one of them targets myself while there's still a little daylight left. Several of us fighters are going to try our hand at qualifying in the morning."

"Good luck, Lum." I watched as he headed for the training area behind the Fighters Guild. I didn't know the commander of the guild well, but I knew something about training under pressure.

"Faster, Buffy!" my University advisor commanded sternly. "I want to see magicka forming in your hand even as you release that arrow. Shoot, then cast. Again!"

"Boderi," I whined, "my head, shoulders, hands and fingers hurt. We've been chasing arrows with spells all morning!"

"Is that what you're going to tell a charging ogre?" the Dunmer snapped in my ear. "Not now, I have a headache? Your little butterfly butt can only take about one hit from such a beast. I don't care if you hurt, I want you to survive. Now shoot, Apprentice!"

Allowing a smile to dispel the image, I turned and entered The Fair Deal.

"Hi, Nilawen, how's business?" I said cheerfully.

"Oh, Buffy, you wouldn't believe how busy it's been." The pleasant Bosmer blew loose strands of black hair from her face. "This is the first break I've had all day. Long hours, but the gold's good with so many people in town for the tournament. What can I get for you, dear?"

"Well, I'll be home for a week or so until I get recalled to the University, so I need quite a few staples. You know, bread, flour, salt, tea and such." I pulled a folded piece of parchment from the inside pocket of my suede vest. "Here, I have a list."

The Bosmer wiped both hands on her apron, took the list and studied it briefly. "No problem here. I have all that in stock."

"Um, Nilawen?" I said sheepishly.

She paused, with a sack of flour on its way to the empty bag she was starting to fill for me. Tilting her head pleasantly, she replied, "Yes?"

"The thing is, I saw this beautiful piece of armor today and, well, I just had to have it." I held up my coin purse and shook the few lonely coins it contained. "Tonight, I'm going to mix up a batch of potions. After selling them to Ardaline tomorrow, I'm sure I'll have enough gold. Could you maybe hold things for me until then?"

"Don't be ridiculous, Buffy. Take the items now and just pop back in when you get a few septims." She continued filling the bag for me.

"Thanks, Nilawen." I noticed Nordinor and Aradroth were seated at a corner table talking quietly. Tilting my head toward them, I raised an eyebrow at Nilawen.

"Oh, those two." The merchant shook her head but smiled. "Nordinor has it in his mind that he's going to manage bets on the tournament. He's been trying to talk Aradroth into helping him."

"A bookie?" I giggled as I turned toward the pair and raised my voice. "So Nordinor, who's favored to win?"

Nordinor looked up from the scraps of parchment covering the table the pair of elves shared. He replied, "Well, Daenlin right now, but we still have two more days of qualification rounds before we know who the ten finalists will be."

"And Aradroth?" I frowned as I looked at the elf in black who comfortably slouched in a chair with his back to the wall. It was not lost on me that his potent weaponry was within easy arm's reach. "I hope you're not the bookie's muscle."

The assassin pierced me with his gray eyes but said pleasantly enough, "Like Nilawen, you cluck and worry too much. I'm merely advising Nordinor." The small elf then glanced at his nearby bow. "Remember, I'll be trying to qualify as well, and it wouldn't do for me to be overtly involved in the bookmaking end of things, now would it?"

"Buffy," Nordinor said, "I know bookmaking and Aradroth knows archery. He's my subject matter expert. We're running a legitimate operation here. Why, I've even obtained a permit from the castle signed by the Count himself." The Bosmer puffed up in jest. "I'll have you know, I'm as official as my good friend Hundolin, who runs book for the Arena."

"Why Nordinor," I said, "I never would have believed you to cut Count Terentius in on one of your enterprises. What kind of a take does his pompousness require?"

"Twenty per cent, but not to worry," Nordinor replied smugly, "I'll get that back. The Count is too deeply into his cups and debauchery to notice that he indirectly funds a good portion of my other-"

"That's quite enough, Nordinor," Nilawen interrupted sternly. "Just because Buffy knows how to keep her mouth shut, doesn't mean you need to blather on about your shady enterprises. I'm sure she's as well aware of them as I am." Wagging a finger at Nordinor, she continued, "Every time a guard comes in here, I'm tempted to turn you in, but I bite my tongue because you pay the rent for your room on time. Buffy doesn't need you to rub her face in the fact that, like me, she doesn't turn you in."

Nordinor blinked, and said seriously, "You're right of course, Nilawen." He then produced a wide smile, as if to change the mood and added, "Buffy, I assure you that all my illegal activities are perfectly legitimate."

Nordinor and I laughed, Nilawen chuckled and even Aradroth let slide a sly smile.

* From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 31 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #84

Master
Group Icon

Lots to love here.

"Nah. Shirts are for ponces, and womenfolk."

"I'm so glad I meet your requirements to wear one,"
Though a few men would argue otherwise (that shirts are for wimmenfolk).

Loved Lum's complaints about the Bravil guild commander. Hmm, he does sound quite familiar, as does the redhead Lum mentioned. Gee, I wonder why?

Boderi," I whined, "my head, shoulders, hands and fingers hurt. We've been chasing arrows with spells all morning!"

"Is that what you're going to tell a charging ogre?" the Dunmer snapped in my ear. "Not now, I have a headache?
Julian the pilus is chuckling at this exchange. How many times has she participated in both ends of this dialogue?

even Aradroth let slide a sly smile.
I think this is the standout line in the whole post for me. If there is any one left who doubts Aradroth's true nature, this has got to enlighten them! What a way to sum up an entire personality in a few words! And aren't you verging a bit on alliteration here? Purposely, I'm sure, and it's quite effective in this context. goodjob.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
saqin
post Mar 31 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #85

Agent

"Buffy, I assure you that all my illegal activities are perfectly legitimate."

Oh I absolutely loved that line. You're really good at giving all the people in your story character. The interactions with Aradroth were a lot of fun as well, but I wonder what Daenlin would think if Buffy deliberately got a smaller score than him in the finals...

--------------------
I no longer use this acoount since I can't do anything with it. New username: Saquira
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 31 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #86

Mouth
Group Icon

I see Teresa has been around town within the last few days. Good to see she is holding up well. It was also quite nice for you to briefly flash back to Buffy's University training when she heard.

Just because Buffy knows how to keep her mouth shut, doesn't mean you need to blather on about your shady enterprises.
Really, Nilawen? Do you have any idea how ridiculous it is to use "Buffy" and "mouth shut" in the same sentence? biggrin.gif tongue.gif

I wonder how far things will go with our perfectly illegally legitimate Nordinor? Considering His holiness Regulus "Empty Bottle" Terentius is in on the deal, I don't think things will end well here.

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 31 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #87

Councilor
Group Icon

To say he was large would have been redundant, as orcs didn't seem to come in any other size.

A nice addition to the description, pokes fun at the game's limitations at the same time as helping the story along.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 31 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #88

Ancient
Group Icon

To say he was large would have been redundant, as orcs didn't seem to come in any other size.
This was a wonderfully light way to tell us that not only Lum was large, but also an orc.

Hmmm, I wonder who that red-headed archeress at the FG was? wink.gif

The flashback of Boderi's training was perfectly positioned following the exchange with Lum. It reveals not only some of Buffy's background, but also how she came by the wisdom of her words to Lum. Not to mention a bit of empathy for the FG guild commander who trains his people so relentlessly.

So Nordinor is now too legit to quit. I wonder if his other business arrangements with the Count's family might have assisted in his new position? Apparently not. But it sounds like they will still serve him in good stead.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 31 2011, 10:50 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 31 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #89

Master
Group Icon

Great chapter as usual. I always like Buffy's interactions with characters in the game. I've always thought of Nilawen as the kind sort.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Ceidwad
post Apr 1 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #90

Evoker

Several nice touches here - you link to Teresa's story and the idea of bringing Nordinor into the tournament as a bookie is brilliant.

QUOTE(Buffy the Bowgirl)
"Why Nordinor," I said, "I never would have believed you to cut Count Terentius in on one of your enterprises. What kind of a take does his pompousness require?"

"His pompousness". Love it! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 2 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #91

Ancient
Group Icon

“Buffy, I assure you that all my illegal activities are perfectly legitimate." … Aradroth let slide a sly smile.

My fave line !!! Aradroth's character just brings such a homesickness for a certain Winter Wolf !!!! The subplots you run in the background of this tourney were unexpected surprises the first time I read them !!! Like opening a present and not knowing what is inside - I LOVE THE TOURNEY CHAPTERS !!!!! WOO HOO !!!!!! AWESOME WRITE !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Apr 2 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #92

Knower
Group Icon

As if Buffy cares if they're illegal! She's an anarchic villain! Kidding...

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 3 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #93

Paladin
Group Icon

In Episode 92, Buffy learned that the gro-Baroth brothers from Chorrol would be part of the Fighters Guild contingent trying to qualify for the tournament the following day. She then discovered that Nordinor would be running a bookmaking operation for the tournament using Aradroth as his 'subject matter expert' on archery.

Rider- Aww, thank you! It was great fun to write Lum's observations as a visitor to the Bravil FG, and a good way for Buffy to get an indirect glimpse at a couple of the larger than life characters there. I'll bet Julian has indeed given that hard-nosed lesson plenty of times to whiney young'uns! Thanks for enjoying how we closed the episode with Aradroth. Buffy the blond Bosmeri Bravilain bowgirl use alliteration? Hee! biggrin.gif

Saqin- Thanks for those kind words on that line of Nordinor's. It is great fun trying to portray what Buffy sees in so many of the NPCs.

TK- Lum didn't stand a chance when Buffy backed up Teresa's thinking about staying focused during training. tongue.gif Buffy surely is a chatterbox, but she does sort of manage to keep her counsel when it comes to the secrets of others - a little more on that in this next episode. We'll get to see some more of the bookmaking operation later in the tourney. Thanks!

ghastley- I'm so glad you enjoyed Buffy's 'big orc = redundant' tongue-in-cheek comment. Thank you.

SubRosa- Ooh! A red-headed archeress at the Bravil FG! You can bet Buffy will be curious about that! Thanks for the kind words on the flashback. You nailed our intent. Even though Pappy and Teresa's actions came to Buffy probably third hand, she understood them perfectly. Heh - the underlying politics of what makes the Court of Bravil tick are way beyond her though. As you know, she tries to avoid that castle so she will only be able to share a few small snippets from her limited perspective.

King Coin- Thank you! Nilawen is wonderful and kind all right. She even helped Buffy's mother deliver our little bowgirl one Rains Hand dawn about a score of years ago!

Ceidwad- Thank you! We touch upon five other fanfictions during the Tournament. The two largest cameo roles (Teresa and Aradroth) have already been introduced. Buffy's only real dealing with Count Bravil was being humiliated by him when she bought her house. If she can avoid dealing with him, that's fine by her!

mALX- Welcome back! Yes, we do miss our Winter Wolf. Thank you for your encouragement of our temporary excursion into some subplotting for the Tourney. There will be several themes, a couple dead ends, guest appearances, a touch of mystery and even some archery!

Zalphon- Thanks. Buffy's getting better at knowing when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em and when to shoot 'em. wink.gif

93 The Tournament of Archers, Part 9- The Game is Afoot!

"I want you to tell me what you know about closing an Oblivion Gate," I said bluntly to Ungarion after the last customer left his shop for the evening.

The Altmer blinked and stared down at me. He stepped to the door of A Warlock's Luck and locked it before replying, "Funny you should ask. I was quite hoping you would stop in." He gestured toward a chair. "Please sit. Wine? Tamika's if I recall?"

"Tamika's would be lovely, thanks." I removed Slayer and my quiver, then slid into the chair.

In between the rich tapestries lining the walls of the magic shop were numerous yellowed sheets of parchment on display with a variety of languages represented. I could recognize some of the scrolls as written in Daedric, others in Ayleid. Some, however, bore unfamiliar script. From beneath a cabinet covered in arcane oddities, the Altmer retrieved a bottle bearing the distinctive shape used by Tamika's winery.

After pouring for each of us, Ungarion eased his long frame into a wooden chair across the small table from me. "First, Buffy, a toast in honor of your return to our fair city." After the soft ring of silver goblets faded, he continued with a practiced smile, "I think we may be able to do business."

"I'm broke, Ungarion, but I was hoping for your help. I'm going to try and close that gate at Kvatch. There are brave soldiers risking their lives trying to stem the flow of Daedra from the Deadlands."

"I care not for Kvatch but you, my dear, are another story." The oily merchant smoothed a hand over his auburn hair. "Somehow you manage to move comfortably and discretely in many incompatible circles. You traffic in dark soul gems and black market goods, yet you are a respected member of the Mages Guild. You are well aware of the pathetic enterprises of Nordinor, but you do not surrender him to your friends in the city guard. I understand that Count Leyawiin has knighted you, yet you associate with Aradroth, whom I expect is of the murder-for-hire persuasion. Yes, you are a valuable ally indeed."

"I've never claimed to be of virtuous character, but I actually do know how to keep my own counsel when the secrets of others are involved." Ungarion knew enough about my history with black soul gems to get me kicked out of the guild. I, on the other hand, could have him imprisoned based on my knowledge of his high-end black market operations. Yet, I had known the Altmer all my life and did not believe him to be as unfeeling as he professed. "Can you help me, please?"

He studied me for a moment behind long steepled fingers before replying, "I believe so, Buffy. I will tell you what I know of Oblivion Gates."

"Thank you, Ungarion." I expected that he had a reason for helping me, but I needed his assistance. "I know the gate is held open by a sigil stone similar to the ones you used to make my rings of detect life. Where within the plane would I expect to find this stone?"

After taking a sip of wine, Ungarion set his goblet down. "I should believe near the center, perhaps in a tower of some sort and probably well guarded."

Now we were getting somewhere. I recalled Ilend Vonius describing a large tower after Savlian rescued him from the Deadlands. "How do I turn the sigil stone off and what happens to me since I'll be inside the gate when it closes?"

"I don't think you turn it off, Buffy." Ungarion smiled, as if indulging a child. "I expect rather, that you remove the sigil stone from whatever it may be powering. As far as what happens to you, I don't know. I do believe however, that some of the ancient sigil stones I occasionally manage to get my hands on must have come from inside such portals. That would lead me to think that you could live through the process of closing one."

His last words echoed as I stared into my goblet searching for the moments I needed to compose myself. Could it be possible to survive? I had assumed that my life would be forfeit upon closing the gate. My head spun with excitement over the chance of a future after Kvatch - perhaps with Savlian. I forced aside the swirling possibilities with the promise to think on them later. Doing my best to manage a calm response, I replied, "That's wonderful news, and certainly more knowledge than I had. I thank you, Ungarion. Is there anything else you can think of that might help me?"

"Needless to say, I would be most interested in purchasing the stone from you for a very hefty sum should you succeed. I presume you are prepared for the Daedra that surely defend the approach to the sigil stone?"

I nodded grimly.

"Yes, I would imagine so. It seems you have tuned your fine arcane education and bow skills to the life of an adventuress." The Altmer refilled our goblets. "I'm retired from that business of course, and content now to deal in exotic trinketry and secrets." Ungarion smiled and placed his folded hands on the table. "Now, I have in good faith provided what knowledge I have about your gate to Oblivion. My hope is that you might entertain a similar request from me. Should you oblige, I have some information about your tournament that I'm sure will be of interest to you."

I cautiously replied, "How can I help you, Ungarion?"

The smooth talking Altmer rubbed his hands together. "I am interested in the profit potential inside that mysterious door in the middle of our bay. They say that anyone who enters either never returns or comes out completely insane. Over an ale or three however, one of your guard friends, Gaius Prentus, let slip that you seem to be an exception." Ungarion looked at me expectantly.

"What you hear is true. Beyond that door is a very different world. From what I can gather, it's the Oblivion plane of the Daedra Lord Sheogorath, called Shivering Isles."

"A portal to Sheogorath's realm? Amazing." The Altmer rose, then returned to his chair after, placing bread, fruit and cheese on the table. "Please, eat and tell me more. Why do you think that you are able to enter and return with your sanity intact?"

"Gaius teases that it's because I'm a blonde and have nothing to lose," I said between grateful mouthfuls. I hadn't eaten since Daenlin and I shared an early lunch right after shooting for qualification. "In truth however, I suspect that it is simply because I was invited. When I approached the mysterious door, an oddly accented voice asked me inside with words about becoming his champion. I didn’t think much of it at the time and entered only out of curiosity."

"Buffy, this is fascinating. What did you find inside?" Ungarion lifted the bottle of Tamika's. "More wine, dear?"

Shaking my head, I continued, "A large outdoor area called the Fringe surrounded by high walls. I found a couple ruins of some sort and a small village named Passwall. Both the vegetation and creatures are unique. I haven't explored deeper into the realm."

"An elf with your curiosity?" The Altmer cocked his head. "Pray tell, why not?"

"Ungarion, you don't understand. The mayor of Passwall took me up to the passages that lead deeper into the Isles. The gates are guarded by a giant manlike beast that is perhaps three times my height and outweighs me tenfold. His right arm ends in a massive sword instead of a hand. I watched as he easily slew a group of steel-clad adventurers." I shivered as I recalled the slaughter wreaked by the gatekeeper.

I also remembered my guilt and anger after later seeking out Sheogorath's shrine. It was well south of Bravil along the Elsweyr border. What began as a harmless prank on the Khajiit of Borderwatch had turned out to be quite the cruel joke. Finally, I continued to Ungarion, "I know of no way to defeat the gatekeeper, and I surely don't care enough for the crazy little Daedric Prince of Madness to die trying. Besides, I have more pressing business in Kvatch." I reached for an apple and took a bite.

"Hmm," Ungarion rubbed his chin thoughtfully for a moment while his eyes traced across the ceiling, "have you come across any trinkets that might fetch a profit? Items that can only be found inside the Shivering Isles?"

"Well," I set down the apple, "the manner of dress over there is different, but I don't think you could make much gold from that." I decided not to share the lethal alchemical possibilities I had discovered. "There are gray-skinned creatures in the Fringe called grummites that remind me of goblins. They seem to have a tribal structure and are clever enough to make their own weapons and shields. Except for their bows, the items they make are heavy and crude." As I swirled my goblet, I remembered something else. "Oh, the general store in Passwell sells several varieties of wine that I've never seen in Cyrodiil."

"Wine?" The Altmer lifted an eyebrow. "I'll tell you what, Buffy. When your travels take you back there, I should love to see some samples of this grummite equipment. I also know a collector in Skingrad and another in Weye who would be quite interested in those wines you mentioned. I expect I could make it worth your while and quite appreciate you enlightening me some about the mystery." He raised his goblet.

"You're welcome, Ungarion." I smiled and once more we touched goblets. "Now, your turn again. You mentioned some information regarding the tournament?"

"Ah, yes." Ungarion frowned slightly. I thought I detected a slight squirm as the Altmer continued, "I recently sold a piece of merchandise - at a hefty profit I might add - that I believe might be of interest to you. Not that you would want the item of course, but rather that you will no doubt be concerned at the possible mischief it could cause."

"You have my attention, Ungarion," I set the goblet down, "go on."

"Well, truth be known, Buffy, I am not without affection for some of my friends here in Bravil such as yourself and Daenlin. I also know that this archery tournament is important to both of you." Ungarion shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "The item in question is a very powerful magic scroll that will temporarily drain the marksman skill from its target."

I glared at the Altmer and almost came out of my chair. "Ungarion, how could you?!? You know as well as I how difficult the use of such a scroll is to detect! In the wrong hands, it could sabotage the results of this tournament. I don't really care about the event, but it's important to Daenlin." I narrowed my eyes and hissed, "Now, who did you sell it to?"

"I sold the scroll over a week ago," the Altmer replied sheepishly, his eyes grazing the floor. "It was only when the town began to transform for the tournament that the scroll's potential occurred to me. I must confess a quite unfamiliar twinge of guilt now. In my business however, revealing the name of a customer has lethal consequences."

"You, of all people, should know better and I'm furious with you! I-" Shutting my mouth, I continued to glare at the black marketeer. Calm down, Buffy. At least you know about the scroll. I took a deep breath and exhaled loudly. "All right, Ungarion, I don't want Daenlin's tournament getting sabotaged. I also don't want you or anyone else getting killed over it."

"Look, Buffy, I can't share the name of my customer. It could mean my life." His eyes met mine and I assessed his fear as genuine.

Ungarion was an accomplished mage. He was not without the ability to defend himself, yet he clearly feared this 'customer'. Whoever he had sold the scroll to was both ruthless and formidable. That was the only lead I had. "Very well, Ungarion," I finally replied, "the information you gave me about sigil stones will be helpful, and I do appreciate that. I'll ask around discretely and see if I can come up with anything about sabotaging the tournament - without revealing your involvement."

* From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

This post has been edited by Acadian: Apr 3 2011, 08:11 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 3 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #94

Ancient
Group Icon

The addition of someone buying a "drain marksman" spell was brilliant !!! The first time I read it in your original Tourney I nearly fell out of my seat !! Awesome subplot in addition to all the others you wove so deftly into the background of these chapters !!! Have I told you recently how much ... I LOVE THE TOURNEY CHAPTERS !!!!! WOO HOO !!!!!! AWESOME WRITE !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 3 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #95

Ancient
Group Icon

First off, let me just say that April showers have never been so welcome before! wub.gif

A nice description of A Warlock's Luck. It is very much the merchant-mage's shop. Remind me to steal it!

I'm broke, Ungarion,
It looks like Buffy did indeed save enough money in her shopping expeditions to make herself broke!

As always, I loved seeing Ungarion. One of the things I like about him is how you made him a black marketeer. I simply cannot imagine him any other way now. You use him to excellent effect in pointing out Buffy's own moral ambiguity, and her lack of shame over it.

Gaius teases that it's because I'm a blonde and have nothing to lose,
laugh.gif

I must confess a quite unfamiliar twinge of guilt now.
Nicely put!

So there is a drain marksman scroll on the loose in the city of the archery tournament! Talk about a loose cannon! That could really screw things up. The question is, who has it, and who are they planning on using it upon? Daenlin seems the obvious target, as he is the seven-peat champion. But you never know...

nits:
I recalled Llend Vonius
That is actually ilend Vonius. You got tricked by the capital I looking like a lowercase l. It is easiest to tell by doing a search in the Wiki using "i".

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 3 2011, 06:43 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 3 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #96

Master
Group Icon

I enjoyed this chapter again the second time around. I had been waiting for Buffy to find out about the marksman scroll Ungarion had sold. It adds a depth and tension to the Tourney beyond the usual competition jitters.

I do have a nit, and it involves the word council. As you use it, it is incorrect.

According to the dictionary, council is a gathering or assembly, a group of people making up an authority in charge of something, such as the church council, student council, or municipial council.

In the context you intend, I believe you mean counsel. It means advice, recommendation, or an attorney in a position of advising. Keeping one's own counsel means keeping your mouth shut and minding your own business, which is exactly what Buffy is doing in your story.

Okay, back to the story. I loved the references to Nerussa and Sinderion in this chapter. Trust Ungarion to look out for his fellow Altmer wine collectors! Add me to the list of wine aficionados!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Apr 3 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #97

Mouth
Group Icon

Ever deeper down the rabbit hole, far too deep to get out now, and I can only predict disaster at the end of the path Buffy has constructed for herself. I don't want to see the world she built for herself crumble into dust, but given what she has done, both to herself and others, I really just want to jump in and scream at her if she really, really, really knows what she is a part of. She trafficks in illegal goods, she has made pilgrimage to the Prince of Madness and aided him (with full knowledge that he is a very dirty trickster) in destroying a small community, and now Ungarion wants her to revisit His realm to deal in what could be very dangerous items. The Realm of Madness is not all gaudy colors blithering head-cases, what if he asks her to bring him Felldew?

What makes this worse is that Buffy can't back out of this world. Ungarion knows secrets that would completely destroy her life and ruin every friendship she has, and to admit to what she was doing when visiting the Princes would likely cause many of her friends to start pushing her away. Buffy has made some truly poor decisions in the past, and you can only hide them for so long. Sooner or later, these truths will become known to the world, and then what? Sure, she could turn Ungarion in, but that would just be cold vengeance, and such an action would be nothing more than a grim self-service, accomplishing nothing but giving Buffy the grim pleasure of destroying the man who destroyed her.

You wander a dark path, Buffy. I do hope you are ready to face the inevitable.

But I digress, that you make me feel this way about her is a testament to your writing skill. Well done! goodjob.gif

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Apr 3 2011, 09:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 3 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #98

Ancient
Group Icon

... I need a new keyboard.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Apr 3 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #99

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 3 2011, 02:14 PM) *

... I need a new keyboard.

Come again? Was it me? mellow.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 3 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #100

Master
Group Icon

No, it was Dagoth Malan. wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

21 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:54 AM