18 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Saga of Joan of Arkay, A Morrowind Main Quest Story
Lopov
post Oct 18 2022, 07:44 PM
Post #221

Master
Group Icon

Snowy Crown looks great and seems like a fitting weapon for Joan Marie of Cheydinhal.

I like the implementation of the story behind the weapon after bringing down that kagouti. Her surprise after bringing it down, seems genuine.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 23 2022, 02:34 PM
Post #222

Councilor
Group Icon

We've had some lovely fall weather this year, no later summer totally-humid nonsense. 🍁How is everybody this weekend?

Hope you don't mind if I do the multi-quote thing. Just makes it easier for me sometimes.

QUOTE(Acadian @ Oct 9 2022, 03:48 PM) *

A wonderful depiction of Joan’s journey to master her new mace. I agree that ultimately, it will suit and serve her well. Plenty of hard work to get there but Joan’s not afraid of paying her dues. I suspect Stendarr would agree that it is the nature of the wielder, not the nature of the enchantment that sanctifies the weapon. It looks like adding to her healing repertoire will require at least another paycheck and a lack of shopping distractions.

Thanks Acadian, and yea that's very true, she's definitely dedicated to her craft, as any good adventurer should be. Interesting insight on Stendarr, too. viking.gif Confirms how Joan herself feels conflicted about her new mace's magic, which she doesn't entirely trust.

I've "known" her now for almost a decade, in two different games. One thing about her, she is stubborn she is obstinate. Sets her mind on something, etc, she's not like Lady Saga who is often flexible and flippant about stuff. So with Joan, she's only using the Snowy Crown until she finds something more compatible.

But she's also living in a very dangerous world. From her perspective during any sort of combat, only one side is going to win. So she's setting her advantages now. And from my perspective I am tired of entering into fights and then having to backtrack, or having to rely on her guard. The Snowy Crown feels a little overkilly from my perspective, but this better than constantly having to micro-manage her melees.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 9 2022, 04:19 PM) *

Cool, Joan took down that Kagouti on her own. It looks like she might be outgrowing the need for a guard to accompany her?

Just read today's story, hon!

I mean, she'll probably need to retain guards once she starts going into some really dangerous territory, but I think you'll be pleased with where she's at now.

I love that she gave up on the short blades because she did not want to be associated with the ruffians who often use them. It is like when you wear leather or fur armor in Skyrim and the guards comment that you are wearing the armor of a brigand (at least with the Guard Comments mod I have).

And the mace if of course the classic cleric's weapon indeed!

I can hear the theme from Rocky playing in the background as Joan toughens up to use her new mace.

Rocky was such an amazing movie when we were kids. goodjob.gif

Mostly, the inspiration for her to switch weapon-types happened the first times she encountered skeletons. 🦴 She just wanted to smash one, and watch the bones fly. And yes that is true, guards love to comment on what we're wearing in Skyrim. Guards are some of the only NPCs who say random things like this. Everybody else is so focussed on letting us know they work for Belethor. laugh.gif

QUOTE(macole @ Oct 9 2022, 11:03 PM) *

But the Snowy Crown is filtered through the causes of Goodness against Evil. The arm of the wielder is the filter and Joan of Arkay is Goodness personified.

Absolutely. ⚔ When we discovered this weapon being sold by one of the Mages Guild vendors, I actually wondered if it's mod-added! Looked it up on UESP just to be sure.

It does an incredible amount of damage, more than an ordinary iron or steel piece, plus it also does 1-25 frost damage. This is good, because a lot of enemies in MW are resistant to fire. The frost effect also lasts a couple seconds or so, which is why sometimes she'll only need to clobber somebody or something once or twice.

QUOTE(WellTemperedClavier @ Oct 10 2022, 09:28 PM) *

Ooh, switching weapon types! That can be a pretty big step in Morrowind, but it sounds like she has the grit and the resources to pull it off. Blunt weapons do seem to fit her a lot better than short blades.

Thank you, and yes, this involved a lot of work, and a lot of money spent on Blunt trainers. She does have the grit, but more importantly, I am an old-school gamer who doesn't mind the grind. smile.gif

I liked some of her doubt regarding the Snowy Crown. While Morrowind has tempered her in many ways, it hasn't changed who she is. The Divines and the Empire still come first for her, and this will be reflected in her actions. Still, since she's helping the Divines and the Empire, a slightly dubious magical weapon is probably not too big of a deal.

Cool, and very true. I think that in these days, she is still finding out who she is for sure. She's set on the Nine, but is still discovering what works for her during day-to-day.

But like I said above, she's also got a stubborn streak. Sets her mind on something, and by golly I'd better follow suit if I want to stay true to her roleplay. She won't be picking up any daedric weapons or gear for instance, not even for good loot money. indifferent.gif

QUOTE(Lopov @ Oct 18 2022, 02:44 PM) *

Snowy Crown looks great and seems like a fitting weapon for Joan Marie of Cheydinhal.

I like the implementation of the story behind the weapon after bringing down that kagouti. Her surprise after bringing it down, seems genuine.

Oh yes, bringing that kagouti down (and the next one, and the kwama forager which followed after that, and the blighted nix hound, and the mod-added bandit who ambushed her in the story, etc. etc.) was a genuine surprise. I was like "whoa" the first few times.

Funny thing is, in Oblivion she never uses blunt weapons. At some point she went back to shortswords. But she also relies on magic in OB more than she does in MW. Shortswords are more like her backup weapons. She also mostly uses silver shortswords, which I notice the fribble-frabble never chooses.

Let's see where she's at next.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 23 2022, 04:05 PM
Post #223

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XXXV -- The Month of Evening Star

"Take this friend. I think everyone should read this leaflet. It has important information on it."

The man, a Redguard wearing typical festive clothes, handed a folded paper to Joan. "And what might this page entail?" she asked.

"It has important information on it," the man repeated. "Something must be done."

"Many thanks, squire. Might your path be shone by rays of the enlightened."

"Goodness, Joan of Cyrodiil, what can I say?"

The Redguard walked away, leaving Joan wondering for a moment. What has she got in her hands? What was just given to her? -- At the time, she was in a public place, in Vivec's Foreign Quarter matter of fact. Maybe it was better to find somewhere quieter to read it. Also, Vivec had become a place where she no longer felt entirely comfortable or safe, not even in public places. Had someone been watching their brief encounter?

When she finally returned to her Fighters Guild room, she closed the door. because guilds were not exactly known for their privacy. Here is what the note said.

IPB Image

Vampires! Here in Morrowind! If nothing else spoke to distract the young, crusading woman from all the items on her roster, it was this note. This calling for vanquishers of the very worst kind of undead here in Tamriel. Joan had read plenty about these sullen creatures of the night during her youth: Darkness Eternal, Immortal Blood, Alva's Journal, and so on. She'd pored and studied their kind during her learning years. And now, she could possibly volunteer to fight them!

Evening Star 24
That encounter with the Redguard who'd handed over that note happened three days ago. To tell the truth though, Joan has been a very busy crusader over the entire past month.

During the end of Sun's Dusk (after speaking to Caius) she traveled north to Ald'ruhn, where she was able to convince an Argonian named Tongue-Toad to leave the town for good. This was an assignment from the Vivec Fighters Guild. She was paid well for getting the lizard to part ways. Best of all, there was no need to kill during this quest.

Joan also collected five examples of scrib jelly for the Imperial Cult, and was able to take alm donations from numerous Ald'ruhnians (meeting Iulus's goal of 100 drakes). Trick was: don't even bother to ask the Dunmer! -- Every time she did, they'd claim they already donated, but to Vvardenfell's Tribunal Temple, not to the Imperials. Fair enough. So she focused on Bretons, Imperials, guild members, anyone but native inlanders.

Finally, she'd traveled to Gnisis, and then the village of Khuul, a place she hadn't been yet. From here she and her guard walked to the Asha-Ahhe Egg Mine, where the young Blade was tasked with finding Thelsa Dral, a terrible witch who'd taken over the mine. This seemed as though it would be the most daring quest on her agenda, but in fact it was the easiest. Dral had two others with her, bodyguards, basically. But after finding them deep in the mine and performing a few attack moves, it was obvious all three had been affected by some sort of weird curse. Whatever it was, the curse caused Thelsa and her guards to freeze in place, right after Joan attacked them.*

When she returned to Vivec and then Ebonheart she was showered with gold, gold pieces that is. Her take, after all loot was sold and all compensations gained, totaled close to a thousand. More than she'd ever seen in her life. She was also rewarded with a Septim Ring, a mystical item which can be used to boost her abilities with blunt-style weaponry and persuading others. With all the coin she earned, she spent roughly half of it on training.

Oh, when she traveled from Gnaar Mok to Seyda Neen to Vivec to Ebonheart, to Pelagiad, and finally Balmora, she'd done all that walking without being accompanied by a guard.

IPB Image

----------------

24 Evening Star (Day 131), late morning.

She lazes most of the morning in bed, which to most folk here in town might seem lazy. Hawkers, merchants, even other guild members? They all had to be up early, in order to seize the day. But Joan Marie of the Fighters Guild? She is exhausted, after spending so much time traveling the roads, encountering various monsters and mer and men. Spending the night outdoors, or in dinky fishing villages which did not have proper sleeping quarters for rent.

Still, she'd rather travel the roads on foot. To do means she's doing her part at keeping Vvardenfell's roads clean of rabblery. Silt strider and boats are rarely sought by the young Blade.

And now, she is ready to speak to Caius again.

She puts on a red and rouge-colored blouse (her new favorite), arranges her hair into its usual ponytail. No boots, no shoes, no sandals. Off she goes, out the door. Begins walking from the guild, crossing the west Balmora plaza.

"Say what you want or go away," a dark elf wearing a green robe chides gruffly.

"Keep moooving," warns a Hlaalu guard.

"Don't stand about. Keep moving!"

Joan the secret Blade strides by all of them, taking notice of the fact that not everyone likes her. The weather is cool and foggy. She feels the coldness of the stones she walks upon as she crosses over one of the town's Odai River bridges. By the time she gets to Caius's place, she is beginning to shiver.

Inside the Cosades hovel she meets her superior, who is in the middle of exercise when she walks in, pushing himself off the floor with his hands in a repetitive fashion.

"Ah, welcome," he asks nonchalantly, getting up. "What may I do for you?"

"Nice to see you maintaining health, Caius."

"How can I help you?" he repeats.

"Well, I have been quite assiduous since we've last conversed, and do take notice that I have used the singular 'I', rather than the plural 'we'. Fact of matter, I have recently eschewed the company of guards as I've traversed." Joan smiled briefly. "For I feel as though my competence with weaponry has begun to flourish."

"Outstanding!"

For a few minutes, they talk about their various adventures and experiences across Tamriel: Joan from her current perspective, and Caius speaking of his past. And finally, the topic they're really here to discuss is raised.

"Are you here to discuss your orders, Joan? Or is there something else you want?"

"Please, what has been arranged forthwith?"

"We need an Ashlander informant. I have heard of a fellow in Ald'ruhn named Hassour Zainsubani, an Ashlander who left the Wastes to become a wealthy trader. They say the Ashlanders like to give and receive presents."

Joan scribbles her notes. "And how shall these received presents pertain?"

"Take these 100 drakes," he says, handing her coin once again. "Find out what Zainsobani likes, and get him a gift. Then you should give him the gift, and see if he will tell you about the Ashlanders and the Nerevarine cult. Then report back to me."

Hassour can be probably be found in the Ald Skar Inn, Caius tells her. So it looks like she's headed back north, but not just yet. Amazingly, this directive from the Empire is not something which sounds as though it's going to need to be done soon. Firstly on her agenda, she must...

1). Rescue a priest named Jocien Ancois from a far-off place called the Erabenimsun Camp. The priest had been captured at some point. Supposedly the camp where he'd been taken can be found in the wastelands of Molag Amur, somewhere in the east portion of Vvardenfell. Since this quest is a rescue, Joan feels she must respond to it first.

2). Go to Vas, which is a Velothi tower on the Sheogorad island, way to the north of Morrowind. Once she is there, she is to rid the necromancers inside.

A crusader's work is never done. She also has been tasked with finding a special silver staff which'd been stolen, and collecting corkbulb for Synnonian Tunifus. These orders are not so important, of course. Suffice to say, it's looking as though Morning Star should be just as busy as the month before.

------------------------

Joan's new favorite outfit

Diverting Tongue-Toad

There's something down there. Something EVIL...

The Battle of Thelsa Dral

Sparring with Caius

Notes:
1). I think the guy named "Vorenei" mentioned in that note is either mod-added, or I misspelled his name. There's no Voreni or Vorenel listed at UESP. If he is mod-added, I haven't the foggiest what adds him

2). When Joan confronted the witch in the eggmine and all of them froze in place, that actually happened. It was a glitch! But even after reloading a couple times (because I was all jazzed up for a fight) they still glitched in place.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 24 2022, 12:23 AM
Post #224

Ancient
Group Icon

Vampires! It looks like someone ought to take a bite out of crime here...

It sounds like an odd glitch in the game erm, I mean the Hand of Justice, came through to help Joan smite the evildoers in the mine.

Joanie is rich! See, Justice does pay.

Joan Marie has not eschewed the charm when she talks to Caius I see.

Looks like Joan has a lot of work ahead. A kidnapping, necromancers, and some intelligence gathering.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 24 2022, 08:33 PM
Post #225

Paladin
Group Icon

Is that a vampiric nod to our own DE I noted after Joan read her mysterious missive?

Joan has certainly been profiting from her questing.

’She was also rewarded with a Septim Ring, a mystical item which can be used to boost her abilities with blunt-style weaponry and persuading others.’
- - Nice synergy implied here. After all, blunt weapons are a superb way to persuade others in their own right. wink.gif

And Joan is relying on her guard much less now – looks like spending much of her gold on training is paying off.

So Shoeless Joan visits Shirtless Caius again to impress him with her assiduousness and receive new tasking.

With a dance card freshly refilled with a variety of quests, Joan seems ready to sally forth once again.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
macole
post Oct 24 2022, 09:30 PM
Post #226

Mouth
Group Icon

… “, gold pieces that is”. Now why do we need to clarify the bit about gold coins? Hours later… Ohhh!! embarrased.gif

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Oct 26 2022, 03:57 AM
Post #227

Finder
Group Icon

Joan's gone from not being sure where to go, to going all across western Vvardenfell, from Khuul to Vivec and everywhere in-between.

And, as tends to happen in Morrowind, she's made a decent amount of scratch doing all that. I guess life on the road does cut down on expenses. No taxes, utility bills, etc. She even has enough to actually wear an outfit she likes.

Anyway, she's back on the job with Caius (loved the bit about him doing exercises, you figure a guy in as good shape as him must have a great routine). Getting closer and closer to the real source of all the troubles here. And, maybe, getting a lead on the vampire threat as well. Finding them can be pretty darn tough, as I recall, but they're out there.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 6 2022, 01:35 PM
Post #228

Councilor
Group Icon

Don't worry, I'm not planning on saturating the forums. I'll continue with Joan's tale until sometime in December, maybe take a break, and then I'll switch to Laprima fuller-time before Xmas. santa.gif Meanwhile, I want to write a few Laprimas quietly during all the time, getting ahead of the story just like you true fan-fictioners do.

Let's have some questions and comments.

----------------

Yes it is nice when we finally begin to break the monetary barrier, SubRosa Florens. That's one of the parts I love about RPGs. We can look back at where our people were, remember the days when they were poorer and weaker, and so on.

And like I said, I have no idea why the wicked witch and her cohorts did not continue to attack. I actually wanted them to! mad.gif Was all jazzed up for a rumble.

Joan appreciates your compliment.

----------------

Is that a vampiric nod to our own DE I noted after Joan read her mysterious missive?

Guilty! tongue.gif In fact there is no book called Darkness Eternal in the ES series! I thought there was. Truth is, there could be, right? So yeah, that's for you DE, wherever you are. evillol.gif

Yes it was nice to get that ring. It's got 4 effects: one which she'll never use, and three which she uses constantly (the ring also boosts MW's 'Attack' stat, which helps with this game's hidden dice-rolls in combat). Still, she's been able to narrow down her magical devices (inventory's getting cluttered) and is using the Septim Ring instead of two other items which did pretty much the same things.

It is nice using words like "assiduous" in a sentence, right? Sometimes I'll say stuff like that at work, everyone going "huh?"

----------------

macole: Yea, there are other uses for getting showered in gold. whistling.gif :yuck: Think it's best we clarify which ones!

----------------

Clavier, Well-Tempered: Again, it's nice to see the results of attainment. I guess it's easier to notice in these games, since there are none of our typical expenses here on Earth like rent and insurance and bills, not without mods, that is. 💰

Yep, exercise. Gotta keep those pecs and Cyrodiilic 6-pack! I also figure Caius is trying to keep busy in his mostly humdrum life. It's either get into exercise, read more, interact more with the paupers of his surroundings, or succumb to the EVILs of skooma addiction!

To all: Today's story will be short because Joan opted to try finding Jocien the kidnapped priest. Turns out, this is one really tough mission. indifferent.gif I remember doing it long ago with Sir Galarad on Xbox and it didn't seem so hard. But maybe that's because Galarad pretty much stuck to the sword 'n' board theme rather than switching weapon-types; he was a better fighter by the time he got to this quest than Joanie is.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 6 2022, 04:01 PM
Post #229

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XXXVI -- Jocien Ancois, part I

On the day of 7 and the previous month of Sun's Dusk, Jocien Ancois was apparently captured. Removed from his post. Jocien, a Breton priest who'd been helping a remote village of ashlanders get accustomed to 'Imperial culture and virtues', had somehow been reported as missing. Was he actually taken somewhere, though? Was the man even still alive?

He'd been sent to a place called Erabenimsun Camp (sent by the Imperials) and had arrived some days prior to the 7th. A few days later, and he was nowhere to be seen. Somebody needed to find out where he'd been taken, or if the priest was still around at all. Who would get tasked with such a quest, to go searching for some individual in the middle of nowhere?

This messy situation became Joan's next assignment of course, given to her by Radd Hard-Heart of Fort Moonmoth's Imperial Legion. And who better to take up the cause?

Finding the camp is not easy. Molag Amur (where Erabenimsun is located) is a huge expanse of empty, ashen land, populated by cliff racers, kagouti, and an occasional atronach. Joan makes two attempts into the land. First was with an orc she found loitering outside the canton of Molag Mar. This orc offered his services as a hireling and adventurer, and began following Joan after she paid him a small fee. She and the orc had gotten about halfway to the camp before Joan got attacked by a rat which caused her the blight. Realizing she was about to run out of blight potions it was prudent to return to society, as any good traveler of Vvardenfell should know.

The orc she'd hired is a steady fellow who carries a spear. He is strong and sure, but Joan intuited he might not be worthy against, let's say, a frost atronach or some daedric minions; and she'd already spotted a few of these in the distance as they traversed the ashes. Because of this, she decided to return all the way to Fort Moonmoth via boats and silt striders. She then convinced another guard to leave his post, and take up the much more altruistic plight of rescuing the missing priest.

Safety in numbers.

So now she leads a party of three. Joan's orc hireling carries a spear and wears iron armor; he'd been good with the creatures. The guard uses a sword of silver, with a longbow for backup; chances are he'd be better against any magical beings they encounter.

It takes a couple days of wandering roads which are unfamiliar, with just an occasional signpost to guide her. But since she'd already gotten halfway to the camp the week before, Joan is able to make good time. Her map is vague, the directions she'd been given unreliable, and signposts along the road are uncommon. Because of these factors, Joan relies on shadows on the ground to figure which direction to go. If it's morning for instance, and shadows fall to the left as they walk, this means they're traveling north.

When she finally locates Erabenimsun, literally in the middle of nowhere, Joan is astounded they'd managed to find the place at all.

IPB Image

8 Morning Star, Mid-Morning
The air is cool and bluish-gray as Joan and her companions near the camp. All around, there's nothing but rock. Rocks, boulders, gray ash on the ground. No trees, no lush grasses. But plenty of ash, and occasional plant life which is adept at survival: trama roots, fire ferns, and so on...

.... and thankfully, there hadn't been any ash storms over the past couple days. At some point, Joan and one of her previous guards had gotten caught in one of those. A whole lot of fun, they are not.

As she nears some of the camp's ashland dwellers, the crusader from Cyrodiil realizes she's still donned in Imperial armor. Curses! that's a mistake. From what she's heard, ashlanders hate and have little tolerance for the Empire.

She has no choice at the moment, however. They've come all this way, after all. And perhaps their mere presence in this otherwise alien atmosphere should lend a clue to the ashlanders about why the outsiders are here.

"How fares thee?" she asks a masked man wearing chitin armor.

"I don't have a lot of patience, outlander," he scoffs.

"But, you have not gathered my query, sera." She ends her words with 'sera', a Vvardenfellian term commonly used amongst the natives, hoping that this'll lend some sort of respect.

"You have no manners, outlander. I said go away!"

"But sera. We have arrived from far away, in regards of Jocien Ancois," she states in a small voice. "He is a priest who'd been assigned here, and'd arrived roughly one month past, accordingly. Have you any knowledge regarding Jocien?"

Joan carefully studies the ashlander as he answers, but of course, he's wearing a mask which covers his entire face. Probably wise, given the fact that ash storms can happen at any time in these parts. But because his facial expressions cannot be seen, she has no way of discerning whether he's about to tell tall tales.

Truthfully, she expects more hostility from the ashlander. So it's a surprise when the elf immediately divulges some of the information she needs.

"He is like the nix hound chasing a bone. We told him the Mabrigash wanted to hear him speak from his books. He went to them, and never returned."

Hmm, Mabrigash, eh? -- Sounds as if he's been led astray, Joan quickly surmises, but does not say aloud. ---- Well at least the elf has admitted Jocien was actually present here, at least for a while.

Joan attempts to learn who (or what) this Mabrigash is, but the ashlander shuts her down. Unsure what to do or say next, she decides to walk a few paces away from the camp. She's about to remove her Imperial breastplate (because maybe her legionnaire's status might be off-putting to these ashen elves) when her traveling orc speaks up.

"Mabrigash is wise-woman who left the camp," he tells Joan in his grumbly voice. "She steals man's vital essence, make herself powerful sorcerer. Her camp is to west, along lava. Mabrigash have other friends with, and I warn you stay away."

Joan stands astonished. How can the orc know all this, while she faltered for information?

Turns out, he had been able to perform his own sort of questioning of those at the camp. And he'd been more successful than she, perhaps due to his race, which the ashen elves perhaps perceive as downtrodden and cast aside. Orcs had traditionally faced their own difficulties from just about every other race and species of Tamriel. In other words, he is perceived as just like them.

By now, the day is half-past. Joan tries to follow the advice surreptitiously given to her hireling, tries walking a couple roads which aim away from the camp. But finding this place where the Mabrigash is supposed to be hidden is not easy. She travels west, which is the way they had come. Tries a few extra roads and paths along the way, but finds no lava flows.

By the time she returns to the camp the day is getting long. The ashlanders of Erabenimsun refuse to allow Joan and her party to sleep the night in one of their yurts, which means they must rest outside on the ashy ground.

Joan Marie of Cyrodiil, she does not sleep well into morning. Cold air. Dust on the ground. Difficult, hostile elves constantly reminding her they're not welcome here. She looks back to those dinky little fishing villages she'd spent nights in along the Bitter Coast. No comfy inns to spend the night in those either, but now she realizes how much more inviting and welcoming those villages are.

When Joan, her guard, and her orc adventurer awake the next morning the Red Volcano has decided to greet them with a smile, as all three of them find themselves getting bombarded by an ash storm.

------------------------

Fighting a kagouti

Party of Three

Erabenisum Camp (however you spell it) Arrival

Ash Storm!!!! panic.gif

Notes: I used the MW Construction Set to a few Orc Adventurers into my Morrowind, just so she's not always traveling with guards. But I've also noticed NPCs in this game (guards, for instance) are able to pick up new conversation topics according to where they travel. I don't think there is any such thing as GetInFaction in Morrowind's quests, to narrow down which NPCs can say which things.

From the perspective of roleplay of course, it makes sense that the orc is able to get better intel than my Joanie.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 6 2022, 11:27 PM
Post #230

Ancient
Group Icon

Joanie is on the case of the mysterious disappearance of Jack Ank. Let's see if like Hercule Poirot, her little brain cells will lead her crack the case.

Joan has a good internal compass, relying on the shadows of the sun to guide her way.

The Who-Brigash?

And it is her Orc Companion who cracks the case. I guess he should have a name now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 7 2022, 08:38 PM
Post #231

Paladin
Group Icon

Into the ashlands, properly equipped with an orc adventurer, Legion soldier and some blight potions.

A little, but not much info from the first ashlander Joan encounters. Joan's orc hireling, however, has much better luck filling in quite a few details regarding the search for Jocien.

No rest for the weary though after a rough night on the ground and awakening to an ash storm. kvleft.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Nov 9 2022, 04:58 AM
Post #232

Finder
Group Icon

There are some nasty things out in the wastes, and Daedra are just the tip of the iceberg! It's a good thing that Joan brought along some help. She's been on Vvardenfell long enough to know that the place doesn't kid around.

Loved the interaction between her and the Ashlander. I always loved the way Morrowind made the Ashlander camps feel really far out there. Visiting one was a commitment, and there was no fast travel to ease the journey. Your story definitely brings that quality across to the reader.

Good thing Joan brought the Orc along, and hopefully she learned a lesson about not underestimating people. Sure, he might not be a good enough combatant to take on an atronach, but he knows how to get around with the Ashlanders.
+Quote Post
macole
post Nov 9 2022, 06:59 AM
Post #233

Mouth
Group Icon

It's the little touches like the player and NPCs shielding their eyes with their hands during tha ash storms that I miss in the other game. Be strong Joan or that wind will blow you all the way back to Balmora.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 11 2022, 03:09 PM
Post #234

Councilor
Group Icon

Hey, you can miss those "little touches" Macole, Vampire Hunter, I think I'll pass on dust storms in later games! laugh.gif

-----------------------------------------

Preparing for the uber-baddies is a combination of Joanie's inexperience, Clavier and Acadian in the sense that she sees this giant, flaming being way in the distance and thinks "whoa, I'd better prepare better", but also me with all my RPG experience, going back to the 1980s in high school. 🎲

I had an elf named Simone who was level 20-something. The guy had all this enchanted gear, was unstoppable in combat, yadda yadda. He traveled with a group which was mostly non-elves, and one day when one of their adventures was over, he decided to travel back to his homeland, by himself. And why not? Simone was level 20-something.

He spent the night outdoors, but was ambushed by three dire wolves. Pfft, not a prob. He lost his 'saving throw' (he was surprised), which means the wolves attacked first. Big deal. First roll of dice = double damage. Second wolf bites = TRIPLE damage. Final wolf attacks, and I roll another double.

I Mean, the odds for that sort of thing simply never happened, that combination of dice rolls. And I was in tears. Simone the elf was dead. blink.gif I couldn't believe it. I had to leave the gaming table.

Joan's game is not 'dead-is-dead', her story continues on into Oblivion so DID is impossible. But it's still my habit to not walk her into extreme danger in the first place.

Thanks for kind comments. smile.gif

-------------------------------

I'll have to Bing! for Jack Ank, Rosa. Ah, you've lost me! I've got a Facebook page called "Jack Ank Profiles" at best. unsure.gif From there, the search dissolves into Did you mean Jack Black? and other randoms.

Yes, I did name both the orc and her new Imperial Archer in this next story. Who knows how long they'll last, though?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 11 2022, 04:23 PM
Post #235

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XXXVII -- Jocien Ancois, part II

9 Morning Star (Day 147), early afternoon

IPB Image

Joan Marie of the Legion walks with her two comrades, an orc named Jub and an Imperial archer who goes by Stefan, through the wastes of Molag Amur. As they walk, brutal winds of red blow across their faces. It's an ash storm! ... And like many other storms of its type, it doesn't just end in an hour or two, the way rain sometimes does.

They move northwest, away from Erabenimsun Camp. Within a few minutes they come to an intersection of roads. They decide to turn left. The place where Jocien Ancois had been taken is supposed to be somewhere west.

The road begins to crest downward; the storm, it is unrelenting. At some point Joan sees some pale items on the ground. As she nears, she sees a series of three pages, which are somehow not getting blown away. She picks these up, for no other reason than they are out of place, in this otherwise hostile environment.

IPB Image

They're soon attacked by a rat, which Joan's two followers ruthlessly take turns defeating. More pages on the ground are nearby. A cliff racer floats off to their left. Joan braces for a fight as the party draws near. But the flying beast doesn't attack. Not all of them do. There's a signpost up ahead, which explains how to get to Molag Mar and Mount Kand on one side, Vos and Tel Vos on the other. Another page on the ground.

Joan realizes there's large gash of molten hot magma straight ahead. Ah, this must be the place.

She tells her followers to wait by the signpost, while she forges ahead. She needs to perform some reconnaissance on her own. If there's a chance she can find the area where Jocian had been taken, and glimpse it from afar, this would be ideal. The information given to Jub the orc hinted there could be 'others' nearby. Other what? -- Other witches? -- Daedra? -- Vampires? Best to know beforehand, if possible.

Steam vents blow heated vapor from the ground, rocks and a few long-dead trees permeate the landscape. Up ahead, Joan thinks she sees someone. -- An enemy? Or a friend. Hard to see in this dreadful deluge. The figure stands still, but Joan begins weaving left and right as she nears it. Doesn't want to get hit by any unseen arrows.

It's an Argonian, she sees as she gathers near. The lizard is not drawing a bow, nor any weapon at all. "Speeeak quickly," he says.

"Almsivi," Joan begins, covering her face so she doesn't get dust in her mouth. She's wishing now that she'd bought a helmet for this journey.

"Who... who are you?" the lizard says, worriedly. "Leave me alone. I must get home now."

The crusader presses for an explanation to this, but the lizard does not explain. Originally from lush, humid swampland, today's dust storm frightens the scaly being. But the Argonian does not explain where he needs to go. When Joan asks him about the Mabrigash, he cannot understand what she's speaking of.

Another page on the ground, which she picks up. Joan walks slowly and tentatively forward, toward the literal river of lava. Cautiously gazes in all directions, especially upwards, because out here you never knew if something was about to attack from above.

Something strikes her! .. She dances all around, but nobody is near! Probably an arrow. Thank goodness her chain armor breastpiece caught the brunt of it, then.

Unsure what in oblivion just happened, she finds herself rushing back, past the Argonian, and behind a large rock. Looking behind, she sees a shadow run from left to right, barely visible. So she continues to run in a zigzag fashion, which makes it harder for any missiles to find her.

"Let's see what you're made of!" grunts her Imperial as the archer nears. Both he and Jub stalk off to fight the enemy, who turns out to be nothing but a common road bandit, with barely any coin in his pocket. She could've handled the menace by herself, but still. Perhaps better to travel together, from now on.

Hours have gone by, and now the sky is getting dark. Joan decides to head back to the original camp. Before heading back, she decides to bring the lost Argonian with them. The Ashlanders might try eventually to make him a slave, but at least he'd be in a safer place.

-----------------------------------------------------

10 Morning Star, early morning
Heading back turns out to be a good idea. Next morning, they awake to a much more pleasant atmosphere. The sky is blue, the landscape is pink and rosy with upcoming sunlight. Just...heavenly. No more ash storm. And this much more agreeable weather makes it easier to find Mabrigash's camp.

They return to the lava flow, this time pivoting in the direction the archer had come. Joan finds another page on the ground. Now that the storm's over, she can finally see that all these pages are from one of the editions of Brief History of the Empire, which has to be one heck of a set of clues.

"Imperial pages, hmm."

Nobody out here is going to have any need for one of the books which graces almost every Imperial's bookshelf back home. She feels she's on the right track, then.

She finds another page. And another. Pretty soon, she'll have enough to make an entire volume. Joan turns to her companions after walking another quarter-mile or so.

"Let's hear it." says the Imperial.
"Speak quickly!" says the orc.

She tells her traveling companions maybe it's better if they'd wait here. Walks a bit more. Ironically, now that she's got some better muscle, she has yet to see any formidable enemies for them to assist against.

And there it is. Up ahead, a yurt in the distance, with two Ashlander-looking Dunmer strutting outside. Just beyond their home lies yet another page. Got to be the place.

"May the sodden actions of Arkay guide thy path, should ye choose to befoul my presence."

Joan Marie draws near, imbuing herself with the magic from her Septim Ring, just in case. The two figures before her make no reaction. They seem like ordinary Molag Amur Ashlanders; a man and a woman, wearing common tan clothes. Not a threat. Should she go back to get the others? Joan does not think that'll be necessary.

"Whatever you're looking for, I'm sure I don't know how to find it!" the lady scolds.

"I am Joan Marie, of the Legion," she begins. Again, she's acutely aware of her Imperial belongings. "And how is it you suspect I am inherently sussing about?"

"Spit it out, or hit the road!"

Since there's no attack imminent, the crusader from Cyrodiil starts with her usual small-talk. Asks the woman her name.

"I am Mamaca Ashun-Idantus, Mabrigash."

"Mabrigash," she's found her mark. "As stated, I am of the Imperials, traveling across these unwelcoming plains. Might you have any words regarding local cautions?"

"Well if you're heading into the backcountry, always carry a couple restore health, restore fatigue, cure disease, and cure blight potions with you," Mamaca offers.

Great. Off to a resplendent start.

"Gracious, sera. Might we as well have any knowledge of a priest by the name of Jocien Ancois?"

"Talk to Zennammu in the yurt," Mamaca says more quietly.

"May the graces of light continue to guide your path," Joan tries.

"Don't try to butter me up, Breton."

Inside the yurt it's nice and comfy. They've got a blue paper lamp hanging from the ceiling, a small fire to fend off the cold, a couple bedrolls, a table, chair, and several containers.

"What's this about?" says a red-robed man, obviously Breton.
"Speak quickly outlander or go away!" This comes from a Dunmer lady wearing yellow.

Hmm.

"Jocien Ancois?" she asks the Breton.

"I dare not leave until these outcast Erabinimsun have been dealt with," he speaks lowly, even though the lady is right across from him.

Joan looks to the young female wearing yellow. "Explain thyself, sera."

"You want to take Jocien from us?" the female, whose name is Zennammu, asks. "But how can we work our magic without a man?"

"Without a man?"

"I will let Jocien go if you can being us a better man. The brave hunter Assaba-Bentus of the Erabenimsun is young, strong, and handsome. If you bring him here, we will let Jocien go."

My goodness.

Two hours later, back in Erabinimsun, Joan eventually locates the hunter, who tells her more about Jocien the priest.

"He came to our camp speaking many lies from a large book," Assaba-Bentus says gruffly. "We told him the Mabrigash wanted to hear his words. Of course he was captured by them, who hold him captive, still. He could not escape from his shirt without help."

"Aye. I have already gleaned this knowledge myself, as I have conversed with the priest."

When asked about the Mabrigash's request that he join them at their campsite, the hunter expresses outrage. "What? ...You want me to go live with the witch-women? Do you think I am a fool like Jocien? Do you think I would fall for their charms?"

Joan tries her best to convince him he should go, after learning he'd fooled their charms in the past. Surprisingly, she is successful.

By now, it is again getting late. Joan is surprised when Assaba-Bentus informs the Breton that she doesn't have to sleep outside. The Wise Woman who lives in the center of camp not only has bedrolls to spare, she also sells food, items, and weak potions. This is good, since the party's foodstuffs are dwindling.

But now is not the time to rest, not with this quest so possibly near its end. Two hours later, and she's back at Mabrigash, this time with the hunter. "Do not worry about me," Assaba-Bentus tells her once they've arrived. "No witch-woman can hold a real warrior for long."

She goes inside the yurt. "My time is precious so make it quick!" Zennamu scolds, making Joan wonder what sort of time is needed to maintain the single space within her yurt.

"I have convinced Assaba-Bentus to come. As can be seen he is capable and handsome. Now, the time has come to unfetter thy charge."

The 'witch-woman' agrees to this. Which is a good thing of course, because it means on the morrow, they can all leave Molag Amur, confident in the knowledge that Jocien Ancois has been saved.

"You have brought us a better man," the witch concludes. "We will let Jocien go."

"May the Nerevar shine thy way," the crusader tells her. Though she hasn't got much of an idea of what the Nerevar truly is, Joan is able to hit a mark with this Ashland elf.

"I'll take that as a compliment."

The curse is lifted from Jocien Ancois, who "promises to make his way back to Erabinimsun right away, so he can continue to teach them of the Empire and its ways."

Is it possible to be too dedicated to one's craft? Joan thinks she and her party will be leaving this land, tomorrow and at the first signs of daylight.

-------------------------------------------

Lost Argonian

Rose-colored morning -- (I love how there's such a huge difference once those ash storms are over).

NOTES: I had to use the console to get the quest above to update. Brought the hunter guy to Zennammu's camp, and she continued to not recognize he was there.

This post has been edited by Renee: Nov 12 2022, 01:01 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 11 2022, 09:32 PM
Post #236

Paladin
Group Icon

So the main enemy here was the hostile environment. Joan’s search for the priest transitioned to a search for a ‘better man’ – which she found without too much fuss.

I wonder what the witch women intend to do with their ‘better man’? And does Joan continue to escort her lost swamp lizard to a safer refuge? Regardless, another quest complete by the crusading Joan of Arkay. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 12 2022, 02:06 AM
Post #237

Ancient
Group Icon

Our orc gets a name. Jub. Maybe that is short for Jub gro-Lub?

Ah yes, the trail of pages. I had forgotten about that. That was a nice addition by the devs to help find Jocien.

Cliffracers, and bandits, and wayward Argonians. There is always something happening in the ashlands.

So she is going to trade them a manly Ashlander for the spindly Breton missionary? Looks like Mabrigash is getting the better part of that bargain.

--------------------
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Nov 12 2022, 04:40 AM
Post #238

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Nov 11 2022, 04:23 PM) *

Since there's no attack imminent, the crusader from Cyrodiil starts with her usual small-talk. Asks the woman her name.

It always starts with the small-talk. Chat about the weather here, talk about your business there. Next thing you know you're signing a less-than-favorable trade agreement, but goshdarnit, this Imperial just seems like such a nice person.

Morrowind's ashstorms are an ordeal to get through, and your writing captures that. They're just so constant and enormous, until even though it's a video game, you're relieved to get indoors. But Joan treks on like the crusader she is, and even manages to resolve the issue without killing anyone (except the bandit, but he started it).

I'd completely forgotten about how the missionary left pages behind as a trail, so that was a neat reminder. And as always, I get a kick of how all the characters save for Joan speak in the same weird way that NPCs do in-game, and Joan rolls with it like a pro.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 3 2022, 02:37 AM
Post #239

Councilor
Group Icon

I apologize for the delay. Gonna focus on Joan's story for the next month or so, while also working on some Laprimas, but I won't post Laprima until those are well-done. Writing Joans and Vicious near-weekly is like trying to make journalistic deadlines! ... Laprima's story is more like my imaginary agent & publisher has given me X amount of time. More like writing a novel I guess, ha. 📖

Acadian: you got it. Bad weather can slow us down in Cyrodiil, in the sense that we might not have our usual visibility, but rainstorms are nothing like the deluges of dust which get faced in Vvardenfell. panic.gif Honestly I hate them; one of the few things I truly hate about the game. And so does Joanie!

And does Joan continue to escort her lost swamp lizard to a safer refuge?

Oops, I misread this yesterday. whistling.gif I think that swamp lizard was attached to a quest which glitched. Pretty sure when I gamed on Xbox that the lizard is supposed to say "HELP!" or something, but there was no dialog other than the usual generic MW topics. So this somehow glitched in Joan's game.

She merely led him back to the Erabashanibam camp (however it's spelled) and left him there.

SubRosa: Yes that trail of pages is a nice, creative method some dev thought of, in the days before quest markers. 🕴

Both of those fellows got pwned. sad.gif The trio walked down through Molag Amur, and were maybe a half-mile away from getting to safer land when they encountered a frost atronach. The orc got killed almost immediately, since he'd already been hurt in another battle. The Imperial lasted a bit longer, but again they came across some magical, tougher creature, and then he also fell. verysad.gif

The Dunmer dude Joan brought to the Witch Woman told her he's been with them before. He claims to have out-charmed them in the past, or something. wub.gif Claims he was able to free himself from them.

WellTemperedClavier: hA HA YEs, it does always start with the small talk. laugh.gif At least with Joanie this is true. Ana Khannda (my other lady ATM, who is a Dunmer archer) never small-talks. She always gets to the point.

Yea, those ash storms... you said it well. Always a relief to (1) find somewhere to get out of them or (2) sometimes they'll die down on their own. We'll hear the wind sound start to dwindle, and finally the damn storm'll end. But that's rare. Usually they'll keep raging for an entire day. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 3 2022, 02:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 3 2022, 04:35 PM
Post #240

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XXXVIII -- Vas

30 Morning Star (Day 168), Year 428

On the final day of the first month of 428, Joan arrives at Dagon Fel for the first time. She spends the night in the oddly-named 'End of the World' tavern, and doesn’t waste time before starting off to find Vas the next day. Vas is a Velothi tower located on a small inlet, somewhere northwest of Sheogorad's main island.

And why is she being sent to such a remote location? - Because the place is rumored to harbor a powerful necromancer named Daris Adram, and Joan's the only one entrusted to eradicate him!

She leaves The End of the World early the next morning, after a meal of eggs and saltice. It’s a pleasant day outside. Colorful flora everywhere. Sun is shining. Weather is fair. There's a breeze, but it’s not chilly at all, despite coming off the north coast. A betty netch floats pleasantly just outside the village. There’s a paved road which leads away from Dagon Fel. According to the locals, the entire island had been civilized long ago by Nords, and then maintained for centuries by the Dwemer. Which means there should be plenty of tamped-down roads and paths to follow.

Ash storms cannot happen this far away from Red Volcano, visibility's therefore a given. Joan's looking forward to her journey, which she imagines she'll travel without too many setbacks.

Unfortunately, she doesn't get far before she's attacked by a pale, bipedal creature. Whatever it is, it immediately begins throwing spells. She's hit by the very first one; caught by surprise! - Good thing she hasn't gotten too far away from society, yet. She’s able to dodge most of her enemy’s magics while rushing back to Dagon Fel, though she gets pegged by a couple more. Whatever magic's in these spells doesn't affect her strength, magic, or well-being, making her wonder what’s supposed to be going wrong.

The pale monster eventually runs out of mana, then it rushes toward her. The fight becomes brutal! One of the creature's touch-magic spells paralyzes the crusader from Cyrodiil, causing her to fall in the middle of the street. Good thing she's got a potion for this.

To make matters worse, her magical Snowy Crown mace barely seems to make a dent, as she slams her adversary with blow after blow. By now, even a blighted kagouti would've fallen, yet the pale monster continues to pursue. The residents of Dagon Fel do nothing to assist her in battle, not that Joan expects them to. But there are also no guards in town (nor any Ordinators), Joan Marie of the Fighters Guild must defeat the menace on her own!

Time passes enormously quick as Joan and the demonic-looking beast battle, yet it also slows to a crawl. Her health begins to wane. Thinking quick, she manages to zip round a sharp corner, back to The End of the World, ever-so-glad she hadn't gotten too far away. Pushes her way through the tavern's door, struggles to catch her breath.

"Welcome," says Hjortra the Peacock, the tavern's innkeeper. "If you wish to talk, it's really no trouble at all."

The crusader's so focused on healing herself (and quickly!), she barely hears Ms. Peacock. Joan casts a spell which’ll slowly heal her injuries over the next ten seconds, and also quaffs a potion to boost her strength. Uses her Septim Ring to arm herself with offensive magic. After just a few moments inside, out she goes again to fight!

So now she's been healed, but the creature's been heavily injured. A few more swings and bludgeons, and the fight is over. Joan of Cyrodiil finds herself completely exhausted. All this movement and action makes it seem like hours have gone by. A quick glance up at the sun, though, and she realizes it's only half-past mid-morning.

The crusader spends some time looking for somebody she can hire or persuade. But this won't work. Even if there were a guard or an adventurer who’d be willing to follow, there's no way he or she would be able to follow all the way to Vas. Vas is remote, with significant fathoms of water separating it from the main island. Anyone traveling with her would be unable to complete the journey, unless they happened to be really good swimmers.

"Well. I sha'n't traipse the main island on my own," Joan muses quietly, thinking aloud. "Not after nearly succumbing to ... that," she says, looking down at her fallen opponent.

Aye, her opponent. What exactly is that thing? After speaking to a local seafarer, she learns the monster she'd just defeated is called a 'hunger'. Though she'd never seen one before, Joan remembers learning about them down in Cheydinhal. "Hungers! Foul Daedric minions of Boethiah!" she whispers, shuddering involuntarily.

"Good journey to you," answers the seafarer, who seems impressed to have met a real, live adventuring type way up here.

Now that she's battled a hunger, the last thing Joan wants is to be ambushed by a second example somewhere deep in wilderness, where there's no safety door to hide behind. Good thing she'd recently picked up a water-walking spell down in Vivec, looks like she's going to need it!

"Aye, I shall sojourn across the sea." By doing so, she'd avoid whatever nasties the main island of Sheogorad has to offer.

IPB Image

This seems like a great idea, at first. Joan pictures herself walking over calm waves, occasionally studying her map for guidance. Thinks it’ll be possible to find the island by nightfall.

No. She does not make it to Vas by nightfall, nor is she able to land there the next day. No. It takes two entire days plus some odd hours, before she finally locates her destination. Two days of traversing the northern waters step by step, dozens, maybe hundreds of feet above the sea’s bottom. Sleeping on sandy shores at night. Eating sparingly, hoping the rations of food she's got in her pack will last. And of course, dealing occasionally with nuisances such as mudcrabs or cliff racers.

Thankfully, she doesn’t encounter any more hungers.

Day 170, early morning
By the time she reaches Vas, she'd cast her water-walking spell so many times, her skills within the Alteration school increased to the point she feels much more confident. Each time the spell was cast, she'd have half a minute before it wore off. She'd gotten into the habit of counting each time, counting to thirty, that is. As long as she was able to successfully re-cast before that half-minute expired, she was also able to continue striding over the waves.

But, there were plenty of times she'd be walking over the sea and forgotten to count. Plenty of times her attempts at the spell would fizzle, over and over and over. Either way, she'd abruptly find herself falling into salty water!

"Are you here from the Fighters Guild? Shall we fight together against these foul necromancers?"

This is asked by Ulyne Henim, a Bouyant Armiger from the Tribunal who's somehow standing outside of a solid door on the small island of Vas just as Joan arrives. How long has she been standing out here? Or did Ulyne (by chance) just arrive?

"Aye. Joan of the Fighters Guild. Might I perchance inquire how long it is you've been present, here upon Vas?"

"We must bring justice to the foul necromancer Daris Adram!" is Ulyne's enthusiastic answer. "Daris is here in Vas."

"Is he now? Splendid."

It might seem Ulyne's just avoided a direct answer to Joan's question. But considering she already knows Daris is in the tomb, it can be assumed the Armiger has been here at least overnight.

"Shall we enter?"

"Perhaps we might firstly conversate," is Joan's answer. "That we shall firstly consider one another's methods of warfare and magic, eh?" ... Nothing worse than going into melee situations without knowing your partner's style of skirmishing.

"You do me too much honor." The Armiger is pleased.

IPB Image

Like a true native, Ulyne wears chitin; the former exoskeletons of full-sized arthropods. She wields a two-handed staff made of steel. After a few minutes of mock-sparring, she and Joan encounter a small surprise: a rat decides to clamber down the hill and attack!

"Hah!" the Tribunal woman shouts. First, she casts a spell which summons an ancestral ghost, next she starts swinging her staff. Joan takes note of these actions, especially the ghost. It's important to know such things beforehand, see?

The crusader decides to give her new partner a few potions, all of them brewed for healing. And into Vas they go!

Turns out, Vas is an ancestral tomb, one of many across the land. The Cyrodiilian spies a skeleton in a nearby hallway, so she readies the spell which will cause this meager undead to turn away.

"Might you willingly stand aside a moment, while I forge ahead?" she asks the Armiger quietly.

"Alright," Ulyne grunts.

Joan motions forward slowly, both hands raised and ready. The skeleton clicks its way back and forth, roughly forty feet down the corridor. Joan aims her hands, and releases their magic. *Vwoom!* and her spell is successful. The skeleton flees for nearly a minute, clicking and clacking away. By the time its turning wore off, and the bony corpse returned, Joan and Ulyne had formed a co-strategy. After some brief discussion, they both attack the bag of bones in tandem, taking it down efficiently from both sides. Teamwork during combat, at its best.

----------------

But their excursion into the rest of the tomb didn’t continue toward ultimate success. As they delved deeper within, the pair encountered another skeleton. At the same time, they also faced a bonelord: a fierce, four-armed sentry which could cast its own magic, bonelords are apparently impervious to turning spells. The melee turned truly chaotic as more undead joined the fight. Joan and Ulyne became separated. Joan’s health and energies diminished while facing a second bonelord! - She was forced to save her own life, returning toward Vas’s entrance while her new companion became over-exuberant, rushing headfirst into whatever desecrated fiends populated below.

Even while concluding her brawl with the second monster, Joan already knew the Armiger had fallen. Sure enough, Ulyne Henim was found in a room and two hallways below the surface. She had fought valiantly. Joan could see this because Ulyne was nearby not one but two former attackers.

The crusader checked Ulyne's possessions, not to loot, but to properly arrange for afterlife. Only one of the five potions she'd given to Ulyne remained.

The finest warriors are those who know when to cut their losses, and admit present defeat, were the words Joan remembered as she reluctantly returned to surface. As Gaiden Shinji once said, the best techniques are those passed on by the survivors.

Daris, Necromancer of Vas, still remained somewhere within. probably gloating within darkness, proud to have beaten the incomers. He must be stopped! But Joan's supplies of food and potions had by then dwindled crucially low.

The crusader reached into her satchel, where a single scroll of Divine Intervention was lodged in case of emergencies. She'd used these sort of scrolls in the past, what they did was send the reader off to whichever Aedric shrine was closest. Moments later, Joan Marie of Cyrodiil force-traveled, magically appearing before Fort Darius, in Gnisis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dueling a brigand and cliffie (u g0 g1rL!)

Fighting the rat with Ulyne

Inside of Vas indifferent.gif

Bashing a Bonelord 🦴

Bonelords creep us out

Lopov'd

NOTES: The hunger's thrown spells are Corrode Armor and Corrode Weapon, but apparently these spells are weak because Joan's gear wasn't too damaged. When the creature gets into touching range, it can also Paralyze. sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:46 AM